March 28, 2024, 04:13:02 PM

Author Topic: Carnival 2013  (Read 9016 times)

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Carnival 2013
« on: January 22, 2013, 09:17:45 AM »
TUCO: Calypso competition on stream
By JANELLE DE SOUZA Tuesday, January 22 2013
http://newsday.co.tt/carnival_2013/0,172368.html

All national calypso shows seem to be in full stream as the Trinbago Unified Calypsonians’ Organisation (TUCO) yesterday announced that the Calypso Monarch, and Junior Calypso Monarch preliminaries would be held this weekend.

In addition, the finals for Extempo, as well as the Junior Calypso Monarch competitions will all be held on Monday, February 4, at the Queen’s Park Savannah from 7.30 pm, and 10 am respectively.

In a release, TUCO noted that 30 Junior Calypso Monarch semi-finalists were chosen to perform on Saturday, January 26, from 10 am at City Hall Auditorium, Port-of-Spain. They would vie for 15 spots in the finals, where they would compete against the reigning monarch, Aaron Duncan.

On January 26 and 27 at the National Academy for the Performing Arts (NAPA), live auditions would also be held for the Calypso Monarch competition, and categories from 9 am, with registration for all categories, beginning at 8 am.

The preliminary judging would accommodate unattached calypsonians, as well as those from calypso tents, who wish to address the judges with a different song from the one performed at their respective tents.

TUCO Public Relations Officer, Karega Mandela, noted that judging at the tents began approximately two weeks ago, and had been “running smoothly.” He said judging would continue tonight at Klassic Russo calypso tent, at several tents in Tobago tomorrow and Thursday, at Kaiso Showcase on Friday, and at NAPA over the weekend.

Mandela said the Calypso Monarch semi-finals list would most likely be announced on Monday January 28.

The semi-finalists would perform at the Calypso Fiesta on February 2 at Skinner Park, San Fernando, and the finalists on February 7 at the Queen’s Park Savannah from 7 pm.

The Junior Monarch Competition semi-finalists are as follows:

Calypsonian      School      Calypso    
   Alesha Alleng      East Mucurapo Secondary      Trinbago Will Rise Again    
   Allayaha Sylvan      Mason Hall Secondary      Respect the Pan    
   Aneka Collins      ASJA Girls, Charlieville      What I Want To Be    
   Annalise Emmanuel      Sacred Heart Girls RC      We Killing De Art    
   Chelister Rochford      Cunapo St Francois RC      They Eh Ready Yet    
   Emily Allen      Barrackpore East      Do Powers    
   Ferdinand Smith      Swaha Hindu College      Golden Keshorn    
   Garve Sandy      Bishops High School      Pillars of TT    
   Jerod Michael Griffith      Carapichaima RC      Our Children, Our Future    
   Jerome Rodriguez      St Mary’s Government      Unsatisfied Nation    
   Jerrisha Duncan-Regis      St James Secondary      When Last    
   Marq Pierre      The Sangre Grande Educational Institute      What If We Know    
   Necoda Francis      Woodbrook Secondary      Pass the Baton    
   Nekeisha Victor      Mucurapo West Secondary      Nine Day Wander    
   N’Janela Regis      Eshe’s Learning Centre      Record My Song    
   Raeann Guerra      San Juan South Secondary      Keep The Faith    
   Renald Alleyne-Noreiga      St Mary’s College      Pan Wars    
   Reshawn Goodridge      St Mary’s College      Family Is The Key    
   Rivaldo London      Fyzabad Presbyterian      Parents    
   Ronaldo London      Fyzabad Secondary      I Have Learnt To Rise    
   Sasha-Ann Moses      San Juan South Secondary      My BB & Me    
   Shaquille Simmons      Goodwood High School      Evil Forces    
   Sharissa Camejo      Sacred Heart Girls RC      Ah Supporting Meh Country    
   Sherisse Collymore      COSTAAT      The Game We Play    
   Shervonne N’Kola Rodney      El Dorado West Secondary      Beat That    
   Shurlana Matas      College of Legal Studies Ltd      There Is Something    
   Stefan Justin Sealey      El Dorado East Secondary      Blame The Parents    
   Tenisha Weeks      Bishop Anstey High POS      Would You Believe    
   Tsahai Corbin      St Joseph Convent POS      Consequences    
   Tyrese J Williams      Arima Boys RC School      The Diplomat   

Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Carnival 2013
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 09:19:02 AM »
17 for Chutney Soca Monarch finals
Published: Sunday, January 20, 2013
http://guardian.co.tt/carnival/2013-01-20/17-chutney-soca-monarch-finals

Patrons at the semi final round of the Chutney Soca Monarch at the Rienzi Complex, Couva on Friday night partied the night away as they listened to 42 artistes competing for a place in the finals scheduled for January 26 at the Skinner Park, San Fernando.

The 17 finalists competing at Skinner Park for the finals are:
• Saleem “Stinky” Beharry
• Omadath Maharaj
• Adesh Samaroo
• Drupatee Ramgoonai
• Sally Sagram
• Hemlatha Dindial
• Veekash Sahadeo
• Michelle X
• Kenneth Supersad
• Prophet Benjamin
• Rikki Jai
• Anil Bheem
• Raymond Ramnarine
• Hunter & Junjeezy
• Roger Hinds (Guyana Chutney Soca Monarch)
• KI Persad-defending champion

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 10:41:33 AM »
Kalypso Revue celebrates 50
Published: Monday, January 21, 2013
Peter Ray Blood
http://guardian.co.tt/carnival/2013-01-21/kalypso-revue-celebrates-50

Michael Osuna (Sugar Aloes) and Carlos James (Skatie) succeeded in staging a northern opening of Kalypso Revue befitting the calypso tent’s 50th anniversary on Thursday night, at SWWTU Hall, Port-of-Spain. The milestone event was attended by many specially invited guests, including Minister of Community Development Winston “Gypsy” Peters, retired Brigadier Carl Alfonso, and former Commissioner of Police Everald Snaggs.

At the top of the four-hour programme, speeches and an invocation were given by Canon Dean Knolly Clarke, Tuco president Lutalo Masimba (Bro Resistance) and Peters. The occasion was also celebrated with door prizes of a large flat-screen television set, and complimentary accommodation to Salybia’s Playa del Este Resort being given away.

Plaudits are well deserved by Osuna and James for the tight and compact, and well produced programme offered, hosted by Sprangalang and CT Vibe 105.1FM disc jockey CG. With a much improved sound system this year at the venue, when compared to that of previous years, performers were well accompanied by an orchestra led by JD Walcott.

Maze opened the night’s show on a celebratory mood, his Celebration Time commemorating the tent’s 50-year lifespan. He was followed by Independence Chutney Soca Best Nation Building Song awardee Falco, Immortal and M’ba. The night’s first encore was won by Dr Witty with an amusing double entendre titled Doh Go For Crown With That. The first female performer, Sexy Suzie, came next, performed the provocative Nothing Down Dey, winning an encore as well.

Next came Flashy Dan singing the very wordy Fighting Crime. I was particularly impressed by the offerings of the next two performers—Ninja and Marlon Edwards. Ninja’s thought-provoking Ah Buying is one of the most original compositions in any tent this year, while Edwards sang the well penned but racy Blind Man Hope.

One of my favourites on the programme was petite police officer Michele Henry, singing Blind Man Bluff, a song which comments on the Section 34 issue, embellished with references to Play Whe marks. This little lady packs a powerful voice and her diction and delivery are flawless.

Prophet Without Honour was Skatie’s ditty and its profound and thought-inspiring message was delivered with clarity.

Also with another very good composition came from Alicia Synette singing Moral Authority. She was the only singer to get two encores.

Another Guardian Media Limited employee, Andre Williams, borrowed from stick fighting lore for Bad Man Anand, complete with appropriate costuming and bois.

Consistent TSTT employee Devon Seale didn’t disappoint with the well crafted Game Show Politics and got a well deserved encore. One good song and performance deserves another and, resplendent in all white and lots of gold, Sugar Aloes followed, opening with Not The Land I Used To Know. From the audience’s response it seems that Aloes’ My Response has been sufficiently adequate to soothe the concerns of those who questioned his loyalty to the PNM after he sang She’s Royal to the Prime Minister on a People’s Partnership platform last year. He was warmly encored.

Rex East, introduced by CG as “the Road March King of Taiwan,” singing Eat Ah Food, rounded off the first half of the programme. I feel that this zany ditty would be better received if the sound engineer lessens the band’s sound to allow whatever lyrics there might be in the song to be discernible.

As is now traditional at the Revue, the show resumed with tribute being made to the tent’s founder, late Grandmaster Lord Kitchener, by Mr Starr singing Sugar Bum Bum.

Nicole Greaves then rendered Hammer Time, the Panorama selection of Witco Desperadoes.

Pink Panther was very clever with Travelling Woes, stating his distress to locate a ship to take him abroad, despite seeing a plethora of vessels berthed along the country’s entire coastline. Matching Panther in this area of wit was Bally, singing Clauses. Both were encored.

Also stoutly encored was Chalkdust for Prodigal Crook and Virginia, both ingeniously penned compositions.

Rounding off the programme were Baron and Impulse.

The Revue has a very entertaining programme. This is a tent in which its producers seem to have taken particular care to select singers with good diction who could render a calypso properly, one of the main criteria in years of yore by Kitchener, and deceased managers Carl “Jazzy” Pantin and Sonny Woodley.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 08:25:05 AM »
No media rights deal for Carnival 2013
By Renuka Singh
Story Created: Jan 28, 2013 at 9:55 PM ECT
Story Updated: Jan 29, 2013 at 8:36 AM ECT
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/carnival/articles/No_media_rights_deal_for_Carnival_2013-188770521.html

No media house has been awarded the rights for the live broadcast Carnival Monday and Tuesday. With Carnival just two weeks away, one media house is expressing its disappointment over the way the broadcast rights negotiations are being handled.

Chief executive officer of State-owned Caribbean New Media Group (CNMG), Ken Ali yesterday issued a media release expressing that disappointment but also reminding the Carnival stakeholders that the Government has injected $154 million into Carnival 2013 and that "CNMG is a wholly-owned Government entity".
"CNMG is still seeking to conclude negotiations with the interest groups to ensure television and radio broadcast of the forthcoming Carnival events," he said.

But David Lopez, chairman of the National Carnival Bands Association and a member of the board of the National Carnival Commission, yesterday confirmed that, as of yesterday, no broadcast rights were awarded to anyone. In a telephone interview, Lopez said some people had the misconception that "Carnival must be free" for them. "That has been a challenge that has plaguing the broadcast of Carnival for a long time," he said.

Lopez said Carnival was a commercial asset to any media house and he was against the idea that media houses would make money on Carnival without paying anything for it.
Lopez though was not concerned with the short time to make the decision and is confident that the show will be carried live.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 08:28:22 AM »
National calypso semis: Six ex-monarchs in the fray
By Verdel Bishop
Story Updated: Jan 29, 2013 at 8:38 AM ECT
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/carnival/articles/Six_ex-monarchs_in_the_fray-188770491.html

The names of the 40 calypsonians who will perform in the semi-final of the National Calypso Monarch competition at Skinner Park, San Fernando, were released yesterday. Trinbago Unified Calypsonians Organisation (TUCO) president Lutalo Massimba (Brother Resistance) released the names which were sealed in a brown envelope.

He said the release of the names should be a jovial occasion but instead it was mixed with sadness for the passing of former TUCO head, national calypso monarch, Road March champion and school teacher Sedley Joseph (Penguin), who died on January 27 following a stroke.

Six former monarchs are among the semifinalists, including Eric Taylor (Pink Panther), Hollis Liverpool (Chalkdust), Kurt Allen,  Michael Osouna (Sugar Aloes), Singing Sandra) and 2011 monarch, Karen Asche. There are also quite a few newcomers to Skinner Park, including Helon Francis, one of the youngest calypsonians on the semifinal list.

Also appearing in Skinner Park will be Anthony Hendrickson (Allrounder), Sean Daniel, Terri Lyons, (The Original De Fosto Himself), Yvette Steele (Lady Gypsy), Marva Joseph (Marvellous Marva), Mr Chucky (Roderick Gordon), Carlos James (Skatie) and Karen Eccles-Thomas. The semi-final competition will take place on Saturday February 2 from noon. TUCO also released the names of the calypsonians in the finals of the Social and Political commentaries.

These are the 40 semi-finalists in alphabetical order as well as the finalists in both the Political and Social commentaries.

Alana Sinnette
Alex Gift (Tobago Chalkie)
Allan Fortune
Anthony Hendrickson (Allrounder)
Carlos James (Skatie)
Devon Seale
Dillon Thomas
Eric Taylor (Pink Panther)
Eunice Peters
Giselle Fraser-Washington"
Heather McIntosh
Helon Francis
Henson Wright (Calypso Prince)
Hollis Liverpool (Chalkdust)
Karen Eccles-Thomas
Karene Asche
Khadja Antoine
Kizzy Ruiz
Kurt Allen
Leslie Ann Ellis
Yvette Steele (Lady Gypsy)
Marion Pamponette
Marsha Charles
Marva Joseph (Marvellous Marva)
Michael Leggerton (Protector)
Michael Osouna (Sugar Aloes)
Michelle Henry
Myron Bruce (Myron B)
Nicole Thomas
Randolph Hillaire (Count Robin)
Roderick Gordon (Mr Chucky)
Roslyn Reid
Sandra Desvignes (Singing Sandra)
Sean Daniel
Shamika Denoon
Sheldon Bullen (Nugget)
Terri Lyons
Victor Mc Donald (Mr Mack)
Victoria Cooper (Queen Victoria)

RESERVES
Ann Marie Parks (Twiggy)
Lornette Nedd-Reed (Fya Empress)
Winston Scarborough (De Original De Fosto Himself)

TUCO Social Commentary Finalists
Helon Francis
Roderick Gordon (Mr Chucky)
Sheldon Bullen (Nugget)
TUCO Political Finalists
Devon Seale
Eunice Peters
Kurt Allen

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 08:30:28 AM »
Rikki Jai had ads playing for people to text for him before and during the competition. I guess he doesn't have to agree with the system in order to try and game the system.

Artistes criticise judging
By Carolyn Kissoon
carolyn.kissoon@trinidadexpress.com
Story Updated: Jan 29, 2013 at 8:42 AM ECT
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/carnival/articles/___Artistes_criticise_judging-188770311.html

SIX-time Chutney Soca Monarch Rikki Jai was among several artistes who criticised the judging system used to determine the winner at the competition on Saturday night.

Jai said too much emphasis was being placed on text voting and suggested that artistes be judged on their stage presentation.

The 2013 Lotto Plus Chutney Soca Monarch was judged by 70 per cent text voting and 30 per cent judges marks. Jai placed second in the competition.

Raymond Ramnarine who returned to the competition after 13 years, emerged the winner. He was rewarded with a $1 million first prize.

Ramnarine, a crowd favourite, was accompanied by the Shiv Shakti dancers and Peter Minshall's creations Tan Tan and Saga Boy.

Jai said, "My personal take on this is to turn it around and make it 30 per cent text, and 70 per cent judging. This will bring the stage back on a level playing field. It gives artistes a chance to be judged on their performance on stage."

Jai said newcomers were at a disadvantage. In previous competitions, artistes were selected solely by text votes from fans.

"They may have a great performance, but it will be difficult for them because the more experienced artistes would have an advantage over them because of their fan base. It is unfair to the younger people. I have been singing for 25 years so my fan base is wide. So is Raymond Ramnarine, who came into the competition as a favourite because of his fan base," he said. But Ramnarine's brother and manager of Dil-e-Nadan, Richard Ramnarine disagreed.

"Kenneth Salick was a newcomer when he entered the competition and won in 2009. I like to use him as an example. No one knew who he was. But he came in with a powerful song and beat out many experienced artistes," he said.

Adesh Samaroo, who failed to place in the top ten, said he too was disappointed in the judging system.
"Firstly, I want to say congrats to Raymond Ramnarine. What he did, and the crowd's response he got, I have never experienced that before in a Chutney Soca Monarch. It was a well deserved first place. But I do not agree with some of the other results. I don't understand how the judges came up with points. We still don't know how many text votes we got. I support all competitions with text voting, but I do not agree with it," he said.

Samaroo said although he participated in competitions judged by text messaging, he was against the practice.

"People get to text before seeing the performance. There are a lot of ways to beat the system. I agree that texting should be part of the competition, but not to determine the winner. It can be used for a people's choice award. Imagine I text for myself before I went on stage. Let's say something happens and an artiste cannot perform but he has the biggest song, then he will still win because of the text system," Samaroo said.

Dethroned Chutney Soca Monarch Kris "KI" Persad was reluctant to comment on the judging.
"All I can say is that I think it was a good monarch and I had a good time," he said.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 08:32:47 AM by Bitter »

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 07:49:36 AM »
CNMG gets rights to broadcast Carnival events
Story Created: Jan 29, 2013 at 9:58 PM ECT
Story Updated: Jan 30, 2013 at 6:18 AM ECT
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/CNMG_gets_rights_to_broadcast_Carnival_events-188940021.html

The National Canival Commission (NCC) said yesterday the broadcast of Carnival 2013 has been resolved, with State TV station CNMG getting the rights to air carnival events.

Negotiations were facilitated Minister of Arts & Multiculturalism Dr Lincoln Douglas and Minister of Communications Jamal Mohammed, the NCC said. CNMG has been granted exclusive rights for TV broadcast of major Carnival events and non-exclusive streaming rights, a statement said.

Chairman Allison Demas stated via social media: "It's great to have a Minister who supports and understands the needs of the creative community and a Minister of Communications who respects the social, cultural and economic importance of Carnival."

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 11:25:41 AM »
CNMG gets rights to broadcast Carnival events
Story Created: Jan 29, 2013 at 9:58 PM ECT
Story Updated: Jan 30, 2013 at 6:18 AM ECT
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/CNMG_gets_rights_to_broadcast_Carnival_events-188940021.html

The National Canival Commission (NCC) said yesterday the broadcast of Carnival 2013 has been resolved, with State TV station CNMG getting the rights to air carnival events.

Negotiations were facilitated Minister of Arts & Multiculturalism Dr Lincoln Douglas and Minister of Communications Jamal Mohammed, the NCC said. CNMG has been granted exclusive rights for TV broadcast of major Carnival events and non-exclusive streaming rights, a statement said.

Chairman Allison Demas stated via social media: "It's great to have a Minister who supports and understands the needs of the creative community and a Minister of Communications who respects the social, cultural and economic importance of Carnival."

I'm shocked! never saw this comin had my money on WIN Tv
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 11:31:55 AM »
Rikki Jai had ads playing for people to text for him before and during the competition. I guess he doesn't have to agree with the system in order to try and game the system.

So did KI, and Raymond Ramnarine..look who place in top 3.

Adesh Samaroo, who failed to place in the top ten, said he too was disappointed in the judging system.
"Firstly, I want to say congrats to Raymond Ramnarine. What he did, and the crowd's response he got, I have never experienced that before in a Chutney Soca Monarch. It was a well deserved first place. But I do not agree with some of the other results. I don't understand how the judges came up with points. We still don't know how many text votes we got. I support all competitions with text voting, but I do not agree with it," he said.

Samaroo said although he participated in competitions judged by text messaging, he was against the practice.

"People get to text before seeing the performance. There are a lot of ways to beat the system. I agree that texting should be part of the competition, but not to determine the winner. It can be used for a people's choice award. Imagine I text for myself before I went on stage. Let's say something happens and an artiste cannot perform but he has the biggest song, then he will still win because of the text system," Samaroo said.

Adesh is a piece of sh*t....and so was his song.
He just vex, he had to line up for Sauce doubles like everyone else in the tent....
whey boy!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 07:29:14 PM »

Plz Allison. Doh geh we that bull!

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 10:32:09 AM »
Calypso Monarch Finalists

Duane O'Connor (Defending Monarch)
Alana Sinnette - No Moral Authority
Pink Panther - Travel Woes
Eunice Peters - None Of The Above
Heather Mac Intosh - The Old Man’s Lament
Chalkdust - Virginia’s Alzheimer
Karene Asche - Meh Pardna Ship
Kizzie Ruiz - In The age Of Blog
Kurt Allen - Political Sin Phony
Marvellous Marva - Come Back To What
Mr. Chucky - Bear With Me
Queen Victoria - D Betrayal

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 12:24:40 AM »

Allyuh notice that 7 out of the 11 finalists are women.

Looks like the women have taken over calypso now at the highest level from the men in addition to one running the country.

Ah wonder what Sparrow the Village ram would have to say about this?  ;)
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 09:43:03 AM »

Looks like the women have taken over calypso now at the highest level from the men in addition to one running the country.

That might say more about the judging and the writing than anything else. Though the only man I would include in this list is Sugar Aloes,  in place of Chalkdust.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Kaisorama 2013
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 09:44:37 AM »
Kaisorama

http://www.tucott.com/index.php/media-release/112-categories-finalists-2013
http://www.tucott.com/index.php/media-release/114-extempo-finalists-2013

The final round of the Social and Political Commentary Categories and Extempo competitions takes place at KAISORAMA on Monday 04th February 2013 at the Queen’s Park Savannah, Port-of-Spain commencing at 7:00 PM sharp!!!

SOCIAL COMMENTARY
Helon Francis - Tainted Legacy
Mr. Chucky - Bear With me
Sheldon Nugget - One Race

POLITICAL COMMENTARY
Devon Seale - Game Show Politics

Extempo Finalists 2013
Brian London
Dion Diaz
Hezekiah Joseph
Lingo
Contender
Myron B
Black Sage
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 09:50:08 AM by Bitter »

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 09:55:26 AM »
TUCO Calendar of Events

Monday 4th      KAISORAMA      7:00 PM      Queen’s Park Savannah   
   Tuesday 5th      RAPSO EXPLOSION      5:30 PM      NALIS   
   Thursday 7th      National Calypso Monarch Final      7:00 PM      Queen’s Park Savannah   

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 01:50:19 PM »

2 San Juan Govt Sec has 2 alumni in the final. Congrats
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2013, 07:52:00 PM »

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2013, 08:01:49 PM »

Ah wonder what Sparrow the Village ram would have to say about this?  ;)

Sparrow might have said he go bull all ah dem

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2013, 08:25:44 PM »
Calypso dead
By Raffique Shah
Story Created: Feb 2, 2013 at 9:55 PM ECT
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/commentaries/Calypso_dead-189532571.html

CALYPSO, the unique art form that defined Trinidad and Tobago for a hundred years, that clever, creative combination of lyrics with rhyme and melody to haunt the living and awaken the dead, is dead. Gone to a great cultural mausoleum that exists somewhere between the Bassman's Hell and cyberspace. Thirteen years into a new century, a new millennium, I cannot write, "Long live calypso!"

After you would have cussed me for daring to challenge the cultural status quo, more so on the day after forty calypsonians sang at the semi-finals in Skinner Park, six of them former monarchs, twenty of them women, answer me a few questions. When last have you heard an original calypso (not vintage) that grabbed you by the ears, forced you to listen to its lyrics, to hum to its sweet melody and, overwhelmed, you cried out, "Kaiso, boy!" When last?

Look, I do not mean to belittle or disrespect the bards of today and some giants of yesterday who, against immense odds, are trying to keep calypso alive, albeit on life support systems. Calypsonians like Mudada, Chalkdust, Sandra, Aloes, Pink Panther and De Fosto deserve plaudits for their tenacity, for having survived for decades in the gayelle even as the past masters retired, many of them hurt, and their contemporaries fell by the wayside.

And I have "nuff respect" for the brave young men and women who choose to remain in the graveyard plying their talents, resisting the lucrative lure of the inane that passes for song and music. Staying with calypso must be tough on artistes like Kurt Allen (who had a stint on the Soca Train some years ago), Devon Seale, Sean Daniel, Kizzie Ruiz, Heather Macintosh, Karene Asche and Sheldon Nugget, to name a handful.

Still, my focus today is not on the singer, but the song. I ask again: when last? The last big one I remember came in 2001 when the genius that is Shadow took the rags, flags, wine and wave of two-line imposters, added a haunting melody and infectious hook lines, and had the whole country jumping up to "Stranger". The song was a runaway hit, taking the Road March title by the proverbial mile.

Now, there may have been other good calypsos since then, but it's taxing my aging brain to ask me to recall them (readers, please help). I mean, with bound-to-hit bards like David Rudder and Black Stalin still on active duty, there must have been something or things.

That I cannot readily remember a great or good song only underscores the point I seek to make, that calypso is dying if not long dead. In the run-up to this year's Carnival, which I'm enjoying from home (maybe that is the problem!), I tune in to radio as often as I can to catch as many of the seasonal offerings as the overlords of the airways permit us to enjoy. In pursuit of this pleasure, I must confess that I have to stomach tonnes of "tatah". I don't know about you, but I think it's torture for any human being to be subjected to aural assault in his own home. It's bad enough being forced to listen to inane crap peddled at high volume morning, noon and night in my neighbourhood. I protest, but to what effect? Everybody else seems happy "fogging up the place".

I've heard some okay calypsos, lyrics that make me chuckle, but nothing better than ordinary. It was the same story last year when Duane O'Connor won the Monarch title with "The Hunt Is On"—a catchy, topical song, but certainly not one that, ten, twenty years from today, you would select and play for your own pleasure or to entertain friends. That "The Hunt" also won "Calypso of the Year" says something about the sub-standard material we had to cope with not just last year, but for the past ten years.

I am not hankering after another "Portrait of Trinidad" (1965), a "Progress" (1980), a "High Mas"(1998), classics that come maybe once in a decade or a generation. I ask only for something as deep and enduring as "Voices from the Ghetto" (1999), as lyrical and musical as "Poverty is Hell" (1994), a simple, catchy, infectious ditty like "La La" (1976). Am I making an unreasonable demand of today's calypsonians? I think not, certainly not at a time when most singers employ well-paid composers and musical arrangers.
In the absence of good or great songs that are current, calypso lovers like me are forced to retreat in time, way back, and ironically, use modern technology (You Tube, When Steel Talks) to source and revel in music that is fifty, sixty years old. I shouldn't have to do that, not in the Land of Calypso and Steelband. Sadly, I have no choice.

So, many evenings find me on the computer looking for great calypso music. I check, say, Sparrow, maybe start with "Slave", follow with "Ten to One", rediscover "Witch Doctor"...once I'm with "Birdie", I can be hooked for hours. Another night, I thought I had not heard Shorty's "Endless Vibrations" for some time, so I selected it. Soon, I was deep into "Om Shanti", "Sweet Music" and so on.

I imagine there are many Trinis-to-de-bone like me, not all old geezers, who use technology to access great calypso music from no fewer than fifty bards, all of whom lived and performed in the latter fifty years of the 20th Century. Artistes back then did not have the opportunities that today's bards enjoy. Producing a record, and later CD, was costly.

Today, computers and the Internet cut costs and open immense possibilities to the talented. A Korean artiste took a provincial beat, Gangnam Style, and successfully marketed it to a billion-plus people. Why, pray, are there no exciting new calypsos to take our music to the near-limitless world of cyberspace?

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2013, 08:46:01 PM »

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2013, 11:07:49 AM »
Kaisorama Winners:

Social Commentary: Mr. Chucky
Political  Commentary: Kurt Allen
Extempo: Lady Africa

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2013, 09:16:42 AM »
Are calypso tents dying a slow death?
Published:
Thursday, February 7, 2013
Peter Ray Blood
http://www.guardian.co.tt/carnival/2013-02-06/are-calypso-tents-dying-slow-death

Tuco chairman Lutalo “Brother Resistance” Masimba believes that tent managers need to be more au courant with today’s commercial realities.
Once regarded the engine room of the calypso art form, the calypso tent is in peril of becoming an endangered specie. This has been a concern of calypsonians and fans for many a year as attendance to the calypso tent has significantly dwindled.

Many reasons have been suggested by commentators, among these the increase in crime and the bards singing songs that reek of racist undertones. However, the folk actually in the belly of the engine room are optimistic about the current health and longevity of the art form.

Trinbago Unified Calypsonians Organisation (Tuco) chairman and National Carnival Commission (NCC) board member Lutalo Masimba (Bro Resistance) feels that calypso tents are in good health and, despite challenges, have a bright future ahead. He said: “Calypso tents are alive and well in Trinidad and Tobago. However, in the general Carnival landscape, they are being marginalised by external forces, especially highly competitive and aggressive commercial forces.

“This past decade the Carnival culture has become so much fast-paced and commercialised that the tents have not being able to keep up. In the past decade, the management of calypso tents have not stepped up their game to create a greater awareness and support for the tent.”

Successive governments have played a major role in the calypso tent business, especially in the area of funding. Said Masimba: “There are five tents directly owned and managed by Tuco. In addition, there are affiliate tents like Kalypso Revue and Icons, plus community-based tents which number about ten across the island.

The community-based tents are usually owned and managed by the artistes themselves, or the Carnival committee of the area. The community-based tents are a welcome phenomenon in Carnival as it is a creation by the people, for the people.

“Government supports every tent in some way or another. No government has ever interfered in any calypso tent as far as I know and we have been aligned to different governments since 1998.”

Masimba expressed pride and satisfaction over the success of his tent, Kaiso House, based in the Queen’s Park Savannah, Port-of-Spain, this year. He said: “The marketing approach and strategies of Kaiso House over the past three years is now bearing fruit, thus the reason for our sold out shows nightly.”

Expressing optimism on the future of calypso tents, Masimba said: “The calypso tent is a traditional institution but we must keep apace of the times. Looking at William Munro’s Kingdom of the Wizards, and Spektakula Promotions’ tent, you realise that there is a job to be done by the management of all calypso tents.

“The mission of Tuco is to eventually establish the calypso tent as an independent entity, standing on its own. Eventually, we do not want to rely on subsidies from government.”

Veteran calypsonian Short Pants (Llewelyn McIntosh) expressed a divergent point of view. He said: “Calypso tents are clearly not flourishing as they once did. I agree with a recently published newspaper article by Debbie Jacob which suggested that state funding is creating a negative effect on calypso tents.

“I grew up in the era when men like Jazzy Pantin, Syl Taylor and Theodore Guerra, as businessmen, operated calypso tents as privately owned businesses. This is not to say that they didn’t get some assistance from the state, but, with or without assistance, because of their astuteness as businessmen and their vision, these guys ensured that their tent would operate.”

“These tents would have ‘genuine’ auditions which was a critical facet of the tent. Singers back then knew that he had to come up with a song that would be acceptable to management.

“Management then had the option of selecting a variety of songs so that they could plan a well balanced cast and songs, ensuring variety and quality of your programme.

“I am not so sure that is what happens now. What I suspect tent managers and operators do now is they sit back and wait on a government subvention to run their tents.

“If they don’t get government subvention they will not be able to open a tent.

“In the old days, nobody could tell Jazzy or Syl what they could do. The old adage of ‘who pays the piper calls the tune’ applies. It is logical, not to mention fair, that if a politician invests thousands of dollars in a calypso tent, why should he do so to pay people who are singing against him or his government?

“It is also stupid business if your income cannot cover your expenses and overheads. There is also a trickle down effect on the subsidising of calypso tents by the state.

“As a calypsonian, it is only human nature that if I am assured of a salary that I do not need to create anything special from an artistic point of view. My paycheque is guaranteed anyway. This means that the quality of song I may create or perform may not be of the best.”

Contender (Mark John), the 1966 and ‘67 junior Calypso Monarch, is the chairman of Tuco North Zone. He said that his tent, Klassic Ruso, maintains

a “healthy relationship” with government and the powers that be. Last year, the Ministry of Arts and Multiculturalism initiated a pilot project of chosing a calypso tent and assigning experts in various entertainment disciplines to assist the tent produce a professionally run production. Klassic Ruso was the chosen tent for the experiment.

“The pilot project was a resounding success,” said Contender. “People visiting the tent this year expressed pleasant surprise at how professionally it was run in every facet, from the placement of the band on stage to the length of our programme, and the stage craft and attire of our artistes.

“The experts assigned to Klassic Ruso taught us about decor, wardrobe, punctuality and even make up. The ambience inside our tent has improved and we have consistently began our programme promptly 8.30 pm. Other tents have adopted a lot of what we did last year and, for instance, the latest any tent goes to now is midnight. They all have tight, well managed and entertaining programmes.”

Commenting on the popularity of calypso tents, Contender said: “Attendances to calypso tents are not what they used to be years ago, and there are a number of reasons for this. The main factors for this are headed by the crime scourge. Secondly, the calypso population has dwindled. A lot of the people who used to come out to the tents have either died, gotten too old, or are just scared to be out of their homes at night.

“In the old days, outside Sparrow’s tent, there used to be police on horseback to control the crowd. Today, many people seem to see soca music as a replacement to calypso music. While no succession planning was done to ensure continuity of the tent business, we have a lot of young people coming back into singing calypso. There is a resurgence in recent years, and there has been increased tent patronage.

Contender doesn’t share the view that calypso or the tents are dying. “People want to hear calypso,” he asserted. “Imagine Kaiso House had a sold out show last Sunday night.”

Commending the government for its assistance to calypso, Contender suggested vigilance on the part of tent managers. He explained: “Tuco and tent managers must always be on guard against being manipulated into what a singer can sing, and that the authorities never dictate who sings in which tent, and what they can sing.”

Reluctant to comment on the subsidy from government this year to run the tent, Michael Osouna (Sugar Aloes) seemed disappointed by the eventual quantum of assistance he received from the state to operate the Kalypso Revue for Carnival 2013. Last year when, under fire for singing Tarrus Riley’s She’s Royal to Prime Minister Kamla Persad Bissessar on a People Partnership platform, the two-time National Calypso Monarch said he did so to merely earn an income, and secure funding for his Kalypso Revue tent.

Preferring to comment instead on the state of Kalypso Revue for C2K13, Osouna said there was neither increase or decrease in attendance at the SWWTU Hall calypso tent, located on Wrightson Road, Port-of-Spain. “Basically, the same amount of people attended this year as last year.”

Osouna, claiming to be fully recovered from his exclusion in Thursday night’s National Calypso Monarch final, expressed concern about the future of calypso tents. He said: “It isn’t like long ago when people used to line up to get into the tents. The first thing that has to happen is that work has to begin from the outside as the main problem is something tent managers have no control over.

“People need to be assured of their security so the authorities need to reduce crime in this country drastically. Long ago, a calypso tent programme could go up to 1.30 am but now I make sure my tent is finished no later than 12.30 am. But now, people are simply scared to come out of their homes. One of the benefits by me is that I am able to provide a secured parking lot. For the rest of the week, we are open every night, except Thursday night. On Saturday night, our final night, the special is two patrons on one ticket.”

The Young Kings Monarch of 1987, seasoned calypsonian Bally, doesn’t share the view that calypso is a dying artform, or that calypso tents are losing favour with the public. He said: “I have been in Calypso Revue for the past five years so I can speak of our tent. This year we had a few sold out nights and generally attendance has been consistent over the years. I think the quality of calypsoes in any given season is what determines whether people attend the tents or not. I think that this year has been the best set of calypsoes we’ve had since I joined the Revue.

“Overall, I think the quality of calypso has been alright this year. There hasn’t been anything that really grabbed me this year. However, the two songs that caught my attention were Protector’s Lick Them Down and Kurt Allen’s Political Sin Phony. I have noticed a marked improvement though in the soca genre and this year the outstanding song has been SuperBlue’s Fantastic Friday.”

Diane Dupres, with her signature blue tinted hair, is one of the most easily identifiable calypso and pan aficionadoes around, and she paints a rather dismal opinion on calypso and the tents. She said: “I attend the calypso tents but not as often as I used to. Long ago I used to go at least three times to each tent for the season. I even used to attend auditions and rehearsals. But now, I find the calypsoes are very boring.

“Calypsonians now are either preaching or bashing. I cannot pay my hard earned dollars to go to listen to stupidness. I have reached the age where I do not wish to hear many of those old fellas. Thank goodness though there are some young people out there now who are really talented, with good voices and good delivery. What worries me about today’s lot though is that you can hear a calypso and know exactly who the composer of the song was. It seems as though the calypsonian no longer seems to write his own song. Today, when you go to the tents, you are actually hearing calypso singers not calypsonians.”

Calypso tents

Kaiso House—Queen’s Park Savannah, Port-of-Spain
Kalypso Revue—SWWTU Hall, Wrightson Road,
Port-of-Spain
Klassic Ruso—City Hall,
Port-of-Spain
Kaiso Karavan—La Joya, EMR, St Joseph
Kaiso Showkase—Palms Club, San Fernando
D Divas Cabaret International—De Nu Pub, Woodbrook
Unique—Belmont
Generation Next—CWU Hall, Henry Street, Port-of-Spain   
Yangatang—Port-of-Spain
Junior Roving Tent
CDC Tent—Henry Street
Central Rainbow—Chaguanas
The Birds—Siparia
The Voice—Mayaro
Missionaire—Princes Town
Magnificent Glow—Tobago

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2013, 10:11:35 PM »
Calypso Monarch longer than when it in Dimache Gras

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2013, 11:55:02 PM »
CONGRATS PANTHER that show was level torture.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2013, 12:00:40 AM »
Results:

12   Queen Victoria
11   Marvellous Marva
10   Kizzie Ruiz
9   Chalkdust
8   Alana Sinnette
7   Duane O'Connor
6   Eunice Peters
5   Karene Asche
4   Mr. Chucky
3   Heather Mac Intosh
2   Kurt Allen
1   Pink Panther

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2013, 12:01:41 AM »
Calypso Monarch longer than when it in Dimache Gras

Ent!
I think they need to move it from the Savannah - that is just a poor venue for that type of show. Cnmg didn't help with the awful sound.
Also, how the hell the show will run that long? wth?

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2013, 12:41:43 PM »
Nothing extreme in Dimanche Gras show says producer Lewis
By Darcel Choy Sunday, January 27 2013
http://www.newsday.co.tt/carnival_2013/0,172639.html

To produce a show like the Dimanche Gras usually takes about year, but Derrick Lewis of Unlimited Functions Limited has just three weeks and he is confident he will get it done.

It was announced earlier this month that Lewis would be producing the show, with a changed format, at a cost of approximately $3 million. This is expected to be the evolution of Dimanche Gras, which, traditionally, showcased the finals of the Calypso Monarch and King and Queen of Carnival competitions.

The theme of this year’s show is “I Am Carnival” and David Rudder has recorded the promotional song.

In a recent interview with Sunday Newsday, Lewis admitted that producing the Dimanche Gras show was a monumental task, principally because of the short time-frame. His days are already ending in the wee hours of the morning, to start again less than a few hours later.

“The time is upon us and the team is in production mode as the script is complete,” he said.

A very calm Lewis said he hoped those who attend the show would come with open minds to witness and be part of the beginning of something new. He said although two iconic parts of the show would no longer be its focus, spectators will see elements of them in the production.

“How can you do a Dimanche Gras without the elements of mas and calypso?” he asked.

“What happened before was primarily a calypso and mas competition. We intend to use exciting elements of both, as well as include the steelpan, to pull together a show that’s new, but not totally unfamiliar. People will still get the things they have found to be entertaining over the years, but in a new format,” he stated.

Lewis has been involved in events for more than 25 years, with a production résumé that includes several large events all across the globe, including shows in Canada, Japan, Germany, Jamaica and Haiti. His desire to be a part of the entertainment industry started while growing up on Nelson Street in Port-of-Spain and observing his mother’s and grandmother’s hospitality.

“We had a home that was always open and inviting. It became the hub of activities as well as a mini-entertainment centre. I enjoyed entertainment and being hospitable to people, and this has been the backbone of all we do,” he said.

Lewis describes himself as a producer of entertainment experiences, using all the elements that surround him to create these experiences.

“For this production, I am not going to try to do extreme theatre or extreme dance or extreme song. I am not going to explore the artistic theatrics and the depth of our inner conscience. I am going to do an entertaining production that’s solid in its offering,” he said.

He said Dimanche Gras 2013 will have context, some artistic presentation, theatre, humour and even engaging banter.

“It will showcase creative lyrics, high energy, and many of the things that make us Carnival. “The show will really pull the elements together to identify with the ‘I Am.’ “I want to leave people so proud to be ‘I Am’ that they individually become Carnival by the time the show is finished. We want to create that emotion and feeling, that ‘I am Carnival, too’. We hope to engage all aspects and all senses,” he said.

Lewis’ creative team for this production includes Davlin Thomas as Director, Maurice Chevalier, Heather Henderson-Gordon who is responsible for dance and choreography, Penny Gomez, Lennox Toussaint, Sean Paddy and Colin Greaves.

About the audiences’ expectations and skeptics, Lewis said that people usually try to compare new things to something iconic. However, he maintained that he does not have a template for comparison because this was the first time the show was being done in a new format.

“I am not trying to be an artistic director. I am a producer, and I am happy to work with people who are fantastic in their various fields. My job is to pull it all together to create a new experience for the Dimanche Gras. To try and compare what we are doing, is like comparing Beyonce to the New York Symphony,” he said.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2013, 03:12:38 PM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Demas__NCC__45m_in_debt-190475491.html

Demas: NCC $45m in debt
By Julien Neaves
Story Created: Feb 8, 2013 at 9:46 PM ECT

WHEN Allison Demas was offered the post of National Carnival Commission (NCC) chairman, she was told that the organisation was $45 million in debt.

"And immediately what sprang to mind was corruption and mismanagement. But when I actually got involved I realised that this product that we are still trying to define is grossly underfunded by the Government," she said.

Demas recalled that at one of her first meetings with the Arts Ministry, she told them "if we are to achieve this transformation, and we have new events; Dimanche Gras is now going to be separate from Calypso Monarch, from Big Friday, the King and Queens of the bands... where is the funding?"

She was speaking on Thursday at the International meeting of Carnival Arts Organisations hosted by the Ministry of the Arts and Multiculturalism and the NCC at the National Academy for the Performing Arts in Port of Spain.

She said the NCC tries to find the best business model for Carnival, but it "remains very elusive". She noted that this was the first organisation she has been involved in that is completely dependent on Government funding and was experiencing deficit funding.

Demas, who became chairman late last year after taking over from Patrick Arnold, said the NCC faced challenges regarding indebtedness and revenue generation, noting that the only event they receive gate receipts from is Dimanche Gras.

She said NCC has to become both economically viable and also preserve the culture. On the culture preservation issue, she noted Carnival was not only Port of Spain but there are 53 regional Carnivals and one in Tobago.

On a suggestion by one of the participants of a "Carnival City" with Carnival product all year round, Demas suggested they could be set up in cities and major boroughs like Port of Spain, Arima and Point Fortin and Carnival villages in other areas.

"Where we can have some mechanism where we can have ongoing activities that we can really create a true Carnival industry and become less dependent on the State," she said.

She announced that on March 2 the NCC will host a stakeholder consultation and on March 5, 2014 there will be a world conference of carnivals.

Demas also responded to criticisms by eight-time Calypso Monarch Professor Hollis "Chalkdust" Liverpool about the removal of the competitions from Dimanche Gras as "destructive" to the tradition and monetarily driven.

"I think it's a bit premature for Dr Liverpool to say that, I understand his concerns, but I hope that he comes and attends on Sunday and he will see that what we are doing is that we have preserved all of those traditional elements of Dimanche Gras. There'll be calypso, there'll be mas, there'll be steelband and there'll also be much more.

"So I think let's talk to Dr Liverpool after Dimanche Gras 2013. I'm sure he'll have a different view," Demas added.

Questioned by the media about the National Carnival Development Foundation (NCDF) claim that the NCC and National Carnival Bands Association owed $4 million to mas practitioners from 2007 to the present, Demas said it was a legal matter and their attorneys were "dealing with it".

NCDF chairman Mahindra Satram-Maharaj, who also attended the event, said the non-payment was unfair to the practitioners and the NCC kept putting them off every year.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2013, 08:09:06 PM »
I am really liking this Dimanche Gras show.

http://carnivaltv.net/featured/live/

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2013, 08:26:52 AM »
So, The NCBA say is only them to stream online.
Here's hoping the stream doh buss

http://www.ncbatt.com/

Direct link:
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/d-real-carnival
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 08:29:06 AM by Bitter »

1]; } ?>