April 19, 2024, 03:38:33 AM

Author Topic: WI VS. NZ. 2nd Test, June 16-20, QPO, POS, Trinidad & Tobago  (Read 9202 times)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Please put all posts re. the Second Test here.

Thanks,
VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: WI VS. NZ. 2nd Test, June 16-20, QPO, POS, Trinidad & Tobago
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 07:21:50 AM »
West Indies axe Samuels and Powell
ESPNcricinfo staff
June 14, 2014
http://www.espncricinfo.com/west-indies-v-new-zealand-2014/content/current/story/752457.html

West Indies have dropped allrounder Marlon Samuels and opener Kieran Powell from their squad for the second Test against New Zealand in Trinidad, and replaced them with uncapped batsman Jermaine Blackwood and Leon Johnson.

Blackwood, a 22-year old from Jamaica, has played 16 first-class matches and averages 40.38, with three hundreds and six half-centuries. He scored two centuries for the High Performance Team in recent matches against Bangladesh A. Blackwood also scored 94 and 118 in the final of the 2014 regional four-day competition against Windward Islands.

Johnson, 26, played three ODIs for West Indies in 2008, against Bermuda and Canada, but hasn't appeared in an international since then. The Guyana batsman scored three half-centuries in the two matches against Bangladesh A. Johnson averages 33 after playing 50 first-class games.

Samuels was dropped after he made a pair in West Indies' 186-run defeat in the first Test at Sabina Park. He was dismissed second ball both times, and has only three scores above 20 in his last 12 innings.

Powell made 28 and 0 in Jamaica, and has consistently failed to convert his starts for a while now. He passed 20 in eight of his last 15 innings but has a high score of 48 in that period.

The second Test against New Zealand begins at Queen's Park Oval on June 16.

Squad: Denesh Ramdin (capt), Chris Gayle, Kraigg Brathwaite, Kirk Edwards, Darren Bravo, Jermaine Blackwood, Leon Johnson, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Kemar Roach, Jerome Taylor, Sulieman Benn, Shane Shillingford, Jason Holder, Shannon Gabriel.

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 07:30:19 AM »
Good to see Blackwood and Johnson getting a chance.....what's the point of doing well in the regional tournaments if it doesn't earn you a test call-up.
If left up to me Darren Bravo would get the axe as well; he's done nothing of note recently to justify his continued presence on the squad. He needs to be sent the message that you can't coast by on perceived potential and a sprinkling  of decent past exploits; he needs to step up now!

socafighter

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 08:21:17 AM »

For Immediate Release

Saturday, June 14, 2014

West Indies Squad for 2nd Test vs New Zealand

BRIDGETOWN, Barbados –

The West Indies Cricket Board’s Selection Panel today named the 13-man squad for the 2nd Test Match against New Zealand. The match will be played at Queen’s Park Oval, Trinidad, from Monday June 16 to Friday, June 20.

FULL SQUAD

Denesh Ramdin (Captain)

Sulieman Benn

Jermaine Blackwood

Kraigg Brathwaite

Darren Bravo

Shiv Chanderpaul

Kirk Edwards

Shannon Gabriel

Chris Gayle

Jason Holder

Leon Johnson

Shane Shillingford

Kemar Roach

Jerome Taylor

TEAM MANAGEMENT

Ottis Gibson (Head Coach)

Sir Richard Richardson (Team Manager)

Sir Curtly Ambrose (Bowling Consultant)

Stuart Williams (Assistant Coach)

Andre Coley (Assistant Coach)

C.J. Clark (Physiotherapist)

Hector Martinez Charles (Strength & Conditioning Co-ordinator)

Richard Berridge (Video & Statistical Analyst)

Philip Spooner (Media Manager)

Virgil Browne (Massage Therapist)

SERIES SCHEDULE

June 8-12: First Test – New Zealand won by 186 runs at Sabina Park, Jamaica

June 16-20: Second Test – Queen’s Park Oval, Trinidad

June 26-30: Third Test – Kensington Oval, Barbados

July 5: First T20I – Windsor Park, Dominica

July 6: Second T20I – Windsor Park, Dominica

socafighter

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 09:15:58 AM »

Dwayne Bravo misses out again
Published: guardian
Saturday, June 14, 2014

The West Indies cricket team, trailing 0–1 in the current Test series against New Zealand, will have to do without the services of allrounder Dwayne Bravo after he again damaged his hamstring and will be out for up to a month. Bravo was called up for a preparatory camp to prepare for the current series in Barbados. The right-hander took active part in the camp but was declared not fit enough to take on the rigours of a five-day Test match. He was expected to be in the fray for the second Test that begins on Monday at the Queen’s Park Oval in Port-of-Spain but re-injured his hamstring and will now not be available to make his much anticipated return to Test cricket.

Meanwhile, the West Indies team for the second Test flew into Trinidad last night and today, will begin preparations for the second Test. The Caribbean boys went under to the Kiwis by 186 runs in the opening match of the series at Sabina Park in Jamaica on Wednesday, the fourth day of the Test. Skipper Denesh Ramdin lost his opening Test as West Indies captain but will be looking forward to make amends in the second match, which will be played in front of his home crowd. Over the next few days the West Indies coaching staff is expected to do a lot of work with the batsmen, who failed miserably in the first Test. The West Indies tallied 262 in the first innings and 216 in the second. Things could have been far worse for them in the second innings were it not for a record last wicket stand of 82 between Shane Shillingford and Sulieman Benn.

New Zealand skipper Brendon McCullum said he was expecting a backlash from the home team. “The West Indies are a very proud team and we expect them to come hard at us in Trinidad. They are not a team to roll over and we expect that they will be coming for us. There is not much we can do about that. All we have to do is to prepare well and stop focussing on the opposition. “I mean we have to focus on them in terms of their strength and weaknesses but at the same time we cannot forget our game. We need to keep fine tuning our game and take it from there. We have some very eager players with us and they want to do well badly and this has been working for us over the past year.”

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 01:35:13 PM »
Good give the young men a chance. Time for some house cleaning
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

socafighter

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 07:29:26 AM »
Black Caps pondering over final XI

Sunday, June 15 2014
newsday

NEW ZEALAND are mulling over the Queen’s Park Oval pitch here as they contemplate their final XI for the Second Test against West Indies starting tomorrow.

The tourists fielded two seamers and two spinners in the First Test at Sabina Park in Jamaica last week, coming away with an emphatic 186-run victory inside four days.

However, coach Mike Hesson admits they are not too sure what to expect from the Queen’s Park Oval surface.

“I’ve heard contrasting views. Some have said it’s going to be a dustbowl and others have said they’re going to leave plenty of grass on it,” Hesson said.

“I’d expect something similar (to Kingston) but with (Kemar) Roach and (Jerome) Taylor they’ve got a couple of very good seamers so I thought they would have left a bit more life in it. For this Test they might see that as a different way to attack us.”

On a flat Sabina Park track, New Zealand were led by an eight-wicket haul from debutant off-spinner Mark Craig as he destroyed the Windies in both innings.

Leg-spinner Ish Sodhi grabbed three second innings wickets as West Indies, set 403 to win, tumbled to 216 all out.

If the pitch looks like it will favour seam, fast bowler Neil Wagner will be a serious consideration, with Sodhi sitting out, as Craig assumes the role of frontline spinner.

“With left-handers (Craig) is going to be our trump card. Ish didn’t bowl as well as he would have liked in the first innings but he bowled superbly in the second,” said Hesson. “They complemented each other really well and that’s what you need to win Tests away from home.”

(CMC)

socafighter

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 09:25:34 PM »
Shillingford doubt
‘Niggle’ could prompt bowling change for 2nd Test

By Roger Seepersad
Story Created: Jun 15, 2014 at 9:31 PM ECT
Express

West Indies find themselves in a familiar position heading into the second Test against New Zealand starting today at Queen’s Park Oval, Port of Spain.
The hosts are one-down in the three-match series following a 186-run loss in four days at Sabina Park and West Indies captain Denesh Ramdin said they have learnt from their mistakes and will be coming harder at New Zealand to try and level the series.

“I think we tried (in the Jamaica Test)...They wore us down, they batted with a lot of patience,” said Ramdin, noting that the home team needed to take note of how the visitors batted and try to emulate them in Trinidad.
In the four days since the end of the first Test, Ramdin said they have been looking at some footage and talking about the opposition and how patient they were with bat and ball.
“We as batters need to spend more time at the crease and we need to do that in this game. We know they might come with a different attack but we are prepared for it,” the skipper added.

To try and turn their fortunes around, the West Indies have opted for a few changes to the squad, dropping out-of-form middle order batsman Marlon Samuels and opening batsman Kieran Powell and bringing in Jermaine Blackwood and Leon Johnson, who were both successful with the bat for the West Indies Sagicor High Performance Centre against Bangladesh A.

Yesterday, Ramdin said both replacements could be in line for a Test debut and that they might even have to tweak their bowling

socafighter

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 09:29:32 PM »
Johnson ‘elated’ with WI call-up
Story Created: Jun 14, 2014 at 9:37 PM ECT
Express

Guyanese middle order batsman Leon Johnson is  ‘very happy and elated’ to be called up to the West Indies team for the second Test against New Zealand starting tomorrow at the Queen’s Park Oval.
Johnson, from Kumauni Creek in the Demerara River, opener Kraigg Brathwaite and middle order bat Jermain Blackwood were three changes made to the Windies squad after the team lost the first Test by 186 runs at Sabina Park last week.
“I just want to continue scoring runs as I have been doing and make meaningful contributions in whichever way I can to the team” Johnson told the Kaieteur News shortly before leaving for Trinidad and Tobago.

The talented player who also bowls useful spin made his first-class debut for Guyana against the Leewards at Enmore in 2004 when he was just 16.
Johnson has two hundreds and 19 fifties from 50 first-class matches and has been consistent this season for Guyana when he registered his maiden first-class to for his country in Antigua against the Leeward Islands in April.

“I think the main reason for my recent success is due to me maturing not only as a player but a person as well, so that has enabled me to understand the game and my own game better,” explained Johnson.

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 07:48:20 AM »
New Zealand wins the toss and bats; second toss in a row that West Indies have lost, steups.

socafighter

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 12:56:46 PM »
Note ...All pictures courtesy WICB

Brian Lara was on hand to present Jermaine Blackwood his first international cap, West Indies v New Zealand, 2nd Test, Trinidad, 1st day, June 16, 2014

NEW ZEALAND 1st innings   R   M   B   4s   6s   SR

TWM Latham   c Benn b Roach   82      163   10   0   50.30
HD Rutherford   c Gayle b Taylor   3   37   22   0   0   13.63
KS Williamson   c sub (JO Holder) b Gabriel   42      104   5   0   40.38
LRPL Taylor   not out   17      34   3   0   50.00
BB McCullum*   not out   4      4   1   0   100.00
Extras   (b 2, lb 6, nb 3)   11               

Total   (3 wickets; 54 overs)   159   (2.94 runs per over)

To batJDS Neesham, BJ Watling†, TG Southee, IS Sodhi, MD Craig, TA Boult
Fall of wickets 1-16 (Rutherford, 8.1 ov), 2-120 (Williamson, 42.4 ov), 3-146 (Latham, 51.5 ov)
    Bowling   O   M   R   W   Econ   
JE Taylor   11   4   15   1   1.36   (1nb)
KAJ Roach   14   1   45   1   3.21   
ST Gabriel   10   2   33   1   3.30   (2nb)
 SJ Benn   19   3   58   0   3.05   

Lunch ..

Jerome Taylor in action at Queen's Park Oval,
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 02:38:02 PM by socafighter »

socafighter

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2014, 01:23:56 PM »

Kane Williamson plays the ball behind point

Inshan Ali: "To the West Indies Board of Control, are you for real? Why isn't Sunil Narine in the team for the second match? Maybe the cricket board for the West Indies can tell me why. If they are basing their reason that Sunil Narine did not report on June 1st, and decided to play in the final IPL game which his team won, they, the selectors of the West Team need to be fired.

Reason: Brendon McCullum played the match two days earlier for Chennai. Had Chennai won that match, he would have played the final match on June 1st against Narine's team. I doubt strongly that the New Zealand selectors would have dropped him because he is the captain. "

Kemar Roach appeals for a wicket

Frenetic last few minutes of the second session, during which West Indies have reprieved Ross Taylor thrice. They have sent back both Williamson and Latham, though, and will be back to probe at McCullum and Taylor after tea. Join us at 3 pm

DC: "Quite frankly i think the pressure of captaincy has taken a toll on Ramdin's wicket keeping. The byes and indecisiveness of not going at that chance are evidence. "

Tom Latham brings up his fifty

« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 02:05:54 PM by socafighter »

socafighter

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2014, 01:24:50 PM »
Benn to McCullum, OUT, appeal for leg before, umpire Tucker says no, Benn wants the review immediately, Windies decide to go for it, McCullum is caught on the crease as this carries in to him from a length, and hits the back leg, ball tracker shows it hitting middle near the top, there is no HotSpot, but there does not seem to be an inside edge, and after an eternity, umpire Tucker raises the finger, so finally, some reward for Benn, and no thanks to any Windies fielder
BB McCullum lbw b Benn 4 (6b 1x4 0x6) SR: 66.66

End of over 57 (1 run) New Zealand 167/4

LRPL Taylor 18 (42b 3x4 0x6)
JDS Neesham 5 (8b 1x4 0x6)

SJ Benn 21-3-60-1
KAJ Roach 15-1-49-1

socafighter

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2014, 01:47:03 PM »
Taylor to Neesham, OUT, West Indies continue their resurgence today, Neesham flashes at a short and wide one, and Gayle takes the screamer at first slip
JDS Neesham c Gayle b Taylor 15 (34m 25b 2x4 0x6) SR: 60.00

Shannon Gabriel bends his back

End of over 63 (1 run) New Zealand 193/5

BJ Watling 0 (6b 0x4 0x6)
LRPL Taylor 34 (55b 6x4 0x6)

SJ Benn 24-3-69-1
JE Taylor 12-4-20-2

Jordanious77: "The BIG difference between McCullum and Narine is McCullum was told he could play the IPL finals. Whereas I'm guessing Narine was told to leave his IPL side and join the WI team and he made his decision clear. I guarentee that if McCullum was asked to join up with NZ early he would have. McCullum would put his country first, and Narine didn't. That is the main point of difference here. If McCullum had been asked to come back early and he didn't, i'm 100% sure NZ would have dropped him for the tests as well. Narine lacked respect for the team and ALL team managements have to stand up to players not putting their team first in order to create a winning culture."
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 02:07:27 PM by socafighter »

socafighter

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2014, 01:53:21 PM »

Jermaine Blackwood receives his first international cap, West Indies v New Zealand, 2nd Test, Trinidad, 1st day, June 16, 2014

Ticcups: "How can we sit in our living rooms and question Narine's loyalty to WI cricket, when he put in the time(years) and effort to become skilled enough to be a world class spinner. These players have all dreamed of playing for the WI their whole lives, if you ask anyone of them I am sure they would put WI first, but they all are acutely aware that there is still a lot of life to go after cricket, and who will take care of them then? WICB, I think not."

Taylor to Watling, OUT, another one to Taylor, Watling pushes without moving his feet at a pitched up ball outside off and feathers it through to the keeper
BJ Watling c †Ramdin b Taylor 0 (8b 0x4 0x6) SR: 0.00

End of over 64 (5 runs) New Zealand 198/6

IS Sodhi 0 (2b 0x4 0x6)
LRPL Taylor 39 (57b 7x4 0x6)

JE Taylor 13-4-25-3
SJ Benn 24-3-69-1

Trevor E Smith: "If Narine was lying on a beach somewhere I could understand. But alas, he was putting his skills to the test against very stiff competition. Precisely the kind of preparation that the Windies desperately need. Sometimes we make rules and stick them without any regard for what is in the best interest of all stakeholders in each situation."

Taylor to Sodhi, OUT, Jerome Taylor continues to chip away at New Zealand, and Gayle holds on to another one at first slip, Sodhi is half forward as he pushes at an away moving full delivery, and thick-edges to Gayle
IS Sodhi c Gayle b Taylor 0 (10b 0x4 0x6) SR: 0.00

New Zealand 199/7 (67.3 ov)

Shannon Gabriel picked up the wicket of Kane Williamson, West Indies v New Zealand, 2nd Test, Trinidad, 1st day, June 16, 2014

End of over 68 (7 runs) New Zealand 206/7

TG Southee 7 (4b 1x4 0x6)
LRPL Taylor 39 (69b 7x4 0x6)

JE Taylor 15-4-33-4
SJ Benn 26-5-69-1
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 02:33:10 PM by socafighter »

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2014, 02:20:23 PM »
any online links for the match?

socafighter

socafighter

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2014, 02:25:49 PM »

Jerome Taylor is congratulated by Denesh Ramdin

End of over 70 (1 run) New Zealand 210/7

TG Southee 10 (13b 1x4 0x6)
LRPL Taylor 40 (72b 7x4 0x6)

JE Taylor 16-4-34-4
SJ Benn 27-5-72-1

Benn to Southee, OUT, Benn in action right after drinks, Southee is given leg-before by umpire Tucker and reviews after consulting with Taylor, Benn tosses it up, Southee plays from the crease, he is struck absolutely plumb in front, ball tracker shows that is hitting middle
TG Southee lbw b Benn 10 (14b 1x4 0x6) SR: 71.42

New Zealand 210/8 (70.1 ov)

« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 02:34:10 PM by socafighter »

socafighter

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2014, 02:36:22 PM »
Gabriel to Craig, OUTCraig dabs at a rising back of a length ball, and edges it to second slip, where Darren Bravo takes a sharp catch low to his right
MD Craig c Bravo b Gabriel 4 (7b 1x4 0x6) SR: 57.14

New Zealand 215/9 (71.3 ov)

End of over 72 (7 runs) New Zealand 217/9

TA Boult 1 (3b 0x4 0x6)
LRPL Taylor 41 (73b 7x4 0x6)

ST Gabriel 11-2-40-2
SJ Benn 28-6-72-2

End of over 74 (3 runs) New Zealand 220/9

TA Boult 1 (11b 0x4 0x6)
LRPL Taylor 44 (77b 7x4 0x6)

ST Gabriel 12-2-43-2
JE Taylor 17-5-34-4

Benn to Boult, OUT, that has to be it, and it is, Benn gets his third, just reward after seeing so many chances go down off his bowling, Boult caught on the crease with the arm ball, he is given, they review it, ball tracker has that hitting the top of leg stump
TA Boult lbw b Benn 1 (12b 0x4 0x6) SR: 8.33

Sulieman Benn appeals for an lbw chance, West Indies v New Zealand, 2nd Test, Trinidad, 1st day, June 16, 2014

New Zealand 221 (74.4 ov) all out
West Indies  0/0
New Zealand won the toss and elected to bat

New Zealand have lost their last nine wickets for 101 runs. What a comeback from the home bowlers, and that amid their fielders missing so many opportunities
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 06:17:08 PM by socafighter »

socafighter

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2014, 02:58:27 PM »
Innings break - Day 1
    NEW ZEALAND 1st innings   R   M   B   4s   6s   SR

TWM Latham   c Benn b Roach   82   229   163   10   0   50.30
HD Rutherford   c Gayle b Taylor   3   37   22   0   0   13.63
KS Williamson   c sub (JO Holder) b Gabriel   42   153   104   5   0   40.38
LRPL Taylor   not out   45   159   80   7   0   56.25
BB McCullum*   lbw b Benn   4   12   6   1   0   66.66
JDS Neesham   c Gayle b Taylor   15   34   25   2   0   60.00
BJ Watling†   c †Ramdin b Taylor   0   9   8   0   0   0.00
IS Sodhi   c Gayle b Taylor   0   16   10   0   0   0.00
TG Southee   lbw b Benn   10   21   14   1   0   71.42
MD Craig   c Bravo b Gabriel   4   9   7   1   0   57.14
TA Boult   lbw b Benn   1   19   12   0   0   8.33
Extras   (b 4, lb 6, w 2, nb 3)   15               

Total   (all out; 74.4 overs; 349 mins)   221   (2.95 runs per over)

Bowling   O   M   R   W   Econ   
JE Taylor   17   5   34   4   2.00   (1nb, 1w)
KAJ Roach   17   1   61   1   3.58   
ST Gabriel   12   2   43   2   3.58   (2nb, 1w)
SJ Benn   28.4   6   73   3   2.54   

socafighter

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2014, 03:00:11 PM »
New Zealand have lost their last nine wickets for 101 runs. What a comeback from the home bowlers, and that amid their fielders missing so many opportunities. Most of the New Zealand batsman contributing to their dismissals, including the solid Tom Latham, who made his third successive fifty. The pitch had eased out after the first hour, but New Zealand have ceded the advantage Latham had built up for them. There is still some help out there, and West Indies are faced with just under half an hour of batting

socafighter

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2014, 03:11:29 PM »
Game live here ....http://www.cricmelive.com/sky-sports-3-live-streaming.php

Click on schedule ..various streams are carrying the game...

Gayle and Brathwaite walk out to open. Boult has the new ball

End of over 1 (maiden) West Indies 0/0

CH Gayle 0 (6b 0x4 0x6)
KC Brathwaite 0 (0b 0x4 0x6)

End of over 2 (1 run) West Indies 1/0

CH Gayle 0 (9b 0x4 0x6)
KC Brathwaite 1 (3b 0x4 0x6)

TG Southee 1-0-1-0
TA Boult 1-1-0-0

Chris Gayle is bowled, West Indies v New Zealand, 2nd Test, Trinidad, 1st day, June 16, 2014

Boult to Gayle, OUT, what a delivery, Boult goes through Gayle and uproots the off stump
CH Gayle b Boult 1 (11b 0x4 0x6) SR: 9.09

End of over 3 (3 runs) West Indies 4/1

KC Brathwaite 3 (7b 0x4 0x6)

TA Boult 2-1-3-1
TG Southee 1-0-1-0

End of over 4 (maiden) West Indies 4/1

KC Brathwaite 3 (13b 0x4 0x6)
SJ Benn 0 (0b 0x4 0x6)

TG Southee 2-1-1-0
TA Boult 2-1-3-1
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 09:46:33 PM by socafighter »

socafighter

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2014, 06:15:12 PM »
End of over 7 (1 run) West Indies 6/1

SJ Benn 0 (8b 0x4 0x6)
KC Brathwaite 5 (23b 0x4 0x6)

TA Boult 4-2-4-1
TG Southee 3-1-2-0

Ten wickets going down in two sessions. New Zealand squandering a superb start before they pulled one back late in the day with the wicket of Gayle. The ball is still new and it will be a testing first hour for the hosts on day two. Will also be interesting to see how the two NZ spinners go, with Benn finding plenty of bounce and some turn on occasion.

socafighter

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2014, 09:42:59 PM »
Hits and misses
Windies bowlers restrict Black Caps

By \\\\\ Garth Wattley
Story Created: Jun 16, 2014 at 9:46 PM ECT
Express

Had the West Indies fielders been World Cup footballers, they would have been hauled off the field for missing six chances against New Zealand yesterday. But the opposition did not make them pay. A three-wicket burst by Jerome Taylor after tea, and better catching saw to that, as the Black Caps were curtailed for 221 on the opening day of the second Test.

And perhaps the tone for this match was set when in the seven overs West Indies batted before the close, late swing by Trent Boult plucked out Chris Gayle’s off-stump, leaving nightwatchman Sulieman Benn to go to the close with Kraigg Brathwaite at six for one.
Taylor’s perfect length in a five-over spell (5-0-19-3) rescued a day at the Queen’s Park Oval that was going to pieces for Denesh Ramdin and his men before the break. But Taylor removed Jimmy Neesham, BJ Watling and Ish Sodhi to seize the advantage for the Windies, after Benn had made the initial breakthrough, winning an lbw decision via the Decision Review System (DRS) against visiting captain Brendon McCullum. 

Giant left-arm spinner Benn (28.4-6-73-3) and Shannon Gabriel (12-2-43-2), playing his first Test at home—replacing the injured Shane Shilingford—chipped in with four wickets between them as New Zealand collapsed. They lost seven wickets for 62 runs.
Benn, victim of four of the six missed opportunities, was eventually rewarded for utilising his height and the bounce the pitch offered him; while Taylor (17-5-34-4) who also removed opener Hamish Rutherford (in for Peter Fulton) in the first session, kept his length just full enough — especially in that post tea session — to entice his victims into giving catches.
New Zealand’s rapid decline in the afternoon left WI skipper Denesh Ramdin with a smile on his face. That smile was not there however in the last over to tea, when in the closing minutes of the session, debutant Jermaine Blackwood missed Ross Taylor (45 not out) at backward point, and in the last over,  Ramdin himself and solitary slip Chris Gayle allowed a Taylor edge to sail between them, and Kirk Edwards grassed a one-handed effort very close in on the on-side, next ball, the last of the session.

Those were three escapes for Taylor with just 17 to his name. He would get a fourth later before Benn ended the innings with the wicket of Trent Boult.
“What happened was that we created the chances and once that was happening we knew we could do it again,” an unperturbed Taylor said of those second session mishaps.
He certainly kept his cool to deliver in a way the West Indies have missed too often in his absence of nearly five years.
The let-offs, while not reflecting well on the choice of shot by the batsmen, was also an indication that the bowlers could get more joy from this surface than they did in Jamaica. So while perfect foil Benn and quicks Taylor, Gabriel and Kemar Roach would have been pleased to keep the total below 250 after opener Tom Latham (82, 229 minutes, 10 fours) and Kane Williamson (42, 153 minutes, five fours) had posted 105 for the second wicket.
The Windies only removed Rutherford in the first session, but might have done better had they collectively made the batsmen play at more balls after McCullum had won the toss and decided to bat first again.

Latham and Williamson put on 105 for the second wicket after left-hander Rutherford followed a ball he could have left and gave Gayle the first of his three catches in the innings.   
Latham, with his third consecutive half-century of the series was threatening to hold up the Windies even further. But a tumbling low catch by Benn in the gully ended his resistance after lunch at 146 for three. Big Benn did not miss his targets on this day.

socafighter

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2014, 08:47:19 AM »
Day 2

Game live at this link ....http://www.cricmelive.com/sky-sports-3-live-streaming.php

Pictures are courtesy WICB

Tim Southee celebrates Suliemann Benn's wicket, West Indies v New Zealand, 2nd Test, Trinidad, 2nd day, June 17, 2014

Southee to Benn, OUT, no need of reviews this time, Southee has cleaned up the nightwatchman, length ball, pitching middle, coming in, hits the pad and ricochets onto the stumps
SJ Benn b Southee 4 (20b 1x4 0x6) SR: 20.00

End of over 12 (wicket maiden) West Indies 16/2

KA Edwards 0 (3b 0x4 0x6)
KC Brathwaite 6 (38b 0x4 0x6)

TG Southee 6-3-7-1
TA Boult 6-3-5-1

End of over 16 (7 runs) West Indies 32/2

KA Edwards 12 (22b 1x4 1x6)
KC Brathwaite 9 (43b 0x4 0x6)

MD Craig 1-0-7-0
TA Boult 8-3-11-1

End of over 21 (6 runs) West Indies 52/2

KC Brathwaite 24 (63b 1x4 0x6)
KA Edwards 17 (32b 2x4 1x6)

TG Southee 9-3-17-1
MD Craig 3-0-16-0
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 01:26:51 PM by socafighter »

socafighter

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2014, 09:28:37 AM »
End of over 26 (6 runs) West Indies 82/2

KA Edwards 37 (47b 6x4 1x6)
KC Brathwaite 34 (78b 3x4 0x6)

JDS Neesham 3-0-22-0
MD Craig 5-1-24-0

James: "In fairness to Braithwaite, the scoreboard has been rattling along recently. As ever with West Indies, need to carry on, and not get carried away."

R Sawh: "Avenash is right, and it's probably no surprise that Brathwaite considers Chanderpaul to be his favorite batsman. Along with Shiv's son, Tagenarine, there may be a whole new generation of stubborn defenders in the future! "

The ball is being changed, the previous one has landed on the roof the stadium. Southee has a chat with umpire Gould as he rubs it on his trousers

Kirk Edwards scored an attacking half-century, West Indies v New Zealand, 2nd Test, Trinidad, 2nd day, June 17, 2014

End of over 28 (6 runs) West Indies 100/2

KA Edwards 49 (53b 7x4 2x6)
KC Brathwaite 40 (84b 4x4 0x6)

JDS Neesham 4-0-28-0
MD Craig 6-1-36-0
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 01:18:30 PM by socafighter »

socafighter

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2014, 09:56:29 AM »
Sodhi to Edwards, OUT, lovely again, and this time Sodhi has something to show for it too, flights it again, pitches right on off stump, quite some turn takes a thin edge as Edwards pushes forward to defend, Watling snaps it up
KA Edwards c †Watling b Sodhi 55 (64b 7x4 3x6) SR: 85.93

End of over 31 (11 runs) West Indies 119/3

DM Bravo 10 (3b 2x4 0x6)
KC Brathwaite 43 (88b 4x4 0x6)

IS Sodhi 1-0-11-1
TA Boult 10-3-15-1

End of over 32 (1 run) West Indies 120/3

DM Bravo 10 (7b 2x4 0x6)
KC Brathwaite 44 (90b 4x4 0x6)

TA Boult 11-3-16-1
IS Sodhi 1-0-11-1

End of over 34 (maiden) West Indies 124/3

DM Bravo 10 (13b 2x4 0x6)
KC Brathwaite 48 (96b 5x4 0x6)

TA Boult 12-4-16-1
IS Sodhi 2-0-15-1

Its Lunch ....

« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 10:05:37 AM by socafighter »

socafighter

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2014, 01:11:14 PM »
End of over 52 (2 runs) West Indies 175/3

KC Brathwaite 72 (153b 7x4 0x6)
DM Bravo 37 (64b 5x4 0x6)

TA Boult 15-4-22-1
MD Craig 13-2-55-0

Don: "I think today has been a reality check for Mark Craig and the NZ team. Debut 8 wickets, playing at the international level must have seemed so easy just the match before. However, at this level if you aren't right at the top of your game every ball, every session you'll find yourself in trouble very quickly. Although when a team is going through a successful patch its good for them to find themselves on the back foot every now and again, just as a reminder that at this level you can never take it easy. "

Kraigg Brathwaite pulls, West Indies v New Zealand, 2nd Test, Trinidad, 2nd day, June 17, 2014

End of over 55 (4 runs) West Indies 191/3

DM Bravo 48 (78b 7x4 0x6)
KC Brathwaite 77 (157b 8x4 0x6)

MD Craig 15-2-70-0
TA Boult 16-4-23-1

« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 01:20:45 PM by socafighter »

socafighter

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2014, 01:23:07 PM »
Chris R: "WI fans are impossible to please. When we collapse in a heap we are batting too 'wild' When a batsman digs in we are batting too slow. Not sure what WI fans want"

Annan Boodram: "@ Chris R: not sure what Windies fans you/'re referring to. The real fans, the ones who sleep, dream and breathe our cricket want exactly what we're seeing here right now. And we would be in heaven if we see this consistently."

End of over 56 (2 runs) West Indies 193/3

KC Brathwaite 78 (160b 8x4 0x6)
DM Bravo 49 (81b 7x4 0x6)

IS Sodhi 6-0-29-1
MD Craig 15-2-70-0

End of over 57 (9 runs) West Indies 202/3

KC Brathwaite 82 (164b 9x4 0x6)
DM Bravo 54 (83b 8x4 0x6)

JDS Neesham 5-0-37-0
IS Sodhi 6-0-29-1

Big Mike: "I'm absolutely loving what I'm seeing...not too far from the Oval and I think I'm gonna stop in and show my appreciation for a good knock from Braithwaite. Loving the grit and grind he's showing. I do think Gayle should be down to #5 though."

End of over 61 (2 runs) West Indies 209/3

DM Bravo 58 (101b 8x4 0x6)
KC Brathwaite 85 (170b 9x4 0x6)

JDS Neesham 7-0-43-0
IS Sodhi 8-1-30-1

The partnership has grown to exactly 100 at the tea break. West Indies only 12 behind New Zealand now. Little support for Southee and Boult. Craig just not allowed to settle down, Sodhi inconsistent and Neesham all over the place.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 01:49:31 PM by socafighter »

socafighter

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2014, 02:09:57 PM »
End of over 62 (1 run) West Indies 210/3

KC Brathwaite 86 (176b 9x4 0x6)
DM Bravo 58 (101b 8x4 0x6)

IS Sodhi 9-1-31-1
JDS Neesham 7-0-43-0

End of over 64 (12 runs) West Indies 224/3

DM Bravo 69 (105b 9x4 1x6)
KC Brathwaite 89 (184b 9x4 0x6)

IS Sodhi 10-1-43-1
TG Southee 16-4-40-1

End of over 66 (14 runs) West Indies 246/3

DM Bravo 83 (111b 9x4 3x6)
KC Brathwaite 97 (190b 11x4 0x6)

IS Sodhi 11-1-57-1
TG Southee 17-4-48-1

Leo: "Very poor selection by New Zealand, going into a match with 2 inexperienced spinners (even at first class level) and only a part time medium pacer to fall back on. Really should have picked Neil Wagner, seems like the perfect wicket for him to work with the old ball."

End of over 68 (2 runs) West Indies 251/3

KC Brathwaite 100 (200b 11x4 0x6)
DM Bravo 85 (113b 9x4 3x6)

KS Williamson 1-0-2-0
JDS Neesham 8-0-46-0

« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 02:36:45 PM by socafighter »

1]; } ?>