March 28, 2024, 05:59:33 AM

Author Topic: 2011: The Unexpected Season for Kim Collins  (Read 1568 times)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
2011: The Unexpected Season for Kim Collins
« on: November 21, 2011, 08:42:09 PM »
http://www.caribbeantracklife.com/current-features/2011/11/13/2011-the-unexpected-season-for-kim-collins

2011: The Unexpected Season for Kim Collins
by O'Neil A. Reid, posted on 11/13/2011

The 2011 season was more than Kim Collins expected. He went to Daegu just to have fun and to run fast. But the 35-year-old St. Kitts and Nevis native, a former Commonwealth Games (Manchester 2002) and World (Seville 2003) 100m champion was perhaps the most surprising performer in Daegu, capturing the 100m bronze medal in 10.09secs (-1.4ws) behind Yohan Blake (Jamaica/9.92) and Walter Dix (USA/10.08). He then followed up that performance by leading a young St. Kitts team to bronze in the 4x100m relays behind the Jamaican world-record team. A member of the sub-10 club (9.98), Collins later took his craft to the Pan-Am Games in Guadalajara, Mexico where he won the 100m silver.

So how does Collins, who was participating in his 7th World Championship in Daegu, manage to stay among the best for so long? The answer is an open secret: proper nutrition and the right amount of training.

“You have to know your body, and I think I was fresh going into Daegu because I try not to over-train my body. You can’t train hard all of the time. You have to control your training because too much training can be bad for your body,” Collins shared. Proper nutrition is also important to him, and even though he insists he does not have a restrictive diet, he consumes everything in moderation.

Commenting on his mindset prior to Daegu, Collins said: “At first, I was questioning whether it even made sense to go [to Daegu] since guys were running some crazy times. I later decided to go to have fun and hope for the best.”

The Daegu Experience

In the Daegu 100m finals, Collins got a brilliant start that put pressure on the rest of the field before he was overtaken by Blake and Dix. “My start is the best part of my race,” he said. “I just have to continue to work on the other parts [phases]. I know I could have gone faster. We were running into a headwind. I feel I could have run maybe 9.99.

“And going into the 4x100 relays, we just wanted to run a fast time. You have to be realistic. The Jamaicans and Trinidadians were running fast times. But you just never know [what can happen]. We just wanted to give it our best shot,” said Collins, who was very satisfied with his St. Kitts team snatching the bronze medal (38.49), behind Jamaica (37.04) and France (38.20)

The veteran sprinter is also instrumental in teaching, motivating and providing guidance to his younger teammates. “As a senior member of the team, I try to help out the young guys as best as I can,” he said, humbly refusing to take credit for “coaching” the relay team as has been reported in the media.

Collins is very excited about the St. Kitts sprint relay team and feels that the team has experienced some degree of success this year and has a very bright future.

Injured at Pan-Am

A confident Collins capped his unexpected 2011 season with silver in the 100m (10.04), behind Jamaica’s Lerone Clarke (10.01) at the October Pan-Am Games in Guadalajara, Mexico despite tearing his hamstring in the finals. The hamstring injury kept him from competing in the 4x100 relay, leaving him to watch his teammates take the silver medal in 38.81 behind Brazil (38.18).

“Pan-Am was an unbelievable experience for me,” Collins reflected. “I should not have finished the race [100m finals] because I stumbled and tore my hamstring. But I told myself that pain is temporary.  That was the first time that I have experience a serious injury during my career.”

London 2012

“I have had a lot of success this past year and I am looking forward to the Olympics [London 2012]. This will be my 5th Olympics and it is my best and last chance of getting an Olympic medal,” the perennial sprinter declared. “I don’t think I want to wait until my 6th Olympics to get a medal.”  Currently rehabbing his torn hamstring, Collins insists that London 2012 success will come as a result of proper training and nutrition, and the right mindset. Perhaps, for him, his stellar 2011 season was, indeed, a sign of things to come.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2011: The Unexpected Season for Kim Collins
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 04:38:13 AM »
Does Bolt really need to call it quits?

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 11:46:34 AM »

Yes, go out on top.  Kim is competitive to a certain degree but he not winning medals.  Bolt wants to win not make semis or finals 4-5 years from now.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 11:52:26 AM »

Yes, go out on top.  Kim is competitive to a certain degree but he not winning medals.  Bolt wants to win not make semis or finals 4-5 years from now.

:thumbsup:

Bolt should go out on top, what else is there that is left for him to prove now?!

The only think left for Bolt to do is to lower both his world records which I think will become harder and harder for him to do after he has passed the age of 30.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 12:04:17 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

1]; } ?>