March 29, 2024, 09:11:27 AM

Author Topic: Willis Plaza Thread  (Read 38597 times)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Willis Plaza Thread
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2013, 04:44:43 PM »
What is the issue with Willis? Is he not on the national team? He played in last tour in the Gulf states. I don't think is excluded from the team. Is he not playing Viet Nam at the moment?

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2013, 05:57:56 PM »
talk about lack of an eye for talent, dem men must be blind down there..

the first 3 mins i see the man play i was wondering why he wasn't even given the chance.. i could imagine how many more players go undiscovered bc men just dont know what is good for our football

Contro, how the hell can you say this when the very answer is here on this thread? So who's blind now?
Instead of looking for fault with coaches, why don't you look at the cause of Plaza's absence? HE chose to chase the money in Vietnam, which is fair enough, but it has impacted on his international career. Plenty coaches wanted to sign him and I'm sure Hart will bring him back in February if he's played half a dozen games and is match fit.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2013, 05:59:00 PM »
What is the issue with Willis? Is he not on the national team? He played in last tour in the Gulf states. I don't think is excluded from the team. Is he not playing Viet Nam at the moment?

Again, the answer is right here in this thread!

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2013, 06:08:08 PM »

the first 3 mins i see the man play i was wondering why he wasn't even given the chance.. i could imagine how many more players go undiscovered bc men just dont know what is good for our football

Contro, how the hell can you say this when the very answer is here on this thread? So who's blind now?
Instead of looking for fault with coaches, why don't you look at the cause of Plaza's absence? HE chose to chase the money in Vietnam, which is fair enough, but it has impacted on his international career. Plenty coaches wanted to sign him and I'm sure Hart will bring him back in February if he's played half a dozen games and is match fit.

There isn't really much information on this player at all. To be fair is the football in Vet better than our Pro league? Or does it pay better?
It don't matter, very thankful to what he has done so far. He is an exciting player to watch and I will be checking out the vods from his team in vet for sure!

Either way, he is a late bloomer and I really wish he was used for earlier camps where we needed a good provider especially after latas departure but he wasn't.. atleast he was found eventually. Honestly thought he was drafted from another country like birchall was .. kinda looks Honduran?

Anyway, kinda late /not really going to help anyone to point fingers. I made this topic because there was limited info on this player, because of this and the introduction of new faces I thought he was left out of the squad completely or something to that nature, so it was concerning after his performances in the middle east.

I have to say though our new head coach with the introduction of these quality local based players is just the start we need to bring everyone back together so we can sort out our current state so it can be improved for the country and the children who worship the National team.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 06:10:03 PM by sHOTTA12 »

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2013, 06:31:32 PM »

There isn't really much information on this player at all. To be fair is the football in Vet better than our Pro league? Or does it pay better?
It don't matter, very thankful to what he has done so far. He is an exciting player to watch and I will be checking out the vods from his team in vet for sure!

Either way, he is a late bloomer and I really wish he was used for earlier camps where we needed a good provider especially after latas departure but he wasn't.. atleast he was found eventually. Honestly thought he was drafted from another country like birchall was .. kinda looks Honduran?

Anyway, kinda late /not really going to help anyone to point fingers. I made this topic because there was limited info on this player, because of this and the introduction of new faces I thought he was left out of the squad completely or something to that nature, so it was concerning after his performances in the middle east.

I have to say though our new head coach with the introduction of these quality local based players is just the start we need to bring everyone back together so we can sort out our current state so it can be improved for the country and the children who worship the National team.

In some cases the money is much better, but the football is below Pro League level, I believe.

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2013, 08:15:19 PM »
Plus new adventure in a bigger country, the experience of a different culture etc. Sounds fun  :beermug:

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2013, 08:16:01 PM »
I have to believe the money is much better.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2013, 09:07:32 AM »
It really is - Yohance Marshal played in Burma and the money was better than in the US (he got into the all-star team too!). You'd have to ask him or Plaza for a comparison - I know Yohance was looking to play in Vietnam at some point as the money and level aren't bad. The real problem in SE Asia is the politics when it comes to picking teams...

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2013, 12:19:23 PM »
It really is - Yohance Marshal played in Burma and the money was better than in the US (he got into the all-star team too!). You'd have to ask him or Plaza for a comparison - I know Yohance was looking to play in Vietnam at some point as the money and level aren't bad. The real problem in SE Asia is the politics when it comes to picking teams...

Hmmm, I hear Yohance doesn't want to go back to the Far East. Yes, the money is better, and it's a great experience fora while, but I don't think players really enjoy spending years there.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2013, 01:58:32 PM »
Yea Yohance wants to be based in the Western Hemisphere for the future - best ask him himself he's one of the nicest guys I've ever met - total professional,

Offline Banter Banton

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2014, 12:34:41 PM »
Anyone have highlights of Plaza goals for club and country ?

will be very appreciated

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Plaza of dreams.
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2014, 03:44:38 AM »
Plaza of dreams.
By Shaun Fuentes (TTFA).

He was perhaps the most pulsating forward in the T&T Pro League this season and capped off a prolific season with Central FC  with selection on the National Men’s team for the two upcoming friendly internationals against Argentina and Iran.

Willis Plaza scored 19 goals in 21 matches for Central this season and was a major factor in the team’s runners up finish in the League and their qualification for the Caribbean Club Championship. Also helping the club to the to the Lucozade Sport Goal Shield a  few weeks ago.

At age 26, Plaza has five goals in ten matches for T&T, including a goal with his first touch of the game in T&T’s 3-3 regulation time draw with United Arab Emirates in Riyadh last year.

“It’s something that I just like doing… scoring goals,” the usually animated Plaza said.

“I like to have fun but when I’m on the field, I get to express myself. I work  as hard as I can and I  always play for my team to win. I don’t care what it takes out of me but once I can give my best then I’m going to do it,” added the former Arima Senior Comprehensive and Arima Boys Government player.

So while he may followed the likes of a Dwight Yorke at the Old Trafford “Theatre of Dreams” hoping to emulate him and his other favourite player Zinedine Zidane, the man from  Arima has his been living his own set of dreams and has more to fulfill.

“I came from a poor home. We didn’t have much opportunities back then but I realized football was something I could play well. When I started with a small team named Pelota in Santa Rosa Heights. Then I met Terry Fenwick at Jabloteh and he spoke to me and he tried to put me on the right track.

It’s hard sometimes but I keep fighting because I want a good life and I know I have to grab the opportunity when it’s there. I spent some time in Thailand and it was a good experience to see part of that world but I like Trinidad also so I came back and I enjoyed playing with Central this season. But if there is that chance, then I would like to go and play outside (of T&T) again.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2014, 09:14:44 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Mqf88pEQpAM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Mqf88pEQpAM</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
Enough is enough. Time for some news on Willis Plaza
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2014, 08:33:41 AM »
Daiz me boy. Who signing him up? Or should I say which clubs is HE interviewing?
Time to start making bigger steps outside.
Football supporter, buss de files nah, if not a player / club security issue.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Enough is enough. Time for some news on Willis Plaza
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2014, 11:15:19 AM »
Daiz me boy. Who signing him up? Or should I say which clubs is HE interviewing?
Time to start making bigger steps outside.
Football supporter, buss de files nah, if not a player / club security issue.

Central want him, Central are talking to him! But in the end, the decision is his!

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2014, 03:17:47 PM »
I could see why there is a quiet before the storm. This is a crucial year for Central FC ... and Plaza. Central FC could be taking off so fast that it go be duss in dey face for Horner and company. As a matter of fact, Horner is unusually quiet these days, as if he realized he lorse de race. Plaza could help CFC move further into CONCACAF club qualification. Then his shop window / marketing value would increase exponentially, thus increasing the chance that he would have more leverage to check out a good quality club abroad the following year.

Plaza, if yuh reading this, I'm inclined to advise  ... stay with Central 1 more year and sign. You will be fine. Iz a win win for both parties with a bigger win for you. Instead of going to some cold abusive backwater eastern europian hole, you might strike a better "gold" with a better place 1 yr later with your resume looking more deadly. Doh fret breds.

Sancho, meh breds, you will have to give a nice raise. Iz as simple as that. He is your hit man to shake up the local and Caribbean clubs ... and beyond.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 11:34:28 PM by dreamer »

Offline Mikeype

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2014, 06:45:14 PM »
I agree that Plaza would be better off signing for another year with Central. Continue his goal scoring form in the Pro League and CFU Club Championship. The same clubs, if not clubs in better leagues, will still be there in one year's time. I feel that it is always a balancing act for Pro League players. Play in the league and get called in for the national team or leave for Europe or Asia and likely not get called for matches due to travel expenses for TTFA, new club agreeing to release him, and keeping in Hart's eyes.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2014, 03:37:48 PM »
Plaza is heading to Belgium, no official club but has offers from 1 Swiss club and two from Belgium, off course CS Visé is leading the race.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 03:41:04 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2014, 03:53:28 PM »
Plaza is heading to Belgium, no official club but has offers from 1 Swiss club and two from Belgium, off course CS Visé is leading the race.

Heard he's going to check the facilities

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2014, 04:52:10 PM »
Ok Plaz. No matter what you do with this trip, your value going up.
Check  out the character of the managers and owners of these institutions.
You eh going begging. Snoop around as much as possible and always have careful legal representation.
I feel you can do better than 3rd division Belgium even though is nice to get yuh foot in Europe even with ketcharse wages.
Keep an eye on Vranes and Sancho as Central is ready to take off and they might raise the pay to keep you when you pass tru T&T to make de final decision
All the best breddah.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2014, 05:30:40 PM »

Flex you're famous :P I hear from a little birdie that the 7:30 sports news in Trinidad basically ran with your post here lol.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Willis Plaza - Video Player Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2015, 06:04:44 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/WUOx-sDpSnE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/WUOx-sDpSnE</a>

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2015, 02:37:58 PM »
<3  :beermug:

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2015, 01:54:59 AM »
Plaza eyes Panama test, Gold Cup pick.
By Shaun Fuentes (TTFA).

Central FC forward Willis Plaza is setting his sights on playing in his first CONCACAF Gold Cup when T&T challenges the best in the region in the July showcase event in the United States and Canada.

Plaza has been recalled to the national team for next Friday’s friendly international against Panama at the Ato Boldon Stadium, Couva, making his return to the team for the first time since last June when he was selected by Stephen Hart for the away matches to Argentina and Iran in which he came off the bench in both matches in the build up to the 2014 World Cup Finals

The 27-year-old Plaza has scored five goals in 12 appearances for T&T. Before joining Central FC for the current T&T Pro League season, Plaza had a stint with Belgian club CS Vise and also appeared in Vietnam with Song Lam Nghe and Sai Gon FC. He first made a name for himself while at San Juan Jabloteh under Terry Fenwick.

“The experience in Belgium was good because I think for players like us coming out of the Pro League, once you get to a big football country like Belgium then there is a lot you can learn and the standard is always higher. Now I am back in Trinidad and hoping to help Central get some success,” Plaza said.

But the taking the Gold Cup field tops his list of priorities at the moment.

“I’ve never been to the Gold Cup and I think this year it’s going to happen. I know competition is always tough for selection but I really have my eyes on the Gold Cup. That’s the big stage for me and hopefully I can make the coach’s cut and go out and impress.”

Looking ahead to the Panama match, in which the Central Americans are coming with full force as they also are preparing for the Gold Cup and 2018 World Cup qualifiers, Plaza said: “Panama is a strong team. I think this game is a really good test for us and some of the other players based in Trinidad will have to rise to the call and put on a good showing. This a great chance for a lot of them to impress and try to make the squad for the Gold Cup.”

Kick off time on March 27 is 7pm. T&T meantime will face off with Guatemala, Cuba and Mexico at the CONCACAF Gold Cup in the United States in July.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Meet forward Willis Plaza
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2015, 07:37:40 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/nqSrjPfCpjA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/nqSrjPfCpjA</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2015, 04:39:22 PM »
WATCH: Willis Plaza Highlights
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3XDpJzebcVQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3XDpJzebcVQ</a>

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2015, 05:06:52 PM »
Good stuff Willis. 2 footed shooter. Go and snap up yuh contract

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2015, 12:29:21 AM »
Coach Hart has to figure out how to utilize this prolific striker...Yes K Jones is the man but with both strikers employed more goals would result.

I am aware that his system doesn't accommodate for both players but it's possible the maintain the balance while playing both strikers.

At the moment  Hart has penetration and service from both flanks...the targets to be served are K Jones, Hyland and whoever else wants it in the box...

This situation demands a lot of effort and work from these players throughout the course of a game..

The work that K Jones have to put out is tremendous ..he has to defend, hold the ball up, make runs in the box with and without the ball...all this while engaging in physical battles with a multitude of players.

Willis Plaza could be featured in the game for ten or fifteen minutes by sacrificing Hyland...Ken Jones can play down ladder and hold up the vertical ball while Plaza  is available up ladder. Both are available to deal with the service from the flanks.

The triangle in the midfield would still be strong or even stronger because K Jones would be now part of that triangle..

If this was done against the US I believe we would have won this game ....the substitutions made were not adjustments to change the game but merely replacements with a different look to achieve the same objective which was to hold the game to a draw by making sure the ball was far away from our end of the pitch for the longest period of time.

We are rich in the dept of service....Abu Bakr from the back, Cyrus, Cato, J Jones et al ...these players can penetrate and serve incessantly...to whom...?  Hyland... when K Jones is down ladder and the obvious ... it is time for Willis Plaza...he is by Trinidad standards top class.. get him in the game.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2015, 01:15:03 AM »
good opinion. i myself thought jones was bun with about 20-30 minutes to left in the game & would have liked to see him replaced.

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2015, 01:20:45 PM »
For me Plaza brings that energy to the team but it also opens up the team a bit more, because he don't hold on to the ball well as KJ does. Plaza is great if we are trailing and need a goal but if we are ahead like we saw against Guatemala he- like any good striker wants to come in and make an impact. His game could use a bit of work in terms of holding on to the ball but he drops back well. For me he is a natural striker and could be used alongside KJ. It's a good weapon off the bench though and like I said his work rate is great when he comes on and during practice as well. Expect Plaza to shine vs teams like Haiti and SVG.

1]; } ?>