April 23, 2024, 08:58:07 AM

Author Topic: Recognising people country of origin by looking at them.  (Read 1306 times)

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Recognising people country of origin by looking at them.
« on: February 05, 2012, 07:52:26 AM »
I was reading a conversation where a person told another that he looked like a Trini,this was said by an Indo Trini to an Afro bloke.The conversation didn't eventually say where he was from but he questioned...what does a Trini look like.I can honestly say that I have worked that out many times even before I speak to a Trini and several times people have asked me whether I am Trini although they dont hear an accent to judge.I can say that Trini Afros look different from say other Caribbean Afros,Africans and Afro Americans,maybe there is a different mix which the others dont have,whenever I see a Dougla I am almost sure that they are Trini or Guyanese.Trini Indos also look different from Indians and Guyanese Indos,what kind of a phenom is this.I was once on the train and was talking to this bloke who I recognised as actor who did many shows on TV,his name Jeffrey Kissoon when I told him I was from TT he said he thought so.

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Recognising people country of origin by looking at them.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 07:19:30 AM »
I was reading a conversation where a person told another that he looked like a Trini,this was said by an Indo Trini to an Afro bloke.The conversation didn't eventually say where he was from but he questioned...what does a Trini look like.I can honestly say that I have worked that out many times even before I speak to a Trini and several times people have asked me whether I am Trini although they dont hear an accent to judge.I can say that Trini Afros look different from say other Caribbean Afros,Africans and Afro Americans,maybe there is a different mix which the others dont have,whenever I see a Dougla I am almost sure that they are Trini or Guyanese.Trini Indos also look different from Indians and Guyanese Indos,what kind of a phenom is this.I was once on the train and was talking to this bloke who I recognised as actor who did many shows on TV,his name Jeffrey Kissoon when I told him I was from TT he said he thought so.

is we finish... you could tell a trini anywhere... de way we does move, subtle facial expressions, even style of dress
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 01:11:17 PM »
Long ago it was easier to tell...no so any more.

We used to dress different, especially older folk.

Now the young ones with the tight clothes look like any other Jakan or US youth, complete with tatoos, mohawk and big nerd glasses.

If is anything a trini would be the friendly one..., the smart man trying a scam, or the docile, mooksey one who quiet quiet in the back getting bobolee.

Also people frame does give them away....we are a nation of thin foot people, chinee aside most Trinis have thin ankles and little to no calves.

Tobago people shape up different and more muscular and stronger.

Bdos people shorter, darker and the men have a fat man finish.

Jakans generally are taller and more powerful than trinis.

But we not aggressive or assertive, in a line placing an order or talking to people Trinis whisper or mouth words to people...is like we shame for others to hear us.

Not an American or a Jakan...they are loud and vocal.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 01:41:26 PM »
It remind of when I was in Germany up in the stands in a fan zone. Now the fan zone is nationalities from all over the world mixed up in one venue.

I look over the ledge and from a distance i see 3 men standing up and just by watching them conversing for less than a minute i instantly knew it was trinis.

One of the men holding a styrofoam cup and shaking it up in a circular motion, another one kinda lounge off on a railing and the last one explaining some scene to the next two. But just from them men body language i instantly knew, when them men coulda easily be african, jamaican or brazilian just based on raw physical appearance.

A next thing, i on a bus in London a time and only hear a man laugh at the back of the bus and knew he was Trini. Still friends up to this day.

truetrini

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 01:59:17 PM »
It remind of when I was in Germany up in the stands in a fan zone. Now the fan zone is nationalities from all over the world mixed up in one venue.

I look over the ledge and from a distance i see 3 men standing up and just by watching them conversing for less than a minute i instantly knew it was trinis.

One of the men holding a styrofoam cup and shaking it up in a circular motion, another one kinda lounge off on a railing and the last one explaining some scene to the next two. But just from them men body language i instantly knew, when them men coulda easily be african, jamaican or brazilian just based on raw physical appearance.

A next thing, i on a bus in London a time and only hear a man laugh at the back of the bus and knew he was Trini. Still friends up to this day.

yuh know yuh man and dem  ;)

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 04:54:04 PM »

Long time If yuh see a man shirt tuck in in the front, and outside in the back - dais a Trini...I eh think that style cuttin' anymore though....

If yuh see a man standing at ease, except one hand gripping the elbow of the other arm, and the other hand hanging down behind his back with a beer in it...That's a Trini....Only we does stand up so in a lime. 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 05:00:50 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 05:03:12 PM »
When I was at Uni I had some friends from Africa and while in the canteen we saw a group of Afro students and I instantly recognized one to be a Trini Afro,I told my African mate what I thought.It would be a long story if I try to explain how I decided he was a Trini but it turned out he was.When we eventually got to know each other and I told him how I had worked out he was a Trini,he laughed and said he thought I was a Trini the very first time he saw me,I am Indo but dont have the typical Indo looks but he still knew.It turns out he was a big boy with the Trinidad Bus Service and offered to give me a job if I came back to TT,he was on a six month management course.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 12:40:27 PM »
Long ago it was easier to tell...no so any more.

We used to dress different, especially older folk.

Now the young ones with the tight clothes look like any other Jakan or US youth, complete with tatoos, mohawk and big nerd glasses.

If is anything a trini would be the friendly one..., the smart man trying a scam, or the docile, mooksey one who quiet quiet in the back getting bobolee.

Also people frame does give them away....we are a nation of thin foot people, chinee aside most Trinis have thin ankles and little to no calves.

Tobago people shape up different and more muscular and stronger.

Bdos people shorter, darker and the men have a fat man finish.

Jakans generally are taller and more powerful than trinis.

But we not aggressive or assertive, in a line placing an order or talking to people Trinis whisper or mouth words to people...is like we shame for others to hear us.

Not an American or a Jakan...they are loud and vocal.

that may applie back home in tt, but not in the us, canada or the uk, different mentality and movements...

1]; } ?>