March 28, 2024, 07:34:50 AM

Author Topic: Dennis Lawrence Thread  (Read 116015 times)

Offline Banter Banton

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Spoke To Dennis Lawrence Yesterday
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2013, 09:31:52 AM »
Dennis Lawrence: Set to join Roberto Martinez's coaching team at Everton
By Pete O'Rourke (skysports).

Sky Sports understands Wigan coach Dennis Lawrence is poised to join Roberto Martinez's coaching staff at Everton.

Everton confirmed last week that Graeme Jones, Inaki Bergara, Kevin Reeves and Richard Evans had all followed Martinez from Wigan to Goodison Park.

Wigan were keen to keep hold of Lawrence with the former Trinidad & Tobago international establishing himself as a key member of the set-up at the DW Stadium.

New Wigan boss Owen Coyle was keen to include Lawrence in his plans for the side and hoped to keep him in his coaching staff.

However, Martinez has moved to lure Lawrence away from Wigan as he finalises his backroom team on Merseyside.

Lawrence is highly-rated by Martinez and he sees the former Wrexham and Swansea defender as one of the most innovative coaches around.

BRILLIANT

Keep it up Tallest

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2013, 11:48:58 AM »
High praise there  :beermug:

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2013, 12:10:08 PM »

Sky Sports understands Wigan coach Dennis Lawrence is poised to join Roberto Martinez's coaching staff at Everton.

Everton confirmed last week that Graeme Jones, Inaki Bergara, Kevin Reeves and Richard Evans had all followed Martinez from Wigan to Goodison Park.

Wigan were keen to keep hold of Lawrence with the former Trinidad & Tobago international establishing himself as a key member of the set-up at the DW Stadium.

New Wigan boss Owen Coyle was keen to include Lawrence in his plans for the side and hoped to keep him in his coaching staff.

However, Martinez has moved to lure Lawrence away from Wigan as he finalises his backroom team on Merseyside.

Lawrence is highly-rated by Martinez and he sees the former Wrexham and Swansea defender as one of the most innovative coaches around.

That is some high praise if true. 

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2013, 12:17:36 PM »

That is some high praise if true. 

Arguably, our best foreign-based coach.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2013, 01:27:47 PM »
a trini coaching in the premier league for a top 6 team!  :beermug:

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2013, 01:57:41 PM »
That is some high praise if true

::)

Flex yuh see why I like tuh include links?

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11671/8813439/Wigan-coach-Dennis-Lawrence-is-set-to-join-Everton-s-coaching-staff

What that link supposed to do exactly?  Turn hearsay into fact?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2013, 02:28:38 PM »
Remind me of Dwight. Right time and right place. Dennis, Right time, right place.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2013, 02:40:39 PM »

It actually done accomplished its goal... thanks fuh playing.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2013, 03:50:50 PM »
Great to know he is very innovative. . .we may have an original on our hands.

Well he had to be with that small frame he has and how well he used it in the back line.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2013, 03:53:29 PM »

:rotfl: at your smug comment, you think you hit somebody for six

I see what happened.  You think I don't believe Martinez is moving for Lawrence when the only part I'm skeptical about is the praise part at the end.

Offline BBL

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2013, 05:52:08 AM »
So, what can Dennis Lawrence bring to Everton ?

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2013, 02:24:18 PM »

:rotfl: at your smug comment, you think you hit somebody for six

I see what happened.  You think I don't believe Martinez is moving for Lawrence when the only part I'm skeptical about is the praise part at the end.

LOL
Hart for president

Offline BBL

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2013, 12:34:35 PM »
Very good interview by Lawrence... he struck the right balance between praising Wigan and thanking them for the opportunity the club gave him, and expressing his privilege to be moving to a club like Everton.  Unlike many Liverpool fans I don't hate Everton, but I always wanted to make sure they understand that there was only ONE Liverpool Football Club, in Liverpool.  That won't change, but a small part of me will be rooting for Martinez and Lawrence as well.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2013, 12:37:28 PM »
Dennis made quite an ascent in the football world... and imagine he was more a basketball man at one point.

From Barataria to the world!!  ;D  :beermug: Big up meh 6th Avenue posse
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2013, 12:56:17 PM »
Dennis made quite an ascent in the football world... and imagine he was more a basketball man at one point.

From Barataria to the world!!  ;D  :beermug: Big up meh 6th Avenue posse
congratulations Barataria ppl..we could do this thing man

Offline BBL

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2013, 02:33:25 PM »
http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/2013/07/11/lawrence-joins-backroom-team
Yeah nice interview here from Tallest about moving to his new club.
He is developing nicely as a coach, a future T&T coach or manager for sure!  :beermug:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2013, 02:46:07 PM »
Is Dennis hope for the future because he is a Trini? what happen to other clubs or Countries on the international market? the best option is always first i would think maybe EPL,La liga, SPL, bundesliga and wherever the business takes him and or maybe T&T who knows.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 07:52:03 PM by davyjenny1 »
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2013, 06:32:06 PM »
Thoughtful and articulate . . . Dennis has a good head on his shoulder . . . wish him all the best.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2013, 06:52:08 PM »
Congrats Talles, Martinez takin care of his people.
When Martinez go Chelsea/Liverpool/Spurs I hope he carry him there too.

Offline BBL

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2013, 12:19:27 PM »
Here he is in Everton's staff Christmas video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNPj8Xm1fSA&#t=98

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2013, 01:38:36 PM »
Here he is in Everton's staff Christmas video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNPj8Xm1fSA&#t=98

Funny video.  They really seem like a family environment there.  Martinez have spirits high!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Big interview: Dennis Lawrence - from World Cup legend to Everton FC coach
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2014, 06:20:15 AM »
Big interview: Dennis Lawrence - from World Cup legend to Everton FC coach
By David Prentice (Liverpool Echo)

Heard the one about the World Cup legend who is now a coach at Everton – thanks to the  input of an Anfield folk hero?

If it all sounds like a tall story, April 1 was yesterday – but the man at the heart of the tale does  stand six feet seven inches.

Dennis Lawrence is one of Roberto Martinez’s trusted right-hand men.

He has worked with the Blues boss since his formative days at Swansea – and Martinez has  enormous respect for his work.

“I have huge, huge admiration for what Dennis has done so far,” he said. “I know he will carry  on being a very influential figure at Everton.”

But whatever impact Dennis makes at Goodison in the future, it will struggle to compare to the  reputation he enjoys in his native Trinidad and Tobago.

A tiny Caribbean nation of 1.5million inhabitants, Trinidad shook up the world in 2006 when  they qualified for the World Cup finals in Germany – and Lawrence was the man whose goal  made history.

It was also the first time that Lawrence realised he could affect matters on a football pitch with  words rather than actions – after he stood up to legendary coach Leo Beenhakker.

Lawrence was the man whose downwards header against Bahrain propelled Trinidad to the  finals, but the centre-back who admits his aerial ability “wasn’t the best” shouldn’t even have been  in the Middle East.

Sitting back from a break in training at Finch Farm he explained: “I’ve never really told this story  before, but in the last 10 minutes of the first leg – which finished 1-1 – I felt my hamstring  tighten.

“We had a flight straight after the game directly to Bahrain and we went back to the hotel to pack  up and I will never forget it. I came down the lift and was carrying out my luggage and our coach,  Leo Beenhakker, was standing in the lobby.

“He said to me ‘Dennis I need to have a word with you.

READ MORE...
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
I can't even begin to describe how much I enjoyed reading that. It's inconceivable to think of Dennis Lawrence NOT a part of that XI in Bahrain. Was that doctor in question Babwah?  :beermug:

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
dem kinda new details would best be revealed in a movie based on the event.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
From Dennis Lawrence: My untold World Cup story

Reception in Trinidad will always live with me

The World Cup moment Dennis will take to his grave is not facing England in Germany, it’s not keeping the England strikers quiet for 81 minutes – and it’s not the sight of the ball bouncing into the Bahrain net a couple of months earlier.

The moment Dennis will always cherish came at the airport in Port of Spain the day after his historic header.

“When we got back to the hotel we got a phone call from the Prime Minister requesting that every player come back to Trinidad for a reception.

“But remember, we’re playing in England and there are players having to report back for matches on the Saturday. We’re thinking what shall we do,?

“I called Denis Smith ( Wrexham boss) and I can always remember the first thing he said to me was ‘Congratulations Big man. You’ve got to go’.

“A few of the boys didn’t get permission – including Dwight Yorke who was the team captain.

“But I was vice captain and as the plane is coming in to land I looked out the window and just saw this sea of red.

“I thought ‘what’s happening here?’

“The plane lands. The door opens, the president of the FA gets off first then I follow and there’s just a sea of red. Three quarters of Trinidad and Tobago was in the airport waiting for the team.

“I just thought ‘I can’t believe I’m seeing this.’

“For me that was the moment I’ll take with me. That’s the first time I’ve seen my country come together as one and it shows what sport can do for any culture.

“It was a proud moment.

“It was incredible to play in the World Cup finals against teams like Sweden, England and Paraguay, but the moment for me will be that one at the airport.

“That will be the moment I’ll always cherish.”

The first time I faced Everton...and Wayne Rooney

Dennis Lawrence was a close observer the night Wayne Rooney made Everton history in 2002.

He was one of the Wrexham defenders charged with stopping the teenage prodigy – but couldn’t prevent the teenager from becoming the youngest goalscorer in the club’s history.

“I can remember that night well,” said Dennis. “We drew Everton, which was a big draw with big players like Kevin Campell, Duncan Ferguson – and a young player called Wayne Rooney who I didn't know much about because I was new to the UK at the time.

“That was my first full season.

“It was a good team and it was good for myself.

“It was a fantastic experience for me to be able to play against these type of players.”
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Fantastic reads  :beermug:

1]; } ?>