April 20, 2024, 07:57:52 AM

Author Topic: How did you rate Russell as a manager  (Read 3670 times)

Offline welshbairn

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
How did you rate Russell as a manager
« on: March 22, 2013, 02:18:07 PM »
Hi folks

I'm a Falkirk fan, and as our legendary attacking midfielder has now expressed his interest in our vacant manager position, I'd be really grateful for any opinions, good or bad, about Russell Latapy's performance as Trinidad and Tobago Manager, or anything else you know about him as a coach.

Hope it's ok to invade your forum :P

« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 02:20:41 PM by welshbairn »

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
Re: How did you rate Russell as a manager
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 02:47:16 PM »
Coaching the T&T National team and coaching a Club are vastly different. Made even more so
considering the Administration & genreal Organization of the Federation. Unfair, for anyone to really rate the man objectively.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 02:59:18 PM »
He good ,dont worry ,go now .

Offline welshbairn

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 03:20:04 PM »
Coaching the T&T National team and coaching a Club are vastly different. Made even more so
considering the Administration & genreal Organization of the Federation. Unfair, for anyone to really rate the man objectively.

How about his time with Caledonia AIA? I hear he's been doing some youth coaching in Portugal recently too? I'm not asking about results, and I've an inkling into the impossible political nonsense he had to deal with at T+T.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 03:23:10 PM »
I going and be honest and say he was defensively naive.

I also witnessed live some training sessions and imo he is no disciplinarian (but that shouldn't be a surprise to anybody)
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 03:56:14 PM »

I also witnessed live some training sessions and imo he is no disciplinarian (but that shouldn't be a surprise to anybody)

I have to be honest and go with this assessment also as coach he seemed more able to communicate what he wanted to achieve with his feet, by participating directly in draining drills, sadly none seemed able to execute once he hit the sidelines...............but, all that must be weighed against how long he has since left the T & T coaching job...plenty time for change IMO
I pity the fool....

Offline welshbairn

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 03:57:08 PM »

Do I detect a worrying fondness for discipline in your signature?  ;D

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 04:13:04 PM »
I think that great game we had against Costa Rica shows he had something about him. There were some brilliant tactical adjustments, throughout that game and folks were excited about the possibilities for a little while.

I think the biggest beef most of us had with him was his odd selections. Striker playing at right back, mysterious omissions, etc. We never really saw him coach our 'best' team. But I get the sense he was trying to build his own best team even though we didn't really have the right parts.

Offline welshbairn

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 04:17:43 PM »
I have to be honest and go with this assessment also as coach he seemed more able to communicate what he wanted to achieve with his feet, by participating directly in draining drills, sadly none seemed able to execute once he hit the sidelines...............but, all that must be weighed against how long he has since left the T & T coaching job...plenty time for change IMO

Our last Manager, Steven Pressley, had 3 assistants. With a good defensive coach and a bolshie, no messing scary f.....r as a deputy, and the coaching badges I presume he's gained since T+T, I'm hoping we give him a go. We've got a very young squad, average age playing a recent game was 19, and when they're allowed to play free flowing attacking football they can be a joy to watch. When ordered to park the bus and attack with one striker on the break they're mindnumbingly awful. The other contenders for the job look likely to favour the latter.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 04:26:31 PM by welshbairn »

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 05:14:36 PM »
He was no dam good as a coach and I am not like the rest of fakers here. He has no discipline as a coach and never stamp his authority as a coach, he allowed the federation to rule him to. He smokes around the players also.

Overall, I dont rate him at all as a coach even though he was one of our best midfielders ever on the field.

The game against Costa Rica and the way Latapy prepare the team for it cost us the game. He was also bias with his selection and was picking players because he was told to. He also accepted the terms, so he have to be part of the problem with our poor admin.

A good read: The rise, fall & future of a T&T football legend.

He is still a T&T man, so I hope he improve and come better next time, but once he continue to hang out with Yorke and Lara who only cares about themselves he will falter.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 06:19:19 PM by Flex »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 05:28:45 PM »
As we say, plain talk
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline welshbairn

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 02:11:44 AM »
He was no dam good as a coach and I am not like the rest of fakers here. He has no discipline as a coach and never stamp his authority as a coach, he allowed the federation to rule him to. He smokes around the players also.

Overall, I dont rate him at all as a coach even though he was one of our best midfielders ever on the field.

The game against Costa Rica and the way Latapy prepare the team for it cost us the game. He was also bias with his selection and was picking players because he was told to. He also accepted the terms, so he have to be part of the problem with our poor admin.

A good read: The rise, fall & future of a T&T football legend.

He is still a T&T man, so I hope he improve and come better next time, but once he continue to hang out with Yorke and Lara who only cares about themselves he will falter.

Scary stuff, and very interesting link. But I read this reply to the link which made me more optimistic:

Legend footballer, Forgettable and Regrettable Coach for T&T

He was the victim of his own downfall, only wanting to play a "Barca" brand which in his mind is the way football should be played as he is in the category of a total football player with 1 touch football and quick passing but shockingly what he didnt pick up from all this was the need for structure and organization, particularly defensively .. we had no urgency to win back the ball when it was turned over and we also didnt have the players necessary for technical football at a high passing level

Play to your strengths , he tried the impossible, admirable but suicidal

Club football is a lot different from international football. At T+T he would have had no time to coach players to play "Barca" style. All he could have done is ask players to pay to their strengths, and, with little or no managerial experience, out think tactically, experienced managers of the opposition. The advantage he'd have at Falkirk is most of our squad have emerged from our academy where the passing game is drilled into them at an early age. And he'd have a summer of training and friendlies to get them ready to play the way he wanted. Plus with his contacts in Portugal and T&G he might have ideas of a couple of signings to strengthen the squad. We're seriously lacking in experience. And he'd know if he got caught smoking round the players he'd be straight out the door.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 02:17:19 AM by welshbairn »

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2013, 06:15:21 AM »
As my friend from Barbados would say it - he was shyt !!!!

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2013, 02:29:09 PM »
Not convinced about him as an international coach.....he was poor, had some funny ideas on tactics and player selection IMO. Having said that, he have ah relatively calm personality so ah think he would do better if he had day-to-day access to player so he could get his point across better. Will he be ah miracle man if employed by Falkirk ? Doubt it! but he certainly would'nt be as shambolic as Barnes was at Celtic. Definitely would do better wid Falkirk as he more familiar with the club and it's setup than he ever was the the T&T side he took over.

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2013, 03:25:30 PM »
He has the experience now to do a good job for you, he seems like a great pick to bring fresh optimism to the club.  I hope he's successful.   
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2013, 07:36:47 PM »
you can also ask people here about Rafa benitez, Mourhino and others
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2013, 08:58:47 PM »

:rotfl:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2013, 09:03:00 PM »
:rotfl: :rotfl: Could always count on the Mag to keep it real. My 2 cents, since Beenhaker we haven't had many coaches that were given complete control of the football. Having said that, idk that we had the tools to play with at the time, and Latas being a novice coach didnt have the time or maybe know how on how to work around it. International coaching and club coaching is two completely different things.

Offline #4

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • #YGBfiles: The Young, Gifted, and Black Files
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2013, 09:53:21 PM »
IMO Latapy might still be manager today given 3 major resources: more control over his selections, time, and quality friendly matches. I don't know how much you can expect from any national team manager who doesn't have access to those things. Given all that and the terrible state of our national football federation when he was managing, I don't think he did too bad.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 09:54:56 PM by #4 »

truetrini

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2013, 11:01:55 PM »
IMO Latapy might still be manager today given 3 major resources: more control over his selections, time, and quality friendly matches. I don't know how much you can expect from any national team manager who doesn't have access to those things. Given all that and the terrible state of our national football federation when he was managing, I don't think he did too bad.

Amen.

Offline Errol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2013, 06:03:57 AM »
I remember clearly Latapy saying he did not need his team to play any friendly games. He said he prefer to take them to Tobago and train instead.

Latapy was relatively poor as a coach, but given that it was his first I would forgive him, would I take him back to coach T&T, probably not or not anytime soon.

He is to soft as a coach and he mix to much unprofessional off field stuff with the players.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2013, 09:29:59 AM »
At that time, and to be objective, in my humble opinion, he was not fully quailfied to handle the task , expectations of a national team seeking qualifications for WC. His decision making, his selection of players, his game preparation and his decisions during games  were vastly  inferior. Relative to a similar player turn coach, it hurts me to say that his Jamaican counterpart has experienced more success.

I would hope that he experience he has gained will serve him well in future endeavours.

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2013, 02:32:06 PM »
from talking to men involved with the squad during latas time, they all knew who were going to play, warm bench and not get call up at all based on their "relationships" with latas prior to him being the coach.

at the end of the day all coaches have their preferences for several different reasons.  do i think he did a good job as coach? NO.  can he do better if given another chance down the road?  YES.  However, he needs coaching experience and also need to get some maturity.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2013, 08:51:22 PM »

ENTTTT
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2013, 10:21:33 PM »
Coaching a club vs a national team..two different things..club you have to get the best players..you can buy,  trade,  barter, borrow ..National Team.. you work with what you have and implement a philosophy of football..Club is all about the  best players you can get with the resources you have to work with..Latapy is an icon ..his life is football he knows Scottish football..he understands club football..he'll make a fine head coach in the Scottish league.

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2013, 01:49:42 AM »
@ welshbairn: You asking to much questions. Are you a prosecutor or a member from the DPP's office?. If or when he becomes manager then the evidence will be on the pitch.
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline Insider

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2013, 04:09:51 AM »

Amen.

Its hard to believe that you were the same guy who wrote me the other day and had a problem with Latapy coming back to coach T&T.

Sigh..

As for Latapy, how can the federation give him all these tools when Latapy himself didn't asked or wasn't even worried about obtaining these requirements. The man was to laid back and the TTFF took advantage of that.

However, Latapy does have experience and knowledge and could just be a good coach one day, maybe he should consider being an assistant first, like Denis Lawrence at Wigan.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 04:59:23 AM by Flex »

Offline Jack Horner

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2013, 08:17:01 AM »
Insider, they call them 2 face, is that's the word you looking for?

Jack Warner will rise again and the world will beg him him to return and he will say "NO".............

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2013, 09:32:18 AM »
Insider, they call them 2 face, is that's the word you looking for?

I tort they have your arse lock up in america for scheming??  :o

when did they cut you lose goose?? looks like the bologna sandwiches was not agreeing with you A tall, any way well come back to the land of the free and the home of bobol.   

PS: are you posting from the detention center??   :rotfl: :rotfl:
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2013, 04:17:19 PM »

Read through this thread especially in the last set of pages and you will get clues, even de Magicians on this site was fed up with him.

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=45329.msg592733#msg592733

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

1]; } ?>