March 28, 2024, 02:33:46 PM

Author Topic: T&T Para-Athletics News  (Read 5851 times)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
T&T Para-Athletics News
« on: May 09, 2014, 04:26:56 PM »
Stewart eyes more glory for T&T
Published: Friday, May 9, 2014 (T&T Guardian)

The start of last year saw the emergence of para-athlete Akeem Stewart, who came up big in the track and field sport of shot put, with an impressive win in Medellin, Colombia at the Il Campeonato Paralimpico de Atletisimo Games, in November, with a throw of 17.49m, in his class.

Quiet and gentle, the Tobago resident went through a vigorous classification session in order to compete as a para-athlete for the first time in Colombia. Competition at the Para-Games is divided by the type and extent of the athlete’s impairment.

This classification is determined by teams of medical and technical experts at specific games worldwide.

Being an F-43 athlete, this performance places Stewart less than one metre shy of the international Paralympic world record, a goal he has set his sights on as he moves toward more stringent competitions.

As the 2014 season began, Stewart has quietly continued to forge ahead on his journey to excellence. Competing in the open competition, he has shown his prowess on the field here at home.

He took top honours both at the Falcon Games, in April and again at the Twilight Games, last weekend, leaving little doubt about his talent, as well as his dedication, drive, commitment and passion for the sport.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 02:14:27 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Para-athlete impressive in shot put
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 06:15:57 PM »
Para-athlete impressive in shot put
Friday, May 9 2014 (T&T Newsday)

THE YEAR 2013 saw the emergence of para-athlete Akeem Stewart. With an impressive win in Medellin, Colombia at the Il Campeonato Paralimpico de Atletisimo Games in November with a throw of 17.49 metres.

Quiet and gentle, this young man from Tobago went through a vigorous classification session in order to compete as a para-athlete for the first time in Colombia. Competition at para-games is divided by the type and extent of an athlete’s impairment. This classification is determined by teams of medical and technical experts at specific games worldwide.

Being an F43 athlete, this performance placed Stewart less than one metre shy of the International Paralympic world record, a goal he has set his sights on as he moves toward more stringent competitions.

As the 2014 season began, Stewart quietly continues to forge ahead on his journey to excellence. Competing in Open Competition, he has shown his prowess on the fields here at home.

He took top honours both at the Falcon Games in April and again at the Twilight Games last weekend, leaving no doubt in anyone’s mind this talented athlete possesses dedication, drive, commitment and passion for the sport.

Throwing a length of 17.11m at the Falcon Games, Stewart outdistanced his competition and set a high standard for the other athletes to follow in year ahead. Pleased, but not yet satisfied with his progress, he welcomed his invitation to the Twilight Games on May 1 at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo. His intention here was not only to come out on top, but to indicate to all, his ability to become the most sought after athlete in shot put circles, as he begins to peak.

With a winning length of 17.98m at the Twilight Games, he is well on his way to attaining his personal goals of making Trinidad and Tobago proud both at the 2016 Olympics and Paralympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

As he prepares for his next competition in Barbados on May 13, the public can be assured that his sights are set on another mammoth throw and successful meet.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 06:17:41 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Para-Shot Putter: Stewart eyes more glory for T&T
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 02:21:32 PM »

Great news coming out of the International Paralympic Committee World Championships 2015 currently happening in Doha, as Trinidad and Tobago’s Akeem Stewart's 5th round throw of 59.13 meters in the Men’s Discus F44 Final was enough to capture 3rd spot.

https://www.facebook.com/CNC3Television/videos/10153716546212996/

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Stewart bags Para Worlds bronze *
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 11:42:14 PM »
Stewart bags Para Worlds bronze *
Published on Oct 22, 2015, 8:16 pm AST (T&T Express)

PROUD TRINBAGONIAN: Trinidad and Tobago’s Akeem Stewart proudly displays his International Paralympic Committee (IPC) Athletics World Championship men’s discus throw F44 bronze medal, in Doha, Qatar, yesterday.

Akeem Stewart bagged bronze for Trinidad and Tobago on the opening day of the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) Athletics World Championships, in Doha, Qatar, yesterday.

Stewart landed the implement 59.13 metres to secure third spot in the men's discus throw F44 event. Americans Jeremy Campbell and David Blair earned gold and silver, respectively. Campbell, the F44 world record holder at 63.46m, won yesterday with a Championship record throw of 61.21m. Blair and Stewart also bettered the previous Championship standard of 58.98m. Blair's best throw was 60.46m.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Cain 5th in 200m final
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 11:47:21 PM »
Cain 5th in 200m final
Published on Oct 24, 2015, 11:24 pm AST (T&T Express)

Trinidad and Tobago’s sprinter Nyoshia Cain finished fifth in the final of the Women’s 200m T44 with a time of 28.24 seconds yesterday at the 2015 IPC Athletics World Championships currently underway in Doha, Qatar.
At the Suhaim Bin Hamad Stadium, Cain was fifth behind the champion and pre-race favourite, Netherlands’ Marlou van Rhun (25.75).
France’s Marie-Amelie Le Fur (26.58) grabbed the silver with van Rhun’s teammate Fleur Jong taking the bronze (27.30) with Germany’s Irmgard Bensusan (27.33) coming in fourth.
The other finishers in the finals were USA’s April Holmes (28.60), Canada’s Marissa Papaconstantinou (28.75) and Italy’s Giuseppina Versace (28.77).
On Friday Cain had the seventh fastest qualifying time for the final when she posted 28.46 seconds in the preliminaries.
That time attained the qualifying standard and made also her eligible to start at Rio Paralympic Games 2016. That achievement justified the Trinidad and Tobago Paralympic’s decision to send her to Doha.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Cain bolts to World Championship bronze *
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 02:06:55 PM »
Cain bolts to World Championship bronze *
By Kwame Laurence, kwame.laurence@trinidadexpress.com
Published on Oct 30, 2015, 12:01 am AST (T&T Express)

TRACK STAR: Trinidad and Tobago sprinter, Nyoshia Cain competes at the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) Athletics World Championships, in Doha, Qatar. Cain bagged bronze in the women’s 100 metres T44 final, yesterday. —Photo: AFP

Nyoshia Cain secured precious metal for Trinidad and Tobago at the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) Athletics World Championships, in Doha, Qatar, yesterday. The 20-year-old sprinter bolted to bronze in the women's 100 metres T44 final in a personal best 13.31 seconds.

Marlou van Rhijn stopped the clock in a world record time of 12.80 to strike gold, the Dutch sprinter completing the women's T44 sprint double. France's Marie-Amelie Le Fur got home in 13.12 to pick up silver.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 02:13:33 PM by Socapro »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: T&T Para-Athletics News
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 04:42:36 PM »
Congrats, Ms. Cain!!!

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2015, 05:54:21 AM »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2015, 11:06:32 PM »
Congrats to Nyoshia Cain  :beermug:

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Stewart gets Para-Pan double gold bonus
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 09:43:33 AM »
Stewart gets Para-Pan double gold bonus
Saturday, December 12 2015 (T&T Newsday)

Tobago’s Akeem Stewart was rewarded for his double gold medal success at the Para-Pan Games in Toronto in August with a cheque for US$6,000 presented by the president of the Trinidad and Tobago Olympic Committee (TTOC) Brian Lewis at the Conference Room of the Division of the Education, Youth Affairs and Sport in Scarborough, Tobago on Thursday.

The incentive was part of the medal bonus pledge by the TTOC to reward athletes who medal at the Para-Pan and Pan American Games.

Present for the presentation were Secretary of the Division Huey Cadette, Assistant Secretary Jomo Pitt, Technical Director of Sport Justin Latapy George, Secretary General of the TTOC Annette Knott and one of Stewart’s coaches Wade Franklyn.

Stewart won the men’s discus and javelin events in the F44 class in Toronto but broke the world records as a F43 competitor.

Cadette congratulated Stewart and said that his success must be credited to the support of others. “We are happy to be part of the success. I think the fact that Akeem is here today is a reflection that we are getting some things right.

Before Akeem we had Kelly-Ann (Baptiste), Lalonde (Gordon), Renny (Quow) and Josanne (Lucas). We have a lot be proud of.

I want to pay kudos to the Franklyns (Wade and Gerard).

Cadette called for more attention of Para- athletes like Stewart.

“I want to challenge us to ensure we give our para-athletes our support. We don’t ever hear anyone say ‘let’s have a contingent to support our para-athletes’. With Akeem’s success, we have to ensure we give it the same kind of emphasis.” Knott said Stewart will create further history if he qualifies for the Rio Olympics and Para-Olympic Games as he will be the first local athlete to achieve such a feat. “I know that our athlete here (Akeem Stewart) will be in both the Para Olympics and I am hoping as well the able-bodied Olympics.

That will be history for Trinidad and Tobago to have an athlete both at the Para and Olympic Games,” she said.

Meanwhile, Lewis pledged the TTOC’s commitment to continue working with the Tobago House of Assembly for the development of sports in Tobago. “I give the assurance that as long as Mrs Knott and myself are at the helm of the Olympic Committee, the relationship with Tobago will not be one of lip service but one of deep commitment.” Stewart was one of six athletes and two teams which medalled at the Pan and Para- Pan Games. Olympic champion Keshorn Walcott (Javelin), Cleopatra Borel (shot put) all won gold at the Pan Am Games along with the men’s 4x400m relay team. Mikel Thomas (110m hurdles), Machel Cedenio (400m), Njsane Phillips (sprint), George Bovell (50m freestyle) and the men’s 4x100m relay team also were rewarded for their medal winning performances
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 09:46:51 AM by Socapro »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2016, 04:24:26 PM »

BREAKING: WORLD JAVELIN RECORD FOR T&T's AKEEM STEWART IN RIO PARALYMPICS
http://www.cnc3.co.tt/press-release/breaking-world-javelin-record-akeem-stewart

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2016, 04:26:16 PM »

BREAKING: WORLD JAVELIN RECORD FOR T&T's AKEEM STEWART IN RIO PARALYMPICS
http://www.cnc3.co.tt/press-release/breaking-world-javelin-record-akeem-stewart

:applause: Gold medal and new world javelin record for Akeem Stewart!

Well done! Very proud of you!  :beermug: 🇹🇹

http://www.cnc3.co.tt/press-release/gold-medal-and-new-world-javelin-record-akeem-stewart

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2016, 11:14:16 AM »
Congratulations Akeem and Miss Cain! Well done

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2016, 07:51:19 PM »

Congrats to Nyoshia Cain for winning a bronze medal in the women 100m final in 13.10. well done! :beermug: 🇹🇹

https://www.facebook.com/TTOlympicCommittee/photos/a.183804871665991.38714.123604181019394/1114255481954254/?type=3&theater

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2016, 04:35:30 PM »
Forum. we must congratulate Mr. Stewart and Ms. Cain for the their superb effort. I know is like the after thought games. I must confess, I did not look at it. I guess I was burnt out by the disappointment of the  regulars. But Congrats to them. I hope they are well rewarded.

Offline jason23

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2016, 06:25:58 PM »
i agree, even i am more impressed by there effort,
sad how they recieve lest that the average athlete in this country
and they give there all even more and look where they are...really am proud and happy for these 3 athletes
hope they rewarded well indeed!! :) :)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
TT'S PARALYMPIANS BACK HOME, AKEEM SAYS LOOK OUT FOR MORE MEDALS
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2016, 08:26:08 PM »
TT'S PARALYMPIANS BACK HOME, AKEEM SAYS LOOK OUT FOR MORE MEDALS
Wednesday, 21 September 2016 19:11

"Look out for me over the next four years."

That's the affirmation coming directly from Paralympian Akeem Stewart as he and the rest of Team TTO returned from the Games in Brazil on Tuesday night.

Stewart copped two Medals, Gold and Silver, in field events while Nyoshia Cain also won Bronze on the track.

But the overall effort of the team should be enough to earn the differently-abled greater respect from their fellow men.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/79mKIE1XpBM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/79mKIE1XpBM</a>
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 08:30:36 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
PARALYMPIC TEAM RETURNS
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2016, 09:16:45 PM »
PARALYMPIC TEAM RETURNS
Date: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 20:45

They're back, the paralympic trio of Akeem Stewart, Shanntol Ince and Nyoshia Cain arrived back home just after 11.20pm last night after the long journey from Baha De Tijuca to Piarco.

CNC3 sports was amongst the welcome reception to greet these sporting heroes.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/tLZFVWhLPbU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/tLZFVWhLPbU</a>
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 09:19:55 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2017, 02:58:28 AM »
Bump!!

Will be updating this thread later today with hopefully some good news!  :)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2017, 09:55:39 PM »

Another world record and gold medal for Akeem :applause:

1]; } ?>