April 25, 2024, 04:08:59 AM

Author Topic: US$1,000 for top InterCol players.  (Read 3875 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
US$1,000 for top InterCol players.
« on: October 28, 2005, 02:50:52 AM »
By: Ian Prescott (Express).
[/size]

The stars of the 2005 RBTT-sponsored Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) InterCol tournament have the chance to be selected on a Trinidad and Tobago schoolboys All-Star team which will tour Jamaica for a two-match series against a Jamaican All-Star selection.
That was one of two main initiatives announced at the launch of this year's competition yesterday at the Chancellor Hotel, St Ann's.
At the function, two teams were allowed to permanently keep the InterCol trophies after achieving the feat of winning the title for three consecutive years.
Malick girls' captain Sabrina Frederick lifted the trophy for her team, while Lester Peltier did the same for boys' champions St Anthony's College.
It was also announced that the Most Valuable male and female player will win US $1,000 apiece courtesy RBTT.
SSFL president Ewing Davis announced that this year they had added to the InterCol excitement by including teams from the Senior Division in the competition.
"This year, the RBTT InterCol kicks off on Monday, October 31 because of the adjustment of teams in zones from eight teams to seven teams. The League will include leading non-championship senior teams to play InterCol football this year and its final game will be contested on Saturday, November 26," said Davis.
It was also revealed that RBTT will pump some $300,000 into this year's InterCol.
Delivering the feature address was Wayne Kangaloo, assistant general manager commercial banking at RBTT Ltd. He gave his company's commitment to schools football.
"For seven years, we have been supporting InterCol, which is arguably the most popular secondary schools sporting event. InterCol football is very dear to our hearts because we understand that when young people develop a passion for the sport, they also develop positive lasting traits than can be applied across the board in our daily lives," said Kangaloo.
"Discipline, a sense of team spirit, and the will to excel are qualities that combine to shape individuals of character who can make meaningful, enduring contributions to society."
Rudolph Thomas, head coach of Presentation College, Chaguanas, made a plea to the young footballers to pay as much attention to their education as to football.
Had he the power, Thomas said, he would make it mandatory that for a player to represent a national team, they needed to have at least three O-Level passes. He said during school, good students assimilated information and executed it at exam time and it was a similar principle in football.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Re: US$1,000 for top InterCol players.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 05:24:54 AM »
Giving players money.

Doesnt' that ruin scholarship opportunitties in the US.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 07:05:25 AM »
always nice to hear malick get big up
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 07:16:50 AM »
good point there VB that may go against NCAA rules. 

Offline Silver-Corbeaux

• Jr. Warrior
  • RF is really ah Trini hornchile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 07:25:39 AM »
always nice to hear malick get big up

Ah know ah in farin looooong time but Malick? Ah thought dey did heng he?

Offline Dre Day

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2005, 11:19:26 AM »
By: Ian Prescott (Express).
[/size]

The stars of the 2005 RBTT-sponsored Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) InterCol tournament have the chance to be selected on a Trinidad and Tobago schoolboys All-Star team which will tour Jamaica for a two-match series against a Jamaican All-Star selection.

so this is back like in 98 when the all-star team coached by Greyson went Jamaica, play a four team tournament and rip up Jamaica in a final and they turn off the lights wid bout 10 mins to go....  :D

and then they award joint winners...  >:(

man on that team included Spann and Sealy...

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2005, 12:58:36 PM »
Ah work in collegiate athletics and that is ah violation.  Dem fellas need to be conversant with NCAA rules and regulations; they need a crach course in NCAA compliance.  They possibly affecting players amateur status.  Starting in 2006, the NCAA will have an amateur clearinghouse, in addition to its Initial Eligibility Clearinghouse, and international players will have to be cleared before they could be eligible to compete in NCAA sanctioned contests.  This could prove to be a problem for fellas coming through the system back home.  AH know many of us have had de experience of ah supporter pushing ah blues in yuh pocket after an outstanding game, cause is nuff betting does go down in SSFL.  All them things is violations, and it will affect one's amateur status.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 01:03:04 PM by Tenorsaw »

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2005, 01:10:01 PM »
Ah work in collegiate athletics and that is ah violation.  Dem fellas need to be conversant with NCAA rules and regulations; they need a crach course in NCAA compliance.

NCAA doh make joke... my school football program was on probation couple yrs ago... well like we had some other violations....

next ting yuh know I get a call and dey carry me to sit down in ah room with only a table and a chair and ah ceiling fan... no lie...

A woman from NCAA walk een dress up in ah all black suit like scully... rest ah tape recorder on de table .... and start to fire questions at me....

Ah say but wha de jail is this!!! ah ask she if ah should have a lawyer present and bout meh one phone call   ;D

She say ah have to answer truthfully or I could get ban from all NCAA sports
Ah say well me eh business cuz I graduating in two weeks....
Shortly after dat de interrogation done...

she couldnt inject nutten in me nah

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2005, 01:21:25 PM »
But when you talking about recruiting international football players-them coaches don't really seemed to be concerned.  The always break the rules.  I guess it easier to sneek it past the NCAA.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2005, 03:12:02 PM »
Football king it depends on how strict your compliance division is.  We have ah shark here; nothing does pass she.  She very thorough in how she does screen international players.  If she was working here when I was playing, I might ah been declared ineligible to compete aas an amateur.  She real dread.

1]; } ?>