March 29, 2024, 06:27:00 AM

Author Topic: Shiv Chanderpaul to represent St Kitts & Nevis vs Bangladesh  (Read 1366 times)

socafighter

For Immediate Release

Friday, August 29, 2014

Chanderpaul to represent St Kitts & Nevis vs Bangladesh

BASSETERRE, St Kitts –The St Kitts & Nevis Cricket Association today named the 13-man squad to play the upcoming three-day match against Bangladesh. The match will be played at Warner Park from Saturday August 30 to Monday, September 1. Play starts daily at 10 am (9am Jamaica Time).

The squad will be led by allrounder Jacques Taylor.

The squad also includes Shiv Chanderpaul, who is a guest player. The 40-year-old is the most capped West Indian in Test matches. He has played 156 Test matches since his debut 20 years ago. He has scored 11,414 runs, at an average of 51.88 per innings, including 29 centuries.

Also included is fast bowler Quinton Boatswain. The 23-year-old – from Montserrat – is a recent graduate of the Sagicor West Indies High Performance Centre and has played four first-class matches for the Leeward Islands.

SQUAD

Jacques Taylor (captain)

Elvin Berridge

Shino Berridge

Quinton Boatswain

Shiv Chanderpaul

Jaeel Clarke (wicket-keeper)

Tristan Handley

Javal Hodge

Shane Jeffers

Jeremiah Lewis

Shaquille Martina

Terrence Ward

Tonito Willett

Percy Daniel (Coach)

Major Leroy Percival (Manager)

socafighter

Re: Shiv Chanderpaul to represent St Kitts & Nevis vs Bangladesh
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 05:47:08 PM »

Watch live here ...http://www.windiescricket.com/news/watch-live-st-kitts-v-bangladeshis

angladesh won the toss and elected to bat first against St Kitts & Nevis in the 3-Day warm-up match being played at Warner Park.

Both teams are allowed 13 players each on their respective teams, however, only 11 can bat and field.
Summarised scores: Bangladesh 330-6 (Mushfiqur Rahim 82 not out, Nasir Hossain 78 not out; Quinton Boatswain 2-35, Jeremiah Louis 2-36)

socafighter

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 04:51:11 AM »
Chanderpaul to focus on helping youngsters
Story Created: Aug 30, 2014 at 11:45 PM ECT
EXpress

Veteran West Indies left-hander Shiv Chanderpaul says one of his main career goals now is to use his vast experience to help develop the new generation of batsmen.
Chanderpaul, who turned 40 two weeks ago, is in the twilight of an illustrious career that has seen him accumulate 11,414 runs from a record 156 Tests. He believes his two decades in international cricket have equipped him to be a mentor to younger players.

“There are some goals I want to achieve and hopefully I can get there. But I want to help the young guys in the team and wherever I go I want to help as much as I can,” Chanderpaul said.
“There are a lot of young fellas out there who, when they are batting, they make a lot of mistakes and you try to help as much as you can. You have so many experiences over the years – you experience a lot just playing – so it is easier for me to pick up things but the younger fellas are not going to realise what they are doing wrong sometimes.

“So you try to help as much as you can in pointing out their mistakes … but pointing out is not all because you have to help them to correct their mistakes. These are some of the things I’m hoping to do for the younger fellas.”

Chanderpaul lies second on the West Indies list of all-time Test run-scorers, and will be looking to add to his tally when he lines up against Bangladesh in the first Test of the two-match series at Arnos Vale in St Vincent starting next Friday.
He will turn out for St Kitts in the three-day tour match against Bangladesh which started yesterday, as he vies for batting practice ahead of the upcoming series. He has not played competitive cricket now for almost a month, since ending his stint with Derbyshire in the English County Championship.

“It’s always good to be with a bunch of young fellows playing and I’m hoping I can help them a bit,” he said.
“I left England since the end of July and I’ve been in Guyana so I’ve been looking forward to getting some practice. Hopefully I can get enough batting in this game and that it helps in the Test series.”

Chanderpaul likes the fact West Indies swept the preceding three-match one-day series, pointing out it augured well for players’ confidence.
“It’s always good to have the momentum going into the Test series. It’s a new format but hopefully the guys come up and do as well,” he said.
“The batters have been getting some runs and hopefully they can carry on and do as well as they have been doing in the one-day series.”
Despite his age, Chanderpaul’s powers are yet to decline. He has averaged 55 over the last year which has helped to keep his career average at 51.

The last time he faced Bangladesh in a Test series two years ago, he hit an unbeaten double hundred in the first Test in Dhaka and an unbeaten hundred in the second Test at Khulna.
With the first Test just a week away and the second Test in St Lucia just days after, Chanderpaul said he would prepare the same way he always has done.

“No one knows what’s going to happen in their lives but I’m still doing the same things I have always been doing. I did it just a couple days ago – train as hard as I can the same way and preparing the same way,” he said.
“I have not played a lot at either venue so I don’t know what to expect. I just have to go and get accustomed to the wickets especially here in the Caribbean because I’ve been playing in England where the ball bounces a bit more, whereas the wickets in the Caribbean the ball stays a bit lower.”

socafighter

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 04:54:35 AM »

I must admit I am not a fan of Chanderpaul ...his poke and block style of batting
quickly puts me to sleep.

If he wants to help the youngsters , retire, get a coaching certificate and groom them.
How many has he mentored over the last 5 years ...he is still selfish Paul ..personal goals.

Its impossible as a player to do so...Give them your spot on the team...Playing will help,
not carrying water and gloves ..etc
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 05:07:07 AM by socafighter »

socafighter

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 04:56:58 AM »
Mushfiqur, Hossain steady Bangladesh
Story Created: Aug 30, 2014 at 11:44 PM ECT
Express

An unbroken 144-run, seventh wicket stand between captain Mushfiqur Rahim and Nasir Hossain, rescued Bangladesh on the opening day of their three-day tour match against St Kitts and Nevis here yesterday.

Opting to bat first, the visitors slumped to 92 for four and the 186 for six at tea before Mushfiqur and Nasir rallied the innings with positive unbeaten half-centuries in the final session at Warner Park.
Mushfiqur struck 81 off 126 balls in just over three hours at the crease with five fours and three sixes while Nasir faced 122 balls in 2-1/2 hours batting, while counting six fours and two sixes.

Shuvagata Hom chipped in with 48 while Imrul Kayes scored 44 and Mahmudullah, 27.
Seamers Quinton Boatswain (two for 35) and Jeremiah Louis (two for 36) were the pick of the bowlers with two wickets apiece.
Winning the toss and batting with the first Test starting next Saturday in mind, Bangladesh were rocked by some hostile fast bowling from Boatswain and Louis, as they lost early wickets.

The 23-year-old Boatswain, a West Indies High Performance Centre graduate who has played four first class matches for Leeward Islands, produced four sharp, aggressive spells to trouble the opposing batsmen.
He knocked over Shamsur Rahman for ten, having him brilliantly caught left-handed down the leg-side by teenaged wicketkeeper Jaeel Clarke.

Boatswain’s second scalp was Imrul Kayes caught at midwicket off the leading edge, after the left-hander with 17 Tests behind his name had struck four fours in a 60-ball innings.
Louis, tall, bustling with a jerky action, also got the ball to lift awkwardly on the flat surface, and accounted for dangerman Tamim Iqbal caught behind for 20 and Monimul Haque, who edged an out-swinger to third slip for ten.

Languishing at 92 for four, Mahmudullah and Shuvagata then added 46 before Shuvagata and Mushfiqur added exactly 50, to begin the rally.

SCOREBOARD
St Kitts & Nevis vs Bangladesh

BANGLADESH 1st Inns
T Iqbal c wkpr Clarke b Louis   20
S Rahman c wkpr Clarke b Boatswain   10
I Kayes c Berridge b Boatswain   44
M Haque c Ward b Louis   10
Mahmudullah c Ward b Berridge   27
S Hom run out   48
M Rahim not out   82
N Hossain not out   78
Extras: (LB5, W3, NB3)   11
TOTAL: (for six wickets, 95 overs)   330

Bowling: Sheeno Berridge 9-0-46-0, Boatswain 17-7-35-2, Willett 12-5-28-0, Louis 17-7-36-2, Elvin Berridge 15-3-56-1, Ward 9-0-53-1, Martinez 3-0-17-0, Taylor 6-1-23-0, Jeffers 7-1-32-0.

ST KITTS & NEVIS: Jacques Taylor (Captain), Elvin Berridge, Shino Berridge, Quinton Boatswain, Shiv Chanderpaul, Jaeel Clarke (wicket-keeper), Tristan Handley, Javal Hodge, Shane Jeffers, Jeremiah Lewis, Shaquille Martina, Terrence Ward, Tonito Willett.

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 05:05:16 AM »

[/quote]

I must admit I am not a fan of Chanderpaul ...his poke and block style of batting
quickly puts me to sleep.

If he wants to help the youngsters , retire, get a coaching certificate and groom them.
How many has he mentored over the last 5 years ...he is still selfish Paul ..personal goals.

Its impossible as a player to do so...Give them your spot on the team...Playing will help,
not carrying water and gloves ..etc

Even though Chanderpaul's batting style may be boring it is exactly the kind of batting the West Indies need right now in test cricket.  Innings after innings I watch our current batsmen throw away their wicket playing stupid shots.  The one batsman that seems to value his wicket is the youth Braithwaite from Barbados.  His batting style is boring too but with the current state of our batting is the final score that matters not batting for show.

socafighter

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 07:45:53 AM »
Chanders’, Jeffers punish Bangladesh
Story Created: Aug 31, 2014 at 11:57 PM ECT
Express
 \\\\\ BASSETERRE

A blazing century from Shane Jeffers and a typically resolute unbeaten half-century for St Kitts and Nevis were the highlights on Day two of the three-day warm-up match, yesterday.
Jeffers led an onslaught of the visitors bowling with 118 off just 131 balls with 22 boundaries as the home side closed the second day on 232-4 in reply to 377-7 declared. Chanderpaul, a guest player for this match, ended on an unbeaten 70 and will resume today looking for a century. With him is allrounder Jeremiah Louis on one not out.

Chanderpaul and Jeffers came together in the middle session and added 51 for the third wicket. After Jeffers fell --caught at short backward square, Tonito Willet joined Chanderpaul and they added 65 for the fourth wicket on a good batting surface. Willet made 21 but fell to a sharp catch at short leg, just when he looked set to puch on the score.

Earlier in the day Bangladesh declared at 377-7. The innings was boosted by a seventh-wicket stand of 191 between skipper Mushfiqur Rahim (106 not out) and allrounder Nasir Hossain (100).

SCOREBOARD
St Kitts & Nevis vs Bangladesh

Bangladesh 1st Inns (O/N 330-6)
T Iqbal c wkpr Clarke b Louis   20
S Rahman c wkpr Clarke b Boatswain   10
I Kayes c Berridge b Boatswain   44
M Haque c Ward b Louis   10
Mahmudullah c Ward b Berridge   27
S Hom run out   48
M Rahim not out   106
N Hossain b Willett   100
Extras: LB5, W4, NB3)   12
TOTAL: (for six wickets dec., 95 overs)   377

Bowling: Sheeno Berridge 11-0-55-0, Boatswain 22-9-47-2, Willett 12-5-34-0, Louis 17-7-56-2, Elvin Berridge 15-3-56-1, Ward 9-0-52-1, Martinez 3-0-17-0, Taylor 6-1-23-0, Jeffers 7-1-32-0.

St Kitts & Nevis 1st Inns
S Martina c wkpr Rahim b R.Hossain   9
S Jeffers c Mahmudullah b Hom   118
J Hodge c Haque b Islam   7
S Chanderpaul not out   70
T Willett c Mominul Haque b Mahmudullah   21
J Louis not out   1
Extras: (LB1, W2, NB3)   6
TOTAL: (for four wickets, 73 overs)   232

Bowling: Robiul Islam 7-2-33-0, Shafiul Islam 11-4-26-0, Hossain 16-1-76-1, Mahmudullah 17-6-32-1, Taijul Islam 15-5-46-1, Hom 7-2-18-0.

Position: St Kitts and Nevis trail by 151 runs with six wickets standing.
Umpires: Nigel Duguid, Peter Nero.

socafighter

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 07:54:23 PM »
Summarised Scores:

Bangladesh 377-6 (Mushfiqur Rahim 106 not out, Nasir Hossain 100; Quinton Boatswain 2-47, Jeremiah Louis 2-57) and 148-2.

St Kitts & Nevis 399 (Shiv Chanderpaul 183, Shane Jeffers 118; Shuvagata Hom 3-48, Rubel Hossain 3-90)

socafighter

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 07:55:01 PM »

Game resulted in a draw....

socafighter

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 10:59:41 PM »
Warm-up ends in predictable draw
Story Created: Sep 1, 2014 at 8:47 PM ECT
Express

Veteran West Indies batsman Shivnarine Chanderpaul warmed up for the upcoming Test series against Bangladesh, starting Friday, with a marathon knock of 183 for St Kitts and Nevis against the Bangladeshis in a three-day match which ended in a draw yesterday at Warner Park, in St Kitts.
Chanderpaul, who turned 40 last month, batted for close to seven hours between Sunday and yesterday to help St Kitts & Nevis take a first innings lead.
Continuing from an overnight position of 232 for four, Chanderpaul, who was on 70 not out off 152 balls (195 minutes) overnight, before the final day, led the hosts to 399 all out in reply to Bangladesh’s 377 for seven declared.
The Guyanese left-hander struck 20 fours and two sixes before he was caught by Shuvagata Hom off the bowling of Rubel Hossain after facing 315 balls and spending 412 minutes in the middle. Bangladesh reached 148 for four after 36 overs in their second innings when the game ended. The first Dhaka Bank Test between the West Indies and Bangladesh bowls off at Arnos Vale Multiplex, St. Vincent on Friday.

WARNER PARK SCOREBOARD
BANGLADESH vs ST KITTS & NEVIS

BANGLADESH 1ST Innings 377-7 decl.

ST KITTS & NEVIS 1ST Innings (O/n 232-4)
S Martina c wkp Mushfiqur Rahim b Rubel Hossain   9
S Jeffers c Mahmudullah b Shuvagata Hom   118
J Hodge c Mominul Haque b Taijul Islam   7
S Chanderpaul c Shuvagata Hom b Rubel Hossain   183
T Willett c Mominul Haque b Mahmudullah   21
J Louis lbw b Taijul Islam   35
J Clarke lbw b Taijul Islam   0
J Taylor b Shuvagata Hom   0
E Berridge c wkp Anamul Haque b Shuvagata Hom   1
S Berridge b Rubel Hossain   15
Q Boatswain not out   2
Extras: (b2, w2, nb4)   8
TOTAL: (all out, 127 overs)   399
Fall of wickets: 1-77, 2-110, 3-161, 4-226, 5-320, 6-328, 7-349, 8-355, 9-390, 10-399.
Bowling: Robiul Islam 12-3-51-0, Shafiul Islam 15-5-38-0, Rubel Hossain 25-3-90-3, Mahmudullah 19-6-34-1, Taijul Islam 31-8-109-3, Shuvagata Hom 17-4-48-3, Nasir Hossain 3-0-8-0, Mominul Haque 1-0-1-0, Shamsur Rahman 1-0-5-0, Imrul Kayes 3-0-13-0.

BANGLADESH 2ND Innings
T Iqbal ret. out   43
S Rahman ret. out   46
I Kayes c E Berridge b Martina   9
Mahmudullah not out   24
A Haque lbw b E Berridge   15
S Hom not out   1
Extras: (b9, nb1)   10
TOTAL: (2 wkts, 36 overs)   148
Fall of wickets: 1-94, 2-97, 3-103, 4-133.
Bowling: E Berridge 13-3-48-1, Tonito Willett 4-2-15-0, Martina 10-0-45-1, Jeffers 2-0-13-0, Taylor 7-1-18-0.

Result: Match drawn.
Umpires: Nigel Duguid, Peter Nero.

1]; } ?>