March 28, 2024, 09:20:47 AM

Author Topic: Cordell Cato Thread  (Read 23729 times)

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Cordell Cato Thread
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2017, 09:45:39 AM »
This man is going to be key to our campaign. He has all of the attributes to be one of the best players on our national team. He continues to improve bit by bit. I think this is the year that he makes his mark. . for club and country.

He'll be remembered this year for sure..... :whistling:

I still say we missed him these last 2 games.  Is too bad he lost focus and had to be disciplined.
I would say I missed the potentiality, but Nathan Lewis did a fine job. I do think Cato is capable of more, but it doesn't come to the fore. Maybe he is just Ntl team unlucky, as far as getting that killer game in.
nb: this opinion is just based on the games I have seen. Not worried about that discipline error doh, unless he is made to feel offended. Hope he still in the mix and can challenge Lewis (and Hector) for the spot.

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2017, 11:58:18 AM »
This man is going to be key to our campaign. He has all of the attributes to be one of the best players on our national team. He continues to improve bit by bit. I think this is the year that he makes his mark. . for club and country.

I still say we missed him these last 2 games.  Is too bad he lost focus and had to be disciplined.
I would say I missed the potentiality, but Nathan Lewis did a fine job. I do think Cato is capable of more, but it doesn't come to the fore. Maybe he is just Ntl team unlucky, as far as getting that killer game in.
nb: this opinion is just based on the games I have seen. Not worried about that discipline error doh, unless he is made to feel offended. Hope he still in the mix and can challenge Lewis (and Hector) for the spot.

I would hope not!

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2017, 12:21:43 AM »

I would hope not!
nothing against cato but Lewis in my estimation is much better going forward with better touches better vision better decision maker, but cato might be a better defensive player......might. thank you cordell for bringing your lady to practice now we got to see what another winger had to offer and lewis reminds me very much of keron cummings.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 12:34:16 AM by pull stones »

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2017, 09:38:58 AM »
This is the beauty of sport, when one door closes another one opens. If Cato was compliant we probably would have never seen Lewis for any significant game time over the last 2 games. Now i didn't think he was a standout, but for me we know that we have yet another option in that wide position we can call on. He is not a young fella, I think 26 or 27 but if he can keep his form he can be productive over the next 3-4 years.

Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2017, 09:49:35 AM »
This is the beauty of sport, when one door closes another one opens. If Cato was compliant we probably would have never seen Lewis for any significant game time over the last 2 games. Now i didn't think he was a standout, but for me we know that we have yet another option in that wide position we can call on. He is not a young fella, I think 26 or 27 but if he can keep his form he can be productive over the next 3-4 years.

Same for me.  He wasn't great in Colorado but he was better in CR so it's a mixed bag.  What I do know is that with Cato on the field in CO molino would have had less to do defensively and quite possibly been more available as an outlet to KJ on some of those possessions where he was on a deserted island.  For me Cato offers more, maybe in time we'll see more from Lewis and be able to properly compare them.  Right now comparing them would be premature in my eyes.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2017, 10:54:37 AM »

Same for me.  He wasn't great in Colorado but he was better in CR so it's a mixed bag.  What I do know is that with Cato on the field in CO molino would have had less to do defensively and quite possibly been more available as an outlet to KJ on some of those possessions where he was on a deserted island.  For me Cato offers more, maybe in time we'll see more from Lewis and be able to properly compare them.  Right now comparing them would be premature in my eyes.
:beermug:

Offline andremartinsc

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2018, 06:25:11 AM »
You guys have any idea where he is going to play this year?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2018, 07:45:55 AM »
Former San Jose Earthquakes midfielder Cordell Cato is on trial with the LA Galaxy. He came on as a substitute yesterday in the 62nd minute of the Galaxy’s 3-1 win over Fresno FC in a pre-season friendly.

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2018, 10:11:30 AM »
At this stage ah de dance, Cato shouldn't be "on trial" anywhere. He should be signing on reputation.

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2018, 09:17:41 AM »
At this stage ah de dance, Cato shouldn't be "on trial" anywhere. He should be signing on reputation.

100% agreed!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2018, 07:48:24 PM »
Right now, all Trini ballers on survival mode. Those with reputation advanced in age. So is trial time.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2018, 11:27:57 PM »
Right now, all Trini ballers on survival mode. Those with reputation advanced in age. So is trial time.

Correct.

We are back to pre Yorke, Latapy days.

And I talking about when they were playing U12 football with Lara for T&T

These days, the reputation of our players with reputable foreign clubs, generally lower than the white line in the road.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 11:35:19 PM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Cato joins Charlotte Independence
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2018, 12:55:54 PM »
Trinidad and Tobago International, MLS veteran Cordell Cato joins Charlotte Independence
By James Thomas (charlotteindependence.com)

On Friday, the Charlotte Independence, a United Soccer League (USL) professional soccer team announced the signing of midfielder Cordell Cato, pending league and federation approval. The 25-year-old becomes the second Trinidad and Tobago International player signed to the 2018 roster joining teammate Kevan George. Over the past five season, Cato has played for Major League Soccer (MLS) side San Jose Earthquakes.

“To get a player with so much experience in the MLS is fantastic,” said Independence Head Coach Mike Jeffries. “We're trying to bring in a mix of guys, and he's somebody that's in the prime of his career and offers us a high-level of play and is a guy that has the ability to take on players one-v-one. I think it's a fantastic signing for us and a guy we're really excited to have here.”

Cato began his professional career in 2009, signing with top division, Trinidad and Tobago side San Juan Jabloteh. As a 19-year-old, Cato made his MLS debut with the Seattle Sounders during the 2012 season. The following season, his rights were acquired via trade by the San Jose Earthquakes where he would log 6,950 minutes in 111 games, scoring seven goals with 10 assists in five seasons. 

“I feel like my experience helps me relate to the older guys, as well as the younger guys,” said Cato. “I'm still learning, but at the same time, I can pass on information and knowledge I've gained in the MLS over the last six years.”

Since 2014, Cato has made 20 appearances for the Trinidad and Tobago National Team. During the 2018 FIFA World Cup CONCACAF qualification, Cato made starts in “The Hex” versus Costa Rica, Honduras, Panama and Mexico. The Carenage, Trinidad and Tobago native has two goals for the Soca Warriors including a 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup score versus Guatemala in front of a crowd of 54,126 at Soldier Field in Chicago, Illinois. 

Cato joins a lengthy list of Independence signings with international backgrounds such as South Korean Jungsoo Lee, Swiss native Kay Voser, Cameroonian Calvin Doum, and Liberian international Joel Johnson.

“I think it's fantastic for us this off-season to bring in different cultures and look to integrate them into how we play,” said Jeffries. “I think it speaks a lot about the city, community, and the direction we want to go in as an organization. Those types of players are finding Charlotte a desirable place to be and to play.”

For Cato, his arrival in Charlotte marks his first visit to the city noting novelty as an importance in his decision to sign with a club. He credits Trinidad and Tobago teammate Kevan George for persuading his choice, as well.

“Joining Charlotte had a lot to do with Kevan and him being here,” said Cato. “We were always talking and I was back home with my family and we were talking about the possibilities of where I'm going to go next. We just started talking and [Kevan] talked to Mike, Mike [Jeffries] reached out to me, and it was pretty simple from there.”

Charlotte Independence, a United Soccer League professional soccer team, will kick off the 2018 season at the Sportsplex at Matthews on Saturday, March 17th when the Independence hosts Ottawa Fury FC. Single-game tickets are now available. For details on the upcoming schedule and Season Memberships visit charlotteindependence.com or call 704-206-1515.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2018, 08:11:09 AM »
WATCH: Cordell Cato nets a brace on his debut for Charlotte Independence in their 4-1 win over Ottawa Fury.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/SvPn_CiLBPE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/SvPn_CiLBPE</a>
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 08:41:14 AM by Tallman »

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2018, 10:15:52 PM »
Was that Cato who scored the 2nd goal? It looks like him.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2018, 05:01:52 AM »

Yes, de commentators just call de wrong name.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2018, 12:14:22 PM »
Yes, de commentators just call de wrong name.
I almost went to this game too...Cato looking fit, that was pure pace and determination for the 2nd goal.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Cato named to USL Team of the Week
« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2018, 12:40:18 PM »
Cato named to USL Team of the Week
By James Thomas (charlotteindependence.com)

Charlotte Independence, and Trinidad & Tobago international midfielder Cordell Cato earned USL Team of the Week Honors behind a two-goal performance in a 4-1 victory over Ottawa Fury FC. Saturday night's, Season Opening win marked the USL debut for Cato.

The 25-year-old has made 20 appearances for the Trinidad & Tobago National Team in addition to six seasons, with over 100 games played in the MLS. During the 2018 FIFA World Cup CONCACAF qualification, Cato made starts in “The Hex” versus Costa Rica, Honduras, Panama and Mexico. Cato has two goals for the Soca Warriors including a 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup score versus Guatemala in front of a crowd of 54,126 at Soldier Field in Chicago, Illinois.

Swope Park Rangers forward Kharlton Belmar has been voted the USL Player of the Week for Week 1 of the 2018 season. Belmar scored two goals and recorded two assists, including the game-winner in stoppage time, as the Rangers took a 4-3 victory against Reno 1868 FC on Saturday afternoon at Greater Nevada Field.

Belmar received 88 percent of the poll conducted by a national panel of independent media representing every USL market. Charlotte Independence midfielder Cordell Cato finished second with eight percent and New York Red Bulls II midfielder Andrew Tinari third with four percent.

USL Team of the Week

GK – Jake Fenlason, Saint Louis FC: Fenlason recorded four saves to help Saint Louis claim a point on the road in its opening game of the season against Rio Grande Valley FC.

D – Paco Craig, Louisville City FC: Craig made four tackles, four interceptions and eight clearances to lead Louisville to a shutout victory against Nashville SC.

D – Dekel Keinan, FC Cincinnati: Keinan notched 11 clearances and won five of eight duels as he played a key role in FCC’s 1-0 road victory against the Charleston Battery.

D – Taylor Hunter, Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC: Hunter won five of six duels, completed 85.7 percent of 28 passes and registered seven clearances as the Switchbacks held the LA Galaxy II to only one shot on goal.

M – Nick Hinds, Seattle Sounders FC 2: Hinds capped his professional debut with the game-winning goal in S2’s 2-1 victory against the Portland Timbers 2 and also won two tackles and five of eight duels in the midfield.

M – Cordell Cato, Charlotte Independence: Cato scored the opening two goals as the Independence romped to a 4-1 victory against Ottawa Fury FC in their home opener.

M – Andrew Tinari, New York Red Bulls II: Tinari scored twice and recorded five key passes as the Red Bulls II rallied to take a 2-1 victory against Toronto FC II.

M – Jack Blake, Tampa Bay Rowdies: Blake completed 35 of 45 passes, registered two tackles and two clearances and capped the Rowdies’ 3-1 win against North Carolina FC with a fine long-range goal.

F – Brandon Allen, Bethlehem Steel FC: Allen notched a pair of goals in his debut for Steel FC as the hosts pulled away for a 4-1 victory against the Richmond Kickers.

F – Matt Thomas, Las Vegas Lights FC: Thomas’ goal after 70 seconds set a record for the opening goal in a USL expansion club’s history and paved the way for a 3-2 road win against Fresno FC.

F – Kharlton Belmar, Swope Park Rangers: Belmar had two goals and two assists, including the stoppage-time game-winner, as the Rangers took a 4-3 victory on the road against Reno 1868 FC.

Bench: Cody Mizell (TBR), Francis Atuahene (OKC), Niall McCabe (LOU), Carlos Alvarez (LV), Solomon Asante (PHX), Hadji Barry (SPR), Villyan Bijev (SAC)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2018, 08:56:21 PM »
WATCH: Cordell Cato turns at the top of the penalty area and rifles a shot into the roof of the net to open the scoring in Charlotte Independence’s 4-1 win over FC Cincinnati.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/vllUrcOU8VI?start=16" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/vllUrcOU8VI?start=16</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 29, 2018, 01:50:15 PM »
WATCH: Cordell Cato bags a brace and assist in Charlotte Independence’s 3-1 win over Richmond Kickers

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/GLagWp7GSOY?start=84" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/GLagWp7GSOY?start=84</a>

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #80 on: May 30, 2018, 02:07:22 PM »
Cato need to find this form for Trinidad in bigger matches. I see him do a lot of the hard work and then he seems to lose conviction when in the finishing zone when he plays against bigger concacaf opponents. He's an excellent player. Still has loads of potential. I can only hope that he continues this form, gets that constant goal scoring in his blood heads back up to the MLS or elsewhere and goes where he should. He has so much pace and at times his touch is actually really clever. He could be a goal fiend if he just got his head on in the right way. I've been a particular fan of his for a while.

Come on Cordell, you're a champ keep at it.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 09, 2018, 08:53:07 PM »
WATCH: Cordell Cato scores the opening goal in Charlotte Independence’s 4-2 loss to New York Red Bulls II

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/DMB7kCIHLXM?start=7" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/DMB7kCIHLXM?start=7</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2018, 08:40:18 AM »
WATCH: Cordell Cato scores the equalizer in Charlotte Independence’s 1-1 draw with Richmond Kickers.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/1eDt4_2FgW8?start=45" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/1eDt4_2FgW8?start=45</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 28, 2018, 01:12:02 AM »
WATCH: Midfielder Cordell Cato scores his eighth goal of the season in Charlotte Independence’s 2-2 draw with Tampa Bay Rowdies. He also recorded an assist.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/qtr5EvbG11A?start=45" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/qtr5EvbG11A?start=45</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Energy FC sign Trinidad and Tobago star, MLS veteran Cordell Cato
« Reply #84 on: January 09, 2019, 01:55:08 PM »
Energy FC sign Trinidad and Tobago star, MLS veteran Cordell Cato
By Tyler Vaughn (energyfc.com)

Energy FC have signed forward Cordell Cato, Head Coach Steve Cooke announced today. Cato joins the club after spending 2018 with the Charlotte Independence, where he made 24 appearances, scoring eight goals and providing four assists.

Prior to joining Charlotte Independence, Cato made 135 appearances over five seasons in Major League Soccer with Seattle Sounders FC in 2012 and the San Jose Earthquakes from 2013-2017. During the 2014 season, he and Energy FC defender Atiba Harris were teammates.

In addition to playing in the top flight in the United States, Cato has featured for the Trinidad and Tobago national team on 27 occasions, scoring two goals and helping the Soca Warriors advance to the quarterfinals of the 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup. He also made starts against Costa Rica, Honduras, Panama and Mexico during 2018 FIFA World Cup CONCACAF qualification in “The Hex”.

“Cordell is another player with significant MLS experience,” said Cooke. “I think it’s important to note that he’s been in some pretty good teams and over the years has played with some really good players. Cordell, in terms of an attacking sense, has great quality and has a real eye for getting behind defenders and going at players 1-v-1. He’s an exciting threat going forward, and I think he’s also a real big goal threat. We can’t wait to see what Cordell can bring. We think he can be one of the most exciting players in USL this season.”

Energy FC begin the 2019 season on the road against expansion club El Paso Locomotive FC Saturday, March 9. The first home match will be against Las Vegas Lights FC Saturday, March 16 at Taft Stadium.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 09, 2019, 04:03:13 PM »
Damn!

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2019, 06:42:44 AM »
All we players going down a level except Greg and he cant make T&T team....

Dennis real good.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2019, 07:30:19 AM »

Dennis real good.

Both teams in the same league.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2019, 08:34:36 AM »

Dennis real good.

Both teams in the same league.

In case you missed it, Greg has moved to Orlando City in the MLS.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 10, 2019, 08:30:29 AM »
WATCH: Cordell Cato rounds off the scoring in Oklahoma City Energy FC's 3-1 win over El Paso Locomotive FC.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/C79n3V3Po8Y?start=133" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/C79n3V3Po8Y?start=133</a>

1]; } ?>