April 19, 2024, 10:50:55 AM

Author Topic: George Bovell: London 2012 Olympics Swimming competition schedule & results  (Read 30008 times)

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Why people have to be jumping from forum to forum to get updated on George Bovell? It have a thread in the Other Sports forum, why this in Track & Field?

Allyuh not making no sense in life.  :-[

This thread was started here by me before the other one that was started in the Other Sports forum because I am liming here for most of the Olympics and didn't wish to be jumping from forum to forum!  :beermug:

:-\
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Why people have to be jumping from forum to forum to get updated on George Bovell? It have a thread in the Other Sports forum, why this in Track & Field?

This thread was started here by me before the other one that was started in the Other Sports forum because I am liming here for most of the Olympics and didn't wish to be jumping from forum to forum!  :beermug:

I started that Olympics thread almost a full 12 hours before you started this George Bovell thread... in Track & Field no less.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

I started that Olympics thread almost a full 12 hours before you started this George Bovell thread... in Track & Field no less.

While allyuh fight the mods have stickied an Olympics thread that was started in 2011.
http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=55073.0

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html

It eh dat hard a jump.  ;D

But in view of the hard work you are doing I eh want to be critical. However, for simplicity's sake perhaps post Olympics, we can move this to the "Other Sports Forum."

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
While allyuh fight the mods have stickied an Olympics thread that was started in 2011.
http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=55073.0

Nobody eh "fighting"... all ah we trying to achieve the same thing.  Also, I dunno when that thread was stickied, but as recently as this morning I didn't see it up there.  Then again, I normally skip right past stickied threads so maybe it's been up there for a while.  Stickying the thread in Track and Field doesn't help matters anyways... I wouldn't think to come in here to find Olympic news unless it relates to Track and Field... but now we know, I guess. 

Mods feel free to merge.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 02:41:40 PM by Bakes »

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Allyuh not making no sense in life:-[

LOL is in life yuh say  ;D

But I agree understand though, ah really ent know where to look fuh sure

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Whaat is GB's PB and SB for this event?  Best of luck tomorrow

His pb is 21.20 he is the fourth fastest swimmer in history for the 50m freestyle. Not sure what his sb is but I suspect it is the 21.77

Thanks DHW, hopefully he can do some damage tomorrow
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Whaat is GB's PB and SB for this event?  Best of luck tomorrow

His pb is 21.20 he is the fourth fastest swimmer in history for the 50m freestyle. Not sure what his sb is but I suspect it is the 21.77

Thanks DHW, hopefully he can do some damage tomorrow
His 21.20 was with the full body suit when they were legal (now banned). I'm hoping he goes 21.40 or lower to win a medal. He had 2 great starts so far and faded a little down the stretch. Hoping he can sustain his speed and finish strong tomorrow to end up on that podium.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Thanks Sinned/DHW.  What time is the final tomorrow? 
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Thanks Sinned/DHW.  What time is the final tomorrow?

3:30 i think
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
 :beermug:

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Well I get ketch and all looking all over de forum fuh news on Bovell, next I was going in de jokes section.

Come on Bovell, represent tomorrow :beermug:

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Bovell swims for gold
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2012, 01:48:39 AM »
http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,164240.html

Bovell swims for gold
By Newsday Staff Friday, August 3 2012

It has taken eight years but George Bovell III, bronze medallist in 2004, is back chasing gold after clinching a spot in today’s 50-metre freestyle final at the London Olympic Games.

The 29-year-old will splash off in lane five in the final at 3.09 pm, at the Aquatics Centre, Olympic Park, London, England.

He advanced to his second Olympic final yesterday with a second place finish in semi-final two of his pet event.

A lot has changed since the 2004 Games in Athens, Greece but remaining the same is Bovell’s hunger for Olympic glory and this nation’s pride and joy in seeing him compete against the world’s best.

Bars throughout the country are expected to be packed today while employees at work and sports enthusiasts at home will be glued to their television sets cheering on arguably TT’s greatest ever swimmer, willing him to a medal.

Bovell started in fine form yesterday, winning his preliminary heat in a time of 21.77 seconds to advance comfortably to the semi-finals. He was ahead of Anthony Ervin of the United States (21.83) and Andrey Grechin of Russia (22.09) who took the second and third spots respectively in the preliminary heat.

At about 2.35 pm, Bovell, strolling to the pool in a confident swagger while wearing a bright red hoodie, repeated his 21.77 effort to place second in the second semi-final and book his spot in today’s title race.

The TT swimmer led his competitors for about half the race but Brazil’s Bruno Fratus surged ahead late to take the top spot in 21.63 seconds while Florent Manaudou of France was third in 21.80 seconds.

In the first semi-final, Cullen Jones of the United States and Cesar Cielo of Brazil, the current World and Olympic record holder, shared first place with a time of 21.54 seconds each, while Anthony Ervin was third in 21.62 seconds.

On the Brian Lara Promenade, Port-of-Spain yesterday, a few fans were quietly optimistic that Bovell would be able to duplicate his performance of 2004 and claim an Olympic medal.

Marcus Rivers of St James commented, “I’m real glad for Bovell, he did well and I hope he can get a medal for TT.”

Gary Jaggesar noted, “Win, lose or draw, he did well. I just hope that he can do the country proud and put us on the medal table.”

And Gail Hosein from Tunapuna said, “I’m not a fan of swimming but, as a Trinidadian, I just wish him well today and may he do us proud.”

On Twitter, a number of persons extended good wishes to Bovell, including Minister of Legal Affairs and Congress of the People leader Prakash Ramadhar, who wrote, “George has done TT proud to date. Best of luck today.”

However, repeated efforts to get a comment from acting Sports Minister Jack Warner, were unsuccessful up to press time.

Bovell is coached by Sports Minister Anil Roberts and Mike Bottom of the University of Michigan.

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar praised Bovell for advancing to today’s final when she was informed about his successful semi-final performance while addressing an Emancipation luncheon at the Diplomatic Centre in St Ann’s. As she announced Bovell “placed second in the semis”, the audience applauded lustily.

Addressing the post-Cabinet media briefing, Diplomatic Centre, St Ann’s, Communication Minister Jamal Mohammed said Cabinet has taken note of TT’s participation in the Olympics in London and swimmer George Bovell III who did “exceedingly well” in the 50 metre freestyle. He extended best wishes to all of TT’s other athletes.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html

Bovell swims for gold

It has taken eight years but George Bovell III, bronze medallist in 2004, is back chasing gold after clinching a spot in today’s 50-metre freestyle final at the London Olympic Games.

The 29-year-old will splash off in lane five in the final at 3.09 pm, at the Aquatics Centre, Olympic Park, London, England.

Is this TT or London time?

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Bovell swims for gold

Is this TT or London time?

VB
That time quoted is T&T time!  :beermug:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Swimmer Bovell goes for Olympic gold today
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2012, 03:02:28 AM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/olympics/2012-08-02/swimmer-bovell-goes-olympic-gold-today

Swimmer Bovell goes for Olympic gold today
Published: Friday, August 3, 2012
Rachael Thompson-King

Trinidad and Tobago’s George Bovell will bid for gold in the men’s 50-metre freestyle this evening at the Olympic Games after qualifying for the final yesterday at the Aquatic Centre in London, England. It’s safe to say that Bovell swam the same race twice in one day, registering times of 21.77 seconds in both the opening round and his semifinal. In the morning session, the six-foot, five-inch swimmer put on a splendid performance and progressed with the leading time of all 16 qualifiers for the “semis.” The T&T swimmer was in control from the time his feet left the blocks, powering down lane three in heat six, to record his first 21.77. The Olympic bronze medallist made no fuss about being the fastest qualifier, saying: “It really didn't mean anything. It just means that I am one race closer to the finals. It was enough to get through. I was concentrating on qualifying.”

Bovell will go into the final with the fifth fastest time and he told the T&T Guardian he has achieved two of his three objectives, one of which is to reach the final. “Now it is time to medal and I am going to give it everything because there is only one more race left. “I am going to have a good night’s rest, relax and put it all out tomorrow...I am thinking a time of 21.5 will be good enough,” he said yesterday. Bovell also said he was happy with the draw for the final. “As you saw, I had one of the best dive and I will now be on the outside in the final so I will try to use that as an advantage.” Defending champion and world record-holder Cesar Cielo of Brazil had the second best time, touching the wall in 21.80 seconds, to top the final heat of the early session and ease through to the next round. Another Brazilian, Bruno Fratus was the third fastest while Anthony Ervin of the United States, who is making a comeback to Olympic competition, was fourth. Ervin won the gold medal at the 2000 Sydney Olympics in the event.

Later in the semifinals, Cielo, who is attempting to repeat as champion of the event, and USA’s Cullen Jones were in a dead heat for the fastest time of 21.54. “The most important thing wasn’t to be first, it was the time,” Cielo was reported to have said after the race. “I was very happy to get that time, now I am just looking forward to getting some rest and getting ready for tomorrow.” In the semifinal, the 29-year-old Bovell placed second in a race referred to as a one-lap “splash and dash.” This time around, his 21.77 seconds was not fast enough to get by Fratus, who won in 21.63. Joining these five finalists are Florent Manaudou (21.80) of France, Australia’s former world record holder Eamon Sullivan and South Africa’s Roland Schoeman, who also finished in a dead heat for seventh with a time of 21.88. Today, Bovell, the most successful Caribbean swimmer, will dive into lane two in the final which is scheduled for 7.32 pm (2.32 pm T&T time) hunting for his second Olympic medal after his bronze in Athens in 2004.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Fans: The best is yet to come ...Jubilation in home camp
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2012, 03:08:05 AM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/olympics/2012-08-02/fans-best-yet-come

Fans: The best is yet to come
Jubilation in home camp

Kevim Felmine

George Bovell III’s fans were ecstatic but anxious after his superb performances in yesterday’s 50-metre freestyle semifinal splash at the 2012 Olympics in London, England. Now they’re hopeful that Bovell, a former world record holder, will cop the gold medal in today’s final, which is expected to take place at 2.32 pm local time. Bovell placed first in the heats and was second in his semifinal in the afternoon. At the Bovell family’s Malabar Farms store at Long Circular Road, St James, more than a dozen workers and customers paused for a few minutes yesterday afternoon, their eyes glued to the television for the semifinal round. Bovell’s parents are in London to support him. There were tense moments, but those gathered had already predicted that their sporting hero would make it into today’s finals.

Anxiously awaiting the semifinal round, which started at 2.30, senior accountant Allison Chalmers said she was expecting him to deliver a good showing. Excitement filled the store and as the 29-year-old 2004 Olympic bronze medallist made his way out of the dressing room, cheers began to ring out. From the sound of the gun, there were non-stop chants of “Go, George, Go George!” and as the swimmer forged his way to the front of the pack, there were screams. Bovell finished the race in second position, but there were no disappointed faces, only expressions of jubilation. Long-time friend of the family David Hosein said: “I am feeling proud. He did his best and his best is yet to come.” Hosein said he knew Bovell since the athlete was only nine, and had the privilege of taking him around to train.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Optimism ignited says manager Voisin
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2012, 03:12:37 AM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/olympics/2012-08-03/optimism-ignited-says-manager-voisin

OLYMPIC JOURNAL - Day 8
Optimism ignited says manager Voisin
Andre Baptiste

George Bovell’s performances yesterday has ignited optimism in the T&T camp. Several of our athletes are tired of living in the shadows of their Caribbean counterparts, Jamaica, and Bovell’s cool demeanour as he qualified for today’s final, was certainly inspirational.  On the verge of the track and field which starts today, I met with Dexter Voison, our athletic manager here in London, to find out how much Bovell’s performance has done to inspire the rest of the contingent. Voison looked measured and relaxed. “There is a quiet mood of optimism in this team and George only helped to fuel that atmopshere. We attended the Pre Olympic Games in Wales over two weeks ago and when we did our debrief, we discovered it was one of our better camps. The athletes and the technical staff all felt the same way. Clearly our objectives were met. The athletes bonded well.

The seniors, Kelly Ann (Baptiste), Richard (Thompson), Marc (Burns) and the younger athletes were all great. It was also the first time we were able to get our athletes to do relay practice before their individual event, and that was a plus for us at the camp.” Concerns about sprinter Keston Bledman were played down as Voisin said Bledman would be ready to take his place in his events. “The official report  I had from Keston’s handler, Lance Brauman, is that he had a cramp while in the blocks at a recent meet. He attended the camp and went through his paces. He also trained with the relay team. From what I am seeing, he is fit.” With the relays a week away, Voisin said the highly favoured T&T team is working on passing the baton and general running. “So far the guys have been practicing with Richard Thompson as the lead off to Marc Burns to Rondel Sorrilo with Keston Bledman as the anchor. A decision will have to be made as we go through the different rounds. Whether we will use Callender in the semi finals is yet to be decided.”

Kelly Ann Baptiste, who won a bronze medal in the World Championships in the 100 metres, will be on the track today and Voison said Kelly Ann has been working with the medical team. “She has been moving around with some discomfort since June when we went to Bahamas to qualify for the women’s relay. She has been getting treatment on a regular basis.” Voison described the Olympic Village as massive. “The sleeping accommodation is very different from Beijing. We are a bit cramped in terms of space. The rooms are small but everybody has settled in. We cannot complain because all the other athletes are sleeping in the same rooms,” added Voisin.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 03:15:08 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
By George, you can do it!
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2012, 03:18:14 AM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/olympics/2012-08-02/george-you-can-do-it

By George, you can do it!
Alvin Corneal

Clocking the same time in the first two rounds and going into the final with the fifth fastest time is already an achievement.

George Bovell 111 may even have thoughts of retiring after this Olympics and, the task of winning a gold medal may well rest upon this morning’s performance in the 50-metre freestyle event. It was exciting to see Bovell win his heat and produce the fastest time to that point. Even the close second place was good enough to tell us that he is mentally ready for the final moment. Will it be a sleepless night or will coach Anil Roberts do the job of a sports psychologist, and help his charge to exchange his nervousness for determination, something which he has demonstrated during his long and illustrious career.

The morning alarms will be helping T&T to rise early, sit and pray for this country’s flag to fly above the Olympic swimming pool in the same way that Americans Ryan Lochte and Michael Phelps have done for their country. Our battery of track and field competitors will also start their bid today. Some claim these are the core events and while the world sits by and admire the speed of people like Yohan Blake, Usain Bolt and Tyson Gay, play a bet on Keston Bledman. No one said that winning the 100 metres will be easy, but it is difficult for all and as we saw in the world Championships, any slip can be a slide for even the best.

On a note of football, it was great to see the two Concacaf qualifiers, Mexico and Honduras, moving into the quarter finals and while some may wish to sympathise with Honduras as they have Brazil as their next opponent, we must recall that the ‘Samba Boys’ are yet to win gold in fooball. They need it badly, but Honduras fought their hearts out to get to London and they will play as well as they can. Hopefully, I shall take a close look at the Mexicans, simply because I believe that they are among the best four football countries in the world today. We shall wait and see, but our premier task today is to see our George Bovell 111 go two better than his Athens bronze. Good luck, George.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Good luck Bovell. The country in excitement mode
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I want to hear our anthem today :beermug:

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I hope I have the right stream. They showin a women's medal ceremony now.

http://www.sportlemon.tv/v-4/2/120/v-432107.html

Yeah it comin up next.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 01:10:34 PM by Peong »

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bad start it look like.  7th place

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
CRAP! Thanks for 04 George...
whey boy!

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Hard luck GB, excellent representation  :beermug:

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
Anil blightde man :cursing: :cursing:
Phenomenal, lovely atmosphere.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Did he place 7th?

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Did he place 7th?

yup,
the race was so close, had a bad start, was still in it the first 25m
whey boy!

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bad start it look like.  7th place
damn...rough luck dey
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Never had a chance once the start was bad. Troughout the rounds he was dying at the end, relative to those around him. Great job still. It ehn easy moving from 200IM to 50 free and then finalling at the Olympics in both of them 8 years apart! Legend!
Success will never take you by surprise.

1]; } ?>