March 29, 2024, 12:09:42 AM

Author Topic: Sailing: Lewis eager to compete in Olympics  (Read 3362 times)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Sailing: Lewis eager to compete in Olympics
« on: July 07, 2012, 12:42:32 AM »
http://www.newsday.co.tt/sport/0,162873.html

Lewis eager to compete in Olympics
By JONATHAN RAMNANANSINGH
Friday, July 6 2012

OLYMPIC-bound local Laser Class sailor, Andrew Lewis is eager to compete in his first Olympic Games in London England, July 27- August 12.

Lewis, who is already in London, will be using the last few weeks to complete his athletic progress. He explained that the final sessions were going well thus far, and were crucial to his overall development. In a recent interview with the sailor, Lewis stated, “I’m just finalising all my preparations for the Olympics. My coach and I have been working a lot and getting in as much time on the water. We’re working rigorously with three sessions a day. One in the morning for fitness, on the water between two to three hours in the middle of the day, and back on to do some cardio in the evening. This is because we have the feeling it’s going to be a very windy event and it takes a lot of fitness and cardio. I want to get very accustomed to the conditions here (London).”

The 22-year-old sailor admitted that the anxiety was building in him ahead of his Olympic-berth. However, Lewis was certain that he would not be deterred by this and will also be using the final days to acclimatise himself to the atmosphere and aura of the world’s biggest sporting event.

“In the venue where the sailing would take place, it’s a bit overwhelming at the start but I’m getting used to it and I’m feeling a lot more comfortable now. On July 9, I will return from my final but small competition in France, to join the rest of the team to close off on my final training,” he added.

The budding sailor missed qualifying for the Olympics by seven places at the 2011 International Sailing Federation (ISAF) Sailing World Championships in Perth. But, Lewis capitalised on his second opportunity at the Audi World Laser Championships in Germany, and was good enough to clinch one of the 12 available Olympic spots.

Speaking on his current form, the flourishing sailor also heaped praises on his current coach for his determination and loyalty to him as an athlete.

“I think I’m about 85 percent of where I want to be. I have enough time to get to that 100 percent mark. I think that my coach is a very experienced person and I have a lot of confidence in him. He has assured me that once we cover what we need to, I should be more than ready for the first event of sailing on the 30th of July.”

Lewis’ performance in the near future will be the first ever local sailor to ever compete in the Laser Class event at the Olympic Games.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Lewis still looking for sponsorship
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 08:28:26 AM »
http://www.newsday.co.tt/sport/0,163399.html

Lewis still looking for sponsorship
By RENALDO MATADEEN
Monday, July 16 2012

Laser-class sailor, Andrew Lewis, is in the home stretch of his Olympic preparation for the summer Games in London but he has revealed that he is still seeking financial aid to seal his quest for gold.

“I am currently actively looking for sponsorships to help in my preparation for the games as I still have outstanding commitments to settle. Funding remains a critical issue and we (Lewis’ management) are working hard to raise the necessary finances,” he relayed.

Lewis conveyed gratitude to his current sponsors also but indicated that it was a strenuous process to be a fully-funded sailor heading to the Olympics. He added that he incurred costs in his Olympic quest and its payback process was very consuming, especially as the sport is not the most popular locally.

“Funding is always a challenge. It has been difficult to source for different reasons with one of them being the popularity of my sport. I have received support from the Ministry of Sport as I have been placed on their Elite Athlete programme,” he shared.

He further added, “Several other corporate entities such as Bmobile, Oasis, Diproinduca, Beacon and the Sport Company of Trinidad and Tobago have also signed on as sponsors for the campaign. I have also received help from other organisations like the Trinidad and Tobago Olympic committee in various ways.”

Lewis urged a unified effort among the sailing boards and the Ministry of Sport in TT to mitigate potential future problems for aspiring sailors domestically.

“There is a lot of work that needs to be done. There has to be a coming together of all the boards and Ministries. It has to be a team effort.

We need to set up more sailing schools and create a sailing circuit on the island. Once we can get everyone in the same room and discuss what needs to happen moving forward I think it will be successful. We live in the Caribbean and have to capitalise on that advantage,” he continued.

Lewis divulged that these measures would be crucial to ensuring future sailors do not endure these financial tribulations. He also indicated that after recent European training sessions and regattas, he felt that he was ready to medal for TT.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Sailing: Lewis eager to compete in Olympics
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 08:12:04 PM »
Say that eh so! this people home cah be serious.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Sailing: Lewis eager to compete in Olympics
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 07:23:01 PM »
Just listened to him on an interview (KAB as well), best of luck Lewis!
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

1]; } ?>