When he feel like it
0 (0%)
Maybe in a next life
0 (0%)
Dah is dem other fellas job
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Voting closed: November 24, 2017, 09:29:40 PM

Author Topic: Joevin Jones Thread  (Read 98096 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Joevin Jones Thread
« Reply #330 on: November 23, 2017, 03:10:02 PM »
maxg, you taking this beauty contest thing too seriously. We know he is not the best defender, but he is the best attacking defender. So seeing that they only have one category for defenders, I giving JJ the benefit without any doubts.
but he's not a defender at all..it just not fair to the guys who actually defend... I doh do friend thing, cause I won't stand for it happening against my friends. He is NOT the best defender, last few games I saw, he plays midfield.. he is an impact player, but not the best in any category.  "I doh know why they shoot him, he was a good boy" ting do slide with me. All of Trinidad could and might vote for him if they choose, but I won't and don't have too. TT need him to bring those attributes AND PLAY DEFENCE too.. else who we fooling, the MLS or weself ?
Being nominated is more than enough

Might as well say de same ting about Marcelo, Dani Alves, Valencia etc. Or should they separate the categories into wingbacks and center backs?
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: November 23, 2017, 03:19:57 PM »
Joevin Jones has been shortlisted in the 2017 CONCACAF Awards Best XI - Defenders category. Please vote for him at https://awards.concacaf.com/en/poll/concacaf/male-best-xi-defenders.
  :-\ sorry T man, I can't. He just don't defend IMO. Sadly too, i think it's where he let us down most as he is accustomed to (and maybe prefers) the role he plays with club. If it had best crosser, and most exciting attacking midfielder, he would have my vote.  I like watching him still.

Best crosser? ???

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: November 23, 2017, 06:17:55 PM »
Add Victor Moses to list of defenders who really are not defenders, but play some defence.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 23, 2017, 08:47:57 PM »
In a way we can put Essien on that list. He played CB, RB, CDM, CM, CAM. Natural midfielder but you wouldn't think he can do the same on defence. More a utility player I suppose. . 
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 08:51:23 PM by gawd on pitch »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
After torching Houston, Jones making his last few weeks in Seattle count
« Reply #334 on: November 23, 2017, 09:46:50 PM »
After torching Houston, Jones making his last few weeks in Seattle count
By Matt Pentz (espnfc.com)

The most recent two Seattle Sounders seasons, the run to the 2016 MLS Cup championship and now to the brink of another title game, have hinged on pivot points, moments when their campaigns could have decisively broken one way or the other.

Last year, those were obvious: the firing of longtime coach Sigi Schmid and the promotion of Brian Schmetzer; the midseason arrival of playmaking midfielder Nicolas Lodeiro; Clint Dempsey's irregular heartbeat diagnosis and the team's resilient response to it.

This season, they've been subtler. But one pivot point in particular highlighted both Schmetzer's man-management skills and this group's close-knit bond, two virtues that have the Sounders in full control of their Western Conference final series, following a 2-0 victory in Houston on Tuesday night.

Starting left-back Joevin Jones went AWOL ahead of important rivalry matches against Vancouver and Portland in late August. Despite Trinidad and Tobago's friendly against Jamaica not falling within the FIFA-sanctioned window for matches -- and without team permission to leave early to join T&T -- Jones went anyway, informing Schmetzer only from afar via text message.

Jones' situation in Seattle was already precarious. In July, he signed a pre-contract with Darmstadt of the German second division, meaning he was out the door at the end of the season, regardless. Some viewed his stunt as a thinly veiled attempt to get the Sounders to release him from his MLS obligations early.

It's not as though Seattle would have been left completely high and dry. Young Cameroonian Nouhou Tolo, Jones' presumed successor, had been one of the pleasant surprises of the season and had been playing especially well in the weeks leading up to the episode.

And yet Schmetzer welcomed the prodigal son back into the fold. Jones and the coach hashed things out one-on-one, the player apologized to his teammates, and after sitting out the home game against the LA Galaxy as punishment, it was as if the whole thing never happened.

"He understands where he is with me and with his teammates," Schmetzer said at the time. "He has to prove to them that he is absolutely, fully committed up until Dec. 9 [MLS Cup] and that will dictate how he plays, when he plays, how he plays, all of that sort of stuff.

"People make mistakes. There's no getting around that. As far as I'm concerned, it's put to bed."

Now, this was a calculated gamble. In a team with a more delicate locker room chemistry, Jones' defection and subsequent slap on the wrist could have opened up fractures within the group.

It paid off. Jones' commitment hasn't been in question since. And on Tuesday night, he gave a timely reminder of why he was worth the headache to begin with, torching the Dynamo up the left wing from start to finish.

Jones won the foul that got Jalil Anibaba sent off and reduced Houston to 10 men midway through the first half, and he supplied the cross that effectively ended the series, a pinpoint feed that Will Bruin duly headed into the back of the net.

Jones' legacy in Seattle will be complicated, and not just because he's leaving on less-than-ideal terms. Two years is not a lot of time to build up a dedicated following, and defenders by their nature are less likely to conjure up the fuzzy feelings that, say, strikers do.

Yet his contributions to the Sounders' consecutive title pushes should not be forgotten entirely. Few players have played as active of a role in each of these two postseasons.

It's kind of amazing how diverse Seattle's list of recent playoff heroes is. Nelson Valdez, who scored the winning goal in last year's knockout round, is no longer with the team. Jordan Morris, he of the epic "Flu Game" in Colorado last November, has been out since September with a hamstring injury. Dempsey, whose two goals bested Vancouver in the previous round, missed the entirety of the 2016 run. And Bruin joined the team last offseason.

Of those playing important attacking roles -- Jones is usually a left-back, but he was deployed as a winger on Tuesday night -- only the Trinidad and Tobago international and Lodeiro have been impactful in back-to-back postseasons for the Sounders.

There's actually a case to be made that Seattle should've done more to keep Jones around long term. General manager Garth Lagerwey said the club made a "significant offer" that the player declined, but there had to have been a price point that would have retained his services.

Jones' 2017 salary of less than $100,000, per the players' union, is a pittance, comparatively. Having racked up 11 assists this year, by some distance the most by a defender in MLS, he might be the very best bargain in the league. He is a proven big-game player too, as evidenced by his three assists during last year's championship run and performance on Tuesday night.

At this point, what's done is done. No matter what happens in these next few weeks -- ultimate glory or heartbreak -- they'll be Jones' last in Seattle.

He seems determined to make the moments count, and that's to the credit of Schmetzer, the player himself and a strong-willed group that has a legitimate shot at defending their title.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 24, 2017, 01:04:13 AM »
maxg, you taking this beauty contest thing too seriously. We know he is not the best defender, but he is the best attacking defender. So seeing that they only have one category for defenders, I giving JJ the benefit without any doubts.
but he's not a defender at all..it just not fair to the guys who actually defend... I doh do friend thing, cause I won't stand for it happening against my friends. He is NOT the best defender, last few games I saw, he plays midfield.. he is an impact player, but not the best in any category.  "I doh know why they shoot him, he was a good boy" ting do slide with me. All of Trinidad could and might vote for him if they choose, but I won't and don't have too. TT need him to bring those attributes AND PLAY DEFENCE too.. else who we fooling, the MLS or weself ?
Being nominated is more than enough

Might as well say de same ting about Marcelo, Dani Alves, Valencia etc. Or should they separate the categories into wingbacks and center backs?
1 st off JJ not in them fellas class skills wise, 2ndly dem fellas does play definite wingbacks and does tackle real hard, with venom almost, when necessary..look at the last Seattle game again, or even the last TT game JJ play..With them guys yuh know what you getting hard defence and dangerous attack, JJ is all attack..yuh might be comparing Oranges and Putigal. Yet is all a matter of perspective and opinion. As long as he does what he is contracted to do, fine by me. But certainly not best defender, not even best wingback..Most exciting as far as unpredictabilty attacking wing player, yeah I could argue that..but may not be better than Levi for my team.. Joevin talent is very positive for club, as part of a built team, just put him with some defenders, outside to collect and cause issues for opposing teams we good to go..It will have to breakdown to far to be best yet..he still have some development is all I saying, not best yet in my opinion, yet certainly exciting,  your examples all dun reach.. TT will benefit most if he can manage it. Would love to see more from him, he certainly has the ability to achieve.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 24, 2017, 01:10:07 AM »
Joevin Jones has been shortlisted in the 2017 CONCACAF Awards Best XI - Defenders category. Please vote for him at https://awards.concacaf.com/en/poll/concacaf/male-best-xi-defenders.
  :-\ sorry T man, I can't. He just don't defend IMO. Sadly too, i think it's where he let us down most as he is accustomed to (and maybe prefers) the role he plays with club. If it had best crosser, and most exciting attacking midfielder, he would have my vote.  I like watching him still.

Best crosser? ???
only due to the success of the Seattle forwards actually scoring more crosses he provides, and the club deriving some measure of success as a result...his real strength doh, imo, is given space, he can provide, score (should have last game) or just plain cause hassecara..thus events when he is around the ball.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 01, 2017, 02:25:06 PM »
WATCH: Joevin Jones puts it on a platter for Clint Dempsey to give Seattle Sounders a 2-0 lead over Houston Dynamo.

WATCH: Seattle Sounders FC defender Joevin Jones soaks Head Coach Brian Schmetzer with champagne following the club's 5-0 aggregate win in the Western Conference Championship over Houston Dynamo.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/n7x_o4c9h9Q" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/n7x_o4c9h9Q</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Trinidad and Tobago’s Joevin Jones receives Seattle Sounders FC praise
« Reply #338 on: December 01, 2017, 02:58:01 PM »
Trinidad and Tobago’s Joevin Jones receives Seattle Sounders FC praise
CONCACAF.com

Trinidad & Tobago Joevin Jones received high praise after Seattle Sounders FC rolled to a 3-0 victory over the Houston Dynamo in the second leg of the MLS Western Conference final on Thursday night.

Defending champion Sounders FC won the series, 5-0 on aggregate, and will meet host Toronto FC in MLS Cup final on December 9 in a battle of 2018 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League competitors.

Jones played well as a midfielder, assisting on the second goal at CenturyLink Field.

"JJ's been tremendous," said head coach Brian Schmetzer.

With Seattle leading 1-0 in the 57th minute, Jones demonstrated his playmaking ability from the left flank. He fed Clint Dempsey, who slipped the ball past goalkeeper Joe Willis.

"Joevin's been awesome," Dempsey remarked. "He's had a great year. I don't know how many assists that he's gotten. He's really improved every year, but this year he has taken it to another level."

Jones, 26, registered 11 assists during the regular season, adding two in the playoffs.

Dempsey said that Jones' future "is really, really bright."

"He's a very talented player," added the U.S. international forward. "He makes my job a lot easier with the service that he provides."

MLS Cup will be Jones' final game with Seattle, before he joins SV Darmstadt in Germany on a free transfer in January.

"The job he has done for this club is something that he should be proud of,” Schmetzer concluded. “I'm proud of the job he has done for the club. He's a tremendous talent and I wish him the best."

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 01, 2017, 04:12:34 PM »
Forumites, remember JJ was DEVELOPED by local coaches, including his Father. ;D
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 04:18:23 PM by Deeks »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: December 01, 2017, 05:20:35 PM »
Congrats JJ. Now comes your real test. Bundesliga II is no walk in the park. Not to mention the European mentality and race/foreign expectancy issues. Get ready train mind , heart and body. You have to bring all aspects of the game, else they get a local to hold things up. Wishing you these higher heights. Master this level, and you become A Boss.  There are still higher levels than Boss level, i'm sure you have the talent to discover.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 01, 2017, 06:23:24 PM »
Congrats JJ. Now comes your real test. Bundesliga II is no walk in the park. Not to mention the European mentality and race/foreign expectancy issues. Get ready train mind , heart and body. You have to bring all aspects of the game, else they get a local to hold things up. Wishing you these higher heights. Master this level, and you become A Boss.  There are still higher levels than Boss level, i'm sure you have the talent to discover.

ditto

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #342 on: December 03, 2017, 04:28:03 AM »
Jones goes for second MLS Cup.
By Shaun Fuentes (Guardian).

National team defender Joevin Jones will be hoping to finish his time with Seattle Sounders on a second straight title-winning note when he takes the pitch for them against Toronto FC in the MLS Cup Final on December 9.

Jones was superb for Seattle in their 2-0 win over Houston Dynamo last week and followed up with another deft delivery that led to Clint Dempsey’s goal in Thursday’s 3-0 win over Houston.

“Obviously it would be great to leave Seattle on a winning note. It would be great to win the MLS Cup once again and I’m really looking forward to a performance that will help us bring it home,” said Jones who is due to join Bundesliga 2 club, SV Darmstadt in January.

Seattle coach Brian Schmetzer has already said that he expects Jones to be a complete professional following his decision to leave the camp back in September.

“He understands where he is with me and with his team-mates,” Schmetzer said. “He has to prove to them that he is absolutely, fully committed up until December 9 and that will dictate how he plays, when he plays.

“People make mistakes. There’s no getting around that. As far as I’m concerned, it’s put to bed.”

Jones has been nominated for the CONCACAF top defender award for 2017.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 06, 2018, 10:03:40 AM »
Newcomer Joevin Jones joins up with his SV Darmstadt 98 on the way to a training camp in San Pedro del Pinatar, Spain.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 06, 2018, 11:28:18 AM »
Niceness! Just heard he was having some visa/work permit issues, but was expected to join up with the team on this trip. Apparently though things have not been going so well for the team since he signed. They are now down in 16th place in Bundesliga II and Frings is no longer the coach and the new coach is waiting to see what he has to offer. To his advantage, apparently he's 1 of 2 left footers in the entire squad. Hope things work out for him.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: January 07, 2018, 07:42:56 AM »
I feel Joevin made a mistake to join that shit team who get relegated last season.

He better than that, maybe he went for de money.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #346 on: January 12, 2018, 05:46:45 AM »
Jones makes debut in SV Darmstadt.
T&T Guardian Reports.

T&T senior men’s football team utility player, Joevin Jones kicked off his European professional career on a winning note when he featured in the first-half for SV Darmstadt in a 3-0 defeat of Belgium’s Jupiler League club, Waasland-Beveren at the Pinatar Arena, Football Center, San Pedro del Pinatar on Tuesday.

Today (Friday), the 25-year-Jones and his team coached by Dirk Schuster will continue their pre-season campaign versus 3rd Bundesliga Division’s Wurzburger Kickers before closing out versus fellow 2nd Bundesliga outfit Greuther Furth.

Darmstadt is currently third from bottom of the 18-team 2nd Bundesliga with 19 points from 18 matches to occupy the relegation playoff spot, just ahead Greuther Furth (18 points) and Kaiserslauter.

When the 2nd Bundesliga resumes on January 24, Jones will be hoping to be in his team’s starting line-up for their clash against cellar-placed Kaiserslautern as it seeks to move away from the relegation zone.

Last July, Jones signed with German Bundesliga 2 club SV Darmstadt 98 until June 2020 and former W Connection player moved from American Major League Soccer (MLS) club Seattle Sounders in December following the conclusion of their season in which they fell to Toronto FC 1-0 in the MLS Final.

His first stint in the MLS began in January 2015 when he signed for the Chicago Fire before being traded to Seattle where he lifted the 2016 crown.

At Darmstadt Jones has joined American Terrence Boyd as well as is former Turkish international and ex-Real Madrid and Bayern Munich midfielder Hamit Altıntop, Polish international Artur Sobiech, Slovenia international Roman Bxzjak and Australian international Jamie Maclaren.

SV Darmstadt were promoted to the German Bundelisga for the 2015-2016 season but were relegated to Bundelisga 2 after losing 1-0 to Bayern Munich on the final match day last season.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 12, 2018, 09:57:13 AM »
Man, look how times has changed. Kaiserslautern in the bottom of German D2. This team used to give Bayern, Monchengladbach, etc a run for their money, now they struggling. Back to JJ. Breds, if you standout while your new team avoid the drop to D3, you will have had a successful year, as far as I am concerned.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #348 on: January 13, 2018, 05:34:04 AM »
Jones solid in SV Darmstadt friendly draw.
By Nigel Simon (Guardian).

T&T senior men’s football team utility player, Joevin Jones made his second appearance in as many matches for SV Darmstadt when he played the second-half of a 0-0 winter-break friendly draw with 3rd Bundesliga Division’s Wurzburger Kickers.

On Tuesday, Jones had a first-half run-out in a 3-0 win over Belgium’s Jupiler League club, Waasland-Beveren at the same Pinatar Arena, Football Center, San Pedro del Pinatar before being replaced by Fabian Holland.

And yesterday, the two reversed roles with the 26-year-Jones replacing left back Holland at the resumption of the second-half of a tightly contested match with both teams showing signs of a heavy winter-training regime.

Jones and his teammates will play one final winter-break friendly fellow 2nd Bundesliga outfit Greuther Furth ahead of resumption their campaign versus cellar-placed Kaiserslautern on January 24 as it seeks to move away from the relegation zone.

Darmstadt is currently third from bottom of the 18-team 2nd Bundesliga with 19 points from 18 matches to occupy the relegation playoff spot, just ahead Greuther Furth (18 points) and Kaiserslauter.

When the 2nd Bundesliga resumes on

Last July, Jones signed with German Bundesliga 2 club SV Darmstadt 98 until June 2020 and former W Connection player moved from American Major League Soccer (MLS) club Seattle Sounders in December following the conclusion of their season in which they fell to Toronto FC 1-0 in the MLS Final.

His first stint in the MLS began in January 2015 when he signed for the Chicago Fire before being traded to Seattle where he lifted the 2016 crown.

SV Darmstadt were promoted to the German Bundelisga for the 2015-2016 season but were relegated to 2nd Bundelisga after losing 1-0 to Bayern Munich on the final match day last season.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: January 24, 2018, 12:17:27 PM »
Joevin Jones makes his Bundesliga 2 debut for SV Darmstadt 98 against 1. FC Kaiserslautern. Playing as a left sided midfielder.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: January 24, 2018, 12:20:49 PM »
is half-time in Jones game dey. Very quiet half. He don't look like he out of his league - fitting in good. But definitely not shining like he did at Seattle. Teammates not looking for him to pass to , like before where he was the magic man. Maybe later on they will trust him to make it happen.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 24, 2018, 01:25:21 PM »
So I finally get a Kodi link to work, just in time to see the game abandoned. Why ?

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 24, 2018, 01:32:14 PM »
So I finally get a Kodi link to work, just in time to see the game abandoned. Why ?
come nah man! that was elementary German  ;D

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: January 24, 2018, 01:44:21 PM »
come nah man! that was elementary German  ;D
All i get was "Zu viel Trini auf dem Feld"   ;D

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 24, 2018, 01:47:00 PM »
Kaiserslautern Head Coach had a medical emergency and had to be rushed to hospital.

Both sides agreed to abandon the game... I hope he is ok.
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 24, 2018, 02:21:33 PM »
Kaiserslautern Head Coach had a medical emergency and had to be rushed to hospital.

thanks for info FF. figure it had to be serious. Sorry to hear. 

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: January 24, 2018, 04:52:05 PM »
Hope for good recovery.

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 25, 2018, 08:07:14 AM »
I heard it was a heart attack, I hope he is ok.
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 28, 2018, 06:55:43 AM »
He just scored his first goal for Darmstadt ! Good going JJ!!!
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 28, 2018, 12:01:15 PM »
He just scored his first goal for Darmstadt ! Good going JJ!!!
Did they win?

1]; } ?>