April 19, 2024, 08:08:52 PM

Author Topic: The Golden Boy Keshorn Walcott Thread  (Read 102089 times)

Dumplingdinho

Re: The Golden Boy Keshorn Walcott Thread
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2012, 06:26:53 PM »
He is the second non European. An American Cy Young won in 1952.  Javelin might be changing big time, a Kenyan was in the final as well.

Cy Young was Caucasian..

I guess we need to say it for what it is then. The first black man or person of African descent. I like the sound of that.

Yeah first black man is right. The reports I have read are saying second non European but not saying first black man. Of course Cyrus young getting mention as the first non European.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2012, 06:29:25 PM »

« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 06:31:21 PM by D.H.W »
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2012, 06:36:18 PM »
Keshorn sucking d medal like a mango yes  ;D
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2012, 06:58:14 PM »
Olympics-Athletics-Trinidad's Walcott takes fast track to javelin glory

Aug 11 (Reuters) - Trinidad & Tobago's first Olympic gold medal in a field event was forged in the unlikely setting of an old school field by a teenager larking around with his cousins.

Less than four years on and still not yet out of his teens, Keshorn Walcott became Olympic javelin champion on Saturday with a victory that surprised himself, let alone the sporting world and beyond.

More surprising was that the winner, only 19, hails from a nation and region, Cuba aside, not usually associated with field events.

Trinidadian sprinters? Yes. Think 1976 Olympic champion Hasely Crawford, Trinidad's first and only other Games gold medallist.

Trinidadian cricketers? Yes. Think former West Indies captain Brian Lara. Even footballers. Tobago-born Dwight Yorke who enjoyed a stellar career with Aston Villa and Manchester United.

Javelin throwers? Not until Walcott first picked up a javelin for fun as a 16-year-old and launched it 55 metres.

His rise to the top has come at a phenomenal rate and reached a crescendo in the Olympic stadium when, with no expectation of success despite being crowned world junior champion last month, he upstaged the sport's biggest names.

A sporty youngster who enjoyed cricket and football, Walcott said he realised quickly he was not cut out for the track.

"I was never really any good at sprinting so I didn't stick with that. I tried triple jump because my brother does that... I was doing that along with the javelin so I needed to make a choice. I was always better at javelin," Walcott said smiling, the gold medal proudly around his neck.

"In my first year I just went out there for fun."

His first major competition was the 2010 world juniors in which he flunked. But it hardened his attitude and resolve to come back a better athlete.

"I was 16th or something. I said to myself I would come back hard and better things will come."

His desire to improve paid off. Success came at regional level and then in Barcelona last month he became world junior champion.

His work ethic and endless hours put in at a pre-Games training camp in Wales paid off on Saturday, first setting a personal best with his opening effort of 83.51 metres, then bettering that with 84.58 on his next attempt.

GO LONGER

One by one, his rivals tried to go longer. Each time they failed.

"Most of the other guys were under pressure coming into the competition because of the expectations on them," he said.

"There wasn't any on me and I was relaxed. After the fourth round and I was still in the lead, I thought 'things are coming close now'.

"The fifth and sixth throws I was really frightened. Then it hit me when the second guy (in silver medal position) threw and I told myself 'I just won gold'...I couldn't believe it."

Worryingly for his rivals, Walcott said deficiencies in his throwing technique meant "he had not been doing it right".

"I've got a lot to work on with my technique. The next few years I will hopefully get things right, get a lot stronger. I would like to throw over 90 metres... get into that bracket."

Expectations will be high for future, he acknowledged.

"We will go back to the drawing board. Go home...hopefully my coach will allow me some rest, then we'll start again.

"I'm not famous. I'm proud of myself and hopefully everyone back home is proud of me."

Walcott now hopes to meet triple Olympic javelin champion and world record holder Jan Zelezny before he returns home to Trinidad.

Czech Zelezny, coach to women's javelin gold medallist Barbora Spotakova, dominated the sport for a decade, winning Olympic gold in 1992, 1996 and 2000.

"I only learned of him when I got into the javelin," Walcott said.

"I saw him over here (in London). I was shocked at his size. I look up to him as the best javelin thrower ever. Hopefully some day I'll get up to that standard."

In another sign that the sport has truly expanded beyond its traditional European heartland, Kenyan Julius Yego also made the final, finishing 12th of 12.

"The two of us...from different parts of the world, mixing with the Europeans... I don't think we were looked at (as finalists). Making the finals itself was a big achievement," Walcott said.

Jamaica, through the exploits of Usain Bolt and others, has evolved as a powerhouse of sprinting but they could also have a potential Olympic field event champion in future years in world junior discus champion Frederick Dacres.

"Hopefully, more and more people (from the Caribbean) will push forward into these events," said Walcott, who has been offered college scholarships in the United States but plans to continue working in Trinidad with his Cuban coach. (Editing by Ed Osmond)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/11/oly-athl-atmjav-day15-walcott-idUSL4E8JB0HM20120811
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 07:10:56 PM by D.H.W »
Youtube Channel

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2012, 06:58:44 PM »
Dey say Keshorn does pelt de mango and Usain does pick it up and run.   ;D

Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2012, 07:01:53 PM »
Walcott wins shock javelin gold

Trinidad and Tobago's Keshorn Walcott created history by becoming the first athlete from a Caribbean nation to win the men's javelin.

Walcott, at just 19, stunned a class field to win with a national record of 84.58 metres, edging out Ukraine's Oleksandr Pyantnytsya (84.51m) and Finland's Antti Ruuskanen (84.12m).

He achieved the feat on his second throw, beating his previous season best of 82.83m.

Two-time champion Andreas Thorkildsen of Norway placed sixth with a best throw of 82.63m.

The victory follows Walcott's win at the world junior championships in Barcelona less than a month ago.

"I'm surprised I even made the final," Walcott said.

"I just went out there to relax and enjoy it, and it worked for me."

Not only did Walcott win Trinidad and Tobago's maiden javelin gold, he became just the second non-European to top the podium in the event.

Trinidad and Tobago is traditionally strong in the sprint events and this is illustrated by the the fact Walcott won just its second Olympic gold medal following Hasely Crawford's win in the 100m at the 1976 Games in Montreal.

The prowess on the track was further evident in London with Lalonde Gordon taking bronze in the men's 400m before backing up to finish third again in the 4x400m relay.

The island nation also won bronze in the men's 4x100m less than an hour after Walcott claimed his triumph.

"I means everything to me, this is what it's all about," Walcott said.

"I just train my hardest and try to enjoy every time I come out."

Pyantnytsya took a season best of 86.12m into London but he was not upset to finish without the gold.

"The result could have been a few metres more but this is sport," he said.

"I am happy."

http://www.radioaustralia.net.au/international/2012-08-12/walcott-wins-shock-javelin-gold/997696
Youtube Channel

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2012, 08:22:47 PM »
yu see dem fellas read mi artcle bout how I eh please wid dem... all of in a sudden is a bronze and a goal......

congrats make mi country proud..
war
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 08:40:53 PM by warmonga »
Black Lives Matter..

truetrini

I wonder whaaaaaaat Anil have to say now?

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/Minister_threatens_NAAA_with_legal_action-137650723.html

Minister threatens NAAA with legal action
By –Kern De Freitas

Story Created: Jan 19, 2012 at 2:28 AM ECT
Story Updated: Jan 19, 2012 at 2:28 AM ECT

Minister of Sport Anil Roberts is preparing to take legal action against the National Association of Athletics Administration (NAAA) over allegations of bias and "poor process" in the Ministry's elite athlete funding.

Roberts told the media yesterday during a press conference at his Abercromby Street, Port of Spain headquarters that he has not had any response from the NAAA since he publicly warned them to apologise over the matter.

Roberts said that the NAAA, via letter of November 2, 2011, accused the Ministry of "bias, impropriety, collusion and a poor process" in providing funding to elite track and field athletes.
Last week, Serrette stated that Walcott brothers Keshorn and Elton are deserving of funding, along with young sprinter Moriba Morain.

Yesterday Roberts responded, saying the Ministry was yet to receive an application from Elton, while Keshorn's application only came in on November 29, and Morain's was also being processed at the moment, having come in late in the last financial year.

"Taxpayers money is for the benefit based on merit of the athletes and the citizens of Trinidad and Tobago. If you're good, you're good. Take your funding. Simple. It have no friend, no family, no friend, girlfriend, no 'like you', 'don't like you'," Roberts stated.

He again called on the NAAA to "provide evidence or withdraw" the statement, which he deemed as having "serious allegations".

Roberts also said the NAAA application for 2012 funding still lacked a lot of requirements, including a strategic plan for 2008-2012, a SWOT analysis and action plan, a comprehensive development plan, an operational plan, and bank statements showing its account balances.

"Not a cent of money will move without NSOs (National Sporting Organisations) stating their bank balances," Roberts said.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2012, 09:10:39 PM »

Poor fella... he eh know yuh only supposed tuh bite it, let alone why dey does bite it.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2012, 10:33:02 PM »

Poor fella... he eh know yuh only supposed tuh bite it, let alone why dey does bite it.
You bite the medal to show that you are hungry for it!  ;)
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

truetrini

« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2012, 11:20:49 PM »
NBC did a nice recap of his victory.  Nice..

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2012, 12:58:01 AM »

It actually has to do with gold being a 'soft' metal... so tradition is (with any gold, not just medals) you bite it to check to see if it is genuine gold.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2012, 03:22:15 AM »

It actually has to do with gold being a 'soft' metal... so tradition is (with any gold, not just medals) you bite it to check to see if it is genuine gold.
Makes sense!  :beermug:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2012, 04:53:18 AM »
I read people in Finland stunned. The so called home of javelin
Youtube Channel

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Scott: It was Walcott's day
« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2012, 05:06:57 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/Scott__It_was_Walcott_s_day-165884716.html

Scott: It was Walcott's day
By Kern De Freitas
Story Created: Aug 12, 2012 at 12:03 AM ECT

With an 84.58-metre throw that landed him the Olympic javelin throw title, Keshorn Walcott has broken the mould for field events in Trinidad and Tobago.

That is the view of elated former national hammer thrower Candace Scott, commenting after Walcott smashed his national record to hand T&T their first Olympic gold medal since Hasely Crawford's 1976 100-metre triumph, and its second overall.

"We pretty much broke the mould," Scott, a former Olympic hammer throw finalist, told the Sunday Express yesterday. "From [a strong history of] sprinting, we're now starting to break into the throws. Me with the hammer, Cleopatra [Borel-Brown with] shot put. Now we broke into the javelin throw [with Keshorn].

"I am really happy to see that he was able to do that so that athletes now, or children growing up, don't have to say we don't necessarily have to throw shot put, or throw hammer. There's discus too, and javelin."

Scott was following the men's javelin throw final by computer at home in Santa Cruz, one of the areas affected by yesterday's flash flooding, when she lost her internet feed. She was overjoyed when the news of Walcott's win finally came through.

"When it did flash across that Keshorn had won I was so happy," Scott related. "I didn't scream because my daughter was sleeping. When they were showing his throws [on TV] I was nervous, feeling like I was there too. I started to cold sweat. My hands started to get clammy, I started to get those butterfly feelings. Then I said 'yes, take one for the throwers'."

Scott, whose 71.45m effort in 2005 is the national women's hammer throw record, said she was very proud to hear T&T's national anthem play on the Olympic stage.

So where does she rate Walcott's gold medal among Trinidad and Tobago's past sporting performances?

"Of course it would be number one. It's a gold medal we get. All things considered, he beat the last Olympic champion, he beat one of the guys who used to throw 90 metres in the javelin; he had his day. Today was his day," Scott ended.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Walcott family celebrates youngest-ever javelin winner
« Reply #75 on: August 12, 2012, 05:53:42 AM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2012-08-12/walcott-family-celebrates-youngest-ever-javelin-winner

Walcott family celebrates youngest-ever javelin winner
Published: Sunday, August 12, 2012

Keshorn Walcott’s mother Beverly was overjoyed at her son’s historic performance yesterday, saying jokingly that she was lucky she did not have a heart attack after watching him capture this country’s second gold medal ever at the Olympics. She said, however, she had expected him to get into the final eight. “I always expected him to get into the top eight and anything extra is a plus.”

Speaking to Trinidad Guardian from her Toco home, Beverly Walcott said she told her son she is looking forward to the bouquet that Olympic winners receive. “I will be getting the flowers I asked him for if he gets on the podium. He said he could only get flowers if he gets a medal.” 

Walcott watched the event with Keshorn’s father Eddie King, his brother Trenton and councillor for Toco/Fishing Pond Terry Rondon. She said Keshorn’s other brother Elton—a triple jumper—was in San Juan but kept calling her during the competition. Walcott was joined at her home by mother Joyce Walcott-Charles, sisters Laurie Lee and Anna-Lee, other family members, villagers and members of the media who all gathered to celebrate the victory. There were chants of: “Gold! Gold! Gold!” in the background as she spoke. Walcott-Charles said her star grandson had to overcome the challenges of travelling to Port-of-Spain to train, as Toco does not have the facilities for him to practise his event. She paid tribute to his Cuban coach Ishmael Mastrapa Lopez, and manager Sean Roach. “Special thanks to Sean. He came here late in the night to ensure all was well with Keshorn and Elton. He was responsible for them moving to San Juan to train.”

Keshorn’s aunt Anna-Lee, a former javelin thrower who won several Carifta titles, said the new Olympic champion always wanted to beat her. “He wanted to do better than me. I went on scholarship in the USA, but got injured after and did not go any further.” Anna-Lee said her nephew is focused and disciplined. “He proved himself, as some did not believe in him. As I looked at him after the win, he remained humble,” she said.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Serrette: Crawford predicted Walcott’s medal
« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2012, 06:07:53 AM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/olympics/2012-08-12/serrette-crawford-predicted-walcott%E2%80%99s-medal

Serrette: Crawford predicted Walcott’s medal

T&T’s Olympic gold medal winner, Hasely Crawford, predicted Keshorn Walcott’s medal success yesterday, according to president of the NAAAs president Ephraim Serrette. “Hasely told me before the event started that if Keshorn threw anywhere near 84 metres, he would medal and he was right.” Serrette said he was seated next to Crawford who became emotional when Walcott was declared winner.“There were tears as he watched. He was just so happy, he could not speak. He had to sit down and take it in. He kept encouraging Keshorn all the time. Hasely is now the happiest man in the world,” said Serrette Serrette described Walcott’s success as one of the greatest experiences ever. “It was unbelievable. This is a young man who has come out here and given his best. It was just  inspiring. I am overwhelmed by his strength,” added Serrette.

Serrette revealed there was a team meeting in the morning when women’s sprinter Kelly Ann Baptiste told everyone to forget the past and  go out and support Walcott and the men’s relay team. “It clearly worked.” Serrette described the team’s success as the best performance ever at a championships. “Some ten finals and we finished with four medals. It means we are doing something right. Let us hope we can continue this sort of planning and get more support for our programmes.” Serrette believes Walcott’s performance will inspire many in the field events. He is hopeful, that Walcott will remain focus. “He is very level headed and intelligent  with very good family values and we can expect him to remain focussed and improve, especially given the excellent work done by his coach,” added Serrette. “This is a red letter day for T&T and history has been made. He lives and trains in T&T, which must be good for sports. He has made the country happy. I hope people recognise how significant that is,” stated Serrette.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2012, 06:08:44 AM »
My Father grew up in the same village as him. Good stuff.
Youtube Channel

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Roberts: Walcott a young man of class
« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2012, 06:17:19 AM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/olympics/2012-08-12/roberts-walcott-young-man-class

Roberts: Walcott a young man of class

An elated Minister of Sports Anil Roberts yesterday paid tribute to the country’s second Olympic gold medalist, Keshorn Walcott, noting that his success in yesterday’s javelin event at the Olympics could not have come at a better time. Commenting on Walcott’s historic achievement, Roberts said: “God is good. In a time when some citizens have had their properties and life turned upside down by the flooding of their homes, up comes a young bright star from Toco to inject some inspiration, pride and glory on the faces of the people of T&T.” Roberts said the victory had not sunk in ‘as yet’. “But for Walcott to move from being World Junior Champion to Olympic champion is six weeks, is just unheard of. It’s an unprecedented achievement.”

The Minister who presented Walcott with equipment to participate at the Junior Championships when he emerged champion, said the country could take example and learn from Walcott’s humility and calmness. “Even after he was declared the gold medal winner, he proved to be a young man of pure class.” Roberts congratulated Walcott’s family, who he said had produced a young man whom the country could use as a role model. “Such is his demeanour, and I am sure this success will not change him.” Roberts also paid tribute to his Cuban coach, Ismael Mastrapa, a development athletic coach who has worked with Walcott for the past two years and is attached to the Sports Company (Sportt). “I cannot commend his Cuban coach enough for the tremendous work he has done with Walcott to help him develop. We are now looking at an athlete who can dominate this event for the next 16 years, given his age of 19.” Minister Roberts is expected to lead the welcoming party at Piarco, who will be greeting the local athletes when they return home today.

T&T in London

Medal Winners:

Gold
Keshorn Walcott–men’s javelin final–84.58 metres

Bronze
Lalonde Gordon–men’s 400m final–44.52 seconds
Men’s 4 x 400m relay (Lalonde Gordon, Jarrin Solomon, Ade Alleyne-Forte, Deon Lendore)–2:59.40 NR
Men’s 4 x 100m relay (Keston Bledman, Marc Burns, Emmanuel Callendar, Richard Thompson) - 38.12 seconds

Other Finalists:

Semoy Hackett–women’s 200m final–eight–22.87 seconds
Njisane Phillip–men’s keirin–seventh
Njisane Phillip–match sprint–fourth
Richard Thompson–men’s 100m final–seventh–9.98 seconds
Kelly-Ann Baptiste–women’s 100m final–sixth–10.94 seconds
George Bovell III–men’s 50m freestyle final–seventh–21.82 seconds
Jehue Gordon–men’s 400m hurdles final–sixth–48.86 seconds
Women’s 4 x 100 relay final–Michell Lee Ahyee, Kelly-Ann Baptiste, Kai Selvon, Semoy Hackett.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2012, 06:38:57 AM »
 ::)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2012, 07:53:43 AM »
Stop read once SPALK arrived on d thread
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 12, 2012, 09:36:40 AM »
Best Olympics ever for T&T but the women 4x100m relay hurts real bad.

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 12, 2012, 10:14:46 AM »
Really proud of Walcott! Wow Olympic hold at 19. Those thongs don't happen to us but it did! I knew once he could consistently throw over 80m he could be a danger and that's what he did. I didn't expect a gold though. That will spur on the others to do well too! It may even spur on the younger athletes too! Deeks and Che I'm still hurting about the women too but we gotta look forward- world champs next year.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 12, 2012, 11:24:33 AM »
Stueps i going and throw javelin yes. I hear Javelin throwers have a longer lifespan. I want to go Brazil  :devil:
Youtube Channel

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 12, 2012, 11:50:15 AM »
Anil: Astounding, amazing, spectacular
Trinidad Express

Minister of Sport Anil Roberts yesterday described Keshorn Walcott's gold medal win in the Olympic men's javelin as "amazing, astounding, spectacular".

"There aren't enough adjectives to describe what this young man has done for Trinidad and Tobago. We recognised Keshorn's talent from early. He was first spotted two years ago at one of the Ministry's Rural Sport Caravans. Since then, we have been observing his progress, assigned the best coach to develop his raw talent and we're pleased to see Keshorn's emergence as an athletic phenomenon and now Olympic gold medallist! Keshorn has fulfilled his potential and exceeded the expectations we all had for him to succeed. The Government will ensure that he is rewarded appropriately and continues to improve at his craft because at his age, the best is yet to come, " Roberts said in a statement.

"It was a history-making effort at the London Olympics as the 19-year-old Walcott became this country's second gold medallist. Walcott set two national records in the javelin throw final, launching the spear at 84.58m on his third throw.

"The Toco-born Walcott, whose brother Elton is a national triple jumper, is coached by Cuban Ismael Mastrapa, an athlete/coach development officer at the Sports Company of Trinidad and Tobago," the statement added.

Keshorn Walcott is the youngest gold medallist and the first athlete from the Western Hemisphere to medal in the javelin event in 40 years.

"The javelin is traditionally dominated by Europeans but Trinidad and Tobago can now boast of having broken that tradition, creating a legacy of which the country can be justifiably proud," stated the release.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 12:24:51 PM by FireBrand »
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2012, 12:03:45 PM »
We need more of these caravans , we might find a usain bolt. Cant wait to see this young man get better at what he does
Youtube Channel

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2012, 12:08:47 PM »
WOW!! to tell allyuh de trute I didn't even know we had a javelin rep. Congratulations to young Master Walcott, Trinis the world over are immensely proud of you and your accomplishments. Big Up TnT!!!
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2012, 12:37:06 PM »
I film the competition itself... about 6 mins long, but can't get it past the Youtube censors.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2012, 12:45:10 PM »
i had to delete it , youtube telling me it blocked , stueps
Youtube Channel

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2012, 01:13:28 PM »
I film the competition itself... about 6 mins long, but can't get it past the Youtube censors.
i had to delete it , youtube telling me it blocked , stueps

wish I can see it

1]; } ?>