March 28, 2024, 05:19:24 AM

Author Topic: 2018 World Cup Thread  (Read 144280 times)

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
Re: 2018 World Cup Thread
« Reply #690 on: June 14, 2018, 02:50:53 PM »
They just did not perform. It just put TT first game in 06 into perspective. We were expected to get about 5. Thanks for the memories 06 Soca Warriors.

I was lamenting the fact that T&T could have easily made this World Cup and perform admirably if Hart was still there
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: June 14, 2018, 04:31:31 PM »
Organizationally yuh could see what Juan Antonio Pizzi's plan was for Saudi Arabia. Sadly for them, the opening goal came largely against the run of play, but prior to the opening goal the key player in central midfield for the KSA was too elaborate when Russia was far from cohesive defensively and looked a bit unsure at the back. One had the sense that a direct approach might have placed Russia on the backfoot. But, once they scored it was a different and more confident ball game. And yes, the GK and the skipper were poor.

(Was good to see Zhirkhov again).
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 08:17:41 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: June 14, 2018, 07:35:01 PM »

This is why I am against increasing the number teams at the 2026 world cup, you will have more low quality teams like Saudi and you will see more shit performances like what we saw today. In the end the quality of the world cup will decrease if they increase the number of teams

Ent!

Like when that shit squad Brazil collect 7 from Germany in the last world cup... or when the next minnow Spain get 5 from The Netherlands
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: June 15, 2018, 05:53:53 AM »

This is why I am against increasing the number teams at the 2026 world cup, you will have more low quality teams like Saudi and you will see more shit performances like what we saw today. In the end the quality of the world cup will decrease if they increase the number of teams

Ent!

Like when that shit squad Brazil collect 7 from Germany in the last world cup... or when the next minnow Spain get 5 from The Netherlands

:heehee: :heehee: :heehee:
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: June 15, 2018, 06:33:16 AM »
I’m here watching this game Uruguay and Egypt and thinking to myself that these are the two teams moving on to the next round because i don’t think Russia beating anyone of these teams. of course i could be wrong but I seriously doubt it.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: June 15, 2018, 07:58:44 AM »
This is how I expect this WC to go. Like a CDL test. Lots of buses and lots of parking.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: June 15, 2018, 08:00:36 AM »
I’m here watching this game Uruguay and Egypt and thinking to myself that these are the two teams moving on to the next round because i don’t think Russia beating anyone of these teams. of course i could be wrong but I seriously doubt it.

On paper, yes. But even with a draw between them ah feel one of them would suffer elimination. The Saudi performance yesterday still gives the Russians a luxury.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: June 15, 2018, 11:02:49 AM »
Cruel loss for Morocco, but time and time again we see own goals like that when you have forwards defending in those situations.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: June 15, 2018, 11:52:17 AM »
This is how I expect this WC to go. Like a CDL test. Lots of buses and lots of parking.

Honestly. I don’t see parking in the first 2games. Quite a bit of stray passes.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: June 15, 2018, 12:05:05 PM »
I know the Olympics was in Sochi, but that was Winter. It doh have diving in the winter Olympics.

What happen to VAR?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: June 15, 2018, 12:11:58 PM »

Yeah, I agree. Teams were set up to counterattack to varying degrees once they regained possession, but I haven't seen a traditional parked bus although there have frequently been at least 8 players behind the ball.

It would be suicidal to approach the opening group stage match with no attacking ambition or intent.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 12:15:58 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: June 15, 2018, 12:13:35 PM »
In its execution, world-class penalty by CR7.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: June 15, 2018, 12:21:06 PM »
Yuh hadda give Costa his due. Very few players would find themselves on a WC squad after being "AWOL" from the team to which they were contracted.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: June 15, 2018, 12:22:31 PM »
And he scores.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: June 15, 2018, 12:45:28 PM »
DeGea has a bout of Karius disease.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: June 15, 2018, 12:46:47 PM »

Yeah, I agree. Teams were set up to counterattack to varying degrees once they regained possession, but I haven't seen a traditional parked bus although there have frequently been at least 8 players behind the ball.

It would be suicidal to approach the opening group stage match with no attacking ambition or intent.

But that is what the bus is. 9 and 10 man behind the ball and hoping for a counter-attack.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: June 15, 2018, 12:54:33 PM »

But that is what the bus is. 9 and 10 man behind the ball and hoping for a counter-attack.

For instance, nothing out there looks like a Mourinho parked bus. Iz more than just the #s.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: June 15, 2018, 12:57:12 PM »
Anyone not expecting drama in the 2nd half? Match set up for another memorable chapter in WC  history.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: June 15, 2018, 01:11:29 PM »

For instance, nothing out there looks like a Mourinho parked bus. Iz more than just the #s.

I actually don't think he parks the bus as much as people think. He plays a conservative game plan. Di Matteo used to park the bus with Chelsea.

Still, so far in these games, if you take 3 touches, then there are 8 men behind the ball. Is so normal now, that when it doesn't happen, we are shocked.

Right now, we looking at Spain try to break down this Portugal setup. Unless they score, this will be how the 2nd half looks.

I guess if is not a bus, they parking maxi and breadvan.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: June 15, 2018, 01:18:07 PM »
That shot was  :flamethrower:

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: June 15, 2018, 01:47:08 PM »
This certainly issues a challenge to Messi to perform on this stage.

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: June 15, 2018, 01:57:37 PM »
This certainly issues a challenge to Messi to perform on this stage.

When it's all over Messi wont match him.  CRonaldo not only confident in himself but also his team. When they won Euro with him on the sidelines it gave both him and the team real belief and confidence that they can all perform when needed.  5 years ago Ronaldo wasn't putting that ball back to the top of the box for any of his national teammates.  Sleep on this team at your own Peril.  I was not removing Costa from this game unless injured. He is a straight up battering ram!

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: June 15, 2018, 02:04:35 PM »
Pretty boy is not my favourite player but ah gotta give the man he props today.... :notworthy: :notworthy:
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: June 15, 2018, 03:23:24 PM »
It is all well and good to compare the two. Messi is currently the best attacking midfield in the universe. The other is the best striker in the universe. Who would you start, CR or Costa?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 03:25:17 PM by Deeks »

Online maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: June 15, 2018, 05:20:08 PM »
It is all well and good to compare the two. Messi is currently the best attacking midfield in the universe. The other is the best striker in the universe. Who would you start, CR or Costa?
more to come, plenty games to play

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: June 15, 2018, 07:23:46 PM »
Cristiano Ronaldo steals the spotlight despite Diego Costa’s best efforts
By Paul MacInnes, The Guardian

Age shall not wither him nor custom stale his infinite variety. Ruthless Ronnie was at it again, his 51st career hat-trick topped off with a superlative last knockings free-kick hit with a new technique. Alongside that there was the pace he should have lost five years ago, an efficacy of action that bordered on the supreme and the spatial awareness of a quantity surveyor. The Portugal captain gave a display that was enough to jump-start the World Cup in and of itself. But the delight of this match was that his performance was only one of many intriguing subplots.

Let’s dwell on the big man for a little longer, though. Thirty-three years old and off the back of another Champions League title, another 40-goal season, there remains not one sign of a weakening of his will to win. Perhaps, in fact, it is the opposite, as if the impediments that nature tries to put in his way have been transformed into just another opponent on the pitch, another obstacle to get round. On the evidence of this match Ronaldo appears even to be winning the battle with time. The pace he showed on the counterattack against Spain was terrifying. It may not be common to see him sprinting as much as this, given the way Real Madrid tend to dominate the ball, but there is no doubt he still has it in him.

At the same time he has the cunning and mental wherewithal that only experience can bring. Even then they are tools that are available only when one is determined to use that experience to advantage. He knew Nacho was the uncommon link in this Spanish side and so, in the third minute, he ran at it. Pulling out the stepovers as if he was still a teenager, he duly drew a foul and stepped up to convert the penalty by sending David de Gea the wrong way. Ronaldo’s 27 first-half touches were judicious, every one; in the 16th minute a single backheeled flick on the halfway line sprang the entire Spain defence.

With his second goal, just before half-time, you would not put it past him to have hit the shot straight at De Gea just to put the Spanish keeper under extra psychological pressure. The late, uproarious third was a free-kick. Rather than being struck through the laces in the way he trademarked (before being imitated by so many others) he whipped it round the Spanish wall. He also rolled up the right leg on his short shorts before striking it, another Ronaldo innovation.

So far, so iincomparable, but that was hardly all. At the other end, weighing in at 192 pounds and standing out like a redwood in a team of bonsai trees was Diego Costa. Before the Spanish FA decided to create a national psychodrama by asserting their primacy in HR matters, Costa’s place in the team was probably the most contentious issue in camp. Was his skill set suited to a team who have a long-standing way of playing? If not, would he be willing or able to adapt himself to their needs? The answers, on this display at least, were no and not really, but rather delightfully it did not matter.

The Spanish No 19 was a one-man plan B and he was available from the first whistle. His tiki-taka teammates were not overly inclined to use his very particular set of skills but when they did Costa was in the mood for merking. His first goal began with the incidental pleasure of watching Pepe misjudge the milking of a minor infraction. It ended with that simple combination of brute strength and artisanal precision that is the mark of the former Chelsea man. Costa’s second goal, bundled in on the line from a Sergio Busquets knockdown was just as characteristic. He may not be able to dance round three opponents before playing a cross through a full-back’s legs, but he is certainly good for some other things.

One match, two headlines, and both delivered by men the subject of investigation by Spanish tax authorities. After a relatively lacklustre start to the tournament that would have been enough. But this game had a supporting cast of storylines, too, and Uruguay v Egypt would have loved to have borrowed any one of them.

First, there was that De Gea blooper. It seems a long time since Alex Ferguson had to attack referees after matches in order to deflect attention from the Spaniard dropping crosses. In fact it may be De Gea’s first error since 2011. But it happens to the best of them, as well as most England keepers. Then there was a dazzling display from Isco, and a severe case of stage fright from Goncalo Guedes. Oh and Nacho, a guy who has six goals in his Real Madrid career, scores his first for his country with a strike that is almost certainly through to the goal of the tournament montage if not the top three.

This was a match all right and for those who, at 6.50pm, had written it all off as indigestion, it turns out they were wrong. Fully blown cases of World Cup fever have now been confirmed.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: June 15, 2018, 07:39:11 PM »

Take in this sample from Rob Smyth who did the Guardian's live coverage of the match:

"Messi was better from 2008-13, but I think Ronaldo has comfortably surpassed him in the last five years; I don’t really see how anyone can think otherwise. But it’s probably a discussion for another day. And neither of them are fit to clean Maradona’s bidet."

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: June 15, 2018, 10:45:10 PM »
For some reason, I see two different type of players with skills and flair. One has more attributes of one thing over the other, and vice versa. I know if both were on the same team, that would have been FYAHH.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: June 16, 2018, 04:46:42 AM »
France needs to get its act together.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: June 16, 2018, 08:27:06 AM »
The little lion under pressah!. He just missed pk .

1]; } ?>