May 01, 2024, 02:13:10 PM

Author Topic: Interesting Documentary: The Race that Shocked the World!  (Read 7868 times)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Interesting Documentary: The Race that Shocked the World!
« on: July 18, 2012, 02:06:00 PM »
Daniel Gordon's documentary looks at the legacy of the men's 100-metre final at the 1988 Seoul Olympics, when gold medallist Ben Johnson tested positive for anabolic steroids and scandal reigned.
For the first time ever, the eight athletes who ran in that infamous race tell their story.

The Race that Shocked the World!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/3Skg3-eoxq4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/3Skg3-eoxq4</a>
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 09:16:54 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Documentary: The Race that Shocked the World!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 04:42:20 PM »
Someone told me about the growth hormones and the impact on teeth (especially women) almost 20 years ago, and I have been observing.

It is interesting that even Carl Lewis was wearing braces in the 1987 final, and that so many US and even some Jamaican women sprinters have been seen wearing braces from the 1990s to present day.

Was it to "pretty up" themselves with the new-found money in their pockets, or something else? How come so many of them simultaneously decided it was time to "straighten" their teeth? I mean it was almost like a fad from the mid-90s through 2005 and beyond, to see smiling, victorious sprinters wearing them during post-race interviews.

Just saying!!

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 04:54:05 PM »
Someone told me about the growth hormones and the impact on teeth (especially women) almost 20 years ago, and I have been observing.

It is interesting that even Carl Lewis was wearing braces in the 1987 final, and that so many US and even some Jamaican women sprinters have been seen wearing braces from the 1990s to present day.

Was it to "pretty up" themselves with the new-found money in their pockets, or something else? How come so many of them simultaneously decided it was time to "straighten" their teeth? I mean it was almost like a fad from the mid-90s through 2005 and beyond, to see smiling, victorious sprinters wearing them during post-race interviews.

Just saying!!
So whay yuh saying?! That athletes who were wearing braces and pretending to be clean were as dirty as sin?!   :devil:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 05:01:43 PM »
Not all of them, but don't you find it peculiar that soooo many sprinters in their adulthood all of a sudden decide to get braces?  Really?

Not even Marion Jones with her "weirdly placed" canines wore braces, yet others with seemingly normal teeth were all of a sudden in need of dental care. They aren't comfortable so if you have to wear them it is a "decision".

Come on now!!

But hell, it was an expert on the documentary that said it.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 05:23:23 PM by STMB »

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 08:37:02 PM »
Scary! Thanks for this. I going to save this video. Anybody remember Shawn Crawford? A few years back?

Documents missing from 88, Lawd. I find the man should of call names though.

Stueps I wonder who else they never catch
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 08:38:36 PM by D.H.W »
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

truetrini

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 12:00:39 AM »
Itis my strongest belief that 7 of the runners in that 1988 100m race were druggists.   If they had to give Gold based on running clean only the Brazilian is likely to be drug free.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 06:56:13 AM »
I remember in either LA or Barca Olimpics(I more believe LA), Gene Samuel was in a 3rd place position for the bronze and on the final ride a Euro posted a  hell of a time to win the gold. Gene was 4th. I felt so disappointed. I had or still have this suspicion about them Euro cyclist. Am I bias because Gene did not win? YES!!!!

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 11:09:39 AM »

Did not realize it had a thread for this already. Here is an updated link to the video

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/3Skg3-eoxq4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/3Skg3-eoxq4</a>
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 09:15:38 AM by Socapro »
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 02:30:56 PM »
I remember in either LA or Barca Olimpics(I more believe LA), Gene Samuel was in a 3rd place position for the bronze and on the final ride a Euro posted a  hell of a time to win the gold. Gene was 4th. I felt so disappointed. I had or still have this suspicion about them Euro cyclist. Am I bias because Gene did not win? YES!!!!

LA 84 Olympics
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

1]; } ?>