March 28, 2024, 05:50:09 PM

Author Topic: Jonathan Glenn Thread  (Read 29557 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jonathan Glenn Thread
« Reply #120 on: May 07, 2018, 11:08:33 AM »
WATCH: Jonathan Glenn scores the game-winning goal in Fylkir’s 2-1 win over KA. It’s his first of the season.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/XoyeiJBYmo4?start=2448" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/XoyeiJBYmo4?start=2448</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 07, 2018, 02:52:55 PM »
Allyuh think this guy should still be considered for national duty?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 07, 2018, 04:08:22 PM »

Unless he has a hell of a season, I would say no. I think the window to capitalize on his skill set has closed. Plus he will be 31 in August. We really need to find a prolific goalscorer at the international level. Either that, or look for our goals from attack-minded midfielders. I eh think we seeing another Stern John anytime soon.

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #123 on: May 08, 2018, 01:19:26 AM »
I'll tell you what though, when he played that friendly against Mexico he did look good, I remember he pressed hard on a Mexican defender slid in won the ball clean in THEIR box (a mistake Mexican aren't frequently forced into friendly or not) and set up I think it was Cummings for an easy tap in.

I think he should still be considered, but certainly he'll need to really turn it around. It's not a high level of football and their are other tnt strikers that are looking better. I would honestly like to see Guerra in a second striker role in the next set up, but alas, who knows.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 08, 2018, 12:59:25 PM »

Unless he has a hell of a season, I would say no. I think the window to capitalize on his skill set has closed. Plus he will be 31 in August. We really need to find a prolific goalscorer at the international level. Either that, or look for our goals from attack-minded midfielders. I eh think we seeing another Stern John anytime soon.

Agreed Tallman. We need about 3-4 dominant Forwards. Garcia might develop into that type. He can even get a lot of penalties with his speed and trickery. His brother, Judah, also got that skill.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 08, 2018, 04:30:19 PM »

Agreed Tallman. We need about 3-4 dominant Forwards. Garcia might develop into that type. He can even get a lot of penalties with his speed and trickery. His brother, Judah, also got that skill.

I eh too sure about Garcia as a striker. Wings, yes.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 08, 2018, 05:30:05 PM »
Maybe a call up could rejuvenate his career. I say he could at least be given a last chance.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 08, 2018, 05:31:45 PM »
Maybe a call up could rejuvenate his career. I say he could at least be given a last chance.

But he hadda earn dat last chance.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 08, 2018, 09:39:06 PM »

Actually, Hart gave him the call up, and he did fairly. Especially in the second Mexico game when we tied 3-3.  But then there was the move to the US league. Tampa and that did not work out and he went back Europe. Then DJW got elected and with all the bachanal, he got lost in the shuffle. I would like to see him get a call up again.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 09, 2018, 07:03:44 AM »

Actually, Hart gave him the call up, and he did fairly. Especially in the second Mexico game when we tied 3-3.  But then there was the move to the US league. Tampa and that did not work out and he went back Europe. Then DJW got elected and with all the bachanal, he got lost in the shuffle. I would like to see him get a call up again.

Actually, he went to Jacksonville Armada then North Carolina FC, where he scored a total of 2 goals in 22 appearances, one goal for each club. So as you can see, he dropped off badly. Keep in mind that the Mexico game was almost three years ago.

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 09, 2018, 07:13:49 AM »

Actually, he went to Jacksonville Armada then North Carolina FC, where he scored a total of 2 goals in 22 appearances, one goal for each club. So as you can see, he dropped off badly. Keep in mind that the Mexico game was almost three years ago.
I would like to see him get one last chance but yes he has to earn that chance. Didn't he have an injury as well? And he wasnt the same after that?
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 11, 2018, 05:57:26 PM »
WATCH: Jonathan Glenn’s brace is in vain in Fylkir FC’s 3-2 loss to Vikingur. The goals can be seen at 7m03s and 35m36s.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/6tZIbNcA0wQ?start=423" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/6tZIbNcA0wQ?start=423</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 12, 2020, 11:40:58 AM »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 22, 2021, 12:24:14 PM »
Former Trinidad and Tobago striker Jonathan Glenn has completed his UEFA Certificate in Football Management.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 22, 2021, 05:19:46 PM »
Former Trinidad and Tobago striker Jonathan Glenn has completed his UEFA Certificate in Football Management.

Congratulations. :applause:

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 22, 2021, 11:50:52 PM »
Congrats to Glenn.  :thumbsup:

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 22, 2021, 06:32:42 PM »
Former Trinidad and Tobago forward Jonathan Glenn has been appointed as Head Coach of the ÍBV Women's Football Team. ÍBV competes in the Úrvalsdeild kvenna which is the top tier of women's football in Iceland. T&T defender Liana Hinds is on the club's roster.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 22, 2021, 06:42:20 PM »
Dahis two players from SH's battalion who have assignments in football played by women. Who is to be/could be the next coaching candidate from that bunch?

P.S. Ah feel Jan might have the requisite temperament to coach a women's team.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 06:46:25 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 18, 2022, 12:28:37 PM »
Two years after hanging up his boots, Jonathan Glenn will lead the ÍBV women's team, making his debut as head coach in the Besta-deild kvenna, the top-tier women's football league in Iceland.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 19, 2022, 08:05:12 AM »
Two years after hanging up his boots, Jonathan Glenn will lead the ÍBV women's team, making his debut as head coach in the Besta-deild kvenna, the top-tier women's football league in Iceland.

Good luck and all the best to him

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 01, 2022, 09:50:46 AM »
Jonathan Glenn has been appointed as Head Coach of Keflavík's women's team. Keflavík play in the Besta deild kvenna, the top-tier women's football league in Iceland. Glenn was previously in charge of ÍBV.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 11, 2022, 07:26:39 PM »
Christmas is an amazing time in Trinidad and Tobago
By Jóhann Páll Kristbjörnsson (Víkurfréttir)

Christmas is an amazing time in Trinidad and Tobago says Jonathan Glenn, who recently took over the position of coach of the women's championship team at Keflavík, but last season he coached the women's championship team at ÍBV. Glenn, who is from Trinidad and Tobago, came to Iceland in 2014 when he joined the Pepsi League team ÍBV - it was Sigurður Ragnar Eyjólfsson who brought Glenn to Eyja, but Sigurður, who is the current coach of Keflavíkur's men's team, was with Eyjaliðið time

How come you, coming from Trinidad and Tobago, end up in Iceland of all places?

"It's kind of funny because after finishing school in Trinidad [High School], I got a scholarship to go to university in the United States, where I played football and finished my studies. After that, I had the opportunity to play professionally in the United States, where I played for two seasons," says Glenn when Víkurfrétir met him at the office of Keflavík's football department at Sunnubraut. "It's a bit funny, but Siggi Raggi was coaching ÍBV at the time and he was the one who signed me and got me here. I came to ÍBV in 2014 and stayed there for a season and a half, I switched to Breiðablik in the middle of the 2015 season and played with them for two years, but then I went back to the United States." Glenn returned to Iceland in 2018 and then joined Fylki but returned to Eyja a year later.

"I knew then that I would like to turn to training more than I had been training outside the United States. So, in parallel with my last years at ÍBV, I began to acquire UEFA coaching qualifications. It's been a fun journey, but it's very satisfying to have been able to coach from the junior categories up to the championship category, to get to know many interesting people and build relationships," says Jonathan, who is now married to an Icelandic woman, Þórhildi Ólafsdóttir , and together they have one daughter.

"We met when I came here in 2014," recalls Jonathan. "She was a player on the ÍBV women's team and we started talking, went on a date, and then we got married in the United States in 2017. Now we have a beautiful, three-year-old daughter, Amelia Grace."

Þórhildur played with ÍBV last season, so it is not out of the question to ask if she will remain in football.

"She's thinking about it, it's not certain." She played well last summer and enjoyed it, she is not sure if she will continue. It's a bit difficult to have a small child when we are both on the same schedule, away from her all the time. It was easier out in the Islands, where Þórhilda's parents could run around with us. Now we're moving to a new place, she's starting a new kindergarten, and we're thinking about it."

I ask Jonathan if he envisions himself coming to Iceland. Or where are you heading as a coach?

"When you choose to make football your career, you never know where it will take you. Þórhildur and I make our plans, but they are flexible, now we want to enjoy what we have and focus on that - get to know fun and interesting people and continue the football journey."

Trinidad and Tobago was the smallest nation to qualify for the World Cup ... until Iceland beat them to it
Jonathan comes from Trinidad and Tobago, which are islands in the Caribbean Sea, located just off the coast of Venezuela in South America, with about 1.4 million inhabitants. "Most people live on the island of Trinidad, but Tobago, which is a smaller island, can be said to be more of a tourist destination," says Glenn.

Football is a popular sport in Trinidad and many strong players come from there. Football player Dwight Yorke is probably the most famous of them, but he made the park famous with teams such as Manchester United, Aston Villa and Blackburn Rovers.

"Dwight Yorke is a real 'legend,'" says Glenn with a twinkle in his eye. "The school league [High School League] is very strong and it is more popular than the top league, many players from it go on a contract to the United States to study."

Trinidad and Tobago competed in the 2006 World Cup and was then the smallest nation to reach the finals, Iceland took that record from them four years ago.

"After qualifying for the World Cup, I expected football in Trinidad to go up, but it actually went the other way. I think we could have used that opportunity better but I love my country, it's so beautiful – awesome.”

Happy with what he has in hand
Jonathan took over the women's championship team at Keflavík just over a month ago and has only managed to form an opinion on the team. He has already got two players who played with ÍBV last season, Madison Wolfbauer and Latvian international Sandra Voitane.

How do you see the next season?

"I've been with the team for the last three, four weeks and I'm so happy with what I've seen. How they have reacted. I think the atmosphere and attitude of the team is very good, they are willing to put in a lot of effort and want to improve. It makes me very happy and I want to put together a team that Keflvíking can be proud of, a team where all players are ready to give 100% in every game.

For the next season, we will therefore look carefully at how the players fit into the squad and be careful with the selection - I am very happy with the squad I have in hand and only good players who will add to the quality of the squad will be considered," says the coach .

Do you think you will get more players for next season?

"I think we need to be very disciplined and be careful in selecting players, especially given that we don't have the same budget as the big clubs in the league. We need to be nice about the players. We also need to be sensible in how we train, how the players' diet is done and take good care of our bodies. We have to get the best out of each individual, especially given that we probably won't have the widest group. Of course we have to add some players but all these things are important to get the best out of what we have. So we will be competitive in a very strong league next year."

Trinidad and Tobago, a melting pot of different cultures
Jonathan says that society in Trinidad and Tobago is very mixed. This is a very multicultural society, but the vast majority of the inhabitants of the islands are of African or East Indian origin, then Chinese and European origins are also mixed into the mix, and of course indigenous people.

How is Christmas celebrated in Trinidad and Tobago?

"It's such a multinational place, a real melting pot of different cultures," he says. "If we look back a little in history, to the time of slavery, most of the people came from Africa and the East Indies. Each group about forty percent, then there were also Chinese, whites and natives of the islands. So we in Trinidad celebrate everything – everyone celebrates all festivals, whether Hindu, Muslim or Christian.

It is quite unique, but people of these different religions live together in harmony. It respects each other and rejoices together. It was unique to grow up in this place and I think it made it easier for me to adapt to life in other places, like in the United States and here in Iceland. I've traveled to many places with football and my upbringing allows me to appreciate different experiences and cultures - I love getting to know other people's cultures."

Jonathan says that Christmas is an amazing time in Trinidad and Tobago. They are a time of music and parties and are very festive.

"They are different from what is known in this country," he says. "First of all, we celebrate Christmas on Christmas Day and open packages on Christmas morning. On Christmas Eve and well into Christmas Eve, small bands go from house to house and play for people. These musicians need to be welcomed and given food and drink. Then they play and sing for twenty minutes, half an hour before they head next door. They start at midnight and can stay until six or seven in the morning on Christmas Day," says Jonathan with a smile. "So when you wake up in the morning, some stranger may just be sleeping drunken death in your garden." Now Jonathan rolled over with laughter. "It's disgustingly funny."

Jonathan says that these musicians perform Spanish songs and it is a legacy from the time when the Spanish were colonizers in these parts. "This is the only time of the year that Spanish songs are sung in Trinidad."

But here in Iceland, do you celebrate Christmas like every other Icelander?

"Yes, we keep to Icelandic traditions and open packages on Christmas Eve. We eat traditional Icelandic Christmas food."

How do you know Icelandic food?

"I love Icelandic Christmas food, I'm lucky that my wife and her mother are great cooks. Everything they cook; whether it's turkey, roast beef or whatever, I like it," concludes Jonathan Glenn.

1]; } ?>