April 23, 2024, 07:49:07 PM

Author Topic: Jovica, Carlitos Colon bring back wrestling  (Read 13549 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jovica, Carlitos Colon bring back wrestling
« on: July 03, 2010, 07:41:40 AM »
Jovica, Carlitos Colon bring back wrestling
By Ian Prescott (T&T Express)

Twenty years ago, Uncle Victor Jovica and Carlitos Colon were big names, drawing huge crowds to the Jean Pierre Complex to see international professional wrestling entertainment.

And tonight, the now retired crowd favourites are aiming to revitalise the sport in Trinidad and Tobago by introducing a new generation of professional wrestlers to this country when they stage an eight-bout professional card featuring wrestlers from the USA, Puerto Rico and T&T from 8 p.m. at the Jean Pierre Complex.

Another show will also be held tomorrow evening, starting at five o'clock. Tickets cost $150 general admission and $200 for a ringside view, and are available at the Port of Spain, Woodbrook and San Fernando branches of Samaroo's Carnival supplies and also at the Fairchance, Ascot, Sam's and Goodwood racing services.

Among the new generation of international wrestlers coming to fight here will be Miami-based Carlito Caribbean Cool, the son of Carlitos Colon, and an 11-time World Wrestling Council (WWC) Universal heavyweight champion. Some of the wrestlers coming here have been featured on the popular World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE), which is viewed on cable television.

Former ECS champion Tony Dreamer will also be in action, as well as WWE InterContinental champion Shelton Benjamin and Tony Atlas. Women's wrestler Mickie James, who moved to WWE Smackdown in 2009-2010, and TNA Wrestling Superstars knockout champion OBD (Jessica Kresa), will also be mixing it up.

"It's going to be bigger than it was 20 years ago," promises Aaron "The Idol" Stevens. A former WWE wrestler also, Idol is host of the Puerto-based World Wrestling Council (WWC).

Since retiring two years ago, 60 year-old Colon and his partner Jovica have gone into business as owners of the World Wrestling Council (WWC) in Puerto Rico, where wrestling is still big. And they have now joined forces with local ex-wrestler Williams of the Trinidad & Tobago Wrestling Council to bring the sport back to the English-speaking Caribbean.

"The people of Trinidad and Tobago were asking Thunderbolt Williams when he was going to bring wrestling back here. So, I spoke to Victor (Jovica) and now we are here."

Colon also spoke of his own decision to retire two years ago stating: "I think my time had come to an end. My reflexes were not the same and I was concerned about picking up further injury."
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jovica, Carlitos Colon bring back wrestling
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 02:57:56 PM »
saw the ad for this in the papers.

I think Scott Steiner is on the card too.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 10:24:39 PM »
If they want to sell in Trini bring back the Invaders 8,9,10 oh what ever they reach ! Ppl would stil say 1,2,and 3 was the best doh lol.
Good show .

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 08:47:35 AM »
  Since retiring two years ago, 60 year-old Colon and his partner Jovica

:o :o.....them fellahs JUST retire?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 02:08:18 PM »
  Since retiring two years ago, 60 year-old Colon and his partner Jovica

:o :o.....them fellahs JUST retire?

What happen 2 u is early retirement d man take. He now qualify 4 Kamla pension.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 07:50:35 PM »
omg...just the other day my father in law who is puerto rican explained to me how carlitos used to cut himself in the ring as part of the act...i shame to say as a grown man i still thought them men used to really fight for real ::)

on another note though i used to realll like the youngbloods, them men was meh favorites

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 08:13:07 PM »
omg...just the other day my father in law who is puerto rican explained to me how carlitos used to cut himself in the ring as part of the act...i shame to say as a grown man i still thought them men used to really fight for real ::)

on another note though i used to realll like the youngbloods, them men was meh favorites
Shame on him to disrespect his own country man like that ,tell him that .Just cause he dont like wrestling .Thats like me dissing Thunder bolt Williams .Carlitos was one of the greatest ever ,and he beat Flair fair and square a few times ,He was so great he never got a shot in the big time cause he wouldve taken everybody belt ! .Shame shame and yes they use to cut theyself .

BTW was thunderbolt the guy with the coconut ?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 08:43:08 PM by Quags »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 08:42:04 PM »

Shame on him to disrespect his own country man like that ,tell him that .Just cause he dont like wrestling .Thats like me dissing Thunder bolt Williams .Carlitos was one of the greatest ever ,and he beat Flair fair and square a few times ,He was so great he never got a shot in the big time cause he wouldve taken everybody belt ! .Shame Shame ,and yes they use to cut theyself .

YESSSSSSSS
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 08:45:48 PM »

Shame on him to disrespect his own country man like that ,tell him that .Just cause he dont like wrestling .Thats like me dissing Thunder bolt Williams .Carlitos was one of the greatest ever ,and he beat Flair fair and square a few times ,He was so great he never got a shot in the big time cause he wouldve taken everybody belt ! .Shame Shame ,and yes they use to cut theyself .

YESSSSSSSS
Right cause it had him and Ray Apollon .

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 04:59:59 AM »
omg...just the other day my father in law who is puerto rican explained to me how carlitos used to cut himself in the ring as part of the act..

yuh have to explain that for me.

I knew that the storylines were scripted i.e. the wrestlers would have at least some general idea of how the match would go, how long it would be, who would win and how the ending sequence would go down.

it have a lot of physical wear and tear involved nonetheless.  I've seen pics of Carlos Colon and the man's forehead have real scar tissue/disfiguration.  I just figure it's really from all the incidental damage that come from Abullah the Butcher pretending to dig up his forehead with all dem foreign objects.

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 06:42:47 AM »
The audience like to see blood .

You should watch the wrestler with Mickey Rourke .

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 03:22:37 PM »

YESSSSSSSS

I blieve it was both ah dem biut dat was longggggggggggggg time agooooooooooooo

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 03:08:48 PM »

YESSSSSSSS

Yeah I think so too ,could couldve knock you out with the coconut .One is also from tobago ,and Ray Appolon I beleive couldve been a superstar if given a shot .

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 03:01:50 PM »
youtube have a few shoot interviews with some of the old-time wrestlers. i remember hearing one from bad news allen aka bad news brown - i think he mention abdullah the butcher. he have that same kind of forehead - all scarred. bobby heenan have a kicksy one.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 11:03:51 PM »
yuh have to explain that for me.

I knew that the storylines were scripted i.e. the wrestlers would have at least some general idea of how the match would go, how long it would be, who would win and how the ending sequence would go down.

it have a lot of physical wear and tear involved nonetheless.  I've seen pics of Carlos Colon and the man's forehead have real scar tissue/disfiguration.  I just figure it's really from all the incidental damage that come from Abullah the Butcher pretending to dig up his forehead with all dem foreign objects.

They cut themselves with razor blades... Abdullah (who from Detroit and own a famous bbq joint there) said so himself.  Note how when man get hit on they head they'd immediately grab it and go to the canvas (where they'd make a little cut).  Once match and yuh blood pumping even ah li'l slit will make yuh bleed like a stuck pig.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2010, 12:53:44 AM »

YESSSSSSSS

Apollon had the butt.

Thunderbolt had a smash to the top of the head known as the "thunderbolt."
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2010, 08:02:49 AM »

YESSSSSSSS

Apollon had the butt.

:beermug:

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2010, 09:27:00 AM »

YESSSSSSSS

Apollon had the butt.

i was now abt to post that....those were days when i thought wrestling was real until mih father burst mih bubble...he was ah fireman who use to work at those events and he come home one day and burst mih bubble.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2010, 08:14:07 AM »

They cut themselves with razor blades... Abdullah (who from Detroit and own a famous bbq joint there) said so himself.  Note how when man get hit on they head they'd immediately grab it and go to the canvas (where they'd make a little cut).  Once match and yuh blood pumping even ah li'l slit will make yuh bleed like a stuck pig.

real dedication to the craft.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2011, 01:23:59 PM »
I remember going to watch tag team in Skinner Park, Ray Apollon & ? vs Danny Lynch & ? (from Britain)

Apollon drop the coconut on them, then Danny Lynch pull a chain. Well pardnas if allyuh see bottle rain down on dem Brits. I never see fat man run so, they dussit for the dressing room, followed closely by the entire Carib bottle factory  :rotfl:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2011, 01:54:27 AM »
I remember going to watch tag team in Skinner Park, Ray Apollon & ? vs Danny Lynch & ? (from Britain)

Apollon drop the coconut on them, then Danny Lynch pull a chain. Well pardnas if allyuh see bottle rain down on dem Brits. I never see fat man run so, they dussit for the dressing room, followed closely by the entire Carib bottle factory  :rotfl:

Lol... this remind me of going tuh de (Arima) Velodrome tuh see the Funk Brothers (Dory and Terry) take on Jovica and somebody.  Well stage set up in front the grandstand... and clear on the other side of the field the bleachers across the way was full ah stormers.  Jovica do so and pelt one ah de Funks out de ring and onto de track.  He siddung dey playing bazodee until he realize that half de bleachers was done on de touchline coming tuh lynch him.  Dat man revive and fly back in de ring... better de devil with de sleeper hold yuh know dan de angry negroes yuh doh know.  Dem stormers too... I never see man scatter so when dey see de German shepherds and dem coming fuh dem.  Real kicks dat night.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2011, 02:42:47 PM »
Well hear my wrestling moment. Watching wrestling from Royal Castle on TTT. Can't remember who fighting. Real bachanal. But there was a women voice in the crowd just louder than everybodyelse saying " beat he mudder-arse, beat he mudder-arse".

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2011, 10:45:47 PM »
Well hear my wrestling moment. Watching wrestling from Royal Castle on TTT. Can't remember who fighting. Real bachanal. But there was a women voice in the crowd just louder than everybodyelse saying " beat he mudder-arse, beat he mudder-arse".
That could've been Monster Ripper

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2011, 09:04:10 AM »
Youtube does always come through in de end

Look all de vids here http://www.youtube.com/user/ClassicsWWC
Roll back de clock  ;D

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/r6Zv5tUW_mA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/r6Zv5tUW_mA</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/c0N44OBCAWY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/c0N44OBCAWY</a>
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

1]; } ?>