April 19, 2024, 12:17:31 AM

Author Topic: Field Hockey: Pan Am Cup  (Read 2175 times)

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Field Hockey: Pan Am Cup
« on: August 14, 2013, 08:32:02 AM »
Calypso Stickmen spank Brazil 5-2

Published:Monday, August 12, 2013
Nigel Simon
http://guardian.co.tt/sport/2013-08-12/calypso-stickmen-spank-brazil-5-2

The quintet of vice-captain Dwain Quan Chan, Kwandwane Browne, Wayne Legerton, Kiel Murray and Dillet Gilkes were all on target as this country’s senior men’s hockeymen spanked Brazil 5-2 to make a winning start to Pool B play at the fourth Pan American Cup, Brampton, Toronto, Canada, yesterday.

The local squad skippered by Darren Cowie was originally carded to meet Chile in its opener on Saturday, however due to travel delays, the T&T Hockey Board made a request for a change in fixture to the Pan American Hockey Board, which was agreed too.

The change in fixtures now sees T&T playing Chile on Monday along with the Uruguay and USA match after the South Americans were delayed due to severe storms which resulted in their plane being struck by lightning.

Despite their late arrival in Canada, the “Calypso Stickmen” adjusted well to the spanking new surface quickly and went ahead against the South Americans as early as the third minute through Quan Chan from field goal play before 35-year-old Browne, made it 2-0 in the 29th, in his 288th international match, having played in all Pan American competitions since 1999.

On the resumption, T&T ranked 30th in the world continued to dominate, but some sloppy defensive work at the other end allowed Brazil to pull a goal back via Bruno Paes in the 45th minute.

However, that was as close as the Brazilians came as Legerton rifled home a third from penalty-corner play in the 54th followed by a solo effort from Murray in the 59th for a 4-1 cushion and Gilkes, with a close range rebound four minutes from the final whistle to complete T&T’s scoring. Brazil ended the match on a high though, with a last minute penalty-corner conversion from Stephane Vehrle-Smith.

With the win, T&T moved to top spot in the pool ahead of Canada, which defeated the Brazilians 3-1 on Saturday.

Speaking after the match, Browne said the team was extremely pleased to get the win under their belt especially seeing how tough the Brazilians played against Canada on Saturday.

He added, “The early goal by Dwain was key to helping us settle our nerves and now we have some confidence to take into our next match.”

Today, T&T will play Chile from 5pm followed by Canada tomorrow at 7pm to end round-robin group play. When the tournament began on Saturday, top ranked team Argentina took advantage of a young and inexperienced Mexican team with a 13-2 triumph led by five goals from Facundo Gallioni while it also crushed USA 8-0 yesterday for a 2-0 record and maximum six points while Mexico edged Uruguay, 2-1. At the end of the pool round-robin series, the top two teams will advance to the cross-over semifinals while third and fourth go to semifinals for fifth to eighth spot ahead of the final playoffs for bronze and gold. The winner of the tournament qualifies for next year’s Men’s World Cup in The Hague, Holland while the top six teams qualify for the 2017 Men’s Pan American Cup.

Teams placed seventh and eight will play in the 2015 Men’s Pan American Challenge. Argentina, ranked tenth in the world has already qualified for the World Cup after their superb performance at the recent FIH World League semifinal in Johor, Malaysia, where they finished second to Germany, but ahead of England and Korea.

Tournament results:

Saturday:
Pool A:
      Argentina 13 (Facundo Gallioni 3rd, 4th, 4th, 56th, 59th, Matias Paredes 1st, 33rd, Guido Barreiros 21st, 68th, Lucas Vila 22nd, Guillermo Schickendantz 33rd, own-goal 50th, Leandro Tolini 67th)
      vs Mexico 2 (Argenis Garcia 52nd, Oscar Rosales 59th)

Pool B:
    Canada 3 (David Jameson 30th, Matthew Sormento 49th, Keegan Pereira 55th)
    vs Brazil 1 (Ernst Rost 43rd)

Yesterday:
    Pool A:
      Mexico 2 (Guillermo Pedraza 56th, Alex Valdes 62nd)
      vs Uruguay 1 (Maximilano Tixe 64th)

Argentina 8 (Guillermo Schickendantz 17th, 50th, Facundo Gallioni 5th, Lucas Vila 9th, Matias Paredes 30th, Juan Martin Lopez 42nd, Matias Rey 56th, Pedro Ibarra 65th)
    vs USA 0

Pool B:
     T&T 5 (Dwain Quan Chan 3rd, Kwandwane Browne 29th, Wayne Legerton 54th, Kiel Murray 59th, Dillet Gilkes 66th)
     vs Brazil 2 (Bruno Paes 45th, Stephane Vehrle-Smith 70th)

Chile vs Canada (late match)

Today:
   Pool A: USA vs Uruguay, 3 pm
   Pool B: Chile vs T&T, 5 pm

Wednesday:
   Pool A: Mexico vs USA, 11 am; Argentina vs Uruguay, 5 pm
   Pool B: Brazil vs Chile, 9 am; Canada vs T&T, 7 pm

Thursday:

5th—8th semifinals
   1st—4th semifinals

Saturday:
   final playoffs:
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Field Hockey: Pan Am Cup
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 08:33:03 AM »
T&T stickmen in Pan Am Cup semis
Story Created: Aug 13, 2013 at 10:15 PM ECT
Story Updated: Aug 13, 2013 at 10:15 PM ECT
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/TT-stickmen-in--Pan-Am-Cup-semis-219505831.html

Despite some challenges en route to the Men’s Pan American Cup, the Trinidad and Tobago senior men’s hockey team booked their place in the semi-finals of the competition following convincing victories against Brazil and Chile on Sunday and Monday.

T&T defeated Brazil 5-2, and followed up with a 5-1 win over the Chile.

The Pan American Cup is being held in Brampton, Ontario in Canada from August 10-17, and the winners of the tournament will qualify for next year’s Men’s Hockey World Cup in The Hague, Netherlands.

The top six teams will qualify for the 2017 Men’s Pan American Cup, and the teams placed seventh and eighth will be demoted to the 2015 Men’s Pan American Challenge.

In Monday’s match against Chile, T&T started cautiously, trying not to expose themselves to an early goal, having lost 4-0 to the same opponents in the FIH World League Round 2 earlier this year.

It was not long before T&T took control, opening the scoring in the 12th minute on a penalty-corner with Akim Toussaint pushing into an empty net.

They doubled the lead on the next action by Mickell Pierre after a decisive penetration in the circle.

It was 3-0 after another penalty corner was converted by Toussaint.

Chile wasted two penalty corners before T&T surged forward, scoring two quick field goals by their vice-captain Dwain Quan Chan and Wayne Legerton, leaving the Chilean defence shaking their head and five goals down.

Chile pulled one back through Jan Berczely efforts with 11 minutes to go, but it was too little too late as T&T cruised victory.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 06:49:22 PM »
Loss to Canada Tonight 3-0, that puts us in the semis vs Argentina, who have only scored 50 goals while letting in 2.

Yes 50!
They beat down Uruguay 29-0. That is a goal every 2.5 minutes!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 08:47:15 AM by Bitter »

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 09:14:10 AM »
Loss to Canada Tonight 3-0, that puts us in the semis vs Argentina, who have only scored 50 goals while letting in 2.

Yes 50!

Argentina cut we ass 8-0.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 01:43:12 PM »

Yes 50!

Argentina cut we ass 8-0.

VB

I suppose that better than 13-2 or 29-0

We're scheduled to play the USA in the 3rd-4th place game.

http://www.panamhockey.org/en/competitions-20-2013-pan-american-cup-men-

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 03:57:28 PM »
Beat the USA 3-1 to claim 3rd

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 04:35:02 PM »

:beermug: :beermug: :beermug:

Me eh know much about hockey but seems to me, third best on the continent eh so bad.
Too bad the football team cah emulate this.  :beermug: :beermug:
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 10:01:24 PM »

Me eh know much about hockey but seems to me, third best on the continent eh so bad.

It is a very good performance. At the Pan American level hockey has only won one medal previously, a silver medal in the 1967 Pan American Games. We have placed in the top 4 on 2 other occassions and placed 7th in the 2011 Pan American Games. The women have placed 4th on three different locations, but have never won a medal at the Pan Am level. This was also a special achievement given that the team did not even know if they would participate in the tournament because of a lack of funding and on Saturday, the day of their first scheduled match (later rescheduled), they had a grand total of 9 players in Canada.

We have never beaten Argentina and one has to look back a few years well to find the last time we conceded less than 8 from them in a tournament. And the Canada game was lost 3-1, not 3-0. I am proud of what the guys have accomplished.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 10:34:36 PM »

It is a very good performance. At the Pan American level hockey has only won one medal previously, a silver medal in the 1967 Pan American Games. We have placed in the top 4 on 2 other occassions and placed 7th in the 2011 Pan American Games. The women have placed 4th on three different locations, but have never won a medal at the Pan Am level. This was also a special achievement given that the team did not even know if they would participate in the tournament because of a lack of funding and on Saturday, the day of their first scheduled match (later rescheduled), they had a grand total of 9 players in Canada.

We have never beaten Argentina and one has to look back a few years well to find the last time we conceded less than 8 from them in a tournament. And the Canada game was lost 3-1, not 3-0. I am proud of what the guys have accomplished.

What he said.
it was 3-0 (dunno why I type 3-0)
I also regret not posting the link for the live video feed.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 05:24:04 PM »
In the 60s hockey was extremely popular. Most of the games in North were played at the Police Barracks. Games were broadcast over the radio reguarly. Lots of footballers use to double sport. Some played football and hockey. Football and cricket. Football and basketball. QRC and Saints used to play senior div. and were the only schools who used to play inter-col hockey(that I can remember). The hockey team has pedigree. They won silver in 67, losing to Argentina like Bitter pointed out.. I can't remember TT ever beating Arg.

The women were also good. Rockets was the glamour team in the 70s. They won the PanAmerican club championship in Mex. city(correct meh). And the TT women played in the world championship and came 6th or 7th(correct me). Tiny Cross was the coach, I think. I have had issues with the hockey stadium being built in Tacarigua. With the exception of SAHS and UWI, there is no hockey club east of POS. Right or wrong?  Most of the hockey people in the POS area and Sando and Palo Seco.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 08:54:22 PM »
Rockets and Malvern were the glamour teams in the late 70s early 80s in women's and men's hockey. T&T has still yet to beat either Canada or Argentina in men's hockey as far as I am aware. My mother played for Rockets so I'll ask about the Pan Am club championship. I remember hearing about their participation in the tournament. I also remember her speaking about the World Championship, but I don't know where they placed. The U-21 girls (captained by Stacey Sui Butt) won a silver medal in the Junior Pan Am Championships in '91 and went on to play in the Junior World Cup in '92.

There are no hockey clubs based in the east, but since it is only QPCC, Malvern and Magnolias with an actual clubhouse location it's not like the teams are centrally located anywhere. Lots of players hail from the east, central, south and Tobago. I think we've suffered more from not keeping up the game on a couple decent grass fields in the POS area than the hockey centre being in Tacarigua. The top field in CIC Grounds is a good location as well.

1]; } ?>