March 28, 2024, 06:03:48 AM

Author Topic: Mekeil Williams Thread  (Read 42621 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Colorado Rapids sign Trinidad and Tobago international defender Mekeil Williams
« Reply #90 on: February 04, 2016, 01:18:17 PM »
Colorado Rapids sign Trinidad and Tobago international defender Mekeil Williams
Colorado Rapids Media Relation
s

Colorado Rapids announced today that the club has signed 25-year-old defender Mekeil Williams from Guatemalan side Antigua GFC. Williams will be added to the roster pending his medical and upon receipt of his International Transfer Certificate (ITC) and his P1 Visa.

“Mekeil is a player we have been tracking since Trinidad and Tobago’s successful run in the Gold Cup last year,” said Paul Bravo, Technical Director and VP of Soccer Operations. “So, when there was an opportunity, we decided to execute a permanent transfer with his club.

“Mekeil is starting to establish himself at international level. He will bring a versatility, athleticism and strong mentality to our backline. We are delighted to welcome him to our club."

Born in Port of Spain, Williams has appeared in 20 matches across all competitions for Antigua GFC, adding one goal in 1,524 minutes.

Williams began his professional career with Ma Pau SC of the TT Pro League in 2009 prior to signing with W Connection FC in 2011. Williams then joined Polish club Pogoń Szczecin on a five-month loan, appearing in nine matches and registering one goal. In 2012, he signed with FC Fyn of Denmark, seeing action in eight matches for the club. Williams returned to W Connection in 2013 and played in the Trinidad first division until his move to Antigua GFC last summer.

At the international level, Williams has represented Trinidad and Tobago 11 times and scored his only goal in his senior debut in a 3-2 loss against Finland on January 22, 2012. Williams appeared in three matches for the Soca Warriors in last year’s CONCACAF Gold Cup, including the quarterfinal loss against Panama.

The Rapids season starts on Sunday, March 6 at 1 p.m. MT on the road against San Jose Earthquakes, with the Home Opener at Dick's Sporting Goods Park against LA Galaxy on Saturday, March 12 at 5 p.m. MT. For more information or to purchase season tickets, click HERE or call 303-825-GOAL.

Transaction: Colorado Rapids (MLS) - Rapids sign defender Mekeil Williams as a Discovery Signing from Antigua GFC

Full Name: Mekeil Williams
Height: 6' 1”
Birth Date: July 24, 1990
Birthplace: Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago
Previous Club: Antigua GFC
Twitter: @MekeilWilliams
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Re: Mekeil Williams Thread
« Reply #91 on: February 04, 2016, 01:22:20 PM »
Great news!  Congrats to Mekeil and Colorado Rapids!
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #92 on: February 04, 2016, 08:33:34 PM »
Williams began his professional career with Ma Pau SC of the TT Pro League in 2009 prior to signing with W Connection FC in 2011.
Mekeil began his career with Jabloteh.

;)

« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 09:04:45 PM by Tallman »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 05, 2016, 11:10:51 AM »
well is now self i rolling to the rapids games with a big Caribbean posse...welcome to the Mile High Mekeil!! :wavetowel:

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2016, 03:11:56 PM »
Niceness

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Mekeil 'Splash' Williams hoping to make waves with the Colorado Rapids in MLS
By Richard Clarke (ColoradoRapids.com)

Trinidad and Tobago international defender, Mekeil Williams, is looking forward to his first taste of MLS, having played soccer in Poland and Guatemala. Richard Clarke sat down with the offseason signing, and discovered that soccer was a passion from a very young age.

Tell us why you’re called Mekeil “Splash” Williams.

Splash was the nickname of my father. Some of the older guys that knew him started calling me 'Young Splash', and after a while, the name just stuck with me. I have no idea why they called him Splash but they still call me by that name.

Tell us about your football career so far.

For me, it has been awesome. It’s all been a learning experience and I think it helped to shape the player that I am today. Starting off in Trinidad, you had to learn how to be a professional and what it takes to be a professional. Moving on to Poland, I was taking it to a higher level. I’m going to continue and go from strength to strength. It’s all just been amazing.

What was it like growing up in Trinidad as a footballer?

For me, I’ve been playing soccer since I was a young kid. I would wake up in the morning and start playing in the yard by myself and the neighbors would come play and start making so much noise. One day my father took me to play in a youth league in the Savannah [Park], and I just continued from there. For me, I was told that it came naturally to me. I always loved it, I enjoyed it. I just continued going from strength to strength to the school’s league and then professionally. For me, it just came naturally.

When you were younger playing with your friends who did you pretend to be? Which player?

I liked Ronaldinho a lot. I don’t know why really. For me, he was just different class. He would stand out among his peers so easily. He was just amazing and I always liked him.

How much pride do you have in playing for your country’s national team?

For a long while, I’ve been looking forward to getting into the team and to try and establish myself and become a starter. As a young kid growing up, that was one of the goals that I had set for myself; to be a national player and to continue to do that.

What was your first reaction when you heard the Rapids were interested in you?

To be honest, I was really excited because I’ve been looking forward to coming to MLS. It happened so suddenly and caught me off guard, but all in all, I was excited. I’m looking forward to it.

How has preseason been for you?

Preseason has been great. The team has been doing well. We’ve been working on pressing when we lose the ball to recover the ball. We’ll clean up when we have the ball and are playing and being confident. The intensity and everything has been great.

How does your size help your ability to play as a fullback?

Most wingers are small and crafty so sometimes I have the edge on them when it comes to strength and height or winning the ball out of the air over them. It’s an advantage for me sometimes.

Do you see yourself as an offensive left back or a defensive left back?

I would see myself as a more defensive left back, but at times I do get forward. I get forward sometimes in attack.

Have you got targets for this season?

Definitely. I think each player needs to set targets for themselves. Being a newcomer to the league, I would like to see myself as a starter getting a couple of games in, and just try to establish myself as a good player.

How much did you know about MLS before you came?

I watched the league. I have a couple of friends who have been playing in the league before so I’ve been following the league. I see a lot of top players coming to the league right now. So I’ve been interested in the league and I’ve been following it.

Are you good friends with (Seattle's) Joevin Jones?

Yeah, definitely.

What did he and your other friends in the league say when you told them you were coming to MLS?

They were excited for me. They’ve been telling me to come over. We knew it was going to be fun to play against each other again. I’ve played with Joevin at W Connection and the national team. I’ve played against (San Jose's) Cordell Cato, so it’s just really fun for us and he was excited also and looking forward to it. I’ve played with [Kevin] Molino (Orlando City SC). The first contract I signed in a league, we signed together with Ma Pau. So we started off together playing as young kids and just continued to grow in the game and ourselves. For me and for them, it was exciting for me to get over here.

Have you had a chance to settle in Denver yet?

I’ve been to Denver for like two or three days. I haven’t really settled in and seen much, but I’m looking forward to settling in as soon as possible.

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 10, 2016, 06:19:25 PM »
Splash oui lol...i like that nickname...i really need to buy some tix to see the rapids this season, the team have a buzz around them this year jed

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 13, 2016, 09:33:34 PM »
Rapids beat Galaxy yesterday by a last minute goal scored by #10 Pappa...Splash play on the right (much to my surprise) and he was solid but you could see he is a left footer...he did split two men late in the game, the crowd bawl oui lol

Offline Dutty Love

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 14, 2016, 06:42:09 AM »
Mekeil is naturally right footed. Watch when he takes penalties :)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Mekeil Williams named to MLS Team of the Week
« Reply #100 on: March 15, 2016, 09:08:51 AM »

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 15, 2016, 10:46:57 AM »
nice

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 15, 2016, 11:46:15 AM »
Wow! Wasn't expecting that!  :applause:
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 15, 2016, 11:52:14 AM »
Well done Mekeil! Off to a terrific start.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 15, 2016, 03:02:28 PM »
Well done Mekeil! Off to a terrific start.

Ditto. Ent. :applause:

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Rapids defender Mekeil Williams stuck in Trinidad and Tobago with visa issue
« Reply #105 on: April 07, 2016, 11:51:37 AM »
Rapids defender Mekeil Williams stuck in Trinidad and Tobago with visa issue
By Daniel Boniface (The Denver Post)

The Colorado Rapids are without defender Mekeil Williams who remained in Trinidad and Tobago after last week's World Cup qualifying match due to a visa issue.

"We're still trying to figure out his visa issues," Rapids coach Pablo Mastroeni said Thursday.

The Rapids said there was a small administrative delay in getting Williams' P1 visa.

Williams was called up to Trinidad and Tobago's national team during the March 21-29 FIFA window. Williams played 90 minutes as a midfielder in a 6-0 win over St. Vincent and the Grenadines on March 29 in Port of Spain, Trinidad.

The 6-foot-1, 180-pound defender missed the Rapids April 2 game against Toronto FC.

If Williams is unavailable Saturday against Real Salt Lake, Colorado would only have four healthy defenders in uniform — Axel Sjoberg, Bobby Burling, Eric Miller and Marc Burch. Jared Watts (hamstring), Marlon Hairston (hamstring) and Sean St. Ledger (knee) are not expected to be available.

Williams was named on the MLS team of the week in Week 2 after a strong defensive performance in his Rapids debut against Los Angeles Galaxy.

Williams has appeared in two games for Colorado, playing the full 90 minutes in each. It was not clear when he would rejoin the club.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 07, 2016, 11:53:01 AM »
Ah was wondering how come he didn't make the team sheet for the Toronto game.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 07, 2016, 12:41:53 PM »
This happens too frequently not to be critical of the personnel that handle these procedures.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 07, 2016, 01:45:20 PM »
MLS bosses are finding out who the best footballers are in the Caribbean,very soon more than half of our squad will be out deh,long may it continue,some will eventually come to Europe.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 08, 2016, 05:03:48 AM »
Rapids defender Mekeil Williams waiting for P1 visa to arrive in mail in Trinidad.
By Daniel Boniface (The Denver Post).

Colorado Rapids defender experiences delay getting P1 visa

COMMERCE CITY — The Colorado Rapids are without defender Mekeil Williams, who remained in Trinidad and Tobago after last week's World Cup qualifying match because of a small administrative delay with his work visa.

"We're still trying to figure out his visa issues," Rapids coach Pablo Mastroeni said Thursday.

Inshan "Flex" Mohammed, who runs Trinidad soccer website socawarriors.net, told the Denver Post on Thursday that Williams' P1 visa was approved, but he was waiting for it to arrive by mail. The Rapids confirmed Mohammed's report. Mohammed said mail service in Trinidad is slower than in the U.S.

Williams was called up to Trinidad and Tobago's national team during the March 21-29 FIFA window. Williams played 90 minutes in a 6-0 win over St. Vincent and the Grenadines on March 29 in Port of Spain, Trinidad.

The 6-foot-1, 180-pound defender missed the Rapids' game last Saturday against Toronto FC.

If Williams is unavailable Saturday against Real Salt Lake, Colorado would only have four healthy defenders in uniform — Axel Sjoberg, Bobby Burling, Eric Miller and Marc Burch. Jared Watts (hamstring), Marlon Hairston (hamstring) and Sean St. Ledger (knee) are not expected to be available.

Williams was named to the MLS team of the week in Week 2 after a strong defensive performance in his Rapids debut against the Los Angeles Galaxy.

Williams has appeared in two games for Colorado, playing the full 90 minutes in each.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 08, 2016, 05:37:21 AM »
Flex yuh laaarge  ;D

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 08, 2016, 06:11:12 AM »
and in charge  :beermug:
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 08, 2016, 07:44:03 AM »
Flex that was your opportunity to say "Mekeil should receive his visa soon and will be back with the Rapids in the fullness of time" :D

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #113 on: April 08, 2016, 08:28:36 AM »
Flex that was your opportunity to say "Mekeil should receive his visa soon and will be back with the Rapids in the fullness of time" :D

;D

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 09, 2016, 11:01:32 AM »
Nice to know that the problem was not caused by any football administrative problems. SWO needs now to take over TTPost  ;D

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 15, 2016, 08:49:18 AM »
Anyone knows if he got his vizay yet?

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 15, 2016, 10:07:16 AM »
I believe he was on the bench for Wednesday's game.

Edit: Just checked. He started the game on the bench and subbed on in the 69th minute.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 10:09:29 AM by Mose »

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 15, 2016, 10:22:35 AM »
I believe he was on the bench for Wednesday's game.

Edit: Just checked. He started the game on the bench and subbed on in the 69th minute.
Ok good. I didn't even know they played on Wednesday but glad it's resolved.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 15, 2016, 10:31:58 AM »
Nice to know that the problem was not caused by any football administrative problems. SWO needs now to take over TTPost  ;D

:rotfl:
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 16, 2016, 08:11:36 PM »
Where in the defense does he play ? hope it's full back, preferably right side, where we're lacking.

for us he plays lb for the rapids he plays rb...he just provided an assist for jermaine jones btw

1]; } ?>