April 26, 2024, 09:24:02 AM

Author Topic: Kevan George Thread  (Read 17731 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Kevan George Thread
« on: January 13, 2012, 07:33:42 PM »
Kevan George now a Crew.
By Inshan Mohammed.

Tobago-born defensive midfielder Kevan George has been selected by MLS team Columbus Crew as the 29th pick of the 2012 MLS Super-Draft.

George, 21, was born in Roxborough and began his career at the tender age of 8 with St Clair Coaching School. He then played for Roxborough Anglican and Bishop High from 2001 - 2002 before migrating to the U.S.

At age 12, Kevan left Tobago with his parents Rhonda and Meryvn George, as well as his older brother Bjorn in pursuit of the American dream.

This journey to a foreign place was not an easy one, but one that would prove to be worth the while. Living in the United States Kevan played club football at Concorde Fire where he created a name for himself and established enough recognition to land him a four year scholarship at the University of Central Florida.

His impact there was immediate. He made first Team All Conference USA for three consecutive years and as the captain, led his team to its most successful season in the school's history, in making it to the second round in the NCAA tournament.

Although Kevan and his teammates aspired to propel themselves further in the tournament, their efforts still bore its fruits. Kevan and his teammate Warren Creavalle were highly scouted by many MLS teams around the country.

On January 12, 2012, Kevan and his teammate Warren were drafted to partake in the MLS combine. Kevan, who held down the holding midfielder role quite well during the combine did good enough to have caught the eye of a few MLS teams but was eventually drafted by the Columbus Crew, a prestigious team located in Columbus, Ohio.

Columbus Crew are no strangers when it comes to players from Trinidad and Tobago with; Andrei Pacheco, Tobagoian defender Kevin Adams, Ansil Elcock, Cornell Glen and off course Club legend Stern John all once played their trades at the Club.

The ‘Crew’ as they are known will see two T&T players line-up for them in the new 2012 season. The Club's 2011 "defender of the year" Julius James is there on his second year while another untapped talent is about to make his way up to the professional rank in George.

He has now sets his sight on helping his new Club to win a championship, and was recently invited to the Trinidad and Tobago national Under 23 team for a trial in their quest to qualify for the 2012 Olympics in the United Kingdom.

Kevan is all up for the tasked and told the Soca Warriors Online (SWO) that he is very excited to have gotten a T&T call-up and is eagerly awaiting the chance to help his country if picked. And if all goes well for George he could very well make his T&T U-23 debut in-front of his home town as the U-23 team is scheduled to play a touring Finland national senior team on January 25th at the Dwight Yorke Stadium.

Something which may have started 9-years ago as a dream has now become a reality, now George is finally starting to live the life he once dreamt about.

Copyrights of the Soca Warriors Online - Any press using the following article written by Inshan Mohammed are welcome to do so providing they reveal the source and writer. Furthermore, no portion of this article may be copied without proper credit as well.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 11:34:30 PM by Tallman »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Kevan George now a Crew.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 08:00:01 PM »
Good news here, and he 21 so that is a plus. We need to build a young team that could play together for a long time.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 09:49:34 PM »
Great work Flex, ah hope de youth man shine.

Now we have two decent defensive Tobago players in de MLS, hope de TTFF take note.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 06:09:40 AM »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 07:03:53 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/0vKJDYqQsgQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/0vKJDYqQsgQ</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 03:52:25 PM »
http://www.thecrew.com/news/2012/01/crew-welcome-back-players-camp-starts

Midfielder Andrew Bulls will arrive this weekend, while defender Jamie Finch and forward Darren Amoo will join the team in Florida along with trialists such as Jamaican defender Lance Laing and Trinidad and Tobago midfielder Silvio Spann.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 05:33:40 AM »
Great work Flex, ah hope de youth man shine.

Now we have two decent defensive Tobago players in de MLS, hope de TTFF take note.

*chanting*  Tobago!!!  Tobago!!  Tobago!!   :party: :cheers: :wavetowel: ;D
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 01:09:32 PM »
<a href="http://p.mlssoccer.com/NVnB3/video/851193/851193_2012-01-25-104533.640hq.mp4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://p.mlssoccer.com/NVnB3/video/851193/851193_2012-01-25-104533.640hq.mp4</a>

Offline Jack Horner

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 10:45:40 AM »
This guy born and grew up in Tobago a place where they talk like a Grenadian and now he sounding like a fresh water yankee. He loves Reggae and Hip Hop and forgot Soca and Trini food.

What a looser.

No wonder the youths in T&T are lost today.

He left Tobago at 12 year and now 8 years later he lost his culture.

I hope Angue Eve take note.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 11:09:09 AM by Jack Horner »
Jack Warner will rise again and the world will beg him him to return and he will say "NO".............

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 05:20:33 PM »
Come nah man.  It ain't call for dat they man.  No need to fight down the youth. 
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 05:33:29 PM »
Come nah man.  It ain't call for dat they man.  No need to fight down the youth. 

Why you taking on this guy?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 04:52:15 PM »
Rookie blog: Kevan George
By Kevan George (thecrew.com)

As we landed in Florida, it made me realize how much I missed it – 76 degrees, tropical breeze, palm trees and, most importantly, sunlight… something I haven't seen in a while. It felt like a vacation more than a preseason camp. Our bus trip to Bradenton from Tampa Airport lasted 45 minutes. Right away, we were assigned our rooms and then off to the IMG Fields for a light training session of 5v2s.

So far being a pro has been an amazing experience both on and off the pitch. The coaching staff, new players, veterans, down to the trainers, have all been very welcoming and helpful in the transition from being a collegiate athlete. Everyone seemed very friendly although, on the field, the organization lives up to its creed as the "hardest working." It was as if the sound of a ball transformed everyone into work horses. Every day we work harder and harder and push ourselves beyond limits in the Florida sun to achieve the ultimate goal as MLS champs this year.

After a long session, we cool down, stretch, and do all the necessary things to prepare us for a second session in the afternoon or the following day. One thing that has stood out to me has been the emphasis on diet and rest. After each session, there's a shake and a meal ready for us in the cafeteria. For each  individual, treatment/exercises are tailored to fit your needs. For instance, to maximize peak fitness we use heart monitors, which is something I have never used before.

There are players that I've played against in my college career (the likes of Aubrey Perry for USF) and some from club soccer (such as Andrew Bulls and Ethan Finlay), but we haven't reminisced much about those times yet. The day will come when bragging rights will arise in our conversations, though.

Every day in training has been a fight. The coach has been demanding consistency and quality every day which brings intensity and high speed of play. The vets have been encouraging on and off the field. I have been lucky to establish a relationship with a few of the older guys and they have been giving me good advice that will definitely help me out moving forward.

Off the field, it has been very low-key. Most of my time has been spent either hanging out in our living room watching TV with the roomies or playing FIFA in Aubrey's room. There isn't much to do for fun around Bradenton, so we tend to stay around the apartment complex most of the time. I just stay up to date with Twitter and Facebook to keep in touch with friends and family.

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 11:15:28 PM »
Come nah man.  It ain't call for dat they man.  No need to fight down the youth. I eh think he mean to fight down de youth's football talent and aspirations but de man grow up in ah state with loud West Indian Culture and he turn counterfeit...no excuse fuh dat. Nutten wrong with fitting in but yuh hadda be able to switch back to yuhself and pay respect to yuh roots. We breds Richard Goddard leave Bago real years now and he doh sound a day removed. Dat is de right way.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 11:41:50 PM »
Come nah man.  It ain't call for dat they man.  No need to fight down the youth. I eh think he mean to fight down de youth's football talent and aspirations but de man grow up in ah state with loud West Indian Culture and he turn counterfeit...no excuse fuh dat. Nutten wrong with fitting in but yuh hadda be able to switch back to yuhself and pay respect to yuh roots. We breds Richard Goddard leave Bago real years now and he doh sound a day removed. Dat is de right way.

Buh wey de jail is dis...de moved to the US at age 12, most children quickly adapt to the language and develop the accent more than most adults. This guy went to high school and middle school here I'm sure so he'll adapt to that enviornment among his peers, how can we sit and say where he came from in GA he was exposed to "loud" West Indian culture and he turned counterfiet? We don't know that. The guy even said he eats Trinidad food so he did pay us some respect.
Kevan play de fitball brother, do your best and keep our flag flying.

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 02:05:37 AM »
So f@*king what if he talking like yankee... It's not a trini audience he speaking for, that would understand his accent and broken english. I does see Yorke talking like that too, and he left at a later age. At 12 growing up in a more developed country, I would be surprise if the youth even remember all the Tobago spots. I am sure going to school, he had to change the way he spoke to his American friends, cause I'll tell yuh right now, they don't understand nothing we does say..Plain talk!!

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 02:12:46 AM »
This guy born and grew up in Tobago a place where they talk like a Grenadian and now he sounding like a fresh water yankee. He loves Reggae and Hip Hop and forgot Soca and Trini food.

What a looser.

Yuh hope Eve take note of what??? What yuh should look at, is how you lost all respect and any type of dignity with the way yuh does be up in Jack KAKA HOLE...YUH F@*king MACOMEHMAN. I hope that was enough culture for yuh!!

Offline Jack Horner

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 05:23:44 AM »
soccerman, adapt to what, Reggae and Hip Hop. Reggae is from the Caribbean so is T&T.

What about a support for his own culture and music.

You guys, don't like my frankness and not thinking straight.

The youth is not just American, but Jamaican to.

I have a nephew who were born in America and you would never know he was born there.

Kids must know their roots.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 05:29:12 AM by Jack Horner »
Jack Warner will rise again and the world will beg him him to return and he will say "NO".............

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2012, 09:29:06 AM »
soccerman, adapt to what, Reggae and Hip Hop. Reggae is from the Caribbean so is T&T.

What about a support for his own culture and music.

You guys, don't like my frankness and not thinking straight.

The youth is not just American, but Jamaican to.

I have a nephew who were born in America and you would never know he was born there.

Kids must know their roots.

Alright brother, the question was what do you listen to before a game or something to that extent....he said Bob Marley, Reggae, Lil Wayne and Jay Z.
Truth be told if this same interviewer went to T&T and asked youngsters the same question, I'll like to hear more many of them say right now I got Iwer on my Ipod.

Offline Jack Horner

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 09:44:43 AM »
Since when Bob Marley is someone you listen to before a game ?

Even Machel Mantano songs would have been a better choice.

The youths in T&T are moreorless the same, they are lost and T&T culture is dying.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2012, 09:58:58 AM »
I've heard people talk of studies which show that age 12 is the pivotal age for determining whether or not a person will lose his/her accent completely when immersed in a new environment i.e. If you move to a new country after age 12, you'll never fully adopt the new accent...You'll be able to "code switch", but there'll always be a (large or small) hint of your original accent...before age 12, and you'll full assimilate into the new accent...This fella on the cusp so I dunno lol...

Either way, it's irrelevant - again, another example of a supposedly positive thread that ends up in bad talkin' somebody and arguing among posters...It gettin' real old now fellas...
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

truetrini

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2012, 10:14:59 AM »
Jack Horner is a cow c**t..what yuh expect?

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2012, 10:17:56 AM »

lol How do you decide between who is a fowl f*cker and who is a cow c**t?

Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

truetrini

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2012, 11:06:50 AM »

lol How do you decide between who is a fowl f*cker and who is a cow c**t?

An example of a fowl f**ker is frico...Small dicked turd.
An example of a cow c**t is Jack Horner...Big sloppy and nasty.

Hope this clears it up

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2012, 12:04:21 PM »
Hell, I come here as a big fella and my accent all kinda tie up. Who vex bout dat could stay blue.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2012, 12:53:55 PM »
As long as you live in the states your pronunciation of certain words will change. Take for example the word salad ..... Americans have a soft emphasis on the first "a" while Trinis have a harsh emphasis on the second "a". For me Keavan still has that Trini inflection and cadence when he speaks.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2012, 01:51:06 PM »

What a looser.

Have you ever traveled out of Trinidad?  This guy left Tobago at 12.  There is no way a 12 year-old in the US can maintain a Trini accent for more than 1 year.  Even a 20 year old will lose some of it after a couple of years.  You have no understanding of socialization. I don't care about his accent.  As long as he plays well and represents T&T, it's all good.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Dynamite Warrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2012, 03:57:07 PM »
Crew blanks U.S. U-17 National team in pair of preseason matches

The Crew played its second and third preseason matches on Saturday, facing the U.S. Under-17 National team in a pair of 70-minute games at IMG Fields in Bradenton, Fla. The first match ended 6-0, with Eddie Gaven scoring twice and Justin Meram, Olman Vargas, Milovan Mirosevic and Emilio Renteria tallying one each. Forward Tommy Heinemann then scored twice in the second game, which ended 4-0, with Aaron Horton and Kevan George also recording goals.

The Crew got on the board early as Gaven finished his chance after going one-v-one with the goalkeeper in the eighth minute. In the 15th minute, Vargas crossed a ball into the box for Bernardo Anor who blasted a shot on goal. The ball rebounded to the feet of Gaven who first-timed it into the top-right corner for the 2-0 lead.

In the 27th minute Renteria was brought down in the box after some nice one-two play with Vargas. Mirosevic took the Penalty shot and gave the Black & Gold the 3-0 advantage. Renteria scored a couple of minutes before the end of the first half after finishing a cross by defender Aubrey Perry in the 33rd minute.

In the 51st minute Meram picked up the ball on the left side and, after some nifty dribbling, got into the box and scored the Crew’s fifth goal of the game. Six minutes later Anor crossed the ball to an oncoming Vargas who slid in to beat his defender and score the final goal.

In the 60th minute Anor was brought down in the box after splitting his defenders, but Vargas, who took the penalty, saw his shot saved by the keeper

The scoring started early in the second match as well when Horton blasted a ball towards goal only to see it blocked. George picked up the rebound and toe-poked it into the back of the net in the third minute of play. Horton would get his own tally in the 21st minute when he split two defenders and tucked the ball past the goalkeeper for the 2-0 lead.

In the 39th minute it was Heinemann’s turn to score as he received a cross from Ethan Finlay and took a right-footed shot into the back of the net.

Finlay assisted on the final goal, as well, when he crossed the ball into the box finding Heinemann’s head for the 4-0 final.

The Crew will face its first MLS opponent of preseason on Wednesday, Feb. 15, as the Seattle Sounders visit Bradenton. The Black & Gold will return to Columbus to continue preseason preparations on Feb. 16 before traveling to Charleston, S.C., on Feb. 23 for the Carolina Challenge Cup which runs Feb. 25-March 3
Second Match: Columbus Crew 4, U.S. U-17s 0

Scoring Summary:

CLB – Kevan George (Unassisted) 3

CLB – Aaron Horton (Kevan George) 21

CLB – Tommy Heinemann (Ethan Finlay) 39

CLB – Tommy Heinemann (Ethan Finlay) 53

Columbus Crew Lineup – Matt Lampson, Kasali Casal*, Josh Williams, Eric Gehrig (Shaun Francis, 13, Javier Avial*), Korey Veeder, Ethan Finlay, Cole Grossman, Kevan George, Justin Meram (Darren Amoo, 15), Tommy Heinemann, Aaron Horton (Andrew Bulls, 36)

http://www.thecrew.com/news/2012/02/crew-blanks-us-u-17-national-team-pair-preseason-matches

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Kevan George goes on loan to USL PRO club, Dayton Dutch Lions
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2014, 04:04:51 PM »
Kevan George goes on loan to USL PRO club, Dayton Dutch Lions.
http://www.thecrew.com/news/2014/03/crew-sends-five-players-loan-dayton-dutch-lions-usl-pro

Then you have guys that just need game time in their positions, and Kevan is a great example. We see him as a center back and we think that he’s going to get invaluable experience being able to play with Dayton week in and week out.”

George has made 18 appearances including seven starts during the last two seasons while splitting time as a defensive midfielder and center back. The former is his preferred position, and he struggled in a loss to New York last season while trying to learn how to play central defense. Berhalter said George could be needed when the defense loses as many as three players – center backs Michael Parkhurst and Giancarlo Gonzalez and left back Waylon Francis – to World Cup duty.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/blogs/covering-the-crew/2014/03/dayton-bound.html

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2014, 07:11:19 PM »
Good to see his club is thinking in advance to loan him so he can be valuable for them for the WC period, positive move for his development.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2014, 01:19:58 PM »
Nice to have some versatility, lets hope he takes to it or it could hurt his game.

1]; } ?>