April 24, 2024, 06:33:26 PM

Author Topic: T&T within reach of World Volleyball Championships  (Read 1089 times)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
T&T within reach of World Volleyball Championships
« on: July 20, 2014, 01:01:19 PM »
Surprised there is no thread in here for the tournament

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad (CMC) — Trinidad and Tobago's women crept to within one win of qualifying for the World Volleyball Championships when they brushed aside Costa Rica in straight sets in their third match of the NORCECA Women's Play-off Tournament here Friday night.

Playing at the Sports & Physical Education Centre of UWI St Augustine Campus, T&T rattled off their third straight win with a 25-22, 25-15, 25-21 verdict over the Central Americans, in just under one-and-half hours.

The victory kept them unbeaten following similar straight-sets triumphs over Panama and Nicaragua in the five-team qualifier. A win over Mexico, ranked just three places higher at 28th in the World, will see T&T qualify for the World Championships in Italy from September 23 to October 12.

"We are moving forward to Sunday (against Mexico) very confident," said T&T coach Nicholson Drakes.

"As I said before, I believe my team could win this tournament, but we need to be focused, we need concentrate more and believe more."

On Friday night, the hosts were carried by Krystle Esdelle, who finished with 15 points including 14 kills, while Channon Thompson hammered 13 points.

T&T dominated the game from the outset, outscoring the Costa Ricans in kills 37-22 and in blocks, 12-7.

"I think this was probably one of the better games we have played in a very long time as a team," captain Kelly-Ann Billingy pointed out.

Costa Rica coach Horacio Bastit was understandably disappointed.

"Unfortunately the objective that we had to qualify for the World Championship is gone. We have to keep our heads up and finish this tournament," he said.

In the other game played, Mexico beat Panama 25-13, 25-15, 25-20 to remain unbeaten.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport/T-T-within-reach-of-World-Volleyball-Championships_17199392

1]; } ?>