April 24, 2024, 06:31:39 PM

Author Topic: Barbados joins the ranks of Developed Nations  (Read 5294 times)

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
Barbados joins the ranks of Developed Nations
« on: November 09, 2010, 05:20:52 PM »
ALyuh doh hate...appreciate.  ;D

The Daily Herald

NEW YORK--Without the riches of the United States, Canada or Britain, Barbados has joined the ranks of the world's "developed" nations, albeit only in terms of providing people with an excellent quality of life.

Often called the "Singapore of the Caribbean", Barbados, according to the United Nations, joins such countries as Israel, Hong Kong, Singapore, Slovenia, Cyprus, Malta, Lichtenstein, Bahrain, oil-rich Qatar, Andorra, San Marino, Brunei Darussalam, Monaco, United Arab Emirates and Estonia on the list of "developed" countries, based purely on the Human Developed Index (HDI).

The HDI, now in its 20th year, measures performances in health, education, income and other quality of life indices.

The classification was contained in the 2010 UN Human Development Index released worldwide a few days ago.

But that wasn't all about Barbados. With the exception of the Bahamas, it outspends all of its Caribbean neighbours when it comes to providing health care for each resident and it has one of the lowest murder rates in the Caribbean and Latin America.

Barbados was the only Caribbean and Latin American state to be labelled "developed". It's among 16 states which don't belong to the rich nations' club in Paris, the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), but which were placed in a grouping set aside for "developed non-OECD members".

Mexico, the lone Latin American and Caribbean country which belongs to the OECD, wasn't included in the ranks of the "developed" states but was placed among the 32 "developing" nations in the Western Hemisphere.

Barbados had previously articulated its desire to be classified as a developed country, but it didn't set an exact deadline for achieving that goal. Trinidad and Tobago says it wants to reach that level by 2020.

In the latest report, Barbados was listed among the nations worldwide with a "very high" level of human development. It was third on the list of members of the OAS that had attained that ranking.

The others were the United States, fourth, and Canada, eighth. Barbados was ranked 42nd. Narrowly missing the top classification was the Bahamas, which was 43rd.

All of Barbados' Caricom neighbours, including energy-rich Trinidad and Tobago, the Bahamas and Antigua and Barbuda, Jamaica, St Lucia, St Vincent, Suriname, Haiti, Guyana, Suriname and Grenada were listed as "developing" states.

So too were such emerging economic giants as India, Brazil, Chile, South Africa, Saudi Arabia, Russian Federation and China.

As the UN Development Programme's top administrator Helen Clark saw it, success wasn't simply about money.

"On one crucial point the evidence is compelling and clear: there is much that countries can do to improve the quality of people's lives even under adverse circumstances," she said.

"Many countries have made great gains in health and education despite only modest growth in income, while some countries with strong economic performance have failed to make similarly impressive progress in life expectancy."

In the vital area of health, the UN report puts Barbados' per capita expenditure on health care at US$1,265 in 2007, a figure that was only surpassed in the region by the Bahamas with US$1,987. Trinidad and Tobago had a per capita expenditure of US$1,178.

Barbados' per capita spending on health was at least three times greater than Jamaica's (US$357); about six times higher than Guyana's (US$197) and at least US$400 per person more than Chile, Kuwait, Mexico and Brazil.

Barbados invested more per capita in the provision of care for individuals than such rich countries as Saudi Arabia, Venezuela, Libya, Kuwait and Algeria. And its outlay was ten times greater than India's and about US$300 more than Poland. Tony Best, Daily Nation
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 05:27:47 PM by Touches »

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Barbados joins the ranks of Developed Nations
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 05:50:48 PM »
gotta love the rock!

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 06:12:26 PM »
hmmm
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 06:43:52 PM »
Ah cyar take all dem roundabouts  :devil:
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 06:45:43 PM »
Kudos to them... there are ample lessons to be learned from their example and TnT shouldn't presume to be so big as to not heed those lessons.

Ah cyar take all dem roundabouts  :devil:

Lol... I blame it on the Brits.  Ah guess since ah here in de US ah get used to "plazas" aka squares. outside of DC yuh eh go find too many 'circles'.  But lawd, Europe and the Caribbean is another story.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 06:47:35 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 07:57:11 PM »
Take dat Patrick....ooopss he not around here no mo'     :devil: ;D
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 08:28:36 PM »

but is he fault.
Youtube Channel

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 08:35:14 PM »

but is he fault.

Yep he taught development meant tall buildings. D fact dat d buildings were needed is irrelevant.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 08:37:09 PM »
take win Bim.

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 01:05:06 PM »
I spent a week in Barbados this year. Beautiful place. Beautiful beaches. Nice people. Bad food. Insufficient ATMs
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 01:25:37 PM »
I spent a week in Barbados this year. Beautiful place. Beautiful beaches. Nice people. Bad food. Insufficient ATMs
That is cleanest country I've visited in the Caribbean. The beaches look like they were edited in photoshop.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 01:53:34 PM »
That is cleanest country I've visited in the Caribbean. The beaches look like they were edited in photoshop.

:thumbsup:
Youtube Channel

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2010, 01:59:35 PM »
Went there when I was about 10 yrs old and I been meaning to make a return trip in mih adult life.  All this talk bout B'dos making feel to jump on a plane now, now.....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2010, 02:16:32 PM »
Used to date a Bajan (from hell) and visited the island. It's lovely...would love to return and explore some more without that ball and chain.  :devil:

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2010, 04:28:44 PM »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 05:24:23 PM »
Went there when I was about 10 yrs old and I been meaning to make a return trip in mih adult life.  All this talk bout B'dos making feel to jump on a plane now, now.....

Been 2 Grantley Adams Int many times but neva 2 Bdos.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2010, 06:27:20 PM »
Europeans still treated like gods there... and I wonder why some of them come to Trinidad to do their shopping?
Phenomenal, lovely atmosphere.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 07:31:35 PM »
Europeans still treated like gods there... and I wonder why some of them come to Trinidad to do their shopping?

I spent some time in B'dos. They don't treat Euros like Gods. They treat them with courtesy. They are just naturally courteous people. They do treat Trinis courteously despite all the crap we hear. If anything their economy depends heavily on tourism. Would you go to a place where people are rude towards you? They come to TT to shop, just like TT people go to NY, Miami, Toronto to shop. It is a lovely island, just like SVG, Grenada, Loosha and Tobago.

Offline Conquering Lion

• Tell me how can a man who doh know his roots form his own ideology?
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2010, 08:32:49 PM »

I spent some time in B'dos. They don't treat Euros like Gods. They treat them with courtesy. They are just naturally courteous people. They do treat Trinis courteously despite all the crap we hear. If anything their economy depends heavily on tourism. Would you go to a place where people are rude towards you? They come to TT to shop, just like TT people go to NY, Miami, Toronto to shop. It is a lovely island, just like SVG, Grenada, Loosha and Tobago.

I beg to differ somewhat. They do treat tourists like Gods, but that is likely because of their ultra-dependence on tourism. I have seen how Bdos customs and immigration treat European tourists compared to Caricom nationals (A "welcome to Baaarbados skippa" vs whey yuh staying and how much money yuh have?). Having said that, I must give credit where it is due.....their ranking among developed nations is likely due to their emphasis on education and overall progressive thinking. This must be applauded (and emulated in some ways).

Trinidad & Tobago is full of talent and opportunities for business and sustainable development.....................but sometimes "we does be wasting time"
We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2010, 09:27:30 PM »

I beg to differ somewhat. They do treat tourists like Gods, but that is likely because of their ultra-dependence on tourism. I have seen how Bdos customs and immigration treat European tourists compared to Caricom nationals (A "welcome to Baaarbados skippa" vs whey yuh staying and how much money yuh have?). Having said that, I must give credit where it is due.....their ranking among developed nations is likely due to their emphasis on education and overall progressive thinking. This must be applauded (and emulated in some ways).

Trinidad & Tobago is full of talent and opportunities for business and sustainable development.....................but sometimes "we does be wasting time"

I would not doubt you about the immigration welcome. But I have never gotten any flack from them and has always presented my Trini passport. They have asked me where I am staying in a polite manner. And have never asked about the amount of currency in meh pocket. But you know how immigrant stop. One they nice the next day they rough.

Sometimes I wish TT show the pride for their country(not to say they don't have it) the way Bajans do, but boy that is asking a bit too much. Sometimes just working down POS and seeing people just throw stuff in the street and vagrancy situation does make me think we are a hopeless case.  We just don't care attitude. We only talk brudder this and brudder that. We don't do nothing. I guess is the oil in we coil and the natural gas in we brain that have we so.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2010, 11:26:10 PM »
I juss like how some ah dem siddung behind ah counter in Piarco like tuh act as though they really in thing... wid dey minimum wage job.  Not belittling nobody, but doh be acting condescending like you in some kinda big wuk trying to pull rank on ah man juss b/c you wukking 'airport'.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2010, 05:06:14 AM »
I think i could clear up some of these misconceptions about bim since i've been going to bim for 20yrs. no doubt things has changed since the early 90ies, back then the ppl was far more polite and accommodating educated and well rounded, but as time progressed the country became more developed and efficient, but the ppl regressed especially the yutes.

if fellas like deeks and lion think these crop of ppl nice and welcoming, yuh should've seen the older heads, really nice cool and welcoming, only the women dem does carry ah permanent screw face and god alone knows why they so angry, but the fellas was as happy as pappy.

i don't think they treat white tourist as gods or bend over backwards to please them, but rather they enjoy entertaining them and are very good host, plus nuff of the men young and old want to bone the tourist women dem, so of course they will put on their best charm.

today , nuff of the young boys is serious clowns, who eh want to be bad man and gangster, sellin they self on the beach for a nice time. the bredders who around my age is serious gigaloes, and would jam ah chimpanzee in ah skirt, as long as it's from foreign.

i eh go lie this is the horniest most male chauvinistic society i've ever seen, all these bredders think about is sex, and to them ah woman only good for one thing and one thing only. the place also have some serious grouches, and they could be extremely rude, another thing about them is that they are not benevolent in the least, over there is one hand washes the other, there nothing for free BC it's a very stingy society.

there are positives to the place though. bajans are very proud of their country and are a patriotic ppl in the true sense of the word, the government workers don't lallygag and waste govt funds like civil servants in T&T. those ppl take professionalism to another level. the bredders who living ah constructive and productive life style are in the minority, but them is boss!! ah believe is them men who have bim running like ah well oiled machine. 

to me bim seems like it's heading in the same direction as T&T, and if they not careful................ the thing that will ruin the place is the growing wannabe gangster and beach bum culture. the bredders who gravitate to the beach bum life style, is synonymous with the fellas from behind the bridge who want ah easy way out and don't want to go through the route of education, they stay on the beach and hustle watersports/ jetski/ beach chairs/ windsurfing eqpt/ and ganja.

today, most of the yutes are rude and over baring, a far cry from what is used to be, it's like they want to emulate bad boy jamaicans ghetto culture since most yutes who came from lower income families are in love with the so called "dancehall image" and cherish gangsterism as ah badge of honor.

enough of the knuckleheads, as for the customs and immigration officers, i never had ah problem coming or going with or without a trini passport, as a matter of fact bim is one of the easiest airports for me to maneuver.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2010, 05:42:58 AM »
I guess is the oil in we coil and the natural gas in we brain that have we so.

Deeks boy, sometimes I does feel like de oil and gas was a curse more than a blessing......*sigh*
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Conquering Lion

• Tell me how can a man who doh know his roots form his own ideology?
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2010, 05:57:36 AM »
I think i could clear up some of these misconceptions about bim since i've been going to bim for 20yrs. no doubt things has changed since the early 90ies, back then the ppl was far more polite and accommodating educated and well rounded, but as time progressed the country became more developed and efficient, but the ppl regressed especially the yutes.

if fellas like deeks and lion think these crop of ppl nice and welcoming, yuh should've seen the older heads, really nice cool and welcoming, only the women dem does carry ah permanent screw face and god alone knows why they so angry, but the fellas was as happy as pappy.

i don't think they treat white tourist as gods or bend over backwards to please them, but rather they enjoy entertaining them and are very good host, plus nuff of the men young and old want to bone the tourist women dem, so of course they will put on their best charm.

today , nuff of the young boys is serious clowns, who eh want to be bad man and gangster, sellin they self on the beach for a nice time. the bredders who around my age is serious gigaloes, and would jam ah chimpanzee in ah skirt, as long as it's from foreign.

i eh go lie this is the horniest most male chauvinistic society i've ever seen, all these bredders think about is sex, and to them ah woman only good for one thing and one thing only. the place also have some serious grouches, and they could be extremely rude, another thing about them is that they are not benevolent in the least, over there is one hand washes the other, there nothing for free BC it's a very stingy society.

there are positives to the place though. bajans are very proud of their country and are a patriotic ppl in the true sense of the word, the government workers don't lallygag and waste govt funds like civil servants in T&T. those ppl take professionalism to another level. the bredders who living ah constructive and productive life style are in the minority, but them is boss!! ah believe is them men who have bim running like ah well oiled machine. 

to me bim seems like it's heading in the same direction as T&T, and if they not careful................ the thing that will ruin the place is the growing wannabe gangster and beach bum culture. the bredders who gravitate to the beach bum life style, is synonymous with the fellas from behind the bridge who want ah easy way out and don't want to go through the route of education, they stay on the beach and hustle watersports/ jetski/ beach chairs/ windsurfing eqpt/ and ganja.

today, most of the yutes are rude and over baring, a far cry from what is used to be, it's like they want to emulate bad boy jamaicans ghetto culture since most yutes who came from lower income families are in love with the so called "dancehall image" and cherish gangsterism as ah badge of honor.

enough of the knuckleheads, as for the customs and immigration officers, i never had ah problem coming or going with or without a trini passport, as a matter of fact bim is one of the easiest airports for me to maneuver.

A lot of what u said is right, and I have seen both sides of things (beach bum culture vs professional culture). That is why, despite what i have seen with regard to preferential treatment to tourists, I ended by talking about what I saw as positive (their focus on education and advancement).

What i did not tell u is that i lived there for quite a while as well....not just visit.
We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2010, 12:34:23 AM »

A+ commentary across the board. To hone in on the part in bold: that is the damning mystery unearthed right dey ... buffeted by a seemingly uncompromising judiciary in the conduct of criminal prosecutions ... coz as that rude bwoy element yuh mentioned puffs up, it's the weight of the law that is to be felt.

To extend that point, I had a very interesting convo wid a brodda I kick ball wid ... men was liming and reasoning and the convo turned to Bados and an area don he knows there ... without gehhin into it, there's an element of some of the same f**kery that caused Yard to explode recently in certain postal codes over one man and his deportation. There are lines of demarcation in working class neighborhoods ... lines that are essentially not on the mental register to what Bajans call folks with addresses in the "heights and terraces". It's an island where knowing yuh place stands one in good stead.

Barbados has been getting steady billing on the HDI every year for well over  a decade. What needs to be revised on the island is the import regime, the Port authority and the impact on prices. 

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2010, 04:08:37 AM »
where Bimblast?
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2016, 08:44:45 PM »
Saw someone skimming this thread and I thought I would revisit it.

Six years later the island is in a less optimistic position than that reported above. In fact, comparing its performance on the 2010 HDI to the HDI most recently available will show a notable change in circumstance.

In progress: poor stewardship and management of the public sector and a growing neglect/disregard of/for the working class.

Not impressed.

P.S. Practically everything is owned x Massy.  :)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 08:46:18 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2016, 10:43:41 PM »
Modernization theory failed in Africa, Mazrui had some impressive analysis of this, Barbados needs to be careful it doesn't fall victim to this, Trinidad could end up there with the politicians we have...

Offline TdotTrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2016, 11:14:16 AM »
Saw someone skimming this thread and I thought I would revisit it.

Six years later the island is in a less optimistic position than that reported above. In fact, comparing its performance on the 2010 HDI to the HDI most recently available will show a notable change in circumstance.

In progress: poor stewardship and management of the public sector and a growing neglect/disregard of/for the working class.

Not impressed.

P.S. Practically everything is owned x Massy.  :)

Barbados HDI value for 2014 is 0.785 a drop from 0.825. Still a high human development category, positioning it at 57 out of 188 countries and territories.

Why the downward trend?
Some of the HDI indicators such as:

Life expectancy drop from 77 to 75.5 years
Expected years of schooling 16.3 to 15.4
GNI per capita (2005 PPP$) 17,308 to 12,488

The data show a downward trend over the last 4 - 5 years. 

Teamwork divides the task and multiplies the success

1]; } ?>