April 18, 2024, 03:16:10 AM

Author Topic: Federal Judge Emails Racist Joke About Obama, Then Apologizes  (Read 13127 times)

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Federal Judge Emails Racist Joke About Obama, Then Apologizes
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2012, 08:03:46 AM »
JC - I eh see no one being apologist.

How about you just state your opinion, and let others state theirs, and stop trying to tell people how they're supposed to think. 
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2012, 01:27:44 PM »
Common allyuh enough wid the progressive horse sh!t, the joke is ah fackin racist joke! jeeezzzeeee.

the fact that the cracker judge used the black and white issue with the mother being white and the boy being black, and insert the name "barack", shows it was meant to be a racist jab @ obama! so give it ah fackin rest with the apologist diatribe already.

you racist yuh self
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2012, 03:17:42 PM »
Common allyuh enough wid the progressive horse sh!t, the joke is ah fackin racist joke! jeeezzzeeee.

the fact that the cracker judge used the black and white issue with the mother being white and the boy being black, and insert the name "barack", shows it was meant to be a racist jab @ obama! so give it ah fackin rest with the apologist diatribe already.

you racist yuh self
How so??  i'm not in ah position to abuse any race by inflicting harm on them or stand in the way of their progress, nor i'm i part of the power structure that could make or break, having the power to negatively affect thousands of lives, so how am i racist?

i think what you meant to say was that i was a bigot, or that i have bigoted views, and on that i would also have to say that you're well wrong! 

FYI, cracker is ah term used by blacks here in america to describe "racist whites", they also use words such as , pecker wood, hick, mr charlie, and "the man", so i suggest before you go around pointing fingers, you should first get your facts straight!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 03:21:00 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2012, 10:23:00 AM »
From The Root:

When 'Sorry' Isn't Enough for Racism
By: Sherrilyn A. Ifill
Posted: March 2, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Why we shouldn't accept an apology from the federal judge who sent an offensive email about Obama.

Montana judge Richard Cebull has apologized to President Obama for emailing a disgusting, racist joke at the expense of the president, the president's mother and Cebull's own dignity. If I know our high-minded, dignified president, he will accept the disgraced federal judge's apology. He should not.

For any sober, thinking person, the email in question, in which the punch line suggests that Obama's mother was both promiscuous and into bestiality, is of the kind that should warrant an immediate delete. But the decision by Cebull, the chief judge of the federal district court in Montana, to send the email to several of his "buddies," using his federal email account, bespeaks a certain recklessness reflected among those who have lost all sense of respect and decorum in their opposition to our president.

From Rep. Joe "You lie" Wilson (R-S.C.) to Gov. Jan Brewer (R-Ariz.) pointing her finger in the president's face, to embattled Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio's claim that Obama's long-form birth certificate is a fake, open displays of contempt for the president reflect a dangerous strain among public officials who feel unrestrained by decorum, protocol or even rational sense in their zeal to besmirch Obama's reputation.

This alarming rash of intemperate, racially driven expressions of incivility by prominent white leaders is dangerous because it gives license to others to regard open disrespect of the president as sanctioned and approved. Their actions not only endanger Obama but also endanger future presidents by diminishing the respect due to the office of the presidency, whoever sits in the Oval Office.

Cebull's conduct may be the most disturbing. Before becoming a federal district judge in 2001 and the chief judge in 2008, he was a federal magistrate judge for three years, presumably managing hundreds of cases over the course of his career. Although we spend most of our time focused on the power of Supreme Court justices and even justices on the federal courts of appeal, few recognize how much power federal district court judges (trial judges) and magistrate judges exercise.

Trial judges control nearly all aspects of litigation -- deciding key motions, making decisions about the admission of evidence, determining the credibility of witnesses, giving instructions to juries and deciding the outcome of cases. Most of these decisions are never appealed, giving trial judges vast, unreviewed authority over civil and criminal cases involving the lives, liberty and livelihood of thousands of people. Federal district judges are also appointed for life, and thus may exercise this authority over decades.

This context is important in understanding the potential danger when a judge of this high standing in his community demonstrates the kind of recklessness exhibited by Cebull. According to published reports, he first explained that he sent the email because he is, in his words, "not a fan of this president." He explained that he did not send the email because of its racist content; he sent the email because it is "anti-Obama."

This has now become standard parsing in the bizarro world of race populated by the slice of Obama's most feral and zealous opponents. The crudest racial remark or joke is transformed into acceptable political speech because it opposes President Obama.

Certainly one can be anti-Obama without being racist. But if your opposition to the president is cloaked in crude racial stereotypes, all of the inferences are against you. Cebull should know this.

As a federal judge and the chief judge of his district, Cebull is expected to comport with the highest ethical standards. He has, to his credit, filed a letter (pdf) asking the chief judge of the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals (of which the District of Montana is a part) to open an inquiry to determine whether his own actions constitute judicial misconduct.

Although the council may find that Cebull's behavior constitutes misconduct by fostering a "substantial and widespread lowering of public confidence in the courts," it will not impose a harsh sanction, given Cebull's "voluntary corrective action" in sending a letter of apology to the president and self-initiating the misconduct review.

But in determining whether Cebull should be subjected to a sanction, the Judicial Council of the 9th Circuit should also look to the ABA Model Code of Judicial Conduct (pdf), which sets the standards of ethical conduct for all federal and state judges. The code identifies several ways in which Cebull's conduct warrants stronger action:

*Rule 1.2 of the Model Code requires judges to behave "at all times in a manner that promotes public confidence in the independence, integrity and impartiality of the judiciary." Both Cebull's transmission of the email and his explanation for why he did so violate the standard set out in this rule.

*Rule 2.3 in the Model Code instructs that "a judge shall not in the performance of judicial duties, by words or conduct manifest bias or prejudice." The code specifically identifies "attempted humor based upon stereotypes" as an example of a "manifestation of bias." It is true that Cebull was not engaged in "judicial duties" when he sent this email, although the fact that he sent it from his federal account raises particular concerns.

*Rule 4.1 advises that "a judge ... shall not ... publicly endorse or oppose a candidate for any public office." Cebull's explanation that he is "anti-Obama" violates the rule.

The Judicial Council should also consider the fact that Cebull's conduct, which has raised questions about his impartiality, may provide grounds for his recusal from participation in a variety of cases. Cebull has said that he has "never considered himself" to be racist. But the federal statute governing the recusal of judges is focused on how a reasonable person would view the judge's conduct, not the judge's own view of himself.

Cebull's parsed logic -- arguing that although the email he sent is racist, he is not -- may be the kind of twisted logic that makes sense to a lawyer ("that depends on what the meaning of 'is' is"), but the average reasonable person is unlikely to find his argument convincing. If I were a black litigant or a woman of any race appearing before Cebull, I would have strong doubts about his fairness.

Cebull's conduct demonstrates an alarming lack of judgment and a disturbing failure to understand the power of his position. He has diminished the dignity of his office. He has also raised a credible inference of racial bias.

He deserves credit for promptly offering what appears to be a sincere and unadorned apology. But this personal apology is irrelevant to any questions legitimately raised by the larger public and, in the future, by those litigants who may appear before Cebull. They are entitled to be served by a chief judge who, in both fact and appearance, upholds the highest standards of impartiality and propriety.

Sherrilyn A. Ifill is a professor at the University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law in Baltimore and the author of On the Courthouse Lawn: Confronting the Legacy of Lynching in the 21st Century.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2012, 10:36:07 AM »

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2012, 11:47:19 AM »

you racist yuh self
How so??  i'm not in ah position to abuse any race by inflicting harm on them or stand in the way of their progress, nor i'm i part of the power structure that could make or break, having the power to negatively affect thousands of lives, so how am i racist?

i think what you meant to say was that i was a bigot, or that i have bigoted views, and on that i would also have to say that you're well wrong! 

FYI, cracker is ah term used by blacks here in america to describe "racist whites", they also use words such as , pecker wood, hick, mr charlie, and "the man", so i suggest before you go around pointing fingers, you should first get your facts straight!

flip it flop  it how you want all you want  a cracker its a racial term used  against whites .... you know like calling a black person a n1gger
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

truetrini

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2012, 11:54:40 AM »
From The Root:

Why we shouldn't accept an apology from the federal judge who sent an offensive email about Obama.

Montana judge Richard Cebull has apologized to President Obama for emailing a disgusting, racist joke at the expense of the president, the president's mother and Cebull's own dignity. If I know our high-minded, dignified president, he will accept the disgraced federal judge's apology. He should not.

For any sober, thinking person, the email in question, in which the punch line suggests that Obama's mother was both promiscuous and into bestiality, is of the kind that should warrant an immediate delete. But the decision by Cebull, the chief judge of the federal district court in Montana, to send the email to several of his "buddies," using his federal email account, bespeaks a certain recklessness reflected among those who have lost all sense of respect and decorum in their opposition to our president.

From Rep. Joe "You lie" Wilson (R-S.C.) to Gov. Jan Brewer (R-Ariz.) pointing her finger in the president's face, to embattled Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio's claim that Obama's long-form birth certificate is a fake, open displays of contempt for the president reflect a dangerous strain among public officials who feel unrestrained by decorum, protocol or even rational sense in their zeal to besmirch Obama's reputation.

This alarming rash of intemperate, racially driven expressions of incivility by prominent white leaders is dangerous because it gives license to others to regard open disrespect of the president as sanctioned and approved. Their actions not only endanger Obama but also endanger future presidents by diminishing the respect due to the office of the presidency, whoever sits in the Oval Office.

Cebull's conduct may be the most disturbing. Before becoming a federal district judge in 2001 and the chief judge in 2008, he was a federal magistrate judge for three years, presumably managing hundreds of cases over the course of his career. Although we spend most of our time focused on the power of Supreme Court justices and even justices on the federal courts of appeal, few recognize how much power federal district court judges (trial judges) and magistrate judges exercise.

Trial judges control nearly all aspects of litigation -- deciding key motions, making decisions about the admission of evidence, determining the credibility of witnesses, giving instructions to juries and deciding the outcome of cases. Most of these decisions are never appealed, giving trial judges vast, unreviewed authority over civil and criminal cases involving the lives, liberty and livelihood of thousands of people. Federal district judges are also appointed for life, and thus may exercise this authority over decades.

This context is important in understanding the potential danger when a judge of this high standing in his community demonstrates the kind of recklessness exhibited by Cebull. According to published reports, he first explained that he sent the email because he is, in his words, "not a fan of this president." He explained that he did not send the email because of its racist content; he sent the email because it is "anti-Obama."

This has now become standard parsing in the bizarro world of race populated by the slice of Obama's most feral and zealous opponents. The crudest racial remark or joke is transformed into acceptable political speech because it opposes President Obama.

Certainly one can be anti-Obama without being racist. But if your opposition to the president is cloaked in crude racial stereotypes, all of the inferences are against you. Cebull should know this.

As a federal judge and the chief judge of his district, Cebull is expected to comport with the highest ethical standards. He has, to his credit, filed a letter (pdf) asking the chief judge of the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals (of which the District of Montana is a part) to open an inquiry to determine whether his own actions constitute judicial misconduct.

Although the council may find that Cebull's behavior constitutes misconduct by fostering a "substantial and widespread lowering of public confidence in the courts," it will not impose a harsh sanction, given Cebull's "voluntary corrective action" in sending a letter of apology to the president and self-initiating the misconduct review.

But in determining whether Cebull should be subjected to a sanction, the Judicial Council of the 9th Circuit should also look to the ABA Model Code of Judicial Conduct (pdf), which sets the standards of ethical conduct for all federal and state judges. The code identifies several ways in which Cebull's conduct warrants stronger action:

*Rule 1.2 of the Model Code requires judges to behave "at all times in a manner that promotes public confidence in the independence, integrity and impartiality of the judiciary." Both Cebull's transmission of the email and his explanation for why he did so violate the standard set out in this rule.

*Rule 2.3 in the Model Code instructs that "a judge shall not in the performance of judicial duties, by words or conduct manifest bias or prejudice." The code specifically identifies "attempted humor based upon stereotypes" as an example of a "manifestation of bias." It is true that Cebull was not engaged in "judicial duties" when he sent this email, although the fact that he sent it from his federal account raises particular concerns.

*Rule 4.1 advises that "a judge ... shall not ... publicly endorse or oppose a candidate for any public office." Cebull's explanation that he is "anti-Obama" violates the rule.

The Judicial Council should also consider the fact that Cebull's conduct, which has raised questions about his impartiality, may provide grounds for his recusal from participation in a variety of cases. Cebull has said that he has "never considered himself" to be racist. But the federal statute governing the recusal of judges is focused on how a reasonable person would view the judge's conduct, not the judge's own view of himself.

Cebull's parsed logic -- arguing that although the email he sent is racist, he is not -- may be the kind of twisted logic that makes sense to a lawyer ("that depends on what the meaning of 'is' is"), but the average reasonable person is unlikely to find his argument convincing. If I were a black litigant or a woman of any race appearing before Cebull, I would have strong doubts about his fairness.

Cebull's conduct demonstrates an alarming lack of judgment and a disturbing failure to understand the power of his position. He has diminished the dignity of his office. He has also raised a credible inference of racial bias.

He deserves credit for promptly offering what appears to be a sincere and unadorned apology. But this personal apology is irrelevant to any questions legitimately raised by the larger public and, in the future, by those litigants who may appear before Cebull. They are entitled to be served by a chief judge who, in both fact and appearance, upholds the highest standards of impartiality and propriety.

Sherrilyn A. Ifill is a professor at the University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law in Baltimore and the author of On the Courthouse Lawn: Confronting the Legacy of Lynching in the 21st Century.

I could not agree more with Professor Sherrilyn Ifill.   The jokes and behaviors towards Barack are made MOSTLY because he is black.

If Clinton were president there would be NO Tea Party existing today!

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2012, 11:55:12 AM »

JC yuh talkin' outta two sides of your mouth.  First yuh riding men for being "apologist" then yuh trying to get technical (in an apologist way), to justify the use of a term which clearly has racially prejudiced connotations. 

Come nah man fuh real...

FYI: Cracker is a derogatory term, and it's used primarily to refer to poor whites (whether racist or not)...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 12:01:12 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2012, 11:59:46 AM »

you racist yuh self

flip it flop  it how you want all you want  a cracker its a racial term used  against whites .... you know like calling a black person a n1gger
Where in the south you ever live? matter of fact i will make it easier for you, where in emerica yuh ever lived? bro, i live in america, and does interact with black americans every fackin waking day, and you want tuh tell me what ah black american term means while livin in fackin canada??!!. that's like me trying to tell you bout your own family members.

i not going to waste time wid you boss, so for the last time, my intention was not to be racist, and i used the word the way it was meant to be used, it's like ah person saying "hillbilly" to describe ah certain rural mentality, same as "hick" and "trailer trash"! if dat eh good enough for you, then believe what yuh want , i gone!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 12:01:52 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2012, 12:48:13 PM »

jc, dat is a convoluted def'n of racist if ever there was one. yuh bobbing and weaving.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2012, 01:21:20 PM »

you racist yuh self

Where in the south you ever live? matter of fact i will make it easier for you, where in emerica yuh ever lived? bro, i live in america, and does interact with black americans every fackin waking day, and you want tuh tell me what ah black american term means while livin in fackin canada??!!. that's like me trying to tell you bout your own family members.

i not going to waste time wid you boss, so for the last time, my intention was not to be racist, and i used the word the way it was meant to be used, it's like ah person saying "hillbilly" to describe ah certain rural mentality, same as "hick" and "trailer trash"! if dat eh good enough for you, then believe what yuh want , i gone!

I understand

so a black american calling a white person a  cracker is ok ... it not racist  when talking other black people.....  ::)

« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 01:59:16 PM by Trini _2018 »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2012, 03:19:58 PM »

Just Cool... I think  you are being sincere when you say that you are not racist, after all, you will trot out the fact that the mother/s of your kids is/are white, that your kids are mixed-race, that you get along well with everybody once they treat you with respect... etc. etc.

The fact of the matter though is that for a man who considers himself cool, rational and fair-minded, you have a disturbing penchant for saying the most vile and racist things... and then try to explain it away.  This is what caused you and I to get into our very first verbal confrontation on this site, when I took the very things you said and turned it around from the perspective of a white person, espousing similar ignorance.

There is no way in this America, that the term "cracker" is the equivalent of "hick" or "hillbilly".  "Cracker" is the equivalent of "ni**er" no two ways about it, the term is a racial pejorative no different form "honky".  Hillbilly or hick would roughly be equivalent to "hoodrat"... both terms on either side may be racially-charged, but these are less pejorative in nature than cracker and the n-word.

Regardless what your intent may be, we have several white members of the forum, including at least one moderator, say nothing of visitors to the site.  I think you need to bear this in mind before you say some of the things that you say.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2012, 03:58:28 PM »
From The Root:

Disagree that any "sober thinking person" would immediately delete...that's a bit of hyperbole.  We all enjoy reading an offensive joke every now and then, even about ourselves.  Agree that it was reckless to then forward it.

It is both premature and unhelpful to automatically classify the examples given as "racially driven"... Ifill has no insight into the motivations of the individuals in question and to reach for the race card in such a knee-jerk fashion only serves to undermine the more legitimate shouts of racism. 

Federal district judges are also appointed for life, and thus may exercise this authority over decades.

Didn't know this... interesting.  They can still be removed via impeachment however.

Agreed... of all the examples of opposition to Obama thus far, I think this is the only instance that can somewhat legitimately be termed 'racist' in nature.

Very little, if anything will come of this... I personally don't see how it rises to the level of judicial misconduct.

Ifill should know that the Model Code doesn't "set" the standard... as much as it suggests the standard.  There is a difference, the Model Code carries no authority of law, unless it is adopted by the jurisdiction.  The Federal Courts have not adopted the ABA's Model Code, but instead have their own Federal Code of Judicial Conduct.

None of these are really determinative, since they don't govern Cebull's behavior.  I'm sure analogous codes might be found in the Federal CJC though.

I agree with this in its entirety... as I argued earlier, it really doesn't matter what he himself thinks of his actions.

Agreed with all the above.

I like Prof. Ifill... the little that I know of her, but I think that while sufficient, the article could also have been stronger in a lot of areas.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2012, 05:13:29 PM »
Via a perfunctory search, I attempted to locate an article or commentary in support of Cebull. I found a letter to the editor in one of the local papers in his neck of the woods ... I hoped to paint a sharp contrast between Ifill's article and the one I sought, but no such luck. Perhaps, I'll look more penetratingly when time permits.

@Bakes: re: the life appointment ... I had anticipated you rendering comment when TT called for dismissal, but you explained your silence. The conventional wisdom espoused is that here there is no high crime or misdemeanor involved.

Under the applicable code of judicial conduct, if Cebull is a member of an entity that practices invidious discrimination, what's the likelihood of it coming to light? Presumably, members of the entity would have a vested interest in covering his ass. At present, but for his personal comments, what we have is a hint of his proclivity rather than an outright conclusive whopper of it ... although I'm not inclined to go with his self-declaration.

On the issue of "racially driven", I understand the caution ... but given the tradition of loyal opposition in the United States, typical congressional tolerance even in similar conditions of a polarized polity and the lack of similarly egregious conduct even in the face of manifest presidential intransigence ... I think we have here at least the ingredients for a rebuttable presumption of race as a motivating factor with respect to the examples of conduct identified by Ifill.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 05:15:35 PM by asylumseeker »

truetrini

« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2012, 06:39:51 PM »
asylumseeker, I like you, even when I was cutting your ass in debates about the housing market way back in 2006 (?) or is it 07?

But reading what you write reminds me of being back in my A Level English Literature class when I was studying Hardy.

In other words it can be very muddy reading.

You does talk like this everyday?  I mean in conversations with everyday, run of the mill people not associated with this board?

e.g.   
typical congressional tolerance even in similar conditions of a polarized polity and the lack of similarly egregious conduct even in the face of manifest presidential intransigence

I does be scrambling for a dictionary every time I have to read your posts so I can make sense of them.  How dem half chinee does understand you?

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2012, 07:41:58 PM »
It's not a matter of emotion...what would you think if that joke were forwarded to you? or what would you say if Obama's name were removed and replaced with yours and you received it in an email would it still be funny?

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2012, 07:43:15 PM »

asylumseeker, I like you, even when I was cutting your ass in debates about the housing market way back in 2006 (?) or is it 07?

But reading what you write reminds me of being back in my A Level English Literature class when I was studying Hardy.

In other words it can be very muddy reading.

You does talk like this everyday?  I mean in conversations with everyday, run of the mill people not associated with this board?

e.g.   
typical congressional tolerance even in similar conditions of a polarized polity and the lack of similarly egregious conduct even in the face of manifest presidential intransigence

I does be scrambling for a dictionary every time I have to read your posts so I can make sense of them.  How dem half chinee does understand you?
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: aye o god...............lawd  :rotfl: :whistling:  carry on..............
I pity the fool....

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2012, 07:47:46 PM »
I recall the housing crisis exchanges. I suspect you cutting my ass is revisionism. :P I might agree to an evenly bloody aftermath.

Wax, wax, wax ... ah doh do much chatting when it come to meh half chinee  ...  hence ah does come here and supplement/replace meh diet.  ;D Frankly, ah only partially on kix. I readily admit to using this venue to refine my thought process.

Actually, I think the Mayor of Casterbridge and Far From the Madding Crowd made for easier reading. :)

Look, I don't pretend that everybody need understand ... that was a deal I made with myself when I started posting. Needah ah doh go outta meh way to be deliberately obfuscating or gratuitously high brow. It comes as it flows. In the present case, even as I hit send I recognized the content for what it was ... but since it was directed @Bakes primarily ... it had that tilt because constructs like "invidious discrimination" and "rebuttable presumption" come from a particular context.

That covers most of the deal. Part of the balance is that I view the forum as an organic document that will one day possess its own provenance of our cultural record and I treat it as such.

Ah forgetting something ... oh yeah, to translate this:

" ... typical congressional tolerance even in similar conditions of a polarized polity and the lack of similarly egregious conduct even in the face of manifest presidential intransigence ..."

Vitriol in any legislative chamber is par fuh de course, but the intolerant displays evident in this Congress (just look at Ochocinco's puzzlement re: Boehner or the Ifill examples) are beyond the pale. Iz a hard sell that race isn't a corrosive element in the pic. We have had polarization before but there has always been greater deference to the POTUS. Now one can argue (as you have) that Obama's cowtowing kinda brought it on himself (I don't disagree) ... but the level of permissiveness is ludicrous. On the real it probably isn't any different than the rumblings felt by other professionals of color in their working environments when bestowed with authority that others resent or resist. In both contexts it is difficult to abstract or even eliminate race as a viable culprit ... yuh hadda rely on the surrounding facts and circumstances (ah know ah preaching to de choir).

What else? Yeah, in modern America history, there have been presidents who have engaged in all manner of f**kery ... but nobody  (read elected officials) got up to f**k with them in the denigrating fashion that this Republican cohort seems to endorse. Darn ... as misplaced as Limbaugh's comments were re: the law student, Michelle Bachmann bite she tongue and couldn't bring herself to rightly condemn Rush. Dem tings is folly.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 07:56:58 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2012, 08:07:08 PM »
my grandmother ....lawd bless her soul....told me that no matter how many letters I get behind my name..if I allowed education to make me become a jack ass...then the only thing I become is an educated jack ass....I hope that was simple enough to read.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2012, 08:11:09 PM »
my grandmother ....lawd bless her soul....told me that no matter how many letters I get behind my name..if I allowed education to make me become a jack ass...then the only thing I become is an educated jack ass....I hope that was simple enough to read.

Mine didn't have to tell me.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 08:37:52 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2012, 08:23:17 PM »
No need to try and clown Asylumseeker... I agree (and he concedes to an extent) that his writing could be simpler, much simpler in my opinion.  That said, I understood what he said and understand the message he is trying to convey.  That said, I still stand convicted that it doesn't help the discourse to automatically start tossing about "race", "racist" and "racism" on the evidence that we have relating to Wilson, Brewer, Arpaio and now Cebull.  The example of Cebull is the one which comes closest to the charge, since as Ifill rightly said, in disseminating the "joke" he at least allows for the rise of a rebuttable presumption that he enjoyed/agrees with/endorses the joke.  If he shares the sentiments expressed in the joke then he may in fact be guilty of harboring racist thoughts.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2012, 08:46:17 PM »
Me eh trying to clown nobody but when big man come with dat kinda nonsense yuh does have to call dem out..

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2012, 08:52:12 PM »
Did I jess read that JC breed ah white thing...?  ;D :wavetowel:

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2012, 09:09:05 PM »
Me eh trying to clown nobody but when big man come with dat kinda nonsense yuh does have to call dem out..

It eh no clowning scene, buh wha is de nonsense that you so feel you addressed?

truetrini

« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2012, 10:22:51 PM »
I see you remember what we studied in English Lit those years...Mayor is a boss book,,,good movie too..yuh is ah kinda Henchard yuh know

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2012, 03:00:35 AM »
Did I jess read that JC breed ah white thing...?  ;D :wavetowel:
please breds, have some respect, i don't like the term ting when talking bout my family, as yuh know, i will never address your mrs as ah "ting".

when ah fella using that word, it's to describe ah wonton dame yuh playing with, which yuh have no intention of make her an honest woman. all my baby mothers are ladies, so i would rather yuhs guys address them as such.    much respect to all.                       positive.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2012, 03:09:15 AM »
Trini 2018, i not in the long talk bro, but i will just say this and dun the argument, bc i know who i am and no guy can't evaluate me, and quite frankly, they have no need to, bc i so bold face that if i was ah racist i would say it loud and proud and fack who doh like it!

for the last time, i used the word the way any "black american" newyorker would, how i'm used to hearing it used, and how it is deemed in my neck of the woods,

and if allyuh take offense to it, then i suggest that allyuh never ever again in life use the words "RED NECK" to describe anyone, since that too could be construed as ah racist term, or @ least have racial implications.

BTW, hillbilly, and hick could also be very offensive to the ppl it's directed towards, same goes for boy, and "hey you".
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 03:14:41 AM by just cool »

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2012, 10:56:58 AM »

Mine didn't have to tell me.

And yet should have.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2012, 03:10:44 PM »
And yet should have.

Ah guess Giggsy ent de only woman coming out de closet.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2012, 09:25:06 AM »

Why you even bother to read that drivel?

If the man goal is to make his message as garbled as possible then his intent can't be for you to read it. Leave the man be, let him humor himself.

What i know is that the most effective way to deliver a message is to tailor it to your audience, and last time i check this is SW.net not the Form 6 Literature club.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 09:28:47 AM by dinho »

1]; } ?>