April 26, 2024, 12:50:32 PM

Author Topic: The Jarrin Solomon thread  (Read 10364 times)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
The Jarrin Solomon thread
« on: August 15, 2012, 11:04:05 AM »
Written before Solomon went off to the Olympics.
============================================

Ex-Lobo Solomon To Realize Olympic Dream
By Ken Sickenger / Journal Staff Writer on Jul. 15, 2012

Duke City Native and Ex-Lobo Standout Jarrin Solomon Is To Run for Trinidad and Tobago

Flying into London under the Olympic radar suits Jarrin Solomon just fine.

He doesn’t plan to fly out that way.

An Albuquerque native who graduated from La Cueva High and UNM, Solomon hasn’t generated the kind of buzz that surrounds many American Olympians as the London Games approach.

Want proof? A recent Time magazine story listed New Mexico as one of five states not sending any athletes to London.

To be fair, the oversight is understandable. Solomon, 26, is not a member of Team USA. Instead he’ll represent Trinidad and Tobago in the 1,600-meter relay in early August.

Jarrin carries dual citizenship because his father, Mike Solomon, is a native of Trinidad. Still, Jarrin’s roots are firmly planted in New Mexico.

“I definitely believe I represent Albuquerque and UNM because that’s where all of this started,” Jarrin said this week, via email from Cardiff, Wales.

“The people in Albuquerque and at UNM have always supported me and watched for me on the world scene. I want to put Albuquerque on the map as a place for sprinting.”

Should his relay team medal, Jarrin would bring his coveted prize home to Albuquerque. He moved in with his mother, Susie Solomon, in the Northeast Heights while training for the Games and is saving to buy a home of his own.

Most of Jarrin’s training team is in Albuquerque, too. He does sprint work with former UNM associate track coach Mark Henry, lifts weights under the tutelage of UNM strength coach Aaron Day, and gets physical therapy and treatment from La Cueva strength coach Jeff Archuleta.

Jarrin also gets tips from the the two-time Olympian who inspired his track career — his father.

Chasing success

In many respects Jarrin Solomon is following the spike tracks of Mike, a standout sprinter at UNM who represented Trinidad and Tobago in the 1976 and ’80 Olympics.

“My father is very well known down there from his running days,” Jarrin said.

The elder Solomon also established himself in Albuquerque, where he still resides. Mike won a 600-yard NCAA outdoor championship in 1977, was a two-time All-American and still has his name on several UNM school records.

But Mike no longer holds the top 400-meter time in his family. His standard, 45.77 seconds set in the 1980 Moscow Olympics, fell last weekend when Jarrin established a personal best of 45.31 in Germany.

The feat earned Jarrin a phone call from dad.

“He said, ‘Son, you have now officially run faster than me,'” Jarrin recalled. “At that point, I sat back and just smiled.”

Mike was smiling, too.

“He deserved to break my record,” Mike said. “He’s worked so hard to be where he is now. To tell you the truth, I’m loving it.”

Last week’s race at the Bottrop Gala was something of a bittersweet moment for Jarrin. His PR time and a close second-place finish to the world’s second-ranked 400-meter sprinter, Luguelin Santos of the Dominican Republic, felt good. That he missed the Olympic A Standard time (45.30) by one one-hundredth of a second? Not so much.

It was his final shot at qualifying for the individual 400 in London.

“I’d run the race of my life to go that fast,” Jarrin said, “so I was happy. But then I just started thinking, ‘I should have done this different or that different to get that hundredth of a second.’ I guess that’s just the name of the game sometimes.”

Still, Susie said Jarrin’s time carried significance.

“He’d been trying to beat his father’s record for four years,” she said. “At least that’s behind him.”

Shifting goals

For Olympic purposes, Solomon’s most significant time this year is 3:00.45. That’s the 1,600-meter relay mark he helped post in June, breaking Trinidad and Tobago’s 20-year-old national record.

The time secured an Olympic berth for Solomon — something he couldn’t have imagined 10 years ago.

After competing in everything from hockey to gymnastics as a youngster, Solomon found soccer to be his passion. He played youth and club soccer and later became a three-time All-State defender at La Cueva. Solomon helped the Bears to a Class 5A title in 2002.

What does then-La Cueva coach Larry Waters best remember about him?

“You mean other than how fast he was?” Waters said with a chuckle. “He made us look smart for putting him at defender. He’d make runs from the back and get past people very quickly.”

Solomon was also part of four track-and-field team championships at La Cueva. But to him, track was just something to do between soccer seasons.

“I swore I was going to be a pro soccer player somewhere and never gave track even the slightest thought,” he said. “… I always watched the Olympics and dreamed about being at the Olympics, but for soccer not track.”

Nor was track and field ever pushed at home.

“I never led Jarrin to track,” Mike said. “His mother and I introduced him to a lot of sports, and he was into soccer. That was fine by us.”

As he prepared to graduate, Solomon was leaning toward playing soccer at North Carolina’s Gardner Webb University. That was when Matt and Mark Henry entered the picture.

Finding his stride

UNM’s head track coach at the time, Matt Henry had insight into Solomon’s potential as a sprinter. Matt was a former Lobo teammate of Mike Solomon and was impressed by Jarrin’s runner-up finish in the 400 at the 5A state meet.

“His daddy was one of the best track athletes ever at UNM,” Matt said. “Jarrin just hadn’t put the time in. When he finished second at state, that was basically on straight talent. Mark and I knew if he committed to running, we could have something pretty special.”

The Henrys convinced him to stay home.

“They saw my potential to run,” Solomon said, “way more than I ever did. I could never thank the Henrys enough.”

Solomon excelled at UNM under the Henrys and, later, coach Joe Franklin. He won multiple Mountain West Conference titles, set a school indoor record in the 400 and became an All-American.

“Once he focused on sprinting, you could see it coming,” Mark Henry said. “He studied other runners, dedicated himself to training, and his talent started shining through.”

The 2007-08 year was a setback for Solomon, who contracted pneumonia, injured a hamstring and suffered a stress fracture. He took a redshirt season at UNM and was unable to qualify for the Olympics.

“He tried to run through the pneumonia,” Susie said, “but it really wracked his body. That was really tough on Jarrin.”

Living the dream

Solomon admits he had a difficult time watching the 2008 Beijing Games. He used them instead as motivation.

“Once I got over the disappointment, I started training like a lion,” he said. “Instead of watching the Olympics and feeling down, I was up in the foothills running, trying to get back in shape.”

Since earning degrees in criminology, communications and completing his collegiate career, Solomon has focused on reaching the Olympics. He works as a personal trainer, which accommodates his rigorous training schedule.

It’s all been geared toward London.

Solomon is staying at a pre-Olympic camp in Wales, which is helping him acclimate to London’s conditions.

“Rainy and cold pretty much all the time,” he said.

He said he may enter a tune-up race in Ireland before moving to the Olympic Village on July 25.

Because his lone event comes relatively late in the Games, Solomon plans to watch other competitions and “just take in the whole experience.” That said, he’s not content to remain under the radar too much longer.

Trinidad and Tobago’s 1,600-meter team has the fifth best time in the world this year and is considered a medal contender.

“If we stay focused and ready, I believe our chances to medal are very good,” Solomon said. “I know I’m in the best shape of my life. I can’t wait to walk into that stadium, lace up my spikes and show people around the world what I am all about.”
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 12:11:02 AM by Socapro »
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Re: the Jarrin Solomon thread
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 04:09:14 PM »
Trinidad and Tobago’s 1,600-meter team has the fifth best time in the world this year and is considered a medal contender.
“If we stay focused and ready, I believe our chances to medal are very good,” Solomon said. “I know I’m in the best shape of my life. I can’t wait to walk into that stadium, lace up my spikes and show people around the world what I am all about.”
So said & so done so congrats to Jarrin Solomon, we now all know what he is all about!
It's a pity he didn't run the Olympic 400m A standard before the Olympics otherwise he could have ran the Individual 400m in place of Quow who had to pull out due to injury.

Jarrin did make a major impact and ran one of the fastest legs both in the 4x400m relay heats and in the final.

Official Split times for our team in Olympic 4x400m relay Heat 1:
1st place, 3:00.38 NR TRI Lalonde Gordon 44.2, Jarrin Solomon 45.5, Ade Alleyne-Forte 46.12, Deon Lendore 44.49;
Click this link to view BBC video of Heat 1: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/live-video/p00w32g7 Go to sections 10 & 11 to view Men's 4x400m Relay Heats.

Official Split times for our team in Olympic 4x400m relay Final:
3rd place, 2:59.40 NR TRI Lalonde Gordon 44.6, Jarrin Solomon 44.6, Ade Alleyne-Forte 45.51, Deon Lendore 44.73;
Click this link to view BBC video of Final: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/live-video/p00w32vf Go to section 13 to view Men's 4x400m Relay Final.

The world now knows who Jarrin Solomon is and what he is capable of so hopefully both Jarrin and Lalonde will get some World Challenge and DL Meet invites this year before the season ends based upon their excellent medal performances at the Olympics.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 04:32:55 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 04:14:45 PM »
He ran his leg like a beast.
In Round 1, he opened up something like a ten  metre gap on the opposition.

VB

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 04:33:14 PM »
Nice! real Nice. The future look good. Whey the women?

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 03:41:31 AM »
UNM Alum Solomon Wins Bronze Medal
By Journal Staff on Aug. 10, 2012

Jarrin Solomon competed for the University of New Mexico in indoor
and outdoor track and field from 2005-09. (Journal File)

LONDON — Jarrin Solomon, a UNM grad and Albuquerque native, is bringing a shiny souvenir from the London Olympics back to the Duke City — a bronze medal.

The former Lobo ran the second leg for Trinidad and Tobago men’s 4×400-meter relay team, which finished in 2 minutes, 59.4 seconds in Friday’s final. It was good enough for third place behind the gold medal winner Bahamas (2:56.72) and the runner-up United States (2:57.05).

“Thank GOD for tonight!! It still hasn’t sunk in yet but the feeling of crossing the line and realizing we were olympic medalists was unreal!” Solomon tweeted.

With his bronze, Solomon matched the best finish at the Olympics among former UNM athletes who competed in track and field. The only other ex-Lobo to take home a medal from the games was Dick Howard, who placed third in the men’s 400 hurdles at the 1960 Olympics in Rome.

The bronze-medal winning time by Solomon, Ade Alleyne-Forte, Lalonde Gordon and Deon Lendore broke the Trinidad and Tobago national record for the second consecutive day.

Solomon competed for Trinidad and Tobago because his father, Michael, is a native of the small Caribbean nation. The elder Solomon also competed in the Olympics for his native land in the 4×400, finishing sixth in 1976 and 1980.

While only four Albuquerque natives have competed in the Olympics, Solomon’s third-place finish bests Shelia Burrell, who placed fourth in the women’s heptathlon in 2004.

Solomon ran the second leg and had T&T in third place, which it maintained through the third and fourth legs. The Bahamas overtook the United States for gold, and T&T held off Great Britain for the bronze. The 4×400 relay replay was scheduled to be televised during NBC’s Friday night primetime window.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 04:18:27 PM by Socapro »

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 03:41:51 AM »
So dat is what he does look like without the shades.

VB

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 03:29:17 PM »
Jarrin Solomon won a silver medal today in 46.18s in the 400m at the Stockholm DL Meet.
Would have liked to see him go sub-46 but guess he is still recovering from the Olympics.

http://www.diamondleague-stockholm.com/en/Live-StartlistsResults/Overview/Men-400m/

Result 400 Metres - Men
World Record   43.18   JOHNSON Michael   USA   Sevilla   26 AUG 1999
World Lead   43.94   JAMES Kirani   GRN   London   6 AUG 2012
Meeting Record   43.50   WARINER Jeremy   USA      2007

Friday 17 August 2012 - 19:35
Rank   Athlete   Nation   Result   Reaction time

1   YOUSIF Rabah  SUD   45.73      0.170
2   SOLOMON Jarrin  TRI   46.18      0.179
3   MURPHY Brian  IRL   46.71      0.148
4   STEELE Andrew  GBR   46.90      0.185
5   WISSMAN Johan  SWE   47.00      0.188
6   EKELUND ARENANDER Nick  DEN   47.06      0.193
7   FRANCOIS Felix  SWE   47.80      0.187
8   AMADO Elias   SWE   49.96      0.226
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 03:31:15 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The Jarrin Solomon thread
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 07:14:00 AM »

Solomon wins at Hungary meet

Trinidad and Tobago's Jarrin Solomon topped the podium yesterday at the Budapest Gyulai Istvan Memorial, winning the Men's 400m at the Hungarian Athletics Grand Prix event.
Solomon, who recently helped T&T's 4x400m relay team to their first such medal since 1964, clocked 45.48 seconds for victory. He finished ahead of Rabah Yousif of Sudan (45.86) and Richard Buck (46.02), who were second and third respectively.

Also at that meet, Cleopatra Borel threw her way to silver in the women's shot put, sending the iron ball 18.58 metres to finish behind eventual winner, USA's Michelle Carter, whose best effort went 18.84m.
Third was Natalya Mikhnevich of Belarus (18.48m).

T&T's 4x100m relay bronze medallist Keston Bledman was also on the podium at the Kamila Skolimowska Memorial in Warsaw, Poland, finishing second in the Men's 100m event. Bledman clocked 10.28 running into a 1.6 metres per second headwind, to finish just behind Jamaica's Kemar Bailey-Cole (10.24).
St Kitts and Nevis veteran runner Kim Collins, who missed out on the Olympics in controversial fashion after breaking team rules, was a hair's breath away from Bledman in 10.29, the same time as fourth-placed Gerald Phiri of Zambia.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 07:21:22 AM »
Waay men flying. Good signs for the future. Now if only we could get good female 400m runners.
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 07:49:22 AM »
Waay men flying. Good signs for the future. Now if only we could get good female 400m runners.
That time Jarrin ran yesterday of 45.48 is a good time but we need all our best 400m Men being able to run the 45.30 Olympic A standard in the 400m flat AT WILL before we start claiming that all our 400m men are flying.

In fact our 400m guys should be aiming at being able to match and beat Kirani James in the 400m flat when it matters most which means being able to run sub 45s at will and being able to break into the exclusive 400m flat Sub 45s Club.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 07:53:20 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Solomon races to 400m gold in Linz, Borel second in shot put
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 07:55:50 PM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/sport/2012-08-22/solomon-races-400m-gold-linz-borel-second-shot-put

Solomon races to 400m gold in Linz, Borel second in shot put
Published: Wednesday, August 22, 2012
Clayton Clarke

Jarrin Solomon celebrates

Olympic men’s 4x400m relay bronze medallist Jarrin Solomon sped to gold in the men’s 400m at the Gylulai Istvan Memorial Grand Prix in Budapest, Hungary on Monday.  Solomon crossed the line in 45.48, the second best of his career, 0.17 second behind his personal best set earlier this year. The 26-year-old quartermiler’s victory was more rewarding as he got revenge on Rabah Yousif of Sudan, who beat him for the gold in Diamond League GN Galan meet in  Stockholm Sweden on Friday. This time around Yousif took the runners-up spot in 45.86 ahead of Richard Buck (Great Britain) 46.02. Cleopatra Borel rebounded from her sixth place in Stockholm to take second in the women’s shot with a throw of 18.58 behind American thrower Michelle Carter (18.84) with Natalya Mikhnevich of Belarus in third (18.58). Olympic champions Krisztian Pars, Christian Taylor an Sanya Richards-Ross all recorded victories. Pars of Hungary landed the men's hammer (79.74) while American Taylor secured the men’s triple jump (17.30). London 400m gold medallist Richard-Ross sped to the 200m crown in Hungary (22.70).  Jamaican Shericka Williams took the women’s 400m (50.34) while Jamaica Andrew Riley finished second in the men's 110m hurdles ( 13.39).

Keston Bledman missed out on gold in the men’s 100m at the Third Kamila Skolimowska Memorial in Warsaw, Poland on Sunday. The two-time Olympic sprint relay medallist clocked 10.28 into a 1.6m/s head wind as Jamaican Kemar Bailey-Cole took the top spot (10.24) with Kim Collins (St Kitts/Nevis) taking third in 10.29. The Caribbean had more successes at the Gugl Games in Linz, Austria as World and Olympic champion Kirani James of Grenada was one of four winners from the region. James took his pet event, the men's 400m, in 44.46 while two-time World and Olympic Felix Sanchez (Dominican Republic) ran away from the field in the men's 400m hurdles (48.13). Nickel Ashmeade led a Jamaican sweep in the men's 100m winning in 10.03 ahead of Olympic relay gold medalist Michael Frater (10.13) and Jason Young (10.15).  Another Jamaican Samantha Henry-Robinson emerged champion in the women's 100m  (11.15). The London sprint relay silver medallist was also third in the 200m (22.85)

Thomas to campaign for Abilene Christian

World Championships sprint relay finalist Reyare Thomas will take up a two-year athletic scholarship with Abilene Christian University (ACU) in Texas starting in September. Thomas, who was a member of T&T's Olympic 4x100 metres relay team in London, England, completed a successful two-year stint at Iowa Central Community College where she won the National Junior Colleges Outdoor 100m and 200m crowns in May running a personal best in the shorter sprint of 11.30. The 2009 CAC Senior Championships 200m bronze medallist was fifth in the women’s 100m at this year's National Championships to earn her debut Olympic team. The 24-year-old will join compatriot Karla Hope and Osei Alleyne-Forte at Abilene. The trio is among several T&T athletes who competed for ACU. National men's 400m record holder Ian Morris, Julian Raeburn, Niconnor Alexander, Robert Guy and Wanda Hutson were all past students. The Neon Trackers sprinter has personal bests of 7.37(60m indoor), 23.36 (200m-outdoor) and 24.23 (200m-indoor). Fellow first Olympians Sparkle McKnight and Janiel Bellille will also take up scholarships in the new school semester. McKnight will run for Arkansas and Bellille, Texas A&M. The duo, like Thomas, spent two years coming in the Junior College Division both for South Plains.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 11:44:01 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Solomon cops another Don Kirby 400m title
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 05:54:37 PM »
Solomon cops another Don Kirby 400m title
Published: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 (T&T Guardian)

T&T Olympian Jarrin Solomon

Jarrin Solomon, Ayodele Taffe and Ohdel James recorded victories in the United States over the weekend.

Solomon, the reigning Olympic and World Relays bronze medallist, won the men’s indoor 400m race at the Don Kirby Open in Albuquerque, New Mexico on Saturday. Solomon was the fastest in the field in 47.06 seconds to win heat one. Americans Cole Lambourne (47.14) and Pete Lauderdale (47.24) were second and third. The victory was the second for Solomon following his triumph in 2013. Solomon also won the Don Kirby Outdoor crowns in 2012 and 2013. Taffe took the men’s 200m at the Battle of the Regions Meet in Bakersfield, California on Friday. The 2013 World Championships sprint relay finalist stopped the clock in 21.52 ahead of Sequoias school-mate and compatriot Cabrara Holand who clocked 21.57. Yet another T&T athlete and school-mate Ohdel James secured the mens 400m honors in 48.89. James later returned to help his school to gold in the 4x400m in 3:17.66 ahead of another Sequious team which clocked 3:18.25. Ashron Sobers and Theon Lewis were members of the second place team. All T&T athletes are first year students.

Last year’s World Junior 110m hurdles finalist Reubin Walters missed on a victory in the men’s 60m hurdles finals at the Don Kirby Open. The Central Arizona freshman finished second in 7.88 behind American Lorenzo Johnson (Western Texas) 7.79 and ahead of another US athlete Harold Lathan 111 (WAS) 7.92. Walters’ time was an improvement on his 7.95 clocking in the prelims earlier in the day, the third quickest. The 2012 CAC Junior champion also helped Central Arizona to eighth in the men’s 4x400m in a time of three minutes 14.88 seconds (3:14.88). John Mark Constantine (Western Texas) took third spot in the men’s 60m finals in 6.74.

In the prelims the 2014 World Junior sprint relay finalist was 0.02 seconds slower, clocking 6.76 to finish fourth fastest.

Walters’ school-mate Hezekiel Romeo was ninth in the men’s shot put with a 17.33m effort. Romeo, the 2011 Commonwealth Youth Games bronze medallist, was hoping to improve on his second place finish at the Pima Aztec Indoor in Arizona on Feb 7 when he got the iron ball out to 17.61m.

Romeo was also fifth at the weight throw in Arizona with a mark of 13.36m. Reigning Carifta girls under 20 200m gold medallist Kayelle Clarke (New Mexico Junior College) was 11th in the women’s 60m in 7.75.

Clarke won heat ten of the women’s 200m in 24.45 but her time left her 21st overall. Marissa Gayle (Western Texas) finished 10th overall in the 400m (56.85) and was part of her school’s 4x400m team which finished fourth (3:41.49).

Micah Ballantyne (Adam State) was second in the men’s 200m at the ASU NCAA Qualifier in Alamosa Colorado on Friday (13 Feb). The World Junior sprint relay finalist got the line in 22.46. Kadisha Francois (Missouri State) was 20th in the 200m at the Fred Wilt Invitational in Illionois in 25.58.

RESULTS

Don Kirby Open & Elite, Albuquerque, New Mexico, Feb 13-14

Men

60m finals-1st Justyn Warner (CAN) 6.59, 2nd Anaso Jobodwana (RSA) 6.60, 3rd John Mark Constantine (Western Texas/TTO) 6.74

400m-1st (1h1)Jarrin Solomon (TTO) 47.06, 2nd Cole Lambourne (USA) 47.14, 3rd Pete Lauderdale (USA) 47.24

60m Hurdles finals-1st Lorenzo Johnson (West Texas A&M) 7.79, 2nd Reubin Walters (Central Arizona) 7.88, 3rd Harold Lathan 111 (WAS) 7.92

4x400m-8th (4h2) Central Arizona (Reubin Walters) 3:14.88

Shot put-9th Hezekeil Romeo (Central Arizona) 17.33

Women

60m-11th (3h2) Kayelle Clarke (New Mexico JC) 7.75

200m-21st (1h10)Kayelle Clarke (New Mexico JC) 24.45

400m-10th (4h2) Marissa Gayle (Western Texas) 56.85

4x400m-4th Western Texas (Marissa Gale) 3:41.49

Fred Wilt Invitational, West Lafayette, Ilionois, Feb 13-14

Women 200m-11th (1h6) Kadisha Francois (Missouri State) 25.58

ASU NCAA Qualifier, Alamosa, CO, Feb 14

Men

200m- (2h5) 2nd Micah Ballantyne (Adams State) 22.46

Pima Aztec Indoor Invitational, Tucson, Arizona, Feb 7

Men shot put-2nd Hezekiel Romeo (Central Arizona) 17.61

Weight throw-5th Romeo 13.36

Battle of the Regions, Bakersfield, California, Feb 13

Men

200m-1st (1h1) Ayodele Taffe (Sequoias) 21.52, 2nd (2h1) Holland Cabara (Sequoias) 21.57

400m-1st (1h1) Ohdel James (Sequoias) 48.89

4x400m-1st ((1h2) Sequoias (James) 3:17.66, 2nd (1h1) Sequois (Theon Lewis, Ashron Sobers) 3:18.27 (sportscoretobago)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 10:19:43 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2015, 10:17:46 PM »
Congrats to Jarrin Solomon on running a new indoor season's best in the 400m Final today in Birmingham!

http://www.britishathletics.org.uk/british-athletics-series/sainsburys-indoor-grand-prix/event-schedule/

Sainsbury's Indoor Grand Prix (Birmingham)

IAAF Indoor Grand Prix Birmingham 2015 - Men's 400 Metres Final
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/BRxN-AysLsY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/BRxN-AysLsY</a>

13:41 - 400 METRES - Men   OFFICIAL RESULTS

1    Nigel LEVINE   GBR   46.43      0.290      SB      
2    Jarryd DUNN   GBR   46.67      0.285      SB      
3    Bershawn JACKSON   USA   46.98      0.267      SB      
4    Jarrin SOLOMON   TTO   47.04      0.208      SB      
5    Manteo MITCHELL   USA   47.27      0.226      
6    Calvin SMITH   USA   47.32      0.199      SB   

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2015, 08:10:01 PM »
Just 1 day after Wayde Van Niekerk of South Africa set a new African record of 43.96 in Paris, Makwala of Botswana responds with a 43.72 run in Switzerland. Kirani James has some serious competition now and its coming from the Africans!!

Congrats to Jarrin Solomon in winning the Sectiion 2 Final at the same meet and attaining the 400m qualification standard of 45.50 for World Champs in Beijing.
Solomon's 400m time of 45.15 was the 3rd fastest of the Meet behind Makwala's and Haroun's.

Jarrin Solomon (right) has now attained the World Champs 400m qualification standard

http://www.sep-olympic.ch/documents/resisprint/resisprint15.pdf

La Chaux De Fonds Track & Field Meet Switzerland 400m Results 2015

Sunday, July 05, 2015

La Chaux-de-Fonds (Switzerland), 5.7.2015 -Resisprint-

Men 400 m

Finale 1 05.07.15 14:50
Rang Nom An Société Pays Performance Beme

1. Isaac Makwala 85 Botswana BOT 43.72
2. Abdalelah Haroun 97 Qatari QAT 44.27
3. Ofentse Mogawane 82 Afrique du Sud RSA 45.75
4. Galvan Matteo 88 Italie ITA 45.95
5. Marciniszyn Marcin 82 Poland POL 46.83

Finale 2 05.07.15 14:50

1. Jarrin Solomon 86 Trinidad and Tobago TRI 45.15
2. Koumi Sadam 94 Soudan SUD 45.58
3. Gillet Antoine 88 Belgique BEL 46.25
4. Pako Seribe 91 Botwsana BOT 46.30
5. Saviour Kombe 91 Zambia ZAM 46.58

Finale 3 05.07.15 14:50

1. Krzewina Jakub 89 Poland POL 45.88
2. Krawczuk Lukasz 89 Poland POL 46.41
3. Hyde Nicklas 86 Denmark DEN 46.53
4. Benchaa Fethi 88 Algerie ALG 46.81
5. Toure Abdoulaye 88 France FRA 48.88

Finale 4 05.07.15 14:50

1. Gueye Mamadou 86 Senegal - 47.19
2. Cella Mattia 92 Italie - 47.35
3. Danesini Paolo 92 Italie - 47.53
4. Flück Luca 96 LC Kirchberg SUI 47.58
Formanski Mateusz 91 Poland POL aband.

Finale 5 05.07.15 14:50

1. Udonsinachi Erete 85 Nigeria NIG 47.05
2. Lutz Silvan 90 TV Länggasse Bern SUI 47.44
3. Bellon Jérôme 93 Leichtathletik Club Zürich SUI 48.08
4. Lo Verme Marco 95 Italie - 48.48
5. Abubaker Abdalla 96 Quatar QAT 48.64
6. Flury Joël 96 BTV Aarau LA SUI 50.59
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 10:00:36 AM by Socapro »

Offline jusbless

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2015, 09:08:16 PM »
Country or Personal. I have nothing against Jarrin Solomon but I am left wondering which comes first. We have cedenio and lendore two under 44.5 sec men and we going to send Solomon who pr is 44.98. What's the logic in that are we going just for participation or to win medals . Country gaining a medal comes before personal gratification. Can he even make a semis

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2015, 09:23:48 PM »
Country or Personal. I have nothing against Jarrin Solomon but I am left wondering which comes first. We have cedenio and lendore two under 44.5 sec men and we going to send Solomon who pr is 44.98. What's the logic in that are we going just for participation or to win medals . Country gaining a medal comes before personal gratification. Can he even make a semis

Lendore is currently injured and cannot get an individual 400m spot for World Champs in Beijing in front of anyone who took part in 400m at T&T Trials and who has also attained the WC 400m qualification standard.
However Lendore's medical exemption from taking part in T&T Trials may still allow him a spot in the 4x4 relay squad if he can prove his fitness and his form before the World Champs team is selected.

Solomon made the 400m final at the Commonwealth Games last year and performed better than Renny Quow in the final.

There are rules for World Champs qualification and once athletes qualify by the rules it is not about personal gratification for them to get the spot they earned but it is about being fair and sticking by the rules stipulated beforehand without favouritism.

Personal gratification is bending the rules to favour a particular athlete and we have to remember that no athlete regardless of how good they are is guarantee a medal at World Champs as athletes do false start or run out of their lane and get DQed. In addition athletes also pick up injuries while others peak too early and don't perform at their best at the biggest competition.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 09:57:17 PM by Socapro »

Offline jusbless

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2015, 09:31:14 PM »
can Solomon medal at world

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2015, 09:32:51 PM »

Anyone who can make the final stands a chance. We can ask the same of Quow and Lalonde Gordon.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2015, 07:58:41 AM »

As Socapro said, anyone who makes the finals in the 400 can. Can Jarrin win, I honestly don't know. But when it come to the relays, I would want this guy on the team. This guy is blood and guts. He runs his spike off and keeps us in contention for a medal.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 03:04:29 PM by Deeks »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2015, 09:24:45 AM »

As Socapro said, anyone who makes the finals in the 400 can. Can Jarrin win, I honestly don't know. But when it come to the relays, I would want this guy on the team. This guy is blood and guts. He runs his spike off and keeps us in contention for a medal.

Right now in my humble opinion Solomon owns the 2nd leg on the 4x4 relay squad as he has the fighting spirit to ensure we establish ourselves in one of the top 3 medal positions once he gets that baton in one of the top 3 positions after the first leg.

Our first leg on the relay squad is a choice between Renny Quow and Lalonde Gordon and right now based on form Quow gets the nod.

If Lendore is fit and healthy and can prove his form in time for Beijing then he gets the 3rd leg while Cedenio anchors. Lendore should only get to anchor if he puts down another 44.36 or better in proving his form after recovering from his injury as we want our fastest man on anchor to handle the likes of Merritt, Francis and the others.

Crossing fingers (for a healthy & fit Lendore) we will medal in Beijing with the line-up and order I just mentioned and the T&T national 4x4 relay record will fall once again in the process!

Failing Lendore being revovered from his knee injury and being fit enough to run in the 4x4 squad in time for Beijing then we have no choice but to go with Lalonde Gordon on the 3rd leg in place of Lendore. However the team coach may need to give Lalonde a pep talk to ensure that he goes out hard to maintain his position when he collects the baton after the 2nd leg rather than starting off at a jogging pace and losing a few positions as that could be the deciding factor between us getting a medal and placing 4th, 5th, 6th or lower in the final after the dust clears.

Saying that we can still medal without Lendore but Lalonde Gordon will need to bring his A game and to run his leg like his life depends on it as he hasn't looked at his best so far this season.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 03:05:01 PM by Socapro »

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2015, 03:01:34 PM »

Right now in my humble opinion Solomon owns the 2nd leg on the 4x4 relay squad as he has the fighting spirit to ensure we establish ourselves in one of the top 3 medal positions once he gets that baton in one of the top 3 positions after the first leg.

Our first leg on the relay squad is a choice between Renny Quow and Lalonde Gordon and right now based on form Quow gets the nod.

If Lendore is fit and healthy and can prove his form in time for Beijing then he gets the 3rd leg while Cedenio anchors. Lendore should only get to anchor if he puts down another 44.36 or better in proving his form after recovering from his injury as we want our fastest man on anchor to handle the likes of Merritt, Francis and the others.

Crossing fingers (for a healthy & fit Lendore) we will medal in Beijing with the line-up and order I just mentioned and the T&T national 4x4 relay record will fall once again in the process!

Failing Lendore being revovered from his knee injury and being fit enough to run in the 4x4 squad in time for Beijing then we have no choice but to go with Lalonde Gordon on the 3rd leg in place of Lendore. However the team coach may need to give Lalonde a pep talk to ensure that he goes out hard to maintain his position when he collects the baton after the 2nd leg rather than starting off at a jogging pace and losing a few positions as that could be the deciding factor between us getting a medal and placing 4th, 5th, 6th or lower in the final after the dust clears.

Saying that we can still medal without Lendore but Lalonde Gordon will need to bring his A game and to run his leg like his life depends on it as he hasn't looked at his best so far this season.

Indeed. Lalonde is our achilles. When he runs good, we medal.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 03:05:32 PM by Socapro »

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2015, 03:28:06 PM »

:beermug: :beermug: :beermug:

Solomon is a key ingredient in the relay squad. Remember we go with six not four.
He runs his leg like a beast. His split is something like 44.75 or faster. Just look at the semis and finals of the 2012 Olympics, you wont'question why he is there. If no one is inujured he might have probs getting on the starting four but that man has run a beautiful second leg for TT.

VB
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 01:24:57 PM by vb »

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2015, 03:49:31 PM »

Solomon is a key ingredient in the relay squad. Remember we go with six not four.
He runs his leg like a beast. His split is something like 43.75 or faster. Just look at the semis and finals of the 2012 Olympics, you wont'question why he is there. If no one is inujured he might have probs getting on the starting four but that man has run a beautiful second leg for TT.

VB

Whey VB, you real optimistic, LOL. Solomon is definitely a soldier but not a 43 point soldier, as yet.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2015, 03:55:47 PM »

He runs his leg like a beast. His split is something like 43.75 or faster. Just look at the semis and finals of the 2012 Olympics, you wont'question why he is there. If no one is inujured he might have probs getting on the starting four but that man has run a beautiful second leg for TT.

VB

Whey VB, you real optimistic, LOL. Solomon is definitely a soldier but not a 43 point soldier, as yet.

LOL!! VB probably mis-typed, he must have meant a 44.75 leg but I think Solomon at his relay beast best can give us a mid to low 44.xx leg.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2015, 04:26:10 PM »

VB

LOL!! VB probably mis-typed, he must have meant a 44.75 leg but I think Solomon at his relay beast best can give us a mid to low 44.xx leg.

I think he already ran a mid to low 44 split at the world relays.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Solomon wins in 45.15 ... qualifies for Worlds one-lap
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2015, 02:02:45 AM »
Solomon wins in 45.15
... qualifies for Worlds one-lap

By Kwame Laurence (T&T Express)
Published on Jul 6, 2015, 8:23 pm AST

World Champs qualifier: Jarrin Solomon

Jarrin Solomon produced his fastest run this season to strike gold in a men's 400 metres race, at the Résisprint International meet, in La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland, on Sunday.

Solomon stopped the clock at 45.15 seconds to secure top spot in the one-lap “B” race. The Trinidad and Tobago quarter-miler finished well ahead of Sudan's Sadam Koumi, the silver medallist in 45.58. Belgian Antoine Gillet was a distant third in 46.25.

For Solomon, yesterday's run was very significant. In addition to being the second fastest clocking of his career, behind the 44.98 seconds personal best he produced in Belgium last year, the 45.15 run was well inside the 45.50 IAAF World Championship qualifying standard.

Five T&T quarter-milers have now attained the standard for the August 22-30 global meet, creating a potential selection headache for the officials who will travel to Beijing, China with the World Championship team. Only three of the five can run in the individual 400m event.

The fastest of the quintet are Machel Cedenio, who is sixth on the 2015 world list at 44.36 seconds, and Deon Lendore, who is seventh at 44.41. However, Cedenio was disqualified in last month's National Championship final for running out of his lane, while Lendore did not compete at Nationals because of injury.

National champion Renny Quow is third fastest among T&T quartermilers this year with the 44.90 seconds run that earned him the T&T title. Solomon is fourth with Sunday's 45.15 clocking. And 2012 Olympic bronze medallist Lalonde Gordon is fifth at 45.50. Solomon and Gordon earned silver and bronze, respectively, at Nationals.

Only two quarter-milers were faster than Solomon at the Résisprint International meet--Botswana's Isaac Makwala and Qatari junior Abdalelah Haroun.

Makwala won the men's 400m “A” race in a jaw-dropping 43.72 seconds to move into fifth spot on the world all-time list, behind world record holder Michael Johnson (43.18) and his fellow-Americans Butch Reynolds (43.29), Jeremy Wariner (43.45) and Quincy Watts (43.50). Makwala's 43.72 clocking is a new African record and the fastest time in the world this year.

Haroun clocked 44.27 seconds to finish second to Makwala, yesterday, the fine run pushing him up to second on the world all-time junior 400m list. Only former Olympic champion Steve Lewis has run faster while still in the under-20 ranks. The American was golden at the 1988 Seoul Olympics in South Korea in a world junior record time of 43.87 seconds.

Eighteen-year-old Haroun is joint-fourth with Bahamian Steven Gardiner on the 2015 men's 400m list. Only Makwala, Grenada's reigning Olympic champion Kirani James (43.95) and South African Wayde van Niekirk (43.96) have run faster this year.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 02:15:15 AM by Socapro »

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2015, 01:25:39 PM »

VB

I think he already ran a mid to low 44 split at the world relays.

Was off by a second. Ah fix it.  ;D ;D

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Olympian and UNM alum invests in cryotherapy business in Journal Center
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2015, 02:02:52 PM »
By Sal Christ, Albuquerque Business First
Jul 6, 2015, 12:20pm MDT

University of New Mexico alum and Olympic runner, Jarrin Solomon, has opened what he
says is the area's first dedicated cryotherapy business. — Courtesy Excel Cryotherapy

New Mexicans looking to beat the heat — or win their next heat — now have an option in the area around the Journal Center.

University of New Mexico alum and Olympic runner Jarrin Solomon has opened what he believes is the area's first dedicated cryotherapy business. Located in the Journal Center at 7600 Jefferson St. NE, Excel Cryotherapy features a cryotherapy chamber, a lobby and a space with exercise equipment for clients to use post-session.

Cryotherapy is a process in which part of the body or the entire body is subjected to sub-zero temperatures for a short period of time — largely in effort to reduce inflammation in the body or treat lesions on the body. The 1,200-square-foot space is dedicated to the full body treatment process and uses liquid nitrogen to cool the chamber temperatures to more than -200 degrees Fahrenheit.

Pictured is the cryotherapy chamber at Excel Cryotherapy.

According to Solomon, who runs the business with his wife, Debra, the entire process of getting the company up and running took about eight to 10 months.

"It was about 8-10 months of legwork, getting the financing, finding a place. We invested close to $100,000, which is pretty cheap compared to a lot of businesses to start. However, it's an ongoing investment because of the cost of the liquid nitrogen," said Solomon.

Solomon has leased the location for three years with renewal options for two more years and says he expects to break even on the business within six to nine months.

"We'd like to add a second [cryo-chamber] room by the end of the year … Ideally, having 2,000 new, first-encounter clients and 3,500 sessions during the first year," he said.

Pictured is the exercise space in Excel Cryotherapy.

Cryotherapy is often used by professional athletes for recovery and performance purposes, as well as by consumers dealing with inflammatory diseases or injuries. Essentially an unregulated industry, special medical licenses are not required to operate a cryotherapy business. Solomon says he only needed a regular business license, to pass a fire marshal inspection and signage declaring usage of hazardous materials.

T&T Olympic Bronze medalist: Jarrin Solomon

Solomon is an Olympic track and field sprinter who represents Trinidad and Tobago; his father is famed athlete Mike Solomon, who represented Trinidad and Tobago in the 1976 and 1980 Olympics. His interest in cryotherapy stems from looking for an alternative to the ice baths he previously used for recovery following training sessions.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 02:31:20 PM by Socapro »

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2015, 03:47:14 PM »
By Sal Christ, Albuquerque Business First
Jul 6, 2015, 12:20pm MDT

University of New Mexico alum and Olympic runner, Jarrin Solomon, has opened what he
says is the area's first dedicated cryotherapy business. — Courtesy Excel Cryotherapy

New Mexicans looking to beat the heat — or win their next heat — now have an option in the area around the Journal Center.

University of New Mexico alum and Olympic runner Jarrin Solomon has opened what he believes is the area's first dedicated cryotherapy business. Located in the Journal Center at 7600 Jefferson St. NE, Excel Cryotherapy features a cryotherapy chamber, a lobby and a space with exercise equipment for clients to use post-session.

Cryotherapy is a process in which part of the body or the entire body is subjected to sub-zero temperatures for a short period of time — largely in effort to reduce inflammation in the body or treat lesions on the body. The 1,200-square-foot space is dedicated to the full body treatment process and uses liquid nitrogen to cool the chamber temperatures to more than -200 degrees Fahrenheit.

Pictured is the cryotherapy chamber at Excel Cryotherapy.

According to Solomon, who runs the business with his wife, Debra, the entire process of getting the company up and running took about eight to 10 months.

"It was about 8-10 months of legwork, getting the financing, finding a place. We invested close to $100,000, which is pretty cheap compared to a lot of businesses to start. However, it's an ongoing investment because of the cost of the liquid nitrogen," said Solomon.

Solomon has leased the location for three years with renewal options for two more years and says he expects to break even on the business within six to nine months.

"We'd like to add a second [cryo-chamber] room by the end of the year … Ideally, having 2,000 new, first-encounter clients and 3,500 sessions during the first year," he said.

Pictured is the exercise space in Excel Cryotherapy.

Cryotherapy is often used by professional athletes for recovery and performance purposes, as well as by consumers dealing with inflammatory diseases or injuries. Essentially an unregulated industry, special medical licenses are not required to operate a cryotherapy business. Solomon says he only needed a regular business license, to pass a fire marshal inspection and signage declaring usage of hazardous materials.

T&T Olympic Bronze medalist: Jarrin Solomon

Solomon is an Olympic track and field sprinter who represents Trinidad and Tobago; his father is famed athlete Mike Solomon, who represented Trinidad and Tobago in the 1976 and 1980 Olympics. His interest in cryotherapy stems from looking for an alternative to the ice baths he previously used for recovery following training sessions.

This is amazing. Big ups to Solomon. Great to see that he has a game plan or "race plan" for after track.

This is very inspiring. It would be an excellent post for a "BUSINESS, ENTREPRENEUR and NETWORKING" section for socawarriors.net. We have a section for jokes and entertainment gossip. I think it's about time we have a section for something that can truly benefit the community. Just an idea for now..

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Solomon golden in Madrid
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2015, 03:39:50 PM »
Solomon golden in Madrid
By Kwame Laurence (T&T Express)
Published on Jul 11, 2015, 8:46 pm AST

Jarrin Solomon about to start 400m at Meeting Madrid 2015

Jarrin Solomon topped the field in a men’s 400 metres event, at the 33rd Meeting Madrid IAAF World Challenge meet, in Spain, yesterday.

The Trinidad and Tobago quarter-miler got home in 45.20 seconds, the fourth fastest time of his career, to secure gold. Botswana’s Onkabetse Nkobolo clocked 45.36 to finish second, while third spot went to American Joshua Mance in 45.85.

Solomon’s T&T teammate, Renny Quow competed in the other men’s 400m race, the 2015 national champion finishing sixth in 45.37 seconds. Abdelalelah Haroun was the class of the field, the 18-year-old Qatari sensation completing his lap of the track in 44.63 to strike gold. American David Verburg claimed silver in 44.72, ahead of Saudi Arabia’s Yousef Ahmed Masrahi (44.79).

Jehue Gordon produced a 49.53 seconds run to finish fifth in the men’s 400m hurdles. Top spot went to Bahamian Jeffery Gibson in 48.89. Gibson finished ahead of American Jeshua Anderson, the runner-up in 49.14 seconds, and Nigeria’s Miles Ukaoma (49.29). Reigning Commonwealth Games champion, Cornel Fredericks was fourth in 49.50, the South African finishing just ahead of Gordon.

For Gordon, the 49.53 run was a big improvement on the 50.07 seconds clocking he produced in finishing eighth and last at Thursday’s Athletissima IAAF Diamond League meet in Lausanne, Switzerland. The 23-year-old T&T athlete is preparing for the defence of his IAAF World Championship title in Beijing, China, next month.

At the World University Games, in Gwangju, Korea, on Friday, T&T’s Kyle Stanley returned a time of one minute, 57.80 seconds to finish eighth in his first round heat. The University of Trinidad and Tobago (UTT) student did not qualify for yesterday’s semi-final round.

1]; } ?>