March 28, 2024, 07:53:20 AM

Author Topic: Jonathan Glenn Thread  (Read 29551 times)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jonathan Glenn
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2014, 06:30:56 PM »
Sweet goal... I'm much more impressed by how polished he is in front the camera though, and not only that, he's very astute with the things he says.  For instance, in the interview he talks about interest from other teams elsewhere, and I thought he straddled that line perfectly, acknowledging the interest, being honest about his reaction to it, but also being extremely respectful to his present club.  Not everybody know how to navigate that often tricky situation.  But all of that aside, yes... he's shown he has a nose for goal and at the end of the day knowing how to score goals is a skill that won't go unnoticed, no matter what level.

He is indeed articulate in front the camera by Trini standards. At least for me.  And you are correct about his ability to score goals. And I hope he would not go unnoticed by coach Hart.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2014, 06:58:27 PM »
Breds, that eh happening. But seriously, Glenn should get a try out. My only worry is his availability. Clash of country and club issues.

Actually, he available right now because de season finish over de weekend and doh start back until May.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2014, 07:05:15 PM »
Breds, that eh happening. But seriously, Glenn should get a try out. My only worry is his availability. Clash of country and club issues.

Actually, he available right now because de season finish over de weekend and doh start back until May.

Oops, I accidentally removed my comment. Well, It would be nice to have him in the line up. But the coach already picked the team. So maybe next time around, if this team advance to the GC.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 07:06:59 PM by Deeks »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2014, 07:20:49 PM »

Oops, I accidentally removed my comment. Well, It would be nice to have him in the line up. But the coach already picked the team. So maybe next time around, if this team advance to the GC.

This is only the second round of the Caribbean Cup. The final round is in November in Jamaica, so maybe he could get a look then. If not, he go hadda wait to see if we manage to play any friendlies.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2014, 07:47:42 AM »
Wish he was part of this squad .... hopefully we can take him to the Caribbean Cup.

Your wish has been granted. Let's see if he can operate at this level.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2014, 08:17:45 AM »
This Glenn fella should have already played for TT,a player of that calibre should have repped us at least 10 times,does anyone pay any interest of our players abroad,or don't they bloody care.Give credit to Mr.Hart for bringing in Glenn,who say 27 is old,if we have better than him then you can call him old,only if who you got is younger.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2014, 10:23:52 AM »
When I saw the picture,I could not believe...It is exactly like my younger brother in football gear,same hair style,same facial features,i think there is a word to describe it when 2 people look exactly the same,can't remember it though.

horn chile?
Very educated response mate. ;D

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2014, 12:00:13 PM »
i think there is a word to describe it when 2 people look exactly the same,can't remember it though.

I maybe wrong. I think the term is six degrees of separation??

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2014, 12:04:53 PM »
does anyone pay any interest of our players abroad,or don't they bloody care.

Breds, this forum care so much, that coach Hart end up picking him. The mods and them post all  his goals, so the coach could not ignore it. THE POWER OF THE SOCA WARRIORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D. But honestly, I think coach and the TTFA had him and many others on the radar.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2014, 12:21:30 PM »
But honestly, I think coach and the TTFA had him and many others on the radar.

I can't say for sure, but I doubt it. Maybe Glenn or his agent could have contacted the TTFA himself and sent his videos, who knows? Stephen Hart definitely pays attention to what's out there, but until we posted the news that he got a contract in Iceland, nobody said a word about him. And since then, we have been the only ones publicly sharing his exploits. This is a fella we have been reporting on since he was 20 and was scoring a setta goals for St. Leo University.

Our scouting (local & foreign) needs to be vastly improved.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2014, 01:58:19 PM »
I know personally Glenn's performance caught SH eye as he pays close attention to our players based in foreign, Hart made contact with Glenn's coach first.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2014, 02:23:17 PM »
I know personally Glenn's performance caught SH eye as he pays close attention to our players based in foreign, Hart made contact with Glenn's coach first.

SH does his homework and he's ah ball ho, so dat is no surprise.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2014, 06:15:09 PM »
i think there is a word to describe it when 2 people look exactly the same,can't remember it though.

I have just googled that statement,"six degrees of seperation",looks like some heavy reading,you learn something everyday.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2014, 07:14:59 PM »

I have just googled that statement,"six degrees of seperation",looks like some heavy reading,you learn something everyday.

And there was a movie called by the same name with Will Smit, Donald Sutherland, Stockard Channing(I think). I thought Will Smith was pretty good in that. You must check it out.

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2014, 01:55:20 AM »
27 or not. DAT is striker. Control, pace, confidence on the ball, vision, determination, i mean, check how many times in that highlight video he takes a ball down under serious pressure or the headed goal he scores while the keeper put a hard cuff in he face. Not to mention that bicycle kick. I don't think all the good I saw in those videos are a fluke. Sure it's not the highest level of football, but i'm still impressed. We have a couple decent prospects in the striking/attacking winger role, but this man looks as exciting a prospect to me as say Peltier, if not more exciting. Let's see if he comes good.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2014, 07:35:34 AM »
Nice. Vibes it up Jefferz.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2014, 09:28:17 PM »
The curious case of Jonathan Glenn - A lesson in talent development
By Siggi Eyjolfsson (linkedin.com)

As head coach of IBV in the men´s top league in Iceland this season I decided to sign a striker from Trinidad and Tobago in February this year. His name was Jonathan Glenn, he was 26 years old and had been playing in the lower leagues (PDL and NPSL who are considered 4th tier ) in USA and before that he played for a Division II college in Florida called St. Leo University.

Originally I saw a video of Jonathan that impressed me and invited him in for trial. He played in 2 matches for us and was a bit out of shape. What impressed me about him was that he was very strong physically, very fast and excellent with his back to goal. He had confidence and a good attitude. He could also take players on. So I signed him. I could help him work on his fitness, that is the easy part to fix. He also needed to simplify his game, work on intelligent runs when he did not have the ball and to become a better finisher.

The paperwork took about 2 months to clear so when Jonathan finally arrived in Iceland he was really out of shape but had willingness to work hard and did extra after training. 3 weeks before the season started he pulled his hamstring so we could not push him hard in training. Jonathan started in our first match of the season. Jonathan struggled.

Jonathan had played in several pre-season matches without scoring and in fact he only scored 1 goal in his first 12 matches for IBV. During that spell pretty much everyone came to me and told me to send the player home. Jonathan was slaughtered by the TV pundits, the fans, even by some of the players and members of the board. I was under pressure because our team was not doing well.

But I kept on playing him because I believed in him.

Jonathan scored 15 goals in his next 20 matches for IBV. He scored 43% of all goals IBV scored in the league this season and came 2nd leading goal scorer in the league. He got player of the year for IBV, became leading goalscorer at IBV and was selected into the Team of the year in the top league after the season. Jonathan also scored Best goal of the year in the Pepsi league.

Today Jonathan Glenn was selected into the A-national team of Trinidad and Tobago for the first time. What´s next?

There is a lesson here in talent identification and also in talent development. I am sure you can figure them out and comment below.

Here is the original video I received of Jonathan. Have a look and see if you can spot a player who in 9 months became an A-national team player for his country and became one of the best players in the top league in Iceland within months. Would you have signed him and why?

Here is then another video of Jonathan so you can see how he did in our league.

I will leave you here with the icing on the cake, the goal of the year in the Pepsi league, one of the best ones I have seen.

It is likely that you will see Jonathan playing in the MLS this season or in one of the top leagues in Scandinavia.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2014, 09:56:51 PM »
That goal was spectacular, absolutely marvelous  :beermug:
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 09:58:45 PM by soccerman »

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2014, 11:46:37 PM »
I will not say anyting bad about de quality of the players, de league, de men who this man playin against...

de main ting de yuteman enjoyin himself!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2014, 03:14:50 AM »
The paperwork took about 2 months to clear so when Jonathan finally arrived in Iceland he was really out of shape but had willingness to work hard and did extra after training. 3 weeks before the season started he pulled his hamstring so we could not push him hard in training. Jonathan started in our first match of the season. Jonathan struggled.

What was he doing within those 2 months to address his fitness? Or was this a matter of not anticipating or recognizing the level of fitness required?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 07:14:35 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2014, 04:06:43 AM »
 :beermug: on that Goal of the Year.

Would like to see him use his left foot more ... as an alternative, particularly in certain attacking zones. You can see his strengths and where he can continue to improve and be improved. Wish him the best in 2015.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2015, 05:32:03 AM »
WATCH Jonathan Glenn score a hat-trick in ÍBV’s 5-0 win over BÍ/Bolungarvík in the Icelandic League Cup.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/N25CHUJgYAA?start=40" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/N25CHUJgYAA?start=40</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2015, 07:48:47 AM »
WATCH Jonathan Glenn score his first goal of the season in ÍB Vestmannaeyjar’s 3-2 win over Víkingur Reykjavík

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/aTbdoVZ-8yM?start=19" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/aTbdoVZ-8yM?start=19</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2015, 07:08:14 AM »
Iceland-based striker, Jonathan Glenn, has been loaned to Breiðablik UBK for the remainder of the season
http://www.ruv.is/frett/jonathan-glenn-lanadur-til-breidabliks

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2015, 07:41:13 AM »
Interesting development. A loan to a club higher in the standings and to a club he netted against recently.

(Tallest see if yuh locate that goal, from a month ago).

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2015, 09:03:04 AM »
Seeker I think that is a reflection as to how the higher positioned team views his talents.  If he go there and get on then either they try and make it permanent or a potentially bigger club comes knocking.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2015, 01:17:01 PM »
Good luck. Don't give up on TT football. We will need you. Just concentrate scoring goal and staying fit. So when Mr. Hart call you number, just be ready for the road.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2015, 09:30:13 PM »
After registering a hat-trick against ÍA Akranes, Jonathan Glenn is now the leading goalscorer in the Icelandic Premier League
http://www.mbl.is/sport/efstadeild/2015/08/17/glenn_ordinn_markahaestur/

Post-game interview
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/I5OQQOYjMhU?start=261" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/I5OQQOYjMhU?start=261</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2015, 05:23:57 AM »

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2015, 05:57:44 AM »
Nice job JG!

1]; } ?>