April 26, 2024, 03:26:57 PM

Author Topic: Brent Sancho Thread  (Read 50710 times)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Breaking News: Brent Sancho is the new Minister of Sport
« Reply #210 on: February 11, 2015, 07:34:43 AM »
FS get wok with de Minister of Sports, nice man.

But is there a law for having a foreign born work for the government?

Next thing we go hear is Terry Fenwick coming back soon for wok to.

Well, actually, I work for the Minister, not the Ministry or govt, so there is none of the civil service package available to me. When he goes-I go!!

If you are the adviser to the Minister as a bff of minds yes when he goes you go but FYI in case you do not know which I doubt you will receive a gratuity for the period you are employed.

Hence why I stated  so there is none of the civil service package available to me !!

But thou make us feel when u leave not getting anything. All Public Servants on contract get a gratuity upon completition of that contract.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 11, 2015, 07:51:50 AM »
On the practice of allowing sporting stadia to be used for events such as concerts, Sancho said this was now standard internationally.

“The athlete side of me will say no, but the business side says of course these events should be allowed,” the Minister said. “It is done all over the world. That is the norm. What we do have to develop is a facility that is multi-faceted.”

Well, there she goes. Football better look for there own small stadiums.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 11, 2015, 09:53:02 AM »
Well, actually, I work for the Minister, not the Ministry or govt, so there is none of the civil service package available to me. When he goes-I go!!

Jobs for the boys!  Where elan?
:devil:

Who does the minister work for? Which ministry? So I essence one is under a personal services contract serving  the minister to carry out his work. In essence which is work for the ministry- no matter how you slice it- the " bouncing start" the. Mo is another shade of handing out personal favours and payments to loyalist in the guise of  good- another spillage from life support practice -
disappointing that one chose to accept the ministerial post knowing the principles and track record of this government. To see one of our faithful warriors  being bought out and now politicking in the guise of a dogooder and trying to rebrand the public image of this ministry is translucent.
No worries - the fickle minded public will succumb to sentiments and forget about the woes of the past and proclaim greatness upon hi and vote with their heart . Chuppidity thinking prevails over the logic, intellectual moral and ethical principles of governance and decision making.

Yuh think is only local eating ah food in TNT ? The foreign born expats dancing in the fallout of ineptness. Look at the kinda contract and payout the last two foreign born police commissioners received?  No surprise to watch the mo of this government.
Remember one of our greatest  players was also under a personal services contract to coach the Warriors?  Who was he working for?  A special advisor or an organization?

The more yuh think things change the more they remain the same we?

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 11, 2015, 10:00:07 AM »

Jobs for the boys!  Where elan?
:devil:

Who does the minister work for? Which ministry? So I essence one is under a personal services contract serving  the minister to carry out his work. In essence which is work for the ministry- no matter how you slice it- the " bouncing start" the. Mo is another shade of handing out personal favours and payments to loyalist in the guise of  good- another spillage from life support practice -
disappointing that one chose to accept the ministerial post knowing the principles and track record of this government. To see one of our faithful warriors  being bought out and now politicking in the guise of a dogooder and trying to rebrand the public image of this ministry is translucent.
No worries - the fickle minded public will succumb to sentiments and forget about the woes of the past and proclaim greatness upon hi and vote with their heart . Chuppidity thinking prevails over the logic, intellectual moral and ethical principles of governance and decision making.

Yuh think is only local eating ah food in TNT ? The foreign born expats dancing in the fallout of ineptness. Look at the kinda contract and payout the last two foreign born police commissioners received?  No surprise to watch the mo of this government.
Remember one of our greatest  players was also under a personal services contract to coach the Warriors?  Who was he working for?  A special advisor or an organization?

The more yuh think things change the more they remain the same we?

So, if I hire a maid to clean mih kitchen that mean she wukking fuh de same company dat paying me?
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 11, 2015, 10:08:10 AM »
Ridiculous supposition about the maid- laughable-  obviously one work had to be directly related to the context of the ministry and the operations of it I so far that the results from the work is see as in some way accomplishing the ministry's mandate?

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 11, 2015, 11:06:36 AM »

If you are the adviser to the Minister as a bff of minds yes when he goes you go but FYI in case you do not know which I doubt you will receive a gratuity for the period you are employed.

Hence why I stated  so there is none of the civil service package available to me !!

But thou make us feel when u leave not getting anything. All Public Servants on contract get a gratuity upon completition of that contract.

I believe there is a gratuity after 12 months employment, so hopefully you will vote PP so I can eat ah food (if, of course the PP stay in power and if, of course, they decide to retain Minister Sancho!!

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 11, 2015, 11:14:01 AM »

I believe there is a gratuity after 12 months employment, so hopefully you will vote PP so I can eat ah food (if, of course the PP stay in power and if, of course, they decide to retain Minister Sancho!!
:rotfl: doh count on it pardners  :rotfl:

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 11, 2015, 01:01:56 PM »
Ridiculous supposition about the maid- laughable-  obviously one work had to be directly related to the context of the ministry and the operations of it I so far that the results from the work is see as in some way accomplishing the ministry's mandate?

De point dat was being made is that unless de Ministry is footing de bill, dey not working for de ministry.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 11, 2015, 03:21:59 PM »

So, if I hire a maid to clean mih kitchen that mean she wukking fuh de same company dat paying me?

It depends on where the made payment money is coming from. If it's coming out of your own personal pockets then no but if it's just being funneled thru you from your employer...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 11, 2015, 07:54:26 PM »

Please inform him for me please.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 11, 2015, 09:20:25 PM »

Please inform him for me please.

Looks like FS has been indirectly purchased by the PP.
Ah wonder if FS can vote yet and if he is going to force all his Central FC players to vote similarly?!  :devil:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 12, 2015, 07:40:15 AM »
Looks like FS has been indirectly purchased by the PP.
Ah wonder if FS can vote yet and if he is going to force all his Central FC players to vote similarly?!  :devil:

come now pro............dat jus not right eh......dat not right...shame on u
I pity the fool....

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 12, 2015, 09:09:14 AM »

It depends on where the made payment money is coming from. If it's coming out of your own personal pockets then no but if it's just being funneled thru you from your employer...

Fully aware! Trust me!

De point dat was being made is that unless de Ministry is footing de bill, dey not working for de ministry.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 12, 2015, 09:45:46 AM »

Fully aware! Trust me!

If he is the adviser to the Minister I assure you the government fitting the bill.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 02, 2015, 04:37:29 PM »
Sancho tackles TTFA: Tim Kee must use gate receipts to pay players

Sport Minister Brent Sancho has made his opening gambit in the Government’s new relationship with the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) by setting the football body an ultimatum in presenting its accounts for inspection as well as taking a more hands-on approach in State-funded international matches.

The most immediate test of the fledgling relationship will come on Friday March 27 when the Senior National Men’s team host Panama at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Port of Spain.

The Sport Ministry has agreed to fund the international warm-up game, which is part of the team’s 2015 Gold Cup preparations. But there is a catch.

Sancho wants the TTFA to agree to a double-header that gives the Senior National Women’s Team an opportunity to be involved as well. And the Sport Ministry wants the football body to agree to give 50 percent of gate receipts to players and staff for match fees and stipends.

Sancho, who started all three games for Trinidad and Tobago at the Germany 2006 World Cup, told Wired868 that he was concerned about the stagnation of the “Women Warriors” who were just minutes away from a historic Canada 2015 World Cup place before a 1-0 FIFA Play Off defeat to Ecuador last December.

Read more...
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #225 on: April 02, 2015, 01:50:56 AM »
Cricket Board, Sports Ministry sign million-dollar club deal
By Sean Nero (Guardian).

Sports Minister Brent Sancho and Azim Bassarath, president of the T&T Cricket Board yesterday signed a million-dollar deal that will see 191 clubs in various categories access critical assistance from the state.

The agreement was signed at a media conference held at the VIP Lounge at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Woodbrook, where Sancho announced premier one clubs would each receive $25,000, while premier two clubs would be entitled to $13,000 each.

The sum of $10,000 has been allocated to clubs in the championship division, while, clubs from Tobago, as well as, the zones were presented with grants valued at $2,500 each.

Sancho praised Bassarath for his quality approach to the discussions that led to rebuilding the relationship between the board and the ministry.

The TTCB official said letters requesting assistance for his membership were sent to the ministry twice before. Those correspondences were not acknowledged.

This time around, he said, letters issued on February 9 this year, did not go unattended as a direct result of the new minister’s philosophy.

Sancho said: “I want to ask Mr Bassarath and his executive to give a serious thought to making your top league a semi-professional league, so that more young people will see sport as a viable career option and that they do not have to wait on the West Indies cricket team to present such an opportunity. A semi-professional league will also open the door to other top cricketers choosing T&T as a possible place of work, while helping in developing the game in T&T. Because of the strength of the club system in cricket, I told Mr Bassarath that we should work together to ensure the survival of club life and club competition in T&T.”

He added, “The Ministry of Sport in conjunction with the TTCB have decided to allocate $1 million to clubs in T&T to help with their on-going work in the key areas of administration and development. No club is being left out and after some hard bargaining by your president, we have arrived at the following breakdown. I fully understand the cost of the game is way beyond today’s grant. I assure you that this is a start and that my ministry will continue to aggressively find ways to ensure clubs survive and even thrive in T&T.”

Sancho underscored how cricket played a key role in the destiny of so many of this country’s heroes and said it would be a serious breach not to pay attention to the sport.

On taking up office a month ago, he said, cricket was a top priority.

“While the sport has been experiencing serious challenges across the region, T&T has been a shining light. Our Red Force is the envy of the world. Kieron Pollard, the Bravo Brothers (Dwayne and Darren), Sunil Narine, Shannon Gabriel, Lendl Simmons, Samuel Badree, Ravi Rampaul, Denesh Ramdin, are just a few of the names to have graduated from the programmes of the TTCB and the club that are its members and indeed the communities that nurture those clubs. Thanks to the TTCB and you the clubs, these young men are now making sport a very good livelihood,” he said.

In a direct response, Bassarath said, “Our clubs, Mr Minister, continue to unearth, nurture and develop talent to represent our country and our region. Yes, all our stars of today are home grown. They represent clubs. They represent communities. They have all passed through our youth development programmes. As a board, we recognise the highly important role that our local clubs fill in the making of a cricketer and even in the lean years, we rewarded their input in a small, but tangible way.”

He added, “Today, your ministry has joined us in recognising our clubs and we thank you and your staff at the ministry, who all, we are sure worked to make this possible. To the clubs who are the recipients: a word of advice and caution. We at the TTCB are here to facilitate growth and improvement of our sport. We are custodians of the game on your behalf. Let this contribution by the Ministry of Sport enhance your club, your community and the game of cricket. Do not spend, but invest for investment brings returns.”

Former WIPA president Dinnanath Ramnarine receives a check valued at $15,000 from Minister of Sports, Senator Brent Sancho during the distribution of cheques to local cricket clubs at the VIP Lounge, Hasley Crawford Stadium, yesterday. PHOTO: ABRAHAM DIAZ

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Brent Sancho Thread
« Reply #226 on: February 19, 2017, 06:04:27 AM »
Sancho queries TTFA’s media release on Central FC.
T&T Newsday Reports.

BRENT SANCHO, owner of three-time Digicel Pro League champions Central FC, has queried a media release issued yesterday by the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA).

The media release quoted Central FC’s goalkeeper Jan-Michael Williams as refuting statements he allegedly made in a club media release on Friday - in which the national keeper claimed that the team was yet to receive a letter of congratulations from the Minister of Sports Darryl Smith.

According to the TTFA, Williams was quoted as saying, “I am not one to play politics with the game that I love nor do I have interest in either attacking the Ministry of Sport or the Sport Minister.

My statements obviously were incorrectly interpreted.” However, Sancho yesterday wondered why the rebuttal came via a TTFA media release, when Williams is still a member of Central FC.

“I find it very strange that the TTFA will release such a (media) release at this time,” said Sancho.

“How is this inclusive of the TTFA? Jan is a Central FC player.

“I don’t think it’s about the statement,” continued Sancho. “I don’t think anything that was said was not true. I’ve had personal experience where I’ve been blacklisted for standing up for the rights of the players. I understand his position.

“Central FC is the only club to achieve anything in football regionally (in the past couple years).

I think it’s a club which should be lauded. I stand by my statement, not even a congratulatory statement was made (by the Minister).”

Sancho, the ex-Trinidad and Tobago defender, pointed out, “at the end of the day, if it’s against Brent Sancho and whatever perceived political alliances, that’s something completely different. But, as far as I’m concerned, sports comes first. That’s how I see it.”

Asked if the media release from the TTFA highlights a hidden agenda, Sancho replied, “it has to be. How is it that, after all we’ve achieved, that the first statement coming out of the (TTFA) is not even a word of congratulations but to try and antagonise a situation.”

Concerning any feedback from the Pro League about the outstanding prize monies for winning the past three league titles, Sancho noted, “the last statement told you that they’re trying to set up a meeting with the Minister and I think that’s where the energy should be flowed, not trying to make something out of nothing.

The energy should be put in towards making sure that the prize monies, making sure that the League continues and making sure that we have the support going through.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #227 on: December 23, 2017, 05:50:27 AM »
Sancho laments $$ woes.
T&T Newsday Reports.

Brent Sancho, owner of former TT Pro League winners Central FC, is lamenting the financial woes facing the club as it prepares to compete at the 2018 CONCACAF Caribbean Club Championships.

Central FC, who finished a lowly ninth in the 10-team points standings in the 2017 TT Pro League, has endured a miserable year, with coach Stern John in charge of a team that was a pale imitation of the one that captured three straight Pro League crowns (2014-15, 2015-16, 2016-17).

At the CONCACAF Caribbean Club Championships, Central FC were drawn in Group B, where it would tackle hosts Atlantico FC (Dominican Republic), Portmore United (Jamaica) and Racing FC (Haiti).

In a telephone interview on Thursday, Sancho said, “First of all, we don’t even know how we’re getting there. It’s been tough, with the financial situation that the clubs have had during the Pro League. That hasn’t changed.”

The former national football team defender and ex-sports minister pointed out that the club is still owed prize money for its title success.

He noted, “We’re still hoping to have some sort of respite from the Sports Company.”

Sancho acknowledged it will be difficult for the team to prepare, and even travel, to the Dominican Republic for this competition. “For us, as a club, we are basically putting out a public plea for corporate support, or even government support, in some way or fashion where we can at least get these young men out there to represent the country,” he said.

With regard to assistance from CONCACAF, Sancho said, “You do get some sort of money from them, but it’s never enough to cover the flights, that’s for sure. But then there is preparation for the tournament, so we’ll have to start to train.

“ We have to try and figure out a way to pay up some of the players and find monies for all the different things to get yourself there, to prepare yourself for the tournament. That is a struggle.”

Central FC used a number of on-loan players for the 2017 CONCACAF Caribbean Club Championships.

“We’re fortunate to have good affiliations in Belgium,”said Sancho. “We’ve just formed one with clubs in the US as well, (but) even that is a cost. You have to get those boys here and we have to accommodate them. I don’t see where the funds are coming from to do that, not when a club is owed almost $2 million. It’s almost impossible.

“That’s a massive hole to fill, so you’re always playing catch-up. Even trying to do those things, as much as it helps, is still a challenge.”

Concerning any feedback from the Pro League, Sancho said, “Remember, we were promised back in April that the Pro League subventions would continue over the entire season. Leading up to here now, this month being December, there is still no word.

“We don’t know anything that’s happening. I don’t know if it will happen in January. It’s really crucial times for the league and, obviously, with the challenges that we face.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 03, 2018, 05:47:40 AM »
LISTEN: Brent talks in depth about what are the growing pains in the initial stages of the CONCACAF National League. He also gives more insight on some of the issues that have always been present for Caribbean sides in terms of logistics. Brent also discussed the positives of this entire process for the growth of the game in the region.

He also talks about the problems at the youth level in Trinidad & Tobago and how they need to be rectified after the aftermath of the Jack Warner era at that country’s FA.

All this and more as Brent talks Champions League and also goes into some great detail of that night on Couva when Trinidad turned a “meaningless match” into “a must-win” and how the “Wow, we won factor” against the United States wasn’t felt by the players until the following day.

CLICK HERE to listen to the podcast.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 11, 2019, 07:52:33 PM »
Ex-Dundee ace Brent Sancho reveals his post-playing career saw him build a club from scratch
By Robert Thomson (The Scottish Sun)

WHAT to do after a career in football is a quandary every player faces.

In days gone by, buying pubs and property was the plan when you hit your mid-30s.

Now it’s coaching schools and agency work.

Brent Sancho, however, took a completely different path when his playing days came to an end.

Instead of working for another club, he decided to build his own.

The former Dundee defender started Central FC in 2012 and quickly turned them into the top team in Trinidad, winning the domestic title three times in a row and the Caribbean Club Championship twice.

They have also been in talks with English Premier League side Cardiff City about linking up as a feeder club.

As well as building his club from scratch, Sancho, now 41, also managed to fit in becoming Minister Of Sport in then Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar’s cabinet.

And if that wasn’t enough, the 2006 World Cup star owns a chain of restaurants and is planning to launch one in Glasgow soon.

He said: “I have been pretty much involved in everything possible since I retired from football.

“I started up a professional club, Central FC, and we won the domestic title three times in a row.

“We have also won the Caribbean Club Championship, which is like our version of the Champions League, twice.

“We have only been in existence for six years but we have been quite successful in our exploits on and off the field. I am the founder and chairman of the club.

“We had Graham Rix as head coach and also Terry Fenwick in the past too. Our current manager is Stern John, who is Trinidad’s record goalscorer.

“We have done quite well but it has been very difficult to get to where we are. We started from scratch, it’s not an easy thing to do.

“First you have to work out what you want to achieve and think about the direction you want to go in.

“You need to get investment, which is hard because you have to get people to believe in the dream of having a professional sports club.

“It was a challenge but the backers we found saw what we were trying to do and they supported us wholeheartedly.

“Then you have to get the right people, the right backroom staff and administrative staff to implement the ideology you have worked out.

“Once you do that, you then have to get the right manager and back him to identify and sign the right players to take the club the way you want it to go. In a short space of time we managed to do it and become successful.

“I think that was down to hard work. We believed so much in what we were doing we outworked every other club. I think that was the difference.

“The last few years have been a whirlwind and now we have other clubs looking at us.

“We have spoken to some people at big clubs, for example Ken Choo at Cardiff City, and they are interested in turning the club into a feeder.

“There is a lot of interest in that sort of thing now.

“We recently sold a player, Levi Garcia, to AZ Alkmaar in Holland, which is incredible. We work on what you would term a shoestring budget but we are giving players coaching with a view to helping them move to Europe and elsewhere.

“That has to be the model we work on because there are good players in the Caribbean but we don’t really have an academy system.

“When you look at the players we have produced, like Dwight Yorke, Stern, Leon Bailey from Jamaica, the talent is there.

“If we can get a system of nurturing the talent then there are so many possibilities and that is our aim.”

Sancho’s emergence as a business brain in sport and also as the franchise holder for Japs Fried Chicken restaurants brought him to the attention of Kamla Persad-Bissessar, the islands’ first female Prime Minister.

At a reception one night, he was sounded out about political ambitions and within weeks found himself inside government.

He explained: “Central FC was doing well and the Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar spoke to me at a function.

“She said that I was young and I had done very well, so I could be an inspiration to people.

“A month later she phoned me and asked if I wanted to become her next Minister of Sport.

“I asked her if I could have time to think about it but she said no.

“So I just replied to her ‘Okay then, I’m your man’.

“There was no way I would ever have turned my back on helping my country anyway.

“I became the first footballer in the Caribbean to become a Minister.

“It was an interesting time, it was a bit different to being a footballer in Scotland anyway!

“But it was a great honour to get that chance and to be given the opportunity to help make things better for our people.

“It was a strange experience in a lot of ways. You have to get used to being followed around by security guards all the time for example.

“I currently own a few franchises for a very famous chicken restaurant in Trinidad and I am actually looking to open a restaurant in Glasgow. We had a location but it fell through when someone else took it up instead.

“My business partner is from Glasgow, so we are looking at new locations and plans are in the pipeline for that now.”

Sancho fell in love with British football during his time with Dundee, Ross County, Millwall and Gillingham.

And he would jump at the opportunity to work in Britain again if it ever came up. He said: “Of course, coming back to the UK would interest me.

“It’s something I would love to do.

“I have built up a lot of experience and the skills for a job with a club across there.

“Any club who wants to achieve things these days has to have that chief executive or director of football set-up because the role of a manager now is too big.

“You need someone there to help the manager, someone who is there for the long-term to make sure the ethos of the club stays the same.

“My wife and family are English so I would definitely come back if the chance was there.”

Life and Times
BRENT SANCHO was born in Port of Spain, Trinidad, on March 13, 1977.

He went to college in New York, played football in the UK and played for his country in the 2006 World Cup.

Sancho started his professional career with Portland Timbers before returning to his homeland to play for San Juan Jabloteh on loan. It was during a friendly game against Jim Duffy’s Dundee in 2003 the door opened for him to move to Europe.

Sancho spent two years at Dens Park before joining Gillingham, Millwall and Ross County.

In the summer of 2006, he faced Sweden, England and Paraguay in the World Cup.

After quitting playing, in 2012 Sancho started his own football club, Central FC, and has turned them into one of Trinidad’s most successful sides.

In 2015 he was asked to join Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar’s cabinet and was appointed Minister of Sport.

Sancho is also the owner of fried chicken restaurants in Trinidad and hopes to open the doors of a Glasgow eaterie in the near future.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #230 on: December 29, 2019, 08:49:20 AM »
Sancho: T&T football at crossroads.
By Nigel Simon (Guardian).

Foot­ball in T&T has reached a crit­i­cal cross­roads. That’s the opin­ion of Act­ing T&T Pro League Chair­man, and for­mer T&T World Cup de­fend­er, Brent San­cho.

“We have im­por­tant de­ci­sions to make and I won­der if we have the right peo­ple in place to make the hard de­ci­sions re­quired to move the sport for­ward”, said San­cho on Thurs­day dur­ing an in­ter­view with Guardian Me­dia Sports.

“The Chair­man’s role is a case in point,” said San­cho.

“Both Richard (for­mer chair­man Richard Fakoory, who died ear­li­er this year) and I were asked to step up tem­porar­i­ly, and we were both ho­n­oured to ac­cept the role.

How­ev­er, we both recog­nised that the ap­point­ment could on­ly be tem­po­rary: you sim­ply can’t have a club own­er chair­ing the league”

San­cho ex­plained that the need for in­de­pen­dence is a tough re­quire­ment when you’re dis­cussing is­sues that af­fect your club.

“It’s an im­pos­si­ble sit­u­a­tion. For ex­am­ple, Cen­tral F.C. is still owed prize mon­ey from 2016 and 2017 and yet I can’t ex­press my opin­ion con­cern­ing clubs that owe mon­ey to the league from last sea­son. It’s frus­trat­ing.”

San­cho added that while he has a cast­ing vote, it’s the club own­ers who make the board de­ci­sions which he is man­dat­ed to sup­port.

“We are in ur­gent need of a tru­ly in­de­pen­dent Chair­per­son to guide the board.” Said San­cho. “But we haven’t yet sat down as a board to dis­cuss the cri­te­ria for the po­si­tion, in­clud­ing roles and re­spon­si­bil­i­ties and K.P.I.’s. Then there is al­so the is­sue of salary, as the po­si­tion is cur­rent­ly un­paid.”

San­cho says that he be­lieves that the whole struc­ture of Pro League man­age­ment needs to be re­viewed.

“We need the right peo­ple in the right jobs. Cur­rent­ly, Chief Ex­ec­u­tive Of­fi­cer Ju­lia Bap­tiste is cov­er­ing all bases, and this can’t be right. While she is work­ing tire­less­ly to keep the ship afloat, she needs sup­port.”

San­cho stat­ed that while there have been leaks of board mem­bers crit­i­cisms of Bap­tiste, this is per­fect­ly nor­mal in busi­ness.

He said, “I am cer­tain that every CEO is crit­i­cised by their board from time to time."

San­cho re­ferred John Ly­dgate, who fa­mous­ly said: “You can’t please all of the peo­ple all of the time. How­ev­er, I am con­cerned about the al­le­ga­tions of misog­y­ny. Bap­tiste has been sup­port­ed by the Pro League board for 17 years. I am sure that there aren’t many male-dom­i­nat­ed sports or­gan­i­sa­tions that have sup­port­ed a se­nior fe­male ex­ec­u­tive for such a long pe­ri­od. So the ac­cu­sa­tions of sex­ism by the Pro League board is mis­chief-mak­ing by per­sons with their neg­a­tive agen­das."

He added, "I am per­son­al­ly dis­gust­ed by this con­tin­u­ing prac­tice of leak­ing con­fi­den­tial emails to the me­dia. No good can come of this. Di­rec­tors of any com­pa­ny should be able to voice their con­cerns to each oth­er with­out wor­ry­ing about their thoughts be­ing tak­en out of con­text. We are al­most reach­ing an Or­wellian state where peo­ple are cas­ti­gat­ed for 'Thought Crimes'."

San­cho point­ed out that these me­dia is­sues are keep­ing tal­ent­ed ad­min­is­tra­tors away from foot­ball. “Over the last two years, foot­ball has made more head­lines through pol­i­tics than through the sport it­self. It shouldn’t be that way. Yes, ad­min­is­tra­tors should be an­swer­able, but far too much is be­ing aired in pub­lic that doesn’t need to be. And much of this is fu­elled pure­ly by pol­i­tics, and even ha­tred. "

He said an­oth­er fa­mous quote of John Ly­dgate states that 'emp­ty ves­sels make the most noise'.

He con­clud­ed, "We are lis­ten­ing to the peo­ple who shout loud­est rather than those who whis­per wise­ly. This ap­proach doesn’t work for coach­es on the touch­line and it doesn’t work in the board room. This men­tal­i­ty must change and I am hop­ing that the Pro League will soon iden­ti­fy such a per­son to step in­to the chair and car­ry our foot­ball for­ward."

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Sancho honoured to be named in Concacaf Group
« Reply #231 on: May 06, 2020, 08:04:54 PM »
Sancho honoured to be named in Concacaf Group
By Joel Bailey (T&T Newsday)

FORMER Sports Minister Brent Sancho said he is “honoured” to be named by Concacaf (Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Association Football) in a Caribbean Professional League Working Group, which has the support of the global governing body FIFA.

According to Concacaf, the new group will be a subgroup of the Concacaf Competitions Committee and will carry out a comprehensive study of Caribbean professional club football. It will include the chairman of the Concacaf Competitions Committee, president of the Caribbean Football Union (CFU), regional football experts and a FIFA representative.

The Group, which was announced on the Concacaf website on April 29, comprises of chairman Yon De Luisa, deputy chairman Randolph Harris (CFU president), members Sancho, Christopher Samuda (Jamaica), Patrick Massenat (Haiti), Manuel Estrella (Dominican Republic), Valdemar Florentino Marcha (Curacao) and a FIFA representative.

During an interview via Whatsapp on Tuesday, Sancho said, “I am extremely honoured to be given a chance to give input in such an exciting initiative.”

Sancho, the former TT central defender and owner of former TT Pro League champs Central FC, pointed out, “Nothing will happen before its time, as it relates to the time-line for this league.”

The acting chairman of the TT Pro League said, “Football in the Caribbean has been making terrific strides of late, particularly since the introduction of the Nations League.

“The recent results of Guyana and Grenada, the performance of Haiti in the last-concluded Gold Cup, and the advancement of Portmore in the Concacaf Club Championship is indicative of this,” he continued. “It is a positive.”

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #232 on: June 04, 2020, 07:11:29 AM »
Dear editor: Will the real Brent Sancho please stand up?.
Wired868.com.

“[…] Is this the same [Brent] Sancho person as the former national footballer, who took Jack Warner’s all-powerful TTFA to court some years ago and subsequently levied on the umbrella body’s offices? And who, as leader of the levying group, took the trouble to ensure that he also took away with him the uniforms of the national team that was in training?

“Is this the same Sancho person who, alerted that those uniforms were needed for the national team to play in, flung over his shoulder the response that: ‘they can play bareback’? […]”

The following letter to the editor on interim Pro League chairman Brent Sancho’s decision to support the Fifa normalisation committee was submitted to Wired868 by Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) assistant general secretary Laurence Seepersad:

Since the FIFA normalisation committee was appointed and put in place to supplant the duly and democratically elected officers of the TTFA after just three months in office, a lot has been aired and published in the media. Tom, Dick and Harrilal all seem to have an opinion on the issue and all seem to think that opinion should be shared with the public at large.

I can honestly say that I have no problem with that. I do, however, have a difficulty with the identity of at least one of those who have come out in open, unqualified support of the appointment of the normalisation committee.

I have to confess that seeing that one person in the ranks of the pro-Fifa cohort has left me confused. And amazed. That person is ex-Soca Warrior Brent Sancho, on whose broad back Peter Crouch unforgettably climbed, pulling at his inviting locks, during T&T’s 2006 World Cup defeat by England in Germany.

Is this the same Sancho person who loudly protested Crouch’s action and heard 1.3 million voices—or the better part of—echo his protests? Fair is fair and, if we’re playing by the rules, such action simply cannot be allowed to go unpunished.

Is this the same Sancho person as the former national footballer, who took Jack Warner’s all-powerful TTFA to court some years ago and subsequently levied on the umbrella body’s offices? And who, as leader of the levying group, took the trouble to ensure that he also took away with him the uniforms of the national team that was in training?

Is this the same Sancho person who, alerted that those uniforms were needed for the national team to play in, flung over his shoulder the response that: ‘they can play bareback’?

I have nothing against the footballers, the young lady asking the question and the 1.3 million of us eavesdropping were supposed to understand, it’s the principle of the thing, man!

It is this same Sancho person who would go on to become a high-profile public figure, a minister of government, no less, charged with the responsibility of national development, of inculcating fair play, honesty, accountability and democracy among the nation’s sportsmen and women, young and old?

After all, you can’t go wrong with principle, can you?

So is this the same Sancho whose voice has been heard loudly among those leading the anti-William Wallace chorus?

Maybe. But maybe not. The same Sancho who has been so forthcoming, so forthright, so vociferous on the Fifa issue is heavily invested in national football.

He has his own professional football club and, despite irresponsible media reports that may seem to suggest otherwise, I am almost certain that all his players are well taken care of and have been paid all monies due to them for their services.

The same Sancho, yesterday’s minister of sport, still has political aspirations today. Politics, we have it on good authority, has its own morality and yesterday is yesterday and today is today.

So today’s club-owner Sancho may well be no less passionate about the welfare and future of all local footballers, young and old, than yesterday’s minister of sport Sancho. But I don’t think he would want them to ‘play bareback’.

Maybe Sancho would not stand up in defence of any national sporting person or entity, against any organisation, however powerful, which might seek to perpetrate an illegal act on it.

But I don’t think Sancho would not be among the first to seek to protect the status of the duly elected officers of any local sporting organisation. Not because he has anything to gain personally from so doing but because it is the principled thing to do.

After all, old habits die hard.

So I cannot believe that the real Sancho, who braved the wrath of Warner and his TTFA all those years ago, standing up for what he believed in, is the same Sancho who today is vehemently against Wallace and his vice-presidents whose rights have been so clearly trampled upon…

…and sees nothing wrong with that.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #233 on: August 22, 2020, 08:07:13 AM »
Sancho: Selfishness will cost T&T football
By Jonathan Ramnanansingh (Newsday).

The decision by ousted TT Football Association (TTFA) president William Wallace and his executive to pursue the ongoing dispute with FIFA at the T&T High Court can end all hopes of this nation’s 2022 World Cup qualification bid and effectively end the careers of some of T&T’s most prolific footballers.

TTFA board member Brent Sancho believes the actions of Wallace will have far-reaching consequences when FIFA decides to put its foot down.

In FIFA’s most recent statement on the matter, on Thursday, the world governing body warned that Wallace’s “insistence” to bring this matter to a local court instead of “the established dispute resolution forum at the Court of Arbitration for Sport greatly endangers the position of T&T football internationally.”

It also stated, “The absence of a resolution that is in line with the statutes of both FIFA and the TTFA will result in the matter being brought to the attention of the relevant FIFA bodies for consideration and potential further action.”

In a telephone interview with Newsday on Friday, Sancho, a 2006 World Cup player, questioned whether Wallace and his axed executive have considered the negative impact their stance could have on both the local administration and its players.

He said, “Their (FIFA) actions could vary from suspension to expulsion. FIFA’s statutes are abundantly clear. Wallace and Co need to understand they’re putting our 2022 World Cup qualification campaign at risk. If we are suspended, worse yet expelled, would that not severely hamper or immediately end our chances of qualifying for Qatar?

“If T&T is banned from football activity, you are ending the careers of (national players) Khaleem Hyland, Marvin Phillip and the other young men who have a great opportunity to qualify for the World Cup. You are going to end their career because of your selfish ways. Has Wallace spoken to any of the national players how they feel on this?”

Sancho challenged Wallace and the United TTFA to seek a mandate from the over 45-member TTFA membership on their decision to legally tackle FIFA on local soil.

Sancho is of firm belief the ousted executive will not gather more than 50 percent of the membership’s support and should give up their protest on FIFA’s decision to remove the executive and appoint a normalisation committee.

“I can guarantee and only until he (Wallace) can show that, he and his vice-presidents are operating rogue and outside of the membership. They are now limiting decisions on the future of T&T football to five or six persons, which is a complete disrespect to the membership.

“If he believes this is best for T&T football, bring it in front of the membership now, I dare him to do that and get the majority vote that he needs to conjure that. I can guarantee he does not have the majority and they do not feel that way. If he does not have the majority support, step aside and remove this from the local court and not allow T&T to be sanctioned for selfish needs and reasons,” he added.

The Central FC director also questioned why Wallace would contest for local presidency if he did not agree with FIFA’s statutes.

On March 17 FIFA removed Wallace and his vice-presidents Clynt Taylor, Susan Joseph-Warrick and Joseph Sam Phillip, who were elected in November 2019. FIFA said the decision was made due to the association’s financial woes and massive debt.

FIFA then placed a normalisation committee, headed by businessman Robert Hadad, to run the TTFA’s daily affairs and establish a debt repayment plan. In April, however, Wallace’s contingent appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) in Switzerland, saying the decision was a breach of the TTFA’s constitution.

Wallace's team withdrew the appeal claiming CAS would not give a “fair hearing” and instead went to the High Court in Trinidad on May 18.

FIFA responded saying they do “not and will never, accept the jurisdiction of a local court in T&T to decide on the legality of the appointment of a normalisation committee currently appointed to run football in the territory.”

On August 13, Justice Carol Gobin rejected FIFA’s application to strike out the claim because its rules prevents member federations and associations from commencing proceedings against it in their local courts.

Gobin said, “I do not think that arbitration would be the appropriate forum for the resolution of this dispute. This case goes well beyond TTFA’s alleged governance issues and the justifiability of FIFA’s purported action in appointing the normalisation committee."

Former TTFA technical committee chairman Keith Look Loy on Friday said he was not surprised by FIFA’s resistance of the local court’s decision. He claims taking the matter to the CAS is a clear plan to hide the inconsistencies of past administrations and gain a legal advantage in Zurich.

“What they are afraid of doing is submitting themselves to the court (local) for this substantive matter, which is whether FIFA has the authority to remove a democratically-elected executive and impose a committee from outside. That hearing is going to go into all of the mismanagement of the past administrations and the role of FIFA in that.

“I have maintained from the start that this is what the normalisation committee is all about and I hold to that. They don’t want to get to the substantive matter that’s why they want to get it out of T&T and off to Switzerland where they have control over the process and information,” said Look Loy.

The United TTFA member also believes the current court matter would not affect T&T’s World Cup qualification campaign. He has even requested FIFA disburse its annual allocation (approximately US$3m) and the US$500,000 covid19 release funds promised by the Gianni Infantino-led organisation to each of the 211 national associations.

Look Loy continued, “If all parties involved claim to be interested in T&T football, the normalisation committee would get the money from FIFA to finance this World Cup campaign while we fight it out in the courtroom. Football can still go on, on the field. I challenge them to do that. I would encourage them to find the money from our outstanding FIFA allocation.”

The FC Santa Rosa president added, “The next step is that they (FIFA) have to submit their appeal and then we would have to submit our response to that. A High Court judge would be appointed, he or she would set a date and the hearing will proceed. The judge will take however long to arrive at a decision. In principle, this could take months. That’s the legal procedure.”

RELATED NEWS

Sancho to Wallace: Do you have the membership support?.
By Walter Alibey (Guardian).

Most of this country's footballers, in the latter part of their careers, such as captain Khaleem Hyland, Kevin Molino, Daneil Cyrus, Marvin Phillip and Mekeil Williams, among many others could be facing a dismal end to their careers due to the ongoing feud between the T&T Football Association and the sport's governing body FIFA.

On Friday, Brent Sancho called on the members of the United TTFA, president William, Clynt Taylor, Susan Joseph-Warrick and Joseph Sam Phillip to cease the fight against the FIFA immediately until they can prove that they have the majority support of the Board of Directors of the TTFA, as well as the support of many players who are in the latter part of their careers.

The country faces certain sanctions from the FIFA for the TTFA's attempt to overturn a decision by the FIFA on March 17, to appoint a Normalisation Committee to govern T&T football. The appointment came after an auditing team from the FIFA/CONCACAF in February, found the status of the sport to be on the verge of insolvency, without any programme by the Wallace-led football association to clear a debt that has crippled it for many years.

Wallace and his team, who assumed office on November 24, some three months before the decision to appoint the normalisation committee, have since challenged the decision to remove them. And after they claimed to have not received the support from the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) in their initial appeal process, the legitimate jurisdiction for Member Associations to settle all grievances by the FIFA, they appeared to have won round one of the battles after seeking justice in the High Court of T&T, where Justice Carol Gobin ruled in their (United TTFA) favour on August 13, to have the matter heard in the High Court.

However, FIFA said in its appeal on Thursday that the country faces being banned, if the CAS is not used to settle the dispute, according to their statutes and regulations.

Sancho, the acting chairman of the T&T Pro League, told Guardian Media Sports on Friday that he deliberately stayed silent recently, but could not see the country and so many players, those in the latter part of their careers, as well as those budding players suffer because of people who do not care about the sport.

He said Wallace and his team have been making decisions that will make the country get sanctioned. “Wallace has not even consulted with the membership, as he did with the contracts of coach Terry Fenwick, TTFA Marketing representative Peter Miller and TTFA General Secretary Ramesh Ramdhan, all of whom appeared to have received contracts that were not approved by the Board of the TTFA.”

Sancho said in the interest of being fair, he wanted Wallace and his team to prove that they have the majority support of the Board to do what they are doing now. “Furthermore, let them say if they have an agreement from the older players on the team, to take the actions they are taking now. Do these players know that they will be collateral damage, that they will pay the ultimate price of the decision to challenge the FIFA.?”

According to Sancho: ”I also want Wallace to state if he knew about the Statutes of the FIFA and the TTFA when he was a candidate for the TTFA elections in November last year.

Sancho concluded by saying if Wallace can prove he has majority support of the football membership in T&T, he will be the first one in front of the court doors to support him in his fight.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 08:12:46 AM by Flex »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #234 on: August 28, 2020, 03:29:48 AM »
Football’s membership gains support to stop court battle.
By Walter Alibey (Guardian).

A last-ditch attempt to get members of the United T&T Football Association (TTFA) to drop its legal battle against football’s world governing body FIFA, to remove a Normalisation Committee that was appointed to govern the affairs of local football on March 27, seems to be gaining traction.

Guardian Media Sports was reliably informed that a petition requiring the signatures of the membership has already received more than 50 per cent support of the 49 delegates, who can make decisions inclusive of pending signatures of the Women’s Football League (WoLF), although its president Susan Joseph-Warrick is a vice president of United TTFA executive, which was FIFA removed on March 17.

Also expected to sign on the dotted line are Eastern Counties Football Union president Sherwin Dyer, the Central Football Association (CFA), the Tobago Football Association (TFA) and the Eastern Football Association (EFA) among many others, along with other support from clubs in the T&T Super League (TTSL)and the T&T Pro League. Secondary Schools Football League’s (SSFL) interim president Philip Fraser said he will first take the request to his membership before he can sign for or against.

Both Brent Sancho, chairman of the T&T Pro League and Mike Awai, a Business Development Officer at Pro League campaigners AC Port-of-Spain, has said that with 51 per cent support of the membership, a request can be made to the chairman of the normalisation committee, businessman Robert Hadad to call an emergency general meeting, from which a decision can be made to seek the court’s approval to stop the action of the ousted TTFA executive members - former president William Wallace and his three vice presidents - Clynt Taylor, Joseph-Warrick and Joseph Sam Phillip, which has put the country in a position to be sanctioned by FIFA.

Sancho said also that with 75 per cent of the support of the football membership, the United TTFA group can be stopped outrightly, as they would not be representing the wishes of the majority of the members.

Only on Wednesday, a letter from FIFA’s secretary general Fatma Samoura warned the United TTFA that if they did not comply with the FIFA Statutes, and accept the Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS) based in Zurich, Switzerland, as the jurisdiction for settling the dispute between the parties, then the country faces sanctions.

Samoura also gave the United TTFA executive a deadline date of September 16, 2020 to take its matter out of the T&T High Court in Port-of-Spain.

Meanwhile, in an unexplainable twist, Keith Look Loy, the man responsible for the formation of the United TTFA, sought suggestions from the membership of his club FC Santa Rosa, via Facebook yesterday, on whether they should continue their fight with the FIFA, or if they should surrender and let the FIFA have its way.

Wallace, president of the United TTFA, said he believes Look Loy must have been testing the waters to see what their support was like. He later reaffirmed his team’s firm stance against FIFA, saying they are to meet soon, in the wake of Wednesday threatening letter from FIFA.

Christine Hoyte, WoLF’s representative on the Board of the TTFA, said yesterday that a decision was taken to sign the petition as the WoLF doesn’t support the country being banned.

Hoyte said: "This is a matter between the United TTFA and the FIFA so we don’t feel that the country, which has a number of young people pursuing dreams in football, should suffer for that. It would take away the dream from young people and leave them with no other alternative. There are also young players seeking professional contracts and scholarships abroad and their history in the sport here will determine if they will be successful or not.”

Hoyte, a former national defender, made it clear that WoLF’s goal is firmly towards the development of women football in T&T.

Dyer, who is set to be challenged for the top position in the eastern counties, said he heard about the petition and he is impatiently waiting to sign it, saying he will not support the country being sanctioned and will also never support anything Look Loy is involved in.

RELATED NEWS

Delegates sign petition calling for withdrawal of FIFA court case.
By Ian Prescott (Express).

MOVE ON WALLACE

DELEGATES representing national football clubs have given strong support via a petition demanding that the “United TTFA” faction of the local football association drop its case against the Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) in the Trinidad and Tobago High Court.

If necessary, delegates might even seek Wallace’s formal removal as TTFA president via a general meeting. However, former sports minister Brent Sancho would prefer that Wallace hear the cries of the TTFA membership and withdraw voluntarily.

“This is democracy and you should have full support of your membership to take on something that will have such damning implications. These guys do not have the majority support of the membership,” Sancho declared, “They (United TTFA) are moving on their own accord and making decisions that will have drastic implications on football in this country.

“Even a youth team trying to go to play in a youth tournament will not be allowed to. Those are the kind of things that will happen with (FIFA) sanctions or suspension of that magnitude,” Sancho added.

Yesterday, Wallace could not be reached by telephone for comment.

Central FC owner Sancho said drastic action was needed in light of FIFA’s ultimatum giving the TTFA a September 16 deadline for withdrawal of a T&T High Court claim brought against the world body by Wallace and vice-presidents Clynt Taylor, Susan Warrick and Sam Phillip.

A mere four months after winning the TTFA elections on November 24, 2019, Wallace and his vice-presidents were booted from office when FIFA intervened and appointed its own committee to run T&T football. Wallace’s exiled executive has since initiated High Court proceedings against FIFA, contrary to the world body’s statutes which mandate suspension from international football and a freeze on FIFA funding for such action.

A former UK-based professional and national team defender, Sancho said support for the petition to end Wallace’s court case is strong.

“The support from the membership is overwhelming. It is overwhelmingly clear that these guys do not have the support of the general membership of the TTFA. We have well over fifty per cent of the membership in support of having Wallace step aside with the court case,” Sancho stated.

Sancho said that strong support has come from the East and Eastern Counties zones, and other bodies, along with the majority of TT Pro League clubs except Club Sando. Resistance, he said, comes from the TT Super League and the North Zone, both headed by prominent United TTFA officials allied to Wallace.

“We have a voting membership of 47 delegates. From what I have seen in the petition, we have over fifty per cent in support of Wallace dropping the court case,” he explained.

Sancho said an effort will also be made to have a general meeting, the forum at which the TTFA executives can be legally removed if such is necessary.

“That (general meeting) is the next step. Within the realms of the constitution we have to call an emergency meeting. So, the next step is getting fifty per cent of the membership to agree on that. Using the petition as a gauge, we have that.

“We have Super League clubs that is (sic) in support of the move to stop Wallace and they continuing with the court case, and there are even members that were heavily in support of the Wallace/United TTFA faction that has (sic) shown their support. There are also clubs in the North Zone in complete agreement with this movement and they are being stymied by the hierarchy of the North Zone.”

« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 04:06:01 AM by Flex »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #235 on: January 29, 2021, 05:04:40 PM »
Sancho: Chance for Fenwick to see new faces.
By Joel Bailey (T&T Newsday).

FORMER T&T defender Brent Sancho says Sunday’s friendly football international match between T&T and hosts United States, at the Exploria Stadium, Orlando, Florida, will be a chance for T&T coach Terry Fenwick to see some new faces in his squad.

Half of Fenwick’s 24-man squad have never played at the international level, among them midfielder Federico Pena (born in T&T but raised in Canada) and the US-born pair of defender Michael DeShields and utility player Jonathan Jimenez.

In an interview on Thursday, Sancho, who is also the chairman of the TT Pro League and owner of ex-Pro League champs Central FC, is eager to see how things transpire in Sunday’s match, which will mark Fenwick’s debut as T&T coach.

Fenwick was hired as T&T coach in January 2020, but has not been afforded an international match, due to the coronavirus lockdown and FIFA’s two-month-long suspension of the TT Football Association (between September and November).

“It’s the new norm,” said Sancho. “Everyone is starting from a similar perspective. There are very few leagues (in) the Concacaf region that is being played, particularly in the Caribbean. Many of the countries have not played a lot of football. It’s put a lot of international (coaches) in a unique position. They would have spent quite a significant amount of time with their charges.”

Sancho, the former Minister of Sports, continued, “Since September, Terry had the team (in training). It would have given him a very good look at what is here locally (and) a very good look at some of the foreign-based.”

It will be a virtual baptism of fire for the T&T squad, who will be using Sunday’s game as preparation for the start of their 2022 FIFA World Cup qualifying campaign.

Sancho mentioned, “It is an opportunity for players to get 90 minutes of international football under their belt. A game that (they) would learn very quickly, both the players and the coaching staff, their strengths and their weaknesses. It’s a team in the region, most importantly.

“The US has always been a tough proposition, whether it is a US A, B or C team,” he continued. “They have a lot of depth in their team, a lot of good youngsters coming through their programmes. It’s going to be an interesting (match). It gives us the opportunity to look at some new faces.

There are lots more positives than negatives.”

Watch - Angus Eve Weighs In On TT Squad For US Friendly

RELATED NEWS

USA vs. Trinidad & Tobago, 2021 friendly: Scouting Trinidad & Tobago
By Brendan Joseph (starsandstripesfc.com)

A busy 2021 opens with a familiar friendly opponent to finish the annual January Camp. The United States Men’s National Team is set to take on Trinidad & Tobago Sunday night at Exploria Stadium in Orlando, Florida. USMNT head coach Gregg Berhalter and U-23 head coach Jason Kreis held a joint camp in Bradenton, Florida with a large young group and a smaller MNT roster. After U-23 camp broke last weekend, Berhalter brought a combined group to Orlando for this match. Concerns about cancellation due to the COVID pandemic were assuaged, with the TTFA thanking the USSF “for their vigilance” and “quite extensive protocol.”

The United States has a 19-3-4 all-time record against the Soca Warriors. This is the Caribbean nation’s first match since November 2019, where they lost 4-0 to Honduras in the final round of CONCACAF Nations League Group C. Trinidad is in search of its second World Cup qualification after reaching the group stage in 2006. The country has struggled since then, falling in the 2014 second round and finishing last in two Hexagonals (2010 and 2018).

Trinidad begins the first round of 2022 World Cup qualifying in March, needing to finish first in their group to advance. Their opponents – Saint Kitts and Nevis, Guyana, Puerto Rico, and the Bahamas – should be easily dispatched, but there are no guarantees on the road to Qatar. Following a dismal third place finish in the last Nations League, the Soca Warriors must also defeat Montserrat and either Cuba or French Guiana to reach this summer’s Gold Cup.

Trinidad and Tobago is led by Terry Fenwick, who assumed the head coaching role in January 2020. His first official match will be this upcoming friendly. The former England international spent the majority of his career with Queens Park Rangers and Tottenham before moving into management. He is one of the most successful domestic club coaches, managing San Juan Jabloteh and Central FC, winning the TT Pro League four times.

Fenwick called in a tentative, ever-changing 24-player roster for the match against the United States, hopeful that additions would eventually be made from MLS. Six members are domestically based in the TT Pro League and eight compete with clubs in the United States. Several of the invitees have yet to make their senior international debut. The group is described as “the best possible players” that could be gathered due to COVID restrictions.

Goalkeepers (2): Marvin Phillip (Unattached), Adrian Foncette (Police FC)

Defenders (10): Alvin Jones (Unattached), Jesse Williams (Coleraine FC), Justin Garcia (Defence Force), Jamal Jack (Sacachispas), Leland Archer (Charleston Battery), Michael DeShields (DC United), Neveal Hackshaw (Indy Eleven), Josiah Trimmingham (Forward Madison), Noah Powder (Real Salt Lake), Federico Pena (Valour FC)

Midfielders (7): Michel Poon-Angeron (Club Banfield), Matthew Woo Ling (AC Port of Spain), Duane Muckette (Memphis 901 FC), Jabari Mitchell (Police FC), Ajani Fortune Jr (Atlanta United Academy), Jonathan Jimenez (Rio Grande Valley FC Toros), Andre Fortune (North Carolina FC)

Attackers (5): Hashim Arcia (Defence Force), Gary Griffith III (Coleraine FC), Sean Bonval (unattached), Brent Sam (Defence Force), Ryan Telfer (York United FC)

This is an inexperienced Trinidad squad, missing quite a few key players such as Khaleem Hyland, Daneil Cyrus, Kevin Molino, Joevin Jones, and Aubrey David. There currently is not a golden generation of youth, and the overall team is missing the firepower of past years. The new manager has had an entire year to work with his squad, preparing for the upcoming year and “going through 325 players.” According to Wired868, “with local leagues still dormant,” the national team has spent the past year “pummeling makeshift teams across the country… that are unable to train.” The coach received criticism for reportedly crushing opponents by a combined 33-0 margin in four matches, groups that were “asked to use players aged 16-21.”

Fenwick’s preferred lineup is difficult to predict as this is his first match in charge, although the Englishman is known to favor a 4-3-3. He’s described himself as “very flexible tactically“ and prone to “change formations during matches.” The manager will “tailor [his] plans to [the players’] strengths to bring quick success.” Going up against a regional power, Trinidad will likely play the best players to build chemistry in advance of qualifying.

Trinidad has two veteran goalkeepers competing for the number one role. Likely starter Marvin Phillip was with NEROCA F.C. in the I-League and has earned 80 caps with the national team. The 36-year-old played in Trinidad’s most recent match and started all four fixtures at the 2019 Nations League. His competition is Adrian Foncette, a 32-year-old currently with Police FC. American fans should remember the SUNY Albany graduate from his performance in the infamous 2018 World Cup qualifying match that saw the USMNT eliminated from contention.

Charleston Battery defender Leland Archer might make his debut at center back. The 25-year-old has been a regular for the USL Championship side. His partner could be Josiah Trimmingham, a 24-year-old ball-winning defender with Forward Madison FC that is dangerous on set pieces. Alternate options include Jamal Jack, Neveal Hackshaw, and Michael DeShields.

Confident in possession when accurately drilling long passes, Alvin Jones is an automatic selection at right-back. He was a key player in 2019 at the Nations League and Gold Cup. The left-back position appears open, but Noah Powder looks ready to stake his claim. The 22-year-old recently signed a deal with Real Salt Lake for the upcoming 2021 season.

Holding midfielder Andre Fortune has earned two caps with T&T, but he could be a key player during qualifying. He has already made 80 appearances at the club level with the Rochester Rhinos and North Carolina FC. His partner should be Jonathan Jiménez, a Florida native set to make his international debut. Michel Poon-Angeron, under contract with Club Banfield, could receive playing time. The 19-year-old turned heads at domestic camp and was retained for the friendly.

There are some interesting options available at attacking midfielder. Domestically based Hashim Arcia has 11 caps and performed well in recent friendlies. The 32-year-old pushes forward into the box, providing an additional scoring threat and finishing crosses. Both Matthew Woo Ling and Jabari Mitchell are inexperienced but pushing for a role in the program.

The winger position is perhaps the strongest part of this group. Ryan Telfer has earned six caps for Trinidad, scoring three goals. The York United attacker was a key player during the failed Nations League campaign. His wide partner could be Duane Muckette of Memphis 901, a sharp passer who is constantly working without the ball to find open space.

The striker position is a toss-up, but Brent Sam was prolific during Trinidad’s December camp. The Defence Force attacker scored six goals in four matches against the overmatched opponents. At 24, the trudging 6’3” attacker is capable of playing on the wing but at his best when receiving the ball deep in the final third.

The United States should run through this mismatched Trinidad side. The Soca Warriors have not played an official match in over a year due to the COVID pandemic and a seven-week FIFA suspension blocking out two international windows. Fenwick confessed he has yet to see his American-based call-ups on the training ground and noted his opponent’s “renowned, top, excellent players in their side,“ such as Jozy Altidore and Chris Mueller. The manager shared the federation is “taking a big gamble,” and the friendly is “a big step forward, maybe too early.” Once the dam bursts with a single goal, expect more to follow in rapid succession.

The match is scheduled for Sunday at 7:00 p.m. Eastern, 4:00 p.m. Pacific. Viewing options include FOX Sports 1, TUDN, UniMás, and Fubo TV (free trial).

« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 05:11:00 PM by Flex »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: March 01, 2021, 11:42:59 PM »
The FIFA man of choice   ;)

Hopefully the knowledge (biased good applicable to our seemingly unique situation - recent ban not withstanding - or not) will be shared. So all clubs have an even playing field.   ??? ???

Sancho selected for inaugural FIFA diploma.
By Joel Bailey (T&T Newsday).

FORMER Trinidad and Tobago men's football team defender and ex-Minister of Sport and Youth Affairs, Brent Sancho, has been selected as a successful candidate by FIFA, the world's football governing body, for the inaugural FIFA diploma in club management.

According to a FIFA media release, “The FIFA diploma in club management aims to provide club executives from all around the world with the latest practical know-how and insights from the industry, covering key areas in the successful management of football clubs.

"Bringing together a variety of globally in­fluential voices to analyse and share best practice, this unique and exclusive programme will focus on the latest trends in relation to club operations and stadium management, finance, marketing and communications, sporting and youth academies, governance and legal matters, as well as leadership and negotiation.

“A world-class faculty of industry executives and professionals who are experts in their respective fields and sectors. Also, the course will draw on the knowledge of leading international academics in sport and football management to round out a comprehensive curriculum providing participants with a 360-degree view of club management.”

The first edition of the programme will run from March 2021 to January 2022. The diploma directors are Ornella Desirée Bellia, FIFA head of professional football and Maheta Molango, former CEO of Spanish club Real Mallorca. The programme will consist of a combination of online and on-site modules (subject to developments in the pandemic).

Sancho came through a final interview process from a shortlist of 40 applicants, eventually finishing among the selected 24 individuals from across the globe.

In an interview on the TT Football Association (TTFA) social media page, Sancho said, "I am extremely honoured to be selected for this programme. It is an exciting opportunity to broaden the overall knowledge and understanding of what is required for professional club football management which is something that can only auger well for our domestic football in T&T. It is my intention to ensure that our football benefits from such a programme and my involvement as a member,”

Sancho is a former UK, Finland and US-based professional, the owner of TT Pro League team Central FC and acting chairman of the TT Pro League. In May 2020, Sancho was announced by Concacaf as a member of a Caribbean Professional League Working Group, which has the support of the global governing body FIFA.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 02:21:53 AM by Flex »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 02, 2021, 03:38:26 AM »
Congratulations to Sancho. In my view, there would be an issue if he had been made aware of an opportunity and others were not. However, this opportunity was advertised in early November on multiple platforms (including Twitter and FIFA's website) and there was an open call for club executive candidates. There was a two month window before the deadline closed.

Also, in the context of regional football, regardless of the Pro League's deficiencies, it is  ostensibly professional and has professional ambitions and that adds to a mix of compelling factors that would support his candidacy.

On first glance, the 24 participant cap seems modest for a body involved globally but they may also duplicate this in another language. 

Political undertone aside, Sancho's credentials standing alone render him a compelling candidate. Central has had regional success. He is a former MoS, former WC player.

As far as who recommended him? A recommendation from a club official (from the club of affiliation) was required and he couldn't have recommended himself. So ... apparently no harm, no foul.

These are recurring opportunities that are periodically repackaged and rebranded.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 07:27:02 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 02, 2021, 09:29:28 AM »
 :beermug:

Why 24 seeker, in these days where 10 of thousands university students are doing course from economics to engineering, from exercise science and dry land swim training, from hospitality and tourism to political science, all online ? Is this more directly interactive than those, how so ? Isn’t it unusual that no other local candidates applied ? Especially members of the normalization committee, whom it was commented on ‘don’t really know much about football administration’.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 09:32:45 AM by maxg »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 02, 2021, 09:53:34 AM »
:beermug:

Why 24 seeker, in these days where 10 of thousands university students are doing course from economics to engineering, from exercise science and dry land swim training, from hospitality and tourism to political science, all online ? Is this more directly interactive than those, how so ? Isn’t it unusual that no other local candidates applied ? Especially members of the normalization committee, whom it was commented on ‘don’t really know much about football administration’.

As far as the numbers, there's no doubt that capacity can be more extensive, especially with online platforms. However, FIFA has a thread of exclusivity to its activities and no intention of solving all the world's club management ills in one shot. It's not like they are trying to make money off this by expanding access. The course costs $US 3K. That $72K is small change that wouldn't captivate the attention of a Panamanian banker.

Unless Hadad wishes to set up Ice Cream FC, he would just be occupying a spot that should be someone else's. The diploma, in my view, is not an appropriate venue for NC personnel.

Whether anyone else applied is an open question. Don't overlook the price tag. We usually like incoming, not outgoing.

Another factor influencing a '24' is having to dedicate personnel to shepherd the process. A greater number adds management challenges.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 09:59:04 AM by asylumseeker »

1]; } ?>