March 28, 2024, 08:09:11 PM

Author Topic: Boxing in TT cah ketch a break nah.  (Read 14931 times)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Boxing in TT cah ketch a break nah.
« on: December 09, 2011, 04:03:50 AM »
They go wait until two days before a card to inform a man if he have funding or not ::)

I notice Roberts and Warner had plenty criticism for their spending on sport but now he eh no friggin better.

======================

Tobago boxing card postponed
By WALTER ALIBEY Friday, December 9 2011

click on pic to zoom inTOMORROW’S boxing card in Tobago has been postponed indefinitely.

Promoter Jason Fraser did not get his entire $553, 000 budget approved by the Trinidad and Tobago Boxing Board yesterday. The card was expected to feature Ria Ramnarine in a main Mini Flyweight contest against Mayerli Altamar of Colombia as well as a number of top amateur boxers.

“I submitted a budget for $553, 000 three weeks ago to the Trinidad and Tobago Boxing Board and only yesterday I learnt that they approved only $141, 000. This is not enough because my card also comprises kick-boxing and football” Fraser said.

He explained his club Dark Warriors have been on a development drive throughout Tobago to discover new talent in kick-boxing and revive the sport of boxing.

Fraser in a telephone interview yesterday confirmed that the kick-boxing card which, is co-funded by Andre “The Beast” Fraser will go on as planned. The card has been labelled “The Last Man Standing” and will feature five kick-boxing matches. A disappointed Fraser said that top kick-boxing English official Stuart Nubley has been brought down for the card. Nubley is also a recognised promoter and match-maker in kick-boxing who is affiliated with Britain’s kick-boxing Academy Spartan.

Nubley is expected to honour Fraser for his outstanding contribution to the sport tomorrow.

VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Boxing in TT cah ketch a break nah.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 11:40:13 PM »
Trinidad Guardian

The granting of a $1.9 million boxing card to the son of the T&T Boxing Board of Control (TTBBC) Special Adviser Boxu Potts has allegedly led to the axing of board members—president Abduul Haqq and Ricardo Phillips, while board members Janette Dennis and Mala Nasib were allegedly terminated for failing to carry out directives. Sunday Guardian learned that all four members were on the TTBBC ‘hit list’ long before a decision was taken to axe them after they reportedly butted heads with Potts over several directives with which they failed to comply. But Potts who was appointed on October 10 last year, yesterday insisted that the members were relieved for failing to comply with the necessary guidelines.

The TTBBC special adviser also confirmed to Sunday Guardian that his son Givoanni applied for the card to finance an event scheduled for Boxing Day (December 26) at Jean Pierre Complex, Port-of-Spain. “My son is a boxing promoter. There are five promoters in T&T and my son is free to apply for whatever card he wants in this country. It is not an allegation, my son has the right to apply for a boxing card. “When a promoter applies for a boxing card they have to submit a budget. The boxing board would make a decision to recommend to the Ministry of Sports for funding. A person can apply for $100 million but it is the Boxing Board to recommend how much money they would give,” Potts stated. It was in a letter dated November 15, Giovanni of Unified Promoter’s Boxing Association of T&T wrote to Haqq requesting the card to promote the event.

The letter stated: “The above mentioned is applying to the TTBBC to promote a professional and amateur boxing card, with mixed martial art and wrestling as added attraction on the said card.  This event is scheduled for December 26, 2011 (Boxing Day) at the Jean Pierre Complex, Port-of-Spain. However, please bear in mind bout(s) are subject to change, as you are aware boxing is a hurting sport and from time to time fighters may be hurt in preparation for their upcoming fights.” Also expected to join the line-up are two amateur bouts, two mixed martial arts bouts and two wrestling bouts. It was this letter, Sunday Guardian learned, that created the contention and prompted the matter to be reported to the Integrity Commission.

Phillips: I was fired for opposing directives
Phillips maintained yesterday that he was given the boot because he refused to support the granting of the card to Pott’s son. “It is wrong! I wanted absolutely no part of the granting of that boxing card so I walked out of that meeting. We have the special adviser of TTBBC and his son is applying for a boxing card from TTBBC, how could this be right? I could not sit there and support the granting of that boxing card. Other members supported it; but it is just not right and I considered it heading down a dangerous path. We were told that members were going to pay the price and that is exactly what transpired.” The ex-board member further claimed that other promoters were being sidelined in favour of “preferred promoters”.

Phillips said while TTBBC acknowledged that the boxing fraternity needed to be revamped, the proper process was not being followed. “What was happening is different strokes for different folks. There was a particular instance where the board felt a particular individual should be supported given that she was from Laventille and after migrating got recognition in Canada. The special adviser agreed to the boxing card and at the last minute informed the board that he was not satisfied with the boxer’s record. The doctor’s medical report gave the boxer the all clear to fight but two days before the fight the boxing card was reduced from $900,000 to $296,000.

“However, days later we received a request for a boxing card for $1.9 million. We raised concerns before and nobody wanted to listen. Things reached to a stage where board members were being told if you do not support something then you would be replaced. Quite frankly, we were being asked to consent to weird and unusual requests and I felt enough is enough. Those that were fired were the ones that opposed directives.” When contacted, Nasib refused to comment on the issue only saying: “I learnt I was fired via the media. I received no official communication from the minister or the ministry. It is disappointing because we do not know what we were fired for.” Haqq, however, declined comment. Several attempts to reach Dennis proved futile.

Potts: Board members committed a violation
Potts, however, had a different story to tell. He said contrary to the World Boxing Champion rules, the relevant medical tests and contracts were not in place for the issuance of a boxing card granted two months ago. “One of the main things that allowed these people to get fired is that they allowed a boxing card to be permitted against my best advice. I had first agreed for the card to be given to the promoter but when I realised that a HIV test was not conducted I objected. No boxer can fight without a HIV and pregnancy test in the world and they allowed this to happen.

“Where are these documents? Once these tests are not conducted you may as well play Russian Roulette. They did not follow the guidelines and found themselves in hot water and are now looking for red herrings,” an irate Potts stated. On Friday, the sacked board members were replaced by new appointees Sam Worrel, Neil Greaves and Collin Mills.

Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 01:01:56 AM »
What I don't understand is why Anil Roberts thought the Board needed a "Special Advisor." That is another way of saying run things when you have a conflict of interest????

Well he had no problem with J.Warner doing it ...Now go and fOK up boxing too.

VB

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 04:50:00 AM »
boxing bacchanal
Minister, Potts reported to Integrity Commission
By Ian Prescott (Express).

Sport Minister Anil Roberts and Buxo Potts, the former promoter he appointed as Special Adviser to the Trinidad and Tobago Boxing Board of Control (TTBBC) have been reported to the Trinidad and Tobago Integrity Commission, along with Ashwin Creed, Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Sport and Youth Affairs.

Boxing Board member Ricardo Phillip had submitted the complaint against the three men in a letter dated December 3, two days before he was among four members of the Board sacked by Roberts on Monday, December 5. He is alleging inappropriate action by the trio in a number of matters related to the distribution of funds and the hiring of Board personnel.

The four sacked officials are former deputy chairman Yaqub Abdul-Haqq and ordinary board members Janet Dennis, Mala Nasib and Phillip. They have been replaced by newly-appointed chairman, attorney Annabelle Davis, the People's Partnership candidate for Port of Spain North/St Ann's West, Ruth Marchan, Colin Mills (Tobago) and Neale Greaves.

On Friday, Potts handed out instruments of appointment to the four newcomers at the Ministry of Sport. Replying to questions about his part in the distribution, Potts said he was given the role because both the Minister and permanent secretary were out on assignment. However, Creed was in the building and seen entering his office on the fourth floor of the Ministry, a few minutes before the media conference began.

Potts was asked why the four were fired and replied: "All Board members are appointed at the Minister's behest, and the Minister was not satisfied with their performance.

However, Phillip's letter to the Integrity Commission paints a picture of a Boxing Board in conflict.

Phillips' letter dated December 3, was sent to Martin Farrell, registrar of the Integrity Commission and copied to Dave Bobb, Director of Sports, Ministry of Sports and Youth Affairs.

In the header the letter states: "This letter represents my complaints to Members of the Board with regards to the Minister, the Permanent Secretary (Mr. Creed) and Mr. Boxu Potts. It was sent to my fellow members two days after my refusal to support a boxing card for Mr. Potts and his son. My position is keeping within the laws of Trinidad and Tobago and specifically the Integrity in Public Life Act chapter 22:01."

Efforts to reach Sports Minister Anil Roberts by telephone were unsuccessful.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 11:32:33 PM »
UNFOUNDED
PS Creed refutes letter, boxing card allegations
By Roger Seepersad

Ashwin Creed, Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Sport, has refuted allegations brought against him and his Ministry by former Trinidad and Tobago Boxing Board of Control (TTBBC) member Ricardo Phillip, in a letter to the Integrity Commission, as "unfounded".

Creed was speaking at a media conference at the Ministry's headquarters in Port of Spain yesterday, when he insisted that no money was or will be given to Unified Promoters' Boxing Association for a Boxing Day card.

"Unequivocally, no money has been given to the Unified Promotions for any upcoming fight. Not one dollar, not 1.9 million dollars," said Creed.

He also addressed other allegations cited in Phillip's letter to the Integrity Commission, stating: "I have no family in this Ministry. I have no family in the Boxing Board. Mr (Boxu) Potts was never a member of the Boxing Board. He is an adviser to the Board. There is nothing before us except for the request for the $1.9 million. There is no other request coming from the Board to refute what was sent for this fight."

Creed said the Ministry will be moving in a different direction when it comes to boxing over the next six months. He said the future of boxing has to be about development.

"In the future months we will not be funding any professional card until we are satisfied that we are seeing a proper development programme coming about. For the next six months, the focus will be on development of boxing and given this new dispensation, the new Board will have to come up with a plan for this development," Creed explained.

But while the Ministry will not be funding professional boxing cards for the next few months, Creed insisted: "We deliberated and we thought it best that the major activity of the (Boxing Day) card be transferred to the Tobago card and we will give support in that direction."

About the letter to the Integrity Commission, Creed said: "We are not moved by any letter sent to the Integrity Commission because, at the end of the day, you have to prove your allegations.

"All we have seen are email letters to the Integrity Commission...levelling certain allegations of which all are unfounded.

"And what are the allegations? Employment?" he asked.

"The Ministry does not employ members of the Boxing Board, the Board is empowered to hire their people. And any card coming to the Ministry is vetted by our sports department. At the end of the day, it is what we feel judiciously that we should approve," he said.

Minister of Sport Anil Roberts, in his address at the launch of the Spirit of Sport awards at Hyatt Regency hotel earlier yesterday, alluded to the controversy over the money for the proposed Boxing Day card and gave a breakdown of how the Ministry deals with requests for funding.

"All officials here can make any requests. They can ask for a billion dollars, this does not make a Guardian headline. What makes the headline is what you actually get based on the merit of your request," said Roberts.

"So the process begins with the request. It could be $1.9 million. It goes through a boxing board who should go through it and see what makes sense and what does not make sense.

"It is then passed on to the Ministry of Sport who will go through it, analyse everything, vet it and come down and say that is too much," he explained.

Creed also alluded to "serious governance issues" in the TTBBC as one of the reasons for the recent removal of four Boxing Board members.

The four sacked officials are former deputy chairman Yaqub Abdul-Haqq and ordinary board members Janet Dennis, Mala Nasib and Phillip. They have been replaced by newly-appointed chairman, attorney Annabelle Davis, the People's Partnership candidate for Port of Spain North/St Ann's West in the 2010 general election, Ruth Marchan, Colin Mills (Tobago) and Neale Greaves.

Creed said: "Over the last couple of months we have received a lot of information regarding the operations of the Board and particularly where state funds are concerned. There are serious governance issues that the Ministry now has to deal with.

"Issues in relation to unauthorised stipends being paid outside of the normal stipend and this does not happen with the Sports Company and other Boards...members of the Board being paid for services and members of Boards being paid for contracts.

"This information will now be receiving the attention of the audit department. They will make recommendations and we will take if forward.

"This is one of the reasons why the Minister had to make the decision he made in terms of changing board members. It was a decision in the interest of boxing and the management of State funding. I am about treating with the facts and what is before me does not look very pleasant at all," said Creed.

"It is very, very alarming. I will not go into the details of it because it is now receiving the attention of the audit department and when that is finished, then we will see then who should be reported to the Integrity Commission."

Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 03:56:26 AM »
Creed: What $1.9 million?
T&T Guardian

Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Sport (MOS) Ashwin Creed, yesterday denied reports that the Ministry has approved a $1.9 million boxing card for promoter Giovanni Potts, son of Special Advisor  to the Ministry, Boxu Potts. Creed, along with newly appointed T&TBBC chairperson Annabelle Davis, Buxo Potts, and veteran boxer Kirt Sinnette, held a media conference at the MOS building, Abercromby St, Port of Spain, yesterday to clear the air on the card which has gained in controversy following the sacking of several members of the Boxing Board. Creed said no money has been given to the Unified Boxing Promoters, which is headed by the younger Potts.

Reports previously suggested that the Ministry had accepted a proposal for the high-profiled bout. Creed, however, indicated differently, saying a request was delivered to the ministry pending approval, but thus far, nothing has been accepted. He added that the $1.9 million budget for the Boxing Day card was not unusual but pointed out that while the Ministry has received a proposal, nothing has been agreed. He said the Ministry normally funds 30 to 40 per cent of what the card costs, so even if the Unified Boxing Promoters were asking for $1.9 million, that would not be given to them. Davis, who was recently appointed chairman said the card was approved by the TTBBC board member Zaid Mohammed in his capacity as vice-chairman, and therefore was sent to the Ministry.

Previous chairman Yaqub Abdul-Haqq did not sign of on the proposal for the card and was later relieved of his post, along with former ordinary board members Janet Dennis, Mala Nasib and Ricardo Phillip. Advisor Potts  said it was because Minister Anil Roberts was dissatisfied with their performances. Phillips is reported to have written to the T&T Integrity Commission, pointing out several inconsistencies in the way the Unified Boxing Promoters card was dealt with. Creed hit back at Phillips saying his behaviour may be subjected to an investigation. “Some of the matters are before the auditors, but then we will see who should be reported to the Integrity Commission.” Potts took a swipe at promoter Tansley Thompson, along with Haqq and Phillip, all of whom he accused of failing to comply with the boxing governing body’s regulations. “They were all aware of irregularities and  ignored them.”

Davis, who ran for the Congress of the People (COP) Port of Spain North/St Ann's West seat during the last general election, said that the TTBBC is left with a “mopping-up” exercise and that emphasis will be given to the development of the sport from the ground up. Sinnette, who won a bronze medal in the men's light middleweight at the Pan Am Games in 1995 admitted to fighting recently without a contract as well as expired blood tests. Sinnette claimed he was ignorant of the regulations by the World Boxing Council which indicated that HIV testing must be done two to four weeks prior to a fight. He said that the issue is not an unusual one and that it is not the fault of the promoter, but that of the board. “They sometimes overlook it (cases of ensuring contracts are in place and HIV testing).”
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 10:26:12 PM »
boxing Tribunal
Action threatened against ex-Boxing Board members
By Ian Prescott ian.prescott@trinidadexpress.com

Sport Minister Anil Roberts was not present. However, Trinidad and Tobago Boxing Board of Control (TTBBC) special adviser Boxu Potts yesterday held a press conference at the Ministry of Sport, where he declared that the Minister had instigated audit proceedings, and that in the coming months, fired former members of the Board will have to appear before a tribunal to answer charges that may be brought against them.

"I was advised by the Minister that there will be an audit. The legal agencies will do their work and we will see how this ends," Potts said. "Based on the finding of the audit you will see where the Minister and the Permanent Secretary will take it. A tribunal will be held and based on where this goes, people will have to answer questions."

Recently, former acting chairman Yaqub Abdul-Haqq and ordinary board members Janet Dennis, Mala Nasib and Ricardo Phillip were fired by Sport Minister Anil Roberts, and replaced by newly-appointed chairman, attorney Annabelle Davis, Ruth Marchan, Colin Mills (Tobago) and Neale Greaves. They were accused of not doing their jobs. However, while still a Board member Ricardo Phillip wrote the Integrity Commission, making a complaint with regards to the Minister, Permanent SecretaryAshwin Creed and Potts. Phillip said his position was in keeping within the laws of Trinidad and Tobago and specifically, the Integrity in Public Life Act chapter 22:01.

Former chairman Abdul-Haqq subsequently complained that there was a conflict of interest overshadowing the Board involving special adviser Potts. Among the issues Haqq listed were Potts' contract and his position of influence as it related to his son Giovanni Potts, a major boxing promoter whose fight promotions company has in the past benefitted from Government financial grants.

Yesterday Potts issued a press conference invitation to the local media stating: "Please be advised that special adviser to the Trinidad and Tobago Boxing Board of Control Boxu Potts will respond to statements made by the former chairman of the Board (Abdul-Haqq)."

However, Potts largely side-stepped the issue of a conflict of interest involving himself and the Boxing Board. Instead, he showed documents alleging financial indiscretions involving the fired Board members. Potts subsequently accused several of his recent detractors of similar conflict of interest issues and said the Ministry will act on the accusations. In response to this, Potts was asked that, having known about such irregularities, why didn't he inform the Minister?

"Three months ago, a comprehensive report was given to the Minister and he acted on it," Potts said.

Potts also claimed Sport Minister Anil Robert did not hire him, stating: "I am categorically not a member of the Trinidad and Tobago Boxing Board," Potts declared yesterday. "I am an employee of the Board. It is the Minister who employs the Board. He does not employ the Board staff. "

However, Potts was named special adviser at the same time the former Board was announced in 2010 by the Ministry of Sports and Youth Affairs. The Board which was then chaired by Dr. Kenneth Sebastian Smith, had not yet had a first meeting at the time of his appointment.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 02:12:28 AM »
Integrity Commission begins boxing probe
Published:
Sunday, February 5, 2012
Anika Gumbs-Sandiford

Sports Minister Anil Roberts
The Integrity Commission has officially commenced a probe into three Ministry of Sport and Youth Affairs officials for alleged misbehaviour in public office. Sport Minister Anil Roberts, his permanent secretary Ashwin Creed and the T&T Boxing Board of Control (TTBBC) special adviser Boxu Potts are under investigation relating to allegations of conflict of interest, a breach of proper procedures and hiring practices at the ministry. When contacted yesterday chairman of the commission Ken Gordon did not deny the commencement of the probe but said he was unable to comment on the matter at this time. “You know it is not our business to say what we have started to do or not,” Gordon said.

The D’Abadie/O’Meara Member of Parliament is the first Cabinet minister to be under investigation by the commission since the People’s Partnership assumed office more than 18-months ago. It was the vociferous Roberts who called on his former colleague Mary King to step down when allegations surfaced involving a relative. King’s appointment as Minister of Planning and the Economy was subsequently terminated. The Sunday Guardian understands that the commission’s investigators—Andrew John and Lester Nicholas—commenced investigations on February 2 following allegations of misbehaviour in public office by former TTBBC board member Ricardo Phillip. The investigators, Sunday Guardian learnt, interviewed Phillip on Thursday in relation to the allegations. Phillip confirmed to Sunday Guardian yesterday that he was questioned by the investigators in relation to the complaint against the three officials.

“Yes, I was interviewed by the commission in specific areas relating to matter. All I would say at this point is that I was questioned in relation to Potts’ contract, funding for professional boxing cards and the hiring of people at TTBBC. I was also asked if I was given reasons or told what were the grounds for my dismissal from the board and I was unable to say because I was never told. This is all I am prepared to say at this point because the matter is now the subject of an ongoing investigation,” the former board member stated. indicating Phillip was sacked from the board days after he refused to support the granting of a $1.9 million boxing card to Unified Promoter’s Boxing Association that is owned by Giovanni Potts, who is the son of Boxu Potts. Also sacked was president of the board Abduul Haqq while board members Janette Dennis and Mala Nasib were allegedly terminated for failing to carry out directives. The $1.9 million grant was expected to fund a Boxing Day (December 26) card scheduled for Jean Pierre Complex, Port-of-Spain.

However, following a Sunday Guardian exposé, the ministry back-peddled, suspending the disbursement of funds and indicating that the ministry was not prepared to support the venture. Phillip wrote to the Integrity Commission in December alleging a conflict of interest between TTBBC special adviser and his son Giovanni, who is also a boxing promoter. Phillip also alleged that the attorney on the board was not privy to several benefits listed in Potts’ contract. According to the contract, apart from the $15,000 retainer fee, Potts also receives the following monthly benefits:
• Automobile allowance—$ 3,500
• House allowance—$5,000
• Phone allowance—$1,500

All other expenses incurred by Potts in relation to travel, accommodation, meals and per diem are paid by the board. In his letter to the commission Phillip, who was also a member of the technical committee, stated that he raised issue with the $1.9 million boxing card after Potts allegedly vilified him for approving a $986,000 boxing card for Sure Promotions. Phillip also alleged that the hiring procedure used to recruit the office manager was not above board and cited breach of confidentiality. In his complaint to the commission, Phillip further claimed that board members were threatened after issues were raised over the $5,000 per month salaries that were paid to three people.

Four attempts to contact Roberts by telephone for a comment on the matter proved futile yesterday afternoon and up to press time the minister also failed to respond to a text message sent to his cellular phone. However, when Sunday Guardian contacted Creed he said the commission did not inform him of the investigation. “I have not been informed that I am being investigated. Today is the first time I am hearing that I being investigated,” Creed stated. Attempts to contact Potts were also unsuccessful.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 02:13:31 AM »
This should be a lesson to the TTFF this is how men with balls handle their business. They may not win. However, they are ensuring the TTBBC does not become another administrative and autocratic mess like the TTFF.

VB

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 09:01:34 AM »
Roberts sheds light on TTBB dismissals
Saturday, March 10 2012

Newsday

Anil Roberts...
SPORT MINISTER Anil Roberts shed some light in Parliament surrounding the recent dismissal of Trinidad and Tobago Boxing Board members with an ex-member coming in for stern criticism.

“It arose whether anybody on the Boxing Board had a record and on searching for the answer, we found that to be true.

Roberts said the ex-member was removed based on that and also because of other breaches.

According to the Minister, other members were removed because they did not follow the governing legislation of the board.

He told Parliament it was found that contracts issued to fellow board members as well as unauthorised travel abroad contributed to a disregard of protocol.

Roberts pointed out that these all formed cogent reasoning as to the removal of the TTBB members which culminated in a series of protests with the protesting parties claiming unlawful dismissal and vilification.

Roberts made it clear that clarity was high on his agenda with this much-scrutinised affair which entangled him, Permanent Secretary, Ashwin Creed and TTBB special adviser Boxu Potts in a probe by the Integrity Commission,.

The Minister noted Potts’ contract in an advisory capacity, “follows the institutional norms for that position and is nothing untoward.”

He also touched on accusations of nepotism levelled against Creed and made it known that “not one relative of a public servant, the permanent secretary, was ever hired or employed by the boxing board.”

And he called for proof to be provided on several of the issues levied by the dismissed members.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 04:40:46 AM »

Haqq hits Sports Ministry
Sunday, April 22 2012

click on pic to zoom inCOMMONWEALTH Games silver medallist Tariq Abdul Haqq, has broken his silence over his absence from the nine-member Trinidad and Tobago boxing team to compete in the Olympic Qualifiers in Brazil next month.

Haqq, the most glaring and notable omission from the team, revealed that he chose not to go to the Olympics as he felt strained and frustrated representing the country under trying circumstances.

The 21-year-old, revealed, “I decided to stay quiet for a while on what was going on (with my boxing status) and why I’m not partaking in the qualifiers for the 2012 Olympics but (Trinidad and Tobago Boxing Board adviser) Boxu Potts was taking it too far speaking on my behalf, saying things that were not true.”

Haqq said that statements issued by Potts that he was injured and focusing on school were misleading and unwarranted.

He confirmed he had exams this year but insisted that this could have been worked around and foregone as he was fit to represent the country if the right support mechanisms were in place.

“I am not injured. I am ready to go. Once, the support structure is there, I want to represent my country but this is not the case so I opted against going to the Olympics,” he stated.

Haqq explained that no contact was made from any boxing officials to ascertain his status.

He said that his focus is on his legal studies as well as taekwondo and will not represent this country under the current boxing setup.

“Once the Government, Ministry of Sport and the Sports Company of Trinidad and Tobago decide to show appreciation, I will represent the nation.

“But there is a bandwagon mentality in TT, where they only ride your back once you are winning…and even in boxing, winning isn’t enough down here as it seems there is only respect for cricket and football,” he lamented.

The 2010 Central and American and Caribbean (CAC) Games bronze medallist admitted that boxing is a dangerous sport and will not subject his parents to spending their finances to cover his medical expenses.

He alleged that his father on several occasions had to use his own funds to cover medical costs and is still awaiting reimbursement.

“It’s a contractual performance every time I go out there and risk my health. There was no compensation for the fractured hand and broken nose I sustained,” Haqq noted.

The top boxer was critical of the administration of the Ministry of Sports and Sports Company of Trinidad and Tobago on the handling of the Elite Athletes funding.

Haqq said after the Commonwealth Games, he gained a portion of his Elite Athletes assistance grant to which he said he was entitled and not a favour.

“I was not given the full grant so I had to use private funds to do national service. That should not be the case.

“If I am representing TT, they should take care of me. I was not asking for anything outside of the mandatory requirements. I just wanted basic supplements and medical aid. It’s not cricket or football…I am bound to get injured,” he elaborated.

Haqq said that he would consider a return to boxing only if the TTBBC and the Trinidad and Tobago Amateur Boxing Association (TTABA) get their act together.

“It was distressful to keep plying a trade under these conditions. Olympics come once in a while but I have to do what’s right and see my main priority.

“People would say that I would be missing out on a sure medal (Olympic) but they wouldn’t understand,” Haqq said.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Haqq advised to let his boxing do the talking
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 02:50:05 AM »

Haqq advised to let his boxing do the talking
Thursday, May 31 2012

YOUNG boxer Tariq Haqq is being asked to let his talent in boxing do the talking for him, says a high ranking official of the Trinidad and Tobago Boxing Board who wish to remain anonymous.

Haqq, son of ex-boxing board president Yaqub Haqq who was sacked last year, has said he did not go to the Olympic Qualifiers in Brazil recently because of interference by certain members, particularly the board’s Special Adviser Boxu Potts. On a radio programme the young Haqq also called for Potts to resign from the sport if he is to return and represent Trinidad and Tobago again.

However the boxing board official called on Haqq to not allow personalities to hamper his progress in the sport. Newsday was reliably informed that Haqq’s absence from the Olympic qualifiers had been mainly because of an injury to his left index finger, for which he had received surgery on July 18, 2011.

A letter from the Fracture and Orthopaedic Clinic in St Clair stated that Haqq received a fracture of the left index finger from a boxing session. On August 23, Haqq had been advised that he could have started light training only as an x-ray showed that the fracture had been healing properly.

It is being said that Haqq faces a slim chance of full recovery in the sport because of the injury. Newsday learnt that the talented young boxer had been forced to compete at the World Championship Games in 2011 in Azerbaijan where he was defeated and his injury worsened. According to the boxing official “Young Haqq is a talented boxer who can progress to the top of the sport if he concentrates on getting his injured hand healed and then getting back into the ring. He must focus on his boxing and stop allowing petty personalities to hamper his career in the sport.”

But contacted yesterday Haqq, a budding Law student denied that he has any injuries. He made it clear it is because of the administration of the sport and particularly the involvement of Potts, that forced him to pull out of the sport.

Haqq said “I feel as though I am being victimised by the administration of the sport because of a recent fall-out they had with my father.”

He added “My form that was submitted to the Ministry of Sport to receive Elite Athletes Funding has magically disappeared and another document that needed the approval of the Trinidad and Tobago Boxing Board (TTBB) for me to be among the top athletes at the Spirit of Sports Awards, also went missing. It just seem like anything that needs the involvement of the boxing board, is misplaced and unaccounted for.”

The former St Mary’s College student also explained that he has been prevented from receiving the Elite’s Athletes Funding although he is being considered one. Haqq earn silver medal at the Commonwealth Games in 2010 but refused to contest the recent Olympic qualifiers in Brazil because of victimisation.

He is calling for fairness and accountability at the board, saying “I am perfectly fit and ready to fight whenever the need arises but there must be changes first.” Meanwhile the boxing board official is accusing Haqq of fighting someonelses fight.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 05:31:38 PM »
Wha it is exactly goin on with Carlos Suarez now?
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2012, 12:56:27 AM »
Strange, Dexter St. Louis needed money. Call Anil and get it in a minute.

This yute faddah fall out with the man Anil appoint as "Special Advisor," to the Board. He faddah get fired, up to now they cah prove any wrongdoing on his father's part. And now his application for special funding "lost."

::)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 02:02:49 AM »

Boxing board clear air on Elite funding
By WALTER ALIBEY Wednesday, June 13 2012

ANNABELLE DAVIS, chairperson of the Trinidad and Tobago Boxing Board (TTBB) is leading a campaign by her board to clear the air on what she said is a misconception about the criteria for receiving government’s Elite Athletes Funding.

She told Newsday it was necessary for such steps to be taken as athletes generally have been fed the idea that a package of $250,000 is at stake for those who win medals at international competitions.

The latest episodes Davis said comprised requests by boxers Carlos Suarez and Tariq Haqq for the $250,000, which is the maximum amount that is given by Government to athletes for their preparation for major international events.

But Davis last week, made it clear “This is not so.”

Equipped with a document detailing the criteria for the elite athletes funding, Davis said funding and the amount to be given, are totally dependent on the rank of the athlete internationally, rather than just receiving a medal at an international competition.

Supported by Special Adviser Boxu Potts, ordinary member Sharma Stroude and Trinidad and Tobago Amateur Boxing Association (TTABA) president Cecil Forde, Davis said the time had come for the truth to be revealed.

The document listed the criteria for receiving funding such as; athletes ranked in the World Top 15 positions will qualify for the $250,000; while athletes ranked from 16-40 in the world, will benefit up to $187,500 or 75 percent of the maximum sum.

It also stated that athletes who medal at specific games and championships will benefit on a case by case basis up to $75,000 which is 30 percent of the maximum.

This funding, according to the document, will be provided for athletes who undergo a four-year cycle of preparation and training leading up to an Olympic year.

Davis said that according to the requirements stated in the document, both Suarez and Haqq were not entitled to receive monies, although her board had been generous and decided to help them.

Forde confirmed that Haqq, who earned a silver medal at the 2010 Commonwealth Games in India is not ranked according to AIBA and Suarez is well outside the 16-40 ranking.

“As a matter of fact both boxers were only entitled to $75,000 each,” Davis and company said.

Only last week Suarez was handed a $75,000 cheque for qualifying for the Olympic Games.

Haqq, on the other hand received $150,000.

Davis expressed disappointment after both Suarez and his handlers and Haqq, criticised the board and certain members, for monies they felt were owed to them.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2012, 07:18:10 PM »
. This man Boxu Potts  campaign for our sports minister in the past general elections , he was endorse by our sports minister for the position he have right now .

Our sports minister comments quote : you could hate him ,don't trust him ,luv him ,don't like him I endorse him .

Annabelle Davis you are beginning to smell just like Boxu Potts an Anil ,you know what is going on and you would not try anything to stop it . 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 08:15:46 PM by zuluwarrior »
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2012, 10:52:31 PM »
. This man Boxu Potts  campaign for our sports minister in the past general elections , he was endorse by our sports minister for the position he have right now .

Our sports minister comments quote : you could hate him ,don't trust him ,luv him ,don't like him I endorse him .

Annabelle Davis you are beginning to smell just like Boxu Potts an Anil ,you know what is going on and you would not try anything to stop it . 

After all dam mouth on Spalk, Anil end up just like the rest of dem.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2012, 04:06:39 PM »
It is such a shame the badminded greedy  people we have controling sports and outher things in Trinbago ,these people are doing know kind of good for  our country ,these people are comitting crimes to the young promising athletes in our country and is time somthing is done to stop them.

Trinbagonians standup not just for wine and jam  party,standup for your children people.      

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2012, 05:07:32 PM »
Last Thursday September 6th on isports a boxer who name i can't remember at the moment came out and talk about boxu Putts real bad he said " he hate boxu putts" the guy quit boxing for Trinidad, he got hurt and his father paid $25,000 for medical treatment. he said "as long as boxu Putts involve in Trinidad boxing, it will never get anywhere" It was very sad to hear what this person had to say about boxing in T&T and boxu Putts.
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2012, 05:17:12 PM »
Davy this is the youth man  (Tariq Haqq)  what i cannot understand how so many crooks gather together in one politicial PP party. The thruff real big .

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2012, 08:46:42 AM »
Davy this is the youth man  (Tariq Haqq)  what i cannot understand how so many crooks gather together in one politicial PP party. The thruff real big .

Tarriq's father and about two or three others were fired from the Board because the protested the conflict of interest of having Potts there.
They were fired based on ubstantiated claims of misappropriation of funds.
More than a year later there is no proof against them but ample proof that Potts is benefitting, unabated, from his contradicting connections in the sport.

VB

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2012, 09:19:44 PM »
I heard ANAL defending the ag about the houses he buying i have a feeling he getting a back kick from potts

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bittersweet year for boxing
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2012, 08:53:24 PM »

Bittersweet year for boxing
Sunday, December 30 2012

click on pic to zoom in

Annabelle Davis Boxing Board President...
IT WAS a bittersweet year for the sport of boxing in Trinidad and Tobago.

Despite breaking a 16-year drought of having a boxer qualify for the Olympic Games, which was held in London, England, there still remains concerns about the sport’s administration which has led to the exit of key boxers and administrators.

Before the bell was sounded to begin the year in January, the two major administrators Boxu Potts, a Special Adviser to the Trinidad and Tobago Boxing Board (TTBB) and president of the Trinidad and Tobago Amateur Boxing Association (TTABA) Cecil Forde mended a near lifelong feud to work in the interest of the sport. Together with Annabelle Davis, the country’s first ever female boxing board president, their first assignment was to agree unanimously to allow foreign boxers with TT parentage to compete for the first time at the National Boxing Championship.

From the six boxers that came — America’s Carlos Suarez (flyweight), Lawrence Singh (flyweight), Glenford Nicky (welterweight), Earl Fletcher (heavyweightight, Sean Beckles and Canada’s Lexton Bates (light welterweight) — only Suarez, Singh and Bates progressed to the national team to contest the Olympic Qualifiers in Brazil in May.

They were among a nine-man team described by the administration as the strongest to represent TT at a qualifiers. But Potts, a self-proclaimed “Bible of Boxing” and his members were immediately asked to answer questions about the omission of Commonwealth Games silver medallist Tariq Haqq. And at a press conference at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in January, Potts explained that Haqq, a boxing prodigy who is also the son of sacked boxing board president Yacoob Haqq, had been studying for exams in Law.

Potts also said that Haqq had been recuperating from an injury he received at the Commonwealth Games final in 2009 in India. In the month that followed, Haqq responded by denying comments made by Potts that he was injured on a radio programme.

Haqq admitted that he had been studying for exams, but made it clear that he decided not to contest the qualifiers in the red, white and black of TT because the support structure was not there. He also hinted that the Ministry of Sports and the Sport Company of Trinidad and Tobago had been withholding Elite Athletes Funding from him. In one of the daily newspapers, Haqq was quoted as saying that he would not subject his parents to spend their finances to cover his medical bills and preparation for international competitions.

At the qualifiers, Suarez got an opening bout victory over David Rodriguez of Costa Rica and later disposed of Peru’s Enoc Rivera 3-3, 3-2 and 5-2 to advance to the semi-finals where he lost for the first time to Puerto Rican Jantony Marcano, the Pan American Games bronze medallist.

But Marcano went on to win the gold medal at the qualifiers which allowed Suarez to qualify for the Olympics on a technicality. The American-born TT boxer was the only boxer to secure a spot at the Olympics from the nine-man team. The team included Andrew Fermin (Middleweight), Declan Calliste, Singh, Bates, Michael Alexander (Lightweight), Aaron Prince, Devon Jones and Shakir Garcia.

Strangely Suarez’s qualification would lead to more confrontation with members of the boxing board as questions were raised over his preparation. The 18-year-old boxer, along with his father and trainer, returned to the US to continue their training. At the Olympics, however, he saw his attempt for a medal end in a flash when he was beaten in the first bout of the 46-49 kilogrammes contest by Turkey’s Ferhat Pehlivan 16-6 at the ExCel Exhibition Centre.

Pehlivan had a lopsided scorelines in the three rounds 5-2, 5-2 and 6-2 while Suarez received a warning from the officials in the final round. After the fight Suarez, although he was congratulated for his effort, announced that he will never fight for Trinidad and Tobago because of the administrators and a certain official.

Meanwhile the Davis-led board sought to set the sport in the right direction with a symposium for all the stakeholders at the Crowne Plaza hotel. There a five-year development plan had been announced, outlining five pillars to achieve success in the sport which included a re-introduction of the sport at the schools-level and the introduction of a community boxing programme called the ‘TT Gladiators Programme’ that targetted depressed communities.

Apart from these programme the five-year development plan comprised the launch of sporting academies in Siparia (The Siparia Sports Academy).

Arima (Yan’s Boxing Academy) and another academy in St George West. These programmes have received support from the Ministry of Sport and The Sport Company of TT and are expected to be in full flight in 2013.

Another initiative of the Davis-led board was the Nutritional Athletes Kitchen which is aimed at helping athletes with their nutrition. This is supposed to come into existence in 2013 as well. But in spite of the programmes, there continues to be concerns by promoters and coaches and boxers over the future of the sport.

Promoter Tansley Thompson was denied hosting a World Boxing Council (WBC) Super Bantamweight contest between TT’s Lisa “Bad News” Brown and Jackie Navas in TT in August and had to carry the fight in Navas’ hometown in Mexico. The fight was expected to be an Independence Day treat for the country.

Brown was beaten in the contest and Thompson said he is considering whether he should conduct anymore cards in TT under the current board. Thompson, an ex-jockey and footballer, said he was promised a letter of approval by the board soon after applying to host the card but has never received the letter. He has since called for drastic changes on the Board for the new year.

Another promoter, Giovanni Potts of the Unified Boxing Promotions, has quit to concentrate on his business while Joanne Balgobin and Floyd Trumpet of the Floyd Trumpet Fight Productions are complaining about lack of assistance from the Board to promote cards.

Meanwhile, the Board continues to receive criticisms from coaches for non-payment of stipends, with some coaches saying they have not been paid for nine months. They claim that on top of this, they are receiving threats from the TTBB and TTABA officials of being ousted.

Contacted recently, Davis, who became the third chairman of the boxing board following the resignation of Sebastien Kenneth Smith and the sacking of Yacub Haqq, has said the Board is currently awaiting to be re- instituted by the Government of TT.

“Like many State Boards, the life of the TTBB came to an end in October and members are awaiting approval from the Cabinet on who the new members would be.”

There were rumours recently that Davis had resigned from the board to pick up a more lucrative offer elsewhere, but she said she will be willing to serve the Government in any capacity.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2012, 07:19:58 AM »
 ANNABELL i told you before ,once upon a time i had respect for you  lately you are smelling like the people you associating with

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2013, 06:01:37 PM »

‘Friends’ call for better for boxing

Published: [/b]
Tuesday, March 5, 2013
Andrew Gioannetti

Text Size: 
A number of former T&T Boxing Board of Control (TTBBC) board members, some of whom are part of a non-affiliated group known as “Friends of Boxing”, are calling for an overhaul of the sport in the country.

Major renovations to the country’s most productive gyms, proper accountability and transparency at the governing level and equal opportunities to those who are capable of taking the sport further, were some of the issues raised at a press conference held at The Nu Pub, Ariapita Avenue, Port-of-Spain, yesterday.

Among the concerned parties present were Friends of Boxing’s Franchot Moore, Ricardo Phillip and Molly Boxhill, the latter of whom was a member of five different boxing boards and devoted over 40 years to the sport.

Boxing promoter, Tansley Thompson, who claimed that a request for approval for a major bout over a year ago was ignored, was a key speaker. Several other gym owners and managers were also in attendance.

Thompson called for support of the gyms which continues to strive, including Demetri Stroude’s Carenage-based Magic Boxing Gym, which was again named Best Boxing Gym, at the recently concluded National Amateur Boxing Championships.

Stroude’s gym, which trains over 40 boxers, sometimes floods and boxers are forced to practice in the street on Smith Hill. Sand City Gym, located in Siparia, was also represented at the press conference. The gym also trains several dozen athletes but is in a state of disrepair, with constant flooding.

But, Yan’s, a recently established boxing gym, owned by Potts enjoys all the necessary commodities, according to Moore. “So, why is Wamba’s (Sand City), in such a state?”

“Boxing in T&T is dead,” said Moore.

Moore, who has resided in the US for nearly 40 years is a former inspector, judge and referee as well as a member of the Florida, Washington State and Nevada Boxing Commission.

“We ask that the Prime Minister, the Minister of Justice and the Attorney General particularly take a look at what is going on.

“The monopolisation of the professional system by the clique leaves no other room for another promoter. Mr Jason Fraser, Floyd Trumpet, Tansley Thompson and many other promoters have lost a significant amount of money in this regard.”

The death of boxing was brought on in large part due to former promoter, Boxu Potts’ two-and-a-half year role as the TTBBC special advisor, according to Moore.

He said the governance of boxing is being handled undemocratically by Potts, under the watchful eye of the Minister of Sport, who Moore said claims to be an advocate in the exposure of corruption. He added that Potts remains in full control of the TTBBC and maintains a large influence in the T&T Amateur Boxing Association.

However, solutions were offered by Thompson to resolve some of the issues. “We must appoint people who have an interest in boxing.”

Thompson said there were several people who previously worked with the board, who had no interest in the sport. “We must have quarterly meetings with stakeholders. We have to monitor both troubled and talented boxers. Boxing is a sport which requires discipline,” said Thompson. “Boxers need to be introduced to a spiritual lifestyle.”

Finally, Thompson said an audit should be conducted for all monies disbursed to the TTBBC.
Sport
Related Articles:

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2013, 01:00:46 PM »

Anil faces DPP probe
Published:
Wednesday, March 20, 2013
Anika Gumbs-Sandiford

Text Size: 
Sport Minister Anil Roberts, his permanent secretary, Ashwin Creed, and special adviser to the T&T Boxing Board of Control (TTBBC), Boxu Potts, may have a case to answer as allegations of misbehaviour in public office against the trio have been referred to the Director of Public Prosecutions. The move by the Integrity Commission comes a year after sacked board member Ricardo Phillip filed a complaint against the three, alleging misconduct and misbehaviour in public office.

In a letter dated March 14, Integrity Commission Registrar Martin Farrell wrote to Phillip saying the matter had been referred to DPP Roger Gaspard. The letter, headed “Investigation by the Integrity Commission into complaint against the TTBBC,” said the commission had completed its probe of the complaint.

“In keeping with the requirements of Section 31 (1) of the Integrity in Public Act, Chpt 22.01, the Commission has referred this matter to the DPP,” it added. Phillip had written to the commission on December 3, 2011, calling for an investigation into the alleged misappropriation of funds at the TTBBC relating to several events. In addition, Phillip also raised issue with a $1.9 million boxing card that was applied for by Potts’ son Giovanni, who is also a  boxing promoter, citing an apparent conflict of interest.

In his letter, Phillip complained he was sacked because he did not support the funding of the $1.9 million card for the Boxing Day 2011 event, which was scheduled for Jean Pierre Complex, Port-of-Spain. Phillip wrote: “This letter represents my complaints to members of the board with regard to the minister, the permanent secretary (Mr Creed) and Boxu Potts.

“It was sent to my fellow members two days after my refusal to support a boxing card for Mr Potts and his son. My position is in keeping with the laws of T&T and specifically the Integrity in Public Life Act Chpt 22.01.” Telephone calls and messages to Roberts and Creed went unanswered yesterday.

However, Potts, when contacted told T&T Guardian he had not yet been informed the matter had been referred to the DPP. He said: “I am not aware of it and I am not at liberty to talk about it. If that has happened I will let it take its legal course. “I have no feeling. I really do not know what to expect. They chips will have to fall where they have to fall. I really do not have any expectation of anything. I have nothing more to say.”

Contacted for comment yesterday, Phillip told the T&T Guardian he felt vindicated by the Integrity Commission’s move to refer the matter to the DPP. “All the facts are going to come out and the public will realise what we are saying all along,” he said. “The allegations were not vague or malicious. They are based on painful experiences of what we have seen and stood against. There are those who tried to discredit because we were interfering with things that did not concern us, but we believed in God and country first.”

Phillip said the move must send a message to both existing and aspiring politicians that there are those who refuse to stand by and turn a blind eye to corruption. “The Prime Minister did not act even though we sent information, but what in the dark always comes to the light,” he said. “The Prime Minister has reneged on the promise to citizens of T&T to ensure transparent and a corruption-free type of governance.

“I will like to commend the Integrity Commission for completing this matter, because many thought they had no teeth to investigate. They have showed a certain degree of fearlessness in the execution of their duties.” Only last week, Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar wrote to former President George Maxwell Richards, advising him that President Anthony Carmona should be the one allowed to appoint a new Integrity Commission.

Boxu on the boxing card
In an interview with the Sunday Guardian on December 10, 2011, Potts confirmed his son Giovanni had applied for the boxing card. Potts said then: “My son is a boxing promoter. There are five promoters in T&T and my son is free to apply for whatever card he wants in this country. It is not an allegation, my son has the right to apply for a boxing card.

“When a promoter applies for a boxing card they have to submit a budget. The boxing board would make a decision to recommend to the Ministry of Sports for funding. “A person can apply for $100 million, but it is the boxing board to recommend how much money they would give.” In a letter dated November 15, 2011, Giovanni, of Unified Promoters Boxing Association, wrote to former deputy chairman Yaqub Abdul-Haqq asking for funding for the card.

Days later, Phillip, Abdul-Haqq and board members Janet Dennis and Mala Nasib were all sacked. The board members were axed after they reportedly butted heads with Potts over several directives with which they failed to comply.

News
Previous Article
Barbados stimulus package to create new jobsNext Article
Morgan Heritage back to basics

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2013, 01:09:54 AM »

Anil to answer questions about Boxing Board
Published:

Monday, April 1, 2013

Text Size: 
The Government is hoping to secure the support of at least four Independent senators when it presents the controversial Miscellaneous Provisions (Defence and Police Complaints) Bill, 2013 for debate in the Upper House tomorrow. Attorney General Anand Ramlogan is expected to present the legislation, which seeks to give soldiers the powers of arrest.

The legislation, which was approved in the House of Representatives last month, requires the support of at least four Independent senators to be passed. The six Opposition senators are expected to vote against the measure. The Police Social and Welfare Association, which also objects to the measure, said it would seek the support of the Independents to prevent passage of the legislation. Several trade unions have also objected to the measure.

Also at tomorrow’s sitting, Sport Minister Anil Roberts is expected to answer questions from Opposition senator Fitzgerald Hinds about the T&T Boxing Board of Control. The questions, which are listed for written response, were supposed to be answered since December 15, 2012.

Hinds is asking Roberts to state:
• the name(s) and professions/occupations of the members of the board
• their respective appointment dates
• whether anyone was appointed adviser to the board and if so who was that person and his full terms and conditions of engagement

Hinds also wants Roberts to tell legislators “whether any member of the said board has ever been convicted for any criminal offence and if so, on what dates and what was (or were) the sentence(s). Hinds also wants Roberts to say “whether a criminal conviction disqualifies a person from holding a board position.” Tomorrow’s sitting begins at 1.30 pm.

Sport

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2013, 04:29:01 AM »

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2013-04-08/buxo%E2%80%99s-boxing-ghosts

Buxo’s boxing ghosts
Published:
Monday, April 8, 2013
Anika Gumbs-Sandiford

Text Size: 

Boxu Potts
Five people who have never worked at Yan’s Sporting Academy in Arima are said to be owed outstanding salaries amounting close to $300,000. This came to light when a feud erupted between some employees of the academy and the T&T Boxing Board of Control’s special adviser Boxu Potts over non-payment of salaries to administrative staff and football and boxing coaches for the period July-December, 2012.

T&T Guardian investigations found that while retainer agreements showed the five people were on contract for the July-December period, attendance records at the academy indicate otherwise. Copies of the agreements showed some of the terms and conditions listed for the five include a monthly salary of $8,000 and a travelling allowance of $2,000. However, none of them ever reported for work at the academy.

The academy was set up in 2011 under the Unified Promoters Boxing Association, which is owned by Potts’ son Giovanni, who is also a boxing promoter. The Ministry of Sport and Youth Affairs funds the initiative. According to documents, the six-month programme was expected to run for four cycles over two years. It caters for children ages nine to 18 and is based at the Larry Gomes Stadium, Arima.

The first cycle of the programme was held from January to June 2011, followed by three other cycles ending in December 2012. The programme is now entering its fifth cycle, but workers are calling for an investigation into operations at the academy. “People must be made to account. Money is just passing through the academy and no questions are being asked. Just like in the Unemployment Relief Programme (URP), a ghost gang also exists in the academy,” a staff member claimed.

Last week, another staff member reported to the Arima police that there had been a threat on her life when she promised to expose the scam two weeks ago. When the T&T Guardian contacted newly appointed head of the academy, Amanda Potts, on Friday to ask why people who had never worked there were listed on the payroll, she asked: “You are calling me from the T&T Guardian and have that information?“

Potts then insisted that the T&T Guardian disclose how we obtained the contracts. Told that the contracts had been sent to the newspaper Potts then replied: “I am not in any position to disclose any information to you. I am not going to get into any discussion with anybody from the T&T Guardian who has nothing to do with the academy whatsoever. I am not going to get into this. I am sorry.”

On why there had been a breach of the agreement on payments to several coaches, Potts said: “I have no comment and please redirect your questions to Mr Potts.” Asked why questions were being referred to her father, Buxo Potts, when she is now the head of the academy, she said: “ Your questions need to be directed to Mr Potts. I am saying I am not having this conversation. Thank you for your call and enjoy the rest of your day.”   

But when the T&T Guardian contacted the elder Potts, he hung up the phone when asked to explain how contracts were awarded to people who had never worked at the academy. Sport Minister Anil Roberts did not respond to text messages on the matter.

Where the funds went
Financial documents showed a total of $719,930 was requested to roll out the fourth phase of the social programme, entitled Academic and Talent Identification, which ran from July to December. The documents show the claim for the five people who never worked at the academy was incorporated as part of the funding requested for salaries over the six-month period, which amounted to $402,000. 

Since the first phase of the academy began in 2011, documents list the elder Potts as the executive chairman, receiving a monthly salary of $15,000 and a travelling allowance of $3,000. In January Potts’ daughter Amanda replaced him at the helm. Additional funding was also requested for capital outlay set-up for the six-month period amounting to $132,200, including telecommunication services, video and digital cameras, office supplies, advertising and catering services.

Funding was also sought for boxing equipment, which amounted to $185,930.

No pay for coaches
Another bone of contention at the academy is the breach of contracts with some of the coaches who have not been paid their salaries as outlined in their contracts. Under the academy’s budget, which was submitted to the ministry for funding, a head coach is listed to receive a monthly salary of $5,000, while part-time coaches are to be paid $2,500.

However, in some instances, coaches have not been paid for the past year and in other instances they are being short-paid. Among those affected is former WBA World Lightweight title holder Claude Noel. Noel could not be reached for comment. Contacted for comment, assistant football coach Roger Maloney said he was not prepared to discuss the situation and his focus was on saving young people from getting involved in wrong activities.

Asked if he was receiving payments as outlined in his contract, Maloney ducked the question, saying: “The contract stated I was supposed to get $2,500. It was signed in July 2012. “At the end of the day I deal with kids that have the potential to go astray. This is not only a money issue but a humanitarian issue. “They are the important factor at this time.”

Former co-ordinator Carlene Mc Carthy said she is no longer employed at the academy. Asked if she had resigned because of non-payments, she said: “I was told the academy was closing down and my last day for work would be on March 26, so please speak to Ms Amanda Potts.” Told the academy is still in operation, Mc Carthy replied: “That is news to me.”

As to why everyone was refusing to answer questions about the operations of the academy, Mc Carthy said: “We were all instructed that questions must be directed to management. I am no longer employed there.”

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2013, 04:29:59 AM »
In the words of our infamous Minister of Sport: "Whey de money gone?"

VB

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2013, 08:22:01 AM »
Himself pays himself

Himself pays himself
Potts issues cheques from boxing body
Published:
Tuesday, April 9, 2013
ANIKA GUMBS-SANDIFORD and ANDREW GIOANNETTI

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2013-04-09/himself-pays-himself

Text Size: 

Boxu Potts, the special adviser to the T&T Boxing Board of Control (TTBBC), is the co-owner of Unified Promoter’s Boxing Association, a company that has benefited from sponsorship by the Ministry of Sport and Youth Affairs. In 2010 Potts indicated he was willing to serve on the TTBBC and announced that his son Giovanni was now in control of the company.

However, checks at the Ministry of Legal Affairs, South Quay, Port-of Spain, yesterday showed otherwise. Official documents showed that in 2010 the company merely changed its name from Unified Promoter Boxing Association to Unified Promoter’s Boxing Association. On that same day, November 4, Susan Elizabeth Gooding was listed as a co-owner of the company.

Potts has issued several cheques to himself from the Unified Promoter’s Boxing Association. The T&T Guardian obtained copies of several company cheques issued in  June and July 2011. Potts’ phone number is given on the company cheques. On June 16, 2011, Potts paid himself $10,000 from the company’s account. On July 15 he paid himself a further $105,000. A senior official at the Ministry of Sport also received a cheque from Potts.

Potts is not only special adviser to the TTBBC and owner of the Unified Promoter’s Boxing Association but also the owner of Yan’s Sporting Academy in Arima.

The academy was established by Unified Promoter's Boxing Association in 2011 and has been funded by the Sports Ministry. However, a feud is now brewing between Potts and academy staff over the non-payment of salaries for July-December 2012. T&T Guardian investigations found that contracts were drawn up and salaries paid to five people who never worked at the academy.

Meanwhile, the Sports Ministry footed a hefty bill apparently racked up by Potts at Alicia's House Ltd, Coblentz Gardens, St Ann’s. An invoice from the guest house, dated December 15, 2011, showed the sum of $16,125 had been credited to the ministry's bill and there was an outstanding balance of $6,412.84, making a total of $22,537.84.

Covering the period from August 1 to December 15, 2011, the bill was addressed to Potts and said it was “Re: accommodation, meals and beverages for one single room for Mr Boxu Potts.” As special adviser for the TTBBC, Potts receives a monthly retainer  of $15,000. In addition, Potts receives a car allowance of $3,500, house allowance of $5,000 and a telephone allowance of $1,500.

Attempts by the T&T Guardian to contact Potts for him to shed some light on the matter yesterday were unsuccessful as he did not respond to telephone calls or e-mails. When a T&T Guardian reporter contacted Sport Minister Anil Roberts for comment, the call dropped and the call ended suddenly.
News
Related Articles:
Buxo’s boxing ghosts

1]; } ?>