March 28, 2024, 12:28:22 PM

Author Topic: Building An Academy In Trinidad  (Read 25356 times)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
If remembered correctly, he was at Virginia Commonwelath(correct me). LP was there for a season or 2. I remembered vaguely VA playing Howard at DC. Can't remember the score. He and a Russian or Ukrainian were the standout of the team. Of the little I remembered of the game, he had good first touch and good ball movement. that's about it.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
As to the statement that Sherwood is a business man like LaFoucade. Well, welcome to reality. Football acadamies are a business. They are also benevolent associations to a point. The money they get may assist in bringing in a couple players who have no means of attending the academies. And one of those said players might turn out to be a Dwight Yorke, Latapy, Raheem Sterling or Messi.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
they know where the real talent is but they choose to do otherwise.

If allyuh know where the real talent is, allyuh should be opening allyuh own academies and turning out the next Yorke, Latapy, etc.  Since Dwight, who have we produce to international acclaim? Zilch.  Maybe Dwight was a "fluke".
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 12:35:50 PM by Deeks »

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Fellas, again I have no issues with Coache's criticisms, the only thing that I hope is that his criticisms are not coming from a place of bias. The fact that he is a Benedicts/ Ivan Sampson fan means that he would be aware of all players playing in south in that era and he may remember one or two games involving Benedicts and Presentation College of which I would have been a part of. He should also know that Ivan has a coaching academy in Washington DC and does quite well with that, most of those kids are coming from the suburbs of Virginia. I did attend and play for Presentation College for a little while, but grew up just outside Point (Gonzalez Village) and spent two years going to Vessingny Secondary School. Both Ivan and I actually sat the same exam to transfer into Pres on the same day in the same office. Many Benedicts fans would be surprised to know that Ivan could have been at Pres had things worked out differently. The point is - I hope that Coache's response/criticism is not based on the fact that I attended one of his rival schools. I doubt it very much, but say what! As far the academy being established to make money, what I can tell you is that nothing I do in Trinidad will ever compensate me in manner that is remotely close to what I earned in the States. One or two guys on the forum knew me in the States and can attest to that, I still have a home in the US and allot of people questioned why I would leave that life to come back to Trinidad to do football of any kind, the answer is simple - I feel that with the talent that's here in this country, allot can be done if a professional developmental environment is created for them! I have seen it work in the States, and I strongly believe that it can be done here in Trini.
Now that said, it does cost money to run this thing, I have 6 people on payroll right now, there is office space to pay for, ground maintenance, equipment, uniforms, little things that you never think off (a Portable toilet as required by law is $1200 mthly)....and none of it is free - but it is simply the cost of running any organization in a professional manner.
Secondly, I do know where the talent is in south, and I have good football men in places like Point, La Brea, Siparia, Santa Flora, in fact I am going up to Moruga on Tuesday to see a 10 year old up there - apparently the youth man is a very talented and comes highly recommended from a gentleman who coaches a primary school up there. His school would have been playing in Tobago but lost in Arima in the regional finals - Coache should know what competition I am referring too. So believe me, I know where the talent is, however, our biggest challenge is working out the logistics of getting kids from those areas to come up here in San Fernando to train. We are working on those issues as we speak. One of the major problems today is that some parents/players are not as willing to make the necessary sacrifices as was the case in the old era. As an 11/12 year old, I already knew what it meant to take a taxis/bus at 5:30 in the morning from Gonzales to San Fernando, to Curepe and then to St Augustine for national under 14 training - only the rich had cars in those days so if you wanted it bad enough that's what you had to do as a south man. The parents of these kids that we are looking at today are just not willingly to do that, and most of them actually have cars. What they are hoping is that we can make arrangements to have their kids picked up, and, we are willingly to do just that - but again, its not free! So I do want Coache to know that I am fully aware of the location of allot of the talent in south and efforts are being made to get talented kids to a place that can afford them a better opportunity. I am very much man of these areas, and I know them well. In fact, there is a young man from Santa Flora that has already benefitted from the type of opportunities that we can provide - he has an offer of a full scholarship to one of the biggest schools in the US pending an SAT. There has never been a Trini playing at this type of University before. In fact, we have already secured scholarships for three players from the same school here in south to attend universities in the States, these players (high profile college footballers) had no options prior (which was very surprising).  These schools will ensure that these players, once they perform - will have MLS opportunities and a chance of a better life.
The academy is set up for one purpose: to develop young players, expose them to outside competition, and lastly - to create opportunities for them. Our model is that those who "HAVE" will essentially pay for those who do not. My hope is that guys like Coache will come out from the disguise of the key board and make a contribution. I have received a few phone calls from a number of guys with "coaching schools" pretending to parents of interested players seeking information as what we hope to do differently, and I hope Coache aint one of them. As I stated to these people http://usportt.com/archives/32158 we hope to work in unison with everyone and anyone for the betterment of players who want to be exceptional! In fact, this is the quote so ur doh have to go through the article:

“Lastly, I would like to state that we are here to work in unison with anyone who is
passionate about producing great kids and great players. I feel that in a country this
small, we simply cannot afford to be opposed to collaboration and the exchanging of
ideas that will ultimately contribute to the development of our players here in Trinidad
and Tobago. The only thing that we ask for is professionalism.”

Alright fellas, ah going and take a sweat in PVILLE, sorry bout the long response... Bless!         
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 08:59:14 PM by amwood »

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
First of all ah big 'BIG UP' to coache!!!

...“Lastly, I would like to state that we are here to work in unison with anyone who is
passionate about producing great kids and great players. I feel that in a country this
small, we simply cannot afford to be opposed to collaboration and the exchanging of
ideas that will ultimately contribute to the development of our players here in Trinidad
and Tobago. The only thing that we ask for is professionalism.”

Alright fellas, ah going and take a sweat in PVILLE, sorry bout the long response... Bless!         

If not for he comment Sherwood might not have had to clarify (even more) what/why/and how he does what he does.

'they know where the real talent is but they choose to do otherwise.'

I guess he does know where the real talent is and he choosing to go get it.

I just mention dat Pville sweat in another post today yes, niceness :)
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Fellas, just wanted to share a little update, we one month into the little academy setup and the youths are really getting the concept...focus continues tuh be on developing sound technique, introducing concepts of dynamic movement, and very importantly - executing at SPEED. Used some of the youths in the video to kindda demonstrate those concepts...Bless!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HYtjlU9JQs

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
Fellas, just wanted to share a little update, we one month into the little academy setup and the youths are really getting the concept...focus continues tuh be on developing sound technique, introducing concepts of dynamic movement, and very importantly - executing at SPEED. Used some of the youths in the video to kindda demonstrate those concepts...Bless!

Thanks for the update.

If I may. How often do these players train in the Academy?
             What is the training to game ratio?
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
No Best Academy in Trinidad..not in this lifetime...

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile

Thanks for the update.

If I may. How often do these players train in the Academy?
             What is the training to game ratio?

We are going three times per week initially, once the lightning comes online - we are planing on going 4 times per week. What ive come to realize is that allot of parents are not accustomed to the concept of training regularly. Allot of our players were training once a week elsewhere...

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
No Best Academy in Trinidad..not in this lifetime...

We trying coache, we trying....ah hiring and if you want, we can offer you a little end, as I mentioned to you before - doh be afraid to come thru and show your face man. Interesting thing fellas is that our players are seeing cars belonging to other coaches. I wish these guys would just come thru, take a look, make ah suggestion or two. Collaboration and discussion can only make the things better..

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Awright pardner..I apologize..I watch the video and I see allyuh in need of  plenty help but it's a damn good start. We must bear in mind the reason for the Academy..if it's just to teach the game or to develop elite players. In order to develop elite players we must identify elite athletes.
 Now ..not too many of your players from the video  dont have those qualities but you need them to pay the bills.
An evalution system should be in place to identify these types of players. Longtime footballers played football ..nowadays everybody want to play..A philosophy of speed should be adopted  maybe a track coach should be part of your staff .

Offline diamondtrim

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile

Difference between, Mexico, Brazil etc and Trinidad?....Technical Speed.........

If this is one of the basic concepts this academy is teaching, big big big respect!!!

Offline Jack Horner

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Sherwood should stick to building car amps.

Jack Warner will rise again and the world will beg him him to return and he will say "NO".............

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Sherwood should stick to building car amps.

:cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :busshead:

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile

Difference between, Mexico, Brazil etc and Trinidad?....Technical Speed.........

If this is one of the basic concepts this academy is teaching, big big big respect!!!

Playing at speed is the key, I was bun in 15 mins in a u20 World Cup game against Australia, and the coaches all thought we were fit. We simply were not prepared to play at that speed - under that type of pressure. Everything we ask our Academy kids to do is based on their ability to execute with maximum speed relative to their ability...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 03:20:05 PM by amwood »

Offline diamondtrim

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile

Playing at speed is the key, I was bun in 15 mins in a u20 World Cup game against Australia, and the coaches all thought we were fit. We simply were not prepared to play at that speed - under that type of pressure. Everything we ask our Academy kids to do is based on their ability to execute with maximum speed relative to their ability...

I didn't learn about technical speed until I was more or less done with the whole competitive football thing....and I've been on national teams from u17 to u23...smh

So I'm really glad to see this being done at this early stage.....best of luck in this endeavour.....if there's anything I may be able to help with I'm there......

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Speed is something I focus on in my training..that's why I stick with African players..they love to use it.
When I went to conferences in Brazil I noticed that one club in particular had a very scientific approach to getting players to play faster.
I went to Holland a few years later and saw that PSV had a scientific approach to this thing called speed.
I have been implementing these training methods as well as methods of my own at the amateur level..one of my players went to Romania on contract and now he's back and is the main man for the Atlanta Silverbacks..Borfor Carr..he would be a nice player for our National team..Personally I feel we should go to Africa and look for some players to Nationalize.

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Talent ..plenty in the south ..that is true..Three of the most important elements for this academy:
#1: Resources
#2: Resources
#3: Resources

Allocation of resources is most important..It's great that Mr Sherwood has vision b/c most of us don't.
Sponsorship for transportion i.e taxi service from the various areas to get the kids ..to  bring them to the training facility.
At Ajax they make an arrangement with the school the get the kids early then bring them back to the Academy where the kid would  get a meal then get help with their school work before they train.
Ajax only recruit kids from  within a 50 mile radius of the city of Amsterdam
They also have something called 'Talent Day' where the club open it's doors for new  kids to come in and have a weekend of screenings ..the coaches watch..select and give a yea or nay for a second look.
You could do something similar or work towards something similar..You need lots of financial help
but a man of your history in the south would be able to connect with a lot of people.
The thing I see in Trinidad is that people want to call all kinds of club set up an academy

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
coache, you do bring out some good points, but bringing African players and naturalizing them is a joke! Right!!!

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Well padnah my experience with African players is that these guys live for the sole purpose of playing football. Many of them in Africa especially the refugees have enormous talent. They play countless hours in refugee camps..they play long hours to escape their reality (hardship). African players are undoubtedly in my mind the best football atheletes on the planet with the exception of Cristiano Ronaldo
I feel he is part african...there has to be African blood in there..If I had the power I would go to Africa and bring players back to Trinidad. I am working with some right now young talent..that's why Dwight Yorke did so well..skillwise Sherwood was as good as or better than Yorke..even Ivan Sampson ..but the genetic makeup is what made Yorke an outstanding player. So.. genes..very important quality to get an elite player..

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
A good academy should first have a vision and a philosophy . The staff should comprise of not only football coaches but a nutritionist, trainers, academic tutors, and physical therapy staff.
At Ajax  for example the kids are tutored in academia before training;there are days the kids do Judo..I asked why Judo..the response was that while the boys are young and growing they have to  grow without the fear of getting hurt. Judo is a sport which involves lots of grappling, tumbling, falling etc..the flexibility increases and the strength between ligaments and joints increases. That's  why Messi is like a rubber ball. Messi was at PSV ..PSV copied Ajax's  program and added their own scientific beliefs for example PSV takes genetic makeup into consideration...why? because a kid could be a childstar but when he becomes  an older teen  to adult he becomes average. Ajax on the other hand have not adopted the science and as a result Ajax lost their lustre a bit.
What I am trying to say there's  a lot that's involved to get players to play at the next level.
It's easier to just go to Africa and bring players who developed themselves through their process of survival of the fittest.

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
A good academy should first have a vision and a philosophy . The staff should comprise of not only football coaches but a nutritionist, trainers, academic tutors, and physical therapy staff.
At Ajax  for example the kids are tutored in academia before training;there are days the kids do Judo..I asked why Judo..the response was that while the boys are young and growing they have to  grow without the fear of getting hurt. Judo is a sport which involves lots of grappling, tumbling, falling etc..the flexibility increases and the strength between ligaments and joints increases. That's  why Messi is like a rubber ball. Messi was at PSV ..PSV copied Ajax's  program and added their own scientific beliefs for example PSV takes genetic makeup into consideration...why? because a kid could be a childstar but when he becomes  an older teen  to adult he becomes average. Ajax on the other hand have not adopted the science and as a result Ajax lost their lustre a bit.
What I am trying to say there's  a lot that's involved to get players to play at the next level.
It's easier to just go to Africa and bring players who developed themselves through their process of survival of the fittest.

And at the end of it all, they'll be lucky if they could get 3 to turn pro out of the class. I don't think ppl understand the type of investment that is involved in modern day sports. We've been surviving purely on luck and raw talent.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Well padnah my experience with African players is that these guys live for the sole purpose of playing football. Many of them in Africa especially the refugees have enormous talent. They play countless hours in refugee camps..they play long hours to escape their reality (hardship). African players are undoubtedly in my mind the best football atheletes on the planet with the exception of Cristiano Ronaldo
I feel he is part african...there has to be African blood in there..If I had the power I would go to Africa and bring players back to Trinidad. I am working with some right now young talent..that's why Dwight Yorke did so well..skillwise Sherwood was as good as or better than Yorke..even Ivan Sampson ..but the genetic makeup is what made Yorke an outstanding player. So.. genes..very important quality to get an elite player..

Ajax lost its luster due to 90km ruling in Holland. they simply no longer get first pick of the cream of the crop. Almost every team in Holland now have a PDP of high quality. This has created competition for selection. All the judo & science aside, talent is first and foremost a matter of scouting the bread basket programs of the amateur clubs. Outside of all the professional clubs in Holland, their exist over 3600 amateur clubs, that is an astonishing number. Holland recognizes that the survival of all football lays in its amateur structure. France as an example has just realized that their amateur structure has been ignored, as a consequece they are not getting he same quality to select from. The same has been identiied in most of the UK. Genetic do play a major factor in athletic ability but necessarily in football. This is why this game is so unlike many sports, there exist room for all. Spain, Argentina & Mexico as  examples recognized that their genetic make up is not exactly, for lack of a better term "athletic," yet they have found a way to survive & even find success in our sport
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

And at the end of it all, they'll be lucky if they could get 3 to turn pro out of the class. I don't think ppl understand the type of investment that is involved in modern day sports. We've been surviving purely on luck and raw talent.

Serious money sah! Not counting the facilities. Ajax 6 million Euro, Arsenal 3 million Euro, Sporting 4 million Euro, Newcastle 3 million Euro. Lens 6 million Euro, Bayern 3 million Euro. However, almost all admit the uncertainity of player development. Sporting as an example, indicated that since they have this elaborate new structure they have yet to produce another CR, Figo or Nani, these players came from the old gravel pitches in their respective cities.
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Well..padnah observer I did say talent is important but Anthony Sherwood and Ivan Sampson had loads of it..I made that point Leonson Lewis didn't have the kind of talent those two had, but he got much farther because of his athletic ability ..the man is a machine..Dwight Yorke is a machine..
I have coached Mexicans and played against them many years...padnah these people are AZTECS ..original people their genes  allowed these people to have unbelievable strength.. they built pyramids and causeways in Mexico ;their looks are deceiving
The people from south america to include Argentina,Brazil, Peru they are Incas and other types of Indian..very strong people..look at Messi ,Maradonna,Aguero,these people are not Northern europeans ,look at Ronaldinho he is part  aboriginal Indian and african ..that's real power..Don't get tie up with these people..why you think Mexican could run so fast?
Ajax produce top players like Edgar Davids, Clarence Seedorf Aaron Winter, the list of black players go on these are black players from Suriname ..genetics..
The majority of top footballers in Europe ..African players ..spread all across europe in various leagues..genetics..
The U.S NBA..virtually all black..the NFL..all black..genetics..GENES make a HUGE difference in the quality of the athlete ..some of the most talented players I have seen come from Japan but them fellas don't have what an African player got with half the skill
Didier Drogba ..started with no touch but yet the man made millions b/c he is a machine..a player of similar talent is playing right now in Skinner Park but that player don't have the athletic ability..genes.
Yorke and Latapy ..fete whole night then go play a big match the next day.. no problem..Genetics..

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I'm enjoying this thread now. People talking serious business. Like coache, I truly believe that genetics has a huge part to play. However, no matter what your genetic background, you still need professionalism. Yes Yorke can party hard, but he was also very professional in training, so I've been told. I have said before that there are extremely talented players in T&T, but the reason that they don't get their chance in the big leagues is the coaching system here in T&T. Intercol kills the development of professional footballers. I know extremely talented 17 and 18 year old boys who will not join a Pro League team because they are big stars in Intercol. They don't study, they don't improve their education. Yet they are encouraged to stay in school. For what? At least if they entered Pro League football they'd have a chance at a career.

These talented kids should be identified by the age of 14 and nurtured, coached, educated so that they develop a professionalism that complements their "genetic" talent.

My favourite analogy is T&T's oil industry. If we just took oil out of the ground and shipped it, we'd be lucky to find a market and when we do, we'd earn bottom dollar. But we refine it so it meets the demands of the global market and fetches top dollar.

We don't refine our football product. And we ship it overseas with a lot of work still to do. Until we have a true national academy, this will always be the case.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Well..padnah observer I did say talent is important but Anthony Sherwood and Ivan Sampson had loads of it..I made that point Leonson Lewis didn't have the kind of talent those two had, but he got much farther because of his athletic ability ..the man is a machine..Dwight Yorke is a machine..
I have coached Mexicans and played against them many years...padnah these people are AZTECS ..original people their genes  allowed these people to have unbelievable strength.. they built pyramids and causeways in Mexico ;their looks are deceiving
The people from south america to include Argentina,Brazil, Peru they are Incas and other types of Indian..very strong people..look at Messi ,Maradonna,Aguero,these people are not Northern europeans ,look at Ronaldinho he is part  aboriginal Indian and african ..that's real power..Don't get tie up with these people..why you think Mexican could run so fast?
Ajax produce top players like Edgar Davids, Clarence Seedorf Aaron Winter, the list of black players go on these are black players from Suriname ..genetics..
The majority of top footballers in Europe ..African players ..spread all across europe in various leagues..genetics..
The U.S NBA..virtually all black..the NFL..all black..genetics..GENES make a HUGE difference in the quality of the athlete ..some of the most talented players I have seen come from Japan but them fellas don't have what an African player got with half the skill
Didier Drogba ..started with no touch but yet the man made millions b/c he is a machine..a player of similar talent is playing right now in Skinner Park but that player don't have the athletic ability..genes.
Yorke and Latapy ..fete whole night then go play a big match the next day.. no problem..Genetics..

Coache yuh all over the place with your argument. I will leave you dey. ???
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Refining our talents ..very good point. You know that in the late 50's and 60's Dom Basil realized there were a lot of talent in the deep south. He decided to refine the talent and brought Auguste Wooter from Suriname to do just that. These were were natural talents as well as phenominal athletes. Jan Steadman, Leroy Deleon,Warren Archibald, Steve David all  11 secs in a 100m dash. These guys were naturally fast. When you get that kind of talent to nuture ..ofcourse you'll have something great..I remember I sat down in a sportsday and watched Leonson Lewis run below 11secs...we have the athletes we have the talent but like you said development is key.
On the other hand you can't take a slow  wimpy kid  with no coordination, running on his heels and expect to produce an elite player ..at best you'll get average ..even with the best coaching..I know ..I have done it for years. I know Sherwood have it too..usually the parents of those kids are very enthusiastically involved.

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Sorry if I lost you Mr Observer but the clubs actually look at the kid's parents. If the parents  are  tall, athletic, have a history in playing sports etc..  ..I feel that  if they could put the parents thru tests they would do that too. You see they invest a lot of money so they want to make sure that when the kid grows up the kid has desirable characteristics.
the anomolies in the game right now are Messi, Iniesta, Xavi..but what I have learned is that if a player is below 2m in  height ...that player must be able to carry his little body as fast or faster than the standard 2m player  by moving his legs at a rate of so many revolutions per min... it's actually measured...I think it's 2m correct me but it's about 5ft 9inch would be the shortest they'd like to go with.

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
90km rule applies to all the clubs in Holland..so science have  come into the picture to improve on the talents you have to work with..thus concepts such as the economy of motion  were developed.

1]; } ?>