April 19, 2024, 07:12:20 PM

Author Topic: Hart discusses Argentina/Iran friendlies and Kenwyne/Leston transfers  (Read 2144 times)

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Hart: Warriors will gain from Argentina and Iran; coach discusses Kenwyne transfer   
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868)

Trinidad and Tobago national senior team coach Stephen Hart believes the “Soca Warriors” have more to gain than lose from international friendlies against Brazil 2014 World Cup-bound nations, Argentina and Iran, as he braces for a challenging trip to South America in June.

The Warriors face Argentina in La Plata, Argentina on June 4 before tackling Iran on June 8 in Sao Paolo, Brazil. Both opponents will participate at the FIFA showpiece event in Group F and Argentina is ranked third in the world while Iran is 34th.

In contrast, Trinidad and Tobago comes in at 78th among FIFA’s 209 member nations. However, Hart thinks the opportunity to face such strong opposition—not to mention the likes of global superstar Lionel Messi—should be a positive experience for his charges.

“If we are going to build a program for the future, we should test ourselves against the best nations in the world,” Hart told Wired868. “Yes people say the result can be lopsided but if players aspire to play at the highest level then they should find out what that level is about. Any of the top five nations in the world would struggle to play Argentina in Argentina, so it doesn’t get much higher than that...

“We have far more to gain than to lose.”

However, Hart pointed out that preparation for the two testing fixtures could be vital to the team’s showing and he hopes the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) can raise the money to prove the Warriors with an extended pre-Argentina camp.

“I will like to have an extended camp (to improve our readiness) because our players will have been out of competition for over a month,” said Hart, “and that is not an ideal situation when you are coming up against a team that is peaking for a major tournament.”

In related news, TTFA general secretary Sheldon Phillips told Wired868 that the body is trying to schedule a third friendly for the FIFA international match day on March 5. It is likely that the Warriors would face a Caribbean opponent like Haiti and Hart could feasibly use the fixture to blood local-based players.

“Ideally we would like to have two extended all local-based camps before the Caribbean Cup qualifiers start (in September),” said Hart, who would prefer a camp in July and August respectively, “to try out several players who looked decent at local level but who I would like to see at international level.”

The national coach regularly scouts local Pro League and Super League matches and is looking for players that can compete with his present Warriors.

“If you look at Trinidad and Tobago’s striking position, there was a time we had a glut of options but right now I don’t think that is the case,” he said. “The right back is a challenging one to fill too and I would like to see more competition in the goalkeeping department.”

Hart has paid close interest to the transfer news on the local and European circuit too and congratulated national captain Kenwyne Jones on his move from Stoke City to fellow England Premier League team Cardiff City.

However, the coach admitted that he secretly hoped Jones would have moved to Everton instead where he would have linked up with Spanish coach Roberto Martinez. Martinez has already coached two of Jones’ former 2006 World Cup teammates, Jason Scotland and his present Everton assistant coach Dennis Lawrence.

“Selfishly, I would have liked to see Kenwyne go to Everton mainly because of what Martinez could have brought to his game,” said Hart. “It would have been interesting to watch his development there. Martinez is able to relate to players from different backgrounds and ethnic groups and has worked with CONCACAF players before.

“I think he could have brought something to Kenwyne’s game other than what people see his qualities are. But I am just speculating of course.

“I think he will probably play more regularly and consistently at Cardiff, which is something he obviously needs right now.”

Hart noted Central FC’s “ambitious signings” at Pro League level as well as DIRECTV W Connection’s tendency to field more locals of late.

He generally declined to single out players but, when asked about 23-year-old Leston Paul’s transfer from his hometown club Guaya United to Central, Hart suggested that he would not rule out selecting Super League players since its top three teams are of Pro League standard anyway.

Still, he did see some positives in Paul’s move to the “Couva Sharks.”

“I would like to see (Paul) in the most challenging environment he can get himself into,” said Hart. “What would happen is there is more competition for selection (at Central) and he will have to fight more to stay in the squad than he might have at Guaya.

“I wouldn’t necessarily say the Pro League is better than the Super League; but the level is more consistent.”

« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 10:32:19 AM by FF »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Hart discusses Argentina/Iran friendlies and Kenwyne/Leston transfers
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 12:31:24 PM »
forget raising funds for camp, have other lawful commitments to take raise money for first..
but if we could manage to fine KJ/Shaka for 3 mths, sell 3 Stadia, including Tarouba, or add a $10 Carnival airport landing tax for National programmes, we good to go..  nb: ah just being ah ass eh...not tryin to belittle no situation.. :devil:
add: an before anybody tap me up..how come, nobody in jamming Mr Killa for being poltically uncorrect in saying plus girls fat, and throwing magga girls under the bus....ooops wrong section  :D

pss: so much Mud...s thing wrong with the country..buh doh stop the carnival or the football or whatever...all these league for youths, in all sports, all this guidance and keep them off the streets...boy the place woulda be nuclear if we didn't have all that oui... "ah want ah big gyal...
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 12:55:22 PM by maxg »

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 01:39:26 PM »
forget raising funds for camp, have other lawful commitments to take raise money for first..
but if we could manage to fine KJ/Shaka for 3 mths, sell 3 Stadia, including Tarouba, or add a $10 Carnival airport landing tax for National programmes, we good to go..  nb: ah just being ah ass eh...not tryin to belittle no situation.. :devil:
add: an before anybody tap me up..how come, nobody in jamming Mr Killa for being poltically uncorrect in saying plus girls fat, and throwing magga girls under the bus....ooops wrong section  :D

pss: so much Mud...s thing wrong with the country..buh doh stop the carnival or the football or whatever...all these league for youths, in all sports, all this guidance and keep them off the streets...boy the place woulda be nuclear if we didn't have all that oui... "ah want ah big gyal...

lol

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 01:47:31 PM »
Nestle
Angostura
Carib
CGA x2
Digicel
BMobile
Francis Fashions
Sports & Games
Hyatt
Hilton
Fernandez
KFC
Royal Bank
Republic Bank
Scotia Bank
Marios
Blue Water
MoS
MoYA
Matouks
Jimmy Aboud
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 03:38:30 PM »
I am confused as f**k about the posts above

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 05:35:47 PM »

All those are major businesses in T&T that should be consistent sponsors of the TTFA. In reference to raising funds for and extended trip to SA.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 09:12:21 PM »

doh study it, when max on a tirade, it does be a powerful stream of conscious thoughts blending sports, nostalgia and folklore

At least he puttin paragraphs this rounds
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 09:17:52 PM »

doh study it, when max on a tirade, it does be a powerful stream of conscious thoughts blending sports, nostalgia and folklore

At least he puttin paragraphs this rounds
  :laugh:   :devil:

Offline Dynamite Warrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 09:56:24 PM »
I find it very interesting that Hart identifies the RB position as a problem. Not many teams in CONCACAF have a Justin Hoyte as a starter and Cyrus on the bench. I think LB is more of a problem. I know Cyrus is a CB but i think he is a very good RB.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 09:57:59 PM by Dynamite Warrior »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 09:59:59 PM »
Part of our obligation in securing friendlies of this calibre is to bring the best prep we can bring. Best prep sets the platform for the best possible outcomes. Best possible outcomes set the platform for best possible scenarios after the friendlies, and so on and so on, and so on. Cyclical.

So lehwe please get the extended camp ...

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 02:54:24 AM »
I think all-round we're ok, there's not one position I'd say we're terrible at really, we just need to improve quality across the board rather than having a specific weakness.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 10:48:22 AM »
In related news, TTFA general secretary Sheldon Phillips told Wired868 that the body is trying to schedule a third friendly for the FIFA international match day on March 5. It is likely that the Warriors would face a Caribbean opponent like Haiti and Hart could feasibly use the fixture to blood local-based players.

On rumors of playing a friendly match on the next FIFA date in March, President of the Venezuelan Football Federation, Rafael Esquivel stated that "to date we have a formal proposal to visit Trinidad and Tobago to play a friendly game, but we see no need to stop the activities of our players in Europe for a game that does not have an immediate contribution."
http://www.conmebol.com/en/content/rafael-esquivel-dt-says-future-coach-venezuela-will-be-adopted-consensus
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 11:42:50 AM »

On rumors of playing a friendly match on the next FIFA date in March, President of the Venezuelan Football Federation, Rafael Esquivel stated that "to date we have a formal proposal to visit Trinidad and Tobago to play a friendly game, but we see no need to stop the activities of our players in Europe for a game that does not have an immediate contribution."
http://www.conmebol.com/en/content/rafael-esquivel-dt-says-future-coach-venezuela-will-be-adopted-consensus

Oh shit!

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 12:59:22 PM »
They need tuh take down all dem como se dice signs all over d damn country like we really bilingual.......ungrateful suckers

1]; } ?>