April 18, 2024, 02:24:33 PM

Author Topic: 2014 Commonwealth Games Thread: Wed 23 July — Sun 3 Aug 2014, Glassgow, Scotland  (Read 49591 times)

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Flicking crap.

No desire from these guys. Just a laissez-faire attitude from 2 men who should have been the class of the competition

They did their best!

Bledman was no class of that field as he has not regularly beaten all the athletes he was up against in that field this season.
10 flat is the fastest time Bledman has ran all season and that was in T&T at the Senior Champs.

Regards Richard he simply peaked early and was unable to maintain his form for more than 3 to 4 weeks due to lack of strength and speed endurance. He needs to do more strength gym work as well as to run more 200s to build up his speed endurance.

They ran like shit today. Call it what it is.

How can you make such definitive statements on what happened to Richard?  Allyuh is bosoom buddies or wah?
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Flicking crap.

No desire from these guys. Just a laissez-faire attitude from 2 men who should have been the class of the competition

They did their best!

Bledman was no class of that field as he has not regularly beaten all the athletes he was up against in that field this season.
10 flat is the fastest time Bledman has ran all season and that was in T&T at the Senior Champs.

Regards Richard he simply peaked early and was unable to maintain his form for more than 3 to 4 weeks due to lack of strength and speed endurance. He needs to do more strength gym work as well as to run more 200s to build up his speed endurance.

How can you make such definitive statements on what happened to Richard?  Allyuh is bosoom buddies or wah?

THANK YOU!

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Really 10.24? Very disappointing run from Bledman. Now he has to wait to see if he qualifies
Did he take care of business?

As I told you how you run in the Heats means nothing if you still don't make it into the Final.

Sad for both Bledman and Thompson. Guess their only consolation now is to win silver or better in the Relay but I don't see them beating Jamaica in the Relay unless Jamaica slips up badly.

Dude like I said you have comprehension problems. He did not take care of business in the semi final but he definitely took care of business in the prelims. Now I told you before "you like to hear yourself talk."  :D

And I explained that my definition of "Taking care of business" is making the Final and contending for a medal if your form this season shows that you have that ability which is obviously different to your definition. So to cut your childish argument short neither Bledman or Thompson took care of business based upon their abilities and form earlier this season.

Now move on, your definition makes no long term sense to me when we look at what should be the goal and result of taking care of business so maybe you need to become a bit more mature in how you define thinngs.

:D Is this your definition or wikipedia definition? Who definition? Who says your definition is right?

My definition is right to me because it is based on success and also using my common sense which is something you seem to be lacking.
I don't need to refer to wikipedia to work out things unlike yourself plus anyone can edit and change wikipedia to say whatever they want it to say.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Flicking crap.

They did their best!

Both Bledman and Richard did their best based on their current form. I never disputed that they both ran like shit today so no need to get so emotional my friend.

Regards Richard I have been following all his races from early this season and it was obvious to me that he had lost his 9.82 form from about 2 weeks ago.

Before he ran his sub-10s this season I also called it to him on his twitter page so I think I am pretty good at predicting how he is going to run based upon his current form and recent race performances.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 02:00:28 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
They run semis 100  already.

Yeah, Thompson third in his race. Won't be in final.
Ran 10.18.

Not surpsing really, he seems to run his best races in TT.

This is simply not the man of the 2008 Olympics.

I think he can continue training hard but a sub 9.9 won't happen unless it's a TT track.

At first I thought it was the new track that was producing such fast times. But five years later, I can only shake my head at these great times but only in TT. Bledman is the exception.

VB

I have told you more than once VB that Thompson ran fast outside of T&T this season.
He ran 9.95 legal in Europe and 9.74 wind aided in the USA over a month ago.

I believe Thompson's problem is that he peaked early and was unable to maintain his form for more than a period of 3 to 4 weeks.

I thinks his solution to maintaining his form for a longer period is becoming stronger and maybe running more 200s to help him build-up his speed endurance.

Instead of telling me anything, take a step back and ask yourself this question.:

How many times of 9.95 or under has RT run NOT wind aided in the last three years.

What the hell does it matter if he runs a 9.7 if it IS WIND AIDED???

Of his best NON wind aided times in the last three years, how many have been OUTSIDE of TT.

When he rand the 9.82 in TT followed by the 9.95 outside of it, I quietly held my breath. The fact is RT has failed to run consisten low 9.9s for years now.
I eh  vex with him, I think he has just never been the same since the car accident.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Flicking crap.

They did their best!

Both Bledman and Richard did their best based on their current form. I never disputed that they both ran like shit today so no need to get so emotional my friend.

Regards Richard I have been following all his races from early this season and it was obvious to me that he had lost his 9.82 form from about 2 weeks ago.

Before he ran his sub-10s this season I also called it to him on his twitter page so I think I am pretty good at predicting how he is going to run based upon his current form and race performances.

Calling a sub-10 after running a windy 9.7x, requires little analysis. Secondly an athlete running slowly for a period after their big championships is nothing alarming. SAFP does it every season. The Americans have been doing it for years. Most athletes have to cycle off their training,  because staying sharp for the 4-6 weeks between champs put you at risk of both burnout or injury.
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
They simply did not meet their stated goals for the games and really have themselves and their coaches to blame, especially as seasoned professionals who should know how and when to "peak" more than once in a year. Having 3 Jamaicans in a CWG final vs. 0 TTO athletes is not acceptable at this level.

However, having said that I would not call running 10.18 and 10.24 deplorable. Visually they gave their best efforts today which was not good enough.

It is better all of this (MLA, DB, RT, KB) happened this year and not 2015 or 2016, though with the exception of MLA the rest aren't getting any younger.

On to the 400 and the relays, staying vex won't help anybody perform better.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
They run semis 100  already.

Yeah, Thompson third in his race. Won't be in final.
Ran 10.18.

Not surpsing really, he seems to run his best races in TT.

This is simply not the man of the 2008 Olympics.

I think he can continue training hard but a sub 9.9 won't happen unless it's a TT track.

At first I thought it was the new track that was producing such fast times. But five years later, I can only shake my head at these great times but only in TT. Bledman is the exception.

VB

I have told you more than once VB that Thompson ran fast outside of T&T this season.
He ran 9.95 legal in Europe and 9.74 wind aided in the USA over a month ago.

I believe Thompson's problem is that he peaked early and was unable to maintain his form for more than a period of 3 to 4 weeks.

I thinks his solution to maintaining his form for a longer period is becoming stronger and maybe running more 200s to help him build-up his speed endurance.

Instead of telling me anything, take a step back and ask yourself this question.:

How many times of 9.95 or under has RT run NOT wind aided in the last three years.

What the hell does it matter if he runs a 9.7 if it IS WIND AIDED???

Of his best NON wind aided times in the last three years, how many have been OUTSIDE of TT.

When he rand the 9.82 in TT followed by the 9.95 outside of it, I quietly held my breath. The fact is RT has failed to run consisten low 9.9s for years now.
I eh  vex with him, I think he has just never been the same since the car accident.

VB

Not disputing anything you post once you get your facts correct.

Richard's problem is holding his peak season form for more than 3 to 4 weeks and that might be strength and speed endurance related.

Don't think he has ran legal sub-10s outside of T&T for the last couple years but apparently he did a session at the Michael Johnson Performance season before the start of this season and it helped him to work on his weaknesses.
I honestly believe he needs to do more regular 200s to build on his speed endurance in addition to building on his body strength.
Richard is the best we have right now so we have to work with him and wish him all the best until we can get someone consistently better who can take his national title and perform better at the big Championships.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 02:24:57 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Calling a sub-10 after running a windy 9.7x, requires little analysis. Secondly an athlete running slowly for a period after their big championships is nothing alarming. SAFP does it every season. The Americans have been doing it for years. Most athletes have to cycle off their training,  because staying sharp for the 4-6 weeks between champs put you at risk of both burnout or injury.

I agree but there is a big difference between staying sharp and totally losing your form and my observation was that RT totally lost his form about 2 weeks ago. In fact he was running like he had picked up an injury.

To me his problem is that he peaks for 3 to 4 weeks tops and that is it for the season so it could be strength and speed endurance related.
Hopefully it is not related to his car accident so many years ago that he should have totally recovered from by now as VB is speculating.

RT's visit to the Michael Johnson Performance Centre late last year should have helped him to identify any body weaknesses still lingering from his car accident many years ago and he is hopefully using the program they gave him to eliminate them but I am just speculating here.

Btw I called RT's legal sub-10 this season right after I analysed his anchors at the World Relays in the Bahamas and that was before he ran his wind-aided 9.74 in Florida.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 03:07:41 PM by Socapro »

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
That was rough seeing so many of our athletes get eliminated today.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
That was rough seeing so many of our athletes get eliminated today.

Don't think the T&T best ever CWG medal haul prediction by some at home is going to come thru if things continue at this rate.
However it will be a good reality check for those running sports at home to help them realise that there is much more work still to be done before we can start declaring T&T as a World Class sporting nation that is serious about sports and the positive social and cultural change it can help bring about for our country.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 05:37:15 PM by Socapro »

Offline jusbless

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Hmmm I tried to stay quiet about these performances. I think we need to hold commonwealth games , olympics and worlds in Trinidad because it seems our sprinters only perform here. I am so angry that I think none of them should get from the elite athlete fun, A big waste of tax payers money. It seems they perform better when we show no interest in them , when they struggling to make ends meet. They owe the nation an apology , they could not make the finals of a water down commonwealth games , Should we still invest our money in them, I say no , Performance based incentive. Because this is totally embarassing , I shame to log on to Caribbean Track and field forum. Imagine even Barbados had a finalist

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
Lawd when was the last time we did not have a sprinter in a final? 2014  lol and before that?  Well it seems we like to recycle has beens- witness the younger sprinters from Jamaica and GB not to mention StKitts and Barbados- and we still resting our laurels on men from 2008 Olympics glory!!!!!
 What was Darrel Brown - a medical flop doing at the games? Just to run a relay? DNSin the 100meters heats!!! Look nah ah fur get is TnT we dealing with- man still know coaches who want to sentimentally take him to games yet we have young sprinters running in IAFF juniors in Oregon!!!!!!

When we go stop this " star boi" syndrome? Select me who are in form and meeting qualification standards consistently.  Shame shame today for our sprinters- man on team going to track meet just to bull down the place and eh give ah damn!'mmmm shame shame

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Lawd when was the last time we did not have a sprinter in a final? 2014  lol and before that?  Well it seems we like to recycle has beens- witness the younger sprinters from Jamaica and GB not to mention StKitts and Barbados- and we still resting our laurels on men from 2008 Olympics glory!!!!!
 What was Darrel Brown - a medical flop doing at the games? Just to run a relay? DNSin the 100meters heats!!! Look nah ah fur get is TnT we dealing with- man still know coaches who want to sentimentally take him to games yet we have young sprinters running in IAFF juniors in Oregon!!!!!!

When we go stop this " star boi" syndrome? Select me who are in form and meeting qualification standards consistently.  Shame shame today for our sprinters- man on team going to track meet just to bull down the place and eh give ah damn!'mmmm shame shame

I know some of you guys are rightly disappointed with Thompson's and Bledman's performances in the 100m but in regards to Darrel Brown who DNS and who probably won't have qualified for the Final even if he started he did qualify by right to run the 100m at the CWG and it had nothing to do with star boi" syndrome or friend business as you are assuming.

Please go to this thread 2014 NGC/Sagicor Open Champs: Fri.20th ~ Sun.22nd June @HCS (Event videos added) with all the official results and race videos from the Senior Champs this year to get yourself up to speed with which athletes meet the CWG qualification standards and were selected by right to compete at the CWG and that includes Darrel Brown. Its one thing to be disappointed with the 100m performances which you have every right to be but its another thing to make wrong assumptions about why certain athletes were selected for the CWG and believe you are being factual.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 02:13:24 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Hmmm I tried to stay quiet about these performances. I think we need to hold commonwealth games , olympics and worlds in Trinidad because it seems our sprinters only perform here. I am so angry that I think none of them should get from the elite athlete fun, A big waste of tax payers money. It seems they perform better when we show no interest in them , when they struggling to make ends meet. They owe the nation an apology , they could not make the finals of a water down commonwealth games , Should we still invest our money in them, I say no , Performance based incentive. Because this is totally embarassing , I shame to log on to Caribbean Track and field forum. Imagine even Barbados had a finalist

Regards your assumption that all our top athletes are getting Elite funding when they have applied and qualified for it, I think you need to read this thread and rethink your assumption: Bledman needs his funding
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 02:21:56 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
DISAPPOINTING DAY: Thompson, Bledman out in 100 semis
« Reply #135 on: July 29, 2014, 03:00:51 AM »
DISAPPOINTING DAY
Thompson, Bledman out in 100 semis

By Kwame Laurence kwame.laurence@trinidadexpress.com
Story Created: Jul 28, 2014 at 9:37 PM ECT (T&T Express)

Men's 100m Semi-Final 1 | Commonwealth Games 2014 HD
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/PDy5SWuc5Rk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/PDy5SWuc5Rk</a>

Men's 100m Semi-Final 3 | Commonwealth Games 2014 HD
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/BsxoDUS-4RE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/BsxoDUS-4RE</a>

July 28, 2014 promised to be a day that would go down in Trinidad and Tobago’s sporting history…it was not to be.

Richard “Torpedo” Thompson and Keston Bledman exited in the semifinal round of the Commonwealth Games men’s 100 metres dash, at Hampden Park here in Glasgow, Scotland, yesterday, ending the country’s hopes of striking gold in the blue riband event.

“A disappointing day for Trinidad and Tobago,” Thompson lamented, following his elimination. “Myself, Bledman, Michelle-Lee Ahye, and all the other people who were looking to track and field to produce a couple medals. Unfortunately, we didn’t pull it out.”

Thompson was the men’s 100m world leader for a couple weeks thanks to his 9.82 seconds scorcher at the National Championships. And Ahye was the fastest woman in the world this year for a month after blazing the track in 10.85 at the same meet.

With the Commonwealth Games men’s and women’s 100m finals scheduled for the same day, yesterday, a golden T&T double seemed a reasonable expectation.

But a leg injury sustained in Switzerland a fortnight ago put paid to Ahye’s chances. She struggled through her first round heat on Sunday, qualifying second in 11.52, and then withdrew from the Games, leaving her semifinal lane empty.

Thompson was among the starters in the men’s century semis, but was a shadow of the sprinter who became the ninth fastest man in history with the 9.82 run.

Jamaican Kemar Bailey-Cole won the third heat easily in 10 seconds flat, leaving Thompson and Kittitian Antoine Adams to battle for the second automatic qualifying spot.

Thompson leaned at the line, but was narrowly beaten by Adams, 10.18 to 10.19. Thompson’s clocking was not fast enough for a “fastest loser” berth in the final.

Bledman was also third in his heat. And, like his T&T teammate, was too slow to advance. Bledman got to the line in 10.24 seconds in heat one to finish behind Bahamian Warren Fraser, the winner in 10.21, and Jamaican Nickel Ashmeade, who was also credited with a 10.21 clocking.

On hearing confirmation that there would be no “fastest loser” reprieve, Thompson was distraught, but put on a brave face.

“Nothing to blame specifically,” the “Torpedo” told the Express. “I didn’t have a good championship. I just didn’t show up ready, and I’m sorry to disappoint everybody because I know just as I had high hopes and expectations for myself, there were a lot of people expecting the same of me. I just didn’t bring it today. I didn’t do well…disappointing performance.”

For Thompson and Bledman, the focus now switches to the sprint relay.

“It’s all about getting ready for the 4x1,” said Thompson. “Hopefully, we do a lot better there and we medal. We have a strong enough team, competent enough team. Hopefully, we’ll bring home precious metal.”

Two of the medals on offer in the men’s 100m final went to Jamaica. Bailey-Cole repeated his 10-flat run to secure gold, while Ashmeade earned bronze in 10.12. England’s Adam Gemili clocked 10.10 for silver.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 08:59:01 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
TT sprinters bow out; Bovell III in 50 free final
« Reply #136 on: July 29, 2014, 03:08:31 AM »
TT sprinters bow out; Bovell III in 50 free final
Tuesday, July 29 2014 (T&T Newsday)

Men's 100m Semi-Final 1 | Commonwealth Games 2014 HD
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/PDy5SWuc5Rk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/PDy5SWuc5Rk</a>

Men's 100m Semi-Final 3 | Commonwealth Games 2014 HD
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/BsxoDUS-4RE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/BsxoDUS-4RE</a>

It was another disappointing day for TT on day five of the Commonwealth Games currently being held in Glasgow, Scotland.

Yesterday, TT sprinters found it hard to secure a place in the final of their respected events.

It was all downhill for the TT women with Kamaria Durant and Kai Selvon failing to book their spots in the women’s 100m final after placing eighth and sixth respectively in their semi-finals in 11.70 and 11.59 respectively.

Meanwhile, Keston Bledman had to settle for third place in his men’s 100m semi-final race after crossing the finish line in a disappointing 10.24.

National 100m champion Richard Thompson also failed to book a lane in yesterday’s finals, coming third in 10.19. Both athletes were unable to advance as the fastest loser.

Ace local swimmer George Bovell III had a good day though, placing third behind England’s Benjamin Proud (21.76) seconds and Australian Cameron McEvoy (21.94) in the semi-final of the men’s 50m freestyle. He touch the wall in 22.22 seconds, securing a spot in today’s finals.

TT veteran shooter Roger Daniel placed seventh in the 50m Pistol Men’s Finals with 90.5 points. Meanwhile Norris Gomez (244-19v) and Micheal Perez (242-12v) finished 28th and 29th respectively in the Men’s Queen’s prize final. Marlon Moses failed to make it pass the Men’s Rifle Prone qualifying round with 599.5 points.

Triple Jumper Ayanna Alexander made it to the final of her event after finishing second in her qualifying group with her biggest leap being 13.78m.

In the women’s 400m event, Shawna Fermin was a distant seventh in her semi-final in 53.83. Fermin’s compatriot Dominique Williams shared the same fate, eighth in her semi-final in 54.63.

In the male equivalent, Jarrin Solomon progressed to the semi-final round, striding to the line in 45.69 seconds, ahead of Guyana’s Winston George 46.25 and Akheem Gauntlett 46.31 of Jamaica. Renny Quow also qualified for the semi-final round, winning his heat in 45.85 while beating Steven Solomon of Australia (45.86) and South African Wayde Van Niekerk (46.87). Lalonde Gordon finished second in his heat in 45.84 behind Martyn Rooney of England (45.57), Saviour Kombe of Zambia was third in (46.41).

In the Women’s Preliminary hockey match, TT lost to India 14-0.

The TT Netball team was defeated 69-34 by Australia in Pool B action. Today they play England at 4.30 am.

Also today, TT’s Mikel Thomas will be in heat one of the men’s 110m hurdles looking for a spot in the semi-finals along with Durell Busby and Wayne Davis who are in heat two and three respectively. In the women’s 100m hurdles prelims, TT will be represented by Josanne Lucas in heat one and Jeneil Bellille in heat three.

Kendis Ballard will get his first taste of competition in the men’s 800m heat two while Jamaal James is in heat four.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 08:59:32 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Alexander, Bovell bid for precious metal
« Reply #137 on: July 29, 2014, 03:36:41 AM »
Alexander, Bovell bid for precious metal
By Kwame Laurence kwame.laurence@trinidadexpress.com
Story Created: Jul 28, 2014 at 9:18 PM ECT (T&T Express)

Ayanna Alexander looks a genuine medal contender in today’s Commonwealth Games women’s triple jump final, at Hampden Park, here in Glasgow, Scotland. The Trinidad and Tobago athlete earned silver in the event at the 2010 Games in India, and would be keen to make another trip to the podium.

In yesterday’s qualifying competition, Alexander finished second, producing a 13.78 metres effort on her very first attempt—way beyond the 13.40m automatic qualifying mark. Jamaican Kimberly Williams topped the field with a 13.94m jump.

T&T quartermilers Jarrin Solomon, Renny Quow and Lalonde Gordon all advanced to the semifinal round of the men’s 400m.

In heat one, Solomon was in front coming off the final turn, and stayed there, securing victory in 45.69 seconds. Quow won the second heat in 45.86. And Gordon clocked 45.84 for the runner-up spot in the seventh and final heat. The Olympic bronze medallist moved from third to second on the home straight, finishing behind England’s Martyn Rooney (45.57).

Gordon is confident of success in today’s semifinal round. And in tomorrow’s final, he expects to run very fast.

“Hopefully a new personal best,” Gordon declared.

If he can better his 44.52 seconds PR (personal record), Gordon will surely be a strong contender for precious metal.

Solomon has also set his sights on a Commonwealth Games medal.

“It’s always my goal,” he told the Express. “Come out here, get a medal, and represent Trinidad and Tobago to the fullest.”

Quow is keen to regain his 2009 form here in Glasgow. At the IAAF World Championships that year, he bagged 400m bronze, clocking a personal best 44.53 seconds in the semis.

“That’s what I’ve been working so hard for. I’m in that shape. I have the talent, I have the experience, so it’s just to come out here and prove what I could do.”

Shawna Fermin and Domonique Williams bowed out of the women’s 400m event. Fermin finished seventh in semifinal heat number two in 53.83 seconds, while Williams was eighth in heat three in 54.63.

Kai Selvon and Kamaria Durant were eliminated at the semifinal stage of the women’s 100m. Selvon clocked 11.59 seconds to finish sixth in heat three, while Durant was eighth in heat two in 11.70.

In the final, Nigeria’s Blessing Okagbare produced a Games record time of 10.85 seconds for a commanding victory. Jamaicans Veronica Campbell-Brown (11.03) and Kerron Stewart (11.07) earned silver and bronze, respectively.

At the Barry Buddon Shooting Centre, in Carnoustie, T&T’s Roger Daniel finished seventh in the men’s 50 metres pistol final. Gold went to India’s Jitu Rai with a score of 194.1. Daniel was the second man to be eliminated in the eight-man final, finishing with a score of 90.5.

In the qualifying round, earlier in the day, Daniel totalled 545 to advance to the final with the third highest score. His T&T teammate, Rhodney Allen was 18th with a score of 501.

Both Daniel and Allen opted out of the men’s 25m rapid fire pistol.

In the men’s 50m rifle prone qualification event, T&T’s Marlon Moses totalled 599.5 to finish 31st. The top eight shooters contested the final.

And going into the third and final day of the Queen’s Prize individual event, T&T shooters Norris Gomez and Michael Perez are 28th and 29th, respectively.

George Bovell will challenge for precious metal in today’s men’s 50m freestyle final, at the Tollcross Swimming Centre.

In yesterday’s semifinal round, the T&T swim star touched the wall in 22.22 seconds to finish third in heat two and fourth overall. In the opening round, he was fifth fastest in 22.37.

At the Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre (SECC), T&T boxer Aaron Prince outclassed his Bahamian opponent, Godfrey Strachan in their men’s middleweight round of 16 bout.

Prince was always in control, skilfully accumulating points throughout to earn a unanimous decision. He also displayed a solid defence, and at the very end of the fight, showed the crowed he could exchange as well, going toe to toe with Strachan as the Bahamian made a desperate bid to snatch victory.

“Oh yeah, I could do that,” said Prince of his late-fight aggression. “But that’s not what it’s about. My style is not to stand and slug it out with nobody punch for punch. Hit and don’t get hit, that’s the principle.

“I want the gold,” he continued, “so I have to push myself to the limit and get there. Reach out and grab it.”

At the SSE Hydro, T&T gymnast William Albert was  15th after the first day of men’s all-around qualification with a score of 39.633. His best performance was on the rings, scoring 14.200 for 11th spot.

At the SECC, goal attack Joelisa Cooper scored 15 goals from 24 attempts in T&T’s 69-34 defeat at the hands of Australia in the netball competition. Goal shoot Kalifa McCollin chipped in with 10 goals from 15 attempts.

And at the National Hockey Centre, the T&T women went under 14-0 to India.

Team T&T Today
(All TT times)

4.30 a.m. – Netball vs England
4.30 a.m. – Table tennis, men’s & women’s singles
5.05 a.m. – Athletics, Kyron Blaise, men’s long jump qualifying
5.55 a.m. – Athletics, Mikel Thomas, men’s 110 hurdles heats
5.58 a.m. – Gymnastics, William Albert, men’s individual qualifying
6.00 a.m. - Hockey, Men vs Malaysia
6.01 a.m. – Athletics, Durell Busby, men’s 110 hurdles heats
6.07 a.m. – Athletics, Wayne Davis, men’s 110 hurdles heats
7.15 a.m. – Athletics, Josanne Lucas, women’s 400 hurdles heats
7.29 a.m. – Athletics, Janeil Bellille, women’s 400 hurdles heats
7.30 a.m. – Squash, men’s, women’s & mixed doubles
7.57 a.m. – Athletics, Kendis Bullard, men’s 800 heats
8.11 a.m. – Athletics, Jamaal James, men’s 800 heats
After 1.30 p.m. - Boxing, Michael Alexander, men’s lightweight quarterfinal
1.40 p.m. – Athletics, Ayanna Alexander, women’s triple jump final
2.07 p.m. – Athletics, Tonya Nero, women’s 10,000 final
2.16 p.m. – Swimming, George Bovell, men’s 50 free final
3.05 p.m. - Athletics, Jarrin Solomon, men’s 400 semis, heat 1
3.11 p.m. - Athletics, Renny Quow, men’s 400 semis, heat 2
3.18 p.m. - Athletics, Lalonde Gordon, men’s 400 semis, heat 3
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 03:38:16 AM by Socapro »

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Piss poor from Lucas.  False starting in the 400m H is unforgiveable.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Piss poor from Lucas.  False starting in the 400m H is unforgiveable.

dunno what's up with our athletes dis rounds. False start in 400m H  ???  2 athletes DNS in de 110H, etc.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Wasted money
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Wasted money

No Breds. I rather waste the money on the athletes than them people Anil splurged money on. The fact is the various sports association did not prepare their teams to the max. The hockey and netball teams needed to go England and Euro to play warm up games. The hockey team is a U-21/U-23?(correct me). This is only the CW games. We need to double the funding and preps. for the CAC and PanAm games. And triple the funding preps. for the Olimpics. In a way we should be glad the poor performance happen now and not in Rio. Our team sports need to play internation games frequently. I should say every team and individual need to particpate internationally. That means more funding. So if thos friggin business don't step up and help our athletes get to f**k out of TT.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ayanna Alexander just qualified for the triple jump final. I wish her the best in the final. Although Track events get more global attention, we in T&T should start paying more attention to our athletes in the field events.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Trinidad &Tobago's  Kyron Blaise out men's long jump after fouling all three attempts

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
So which one of these individuals need not be raising their hand to be part of future contingents:

Manager- Commissiong

Coaches- Lester Osuna, Arlon Morrison, Gunness Persad, Gerard Franklin, Ismael Lopez, Michelle Pennie, Robin Brereton and Paul Voisin

Medical- Verne Alleyne, Ian Sharpe, Brent Elder and Dr Anyl Gopeesingh.

With the amount of non-starts, false-starts, no-marks, seeming mismanagement and miscommunication of injuries, seeming lack of race tactics and focus by round, seeming lack of knowledge of local competition conditions and thus the necessary wear/kit, something systematic is definitely wrong. It seems only/mostly the seasoned athletes are fairing well. When the majority of a team is performing in such a sub-par manner it usually comes down to one of more of the following:

Competition preparation - camp, coaching, air travel, adjustment period, competition kit for the weather (manager, coaches, physiotherapist), team morale - communicating team goals, individual medal/placing expectations, purpose for being there, assigning team captains, guest speakers like past CWG TT champs, (manager, psychotherapist), team leadership and management - handling all paperwork, administrative obstacles, shielding team from non-competition issues (manager/chef de mission), ensuring team comfort and adjustments - weather, environment, accommodations, food (manager/chef de mission).

It would serve the team to have brief and directed morning and evening meetings each competition day to go through all the risks and resulting plans B/C/D (race tactics and goals, paperwork, timing of meals, timing of transportation, daily weather, necessary wear, timing for physio work and warm ups, inventory of equipment, timing for post-race physio, daily competition recap and lessons for the next day).

Hope the remaining schedule produces better results.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 10:20:54 AM by STMB »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I will put my money on Jehue Gordon bringing home a medal for his country BUT so far the team performance has been very disappointed. This is the Commonwealth Games for damn sake. I really hope our 400m men deliver today.

Not even going to talk about what's happening with T&T athletes in other sports in these games

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I will put my money on Jehue Gordon bringing home a medal for his country BUT so far the team performance has been very disappointed. This is the Commonwealth Games for damn sake. I really hope our 400m men deliver today.

Not even going to talk about what's happening with T&T athletes in other sports in these games

Jehue's best time this year puts him quite far down the list of even CWG participants. While he is getting better gradually it is a tough bet on a medal. What he has going for him is his experience running rounds and making adjustments to suit but it will be tough for him against Cornel Fredericks of RSA, a couple Jamaicans, a couple of Brits, and Van Zyl of RSA who like him is a bit out of shape but very experienced running rounds.

It's a tough year for peaking, when top athletes would rather rest/coast/get surgery/get pregnant (women) while looking forward to 2015/2016. The stars of CWGs are usually new, ascending talent looking to gain confidence, or perennial champs, who even when not in top gear can still beat the rest.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I was expecting this to be our best CW. This is turning out to be the worst. I counted 4 dns and a disqualification so far. I think we leading in that category. Very disappointing.

I guarantee that Mr Roberts will be happy to use these poor performances as a justification for his lack of support for athletics. I wouldnt be surprised if the athletes havent gotten paid as yet.

Please Jehue, Solo, Quow and Gordon.. Make us proud.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
When does KAB return to competition?

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Lets go Ayanna Alexander! she is currently in bronze medal contention!

http://results.glasgow2014.com/event/athletics/atw062101/womens_triple_jump_final.html

1]; } ?>