March 28, 2024, 10:41:54 AM

Author Topic: Carlos Suarez Thread.  (Read 9931 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Carlos Suarez Thread.
« on: July 31, 2012, 03:54:39 AM »
Is Carlos Suarez the first foreign-born boxer to represent T&T ?

He will make his Olympic debut for T&T today 10 am T&T time. He will compete in the men’s lightweight division. When the draw was made, Suarez pulled 23-year-old Ferhat Pehlivan from Turkey.

He is 19.

Suarez, of Lima, Ohio, has a Trinidadian mom and picked T&T rather than the USA.

He will be the second boxer to represent T&T at the Olympic Games after Kirt Sinnette, who participated at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics.

T&T's lone Olympic boxing qualifier Carlos Suarez poses with family members. Back row L-R: Baldeo Deosaran (uncle), Alfred Lee (grandpa), Joe Suarez (father) Front row L-R: Sheila Deosaran (aunt), Rita Lee (grandmother), Indra Suarez (mother), Carlos Suarez.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 03:59:34 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Carlos Suarez Thread.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 01:56:33 PM »
How Suarez do today?
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 03:17:21 PM »
Is Carlos Suarez the first foreign-born boxer to represent T&T ?

He will make his Olympic debut for T&T today 10 am T&T time. He will compete in the men’s lightweight division. When the draw was made, Suarez pulled 23-year-old Ferhat Pehlivan from Turkey.

He is 19.

Suarez, of Lima, Ohio, has a Trinidadian mom and picked T&T rather than the USA.

He will be the second boxer to represent T&T at the Olympic Games after Kirt Sinnette, who participated at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics.

T&T's lone Olympic boxing qualifier Carlos Suarez poses with family members. Back row L-R: Baldeo Deosaran (uncle), Alfred Lee (grandpa), Joe Suarez (father) Front row L-R: Sheila Deosaran (aunt), Rita Lee (grandmother), Indra Suarez (mother), Carlos Suarez.

Just nitpicking here, but Suarez didn't choose T&T over the USA. He took part in the US olympic qualifiers and didn't secure a spot after placing 11th . Only then did he pursue the T&T option.

I watched his fight today and I like his character. He has a lot of heart . He lost convincingly but the experience will serve him well in the future.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 03:22:31 PM »
Suarez eh no different that ppl like Shaka Hislop.

In his case he was born and grew up in the US and did what many athletes all over the world did, eg. Chris Birchall.

Would like to see this fight. Will be following his career if he turns pro.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 03:26:42 PM »
I was listening to Andrea reporting from England on i95Fm he say the youth cuss out boxhill and he said he will be going pro ,amature bxing is not for him .

He Suarez said he would not have anything to do with Boxhill Pots and the Trinbago boxing association .
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 07:01:14 PM »
I was listening to Andrea reporting from England on i95Fm he say the youth cuss out boxhill and he said he will be going pro ,amature bxing is not for him .

He Suarez said he would not have anything to do with Boxhill Pots and the Trinbago boxing association .

so Suarez lose badly 16-6. local boxing always have some controversy.his father said earlier he was glad to get out of Trinidad and all that negativity. So something was not right from the start

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 09:43:55 PM »
Good for he
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 10:33:15 PM »
Suarez batters Boxu

By Kwame Laurence in London

Carlos Suarez wants to turn pro by early 2013. He has no plans, though, of using Trinidad and Tobago as his base.

Following his opening round elimination at the hands of Turkey's Ferhat Pehlivan in the Olympic Games men's light flyweight (46-49 kilogrammes) division, at the ExCel South Arena 2, here in London, England, yesterday, Suarez launched a verbal attack on Trinidad and Tobago Boxing Board of Control (TTBBC) special adviser, Boxu Potts.

"In the pro game," the 19-year-old boxer told the Express, "Trinidad's horrible, because it's run by Boxu Potts. He's one of the worse managers I ever dealt with, one of the worst boxing people I've ever dealt with. He's a pure liar, and he did nothing but try to bring down my confidence."

Potts was at the ExCel South Arena 2, yesterday, for Suarez's first and last Olympic bout.

"Right after a fight," Potts told the Express, "you can talk to a fighter and their emotions can be high. Sometimes, fighters can say things they have to regret, because we are in the business of promoting and developing boxing, and they are a part of that development.

"I can advise him that he needs to train, he needs to work hard, he needs to use the basic fundamentals of boxing–food, exercise and rest. He needs to go back to the boxing school and learn his trade properly. He must learn to wake up early and go to bed early. I didn't fail Carlos Suarez. I brought him this far. He has failed himself by not living the life..."

Potts said if Suarez has a change of heart, he will not be turned away.

"If he wants to turn pro and he wants to be promoted in Trinidad and Tobago, our doors are always open. There are a lot of fighters that have criticised us before, and they come back and benefit from us–namely Wayne Braithwaite, namely Kirt Sinnette. A whole lot of other fighters in the past have done that, and they still have to come back."

But the American-born Suarez made it absolutely clear he is severing ties with T&T boxing.

"I have no intentions whatsoever–zero, negative 20 per cent–of turning pro or doing anything in Trinidad. But this was a great experience. It was a lot of hard work–I wouldn't say ups, a lot of downs. I have no regrets, though. I fought my heart out, tried to put on a show. From here on," Suarez ended, "I'm going to go pro."

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 02:05:34 AM »
He should have clarified why Buxo is a liar. Not good enough just to make accusations.

Would like to see a vid of this fight if possible.

VB

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 02:44:03 AM »
Suarez eliminated
...but T&T boxer is people's choice
By Kwame Laurence in London

Carlos Suarez lost his Olympic Games men's light flyweight opening round bout, but won the hearts of the spectators at the ExCel South Arena 2, here in London, England, yesterday.

Suarez went on the attack early in the first round and was busy again at the end. However, it was his Turkish opponent, Ferhat Pehlivan who did most of the scoring, taking a 5-2 lead.

Pehlivan also enjoyed the better of the second round, the southpaw stretching his advantage to 10-4.

The bout was not a great advertisement for amateur boxing. Pehlivan slipped to the canvas repeatedly, and produced little entertainment for the spectators. Suarez, on the other hand, did some showboating. The 19-year-old danced a bit and even eyeballed his opponent, in a display more suited to professional boxing.

The crowd, though, appreciated the Suarez Show, and cheered him on towards the end of the third and final round.

"Carlos, Carlos, Carlos."

There would be no big finish, however, from Suarez, Pehlivan winning 16-6 to advance to the round of 16.

"I didn't give up," Suarez told the Express. "I fought in the last round, maybe not as aggressive as I should have."

The T&T boxer described his defeat as a "horrible decision".

"This guy's in here slapping all the time. And he's falling over ten times in the fight, but I get a point taken away. Olympic boxing is not boxing. It's tag. Those aren't punches.

"I'm proud of my performance," Suarez continued. "At least I put on a show for the crowd."

T&T sailor Andrew Lewis enjoyed an improved showing on the second day of the men's Laser class event, on the Weymouth Harbour course, in Dorset.

Lewis finished 38th in race three and 40th in the fourth race to edge one spot up the overall standings, from 45th to 44th. On Monday, he was 46th and 43rd in the first two races.

Lewis has a four-race points total of 167, going into the third day of Laser action, on the Weymouth Bay West course, today.

Australia's Tom Slingsby finished second and sixth in yesterday's races to retain the overall lead. The five-time world champion has 11 points, while second-placed Pavlos Kontides of Cyprus won twice to jump from fourth to second, with 15 points. Sweden's Rasmus Myrgren (25) is third.

T&T's George Bovell was a non-starter in the men's 100 metres freestyle heats. Drawn to swim in heat four, the 2004 Olympic Games 200m individual medley bronze medallist opted to skip the event.

T&T chef de mission, Annette Knott told the Express Bovell is "saving his legs" for the 50m freestyle.

"Now that he's been in the pool, George is focusing on getting ready for the 50 free. He's confident he can reach the final."

The 50 free heats and semifinals will be contested tomorrow, while the final takes place on Friday.

Last Sunday, Bovell finished first in his heat and 29th overall in the men's 100m backstroke in a national record time of 55.22 seconds.

While Bovell is a veteran of four Olympics, many members of the T&T team here in London are debutants, including Suarez and Lewis.

Also on the list of first-timers are quartermilers Deon Lendore and Machel Cedenio and sprinter Jamol James.

Lendore, who will compete in the men's 400m and 4x400m events, said that being at the London Games is "a special feeling".

"Coming into the senior ranks," the 19-year-old athlete told the Express, "it wouldn't have been an easy task going to the Olympic Games. But I really tried hard to make this Olympic team. After getting a little experience with the (2011) Worlds team, I liked the feeling.

"The expectations right now," Lendore continued, "are to try to do the best that I could. I'm trying to take this experience, don't let it get the best of me, and try to turn this into a wonderful track meet."

Lendore enjoyed a successful freshman season at Texas A&M University, in the United States, improving his 400m personal best by more than a second, from 46.50 seconds to 45.13. He finished eighth in the one-lap final at the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Outdoor Championships, in Iowa, USA, and then bagged bronze at the T&T Championships.

Also at the National Championships, in Port of Spain, he teamed up with Renny Quow, Lalonde Gordon and Jarrin Solomon for a three minutes, 00.45 seconds clocking in the 4x400m relay, the victorious T&T quartet breaking a 20-year-old national record.

"We're hoping to break it again. That's the only way we could make it past the rounds and get into the final. I'm looking forward to me and my teammates doing the best we can, hopefully break the record again and make our country proud."

Cedenio is also on the men's mile relay squad.

"We have a good enough team to win the 4x4," Cedenio told the Express. "My expectation is high for us to medal."

The 16-year-old athlete is excited about his first Olympic experience.

"I watched Usain Bolt at the last Olympics on TV. Now I get to see it in real. And Richard Thompson, our silver medallist, this is the first time I'll see him running on the big stage."

Cedenio is already looking forward to the 2016 Olympic Games, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

"My aim is to bring home a gold medal in the 400."

James is here in London as part of the men's 4x100m squad. The 20-year-old University of Tennessee student said he is enjoying being around his more experienced sprint relay teammates—Thompson, Keston Bledman, Marc Burns, Rondel Sorrillo and Emmanuel Callender.

"Always good to be around the professionals. It's going to expand my artillery for next year. It's going to be awesome.

"This bridges the gap," James continued. "Bledman and everybody else would be on a different level, then there would be me, Moriba (Morain)…it's creating a chain line from up on top."

LOST BATTLE: Trinidad and Tobago's Carlos Suarez, left, won the heart of the crowd at ExCel South Arena 2 in London, but lost his Olympic round of 32 match to Turkey's Ferhat Pehlivan in their Light-flyweight 49-kg contest. —Photo: AP
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 02:47:49 AM »
Why would any foreign base want to represent T&T is beyond me.

The people incharge there is very unprofessional.

The Country is not bad, but the people, forget it !!!!

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 12:33:01 PM »

First of all this was his only choice if he wanted to compete in the Olympics.He couldn't make the USA team,I believe he tried and failed.Secondly if his outburst was during a press conference as mentioned this too was totally unprofessional.Boxing like EVERY single sport in T&T is always in some sort of controversy

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 02:29:48 AM »

Potts says Suarez was not prepared for Olympics
By STEPHON NICHOLAS Thursday, August 2 2012

TRINIDAD and Tobago Boxing Board of Control, Boxu Potts, said that local fighter, Carlos Suarez looked flat in his 16-6 defeat to Turkey’s Ferhat Perlivan on Tuesday in their Light Flyweight encounter at the London Olympics.

Potts, who is in London, believes Suarez’s preparation was not ideal going into the bout which affected his performance.

“He was very flat and didn’t have the energy to execute the skill that he has,” Potts declared.

According to Potts, Suarez was supposed to attend camps in Cuba, Ukraine and Venezuela but attended none which he believes hindered the fighter.

“He didn’t follow the programme we had for him...and didn’t allow the programme a chance to work,” the TTBBC Special Adviser declared.

Potts was adamant, however, that the 19-year-old could have beaten his Turkish opponent.

“He was not the aggressor as he should have been. He had all the openings but could not take advantage of it. His opponent was susceptible in the middle to uppercuts and left hooks...Carlos had him tailor-made as he didn’t have to jab him but he just didn’t have the energy to execute,” Potts declared.

Commenting on Suarez’s decision to go pro, the TTBBC official advised the young fighter to find himself a strength trainer and technical coach if he wants to be successful as well as move up in weight class.

Meanwhile, Potts revealed that he intends to forge ahead with plans to promote other young boxers including Andrew Fermin and Michael Alexander.

“Our vision is to let the younger ones learn from this experience,” he concluded.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 09:33:30 AM »

Let Carlos Suarez hull his mudder *#&%....

He wasn't good enough to make it for the USA, and it is this country that give him a chance to go to the Olympics. In other words, that is my tax dollars that sent him to London.

He gone quite London and get a corbeaux sweat, not because of Buxo Potts or the local boxing federation, but because he wasn't good enough. Allyuh ain't see the fool talking about how he wasn't feeling his opponents blows and wasn't hurt by them etc??

That is NOT the point of amateur boxing. It is to land as many contact blows as possible on your opponent to score points.. Not to knock down or hurt your opponent... Tap, tap, tap and score points...  Any Olympic grade boxer worth his while should understand this and should be tactically prepared to suit.

Then the fool coming and talking about he will never represent Trinidad and Tobago again, and we did nothing for him. I doh really care what his personal issue is with Potts, but to turn around and lambast the entire nation he representing that give him an opportunity??

And allyuh self have the gall to be asking why anyone would want to represent Trinidad?? The answer to that question is for the same reason that competitors for countries the world over with infinitely less resources than we do, represent their nations. National Pride!

Of which Carlos Suarez has none!! That short shit is simply about himself and about furthering his own interests..

Again.. Let him haul his mudder *%@#!!

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 10:04:41 AM »

Let Carlos Suarez hull his mudder *#&%....

He wasn't good enough to make it for the USA, and it is this country that give him a chance to go to the Olympics. In other words, that is my tax dollars that sent him to London.

He gone quite London and get a corbeaux sweat, not because of Buxo Potts or the local boxing federation, but because he wasn't good enough. Allyuh ain't see the fool talking about how he wasn't feeling his opponents blows and wasn't hurt by them etc??

That is NOT the point of amateur boxing. It is to land as many contact blows as possible on your opponent to score points.. Not to knock down or hurt your opponent... Tap, tap, tap and score points...  Any Olympic grade boxer worth his while should understand this and should be tactically prepared to suit.

Then the fool coming and talking about he will never represent Trinidad and Tobago again, and we did nothing for him. I doh really care what his personal issue is with Potts, but to turn around and lambast the entire nation he representing that give him an opportunity??

And allyuh self have the gall to be asking why anyone would want to represent Trinidad?? The answer to that question is for the same reason that competitors for countries the world over with infinitely less resources than we do, represent their nations. National Pride!

Of which Carlos Suarez has none!! That short shit is simply about himself and about furthering his own interests..

Again.. Let him haul his mudder *%@#!!

:applause: :applause:

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 10:09:55 AM »
Dinho nailed it
Youtube Channel

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2012, 06:25:27 AM »
Fabiean disgusted by Suarez comments
Published:
Sunday, August 5, 2012

http://www.guardian.co.tt/olympics/2012-08-04/fabiean-disgusted-suarez-comments

National boxer Arshad Fabiean is “really disgusted” by the remarks that T&T Olympian, Carlos Suarez, made after he was booted out of the Olympics in his opening bout in the men’s light flyweight last Tuesday.  Suarez made his debut at the Games with a dismal 16-6 loss to Turkey's Ferhat Pehlivan. Following his defeat, the US-born boxer unleashed an attack on the country and the T&T Boxing Association (T&TBA) in the aftermatch press conference. “Buxo Potts is one of the worst boxing people I have ever dealt with. He actually did nothing but try to bring down my confidence. And all the other people in TTAB (TTBA), they are liars,” Suarez lamented. Suarez further added that he has “no intention whatsoever of turning pro or doing anything in Trinidad.”  Fabiean said that upon Suarez’s qualification for the Olympics in Brazil, he challenged the Olympian to fight but got no response. Fabiean believes that Suarez avoided fighting him after he embarrassed the 18-year-old US resident during a televised training session prior to his departure for London. “When he came back (from Brazil) to Trinidad, Suarez and I had a sparring session in view of the media cameras.  They (the public) viewed me putting a beating on Suarez. He didn't even have ah answer, I was pounding on him like an African drum.

Coach (Reynold) Cox walked over in the training session and told me ‘Aye you not supposed to hit him, you supposed to take cuff. He's the Olympian, show him respect.’ I was surprised and somewhat demoralized by what coach Cox told me. I looked around to see if anyone heard what coach Cox told me and in doing (so I) Mr Boxu Potts told me, ‘make him earn his respect don’t give him any’.” “Suarez always kept his distance but will always drop small talk saying ‘I beat you already so I don't have to prove anything, you are nothing.’ So I simply said ‘Here what, let's spar again before you leave.’ Not expecting anything of him, he ran like a little scared child. Making excuses galore!”, expounded Fabiean. Fabiean’s contempt was compounded even more after he heard Suarez’s comments about the country after his Olympic trouncing. “I was really disgusted by Suarez’s comments because he took the sport I love and ran it through the gutter, and more so my country, which he went to represent on the global stage.”

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Carlos Suarez Robbed At Olympics Says Hello No To 2016
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2012, 09:29:00 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/aT-DCTj7H0s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/aT-DCTj7H0s</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Carlos Suarez Robbed At Olympics Says Hello No To 2016
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 10:20:59 AM »
Mods, move this to the Carlos Suarez thread.

VB

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Potts: We'll welcome back naughty Suarez
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2012, 11:24:38 PM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/Potts__We_ll_welcome_back_naughty_Suarez-166211026.html

Potts: We'll welcome back naughty Suarez
Story Created: Aug 14, 2012 at 10:56 PM ECT

"We are a very forgiving people, we'll forgive (Carlos Suarez), we'll take him in, we'll counsel him, we'll advise him, we'll assist him going forward. If he comes back here as a professional boxer we will help him. He's one of us."

With those words, Trinidad and Tobago Boxing Board of Control (TTBBC) special adviser Boxu Potts sought to assure the public, and perhaps the fighter himself, that he is welcome to return to fight for T&T, should he reconsider his position.

Suarez left the 2012 London Olympics in a bitter mood after losing his opening bout to Turk Ferhat Pehlivan on July 31. He then turned on Potts, launching a stinging attack on the former boxing promoter, whom he described as "one of the worse managers I've worked with".

Potts got in his own little jab yesterday during a TTBBC/T&T Amateur Boxing Association (TTABA) media conference at the Ministry of Sport's Abercromby St, Port of Spain headquarters, in the form of "advice" to Suarez.

"If you want to be a professional boxer, professional boxers start at six rounds and end at 12," Potts stated. "So you have to train yourself mentally, physically, technically, spiritually and emotionally. That's my advice to young Suarez. Get up in the morning early, go to sleep early, and eat right. Eat correct for your blood type also."

If Suarez decides to stay an amateur fighter, "he is stuck with us (in T&T)", said Potts, who likened the teenage fighter to a petulant child.

"Sometimes children behave naughty and you have to spank them and correct them," Potts continued. "They rebel. Suarez is one of our children who was naughty in areas, and he got a little spanking, and he rebelled, but we will help him and we are here to do that. That's so much for Suarez."

TTBBC chairman Annabelle Davis admitted that the Board may have handled the affair badly.

Said Davis: "By his going back to Ohio [after qualifying for the Olympics in a tournament in Brazil], and our not having a set contract in place, allowed a situation to continue where there was little control over what actually happened with the boxer in terms of his training and conditioning."

This made it difficult to control how the boxer trained for the Olympics, his diet and weight, and his match fitness.

"Although we sought to have certain commitments from the Suarez camp, commitments were breached. (TTABA president) Mr (Cecil) Forde felt we put together a fairly good package, which included his going to Cuba and Venezuela and then to the Ukraine, which ensured he would be a little less ring rusty."

According to Davis, who said Suarez is welcome to return to T&T if he wishes, the Board has learnt its lesson in the matter.

"The fact that he left the country, and represented the country from a disgruntled point of view, it was unfortunate to say the absolute least. That situation must never happen again. I think it was a learning experience for all of us."

—Kern De Freitas
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2012, 04:59:30 AM »
Suarez jokey yes, I can't believe he went into a competition not knowing the Olympic rules and how the boxing point system is handled
Youtube Channel

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2012, 11:10:36 AM »
Suarez jokey yes, I can't believe he went into a competition not knowing the Olympic rules and how the boxing point system is handled

Just becz he's complaining doesn't mean he doesn't know. Many boxers today both amateur and Pro agree the scoring system is a joke. One of the greatest Olympians ever, Roy Jones, says that if he were an amateur today, he wouldn't have wasted time going to the Olympic Games.

VB

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2012, 11:23:03 AM »

was that really the issue? seriously!!?....so when starboy say his opponents punches wasnt hurting him, he was completely unaware that they pullin punches and just lookin to score points?!?!

so wuh go happen when he turn pro and start to collect hand full bore...without the benefit of protective headgear
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Carlos Suarez Thread.
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2012, 01:49:00 PM »

was that really the issue? seriously!!?....so when starboy say his opponents punches wasnt hurting him, he was completely unaware that they pullin punches and just lookin to score points?!?!

so wuh go happen when he turn pro and start to collect hand full bore...without the benefit of protective headgear

Correct! That is exactly the issue, he didn't know how scoring system works
Youtube Channel

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2012, 05:17:08 PM »
If he did not know how the scoring system works, then that is Boxu and the boxing fed. fault.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2012, 05:44:51 PM »
If he did not know how the scoring system works, then that is Boxu and the boxing fed. fault.

The man is a seasoned amateur. He understands the scoring system. But in addition, his opponent kept "slipping." At the end of the day a lot of these amateur stars will be potongs in the pro game. Ever wonder why so many Cubans defect and can't do well in the pros.

Good luck to Suarez as  a pro.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
TTBB, ABATT may forgive boxer Suarez
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2012, 04:34:07 PM »
http://www.newsday.co.tt/sport/0,164982.html

TTBB, ABATT may forgive boxer Suarez
Saturday, August 18 2012

THE TOP two boxing governing bodies in Trinidad and Tobago, the Trinidad and Tobago Boxing Board of Control (TTBBC) and the Trinidad and Tobago Amateur Boxing Association (TTABA), have decided to offer the olive branch to American-born boxer Carlos Suarez, who competed for the twin-island republic at the recent Olympic Games in London, England.

At the Games, the 19-year-old Suarez lost 16-6 to Ferhat Pehlivan of Turkey in the light flyweight category but launched a scathing attack on TTBBC special adviser and former matchmaker and promoter Boxu Potts at the post - match press conference, declaring his intention to represent the United States at the professional level.

In a media conference on Tuesday, Potts said, “We are a very forgiving people, we’ll forgive (him), we’ll take him in, we’ll counsel him, we’ll advise him, we’ll assist him going forward. If he comes back here as a professional boxer we will help him. He’s one of us.”

Potts continued, “If you want to be a professional boxer, professional boxers start at six rounds and end at 12. So you have to train yourself mentally, physically, technically, spiritually and emotionally. That’s my advice to young Suarez. Get up in the morning early, go to sleep early, and eat right. Eat correct for your blood type also.” Potts revealed that Suarez, if he decides to remain an amateur, has to represent Trinidad and Tobago since he fought for the country of his mother at that level.

Annabelle Davis, chairman of the TTBBC, reflected on Suarez’s preparation methods for the Games.

“By his going back to Ohio (after qualifying for the London Games), and our not having a set contract in place, allowed a situation to continue where there was little control over what actually happened with the boxer in terms of his training and conditioning.”

She continued, “although we sought to have certain commitments from the Suarez camp, commitments were breached. (TTABA president Cecil) Forde felt we put together a fairly good package, which included his going to Cuba and Venezuela and then to the Ukraine, which ensured he would be a little less ring rusty.”

On a closing note, Davis acknowledged, “the fact that he left the country, and represented the country from a disgruntled point of view, it was unfortunate to say the absolute least. That situation must never happen again. I think it was a learning experience for all of us.”
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

1]; } ?>