March 28, 2024, 07:05:57 PM

Author Topic: March Madness 2012  (Read 11217 times)

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
March Madness 2012
« on: March 08, 2012, 10:07:31 AM »
Madness done start already. Championship Week!

Mid Majors done do they thing, now is the big boys:

ACC
Big 12
Big East
Big Ten
SEC
PAc-12
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: March Madness 2012
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 10:09:36 AM »
Teams Already in the 2012 NCAA Tournament: Fan’s Take
By Joe Dorish, Yahoo! Contributor Network
Mar 6, 8:49 am EST
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ycn-11059094

These are the teams that have already earned berths into the 2012 NCAA Tournament though Monday, March 5, 2012. I'm also listing the consequences of each of these teams winning their conference tournaments. In most cases, the top seeded team won, but in others the top seed lost. Will the top seeds that lost still get at-large bids which will deny other teams bids?

I've been a college basketball fan, and a fan of the Syracuse Orange, since the 1970s, when I was a kid. College basketball is great all season, but when March rolls around the season is the best. It's always fun to watch and see who wins their conference tournaments to get automatic bids. Syracuse is the top rated team in the Big East Tournament, which kicks off today, Tuesday, March 6, 2012, at Madison Square Garden.

Teams Already in the 2012 NCAA Tournament

Loyola (MD) Greyhounds - 24-8 (Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference)

The Loyola (MD) Greyhounds defeated the Fairfield Stags, 48-44, in the final of the MAAC Tournament in Springfield, Massachusetts to earn an automatic berth to the 2012 NCAA Tournament. Loyola has a pretty high RPI, and the Greyhounds only have quality wins this season over Iona and Bucknell. I doubt they win a game in the Bid Dance.

Fairfield knocked out the top seeded Iona Gaels in the semifinals, likely costing Iona a bid to the NCAA Tournament. Iona only has a top 50 win over Nevada in 2012, and I just don't think they have enough quality wins to get a bid. Plus Iona lost to 10-22 Hofstra, and 14-17 Siena this year.

Davidson Wildcats - 25-7 (Southern Conference)

The top seeded Davidson Wildcats had to go to two OT's to defeat the Western Carolina Catamounts, 93-91, in the final of the Southern Conference Tournament. The win earned Davidson a trip to the Big Dance. Unlike Iona, Davidson had a signature win this year, as they beat the #3 ranked Kansas Jayhawks, 80-74, in Kansas.

Davidson might have gotten an at-large bid had they lost in the tournament final, but it's irrelevant now. You have to say the Davidson Wildcats are a threat to win a NCAA Tournament game, as they already beat Kansas, one of the best teams in the country.

VCU Rams- 28-6 (Colonial Athletic Association)

The VCU Rams, who made it to the Final Four in 2011, are headed back to the Bid Dance. VCU defeated the Drexel Dragons, 59-56, in the final of the Colonial Conference Tournament. VCU beat South Florida, Akron and George Mason this season, for three decent wins. Not sure they would have gotten an at-large bid though had they lost to Drexel.

The Drexel Dragons are 27-6, but have only beaten VCU and George Mason this season for decent wins. I don't think Drexel gets an at-large bid.

Saint Mary's Gaels - 27-5 (West Coast Conference)

With a 78-74 win over the Gonzaga Bulldogs, the Saint Mary's Gaels won the West Coast Conference Tournament and earned an automatic berth into the NCAA Tournament. With an RPI in the low 30's, combined with quality wins over Gonzaga (during the regular season), and two wins over BYU, Saint Mary's would probably have gotten a bid even if they lost the championship game.

The team that did lose, the Gonzaga Bulldogs, have an even better RPI, plus wins over Notre Dame, Oral Roberts, Xavier, Saint Mary's, and two wins over BYU. Gonzaga is a lock for a 2012 at-large NCAA Tournament bid.

Creighton Bluejays - 28-5 (Missouri Valley Conference)

The Creighton Bluejays won the Missouri Valley Conference Tournament by defeating the Illinois State Redbirds in the final, 83-79 in OT. That gave Creighton an automatic berth, but the Bluejays, who beat San Diego State, Northwestern, Wichita State, and Long Beach State, would have gotten a bid even if they lost.

Illinois State will not get a bid, even though they knocked off Wichita State in the semifinals. Despite the loss, 27-5 Wichita State will still get a bid.

Murray State Racers - 30-1 (Ohio Valley Conference)

The Murray State Racers won the Ohio Valley Conference Tournament over the Tennessee State Tigers, 54-52. Murray State was a lock for the NCAA Tournament anyway, but their win saves an at-large bid for another team. Going to be interesting to see how high a seed Murray State will get.

Belmont Bruins - 27-7 (Atlantic Sun Conference)

The Belmont Bruins defeated the Florida Gulf Coast Eagles, 83-69, in the Atlantic Sun Conference Tournament Championship to earn an automatic NCAA Tournament bid. With an RPI in the 60's, I don't think Belmont would have got a bid if they lost.

UNC-Asheville Bulldogs - 24-9 (Big South Conference)

The top seeded UNC-Asheville Bulldogs won the Big South Conference Tournament over VMI, 80-64. That locked up a bid for the Bulldogs, which they would not have gotten without winning their tournament.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 10:12:24 AM by Bitter »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 12:40:11 PM »
I just coming to start this thread... been watching the Big East tournament the past three days.  Syracuse and UCONN going at it right now... Georgetown v. Cincinnati next.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 02:45:43 PM »
Georgetown loss like some backsides... steups.  Well at least they'll be well-rested fuh de tourney next week  :-[

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 05:33:00 PM »
Georgetown loss like some backsides... steups.  Well at least they'll be well-rested fuh de tourney next week  :-[

I was coming to pong you, but I will wait for next week. When I well-rested  ;D

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 08:13:48 PM »

I was coming to pong you, but I will wait for next week. When I well-rested  ;D

No shame in that loss... Cincinnati (like Marquette) always play us well because they are very physical with us.  The best way to disrupt a passing offense is to get physical with them (no different from football).  I think it's been two-three years since we beat Cincy... so no real surprise either... except we give the game away with some dotish mistakes.

Besides, Syracuse juss loss to dem in de Semis... so clearly they eh no fluke.  Doh worry I doh mind de pongin' I di'n really expect much from this G'town team (neither did anybody else), not a team that lost it's three best players and only have two seniors.  We young and will only get better.  When Hibbert graduate everybody was worried who de next big man would be... up stepped Monroe.  Monroe leave fuh de NBA and the questions came up again... up stepped Vaughn.  Vaughn graduate... and Simms step up.  We go see what next year brings... we solid at every other position.  But still plenty basketball still to be played over the course of the next three weeks  ;)

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 12:09:09 PM »
Cincinnati at hitting their peak right now because they knocked off No. 1 seed Syracuse last night so Bakes allyuh come out good in the grand scheme of things.
I still vex we let Uconn come back and beat us in OT....well even if we won, we would've been out in the next round ;D

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 12:41:16 PM »
Well yuh know I hating on all de rat programs... WVU, Syracuse and Pitt.  The ACC could have Syracuse, with all they shady recruiting and latent scandals waiting tuh bubble over.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 12:59:33 PM »
Well yuh know I hating on all de rat programs... WVU, Syracuse and Pitt.  The ACC could have Syracuse, with all they shady recruiting and latent scandals waiting tuh bubble over.
Our departure was strictly a football decision, I know Huggins is not pleased to leave the Big East (top conference) to the Big 12 for basketball. To make matters worst the Big East is also a big time soccer conference, the Big 12 don't even have men's soccer as one of it's sports so more than likely we'll have to play in conference USA or the MAC, two shitty conferences.
I was hoping for the Big East to attract some decent football programs so we can stay but football is what drives college athletics.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 02:19:43 PM »
Our departure was strictly a money decision, I know Huggins is not pleased to leave the Big East (top conference) to the Big 12 for basketball. To make matters worst the Big East is also a big time soccer conference, the Big 12 don't even have men's soccer as one of it's sports so more than likely we'll have to play in conference USA or the MAC, two shitty conferences.
I was hoping for the Big East to attract some decent football programs so we can stay but money is what drives college athletics.

Fix it fuh yuh  ;)

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 04:43:31 PM »
What a Shame. Hard Luck wid it Dey Duke.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 07:20:48 PM »
Our departure was strictly a money decision, I know Huggins is not pleased to leave the Big East (top conference) to the Big 12 for basketball. To make matters worst the Big East is also a big time soccer conference, the Big 12 don't even have men's soccer as one of it's sports so more than likely we'll have to play in conference USA or the MAC, two shitty conferences.
I was hoping for the Big East to attract some decent football programs so we can stay but money is what drives college athletics.

Fix it fuh yuh  ;)
:beermug: Yes that pretty much sums it up.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 08:32:31 PM »
As I just mention on FB... the sad irony of watching two former Conference USA teams play for the 'Big East' title... steups

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 01:14:44 PM »
What a Shame. Hard Luck wid it Dey UNC.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 01:43:19 PM »
Carolina and Kentucky both lost in their Conference finals today... bit of a shocker, especially UK.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 09:36:36 PM »
Western Kentucky erase a 16 point deficit to beat Mississippi State, and now Iona is choking vs BYU.

Up 15 at the half, Iona is now up by 1 and struggling with 8 minutes to go. I backing Iona only because I still fedup of hearing about Jimmer Ferdette last year and because They need to Justify leaving out Drexel with a win.

With regard to Western Kentucky, a team with a losing record proves, it's not how many you win, it's when. Won four games in four days to take the Sun Belt Conference title, now they have an NCAA tournament win in front of President Obama. Good stuff. The game itself was like an MLS game, all action, no style.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 09:42:52 PM by Bitter »

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2012, 09:56:56 PM »
Mormon Power!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2012, 11:15:18 PM »
Mormon Power!

Tenorsaw and he Iona boys had mih tizzic fuh two hours.  Somebody fuhget to tell dem de game really last 2 1/2 though.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2012, 09:53:20 AM »
UCONN

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2012, 01:54:37 PM »
So far no madness, just ruthless efficiency by the higher seeds.
Ting now start though...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2012, 02:16:19 PM »
Syracuse in a dog fight with Ashville.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2012, 02:52:01 PM »

Plenty of time...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2012, 04:15:55 PM »

Plenty of time...

...fuh de officials to hand the Orange the game.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2012, 08:23:32 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/TqwPXWltLio" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/TqwPXWltLio</a>

Wichita State

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2012, 10:43:36 PM »

Wichita State
De pep band liking dey self lol...de conductor and de two fellas on the brass instruments in the front was killing me :rotfl:

Shaka continues to exemplify his coaching brilliance, but I don't have them moving on though

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2012, 11:17:03 PM »
UCONN USUCK

... what's actually heard at opposing Big East arenas, and what UCons will be known as with no post-season basketball the next two years.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2012, 04:12:54 PM »
UCONN USUCK

... what's actually heard at opposing Big East arenas, and what UCons will be known as with no post-season basketball the next two years.

saw this coming but not in the first rongs. tough yr allrong.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2012, 06:51:19 PM »
I cyah say nutten... Georgetown get upset the last two years by first Ohio University (not even "Ohio St." eh... facking Ohio, who chariot promptly turned back into a pumpkin the next rongs.  Then last year get bounce by VCU.. who at least had the grace to make it all the way to the Final Four.

Mizzou consulting de same 'faith healer' we went to the past two tourneys...

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2012, 07:49:27 PM »
Dook! Carry allyuh tiefin selves back to Durham!

big up to Norfolk State too!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2012, 09:00:46 PM »
...and Michigan

1]; } ?>