April 19, 2024, 02:25:23 AM

Author Topic: Animals in Trinidad & Tobago  (Read 102651 times)

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Animals in Trinidad & Tobago
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2012, 08:45:59 PM »
Is the sandbox tree the same tree that had that pod that people use to make the dolphin out of?

correct is right, see

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2012, 08:51:46 PM »
where the galap, crapaud and there was one snake that they would call "whip snake". Supposedly that one would whip lash you if you trouble them.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2012, 09:16:20 AM »
real memories coming back here with this one. As a kid on the weekends I was a papa bois in training. My great grand parents had an estate in Tabaquite so was real bush ting with me, pops and my little brother.

Draft, I know a couple fellas on here who dive.. i'll pass on the message about the Toco dive to them. I dive as well (haven't in 2yrs) and hoping to be in trini late March. Any idea when you plan on going down? As a kid we used to also go in the gulf (south) to spearfish around the rigs.. mostly groupers.

ah see tree images starting to show up.. where the jumbie calabash?

No Lie - I probably eat each of them animals posted one time or the other already. Didn't realize we had so much snake in Trinbago oui.

Where the cuscarub (cichlids), river sardine, sweet water shrimp, crayfish,mamatahta, river gold fish (one with the kinda shell),

Tabaquite eh... nice, 09' ah buy a portion of land in Brasso (mainly abandoned cocoa land) meh uncle Boyo (from tortuga) married a girl Ann-Marie (red ting) from Tabaquite (she mom was a spiritual healer). Her familee use to hunt a lot in tabaquite....

I plan to come in August 2012, water clarity and tides should be favorable. I think I'm the only person with a picture of the under water reef. I see some flounder, snapper and permit when I was there in 09'.

Ah put up the tree because of ah dispute I was having with a friend. I have some more pics of animals but will have to find them.

One of my favorite memories (meh dad was ah limer) so we use to knock all over. We had a seine and we use to go to Guapo during full moon fuh shrimp or strimmss... Man we use to pull up mullet, sardine, crapoo fish etc. I wish I has a camera back then. One of the most amazing things I have seen is we flamboyant tree and this tree had a unique patterning of moss. Humming birds use to build their nest and match de darn pattern to conceal their nest yes....

Another instance of marvel: It use to have a path from the Wild Fowl Trust to the 18 green at PaP. One time ah find a nest from a bird that was a perfect cone, lined with feathers at the bottom.

tnt is really blessed.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 09:42:27 AM by Daft Trini »

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2012, 09:50:57 AM »
I am sure today in T&T to cant find half of these animals, them men eating everything in T&T now.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2012, 01:29:24 PM »
Not very pleasant photos of animals in tnt

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2012, 12:39:19 PM »
Not very pleasant photos of animals in tnt

If I ever come accross de men them who killing them animals, they f00cking dead.....

Daft Trini, yuh really hurt meh with them photos boy....

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2012, 01:07:45 PM »
Sharks become a snack food in trinidad like ah pack of borbon or  doubles .ah man here say he dont think trinidad consumption affect there population .Wildlife is a non sustainable food source i believe . 

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2012, 05:02:06 PM »
Shaking my head

tagged leatherback

the Jackass said he crush de head of satan...

« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 05:08:55 PM by Daft Trini »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2012, 06:35:20 PM »
Sharks become a snack food in trinidad like ah pack of borbon or  doubles .ah man here say he dont think trinidad consumption affect there population .Wildlife is a non sustainable food source i believe . 

Instead of talking shit out yuh ass... do you have any proof that local consumption affecting the shark population?

Don't worry, I'm not holding my breath.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2012, 06:43:32 PM »

Instead of talking shit out yuh ass... do you have any proof that local consumption affecting the shark population?

good cause i got no beef  :P

Offline mal jeux

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2012, 11:46:26 PM »

interesting article

Sharks' future in peril
By Kimberly Castillo
Jan 11, 2012.

SHARK fin soup is a common fixture on the menus of all, if not the majority of Chinese restaurants in Trinidad and Tobago, from the well established take-away or dine-in eateries, to the hole-in-the wall joints. Just one bowl of shark fin soup seems pretty harmless but marine conservationists the world over argue that it represents the collapse of shark populations. A bowl of shark fin soup will cost you between $30 - $55 , but the price which our oceans and marine ecosystems pay is incalculable. To satisfy the demand for this exotic Chinese appetiser an average of 75 million sharks a year are mutilated in a process known as "finning".             

Shark fins are far more commercially valuable than shark meat. Fins can rake in as much as $US300 a pound, shark fins also take up less space on board a vessel when compared to heavy shark carcasses which weigh hundreds of pounds. For this reason, when sharks are caught by one of the many thousands of hooks on longlines and hauled up on deck, their fins are sliced off while the shark is still alive, then the rest of the shark is thrown back into the ocean. Without its fins to help navigate, steer and lift, the shark dies a slow and agonising death from starvation or drowning. It can take up to a week for a shark to die. Finning is so inhumane and wasteful that the practice should be banned immediately, said Gary Aboud of the non-governmental organisation Fishermen and Friends of the Sea.

For those among us who associate finning solely with Asian countries, think again. Trinidad and Tobago ranks 19th among 87 countries for largest exports of shark fins to Hong Kong, according to a March 2010 report by marine conservation organisation Oceana, titled 'The International Trade of Shark Fins: endangering shark populations worldwide.' Back in 2008, this country exported 103,104 kgs of shark fins to Hong Kong - the world's largest single market for this product. Ironically, four years earlier in November 2004, at the annual meeting of the International Commission for the Conservation of Atlantic Tunas (ICCAT), T&T was one of the co-sponsors of a shark proposal to ban the practice of shark finning, yet to this day, Trinidad and Tobago has no policy on shark finning. Up to 50 Asian longline vessels operate in our waters said Aboud. Among their spoils? Shark fins, which are then hung out to dry.

This country's links with finning goes back many years. In 1999, a report by the Ministry of Agriculture, Land and Marine Resources titled Sharks: overview of the fisheries in T&T stated that the sharks which were caught in our waters were primarily incidental catch or 'by-catch' of the artisinal fishery and industrial longline fishery. But the report also suggested that finning was done at sea. It stated that shark fins represented 19 per cent of landings in 1993, while 23 tonnes of shark fins were recorded in 1992. The document went on to conclude that there had been unsubstantiated reports of large quantities of shark fins landed with very few carcasses. The report noted there was no management regime for shark in T&T and warned that the shark stocks were vulnerable to unrestrained exploitation.

That grim assessment was

made more than a decade ago, today, unregulated shark fishing has led to a decline in the number of sharks in the waters off T&T. In March of this year, visting New Zealand marine conservationist and head of the Earthrace Conservation Organisation Pete Bethune said there was no longer a stable supply of shark in our waters and blamed the scores of Taiwanese fishing vessels operating in local waters for this country's depleted fisheries. With no scientific data collection mechanisms in place, it is difficult to estimate how many sharks still roam our waters. When famed ocean explorer Jacques Cousteau visited these islands in the 1950's, he estimated that our waters teemed with 35 species of shark, today, just a small fraction of species remain in our waters, said Aboud.

"If a man catches a shark in Maracas Bay today, he is a hero, but 25 years ago fishermen caught up to 5 - 6 sharks a day," he said. These ancient species are especially vulnerable to exploitation- they take many years to grow to maturity and have very low reproductive rates. For this reason, their populations are slow to recover once overfished, he explained.

Our marine ecosystem is a delicate web of life which is dependent upon apex predators such as sharks to maintain its careful balance. With less and less sharks in our oceans, they will be a proliferation of other species that will do more harm than good.

In the race to save the world's sharks, some countries have banned the practice of shark finning, these include Chile, Palau, the Maldives, Honduras and the Bahamas. Restaurants in Hawaii have been banned from serving shark fins. And as recently as October, Toronto councillors voted overwhelmingly to ban the possesion, sale and consumption of shark fin soups and other products within the city limits, effective September 1, 2012.

It's going to take more than rhetoric to protect the hammerhead, mako and migratory blacktip shark that roam our tropical waters, what is needed is immediate action, said Aboud. Unless major advances are made to stamp out the practice of finning in our waters and deal with issues such as overharvesting and unsustainable fishing methods, then, said Aboud, the survival of our waters' top predators - the shark, will continue to be at risk.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 09:05:24 AM by Flex »
"How many times do I have to flush before you go away?"

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2012, 11:54:58 PM »
2 sweetest meat is turtle and iguana
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2012, 02:11:31 AM »

interesting article http://www.trinidadexpress.com/featured-news/Sharks__future_in_peril-137152358.html

Thanks, but we talking about local consumption... not finning by foreign vessels offshore, or finning for export.  It may seem in insignificant point but Quags' comment relates back to a thread where local consumption of bake and shark was being discussed-- and criticized by some.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
People should have more sense than this
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2012, 03:41:34 PM »
Sorry if it's a repost.

www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2012, 11:07:11 PM »
Check out dis snake found in Trinidad

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/fgKnt8RGqGo&amp;feature=related" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/fgKnt8RGqGo&amp;feature=related</a>

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2012, 11:35:04 PM »
Check out dis snake found in Trinidad

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/fgKnt8RGqGo&amp;feature=related" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/fgKnt8RGqGo&amp;feature=related</a>

:cursing:   :thumbsup:

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2012, 11:43:20 AM »
f**k man Stueps
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2012, 11:48:35 AM »
f**k man Stueps
hahahahaha hopefully no forum members got a heart attack

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 04, 2012, 07:59:11 AM »
Wha bout that snake that use to attack you like a dog?  Black body, yellow belly.   It used to stand up like a broom.  Tigre? 

yeah I know what yuh talking about. I have only seen it in a pet store in Sando on Cipero Street, never in de wild.

I think another name for it is "Machette"

Machete Savane

This is ah real learnin thread for me....allyuh say it does stand up like a broom?? for real?

Dem old man use to corner Machete and use their hat to make it strike. Real man kicks yes
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2012, 05:30:37 PM »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 20, 2012, 04:57:20 AM »

Jack Warner

Kamla Persad Bissessar

Anand Ramlogan

Anil Roberts

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Smuggled monkeys finally arrive at Zoo.
« Reply #82 on: November 26, 2012, 06:35:18 AM »
Smuggled monkeys finally arrive at Zoo
Monday, November 26 2012
TT Newsday

After a wait of some ten days since Newsday reported that two capuchin monkeys and some seed finches were ordered by the court to be taken to the zoo, only the two monkeys were finally brought in two days ago by game wardens.

Zoo officials stated that on reading about the court decision which had been given front page coverage in the newspaper, they had gone ahead to prepare suitable accommodation for the animals to be quarantined.

However, the wait was in vain as neither was there sight of the animals nor was any communication received from the Wildlife Division as to what was causing the delay in complying with the court order.

An official from the zoo confirmed that several enquiries were made to officials in the Wildlife Division but the animals were not housed there and no one was able to confirm their whereabouts.

The official stated that it took several calls to officials from the Ministry of the Environment and Water Resources and an intervention from the Ag Chief Game Warden himself, for the monkeys to be eventually brought in to the zoo.

Confirming that the zoo is able to offer proper care and treatment for animals which may be in need of rehabilitation, Richard Wallace, Assistant Curator stated, “We have the services of a veterinarian at our disposal full-time, and to complement this, a member of our Board, Dr Annmarie Hosein, a Government veterinarian with many years of experience is available at all times on a voluntary basis.”

When contacted, Hosein who was on site when the monkeys arrived, confirmed that she had examined the monkeys, stating, “I found that the larger monkey is in fairly good condition but the other one looks a bit undernourished. I do believe though that the zoo is the best place for them right now as I have confidence in the zookeepers’ ability to provide the proper care for these animals.”

As to the fate of the birds, much prized as cage birds, it is reported that they were released by the game wardens. When asked his opinion on this action of the game wardens, President of the Zoological Society, Gupte Lutchmedial commented, “The release of these birds without a proper quarantine period should be of concern as there are ecological consequences to this reckless action.

Our local populations of birds are at potential risk from introduced diseases and from an economical viewpoint, the poultry industry could have been placed at risk too.” He lamented, “The Forestry Division is quite aware that with the help of the International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW), we have established a facility to support their efforts in wildlife enforcement.

“It is therefore irresponsible that they would release the birds before a suitable quarantine period has elapsed.”

The Zoological Society’s Conservation Adviser, Nadra Nathai-Gyan has called for good sense to prevail and affirmed that in combating illegal wildlife crime, strong partnerships between the state and non-governmental organisations must be fostered.

CUTE MONKEY: The monkeys are given a thorough look-over by Zoo Volunteers, Veterinary student, Siew Leng Achong (left) and Environmental Management trainee, Leah De La Rosa.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #83 on: December 31, 2012, 08:21:29 AM »
Anaconda caught
By SASHA HARRINANAN (NEWSDAY).
Monday December 31 2012

A BEAUTIFUL 200-pound, 16-foot-long anaconda snake was spotted by two private security guards, employed by Executive Bodyguard Services Limited, sunning itself along a private road opposite the Caroni cremation site yesterday.

Rather than killing the animal or raising an alarm which may have caused other persons to visit the area and harm the snake, the security guards contacted the Emperor Valley Zoo, an act which drew much praise from the Zoo’s curator, well-known conservationist Gupte Lutchmedial.

“Instead of attempting to kill the snake, they called the zoo. That was a very good thing they did. I wish more people would call us rather than attempt to kill a wild animal. The guards were on patrol at 4 pm when they saw the snake on the road, so they used a rope to lasso it in place and kept watch over it until we arrived in the evening,” Lutchmedial said.

He said it took a couple hours to arrange for three qualified zookeepers to report for duty at the Zoo before heading to Caroni to collect the animal. “It’s a beautiful specimen, the largest I’ve seen in 12 years,” Lutchmedial remarked when asked about how rare such a find was in TT.

“These are water-based snakes, so you find them more in the Nariva Swamp and places like that, but hardly on dry land, especially one this size.” By the time the zookeepers arrived on site after 6 pm yesterday, three more security guards had joined their colleagues, as well as a couple of police officers stationed at the Caroni Police Station.

En route to the zoo yesterday evening, Lutchmedial and crew were flagged down by Newsday who were told the zookeepers were carrying a special passenger to the zoo. As the zookeepers struggled to display the creature, several persons gawked at the 16-footer.

“I have to play big snake tomorrow (today). I going and put down a hundred dollars now that I see that huge snake,” a man muttered as he took photos of the snake with his cellular phone. Upon arrival at the zoo last night, the female snake was placed in an enclosure which contained a pool to, “allow her to relax in as close to her natural environment as possible,” Lutchmedial stated.

A veterinarian is due to examine the anaconda sometime today to determine if she has any infection or if she sustained any injuries while being restrained. “My goal is to return her to the wild, once we have determined she has no debilitating injuries or infections. How long that will take depends on what the vet says,” Lutchmedial declared.

SHE'S SO ROYAL: This majestic 16-foot anaconda, found on a private road in Caroni yesterday afternoon by two security guards, is seen last night. The snake is held up for display by (left to right) President of the Zoological Society Gupte Lutchmedial, Zookeeper I Christian Blake, Zookeeper II Walter Bonyun and Zookeeper II Delbert Charleau.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 31, 2012, 02:03:16 PM »
The release back into the wild throw meh fuh a loop

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 01, 2013, 05:34:26 AM »
The release back into the wild throw meh fuh a loop

I read in the express on Monday that it was pregnant and they will keep it at the zoo as it would be historic to have anacondas born there.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2013, 06:58:35 AM »
Monkeys, morocoys seized
By AZARD ALI Monday, February 18 2013

A PET shop owner will appear in the Chaguanas Magistrates’ Court today to answer a charge of having protected animals, namely six monkeys and four morocoys.

The animals were seized by game wardens on Saturday in a crackdown on persons allegedly poaching animals in the forest that are protected under the Conservation of Wildlife Act.

According to a report, Game Warden 11 Andrew George, led a party of game wardens from the Ministry of Environment and Water Resources, to a pet shop in Chaguanas at about 4.30 on Saturday. They seized four Capuchin monkeys and four red-legged morocoys.

One person was arrested and taken to the Chaguanas Police Station, where Game Warden Andrew Boyce charged him with having in his possession protected animals. The charge was laid contrary to Section 5 (2) (b) of the Conservation of Wildlife Act.

The man was allowed to leave the police station after he was granted his own bail. The maximum penalty for the offence is $1,000.

The monkeys and morocoys have since been kept and fed at a facility, and would be transported into the magistrates’ courthouse, where they would be presented as evidence for the trial today.

Other game wardens in the exercise were Ravi Rampersad, Darrell Ramnarine and Andrew Boyce.

MONKEY BUSINESS: TWO monkeys cuddle in a cage after they were seized on Saturday from a pet shop in Chaguanas, by game wardens from the Ministry of the Environment and Water Resources.

ALSO SEIZED: Four red-legged morocoys were also seized.
Author: ANIL RAMPERSAD

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2013, 07:00:34 AM »

The sting of a scorpion is less venomous than from the bites of poisonous snakes, only three of which are habitat in Trinidad.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #88 on: December 17, 2013, 02:54:18 AM »
Fishing for big Markets
By Kimberly Castillo (Express).

You don’t necessarily need a fishing boat to take you to see what the future of fishing looks like.

At the invitation of tilapia farmer Christian Penco, the Business Express hitched a ride in his muddied Hilux van and travelled along a bumpy road off the beaten track in Longdenville to his tilapia farm.

From the outside, Penco’s farm looks pretty ordinary, but it’s what is happening on the inside that is amazing - a clean, efficient, smooth running tilapia facility.

In rows of three, there are 600 gallon tanks and 2,000 gallon tanks.

For this tilapia producer, this is not child’s play.

Penco engages in what he calls intensive tilapia farming.

It’s no wonder therefore that he runs a tight operation.

To make the most profit from this business, Penco makes sure that his farm is well maintained.

Water flows into the oxygenated tanks. To prevent the water from overflowing the excess water flows into skimmers which syphon off all floating material. The water is also pumped into a mechanical filter which extracts the fish waste before the water flows into the biological filter, where bacteria breaks down the nitrates into nitrites.

Then the filtered water is pumped back into the tanks, ensuring that the water supply is fairly clean.
Each day, Penco measures out the feed and has different feeds for various sizes of fish, from fingerlings (baby tilapia) to adult fish.

Charts which keep a track of feed hang at the side of each tank.

At the moment, Penco has 3,000 pounds of tilapia (available for sale) swimming in his tanks.

He knows this time of year - Christmas- where pork and ham reign as king, is the off season, but from January straight into Lent that’s when sales pick up and things at the farm get hectic.

By then Penco’s farm will be fully stocked with around 10,000-15,000 pounds of tilapia.

Tilapia farming is not rocket science, he repeats over and over again, the information on how one can set up a fish farm is readily available for anyone willing to give it a try.

Penco has been farming tilapia for a shorter period of time than other farmers and a lot of what he has learnt in three years has come from trial and error and experimentation.

When he began his own farm, he at first lost 2,000 pounds of fish because of an electricity blackout.
He also experimented with different tanks and found that for his pilot project, the 600 gallon tanks were too deep and narrow whereas the 2,000 gallon tanks had more lateral area and less depth, allowing for a better exchange of oxygen.

He has also received a lot of technical support and assistance from several people including the Fisheries Division.

Penco says the government does have certain agencies with extension officers to facilitate tilapia farmers.
But to take tilapia farming from a mere project to a thriving business, one has to remember four things, said Penco: oxygenation, filtration, quality of fingerlings and quality of feed.

Fish farming has been practised for hundreds of years but now more than ever it is has become increasingly popular.

Fish stocks are declining yet there needs to be a way of satisfying the global demand for fish protein.
Fishing today is now more efficient that ever before.

Fishing vessels are outfitted with tracking technology like fish finders, depth sounders, marine radios and GPS systems.

It’s inevitable, says Penco - overfishing which is enabled by state of the art technology will result in a decrease in fish stocks and an increase in the cost of fish. And so this is why fish farming has been considered the future of fishing. Fish farming cannot replace fish stocks but it does two things- it satisfies the appetite and demand for fish while allowing fish populations to rebound.

At home local groceries and restaurants are supplied with Chinese tilapia by foreign markets- this is a challenge to farmers hoping to supply the local market. Penco says the red and silver tilapia fish he breeds, farms and sells are of a superior quality.

“People buy tilapia elsewhere and then they come to my farm and they say it’s like chalk and cheese. There is no comparison. When people come to my farm, they get a chill-kill fish,” he said.

Penco ‘purges’ his fish days before the actual sale.

This refers to the process in which the fish are placed in fresh water with no feed to allow the fish to flush out all waste and toxins.

Then on the morning of the sale, he takes the fish out and puts them on ice. That is what you call a ‘chill kill’ fish.

“You can’t get any fresher than that. The nutrients in the fish do not diminish through freezing or anything like that so what you get is an extraordinary product,” he said.

Can local tilapia farmers supply the market?

The desire is there, says Penco but farmers need incentives to get to that point.

“I wish the Minister of (Food Production) in his capacity would consider subsidising the cost of feed,” he said.
Feed accounts for 60 per cent of the cost of his tilapia.

If tilapia farmers get a subsidy on feed, Penco says he and the other tilapia farmers can give foreign suppliers a run for their money and provide a better, tastier quality of fish at competitive prices.

“Give farmers a quantitative subsidy and leave them to do the rest. Your major costing outside of feed is aeration, your recirculation pump and your tanks and the cost of these things will vary according to the size of your farm. There are expensive mechanisms available but they are not necessary in a tropical environment,” he said.

But getting a good return investment on his fish will depend to a large extent on what they are being fed and so this is why a subsidy on a good quality, consistent feed is so important, he said.

Fish farming has its share of critics who say the diet of farmed fish make them less healthier than their wild counterparts. Critics also contend that farming fish in a restricted area increases stress levels among the fish and make them more susceptible to parasites and diseases.

But Penco says farmed fish are as good if not superior to ocean fish which are subjected to high levels of mercury and toxins. He also keeps a well maintained farm with tanks which are filtered regularly, thereby limiting the occurrence of parasites and diseases.

The farm in Longdenville is what he considers his ‘pilot project’. He is on the brink of building a larger farm and eventually wants to export.

Deputy chairman of the Agricultural Development Bank (ADB) Christopher Charran says the ADB is committed to helping farmers like Penco financially.

“The government believes it is not just a matter of giving people like Mr Penco the opportunity to have the tilapia, but also a processing plant - this is important to make sure it reaches the customer. We could produce, we know that, but what is the next step? Processing and getting the fish into the customers’ hands,” he said.

In an effort to eliminate the ‘middleman’, Charran said through various initiatives the ADB is creating customers for the farmers.

“Most of the farmers do all the hard work, there is always a middle person who gets the profit from the work that they do so what we’re trying to do is give the farmers the opportunity to actually get that additional revenue for all their hard work,” said Charran.

Christian Penco feeds fish at his farm. The fish are fed one to two times a day. —Photo: James Wallace

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2014, 03:22:42 AM »
Hunters vow to overturn hunting ban
T&T Guardian Reports.

For decades, the baying of hounds and a cacophony of shotgun blasts echoed across the hinterlands of northern Trinidad, where hunters chased deer, armadillo and agouti, a cat-sized rodent.

But since October, the lands have largely fallen silent, leaving the country's 13,000 licensed hunters fuming and their 26,000 trained hounds idle. Trinidad and Tobago's government, at least on paper, has temporarily transformed the Caribbean nation into a no-trapping, no-hunting zone to give overexploited game animals some breathing room and to conduct wildlife surveys.

Conservationists have long argued that the wide-ranging freedoms enjoyed by hunters have depleted the population of wildlife in the twin-island republic, which is home to more than 100 mammals and is internationally famed as a bird-watcher's paradise.

Licensed hunters never had bag limits, except for birds, and a flourishing market for "wild meat" for parties meant that almost anything that ran or flew wild was targeted. Even the protected national bird, the scarlet ibis, could end up in a curry sauce.

"Hunting here really serves no useful purpose and is really quite ridiculous. I mean, you have six Trinidadians and 15 dogs to hunt down a small animal like agouti! It's not exactly big game hunting in East Africa," said Christopher Starr, a life sciences faculty member at Trinidad's University of the West Indies.

But close-to-the-land hunters are fighting to overturn the two-year ban that took effect Oct. 1, and a high court ruling could be handed down in February. They also vow to make the government pay during national elections due next year, passing out bumper stickers that read: "No hunting, no vote."

They say the practice of hunting with dogs is a key form of wildlife culling that binds together rural society. They insist it's also a source of income that creates thousands of jobs.

Hunting with dogs here is a far earthier pursuit than in Britain, where scarlet-and-black jacketed riders chased foxes with packs of dogs until the sport was banned in 2004. Most hunters in Trinidad transport their packs of hounds and mongrels in scarred pickups and rattling vans. Subsistence hunters often never bothered with getting a state game license, even though it costs just over $3.

Hunters insist the ban benefits poachers, timber thieves and marijuana growers who they say are taking over remote hillsides and brazenly setting up "trap guns," crude devices fashioned from steel pipe that can fire shotgun cartridges to kill animals or frighten intruders.

"I tell you, the poachers can hunt day and night now and the marijuana farmers are setting up trap guns wherever they want. But the sports hunters, we're the ones made into outlaws," said Shackeer Mohammed, an 86-year-old deer hunter who leads a hunting association in central Trinidad.

Buddie Miller, Trinidad's most vocal hunting advocate, argues there is no credible evidence that any of the country's game species are in a state of decline. He insists wild animals such as deer and agouti are flourishing despite habitat loss.

But data from forms submitted by licensed hunters show a high number of bagged animals for a Delaware-sized country of just 1.4 million people. More than 65,000 agoutis were caught over the last three hunting seasons, along with 6,385 deer, 13,092 armadillos and 10,161 lappes, raccoon-sized rodents whose meat goes for $19 a pound.

Environment and Water Resources Minister Ganga Singh, the architect of the ban, said the moratorium is allowing a much-needed survey of existing wildlife and natural resources, and he believes there is a cultural shift toward wildlife conservation.

Singh told The Associated Press that moratorium enforcement officers have been "vigorously patrolling the forests" and said callers have been using a hotline to report suspicious activity.

However, there are just over a dozen official game wardens in Trinidad, along with about 180 honorary wardens, who are basically volunteers. Hunters allege that police are often the biggest poachers, with some stations regularly hosting end-of-the-week cookouts with freshly caught howler monkey or wild hog. (AP)

1]; } ?>