April 25, 2024, 03:33:06 AM

Author Topic: NBA Trades  (Read 3754 times)

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
NBA Trades
« on: July 04, 2012, 07:33:09 PM »
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8130840/sources-steve-nash-headed-los-angeles-lakers-sign-trade-deal

Sources: Steve Nash to Lakers

Steve Nash to Lakers in sign-and-trade deal. Beto Duran of ESPN LA 710 breaks down the deal.

In an unforeseen twist that could thrust the Los Angeles Lakers straight back into title contention, two-time NBA MVP Steve Nash has successfully negotiated a sign-and-trade deal from the Phoenix Suns to the Lakers that will team him up with Kobe Bryant, according to sources with knowledge of the deal.

Steve Nash statement

Nash For the last 8 seasons I've been blessed to play for a team and a city that has embraced me and that I have come to call home. This is a tough business and the only thing constant in life is change.

After talking with (owner) Robert (Sarver) and (president of basketball operations) Lon (Babby) we've agreed that it's time for both of us to move in new directions. I approached them and asked if they would be willing to do a sign and trade deal with L.A. because it is very important to me to stay near my children and family.

They were very apprehensive and didn't want to do it. Fortunately for me, they reconsidered. They saw that they were able to get assets for their team that will make them better, assets they would not have otherwise had and it made sense for them to do a deal that helps their team get better.

I couldn't be more grateful to the organization and Robert in particular. I know how hard this was for him and that fact that he was able to help me and my family in this way ... it means a lot and says a lot about his character. I will never forget this gesture. Above and beyond.

The Phoenix Suns are an amazing organization and fans should be excited about their future. I hope the Suns win a championship some day soon for all the amazing fans and wonderful people in the organization.

Sources told ESPN.com that Nash, with the New York Knicks also pressing hard to complete a similar sign-and-trade deal, was swayed to join the Lakers after a determined push from Bryant and because the move keeps him in the title hunt and allows him to stay in close proximity to his three children in Phoenix.

Nash will receive a three-year deal in excess of $25 million, sources said, because the Suns ultimately agreed to sign-and-trade him to the Lakers, who can absorb Nash via the trade exception they created by dealing Lamar Odom to the Dallas Mavericks in December.

The Suns will receive 2013 and 2015 first-round picks and 2013 and 2014 second-round picks from the Lakers, according to the Arizona Republic.

The deal can't be officially completed until July 11, when a leaguewide moratorium on new business is lifted.

The Lakers are no longer trying to retain point guard Ramon Sessions, who opted out of the final year and $4.55 million of his contract to become a free agent, a source told ESPNLosAngeles.com's Ramona Shelburne.

Sessions was hoping for the security of a longer term contract, but while discussions with the Lakers were positive, they never progressed toward a multiyear deal, the source told Shelburne.

Difficult as it is on some levels for the Suns to help the face of the franchise get to the Lakers -- especially after years of playoff battles with them in the Nash Era -- sources say team owner Robert Sarver finally agreed to the trade after yielding to a plea from Nash to send him to a destination where he could maintain the closest possible ties to his children and still chase the ring that has eluded him for 16 seasons.

The Lakers clinched the deal by surrendering the package of picks, but sources said that the Suns did decide to reward Nash for all the success he delivered over the past eight seasons.

Sending Nash to the team of his choosing ensures that the sides part on good terms after it became clear in recent days that the Suns left little doubt since free agency began Sunday at 12:01 a.m. that they were prepared to move in a different direction instead of trying to match the determined bids for Nash coming from the Toronto Raptors, Dallas Mavericks, Knicks and Lakers to retain the 38-year-old.

The Knicks were equally high on Nash's list in a sign-and-trade scenario -- he's an offseason Manhattan resident -- and the Raptors were initially seen as the favorite for Nash's services after quickly registering a three-year, $36 million offer. The Brooklyn Nets and Mavericks also pursued Nash, Dallas in particular after the Nets won the Deron Williams sweepstakes earlier Tuesday.

Yet, Nash ultimately decided that the chance to team with Bryant, Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum, the three-year deal he had been hoping for, and ability to keep a West Coast base near his children could not be passed up.

Ironically, though, Nash said just last week in a radio interview with ESPN NewYork 98.7's Stephen A. Smith and Ryan Ruocco that it would be difficult on some levels to join Miami after the Heat just won the championship or sign with the Lakers after all their playoff battles the past eight years.

"The truth is I'm a bit old school," Nash said in the June 25 interview. "For me, it would be hard to put on a Lakers jersey. That's just the way it is. You play against them so many times in the playoffs, and I just use them as an example, and I have the utmost respect for them and their organization.

"I kind of have that tendency (to try to beat the best teams), so it is strange, but as a free agent you're free to go where you want, so I'd have to consider everything regardless of the past or the future."

More on the Lakers

For more news and notes on the Lakers, check out the Land O' Lakers blog from the Kamenetzky brothers. Blog

It had been anticipated that Phoenix would offer Nash a new two-year deal worth at least $20 million, but the Arizona Republic reported Friday night that the Suns "do not appear willing to meet (Nash's) wish for a three-year deal." On draft night last week, Suns officials immediately began fighting the perception that they selected North Carolina point guard Kendall Marshall with the 13th pick as the first step in dealing with Nash's eventual departure.

Nash earned nearly $12 million last season and averaged 12.5 points and 10.7 assists for a team that, with no 20-point scorer, nearly snagged the last playoff spot in the West. The most difficult aspect of his decision, sources said, was turning down Toronto, which made the biggest financial offer to Nash in hopes of convincing Canada's best player ever to come north of the border and re-establish the Raptors as a playoff team in addition to his new role as general manager of the Canadian men's national team.

Sources told ESPN.com that Nash will try to convince longtime teammate Grant Hill, one of his closest friends in the game, to join him with the Lakers. ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher reported over the weekend the Lakers were one of four teams (along with Toronto, New York and Phoenix) in the running for Hill after the 39-year-old's recent trip to Germany to undergo the same platelet-enrichment treatment on his knee that Bryant credited for his rejuvenated knee last season.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 07:35:52 PM by royal »

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: NBA Trades
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 07:47:34 PM »
Not bad, but we need to lose the spaniard, need someone with more spunk at that position, I'd take KG.

Mods, you could move this to the laker thread if you'd like....
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 04:10:58 PM »
J lin get an offer from the rockets
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--rockets-make-offer-to-jeremy-lin.html;_ylt=ArZYe_IQPBI1a0ShpquiNnK8vLYF

i seeing on fb that j kidd signed with the knicks...things getting interesting!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 09:17:04 PM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--rockets-make-offer-to-jeremy-lin.html;_ylt=ArZYe_IQPBI1a0ShpquiNnK8vLYF

Knicks expected to match... not surprisingly.

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 11:25:32 AM »

Knicks expected to match... not surprisingly.

I could not figure out why the Rockets and Knicks are willing to pay a border line backup pg at best, 30 mil. But after hearing how much money the Knicks made from marketing j Lin last year, this might be a bargain basement price.
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 11:38:42 AM »
I could not figure out why the Rockets and Knicks are willing to pay a border line backup pg at best, 30 mil. But after hearing how much money the Knicks made from marketing j Lin last year, this might be a bargain basement price.

The Rockets desperate... the declined to pursue Aaron Brooks and in a move meant to appease Dragic, they agreed to trade Kyle Lowery ahead of time.  Dragic upset plans by spurning them for Phoenix, and the relationship with Lowery (would be my guess) was beyond repair at that point.  So onto the next best thing.  Who would you prefer, Lin or Ramon Sessions?  Also, remember that the Rockets had Lin on their roster last year before releasing him, so Darryl Morey is well-familiar with him, a point made on PTI yesterday.

The Knicks also have little choice but to match... who else will run point behind Kidd... Shumpert?  And what about long-term?  We needed cover there... Kidd is what... 40?  Plus, like you said, from a marketing standpoint it makes sense for both sides... the heavy Chinese population means that NY and San Fran would be the only places Lin could really max out on his appeal.  For the Knicks, his merchandize was top seller for the team by far last season, and for a period his Jersey was the NBA's top seller as well.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 01:50:49 PM »
if James Dolan from the Knicks matches Houston offer for Lin he's crazier than I taught.It will cost the Knicks $30m in year 3 for Lin? Yes that includes luxury tax too but Lin had Houston redo his contract .He really doesn't want to stay in New York. Yao is his confidant.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 03:37:04 PM »
if James Dolan from the Knicks matches Houston offer for Lin he's crazier than I taught.It will cost the Knicks $30m in year 3 for Lin? Yes that includes luxury tax too but Lin had Houston redo his contract .He really doesn't want to stay in New York. Yao is his confidant.

Speculative that Lin prompted the Houston offer being revised... or that Yao is advising him.  It's in both Lin's and the Knicks best interest that he stays in NY so I think this is what both sides want.  The reality though is that Lin has to make as much money as he can when he can, which is why they're testing the free agent waters in the first place.  The Knicks may still very much match the offer, especially since we just let Fields walk.  We need help in the backcourt and resigning Lin would put him and Felton as the primary point guards, with Kidd playing both guard positions when either is on the floor.  Still hard to really figure out what the front office really doing with some of these moves though.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 11:14:08 PM by Bakes »

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 09:17:48 PM »
seems very unlikely NY signin lin.....he lookin texas bound.....i get immune to de amount ah shit management does be doin.....cyar see logic in bringin ole kidd rather than keepin lin...he was drawin some big crowds.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 11:06:51 PM »
seems very unlikely NY signin lin.....he lookin texas bound.....i get immune to de amount ah shit management does be doin.....cyar see logic in bringin ole kidd rather than keepin lin...he was drawin some big crowds.

It wasn't a Kidd over Lin situation... it was supposed to be both of them.  Houston deliberately try and salt we game by putting in that ridiculous salary escalation clause in the third year.  We could match but we'd already be at $75 mil that year for just Chandler, Stoudemire and Anthony so to pay Lin what the contract would call for would invoke the luxury tax.

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 02:29:11 PM »
STAT and Melo are both black holes on the floor. Add in a PG that needs the ball in his hands and that is a recipe for disaster. The Knicks played their best ball when it was Lin, Shumpert, Tyson and Fields getting most of the run. I don't care if ppl make the argument that their opposition was weak, they were losing to those same caliber teams before that.

Melo is a phenomenal talent, but just CANNOT play in a team environment. That shit works in college, but in the pros, one man eh beating yuh. The only man who can play without the ball in NY is Chandler. If I were them, I lining up a trade of Melo for Kidd-Gilchrist plus a couple first round picks, which from Charlotte could potentially be lottery picks.

Imagine a line-up of Lin, Schumpert, Kidd-Gilchrist, Stat and Chandler. Plenty more potential than the current crop and yuh have potential franchise players in future draft picks. Bring back D'Antoni too.
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 09:37:07 PM »
So long Jeremy Lin... it's been real. You left to chase a fat third-year contract in Houston, hope your bet pays off. You were a great servant to the team, we thank you accordingly and wish you well.

Let's go Knicks!!

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 05:42:01 AM »
So long Jeremy Lin... it's been real. You left to chase a fat third-year contract in Houston, hope your bet pays off. You were a great servant to the team, we thank you accordingly and wish you well.

Let's go Knicks!!

so we know Jeremy Lin won,but which team won, Houston or New York?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 02:02:57 PM »

Let's go Knicks!!

so we know Jeremy Lin won,but which team won, Houston or New York?

Honestly, I don't think either team won.  Hard to really understand Houston's philosophy.  They really wanted to keep Dragic, Lin is their back up plan.  Dragic wanted out and went to Phoenix, but they had a good #2 in Kyle Lowry.  I really don't understand why they traded him to sign Lin... and for that much money.  They better pray that Lin work out or else they'll look real foolish.  Personally, I think Lin will be decent for them, but not a star, still too many holes in his game and without good players around him (Howard likely to end up in LA now), hard to see him developing.

The Knicks aren't the losers some are making them out to be, especially the idiot fans.  The way the cap works is that the first $4,999,999 is taxed at a rate of $1.50 for every dollar over the tax line... meaning $7,499,999 in tax payments. The next $5 million to $9,999,999 is taxed at a rate of $1.75 per dollar over the tax line, bringing that total to $8,749,998. The final $10 million to $14,800,00 is taxed at a rate of $2.50 for every dollar, bringing that total to $12,000,000.

Add it all up and the final tax tally in 2014-15 would be $28,249,997. Together with his base salary of $14.8 million, that would bring Lin's total cost to the Knicks in the third year to $43,049,997. Lin would have understood most, if not all of this, and how difficult it would be for the Knicks to match the re-worked offer. The Knicks 'won' by not falling for the sentimental trap of paying that much for an unproven player, but they taking a huge PR beating right now (unjustly so), and will miss out a a great marketing opportunity by letting him walk.

1]; } ?>