March 28, 2024, 05:21:48 AM

Author Topic: Tears for Kobe from Trinidad  (Read 2275 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Tears for Kobe from Trinidad
« on: January 29, 2020, 01:21:07 PM »
Tears for Kobe from Trinidad
By  Stephon Nicholas (Newsday).

The tragic end of Kobe Bryant

Since Kobe died on Sunday, my mind has been unable to process this tragedy properly. Being at work when I got the news made it worse, as I could not allow my emotions to take control while there was still a paper to bring out.

Scrolling through my timeline on Twitter, I saw a person I followed quote the now-infamous TMZ article that broke the story, saying, "EXCUSE THE (EXPLETIVE) OUT OF ME."

I glanced at the TMZ headline out of curiosity to see what would elicit such a response – and then kept scrolling. I simply couldn't grasp what I had read. I kept scrolling and read two or three other posts before it registered.

I went back and read it over, slowly: "Breaking: Kobe Bryant Has Died In A Helicopter Crash."

I did not believe it. If Kobe had died, my timeline would have been flooded with other posts. I glanced right, at "trending topics" – and there it was, from 1-5: Kobe, RIP, Mamba...

I began to cuss.

"Oh (expletive), oh (expletive)."

It hit me like a sledgehammer in the chest. My idol, my hero was dead.

I've been asked by loved ones how and why I am so emotionally attached to Kobe, who didn't even know I existed. The answer is not easily explained.

Basketball never held much interest for me. I helped Hillview College qualify for Intercol for the first time in over a decade in 2003, and remain an avid football player– community leagues, but mostly recreational.

But today I love basketball more than football, even if I can't play it.

Being a sports fan, of course you knew about him, but my admiration for Kobe started around 7.30 pm. Not having cable TV, the only footage of Kobe that I saw was whenever he won the TV6 Play of the Day and you would see him do something amazing.

On any fast break where there was no defender blocking the pathway to the basket, you could always count on a spectacular 360-degree dunk from the Afro-headed Kobe. There would be no layup or ordinary dunk from this extraordinary player. Panache, immaculate footwork, insane handles, overconfidence and a wet, wet jumper – that was Kobe.

Supporting the Lakers from Trinidad is not for fair-weather fans. Games tipping off close to midnight and ending around 2am – for the working man, it was a challenge. But to see a Michael Jordan replica with an insane ability to get crazy hot from the field and go into video-game-god mode was well worth the zombie mode you'd be in as a fan the next day.

​It's always said that Los Angeles Laker fans have been spoiled over the years – Wilt Chamberlain, Jerry West, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Magic Johnson and Shaquille O'Neal. All these stars brought a championship to LA. Kobe brought five.

But it was not seeing him win two without Shaq – and destroy the notion he could not lead a team to a title – that made my admiration for him grow. It might sound a bit morbid, but my fascination with Kobe grew tenfold after seeing him tear his Achilles tendon in the 2012-2013 season. At 34, after the David Stern-vetoed Chris Paul trade in 2011, Kobe finally had the talent around him again to make a championship run and capture that elusive sixth NBA title – to match his idol, Jordan.

It was not to be. Dwight Howard had back problems the entire season and missed six games, Pau Gasol got injured and missed 33 games and Steve Nash missed 32. A coaching change early in the season after a poor start increased the pressure on Kobe. He was the only one who remained healthy – until the 80th game of the season.

After a poor start under Mike Brown, Lakers replaced him with the more offensive-minded Mike D'Antoni but the team did not gel quickly, and injuries derailed what could have been a successful season. Lingering out of the top eight after 55 games, Kobe guaranteed Lakers would make the playoffs and sounded a warning that they would be coming for the title.

That was enough assurance for me. But what Kobe did in those remaining games, I don't think any other NBA superstar could or would do. Till he tore his Achilles tendon in that fateful game against Golden State Warriors, Kobe averaged almost 46 minutes a night, while putting up incredible numbers and slowly lifting Lakers up the table. In that game against the Warriors that basically was the last time the world would see an elite Kobe Bryant, the "Black Mamba" had already logged 44 minutes and 54 seconds before blowing his Achilles with three minutes still to go in the game. He was on course to play virtually the entire 48 minutes of the game!

For Laker fans who followed the team that season, this mad brilliance was fascinating to behold. At an age when many NBA players were done with their careers, Kobe was playing the entire game and chasing his goals. He had chosen "24" on his jersey for a reason. It was one more than 23 (Jordan's iconic number) – but Kobe was still one shy of Jordan's six trophies.

ESPN reporter Baxter Holmes wrote in 2016 about that 2012-2013 season. He said Kobe's knees would be drowning in ice buckets after games; he would be unable to walk, and the locker room began fearing for his health. Teammate Antawn Jamison described Kobe's movements after games as being like "a 105-year-old woman."

No coach or teammate could convince Kobe he needed to play fewer minutes. No coach dared take him out of the game. He was chasing a ghost, and knew this was his last chance to catch Jordan. This was not Mamba mentality – this was madness, unsustainable. When the inevitable happened, no one was really surprised.

Kobe's death came more of a surprise than his Achilles injury.

But as a fan, to see someone willing to sacrifice everything – his body, his family life (how could he play with his daughters after playing himself to death on the court?) – to achieve his goal was nothing short of inspirational. Kobe became Kobe not because of his talent, but through his dedication to his craft and willingness to put in the extra work to be better than everyone else.

Household names like LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Carmelo Anthony and Chris Paul were given front-row seats to Kobe's tremendous work ethic alongside him on Team USA at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing. They got a first-hand view of the beast and what made him so deadly. After leading the team to a gold medal in China, Kobe went on to win back-to-back titles in 2009 and 2010 – his last NBA titles. LeBron, Wade, Stephen Curry and Kevin Durant would soon take over the NBA, but Kobe's influence can be seen in them and others.

After he retired, many people asked him whether he missed the NBA and his answer remained the same. He did not. He gave everything, and there was nothing else to give. Maybe that's why he was so successful post-NBA career. There were no regrets, even if 24 did not surpass 23.

Kobe was worth close to US$600 million when he died. He had won five NBA titles, two finals MVP, a league MVP and countless other accolades.

But this did not define him. He was fluent in three languages and could speak at least five. He won an Oscar after he retired. He never settled and always set new goals to improve himself.

In our personal lives as fans, we also strive for greatness and have our own goals. We watch movies and see beautiful and charming actors flaunt lavish lifestyles and it seems beyond our ordinary 8-4 or 9-5 lives. Sometimes we hope for a better life by wishing and praying, yet reach no closer to our goals. We prioritise a lot of frivolous activities instead of using that time wisely to work towards our dreams.

As a fan, I've not put some of the things I've learned from following his career fully into practice. But the shot clock has not expired yet. 3-2-1 Kobeeeee!

RELATED NEWS

Kobe Bryant death: Latest news, updates, reactions as Lakers legend, NBA icon dies at 41 in helicopter crash
By Brad Botkin (cbssports)

The five-time NBA champion was one of nine people who died in a helicopter crash in Los Angeles County on Sunday

Los Angeles Lakers icon and five-time NBA champion Kobe Bryant died Sunday in a helicopter crash in Calabasas, California. An investigation into the crash that killed all nine people on board, including Bryant, 41, and his 13-year-old daughter Gianna, is ongoing, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.

CBS Sports will provide the latest information confirmed, as well as social media reaction, here.

Here is what has been confirmed so far:

A Sikorsky S-76B helicopter crashed just before 10 a.m. PT near Calabasas, California.

Bryant and his daughter were headed to Mamba Sports Academy in Thousand Oaks, California, for a youth basketball event.

The helicopter carrying Bryant and eight others had been given special permission to fly despite foggy conditions, according to a report from the New York Times. Due to the inclement weather, the chopper was flying quite low, according to CNN, who reported, "At one point, an air traffic controller informed the pilot, "You're still too low for flight following at this time," meaning the chopper wasn't flying high enough to register on radar.

Nine confirmed deaths and no survivors.

All nine victims have been identified, according to CBS News.

Kobe Bryant and his 13-year-old daughter Gianna were on board.

John Altobelli, a champion baseball coach at Orange Coast College, was killed along with his wife Keri and daughter Alyssa.

Other victims include: Christina Mauser, Sarah Chester, Payton Chester, Ara Zobayan.

A brush fire caused by the crash prevented first responders from immediately getting to the site.

There was no black box in the helicopter. Having one was not a requirement.

The pilot had 8,200 hours of flight time as of records submitted in July. His record, along with the records of any crew, will be examined during the investigation.

The helicopter circled Glendale for 14 minutes after takeoff. The pilot proceeded to climb into the clouds before taking a sharp turn and ultimately hitting the ground.

Los Angeles County Fire Chief Daryl Osby: "The Los Angeles County Fire Department's initial response was 15 pieces of apparatus and 56 personnel."

Los Angeles County Fire Chief Daryl Osby: "At 9:47 a.m. the Los Angeles County Fire Department received a 911 call of a potential helicopter down and a brush fire...Upon arrival, our firefighters discovered approximately a quarter-acre brush fire that resulted from a crash on the hillside."

The bodies of all nine victims of Sunday's crash have been recovered according to the Los Angeles County coroner's office. They have been "transported to the department's Forensic Science Center," the coroner's department said in a statement. The final body was recovered on Tuesday.

Investigators have not yet established the cause of the crash. They will examine the pilot's history, the condition of the aircraft and the weather conditions among various other things during the investigation.
The Sikorsky S-76B helicopter carrying Kobe Bryant, Gianna and the seven others did not possess a recommended safety device, according to AP, though it remains unclear if it would have helped prevent the fatal accident. 

Bryant will be remembered as one of the greatest players of all time, as his resume pretty much speaks for itself. His accolades include:

Spent 20 seasons in the NBA, all with the Lakers
Fourth-leading scorer in NBA history (33,643 points)
Five-time NBA champion, twice named Finals MVP
18-time All-Star
11-time All-NBA First Team
Nine-time NBA All-Defensive First Team
Two-time Olympic gold medalist
Youngest player in NBA history at the time of his debut in 1996

« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 01:24:16 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Tears for Kobe from Trinidad
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 01:27:12 PM »
Fire Alison Morris, NBC Anchor
Change.org

Following the traffic death of Kobe Bryant and his 13yo daughter, Alison Morris, NBC anchor, attempted to report on their passing.  However, instead of naming the actual team for which Kobe played (LA Lakers), she referred to the team as the LA N*gg*ers. In a failed attempt to make us all UNhear what we just Heard, Alison rushed to Twitter and wrote:
Twitter › AlisonMorrisNOW
Alison Morris

"Earlier today, while reporting on the tragic news of Kobe Bryant’s passing, I unfortunately stuttered on air, combining the names of the Knicks and the Lakers to say 'Nakers.' Please know I did not & would NEVER use a racist term. I apologize for the confusion this caused."

We were not confused... She said what she said..we heard her loud and clear. As such, we call for her immediate termination! Immediate!

We don't want our children to be subjected to this blatant racism. Even if this was a huge, absolutely unexplainable stutter, her incompetence is too egregious to continue as an anchor for a trusted news network.

#FireAlisonMorris

https://www.change.org/p/nbc-fire-alison-morris-nbc-anchor?source_location=petitions_browse

ACTUAL VIDEO - https://twitter.com/i/status/1221533196765908993

« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 01:29:05 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 04:13:06 AM »
Such a tragic story and untimely death not just for Kobe and his daughter but the others too.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 05:11:48 AM »

[Video] Tearful Michael Jordan gives Speech at Kobe’s Memorial

https://socamusictv.blogspot.com/2020/02/video-tearful-michael-jordan-gives.html

1]; } ?>