March 28, 2024, 06:05:06 AM

Author Topic: Nick DeLeon declines T&T call-up.  (Read 50421 times)

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: Nick DeLeon declines T&T call-up.
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2013, 04:26:12 PM »
People cuss Zamora upside dong,well,well.

doh start me with Zamora eh
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2013, 04:39:46 PM »
Why didnt the TTFF "privately" confirm him before "publicly" calling him up??

Because dat too logical and make too much damn sense!!!

Jokey, jokey, jokey...as I see he name included I done know is cacaholeness at play again, and sure enough....
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2013, 05:28:05 PM »
Cyah fight de youth for being honest and making dah choice but what ah find rhel disgrace is dat de youth 22 and never visited Trini boi...wam Leroy like yuh never mind dah youth or wah smh lol

Was really surprised by that too.  Wha iz dat one, Leroy?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2013, 05:32:34 PM »
I understand that he's citizenship-eligible, but is he actually a citizen of TT?

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2013, 06:24:38 PM »
Yeah and Zamora was actually going to play for T&T plus isn't playing in a bush league.

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2013, 07:08:27 PM »
I get it with the youth and more power to him but I will say this; TTFF aside, no water in de session aside, cya get pay for de last tournament aside,, It is an honor to put on de colors and go out dey and play for that tiny island/s named TnT because be yuh who yuh be, once yuh pass through dat country, yuh does kinda get a sense of purpose. Is like dam Fantasy Island. (I say this, also thinking about the 400+ people who will die there this year).

A man might say, well what else, would one expect A trini to say but I have been to the promised land and I stayed just long enough to water my horse before starting on the journey back to Fantasy Island. So to all de Nick De Leon's and dem, no hate, but is because yuh dont know homie.

Pull yuh daddy in a back room or catch him on skype when allyuh alone and ask him bout TnT and look for de gleam in he eyes, the passion in he voice when he describing dat little country for yuh. Dont forget, de TTFF sucks and the foot-dragging is mind-numbing but if yuh could get pass that; Welcome to Fantasy Island!

Warren N. Boucaud

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2013, 07:35:05 PM »
As much as I support the soca warriors... you cah blame the fella... he grew up in the states, his dreams are different. I'm surprised USA didnt invite him to the camp. Never to know, we may still get the opportunity one day to steal him away.

It's not just a matter of different dreams. Many children of immigrants hold their parent's homeland in reverance.

However, from a practical standpoint the US is consistently a better team than TT with an infinitely superior administration.

He is simply doing what Shaka Hislop did and bear in mind SH grew up in TT.

He'll probably get a cap in about two years from the US and if not TT is a natural fall back position, just as Shaka did.

This is not indicative of a lack of respect for TT, just a practical professional decision.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2013, 07:45:43 PM »
As much as I support the soca warriors... you cah blame the fella... he grew up in the states, his dreams are different. I'm surprised USA didnt invite him to the camp. Never to know, we may still get the opportunity one day to steal him away.

It's not just a matter of different dreams. Many children of immigrants hold their parent's homeland in reverance.

However, from a practical standpoint the US is consistently a better team than TT with an infinitely superior administration.

He'll probably get a cap in about two years from the US and if not TT is a natural fall back position, just as Shaka did.

This is not indicative of a lack of respect for TT, just a practical professional decision.

VB

Invalid comparison.

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2013, 09:36:02 PM »
Boss, boss, the plane!!!!!
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2013, 12:48:19 AM »

doh start me with Zamora eh

This is different...how?

To this day the TTFF still refusing to give fans the time of day (see Flex's article on Tim Kee) but allyuh still ketching feelings because Zamora blank de TTFF?  steups

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2013, 12:55:07 AM »
I get it with the youth and more power to him but I will say this; TTFF aside, no water in de session aside, cya get pay for de last tournament aside,, It is an honor to put on de colors and go out dey and play for that tiny island/s named TnT because be yuh who yuh be, once yuh pass through dat country, yuh does kinda get a sense of purpose. Is like dam Fantasy Island. (I say this, also thinking about the 400+ people who will die there this year).

A man might say, well what else, would one expect A trini to say but I have been to the promised land and I stayed just long enough to water my horse before starting on the journey back to Fantasy Island. So to all de Nick De Leon's and dem, no hate, but is because yuh dont know homie.

Pull yuh daddy in a back room or catch him on skype when allyuh alone and ask him bout TnT and look for de gleam in he eyes, the passion in he voice when he describing dat little country for yuh. Dont forget, de TTFF sucks and the foot-dragging is mind-numbing but if yuh could get pass that; Welcome to Fantasy Island!

Ask de Noriegas of the world how dat one work out fuh dem.  Everything you mention dey he could get without ever suiting up fuh de TTFF.  Doh get tie up with that "li'l Fantasy Island" talk, Gilligan's Island is more like it as long as is dese TTFF clowns running de show.

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2013, 01:17:17 AM »

Ask de Noriegas of the world how dat one work out fuh dem.  Everything you mention dey he could get without ever suiting up fuh de TTFF.  Doh get tie up with that "li'l Fantasy Island" talk, Gilligan's Island is more like it as long as is dese TTFF clowns running de show.

Are you disputing is Fantasy Island or that de TTFF sucks? trying to figure out what your stand is? I say it is Fantasy Island and the TTFF sucks!
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2013, 05:07:48 PM »

VB

Invalid comparison.

Completely valid. You just eh see it.

VB

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2013, 05:14:37 PM »
Are you disputing is Fantasy Island or that de TTFF sucks? trying to figure out what your stand is? I say it is Fantasy Island and the TTFF sucks!

Disagreeing with you that playing for the TTFF (note I didn't say for TnT) is the big patriotic honor you making it out to be, that there's anything "Fantasy Island" about it.  Not when the people in charge clueless and seem intent on treating you like shit.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2013, 09:41:14 PM »

VB

Invalid comparison.

VB

Star, lots of ways to differentiate the scenes ... Nick didn't secure a US junior national team spot. (Arguably it's during that time that one of our rocket scientists should have been cultivating him heavily). Shaka's interest in an England MNT spot was buffeted by the junior squad call-up and whispers in the air. Nick's expectancy of a MNT call-up under Jurgen Klinsmann rests on what? A Jedi mind trick?

Need I state the obvious? Shaka is unquestionably a Trini. Nick is unquestionably not. Shaka had exposure to two national colors. Nick has had exposure to neither/none and has declined an offer to the one he has had offered ... an offer that would have borne no negative consequences from FIFA's Player Status Committee.

Aside from the fact that football in the context of the 90s is different, vis-a-vis our then footballing fortunes and stature in the world game, and the enhanced perception of Trini football since the 90s, FIFA legislation on the issue has changed significantly between the moment of Shaka's deliberations to the present-day of Nick's deliberations. Moreover, whereas many on here would have been proud to see Shaka Hislop succeed in English colors despite the antipathy many hold for the English team, no one would be doing cartwheels for Nick Deleon in the Stars and Stripes (unless of course you went hoarse cheering Robbie Findley). In the modern game, most players take the chances provided to them because these chances present platforms of opportunity. Descendants of Africans and Arabs do it everyday in Europe ... in several cases juggling more than two viable citizenships. Deleon had one ball in hand (us) and no tangible ball in the air (US) ... what was there to juggle.

I encourage you to distinguish between options, opportunities, and opportunism. Shaka is not, and was not, an opportunist. Deleon could very well prove to be. And that so, one encouraged by his father. When one door is closed, the other is open?

It's not lost on me that the US has Brazil 2014 still on the radar. What will the fat lady sing once that ship sails absent Nick.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 09:49:25 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2013, 10:16:48 PM »
^^^You just splitting hairs.  In the simplest of terms, both put a TnT cap on the back burner while exploring opportunities in another shirt.  What mental gymnastics they went thru in sorting out that decision and how they resolved is of little relevance to the instant comparison.

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2013, 10:29:12 PM »

Disagreeing with you that playing for the TTFF (note I didn't say for TnT) is the big patriotic honor you making it out to be, that there's anything "Fantasy Island" about it.  Not when the people in charge clueless and seem intent on treating you like shit.
Ah thought so and I agree with yuh; I was talkin about playin for TNT.   Playin for de TTFF however, Is almost like yuh goin on one of dem suicide missions, with the only saving grace being the pride of the people (if yuh winning or we know how dat does go too) While ah not sure breakin TTFF apart and givin some other opportunist the opportunity might be the way to go, under current operations, even that would be a step up. "Because something gotta give".
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2013, 11:00:23 PM »

VB

Invalid comparison.

VB

Star, lots of ways to differentiate the scenes ... Nick didn't secure a US junior national team spot. (Arguably it's during that time that one of our rocket scientists should have been cultivating him heavily). Shaka's interest in an England MNT spot was buffeted by the junior squad call-up and whispers in the air. Nick's expectancy of a MNT call-up under Jurgen Klinsmann rests on what? A Jedi mind trick?

Need I state the obvious? Shaka is unquestionably a Trini. Nick is unquestionably not. Shaka had exposure to two national colors. Nick has had exposure to neither/none and has declined an offer to the one he has had offered ... an offer that would have borne no negative consequences from FIFA's Player Status Committee.

Aside from the fact that football in the context of the 90s is different, vis-a-vis our then footballing fortunes and stature in the world game, and the enhanced perception of Trini football since the 90s, FIFA legislation on the issue has changed significantly between the moment of Shaka's deliberations to the present-day of Nick's deliberations. Moreover, whereas many on here would have been proud to see Shaka Hislop succeed in English colors despite the antipathy many hold for the English team, no one would be doing cartwheels for Nick Deleon in the Stars and Stripes (unless of course you went hoarse cheering Robbie Findley). In the modern game, most players take the chances provided to them because these chances present platforms of opportunity. Descendants of Africans and Arabs do it everyday in Europe ... in several cases juggling more than two viable citizenships. Deleon had one ball in hand (us) and no tangible ball in the air (US) ... what was there to juggle.

I encourage you to distinguish between options, opportunities, and opportunism. Shaka is not, and was not, an opportunist. Deleon could very well prove to be. And that so, one encouraged by his father. When one door is closed, the other is open?

It's not lost on me that the US has Brazil 2014 still on the radar. What will the fat lady sing once that ship sails absent Nick.

Lemme simplify this for you - for all the love that Shaka had for TT, he made us wait at least six years until he was in his thirties and with no England opportunity in sight to don TT colours.

No different thatn former Villa standout J Lloyd Samuel who started turning down TT from the age of 19 and around 10 yrs later finally accepted he wouldn't play for Eng. Sr.s and joined us.

I am not going to say how De Leon feels about TT The fact that he hasn't visited TT as a youth means nothing about how he feels about his father's homeland.

Only the naive would think that DL is not on the American's radar. And he will wait it out just like Shaka and Samuel did.

Good luck to him.

VB

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2013, 11:08:55 PM »

VB

Invalid comparison.

VB

Lemme simplify this for you - for all the love that Shaka had for TT, he made us wait at least six years until he was in his thirties and with no England opportunity in sight to don TT colours.

No different thatn former Villa standout J Lloyd Samuel who started turning down TT from the age of 19 and around 10 yrs later finally accepted he wouldn't play for Eng. Sr.s and joined us.

I am not going to say how De Leon feels about TT The fact that he hasn't visited TT as a youth means nothing about how he feels about his father's homeland.  :bs:

Only the naive would think that DL is not on the American's radar. And he will wait it out just like Shaka and Samuel did.

Good luck to him.

VB

Shaka was a keeper. In his 30s? Steups.

Every US player is on the USSF's radar. Duh. What are his distinguishing credentials thus far for them?

For us, different story, right?

International Career
MARC DUFFY: You were eligible to represent England and Trinidad & Tobago finally opting to play for T&T. How difficult was that decision?

SHAKA HISLOP: The decision itself was pretty easy. Despite being born in England I had always considered myself Trinidadian. I was a part of one T&T national senior team back in my early twenties but hadn't been called back up, since when I was called up by Glenn Hoddle. I guess that spurred the TTFF to act firmly and a call from them soon followed. I had no hesitation in accepting their invite.

http://blogs.soccernet.com/newcastleunited/archives/2011/08/former_toon_keeper_shaka_hislo_1.php

« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 11:37:27 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2013, 11:11:47 PM »
^^^You just splitting hairs.  In the simplest of terms, both put a TnT cap on the back burner while exploring opportunities in another shirt.  What mental gymnastics they went thru in sorting out that decision and how they resolved is of little relevance to the instant comparison.

Of course, I am. Apples and oranges.

Per the above, Shaka gets a pass, he doesn't. (Mind you, ah doh really care because one of the "reasons" the situation exists boils down to "domestic" considerations).

We could re-ventilate this circa 2018 when ND is about 28. As a keeper, Shaka's longer utility/longevity was assured.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 11:16:10 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2013, 11:19:06 PM »
DeLeon have to have some serious inside info to believe he getting a major look in on that team. As Seeker said, you have to know who you dealing with. It's a different time and a different type of coach. DeLeon heading off to play for T&T vs Peru maybe a plus if he show he can hack it. Klinsmann keep saying don't wait for an opportunity, make it happen. Sit and wait and see what happens.Different times.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2013, 11:20:53 PM »
DeLeon have to have some serious inside info to believe he getting a major look in on that team. As Seeker said, you have to know who you dealing with. It's a different time and a different type of coach. DeLeon heading off to play for T&T vs Peru maybe a plus if he show he can hack it. Klinsmann keep saying don't wait for an opportunity, make it happen. Sit and wait and see what happens.Different times.

This hadda be at the crux of the analysis ... not merely the bottom line about putting us on hold.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2013, 11:52:40 PM »
Ah thought so and I agree with yuh; I was talkin about playin for TNT.   Playin for de TTFF however, Is almost like yuh goin on one of dem suicide missions, with the only saving grace being the pride of the people (if yuh winning or we know how dat does go too) While ah not sure breakin TTFF apart and givin some other opportunist the opportunity might be the way to go, under current operations, even that would be a step up. "Because something gotta give".

You miss my point though... there is NO 'playin for TNT'... "TNT" doesn't have a team, the TTFF does.  Until that dynamic changes, until the local governing body shows itself receptive of the fans (we know they will never make themselves accountable to them) and more transparent in it's dealings so that the average supporter could participate in the process... then the so-called 'National' team remains the exclusive plaything of the local governing body. I for one refuse to continue plugging into this matrix and fooling myself that "country" have anything to do with it.

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2013, 08:37:25 AM »

You miss my point though... there is NO 'playin for TNT'... "TNT" doesn't have a team, the TTFF does.  Until that dynamic changes, until the local governing body shows itself receptive of the fans (we know they will never make themselves accountable to them) and more transparent in it's dealings so that the average supporter could participate in the process... then the so-called 'National' team remains the exclusive plaything of the local governing body. I for one refuse to continue plugging into this matrix and fooling myself that "country" have anything to do with it.

I get it but I am actually talking about de sentiment, and that, not even the dysfunctional TTFF can fack up. Yes there is the "caps count if yuh want an international career thing, but I suspect, in the purest moment, when your handed yuh kit, I truly believe is country dem fellas and gals thinking bout at that time as opposed to the crummy structures and short-sighted matrices that exist.

Sorry, dey dont just exist but rather is the dam reality. EVERY day!  So long live the spirit of national pride because without it, with the TTFF at de helm, we could easily have no team! Chris Birchall sure didnt need no caps.   Imagine Shaka say that they just didnt call him back. Really, that sure sounds familiar!
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2013, 02:44:35 PM »
Good luck Nick but be careful the USA doh cap yuh ass then discard you that is all!  :beermug:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2013, 06:33:47 AM »

VB

Invalid comparison.
Valid comparison!!

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2013, 06:34:57 AM »
Plain and simple!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2013, 09:31:07 AM »

VB

Invalid comparison.
Valid comparison!!

Yeah, yuh right. Valid comparison.

Plainly and simply different circumstances. Incontrovertibly rooted in one person grew up expecting to play for Trinidad & Tobago, the other person grew up expecting to play for a country other than Trinidad & Tobago.

Plain and simple everything starts there. Ent?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2013, 01:54:52 PM »
Like Shaka said the TTFF was not calling him until Hengland give him the call up. So the fire was lit under Jack behind for him to call up Shaka.

Offline madness1969

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2013, 10:09:00 AM »
DeLeon, and Chris Birchall ---------  Leroy DeLeon big player ------- chris bichall no relative with big player status.  do the math ---- i thinck Nick take the offer and big on his international career thru trinidad.... if the US dont call him now and dont expect later.

1]; } ?>