April 27, 2024, 03:37:11 PM

Author Topic: Pro league blocks Roopie.  (Read 13475 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Pro league blocks Roopie.
« on: February 10, 2012, 05:08:12 PM »
Pro league blocks Roopie.
By: Inshan Mohammed.

There are rules that must be followed and despite ones professional status, there should be no exceptions whatsoever.

However in his latest move to block former Herkimer County Community College midfield starlet Michael Roopchandsingh (Mike) from being registered in the T&T leagues; Pro League Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Dexter Skeene leaves a lot to be desired in his handling of a relatively simple situation.

In a February 1st release on the Soca Warriors Online (SWO) it was reported that Mike was connected to Newburgh FC "Free" Academy club, a club that is based in the United States. Not knowing the exact details of the player status in connection with the club, I wrote the article on Mike and stated that he played for Newburgh FC.

On February 7th, a disappointed North East Stars marketing manager Kevin Harrison contacted me and advised that Mike was barred from being registered by the Pro League because it needed clearance from the last club Mike played for in the US. And rightfully so, that is the rule one has to abide by which Harrison fully understood.

This all transpired after the Pro League published the February 1st SWO released on their website, which I assume they read before publishing it.

Harrison mentioned: "We are trying to bring quality players for the national team and it’s we that prevent it from happening! You can bet the Pro League would not have queried the registration without the article."

Bear in mind, Mike's Father, Mother, former school coach and the player himself all vouched that he was never under contract with any club in the US. He only trained with clubs to keep himself fit, in other words he just played pickup games, which he is also currently doing with North East Stars in Trinidad?

Mike said: "Why would I lie and jeopardized my own career? The guy (Dexter Skeene) called me and didn't really want to hear what I had to say. He just said one thing and that was, we need clearance and I really did not understand what clearance, as he was very abrupt and he did not explain the process?

"I am currently in T&T, the clubs I played with wouldn't even understand what clearance I am talking about even if I asked them as I was never under any contract with them; and that's if they even remembered me as it was a long time ago."

"I sacrifice everything to come and play in T&T because I love it here, this is my parents’ country and I feel like I am Trini equally. I love T&T and even though my trip has had its disappointments, I am also having a great time too."

"Now I feel so discouraged and disappointed. I just want to get on with playing the sport I really love, but I also understand that there are rules to be followed and I must follow them. Now I guess I will have to leave the country and go back to the US in search of some help to clear up this matter, “ ended Mike.

In spite of Mikes current situation with the Pro League it should be noted that in September 2011, national midfielder and former captain Densill Theobald signed with India's professional club Dempo SC. However, the midfielder was not allowed to play any games for his new club until January 01st, 2012. The reason being, that he was denied clearance due to the fact that he was not under contract with Caledonia, but rather with Hungarian club Ujpest FC which he played for before returning to Caledonia.

The circumstances meant Dempo would possibly have had to pay Ujpest a transfer fee. FIFA subsequently denied a plea by Dempo to allow Theobald the necessary clearance for him to be an eligible player in the I-League.

Now here is where this matter gets interesting, Theobald joined Ujpest FC in July 2007 and left in December of that same year. Since then he was a regular member of local outfit Caledonia AIA and played with them for 3 years after his Ujpest FC expired.

What is confusing is the fact that Dempo SC needed clearance from Ujpest FC and not Caledonia AIA. This begs the question, how can Theobald have played professional football for three years in the Pro League with a club that he did not get clearance to play for?  Shouldn't he have needed clearance from Caledonia instead of Ujpest?

Furthermore, with regards to Mikes player status, in the SWO release he made it clear that he was leaving his options open and was not 100% sure about becoming a professional player as yet because he may still want to return to school.

Another baffling question that can be asked is how Mike could have played for Herkimer County Community College if he was supposedly connected to a professional team? Bear in mind too, that to this day there are still schools in the US that are willing to offer Mike athletic scholarships.

In any circumstance, Mike will just have to obey the law of the game, but what is disappointed though, is the fact that the League administration is not willing to go the extra mile to help players in Mike's situation. A phone call or an email to the club in question would have made all the difference.

I have personally helped many youths (whom I cannot disclose out of respect for the players) and Mike is just another one of those youths who I cannot deny assistance. While he is off no relations to me, I feel happy just knowing a foreigner is willing to come and commit to playing football in my country. Shouldn't we help, advise and support young players like Mike?

Welcome to T&T Mike, a place where reality is harsh and professional football seems to be all but professional.

But that's just my opinion.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 05:25:18 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Pro league blocks Roopie.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 05:49:04 PM »
Hard luck dey.  It appears to me....just me...that this may not be what he should be doing in the first place.  Wasn't this youth in college?  Granted I don't have all the facts, why he fighting up with the TT league?   
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 05:56:52 PM »
top attitude Flex

best of luck Roopie..
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 06:09:45 PM »
Flex yuh trying to logically analyze ah situation using Theobald as an example.Yuh should know better.When does dis approach work in Trinidad.If Skeene don't want him or doh like him,for whatever reason,he just have to make up ah excuse....dais all

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 08:02:46 PM »
Something around here smelling like bad mind.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 09:13:33 PM »
allyuh men being nice to skeene.

in reality its either bad mind, or worse, racism...

truetrini

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 10:02:44 PM »
I will not say bad mind or racism, I would call it anal...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 10:23:59 PM »
I will not say bad mind or racism, I would call it anal...

Nah, if it was 'anal' they woulda be that way with everybody else... plus the 'short' attitude with him and all.  I wouldn't doubt that the fact that is NE he affiliated with playing a part.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 10:39:24 PM »
I think it is unfair to compare Theobald's situation to this because no one knows the details of the contract. So while it may seem that he played for Caledonia after Ujpest it comes down to details in that contact that sent him to Upjest.
The difference with Roopie is that he is the only one who knows whether or not his status is amateur or pro and it should be easy for him to provide and verify details of the last team he played for.
I strongly suspect that he may have played some mercenary ball and that is where the issue lies.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 11:08:21 PM »
 Roopie take my stupid advice, take a good  look at  what is going on with our football right now, ask yourself questions , ask yourself if you really want to play football in T&T .

Youthman every thing happen, happen for a good ,you might not see it now but when it happen you would say it is a good thing i did not sign up in the pro league in T&T.

Remember this, things is going to change one of these days and when it happen i hope you would be ready to serve then , but as of now move on and do your thing ,don't take it on .

I would not be suprize if this have serious politics in it ,just my oponion     
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

truetrini

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 11:17:16 PM »
Roopie take my stupid advice, take a good  look at  what is going on with our football right now, ask yourself questions , ask yourself if you really want to play football in T&T .

Youthman every thing happen, happen for a good ,you might not see it now but when it happen you would say it is a good thing i did not sign up in the pro league in T&T.

Remember this, things is going to change one of these days and when it happen i hope you would be ready to serve then , but as of now move on and do your thing ,don't take it on .

Maybe the youth has no other options and maybe he needs this!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 11:26:27 PM »
I think it is unfair to compare Theobald's situation to this because no one knows the details of the contract. So while it may seem that he played for Caledonia after Ujpest it comes down to details in that contact that sent him to Upjest.
The difference with Roopie is that he is the only one who knows whether or not his status is amateur or pro and it should be easy for him to provide and verify details of the last team he played for.
I strongly suspect that he may have played some mercenary ball and that is where the issue lies.

You ent read the story or what... Theobald had a contract, true we don't know the details, but he was under contract.  Roopie never was... he just trained with clubs... not even pro teams.  You saying he alone should know his pro/amateur status.  The man flat out say he never sign a contract... therefore he's an amateur.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 04:40:26 AM »
I have 2 questions.

1. If a club wants to sign a player shouldn't de club/league take de responsibility to get the player cleared as Dempo did with Theobald.

2. Mike is only 20 and new to T&T and with no support down there, how hard is it for de league to assist de young man get cleared even if that was de case. I mean, this is football not de f00cking Army.

Skeene just blasted lazy to get off his ass and help de man, he just want to cook up he foot in he office and play pocket pool, he can't pick up de phone as de league head man and call up de club in de US and find out, no, he cant do that because Mike is not related to him, ah wonder if it was his son if he woulda move de same lame way ? He woulda be on that phone right away..

Help de young man and put yuh differences behind you. Wok for yuh money.

If Mike eh get through because of this, then as long as Skeene there, I will never go to another Pro League game EVER !!!!!

This situation is to dam small for all this bullshit to be happening.

Mke should just ride out and come back to de US and try for some club up here.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 07:51:31 AM »
Hard luck dey.  It appears to me....just me...that this may not be what he should be doing in the first place.  Wasn't this youth in college?  Granted I don't have all the facts, why he fighting up with the TT league?   

Because he have goals to be on the U23  team and ultimately the National Team.....and that includes being seen on a regular basis, as an unknown who isn't playing for a big club, isn't in the MLS, isn't with a big school, he use common sense and figure why not go where the coach is, in a league with "men" playing and if he excel, stand a better chance than his current situation playing for community college.

PLUS....you do know yuh could get ah college degree at even past 60 years old but yuh can't do the same with a professional football career....

That is more than likely why he fighting up.......

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 08:37:47 AM »

Why not encourage the fella to fight for what he want to achieve ???

There are many countries that have all kinda issues going on with their administration, but that should not diminish someone's desire to represent their country. Why would you encourage someone with that desire to represent T&T (which is why he wants to play in the pro league)to walk away and say look at what is going on.
What wrong with a player or any person saying i'm representing my country and NOT any administration ???

Someone coming with so much desire to play in the pro league, more desire than the locals that there and what you could think of doing?...Tell him he will say is ah good thing he didn't sign up for the Pro League.

How about if he sign up....everybody get to say is ah good thing he did sign up for the pro league, "he bring flair, passion, aggression, determination, energy, a different look, a new audience, etc" Why not encourage him to hang in there instead of giving up and waiting till, "thing's change one day."   It might seem odd but people outside the US (including many trinis) don't like to give up that easily yuh know. Ah think that T&T could trademark and copyright the give up and loser mentality...we national team do it all too often.

Anyway carry on....cause ah feel like ah picking on yuh when is really not just you....is ah normal kinda thinking.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2012, 08:46:46 AM »
This is very depressing.

Yes, Skeene have to follow rules, I dont blame him, but as Flex pointed out with Theobald is very interesting.

I guess Roopie have to grease somebody hands in the league to get help.

As a league they should help the kid out instead of just being so dam blunt about it.

This is why Skeene is CEO for over a decade and the league is still at a stand still.

Roopie is a player who will draw crowds in he plays his game and improve at it too.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2012, 08:53:32 AM »
Ah like how u is just take quite pot shots at Mike easy easy .What Mercenary rumor u starting now.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2012, 08:56:51 AM »
Ok, If Roopie is eligible to play NCAA, that should mean (from what I understand) that he has maintained his amateur status! So what's the problem? Is skeene such a dick?

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2012, 09:36:34 AM »
And ppl wonder why the football scene is heavily dominated the way it is . These guys ent trying to see no other segments of society getting in .
Thats why cricket is the way to go with million dollar contracts a weekly thing nowadays ,leave the people with they thing ,they not sharing .They never ask for a Ronald indo  to lite the league on fire.
But Mike them is just haters ,we will come up with a plan ,no worries.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 09:43:24 AM by Quags »

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2012, 09:43:12 AM »

You ent read the story or what... Theobald had a contract, true we don't know the details, but he was under contract.  Roopie never was... he just trained with clubs... not even pro teams.  You saying he alone should know his pro/amateur status.  The man flat out say he never sign a contract... therefore he's an amateur.

Read the line ah highlight...I think dais where the problem is....some of these clubs he may or may not have played with, can be labeled semi-pro and if he were on the roster of one of them teams then they have to release him. In his mind he might be saying well I never sign any contract so I'm still an amateur which might be true. I strongly suspect we not getting de full story,

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2012, 09:48:57 AM »
padnah me eh takin potshots....as ah say de yute have some talent and a lot of times over the summer ah man might say he needs a player like him and give him a couple hundred dollars a game .... a lot of people do that...what I'm calling into question is that if he did indeed do that what was the status of the club/s he played for as a lot of the men who run these teams declare them as semi-pro.

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2012, 09:53:06 AM »
padnah me eh takin potshots....as ah say de yute have some talent and a lot of times over the summer ah man might say he needs a player like him and give him a couple hundred dollars a game .... a lot of people do that...what I'm calling into question is that if he did indeed do that what was the status of the club/s he played for as a lot of the men who run these teams declare them as semi-pro.
Mep u just imagining this shit up lol .

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2012, 09:55:11 PM »
Just for clarity....once a club registers a player...even if he never plays....that club would be asked to release him so that he play for a new club. I have no idea at this time if that is the case with Roopie, but if he played a game for, say, Santa Rosa F.C., they would need to release him.

I also believe (I won't say I'm 100% on this) North East had to obtain release papers from St Anthonys for Daryl Trim and the same with other school players who signed for North East. I certainly do remember there were questions asked about obtaining some kind of permission or clearance to sign school players.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2012, 11:45:40 PM »
Trinimassive: all i am doing is trying to save the man from something he would regret ,plain talk bad manners . This topic came up here before ,i said straight up, if my son or any family or friend into soccer

should ask me, if he or she should sign up to play soccer for trinbago, i will tell them to think his or her decision thoroughly and i will tell them why . I see them (TTFF) destroy good people and beside  Jack and Jill  still running football in trinbago.

Not until the athletes of Trinbago is treated with respect for what they are doing for the country would i change that thought. 
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2012, 12:14:03 AM »
mike hopefully yuh get yuh trini passport faster.....

Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2012, 12:45:54 AM »
I feal sey professor "just c**t" and Professor "schupid c**t" have something to do wid this eh... Anyway  Trinidad does gave the cold shoulder to foreign players from long time nuh worry yuself roopie play yu ball wherever yu get a chance eh..

war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Debbie

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2012, 06:05:36 AM »
Not cool at all Dexter.

You denied a youth when you could have assisted him, not bend the rules, but assisted !!

Even though the rules were bend for Theobald.

If I was Roopie, I would leave T&T, to much negativity in T&T, not a good place to grow your kids anyway.

Offline 41laromain

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2012, 03:44:06 PM »
Yes there are rules every club have to follow,but my question is ROOPIE played ball in the US they call it travel soccer where they have an elite groupe of kids that goes to villages and play on weekends from ages 5-18 yrs.

In certain villages there are no under 15 clubs so you go somewhere else and play soccer in some clubs the parents have to pay the coach a salery every month you can also play up to high school then you  get a scholarship and move on to collage and playing ball for them.

The rule is and if i am wrong please correct me as you are still an amerature you cannot be paid any money or receive any gifts because that wats they consider being paid for services which is against collage rules, DEXTER the youth man tell you he is not.

With any club in NY the last thing i know about ROOPIE he was assisting the HEIKEMER COLLAGE, HE was asked to assist in coaching the collage team. DEXTER if you wanted to help the youth you could have explain to the youth exacly what you want, what release paper you are speaking about.

All ROOPIE had to do was make a phone call to his collage and the coach would have fax you a letter in no time, but when allyuh big, you big but as the saying goes you cannot keep a good man down when someone has a desire to acheive something in life as i always say the sky the limit.

This youth man as the RASTAMAN always say forward ever, backward never. As long as we have people like FLEX around we will keep pushing youths like ROOPIE and i hope it have parents who read these articles and have kids who want to acheive greatness in life do not give up on thier youths when you have men like DEXTER, JACK ,THE CORNEALS in TRINIDAD football, in the grave we will never go forward

One love youth bless   
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 06:09:53 PM by Flex »

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2012, 03:55:27 PM »
I really do hope Roopie gets to play someday for T&T and / or clubs. Really an exciting player. If Pro League / TTFF fools around getting him settled, then then US will take him very soon and then everybody will start saying "oh gorm ... a next traitor". By then too late ... again. Another missed opportunity.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline 41laromain

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Sancho & Jeffrey quit NE Stars
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2012, 05:06:27 PM »
Yo, allyuh man not easy na, , could anyone tell me what the difference between an armeture and  pro leauge, ROOPIE play travel ball, then he went on to junior collage, what release form MR DEXTER want, from the clubs he play for before he went to collage or the collage that he was playing for ?

As far as i know ROOPIE play ball when he usually come back home with the guys he grow up with, when you in collage and playing any sport you cannot be regested with any club and play, its a voilation,

Yo, if you playing travel soccer and another team giong to a tournement they invite certain quality kids they have to get thier ID and a letter from their coach and you play as a guest player i still cant understand why you invite the youth to come and try out then you giving him the run around about release paper.

MR DEXTER, ROOPIE is from NY if you wanted some more information you could have ask the youth he would have call his X-coaches and they could fax you some paperwork.

ROOPIE enjoy your stay in TNT soon you go be back in NY as my man STARLIN say, better days are comming.

FLEX big up to you, we go find another youth to link again one day, TNT football managent will get their act together, hope its not too late though.

Bless youth man and one love
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 06:13:37 PM by Flex »

1]; } ?>