March 28, 2024, 04:27:55 AM

Author Topic: Jon Drummond banned for 8 years.  (Read 3171 times)

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
Jon Drummond banned for 8 years.
« on: December 17, 2014, 03:48:33 PM »
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/track-coach-jon-drummond-year-doping-suspension-27673607

Track Coach Drummond Gets 8-Year Doping Suspension
DENVER — Dec 17, 2014, 8:11 PM ET
By EDDIE PELLS AP National Writer  (T&T Newsday)

Over an angst-filled summer of 2012, track coach Jon Drummond and his ailing star sprinter, Tyson Gay, wrestled with whether Gay should use a mysterious medicine that might help him run pain-free at the London Olympics.

Eventually, Gay used it and got caught ? but it was Drummond who took the biggest fall.

The former track star and longtime coach got hit with an eight-year doping ban Wednesday after arbitrators found a series of discussions concluded with Drummond convincing Gay to take the banned substance, and carrying it to Europe for him.

In addition to coaching Gay, Drummond, 46, also served as relay coach for the U.S. track team at the London Olympics and as chairman of the athletes' advisory committee for USA Track and Field.

"Coaches have an inherent responsibility to protect athletes ? not take advantage of them ? but to ensure that they receive the support, training and advice they need to win fairly and in accordance with the rules," said Travis Tygart, CEO of the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, which announced the suspension.

Gay received a one-year ban last year for testing positive for a steroid precursor DHEA ? a penalty that was reduced by a year because he provided information that led to USADA's case against Drummond.

The Associated Press sent an email and text to Drummond seeking comment.

A 23-page summary of the case details the trip Drummond and Gay took to Atlanta to meet Dr. Clayton Gibson in June 2012, shortly after Gay competed in the 100-meter Olympic trials and complained he could not run pain-free. Gay had surgery on his ailing right hip the year before.

"He wanted to run pain-free. And we were just talking and I said, 'Well, the only thing we've got left is Dr. Gibson,'" Drummond is quoted as telling investigators.

At Gibson's office, Drummond and Gay were shown creams, the labels on which said  "Testosterone/DHEA," ''HGH" and "Progesterone Cream," according to the testimony. Gibson assured Drummond and Gay that, despite the labeling, the creams were all natural and there was no way they could test positive using them.

In preparation to travel to Europe for the pre-Olympic circuit, Drummond removed the labels and marked them with a simple "T'' for testosterone and "H," for human growth hormone. All the while, Gay and Drummond debated using the substances. Eventually, Gay tested positive. He returned the silver medal he won on the U.S. Olympic relay team, but a potential two-year sentence was reduced to one because he went to USADA to tell his story.

In explaining his positive test last year, Gay said it was not a sabotage story or a case of somebody out to get him: "I basically put my trust in someone and I was let down," he said.

Others providing information included American sprinter Marshevet Hooker, who was coached by Drummond and went to see Gibson in 2011, according to the testimony.

In 2012, Hooker received the same creams from Gibson, but, according to the testimony, Drummond told her not to use them. Shortly after that, Gay started training with Drummond.

While the USADA case has progressed, Drummond filed a lawsuit against Gay and USADA for defamation. A judge stayed the lawsuit until the USADA arbitration was complete.

Messages were left by the AP seeking comment from Drummond's attorney, Mark Whitburn.

USATF CEO Max Siegel released a statement saying Drummond's tenure on the athletes' advisory committee ended earlier this month.

"USATF, including the constituents who years ago elected Mr. Drummond in good faith to serve as chair of the Athletes Advisory Committee, had no knowledge of Mr. Drummond's activities," Siegel said. "We are all deeply disappointed."

———

AP Sports Writers Pat Graham in Denver and Jim Vertuno in Austin, Texas contributed to this report.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 08:04:13 AM by Socapro »
BORN TO DO IT

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Conquering Lion

• Tell me how can a man who doh know his roots form his own ideology?
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jon Drummond banned for 8 years.
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 03:13:52 AM »
All in the quest to catch Bolt and co.........

So we could give Drummond 8, but ease up on Tyson for saying "iz me and John went"... even though the creams were clearly labeled, they debated and made a conscious decision to cheat........makes no sense.

We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 07:55:26 AM »
All in the quest to catch Bolt and co.........

So we could give Drummond 8, but ease up on Tyson for saying "iz me and John went"... even though the creams were clearly labeled, they debated and made a conscious decision to cheat........makes no sense.

Not in good taste Conquering! Are you trying to imply that Bolt is cheating?
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 12:08:23 PM »
A sport heavily tainted. And some people continue to wonder why the sport is not attractive to many.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 02:24:44 PM »
A sport heavily tainted. And some people continue to wonder why the sport is not attractive to many.

At least the cheaters are being caught and punished. I'd be more worried about the sport if no one was being caught and the cheaters were able to get away with cheating for as long as they liked.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 03:30:50 PM »

At least the cheaters are being caught and punished. I'd be more worried about the sport if no one was being caught and the cheaters were able to get away with cheating for as long as they liked.

Take a read. Widen your perspective

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-07-15/sports/chi-tyson-gay-jamaican-olympic-gold-medalists-test-positive-20130714_1_usain-bolt-track-and-field-200-meter-champion

In track and field as in cycling, it is sadly no longer possible to give the benefit of the doubt to anyone.

Only the doubt remains.

It will never go away.

For track and field, that can only hasten the death of a sport that already is on life support in the United States.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 03:36:09 PM »

Take a read. Widen your perspective

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-07-15/sports/chi-tyson-gay-jamaican-olympic-gold-medalists-test-positive-20130714_1_usain-bolt-track-and-field-200-meter-champion

In track and field as in cycling, it is sadly no longer possible to give the benefit of the doubt to anyone.

Only the doubt remains.

It will never go away.

For track and field, that can only hasten the death of a sport that already is on life support in the United States.

Track & Field won't die in the USA my friend but a weak USA simply means more medals for the Caribbean so it doesn't really bother me too much!

Track & Field is alive and kicking in the Caribbean and is in fact T&T's most successful sport on the international stage! :thumbsup:

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2014, 03:40:16 PM »
Correction: Track and Field is alive and kicking in Jamaica.

When last there was a significant turn out for a Track and Field event in T&T?

Anyway my original comment was the sport is heavily tainted with cheating. And some people still continue to wonder why the sport is not attractive to many.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2014, 04:31:16 PM »

Anyway my original comment was the sport is heavily tainted with cheating. And some people still continue to wonder why the sport is not attractive to many.

Fellow, track & field is our 3rd most popular sport in T&T after football and cricket. Football is our most popular sport and when last have our male Soca Warriors filled the national stadium? It’s not that people are not interested in football, its just about the TTFA needing to promote and market local games much better and to pay the players and coaching staff on time so that everyone is 100% motivated to give their best on the field.

Same also applies to our NAAA TT. Its all about them promoting and marketing local T&F meets better rather than the sport of T&F not being popular in T&T as you falsely believe.

And regards to the Caribbean, track & field is not only very popular in JA my friend, it is also very popular in Cuba, Bahamas, St Kitts & Nevis, Grenada and other parts of the Caribbean and it is growing in popularity throughout the Caribbean I must add. The main problem for the Caribbean in regards to T&F is better facilities and a higher standard of local coaching but that will continue to improve.

Anyway the sport is attractive to me! I don't expect everyone to like track & field but I love it and always will. Also I don't think it is any more tainted than any other sport, it’s just that in T&F we have more stringent testing and rules against drug use than in most other sports.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 04:48:39 PM by Socapro »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2014, 04:41:07 PM »
Socapro made a point about 'alive and kicking' and now want to point out 'what are the popular sports in the Caribbean'  ;D Socapro horse racing is also popular in the Caribbean

I will repeat again for Socapro

if YOU love track that is good for YOU. However the cheating (especially by star athletes) have turned many people away from the sport

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2014, 04:46:26 PM »
Socapro made a point about 'alive and kicking' and now want to point out 'what are the popular sports in the Caribbean'  ;D Socapro horse racing is also popular in the Caribbean

I will repeat again for Socapro

Are you some sort of child trying to score pointless points?

My point was that Track & Field is alive and kicking in the Caribbean region and the last I checked Jamaica, Bahamas, St Kitts & Nevis, Grenada and T&T are all Caribbean counties where T&F are one of the 3 most popular sports and growing in popularity.

Your point is mute my friend even if you are too dumb or argumentative to realize it.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 04:54:28 PM by Socapro »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2014, 04:49:05 PM »
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/alarm-sounded-on-new-massive-track-and-field-doping-scandal/

The current doping crisis engulfing track and field is as damaging to the sport as the scandals involving Ben Johnson and Marion Jones, IAAF vice president Sebastian Coe said Sunday.

"In the 40 years I have been involved in athletics, there have been big moments - Ben Johnson, Marion Jones," the British middle-distance great told the BBC. "This is up there."

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2014, 04:51:22 PM »
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/alarm-sounded-on-new-massive-track-and-field-doping-scandal/

The current doping crisis engulfing track and field is as damaging to the sport as the scandals involving Ben Johnson and Marion Jones, IAAF vice president Sebastian Coe said Sunday.

"In the 40 years I have been involved in athletics, there have been big moments - Ben Johnson, Marion Jones," the British middle-distance great told the BBC. "This is up there."

Until there is an empty stadium at the Olympics for the track and field segment or for the World Athletics Championships that takes place every 2 years your point is mute my friend.
And that's without even considering the millions around the world who watch and take interest.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 04:56:08 PM by Socapro »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2014, 04:55:23 PM »

Here is some more Socapro. remain ignorant  :D

http://keepingscore.blogs.time.com/2013/07/15/another-dark-day-for-track-and-field/

PEDs have shattered track and field over the last decade. All world-record times carry some skepticism — if he or she clean? and the latest news won’t stop that mindset. On Sunday, American Tyson Gay, who holds the U.S. record in the 100 and won the 100 and 200-meter races at nationals last month, tested positive for a banned substance. (Neither Gay or U.S. Anti-Doping Agency head Travis Tygart have revealed the identity of the drug). “I don’t have a sabotage story,” Gay told the Associated Press. “I don’t have anything to say to make it seem like it was a mistake or it was in USADA’s hands, someone playing games.  I don’t have any of those stories. I basically put my trust in someone and I was let down.” Gay said he’ll withdraw from the world championships.

Jamaica, and the world, can take some comfort: Usain Bolt was not among those who tested positive for PEDs. At this point, Bolt is track and field royalty; his participation in next month’s worlds will make global headlines. But if a bombshell were to drop that Bolt had tested positive for something — and let us emphasize that this is just a big if — would it be all that shocking? Track fans have become accustomed to these types of revelations. And that says something sad about the sport

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2014, 04:59:23 PM »

Here is some more Socapro. remain ignorant  :D

http://keepingscore.blogs.time.com/2013/07/15/another-dark-day-for-track-and-field/

PEDs have shattered track and field over the last decade. All world-record times carry some skepticism — if he or she clean? and the latest news won’t stop that mindset. On Sunday, American Tyson Gay, who holds the U.S. record in the 100 and won the 100 and 200-meter races at nationals last month, tested positive for a banned substance. (Neither Gay or U.S. Anti-Doping Agency head Travis Tygart have revealed the identity of the drug). “I don’t have a sabotage story,” Gay told the Associated Press. “I don’t have anything to say to make it seem like it was a mistake or it was in USADA’s hands, someone playing games.  I don’t have any of those stories. I basically put my trust in someone and I was let down.” Gay said he’ll withdraw from the world championships.

Jamaica, and the world, can take some comfort: Usain Bolt was not among those who tested positive for PEDs. At this point, Bolt is track and field royalty; his participation in next month’s worlds will make global headlines. But if a bombshell were to drop that Bolt had tested positive for something — and let us emphasize that this is just a big if — would it be all that shocking? Track fans have become accustomed to these types of revelations. And that says something sad about the sport

You are the ignorant one who is ASSuming that I am unaware of drug use in athletics like there is in most other sports.

I have posted numerous articles here on the subject and even created threads on the topic. Do some searching and you will find them.

Still does not stop me from loving, enjoying and following track & field as not everyone is cheating and the cheats in T&F are being caught unlike in many other sports.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 05:10:51 PM by Socapro »

1]; } ?>