March 29, 2024, 04:28:20 AM

Author Topic: Bledman under pressure  (Read 2044 times)

Offline fLaSh

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Bledman under pressure
« on: January 27, 2012, 01:52:49 AM »
Bledman under pressure
Ministry help next week, says Creed
By Kwame Laurence kwame.laurence@trinidadexpress.com
Story Created: Jan 25, 2012 ECT
Story Updated: Jan 25, 2012 at 3:26 PM ECT

The third fastest Trinidad and Tobago sprinter in history is facing serious financial challenges as he prepares for the July 27-August 4 Olympic Games, in London, England.

Keston Bledman, who jumped to number three on the all-time T&T men's 100 metres performance list with a 9.93 seconds scorcher last June, has not yet received his elite athlete funding cheque.

The Florida-based athlete told the Express, yesterday, that in addition to rent, he needs money to pay for massages and purchase vitamins.

"By next week or so, I would have to come home," a dejected Bledman explained.

But Ashwin Creed, Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Sport, has promised that Bledman will receive a $200,000 cheque very soon.

"We're dealing with the applications as they come in," the PS explained. "Bledman will get his funding in the next release of funds, at the end of next week."

Bledman enjoyed a successful 2011 campaign. The highpoint came in mid-July, at the Central American and Caribbean (CAC) Championships, in Mayaguez, Puerto Rico, where he struck gold in the 100m dash in 10.05 seconds.

In late August, at the World Championships in Daegu, Korea, Bledman missed out on a lane in the final by the narrowest of margins--less than one-hundredth of a second.

The 23-year-old sprinter was fifth in the first of three semi-final heats, in 10.14 seconds. Antiguan Daniel Bailey finished fourth in that heat, also in 10.14, qualifying for the championship race as the second of two "fastest losers".

Bledman said he is aware that fellow T&T sprinters Emmanuel Callender, Marc Burns and Aaron Armstrong have received funding.

"The only person I expected to get (funding) before me was (Rondel) Sorrillo, because he reached the 200 final at Worlds."

But Bledman, who started his Olympic preparations in November, said he is not begrudging his fellow sprinters. The 2008 Olympic Games 4x100m silver medallist just wants to be well-equipped for the London 2012 challenge.

"We have to put in to put out, and without the funding we cannot perform to the best of our ability."
Bledman called off his 2011 campaign after the World Championships. He skipped the Pan American Games, which were staged in Guadalajara, Mexico in October, opting instead to get some much needed rest.

"By that time I was very tired, so I could not go to Pan Am. Plus, I had a small calf injury, which I did not want to risk at Pam Am because of the Olympics this year."

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
Re: Bledman under pressure
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 10:10:51 PM »
Hurts my heart when 20 years after I started this STUPIDNESS is still going on
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 10:22:29 AM »
Our biggest impediment is not lack of talent. It is lack of organization.  With our financial resources and talent, we should be the best, but we lack the collective will, discipline and organization.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 08:23:23 PM »
Our biggest impediment is not lack of talent. It is lack of organization.  With our financial resources and talent, we should be the best, but we lack the collective will, discipline and organization.

w/one notable exception
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 06:22:35 PM »
Bledman just ran a solid race at the Millrose Games. Start was not good. Crept up in the last 30 m to win in 6.62. Puts him at #15 on the top list. 

Offline keelz

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 04:25:04 PM »

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 11:05:50 AM »
Cricket seems to be fairly well organized,I think you can even go further and describe it as good organization judging by what the TT cricket team has achieved so far.They must be doing a few things right.

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 11:11:35 AM »
Cricket seems to be fairly well organized,I think you can even go further and describe it as good organization judging by what the TT cricket team has achieved so far.They must be doing a few things right.

Wrong place breds
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

1]; } ?>