March 28, 2024, 05:16:21 PM

Author Topic: Atheism, science or cult?  (Read 7103 times)

truetrini

Re: Atheism, science or cult?
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2012, 09:28:44 AM »

NONSENSE!

If you assert something is..you prove it.  Are you aware of the scientific method?   YOU say XYZ science demands you prove it in the lab or otherwise,it is peer reviewed, replicated and verified. No blind shit about faith!  That cannot even meet the standard of a scientific theory

This is true if one is trying to make a scientific claim... but that's not the case here.  Your stance here is similar to Dinho's in that thread about Jack Warner being named Min. of National Security... where he challenged us to name a better candidate.  Classic burden shifting... he's correct that Jack is the best candidate because we cannot name a better candidate (even though we don't have all the facts to prove a better candidate does or does not exist).

Here you claim there is no God and challenge us to prove there is... even though we don't have all the FACTS to prove or disprove the existence of God.  It's one of the more elementary logical fallacies.

My response was to a suggestion that I prove God exists as a man of science.

Yuh talking my post out of context!

I well know that NO ONE can ever prove God exists, because there is no God!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 09:44:52 AM by truetrini SC »

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2012, 09:39:30 AM »
I got so tired of asking tough questions just to get a stupid answer.

I have these issues too, but I try to respect peoples right to believe, I only take issue some religious peoples' unwillingness to  critically and cautiously apply the bible to said faith, the thing is much of the stupid answers pretty much stems from the notion that questioning the contents of the bible absolutely wrong regardless of what is written
I pity the fool....

truetrini

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2012, 09:44:30 AM »
Pope Ratzinger:

"Religious liberty can not justify freedom for divergence. This freedom does not aim at any freedom relative truth, but concerns the free descicion for a person to, according to his moral inclinations accept the truth."

Let them believe all they want. 

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2012, 10:33:43 AM »

You can take your signature from Hebrews all you want.

And I don't harangue believers it is the believers who harangue me.

I made a post that is all over the news feeds and justcool and to a lesser extent, you come with allyuh atheist shit.

If someone makes a post about religion out of a so called Holy Book, I am well within my rights to question it if there is no scientific basis to it.  ESPECIALLY if that person is trying to convince me that there is some science to it.

Let me bring you up to speed, I am well aware of the difference between faith and organized religion, in fact faith and religion are too separate things.

Imagine you tell me that I harangue believers, yet I am the one called dummy for believing hard cold scientific facts such as Natural selection!  Go figure.

I think it is easier to believe what I can see and prove over some argument from incredulity..that becasue we have no proof of something...as yet.....that it must have come from God.  That is a load of crapola.

I heard from several here over time the following:

You have faith when you sat in that chair.

You have faith when you start your car.

You have faith you will wake up each morning.

I have sat in many chairs before and they safely held me...so my faith is justified.

Sure, after I took it for a test drive and verified it runs. It since then has started up and proven itself trustworthy and reliable. Now the other car, not so much. The battery was dead (went bad) and it never started unless jumped. So my faith in that car went away. Then I replaced the battery and behold it runs now. Faith restored. But an earned faith.

Sure, after I was old enough to understand faith and was able to think. As a new born baby up until now I have had a daily experience called waking up. So I have had plenty of evidence to enable me to have faith.

So why don't you have faith in god?

Faith in something invisible and faith in something visible are two different things. I have faith in things I use each day because I have seen them work and even understand how they work. I spent many years in church and god has yet to earn my faith. At times I really did have faith and prayed, read the Bible and all that stuff. How many centuries did Christians believe and have faith the sun revolved around the earth?

Faith is something that is earned. Telling me to “just have faith” does nothing but lock me into your ideas and religion. It seems silly to just believe in something without real solid evidence to support it. If I lack faith I am accused on doubting god and hit with some guilt trip. Can you say “cult tactics”?

Blind faith is a dangerous tool that ruins lives. My faith in my car, waking up or a chair is not blind, but earned from working examples and evidence I have encountered throughout my life.

Bible says.

“Lean not on your own understanding, but in all your ways acknowledge him and he will direct your paths.”

What you are really being told is stop thinking on your own, listen to what others tell you about God and believe that, stop asking questions, apply faith.  Trouble is Faith in what?  Sounds like the shit they fed black people in the Southern USA for years while Jim Crow hung over their heads!

“Well, you just didn't have enough faith!”

With the faith of a mustard seed you could move mountains according to the Bible. Yeah right!  When it does not happen for you, the answer is It was not in God’s will.   

The same warmed over generic answers? Answers like:

“God only knows”
    “God has his reasons”
    “God works in strange and mysterious ways”
    “We cant know the ways of god”
    “You just gotta have faith”

Some old warmed over answers. Nothing really solid to hang onto. It's simple really. Since Christians aren't allowed to think they have to repeat everything that is taught them. For years that is all you hear answer wise.

I got so tired of asking tough questions just to get a stupid answer.

this is a well articulated overview of non-spiritual faith but the "bolded" part is certainly not true for me. And as far I know, no one is forcing you to adopt spiritual faith.

In my experience with the Anglican Church of Canada, I don't get the "warmed over answers" that you quoted. In fact, I remember a past Bishop of the Diocese of Huron stating that if we don't question our belief and faith in God, then we are truly lost. I must admit, that comment caught me by surprise and I can say that was a turning point in my spiritual journey.

So, this is one Christian who does not take the Bible literally, this is one Christian who accepts science (in fact my undergrad degrees are in physics and engineering and I rely on science to make a living), this is one Christian who questions the unbalances I see in the world everyday and try to understand why the Biblical God will allow this, this is one Christian who does not quote "it is the will of God" to explain away bad things. Maybe for some this make me un-Christian, but probably that is why I don't belong to their church nor they mine. Yeah, I agree with you that Blind Faith is a dangerous tool. Blind faith is a cult. That is not my kind of religion.

The reason why I say you "haranguing' the believers is that more often than not, you preface your posts with some acerbic remark about religion that paints all believers with the same brush. that is why in this case, I felt compelled to response.

I have no argument with atheists. What I object to is the constant attack on religion when one can argue that science has failed mankind in many regards as well.  I don't, because typically when "science fails", it is really man's failure in using the results of science in a negative fashion. No different in the way some people of religion use it negatively.

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

truetrini

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2012, 11:10:29 AM »
What parts of the Bible you do not take literally?  lol

I preface my post with God is Great, and This is Christian love...that is Haranguing?

The Bishop of Canada saying that you should question your faith is nothing special, if that is all it took to make a turn in your spiritual journey all I can is did not take much..same mindless journey.

You believe in a personal God and salvation?  Anyway the Anglican Church of Canada has little moral authority to declare anything to me!  I distinctly remember the sex and physical abuse scandal with aboriginal children.  SOme children burned with cigarettes and punched in the ear so hard they lost their hearing. 

A legacy of shame!

truetrini

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2012, 11:20:50 AM »
I went to trinity College, an Anglican Church, was raised an Anglican went Sunday school at All Saints, Abdullah was Bishop...nasty stinking The Very Rev'd R.I.Colin Sampson, Dean and Rector of the Cathedral of the Holy Trinity.  Likes to bull little boys, I remember one day when studying to go to Codrington..yeah I was planning to go there, I see a little indian boy from Fatima walk in the rectory with Sampson and come out with he clothes rumpled and a big hickey on he neck.

Not me sir...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2012, 11:34:50 AM »
Well it's a good thing Atheists doh bull little boys... or commit any of these ills that you attribute to Christianity.  Whew, what a relief!

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2012, 11:46:48 AM »
This is true if one is trying to make a scientific claim... but that's not the case here.  Your stance here is similar to Dinho's in that thread about Jack Warner being named Min. of National Security... where he challenged us to name a better candidate.  Classic burden shifting... he's correct that Jack is the best candidate because we cannot name a better candidate (even though we don't have all the facts to prove a better candidate does or does not exist).

Here you claim there is no God and challenge us to prove there is... even though we don't have all the FACTS to prove or disprove the existence of God.  It's one of the more elementary logical fallacies.

I agree with this in part. God is an article of faith and as such cannot be proven. Science is not really used to disprove that God is real, just used to show that there is no objective evidence of such.

I think that the problem is that people do put forward phenomena as examples of God that really can’t be proven as being attributed to God. Good science can disprove all these examples and still leave the possibility that there can be an, as yet unproven, God.

JC gone to the other extreme putting forward God as real and challenging people to prove otherwise. Obvioously that is a useless exercise.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2012, 11:54:16 AM »

I preface my post with God is Great, and This is Christian love...that is Haranguing?

The Bishop of Canada saying that you should question your faith is nothing special, if that is all it took to make a turn in your spiritual journey all I can is did not take much..same mindless journey.

You believe in a personal God and salvation?  Anyway the Anglican Church of Canada has little moral authority to declare anything to me!  I distinctly remember the sex and physical abuse scandal with aboriginal children.  SOme children burned with cigarettes and punched in the ear so hard they lost their hearing. 

A legacy of shame!

I have already acknowledged the atrocities committed by religious people.  Yep they have a monopoly on abuse. No one else abuses little boys.

Yeah yeah, yeah and your response is that religious people should be held to a higher standard because they invoke the name of God etc. etc, etc.

Evil is evil is evil whether religious based on not.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2012, 11:55:00 AM »
I went to trinity College, an Anglican Church, was raised an Anglican went Sunday school at All Saints, Abdullah was Bishop...nasty stinking The Very Rev'd R.I.Colin Sampson, Dean and Rector of the Cathedral of the Holy Trinity.  Likes to bull little boys, I remember one day when studying to go to Codrington..yeah I was planning to go there, I see a little indian boy from Fatima walk in the rectory with Sampson and come out with he clothes rumpled and a big hickey on he neck.

Not me sir...

right ....

truetrini

« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2012, 12:07:32 PM »

A legacy of shame!

I have already acknowledged the atrocities committed by religious people.  Yep they have a monopoly on abuse. No one else abuses little boys.

Yeah yeah, yeah and your response is that religious people should be held to a higher standard because they invoke the name of God etc. etc, etc.

Exactly.   And yes evil is evil, but religious not supposed to be evil.  Not so?  A light for the lost like me...?  Not so?  Answer truthfully.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 12:11:26 PM by truetrini SC »

truetrini

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2012, 12:08:06 PM »

Not me sir...

right ....

You say right...is that a yuh lie right?   Sampson does f**k little boys.

truetrini

« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2012, 12:08:29 PM »
Well it's a good thing Atheists doh bull little boys... or commit any of these ills that you attribute to Christianity.  Whew, what a relief!

Atheists are not proclaiming to commune with God, nor are they religious leaders who represent God.  There is a big difference.

Don't try to play that part down. 

Can show that atheists are organized and shield each other from such heinous crimes as child sexual abuse. Can you show where atheists are sued for decades upon decades (perhaps centuries) of child sexual and physical abuse?

You are a smart man, you know that the Church has failed!  And failed in a colossal manner.

And JDB, you are correct, science cannot as of yet declare that there is evidence that disproves a God. But the incredulity argument that science cannot explain it so it must be God is shit.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2012, 12:14:27 PM »

A legacy of shame!

Exactly.   And yes evil is evil, but religious not supposed to be evil.  Not so?  A light for the lost like me...?  Not so?  Answer truthfully.

You are correct. But it is not religion per se that commits the atrocities. It is man taking advantage of the situation.  And that is the point I have being trying to make in this whole exchange.

truetrini

« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2012, 12:22:11 PM »

You are correct. But it is not religion per se that commits the atrocities. It is man taking advantage of the situation.  And that is the point I have being trying to make in this whole exchange.

Off course is man taking advantage of the situation, religion is a construct, it is nothing but an idea, man made religion!..lol  BUT....Would you agree that some religious organizations have shielded these men for many, many many years, moving them around as the allegations swirl and gain momentum?  That they deny the atrocities? 

That some of the leaders who are heralded as God's representative on earth are corrupt nasty f**kers?  That the entire hierarchy of these organizations are built on lies?

truetrini

« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2012, 12:24:46 PM »
I bet you that if you belonged to the Lions Club or the Rotary club and it was revealed that they have been for years sexually abusing Children and using their name of being a great social service organization to hide their crimes yuh would leave dem and disavow dem first allegation.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2012, 12:46:52 PM »

Atheists are not proclaiming to commune with God, nor are they religious leaders who represent God.  There is a big difference.

Don't try to play that part down. 

Can show that atheists are organized and shield each other from such heinous crimes as child sexual abuse. Can you show where atheists are sued for decades upon decades (perhaps centuries) of child sexual and physical abuse?

You are a smart man, you know that the Church has failed!  And failed in a colossal manner.

And JDB, you are correct, science cannot as of yet declare that there is evidence that disproves a God. But the incredulity argument that science cannot explain it so it must be God is shit.

Look stop talking shit.  You want to blame the failings of a few Christians on all of Christianity then be my guest, but don't come with yuh foolishness acting as though this is a problem with Christians as opposed to some who call themselves Christians.  The Bible itself says that many will come in [Jesus'] name and claim to be prophets, paraphrasing, will claim to represent Christ and his teachings.  He made it clear that these are false prophets...and anyone with an iota of intelligence will readily be able to distinguish between those who corrupt the tenets of Christianity for their own purposes, and the teachings of Christ himself. 

You steady bitching about abuses by individuals and failures of "the church" but cannot point to anything inherent to the faith that encourages, promotes of abets these abuses.  You seem incapable or unwilling to separate the two and that is a failing only you can address, but don't come here talking shit and carrying on as though is absolute and perfect sense yuh making.

truetrini

« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2012, 01:10:28 PM »
It is always not the Religion it is always the man, how is then a religion without the adherents?

Bullshit!

You are wrong though there is much about the "faith" that encourages the rape and abuse of innocents.

How bad does a long-established massive international pedophilic child abuse organization have to be?

What does it take, how many hundreds of thousands of innocent children have to be defiled and humiliated and abused before the whole thing – priests, parishes, bishoprics, diocese, nunneries, the whole shebang – gets closed own and wrapped with yellow crime tape, everyone arrested?

Answer that!

Right under John Paul’s express authority and supervision, Benedict (current pope) was in charge of investigating child abuse and rape in his Holy ordained role as Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, and what the two of them did with their power and authority was systematically cover it all up for as long as they could.

On their watch hundreds – perhaps thousands – of child rapists were hidden, protected, and set back upon unsuspecting communities and their innocent children, all the while wearing the full authority of The Church of Rome, their collar and cassock carrying the imprimatur of apostolic infallibility.

What about the faith you ask?

The Roman Catholic Church is a cult of torture, abuse, and sexual exploitation. It has been so since the inception. For nearly two thousand years, the Papist throne has in the name of all that is holy rejected, rebuked and defiled the teachings of the god they claim to revere.

The US  Church’s doctrinal office elected to proceed with church trials for less than 10% of the 3000 cases of abuse reported to them between the years of 2000 and 2010. 

This man sent a letter to Bishops threatening to throw them out of the church if they fail. “Breaching the pontifical secret at any time while the 10 year jurisdiction order is operating carries penalties, including the threat of excommunication.”  This had to deal with child sexual abuse.

How is this excuseable and separate from the "faith?"

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2012, 03:11:01 PM »

Not me sir...

right ....

You say right...is that a yuh lie right?   Sampson does f**k little boys.

look, the RC church has covered up abuse and moved priest around without addressing the situation. I have no argument there.

Yet, I went to CIC for two years and was even in the 6th Trinidad sea scouts. The priests I encountered never behaved inappropriately. On the contrary, they guided and led and for that I am a better person. That is the type of religion and church I defend.

The Anglicans are no saints too. In Canada, as you so correctly pointed out, the abuse that the First Nation children were subjected to in the residential schools can never be excused. However, the present hierarchy of the Anglican Church of Canada have not hidden or shied away from past malfeasance and have issued apologies and settlements.

Truth and Reconciliation - Residential Schools

Apology

Ultimately the ACC paid for the settlements (not that money will fix the trauma, but at least it will help) with one Diocese declaring bankruptcy and assets liquidated.

So the ACC put their money where their mouth.

I am not so much defending my religion as I am trying to illustrate that not all Christians or Muslims for that matter, should be subjected to the same scorn as the abusers and corrupt ones.

Either you abandon the church or stay and try to make it a better place.

PS, I eh know about Sampson. I tried googling him and found his profile. He only became a priest in 1980. How ole you is? I thought you were in your 50's. How could you be observing Sampson back then? If you were an adult, what prevented you from exposing him? I also checked his Interest in his profile and it made no mention of liking little Indian boys. Only classical music swimming and other mundane stuff.

Finally, I eh trying to impose any moral authority on you.

Religion is not for everyone but for some, it does work, regardless of your opinion that Religion is a crock.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2012, 04:33:33 PM »
This is my point exactly, pecan. this man will do anything in order to avoid the issue, and the issue was , and still is, atheism has fack all to do with science! so allyuh please stop attributing science to this man, he has no interest in science, but instead he's anti GOD, religion, theism.

like i said before, science is the method used to figure out and trouble shoot our existence and the universe, in layman terms, the dynamics of science is explaining the creation, just like nature is the natural order of things, but nature is not an entity, and so is science.

real science is all about facts and truth seeking, and the atheist community are not truth seeker, this is why i called it a cult and a religion like unto theism, bc they are taking a strong position without any conclusive proof.

go back in TT post and see how many times he said out right, "there is "NO" GOD," just go back as far as you can and read his past post on this subject, you will find every time where he express this phrase "there is "NO" GOD", with absolution, not "i'm not sure is there a god,  i don't believe there is a god, or i'm not sure bout that, no, just like crick , dawkins and bill maher who all make definite claims that the existence of god is a fallacy, now should i not put these people in the category of belief systems, after all, what are they doing so different from fella like TD jakes and creeflow dollar? pushing their beliefs on others.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 05:22:09 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2012, 04:35:31 PM »
eh pecan, ah bet yuh anything that the mad bull will come back name calling and cussin instead of defending his position amicably, yuh wanna bet? he never disappoints.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2012, 05:53:50 PM »
MR JDB, i know it's hard to swallow, but atheism is ah movement as well as a cult, and very much so an ideology. and yes they do have gatherings and convention to celebrate their common beliefs.

like you also forgetting that there are/were countries in the world where religion is out law, and ppl went to jail for practicing religion bc the sociaty was predicated on atheism which was the order of the day. vladimire lennin said that he was going to model russia as the consummate atheistic country.

i have to admit that i didn't really mean that they are as a religion in the same light as a god based faith, but more so in the light of an ideal that takes precedent and trumps most things in their life, which in any case does not represent science, bc science is neutral. check out this clip , from minute 13:55 -14:35.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr6uvUNJLww&feature=related

you said they are not organized as religion, and i beg to differ. it's a known fact that they are becoming quite the movement and is more organized than ever these days. they have magazines, conventions,

here's some evidence of that.   
http://www.atheistconvention.org.au/
http://atheistsunited.org/affiliated-organizations
http://www.christianpost.com/news/imagine-no-religion-canadian-atheist-convention-sells-out-75124/
http://bigthink.com/daylight-atheism/why-do-atheists-gather
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 06:34:41 PM by just cool »

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2012, 06:29:51 PM »
Now i could get with this scientist, and i don't mean the creationist, but the atheist jason wiles, he's honest and forth coming. he also doesn't attribute atheism to science, and doesn't say with certainty that there's no divinity, and this is my beef in a nut shell.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr6uvUNJLww&feature=related

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2012, 07:38:39 PM »
It is always not the Religion it is always the man, how is then a religion without the adherents?

Bullshit!

You are wrong though there is much about the "faith" that encourages the rape and abuse of innocents.

How bad does a long-established massive international pedophilic child abuse organization have to be?

What does it take, how many hundreds of thousands of innocent children have to be defiled and humiliated and abused before the whole thing – priests, parishes, bishoprics, diocese, nunneries, the whole shebang – gets closed own and wrapped with yellow crime tape, everyone arrested?

Answer that!

Right under John Paul’s express authority and supervision, Benedict (current pope) was in charge of investigating child abuse and rape in his Holy ordained role as Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, and what the two of them did with their power and authority was systematically cover it all up for as long as they could.

On their watch hundreds – perhaps thousands – of child rapists were hidden, protected, and set back upon unsuspecting communities and their innocent children, all the while wearing the full authority of The Church of Rome, their collar and cassock carrying the imprimatur of apostolic infallibility.

What about the faith you ask?

The Roman Catholic Church is a cult of torture, abuse, and sexual exploitation. It has been so since the inception. For nearly two thousand years, the Papist throne has in the name of all that is holy rejected, rebuked and defiled the teachings of the god they claim to revere.

The US  Church’s doctrinal office elected to proceed with church trials for less than 10% of the 3000 cases of abuse reported to them between the years of 2000 and 2010. 

This man sent a letter to Bishops threatening to throw them out of the church if they fail. “Breaching the pontifical secret at any time while the 10 year jurisdiction order is operating carries penalties, including the threat of excommunication.”  This had to deal with child sexual abuse.

How is this excuseable and separate from the "faith?"

Does the Roman Catholic church encompass ALL of Christianity?  I finding it increasingly hard to bite my tongue in addressing you on this so leh we just leave it where it is and move on.

truetrini

« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2012, 09:58:46 PM »
I dd report Sampson to  Knolly Clarke  he get ordained after that, what you expected after Abdullah allowed Father John Sewell to leave T&T for Ireland under cover of darkness  when he was being investigated for raping/molesting over 300 little black boys in T&T?

Expected anything else?

Sampson was a Deacon long before he became a "Father'" fella...long before, I know this creature since late 70's.  Go research some more.

He also told me that Jesus was Gay and used to have his beloved John lay his head on his breast.  Sick f**k that he is.

truetrini

« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2012, 04:04:28 PM »
Confidence in organized religion hits all-time low in Gallup poll

gallup.com

By Jason White, msnbc.com

Americans' confidence in religious institutions has hit an all-time low, with only 44 percent expressing a "great deal" of confidence in organized religion, according to a new Gallup survey.

Follow @msnbc_us

This follows a downward trend since the 1970s, when 68 percent of Americans had a high degree of confidence.

Gallup cites two big blows to confidence in organized religion: 1980s scandals involving televangelists like Jim Bakker and the Catholic sex abuse scandal in the 2000s.

Perhaps as an outgrowth of the abuse scandal, Catholics lag far behind Protestants in their confidence in the church, by a margin of 10 percentage points.

But the scandals of recent decades, and the ensuing lack of confidence in organized religion, are not necessarily affecting the importance of religion in peoples' lives, Gallup finds.

"While various sex abuse scandals involving U.S. clerics have likely played a role in Americans' growing skepticism about the church and organized religion, the decline in confidence does not necessarily indicate a decline in Americans' personal attachment to religion," writes Lydia Saad of Gallup. "The percentage of Americans saying religion is very important in their lives has held fairly steady since the mid-1970s, after dropping sharply from 1952 levels."

It's also worth noting that organized religion is far from the only institution in which Americans are losing confidence. Americans also are souring on schools, banks and television news, according to Gallup's survey.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/12/12706531-confidence-in-organized-religion-hits-all-time-low-in-gallup-poll?lite

1]; } ?>