April 26, 2024, 09:52:17 AM

Author Topic: National Aquatic Centre Thread.  (Read 5023 times)

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
National Aquatic Centre Thread.
« on: July 22, 2012, 10:03:11 PM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/Roberts__Construction_for__velodrome__pool_starting_soon-163313886.html

Roberts: Construction for velodrome, pool starting soon
By Roger Seepersad
Story Created: Jul 21, 2012 at 10:57 PM ECT

Construction of the Aquatic Centre, Cycling Velodrome and National Tennis Centre is set to begin, and Minister of Sport Anil Roberts hopes that all three facilities will be ready for a December 2013 opening.

The National Tennis Centre will be constructed in Tacarigua, while the Aquatic Centre is earmarked for Mucurapo and the Cycling Velodrome, Mount Hope.

"The final designs are in. The access road and site preparation is being completed as we speak today (Friday). The Ministry of Finance is releasing the first tranche of $112 million to get the actual construction underway, but site preparation is complete...contract, MOU, everything is ready to go," Roberts told the media during a visit to the Sport Company's (SPORTT) Youth Sport Camp at Marlins Swimming Pool in Westmoorings on Friday.

"The final designs have been approved for the Aquatic Centre, Velodrome and the National Tennis Centre so we are on time and we want to remain on budget so that we are looking at December 2013 opening for all of these international facilities," Roberts added.

He noted the importance of the facilities to the country's Sport Tourism thrust and said he was pleased with the progress of the projects so far.

He the facilities were also important for T&T to become the Mecca of training for elite sport and that they will also provide opportunities for sport for all.

"We are very happy with the progress. It has been a long time in coming. The Aquatic Centre was promised in 1966 by the great Dr Eric Williams and it very ironic or important in our 50th year anniversary that the construction is beginning in earnest on a pool promised by the father of the nation in 1966," Roberts added.

The Minister added that the facilities will be up to international standards.

He said: "We are proud about what we are doing and we will ensure we have world class facilities. The architects (and) consultants have visited not only the Bubble in Beijing, but the London Olympic Pool, that is set to be one of the most economically, environmentally friendly and a fantastic technologically advanced facilities.

"We have visited them to ensure that what we will have here in Trinidad and Tobago will be second to none" he added.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 07:08:34 AM by Flex »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Re: Roberts: Construction for velodrome, pool starting soon
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 07:50:01 AM »
Where exactly in Mucurapo is there free land for a Swimming Centre?
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 09:23:44 AM »
I can't ask for  tennis, & cycling, but why put a major pool, right dab next to the currently used most major pool in the country, in Westmoorings. Why not enhance, refurbish Westmoorings, and do the new pool in a Central area..I'm guessing Curepe. Why keep all the money on that side of POS? I understand yuh don't always want visitors driving through labasse daily from the hotels, but how will anywhere/ anybody else develop, if you keep the business and facilities in only one area..,.then again it's possible that I don't know the correct demographics, cause I don't live there.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 03:45:33 PM »
At this point in our history beggars can't be choosers. I would have preferred to see those 3 facilities built in one place. Either in Tacarigua, Mt Hope or even next to Ato Bolden in Couva. Everything just scattered all over the place. But like I said these facilities are long over due. Cycling and Swimming more than any other of the sports have been begging for years for these facilities. I hope the swimming and cycling  will be covered. Especially cycling. The area in Mucurapo is a piece of land called Powder Magazine, somewhere past the stadium. I ihave heard that the swimming association either own or lease the land. I am not sure.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 07:13:43 AM »
I can't ask for  tennis, & cycling, but why put a major pool, right dab next to the currently used most major pool in the country, in Westmoorings. Why not enhance, refurbish Westmoorings, and do the new pool in a Central area..I'm guessing Curepe. Why keep all the money on that side of POS? I understand yuh don't always want visitors driving through labasse daily from the hotels, but how will anywhere/ anybody else develop, if you keep the business and facilities in only one area..,.then again it's possible that I don't know the correct demographics, cause I don't live there.

Don't really see your point about the pool being in POS.
When the Lara Cricket stadium is finished, along with the hockey, cycling and tennis facilities - they will all be outside of POS. So for one out of the five to be in town is no big thing.
Obviously all the money is not being kept in POS.

I would not have had a problem with a multi sport facility, eg. swimming/tennis about a mile down the Uriah highway or even between Baratari to UWI if there is land for it. After all it must be a pain in the ass for all the top athletes to have to travel from East and South all the time to POS.

However, after the fiasco of the Taruba, nothing wrong with the present plan. Will probably get finished faster (fingers crossed  ;D)

VB

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 12:48:50 PM »
Don't really have an issue with facilities being built in POS or anywhere. I just have an issue with having 2 major pools relatively next to each other..
eg...I don't know, but thanks for the info.. If you have the most widely used international cricket ground at the Oval, would you build the new National Cricket training centre in Diego because some acres of land available there ? Won't it be more beneficial and be of more service to have them further apart, and both be able to serve many more communities around & in between ?

Not knocking the projects, just the locations...when planning I try not to leave out anything because it not a big deal..but location is always a big deal...as far as swimming is concerned, from my observations, what we need to have is more people swimming.when I visited, we stayed in St Augustine, we had a couple workouts with Swima at Marlins/Westmoorings. I drove - 1st time in TT. Saturday morning(7am) no problem, down the Churchill Roosevelt Highway, take Beetham highway, audrey jeffers Highway, Westernmain Road..no problem...however, when we had to get there for (can't remember exactly what time), but rush hour, weekday..well that was the end of that...I think it's basically the same route to Mucurapo...now swimming is not cheap on time, at the competitive level it requires daily practice/training even at a young age, not so much an issue for already the established athletes, they will make the sacrifice, and as is few, already recieve some measure of reward on Ntl team selections etc..but for the junior competitive swimmer/parent to fulfill/maintain this requirement over a long term would be extremely demanding.. ( Here..we drive 2 kids 10 minutes North everyday to practice, one of them sometimes twice a day, and 1 10 minutes south, twice a day..Can't begin to tell you the level of fatigue, and frustration, even for them (no trafic))...if they wasn't doing so well, we woulda quit long time, and one did temporarily as the organization of school(life) & training got confuffeled a bit..so location/travel no matter how easy the transportation is does become a major issue...
I would have put something else on that plot ...but may not have been necessarily another sporting body...maybe a building so that SportCO, or whoeve, don't have to pay what was it ? some crazy monthly rental fee downtown..remember that one ?...anyway is just some thoughts, appreciate more enlightenment

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 03:39:13 PM »
I think everything should be built next to Ato stadium in Couva. It more Centrally located. I noticed now that Olimpic countries are now trying to build the majority of the facilties in close proximity. Greece,Sydney and some of the Chinese facilities were close by. And if you look at London, Olimpic stadium, the velodrome the swimming, field hockey, the gymnastics are in eye-"site" of each other. But like I said the PNM could have done all of that but there always drama for them to build something. They make me sick, everytime I think about them.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 10:21:09 PM »
Don't really have an issue with facilities being built in POS or anywhere. I just have an issue with having 2 major pools relatively next to each other..
eg...I don't know, but thanks for the info.. If you have the most widely used international cricket ground at the Oval, would you build the new National Cricket training centre in Diego because some acres of land available there ? Won't it be more beneficial and be of more service to have them further apart, and both be able to serve many more communities around & in between ?

Not knocking the projects, just the locations...when planning I try not to leave out anything because it not a big deal..but location is always a big deal...as far as swimming is concerned, from my observations, what we need to have is more people swimming.when I visited, we stayed in St Augustine, we had a couple workouts with Swima at Marlins/Westmoorings. I drove - 1st time in TT. Saturday morning(7am) no problem, down the Churchill Roosevelt Highway, take Beetham highway, audrey jeffers Highway, Westernmain Road..no problem...however, when we had to get there for (can't remember exactly what time), but rush hour, weekday..well that was the end of that...I think it's basically the same route to Mucurapo...now swimming is not cheap on time, at the competitive level it requires daily practice/training even at a young age, not so much an issue for already the established athletes, they will make the sacrifice, and as is few, already recieve some measure of reward on Ntl team selections etc..but for the junior competitive swimmer/parent to fulfill/maintain this requirement over a long term would be extremely demanding.. ( Here..we drive 2 kids 10 minutes North everyday to practice, one of them sometimes twice a day, and 1 10 minutes south, twice a day..Can't begin to tell you the level of fatigue, and frustration, even for them (no trafic))...if they wasn't doing so well, we woulda quit long time, and one did temporarily as the organization of school(life) & training got confuffeled a bit..so location/travel no matter how easy the transportation is does become a major issue...
I would have put something else on that plot ...but may not have been necessarily another sporting body...maybe a building so that SportCO, or whoeve, don't have to pay what was it ? some crazy monthly rental fee downtown..remember that one ?...anyway is just some thoughts, appreciate more enlightenment

Am I reading that correctly; a ten minute drive is stressful?

Deeks, good point about Couva. That would've have been a good place instead of Tarouba and would've been a boon to both Couvan and Chaguanas, financially.

VB

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 02:37:56 PM »

da nice piece ah land whey abu still occupying.....unless they plan to relocate some bodies in de cemetery
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 04:16:31 PM »

Am I reading that correctly; a ten minute drive is stressful?

Deeks, good point about Couva. That would've have been a good place instead of Tarouba and would've been a boon to both Couvan and Chaguanas, financially.

VB

;D, I use ask the same questions..I know hard to believe..not till u have to do it almost everyday for more than 6 mths, morning an evening trying to reach on time for drop offs at 6. am, then 20 minutes back, past your house getting the next 1-2 at there practice for 6:3o, if u too early, cyah leve them dey, cause it dark & cold, then 20 minutes back, pick up a timmies, and wait till 7:30, for them to finish, and hope they come out fast, changed ready for school, drop them to train, then rush back 20 minutes back, to pick up the next one finishing at 8, an hoping them come out fast, so u could drop them, then have time to ketch your train...SO yeah 10 minutes, one way, and 10 minutes the other way, is stressful...buh you only really realizing that, when you end up on your train to work in yuh pajamas by the 3 rd month ah doin that...an only then remember that is why yuh did take vacation, and wondering how u end up on the train in the 1st place...And then doing the same thing in the evening, after work, except yuh add in rush hour..sorry here is rush 2 hrs..

Yeah..10 mins opposing poles from home...swim ppl go know
Feel this swimming thing easy !

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 05:49:50 PM »

da nice piece ah land whey abu still occupying.....unless they plan to relocate some bodies in de cemetery

Dutty I maybe wrong, but I don't think abu and them occupying  powder magazine!

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Lochte, US national swim team to train in TT
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 06:29:22 AM »
Lochte, US national swim team to train in TT
Saturday, March 16 2013
T&T Newsday

“VISIONARY” is how Candi MacConaugha, International Games Manager of USA Swimming described the big picture approach being taken by the Ministry of Sport and the Sports Company of Trinidad and Tobago with regard to the George Bovell National Aquatic Centre.

The elite facility is currently under construction at Couva and was among several stops on a whirlwind tour, Thursday, by three officials of USA Swimming.

The team comprised MacConaugha, Frank Busch, National Team Director and Lindsay Mintenko, National Team Managing Director who visited Trinidad and Tobago to gauge its suitability to host the US Olympic swim team ahead of the 2016 Rio Olympic Games.

Minister of Sports Anil Roberts led the visiting officials on a tour of the George Bovell National Aquatic Centre site where the athletes will train.

They were also taken to two major hotels — Hyatt Regency and Hilton Trinidad, where the athletes will stay during their pre-Olympic camp.

The day’s tour also included a presentation on the specifications of the Centre and a meeting involving Minister of Health Fuad Khan, Stephen Cadiz — the Minister of Tourism and Minister of National Security Jack Warner, to discuss the logistical arrangements that could be made for the multiple Olympic and World Championship medal-winning team.

Roberts said he is confident TT will be successful in this bid, citing the positive responses from the US team and the capacity to deliver on all the requirements of the team once they arrive.

According to Roberts “Imagine the buzz that will be created when athletes like multiple Olympic medallist Ryan Lochte land in Trinidad and Tobago. The excitement will be palpable and everyone will be keen to ensure their stay is pleasant, safe and productive.”

The hardworking Roberts also highlighted that apart from the economic benefits that will accrue from a squad of 80 persons coming to Trinidad and Tobago for a week, the fact that the number one swimming team in the world would choose this country as its location for its final training camp before the prestigious games would be an endorsement of the George Bovell Aquatic Centre and by extension Trinidad and Tobago as a preferred venue for elite sport and training activities.

The Aquatic Centre is to be completed by September 2014 and will boast of modern, state-of-the-art training and competition spaces for swimming, diving, water polo and synchronised swimming.

The Centre is expected to achieve several objectives in the development of high performance sport including provision of top class training facilities for local and regional athletes, as well as the creation of a sport-related income generator through hosting of competitions and the spin-off of domestic, regional and international sport tourism.

Trinidad and Tobago, as the only English-speaking territory being considered for this venture, expects to learn by the end of March whether US Swimming will take up on the offer to make this country their base camp before they head off to Rio, Brazil in 2016.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 07:07:40 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Lochte, US national swim team to train in TT
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 08:59:28 AM »
Roberts defends Couva venue for aquatic centre
...no land left in the west says Sport minister
Published: Sunday, December 9, 2012
By Rhonda Krystal Rambally (TT Guardian).

Sport Minister Anil Roberts says the George Bovell III Aquatic Centre that was proposed for Powder Magazine, Cocorite, was never a government project—it’s his family’s private venture. He said promises were made by several entities over the years to complete it but they were never fulfilled.

Now, as a minister, he has vowed that he will not use taxpayers’ money to fulfil a personal dream but instead will ensure that projects under his ministry are delivered to the people, namely the aquatic centre that is planned for Couva, in proximity to the Ato Boldon Stadium.

He said Shanghai Construction received the contract and construction had begun on the $193,221,739.70 national aquatic centre which is expected to be completed in 20 months and which will be named in honour of the Olympic medallist.  The former national swimmer and trained swim coach said, “After 46 years of the initial promise for an aquatic centre, the People’s Partnership will deliver this for Trinidad and shortly for Tobago but with proper tendering.”

He said the design of the aquatic centre will be consistent with recently built international aquatic centres such as the Beijing Aquatic Centre, which cost approximately $762 million for the 2008 Olympic Games. The Couva centre is expected to offer T&T the capacity to attract international aquatic events and to develop the level of the national water sports teams.

Roberts said, “To all the mischief makers who would like to suggest that this Government is removing everything from Port-of-Spain because Port-of-Spain is PNM and we’re developing the rest of the country because it is UNC...absolute rubbish. “This Government follows the constitution unlike the PNM, that only develops their areas.” He said Couva was set to become a sporting village. Roberts spoke to the Sunday Guardian on November 22 at Sweet Briar’s Place, St Clair.

‘My pool will be built with private funds’
Since becoming a minister, Roberts has relinquished his role as director of the Piranha Aquatic Swim Club in which his father, brother and deceased mother were directors. In 1985, his family formed the club and at that time, he said his brother, Shastri, was the top swimmer in the English-speaking Caribbean. Shastri subsequently won nine gold medals at the Carifta Games in 1986.

The Roberts family had been members of The Marlin Swim Club since 1977. His father was a guarantor of a loan to build the pool located at St Anthony’s. However, when faced with several changes and challenges, the family formed its own club.

“At that time, the Piranha Aquatic Swim Club was approached by the then Port-of-Spain mayor Williams (father of Eric Williams, former PNM minister) and my father negotiated and got five acres of land in Powder Magazine to put down a facility.” He claimed a former Port-of-Spain mayor told him that no aquatic centre would be built in the area for “poor people” because the land was too valuable and should be used for high-rise apartments.

He said even though the land belonged to the city corporation, the club had a 25-year lease with a 15-year extension to build the centre for young people. At every juncture there was resistance, Roberts said. He believed the centre was an absolute necessity for the people in the area.

Roberts said, “We have been fighting for years and let me say it is a private pool and has nothing to do with the Government. “And in fact, it has been my dream to build it but by coming into politics and becoming the Minister of Sport, I have ensured that my dream will never be fulfilled because as minister I cannot, and the Government cannot build any pool there (Cocorite) because what will they say? That it is Roberts building a pool for himself, from himself and so on.

“If the pool is built, it will be done with private funds.”

No land left in west Trinidad...Couva to become sporting village
There’s no land left in west Trinidad, said Roberts. Even at Mt Hope, certain parcels of land were needed for construction of the interchange. Couva was chosen because land was available. Approximately ten acres of land is needed. There was land ownership issues in certain areas in the west and not wanting to get involved in any disputes, he said Couva was the choice.

The Balmain Cricket Centre will be upgraded, the Ato Boldon Stadium is already used for football and track and field and the aquatic centre and cycling velodrome will make the spot a sporting village on approximately ten acres of land. Roberts said, “In essence it will become a sporting village which will encourage domestic investment, entrepreneurs, hotels, guest houses, restaurants, malls, shops..they will generate activity there.”

He said a growth pole will be created through sporting activities so when the facilties are completed, not only will children benefit but economic activity will enter the area. He said the Tourism Development Company and the Business Development Unit of the Sport Company had already started marketing the facility. He said in the winter months, it is hoped that the facility will become a hub for training university teams from the US, Canada and England.

The George Bovell III National Aquatic Centre will comprise:

•a 50m indoor swimming pool designed and equipped to host international swimming competitions with seating capacity for 700 persons with the possibility of an additional 700
•a 50m indoor warm up pool with capabilities to adjust lanes to host 25m swimming competitions
•an indoor diving pool with diving well 25m x 20m x 20m with the requisite concrete diving platforms at 3m, 5m and 10m, as well as two 1m diving spring boards and two 3m diving spring boards
•an outdoor 25m pool be designed to host swimming competitions, diving competitions, synchronised swimming and water polo competitions
•aqua gym, fitness and spa
•concession facilities and general user facilities
•athletic and operation facilities
•system and equipment facilities
•water park entertainment facility and
•medical area

Artist’s rendering of the George Bovell III Aquatic Centre, Couva.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 09:19:39 AM »
Leh we hope we athletes get the red carpet too.
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 03:11:49 PM »
ah guess that is why we had to fight up and get other ppl to help we with the passport for Angel..They was to busy to answer phone calls and emails, entertaining the VIPs etc...meanwhile my bills so far only up to 3K US(~16.5 K TT) to get him there...We will see how much they recoup for the US team to practice there..all 80 of them...must be cheaper than practicing in the US..they don't have enuff pools...ah tell mrsG doh wory bout food for me, I doh have to swim..I go thief some Mango an ting..if Duppy nah nyam dem before the I..she say "Yah mon"..everything cool runnings...US contingent booked for TT, hook, line & stinker  :devil:

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2014, 07:06:32 AM »
Chinese delegation tours sport facilities
T&T Express Reports.

The General Administration of Sport of the People’s Republic of China paid a courtesy call on Sport Minister Dr Rupert Griffith, Minister of Sport, and his Executive team from the Ministry of Sport and Sport Company of Trinidad and Tobago. A part of this visit also includes a tour of the following mega sporting facilities which are being constructed by SporTT, namely the National Aquatic Centre, National Cycle Centre and National Tennis Centre.

The delegation, headed by Jin Hua Sheng, General Director, Human Resources Development Centre, General Administration of Sport, are here in Trinidad on an exchange visit to discuss bilateral exchanges and cooperation in sport and other areas.

The Ministry of Sport will participate in an exchange and cooperation programme with the People’s Republic of China, to strengthen collaboration in sporting excellence, through a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the Ministry of Sport and the General Administration of Sport of the People’s Republic of China.

This (MOU) was signed in China, in February 2014. The objective of this initiative is to raise the standard of performance of Athletes, while maximising Athlete and Coach Development Programmes in specific sporting disciplines. It is also anticipated that through this MOU, there will be increased opportunities to more nationals, as the Ministry strives to promote ‘Sport for All’.

In this regard, the Ministry of Sport will recruit 24 Chinese coaches in the first quarter of 2015 in exchange for 24 scholarships offered by the People’s Republic of China in the area of Sports Science.

These Coaches will be qualified in the area of development and high performance in the following disciplines: table tennis, archery, gymnastics (rhythmic), badminton, shooting, swimming, synchronised Swimming and diving.                               
Scholarships, student and athlete exchange programmes will also target the differently-abled for the specialised training of nationals in Sport for Development, Physical Education and Sport, Sport Science and Sport Medicine.

The Scholarship Allocation includes: Sport for Development (three scholarships), physical education and sport (five scholarships), sport science (six scholarships) and sport medicine (10 scholarships).

Some of the sub-speciality areas for the above-mentioned programmes are sport facility management, sport tourism, physical education and sports training, sport and exercise nutrition, biomechanics/performance analysis, sport and exercise science – physiology, sport and exercise medicine, rehabilitation medicine and physical therapy and applied sport psychology.

Minister Griffith indicated that “he was excited about the whole bilateral agreement and is happy that as a country, we have reached this stage.”

He further stated that he “has taken note of the amount of countries that the General Administration of Sport of the People’s Republic of China have assisted and are convinced that the benefit will be great to Trinidad and Tobago in the whole collaborative effort.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2014, 07:07:08 AM »
Chinese delegation tours sport facilities
T&T Express Reports.

The General Administration of Sport of the People’s Republic of China paid a courtesy call on Sport Minister Dr Rupert Griffith, Minister of Sport, and his Executive team from the Ministry of Sport and Sport Company of Trinidad and Tobago. A part of this visit also includes a tour of the following mega sporting facilities which are being constructed by SporTT, namely the National Aquatic Centre, National Cycle Centre and National Tennis Centre.

The delegation, headed by Jin Hua Sheng, General Director, Human Resources Development Centre, General Administration of Sport, are here in Trinidad on an exchange visit to discuss bilateral exchanges and cooperation in sport and other areas.

The Ministry of Sport will participate in an exchange and cooperation programme with the People’s Republic of China, to strengthen collaboration in sporting excellence, through a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the Ministry of Sport and the General Administration of Sport of the People’s Republic of China.

This (MOU) was signed in China, in February 2014. The objective of this initiative is to raise the standard of performance of Athletes, while maximising Athlete and Coach Development Programmes in specific sporting disciplines. It is also anticipated that through this MOU, there will be increased opportunities to more nationals, as the Ministry strives to promote ‘Sport for All’.

In this regard, the Ministry of Sport will recruit 24 Chinese coaches in the first quarter of 2015 in exchange for 24 scholarships offered by the People’s Republic of China in the area of Sports Science.

These Coaches will be qualified in the area of development and high performance in the following disciplines: table tennis, archery, gymnastics (rhythmic), badminton, shooting, swimming, synchronised Swimming and diving.                               
Scholarships, student and athlete exchange programmes will also target the differently-abled for the specialised training of nationals in Sport for Development, Physical Education and Sport, Sport Science and Sport Medicine.

The Scholarship Allocation includes: Sport for Development (three scholarships), physical education and sport (five scholarships), sport science (six scholarships) and sport medicine (10 scholarships).

Some of the sub-speciality areas for the above-mentioned programmes are sport facility management, sport tourism, physical education and sports training, sport and exercise nutrition, biomechanics/performance analysis, sport and exercise science – physiology, sport and exercise medicine, rehabilitation medicine and physical therapy and applied sport psychology.

Minister Griffith indicated that “he was excited about the whole bilateral agreement and is happy that as a country, we have reached this stage.”

He further stated that he “has taken note of the amount of countries that the General Administration of Sport of the People’s Republic of China have assisted and are convinced that the benefit will be great to Trinidad and Tobago in the whole collaborative effort.”

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: National Aquatic Centre Thread.
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2014, 07:54:53 AM »
Can't wait for these facilities to open. Rio is just around the corner.

1]; } ?>