April 18, 2024, 07:03:28 PM

Author Topic: First session at Home Depot...U-23s settle in LA  (Read 7337 times)

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
First session at Home Depot...U-23s settle in LA
« on: March 21, 2012, 06:07:06 PM »
First session at Home Depot as U-23s settle in LA.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

Trinidad and Tobago's Men's Olympic footballers had their first training session in California on Wednesday evening from 6:30pm at the Home Depot Center training pitch number 3 after arriving from Fort Lauderdale at 1pm (4pm T&T Time) ahead of their opening final round CONCACAF Olympic qualifier against Mexico on Friday.

Head coach Angus Eve and his men checked in at the Marriot Torrance and had a surprise visit from ex-LA Galaxy midfielder Chris Birchall who was in LA for the club's MLS Ring presentation ceremony following their MLS title winning season last year. Birchall met with members of the team and wished them well ahead of their qualifying series.

"It's a pity I'm going back to London today because I would have definitely liked seeing them play. It's a great stadium to play in at Home Depot and it's a fantastic opportunity for the boys. I was in town for the Ring ceremony and I walked into our former manager Bruce Aanensen in the elevator last night... it was a pleasant surprise," Birchall told TTFF Media.

"I'd definitely like to see them do well and come to London for the Olympics later this year."

The Mexican team is also staying at the Marriot as well as MLS club DC United for an earlier MLS league fixture. Nick De Leon, son of former T&T great Leroy De Leon is also with the team and was expected to hold talks with Eve over his international future.

De Leon had been invited to join the team for the Olympic qualifiers but insufficient time didn't allow for him to be part of the current squad.

Orlando City midfielder Kevin Molino made the six-hour flight from Fort Lauderdale with the rest of the squad and is eager to take the pitch on Friday.

“It’s game time again for us and I’m always ready to play for Trinidad and Tobago. We’ve come a long way and prepared for this tournament and now it’s getting closer to kick off time.

I think we will be in with a good chance here. Once we can hold our own like we did in the Pan-Am Games then we could certainly get some good results here and progress in the tournament,” Molino said.

Scores of Mexican journalists also covered the team's arrival at Los Angeles International Airport and the Marriot Hotel.

The T&T team will train on Thursday morning at 10am at Home Depot before Friday's clash with the Mexicans at 830pm (11:30pm T&T time).

Mexican coach: T&T not to be taken lightly.

Mexico’s head coach  Luis Fernando Tena has no intentions of taking Trinidad and Tobago lightly when both team clash in their CONCACAF Olympic qualifier  on Friday night at 8:30pm (11:30 pm T&T time) at the Home Depot Center, California.

Mexico defeated Senegal 2-1 in San Francisco on Saturday n their final warm up clash and Tena still sees room for improvement. And while most media houses, particularly those in the US, have been rating T&T as the weakest team in the competition, Tena remembers the 1-1 draw in Guadalajara last October.

“They’re a very organized team, they (T&T) have a lot of speed,” he  told reporters.

Tena, also the assistant coach of Mexico’s senior team, believes defending champions  Honduras can be a dangerous team in the competition.

“They have time working together. It is a team that’s strong, the same thing as Panama – that they have a long time working together. Costa Rica and Trinidad as well,” the former Club America coach said.

“We still have work to do,” he explained after the win over Senegal. “I think the team has a nice line in the front, we’re still dominating the game a little bit, but we’re trying to understand that we have a good position, we have a good roster, we have depth in our roster and we’re looking to learn how to attack the rivals.”

T&T head coach Angus Eve has warned his players about any level of complacency as while they respect the Mexicans, they may be fooled into believing that because of the 1-1 result in Guadalajara, the result will easily be as positive on Friday.

“They are coming at us even harder than before,” Eve told TTFF Media. “And I’ve made it clear to the players that they will be playing in their backyard. There will be a huge Mexican presence in the Stadium and we’ve got to be switched on for 95 plus minutes.”

Orlando City midfielder Kevin Molino joined the T&T Team prior to their flight to California at 10am on Wednesday while Polish-based defender Mekeil Williams is scheduled to meet the team at the Marriot Torrance Hotel, Fashion Way, California. The T&T team is scheduled to arrive there around 4pm T&T Time.

“We are focused on the task at hand. I think we’ve been together long enough and we’ve played some matches that required a level of concentration such as in the Pan American Games so we know what need to do,” skipper Sheldon Bateau told TTFF Media.

“We’re down to the final squad and every player knows his role and responsibility.”

« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 06:14:52 PM by Flex »
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: First session at Home Depot...U-23s settle in LA
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 06:59:57 PM »
Nice pix!!!

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 07:15:36 PM »
Nice picture they Shaun.

Who de hell is that fat man in de fost row, fost player (Jeromie Williams ?)

Good luck to de fellas.

Mexico is playing at home and they coming from de first whistle and they know T&T will be nervous, so T&T must keep focus for 90+ and also try not to make mistakes especially at the back, they cannot allow de fans to distrack them either.

T&T must stamp they authority from early because if they give Mexico the power to control de game, we will be chasing de ball whole game and we will loose.

We need to play them the way we played the USA in the last under 20 qualifiers in T&T.

We have to play organised football, control de middle and keep the attack, they must not allow Mexico to continue coming at them, they have to fustrate the Mexicans and keep them in they corner.

I just hope T&T keep they composure and not get stupid cards to.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 07:44:51 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/L-Bt_37nk0g" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/L-Bt_37nk0g</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/1F7lHL4zf10" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/1F7lHL4zf10</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/4RxwuYYS9KA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/4RxwuYYS9KA</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/D3bGPUp8Tc4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/D3bGPUp8Tc4</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/CYc4aFCM5Qw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/CYc4aFCM5Qw</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 08:07:34 PM »
Chris is a cool fella boy.  Real love Birchey.  I love the business like vibe of the fellas.  Hair trim nice, suits. etc.  This time the management team got it right.  Sorry to have to miss this lime.  Feliz goh enjoy for me. 
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 08:32:00 PM »
Sam, spot on.

Mexico will play at a very high level of intensity very early on in the game. Initially it won't be about probing, it will be about catching us out psychologically. Those opening minutes have been fundamental to the approach Mexican age group teams have taken in recent time. They work on that.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 09:09:48 PM »
good stuff
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline #4

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • #YGBfiles: The Young, Gifted, and Black Files
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 09:10:45 PM »
Chris is always the consummate professional- definitely someone for these young guys to look up to. I have tremendous respect for #7.

As for the young guys, my DVR has already been prepared to record a classic- I'm looking forward to this one!

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 09:30:10 PM »
Birchy will be the skipper of these lads in a couple years..  true pro

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 09:57:52 PM »
Nice pic fuh real, the fellas representing well... good professional look.  Hopefully that carries over on the field of play too... good luck fellas!

truetrini

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 10:00:39 PM »
Sam, spot on.

Mexico will play at a very high level of intensity very early on in the game. Initially it won't be about probing, it will be about catching us out psychologically. Those opening minutes have been fundamental to the approach Mexican age group teams have taken in recent time. They work on that.

We are also fortunate to be catching Mexico early on before they settle into the tourney.

They will have tremendous pressure on them to succeed and we can use that to our advantage.

We need to be physical but smart and not be wild.

We can do it, I feel we can surprise them.

I am hoping, what I want now is for Palos to come and say we getting beaten with he goat mouth and we will walk away winners for sure...lol

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 02:01:03 AM »
Palas only jocking he prick in Canada, yuh cah see him at all.

And Crotroversial taping de action !!!!!!!!!

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 03:56:30 AM »
Nice articles, nice videos, nice vibes.............win, lose or draw, the future of our football (from a "player" standpoint) looks bright!!

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 06:32:39 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Yo48l_kXcFM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Yo48l_kXcFM</a>

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 07:08:03 AM »
Progress, far from consisting in change, depends on retentiveness.  When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. Those who cannot remember the past are doomed to repeat it — George Santayana.

You have played well enough to make it to the elite group of 8. Every team in this tournament has a great chance of winning, you are no different. Your journey has just begun. Every team in your group and probably in the entire tournament knows you have a history of starting slowly. If you come out of the starting blocks like you don't know your own history you will be trailing by 3 — 0 at the end of the half of all of your games in your group. I hear you talking but talk is cheap.

0 wins — 3 loses = You are going home
3 draws — 0 wins = You are going home
2 wins — 1 draw = Change & You are moving on to the next rounds
3 wins — 0 loses = Progress & You have changed history
Be one of the last two teams standing and you have become history. It's a very tall order but it can be done.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 07:31:56 AM by King Deese »
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, 08:04:16 AM »
All i want to say is thanks to the TTFF,MOS (Anil),Tony Harford,Anton Corneal,Angus Eve and his technical staff etc etc for making it possible for these guys to represent the country at this stage of qualifications for the Olympics.

A few months ago it did not look like it would have been possible for us to participate but we are here,although we might say the players have been together for some time it can also be said they have been through quite a lot due to what have been going on with the administration.

These guys had issues at times with salaries,quality practice games,players not being released by their clubs for Camps or games,a threatened strike action etc etc any how T&T we are with you and wish you all the best just give it your best shot.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2012, 09:40:16 AM »
All i want to say is thanks to the TTFF,MOS (Anil),Tony Harford,Anton Corneal,Angus Eve and his technical staff etc etc for making it possible for these guys to represent the country at this stage of qualifications for the Olympics.

A few months ago it did not look like it would have been possible for us to participate but we are here,although we might say the players have been together for some time it can also be said they have been through quite a lot due to what have been going on with the administration.

These guys had issues at times with salaries,quality practice games,players not being released by their clubs for Camps or games,a threatened strike action etc etc any how T&T we are with you and wish you all the best just give it your best shot.

No thanks to the people that has/have been putting pressure on these people that you thanking to step their game up.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2012, 09:45:22 AM »

No thanks to the people that has/have been putting pressure on these people that you thanking to step their game up.
      That is for you to do,i can't do everything,i does thank those who never get thanks,keep up the pressure.

Offline jr sams

• Hero Warrior
  • Every time....all de time....true to form
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2012, 12:49:02 PM »
Chris is a cool fella boy.  Real love Birchey.  I love the business like vibe of the fellas.  Hair trim nice, suits. etc.  This time the management team got it right.  Sorry to have to miss this lime.  Feliz goh enjoy for me. 
Was thinking the same thing as I watched the pic and the clips...very professional with every man jack in their suit and tie.
well yes

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2012, 01:30:53 PM »
Good luck to the yutemen and them. But on a real though, howcome they could afford to stay in a hotel such as that? Wasn't the senior team a couple months ago in Guyana forced to stay at a hotel that was described as guest house? TTFF win the lottery and they eh tell us or Taxpayers fitting this one?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2012, 03:10:56 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8lV_K_Sz0d4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/8lV_K_Sz0d4</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/zEGQu0MGJ-U" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/zEGQu0MGJ-U</a>

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2012, 03:29:38 PM »
Stueeppsss, them boy eh show birchy no love @ all. one thing about this new bread ah trinis, they real fackin cold and loveless boy! the man make the effort tuh come through and encourage, and them boy just go on like if it wasn't sh!t. if i was birchall i woulda never even waste my fackin time.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2012, 04:48:56 PM »
How allyuh come to the conclusion that the yutes dissin' Me Mom?

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2012, 05:00:03 PM »
Just read the body language nah man!
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Dynamite Warrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2012, 06:04:22 PM »
Just read the body language nah man!

I noticed the same thing too they hardly looked at him, and gave him a half hearted handshake. It was almost like they didnt know who he was.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2012, 08:07:50 PM »
I find allyuh jumping to conclusions!!!

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2012, 09:55:45 PM »
Some ah them fellas doh even know who he is.  But I'm assure they appreciated it when they finally recognized who it was.  Small things like that goes a long way. 
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2012, 10:05:06 PM »
Sam, spot on.

True...but this team is the most mentally strong TnT team I have seen in decades. Don't know why but is all heart and strength with them. They even a little cantankerous. From in the earlies they were like that. This is the BIG SIDE!! Don't ruin it Eve...
Two islands are better than one.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2012, 01:31:57 AM »
We have good reason to be optimistic. There's a buzz about these guys that's in the air.

This generation of player will be battling each other for years to come ... on both sides: Mex and TT. There is a lot in this. Looking fwd to it.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2012, 05:58:13 AM »
Stueeppsss, them boy eh show birchy no love @ all. one thing about this new bread ah trinis, they real fackin cold and loveless boy! the man make the effort tuh come through and encourage, and them boy just go on like if it wasn't sh!t. if i was birchall i woulda never even waste my fackin time.

Where some ah allyuh does come out from??  Always looking for some negative angle in every situation. 

Wha allyuh want de fellas and dem to do? Run and jump and hug him up?? Or watch him in his eyes wit an enthusiastic grin??

steups!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

1]; } ?>