April 16, 2024, 04:35:35 PM

Author Topic: International Track & Field News Thread (featuring Top Non-T&T Athletes)  (Read 22325 times)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
For those who wish to follow the USATF Outdoor Championships live from Eugene, on right now click this link: http://live.usatf.tv/liveusaout2015.html

Official results at this link: http://www.flashresults.com/2015_Meets/Outdoor/06-25_USATF/index.htm
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 08:56:16 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Gay, Powell show 'Worlds' form
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2015, 07:53:15 AM »
Gay, Powell show 'Worlds' form
Published on Jun 27, 2015, 9:27 pm AST (T&T Express)

Tyson Gay

Tyson Gay won the 100m at the US trials as 19-year-old Trayvon Bromell became the first teenager to qualify for the American World Championships team.

Gay, 32, clocked 9.87 seconds and will return to the Worlds in Beijing in August for the first time since 2009. Bromell ran 9.84 in the heats, making him the tenth-fastest man in history, and was second in the final with 9.96.

Diamond League champion Justin Gatlin has a bye for the 100m in Beijing but will still race in the 200m trials. Gatlin, 33, has run 2015's fastest 100m and 200m - 9.75 and 19.68 seconds respectively - while double-Olympic champion Usain Bolt has posted 10.12 in the 100m so far in 2015 after coming back from injury.

Bromell, who ran a wind-assisted 9.76 seconds in his semi-final, had the advantage over Gay early in the trials final but the 2007 world champion powered through in the final 30m and won by almost a tenth of a second.

Meanwhile at the Jamaican trials in Kingston, former world-record holder Asafa Powell surged to the 100m title but 2011 world champion Yohan Blake failed to make the final.

Powell, 32, pulled away from the field in the last 20m to equal his season best of 9.84.

However Blake, 25, was sixth in Powell's semi-final in a time of 10.36. The 2012 Olympic 100 and 200m silver medallist won the world title in 2011 when Bolt was disqualified for a false start.

Bolt withdrew from the trials on Thursday.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Antiguan Francis sizzles to 19.76
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2015, 03:21:12 PM »
Antiguan Francis sizzles to 19.76
By Vijay, TrackAlerts.Com Writer
June 29th, 2015 12:26pm (TrackAlerts.com)

Miguel Francis, 20-year-old Antiguan sprinter sizzles to 19.76

There's a new sprint king on the rise in the Caribbean. He is 20-year-old Antiguan Miguel Francis, who trains with Racers track club with Usain Bolt, Yohan Blake and Warren Weir.

Francis, on Saturday, 28th June, established a 200m New National record of 19.76 into a negative 1.1m/s wind at Antigua and Barbuda National Track and Field Championship at the National Yasco Sport complex

Francis, who entered the event with a then PB of 20.31 done in May at the Cayman Invitational, finished well ahead of Kasheem Colbourne 21.38 and Raphael McCoy 21.97.

20-year-old Antiguan sprinter Miguel Francis, receives throphy for setting
new 200m PB & national record of 19.76 at Antiguan National Championships.

Francis’ manager, Kwame Galloway told TrackAlerts.Com that they are “humbled by the time.”
“I knew he was ready to run a special time.  His training ethics has changed tremendously,” he said while “thanking Coach Glen Mils and his Racers Track club for supporting this big venture.”

Francis’ personal best over 100m is 10.28, done on May 30 at the National Stadium in Kingston.
“God is good and I am so happy that I was there to witness history in the making,” Galloway added.

Samantha Edwards won the women’s 200m in 23.38 ahead of Arianne Strunkey 23.87.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 03:25:59 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Gatlin, Gay wary of reigning world champion
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2015, 10:32:15 PM »
Gatlin, Gay wary of reigning world champion
Published on Jun 30, 2015, 8:32 pm AST (T&T Express)

Top FORM: US sprinter Justin Gatlin. —Photo: AP

America’s top sprinters Justin Gatlin and Tyson Gay are not prepared to write-off Usain Bolt just yet as they conspire to dethrone him at the World Championships in Beijing, China in August.

Bolt, who qualifies for the 100m and 200m at the World Championships automatically as the defending champion in both events, has struggled for form this season.

But both Gatlin and Gay are convinced the Jamaican super star will be at his best when it matters, August 22-30 in Beijing.

“You never know until you cross the finish line,” Gatlin said. “I think everybody’s going to be ready and prepared.”

Bolt, the 100m and 200m world record holder, has only managed best times of 10.12 seconds and 20.13secs over the two distances this year.

His decision not to compete at the just concluded Jamaican National Senior Championships has also served to heighten concerns about his fitness level.

However Gay said the best approach was to prepare to face Bolt at his best.

“Right now, I’m not paying to attention to Usain Bolt,” Gay said. “He’s a championship performer. He’ll be ready when it counts.”

Gatlin holds the top time in the world this year in the 100m with a 9.74 seconds while Gay has clocked 9.87 seconds.

Bolt however has yet to break 10 seconds in a 100 in 2015 or 20 seconds in the 200m.

Gatlin and Gay will lead a strong US sprint contingent to the World Championships aiming to wrest the coveted 100m crown from Jamaica’s grasp.

The once-dominant Americans have not won a global 100m title since 2007 – when Gay won both the 100m and 200m world titles.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Isaac Makwala shatters African record in La Chaux-de-Fonds
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2015, 09:01:44 PM »
This article is from this time last year. Makwala has done it again a year later!

Isaac Makwala shatters African record in La Chaux-de-Fonds
Yomi Omogbeja (@Yommie_ATAF) on July 6, 2014 at 8:34 pm (Athletics-Africa.com)

Isaac Izak Makwala, Botswana’s 400m champion

Botswana’s 400m champion, Isaac Izak Makwala, today smashed the African men’s 400m record at the 35th Résisprint International athletics meeting, inside the  Stade de la Charrière, in La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland.

Isaac Makwala, the fastest African over 400m in 2014, stormed over the finish line in 44.01 seconds – erasing the previous record of 44.10 set by Gary Kikaya of the DR Congo eight years ago (on September 9, 2006) in Stuttgart, Germany.

His compatriot Pako Seribe came second in 45.21 while Savior Kombe of Zambia finished third in 45.48.

Makwala’s time, subject to ratification by the IAAF, is not only a new African record, but also the third fastest time this year and a new national record for Botswana.

Makwala later came back to win the men’s 200m in a stunning 19.96 seconds, another national record for the Botswana star, and bettered the meets records for the 200m (20.29 by  Stéphane Buckland of Mauritius) and the 400m (44.64 by Leslie Djhone of France).

Nigerian-born Femi Ogunode of Qatar clocked 20.32 for second place and Mosito Lehata of Lesotho finished in third place in 20.73.

Selected Results

100m – Men

1.Femi Ogunode (Qatar) 10.10
2.Mosito Lehata  (Lesotho) 10.23
3.Simon Magakwe (Afrique du sud/RSA)  10.26

100m – Women
1.Horn Carina (Afrique du sud/ RSA) 11.25
2.Ta Lou Gonezie Marie Josée (France) 11.38
3.Ikuesan Ayodele (France) 11.38

200m – Men
1.Isaac Makwala (Botswana) 19.96
2.Femi Ogunode (Qatar) 20.32
3.Mosito Lehata (Lesotho) 20.73
4.Demonte Enrico (Italy) 20.82
5.Simon Magakwe (Afrique du sud/RSA) 21.09

400m – Men
1.Isaac Makwala (Botswana) 44.01
2.Pako Seribe (Botswana) 45.21
3.Savior Kombe (Zambia) 45.48
4.Pecceu David (France) 46.45

See the Full 2014 Results: Results – 2014 Résisprint international La Chaux-de-Fonds (pdf)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 09:00:27 AM by Socapro »

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Makwala regains African 400m record with 43.72
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2015, 06:43:37 AM »
05 JUL 2015 Report, La Chaux-de-Fonds
Makwala regains African 400m record with 43.72

Botswana's Isaac Makwala in action in the 400m (Victah Sailor) © Copyright

Less than 24 hours after South Africa’s Wayde van Niekerk broke his African record with 43.96 at the IAAF Diamond League meeting in Paris, Isaac Makwala took it back with a sensational 43.72 run at the Resisprint meeting in the Swiss city of La Chaux-de-Fonds on Sunday (5).

Makwala’s previous African record was set at the 2014 edition of this meeting, where he ran 44.01. Just two days short of the record’s first anniversary, van Niekerk shaved 0.05 from that mark in the French capital on Saturday.

Determined to take it back, Botswana’s Makwala shot into the lead in La Chaux-de-Fonds and had a sizeable lead at half way. Qatari teenager Abdalelah Haroun came on strong in the closing stages, but Makwala was able to hold on to his lead.

He crossed the line in 43.72, the fastest time in the world since Jeremy Wariner won the world title in 2007. Now the fastest non-US 400m sprinter in history, Makwala moves to fifth on the world all-time list, ahead of Olympic champion Kirani James and world champion LaShawn Merritt.

It is the third year in a row in which Makwala has competed in La Chaux-de-Fonds. In 2013 he clocked a national 200m record of 20.21 and a 400m season’s best of 45.86. One year later, he improved his 200m record to 19.96 and clocked 44.01 over 400m.

His fastest 400m time outside of Switzerland is his 44.23 clocking, set when winning the African title in Marrakech last year.

In second, Haroun recorded a senior Asian record of 44.27 to finally better the 44.68 PB he has clocked three times this year. The 18-year-old moves to second on the world junior all-time list, 0.40 behind world junior record-holder Steve Lewis.

South Africa’s Henricho Bruintjies set a South African record in the 100m. The 21-year-old ran 9.97 (0.8m/s) in the heats but was met with a -2.1m/s headwind in the final, which he won in 10.28.

The top three finishers in the women’s 400m set PBs. Nigeria’s Patience George won in 50.76, half a second faster than her previous best, while Zambia’s Kabange Mupopo broke her own national record by 0.01 with 50.86 in second place. Italy’s Maria Benedicta Chigbolu was third in 51.67.

Jon Mulkeen for the IAAF

See the Full 2015 Results: Results – 2015 Résisprint international La Chaux-de-Fonds (pdf)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 08:58:48 AM by Socapro »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Wow, our 400 guys have their work cut out.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
‘Fireman’ Not Selected To Run 400 At Iaaf Worlds
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2015, 02:33:04 PM »
‘Fireman’ Not Selected To Run 400 At Iaaf Worlds
By RENALDO DORSETT, Sports Reporter (Tribune 242)
rdorsett@tribunemedia.net
As of Thursday, July 2, 2015

Chris Brown

Chris “Fireman” Brown, the former national record holder in the 400 and one of the London Olympics “Golden Knights,” has not been selected by the Bahamas Association of Athletic Associations (BAAA) to run the individual 400 metres at the IAAF World Championships in Beijing next month.

“It feels personal, it feels like someone is trying to sabotage this point in my career. I don’t know what the motivation is, but issues continue to come up for whatever reason,” Brown said. “God is good and he has the final say. I am not worried and I am not concerned at all. I know what I have contributed to the country and to the sport in all my years competing. My hopes are up and I feel good. If they decide that I should not be a part of this team, I wish them all the best moving forward and I will continue doing what I have to do and what is best for my family and my career.”

Brown, 36, did not compete in the event at last weekend’s BAAA Senior Nationals, but has run three sub-45 second 400m races this season and his time of 44.54 seconds stands as the second fastest time of any Bahamian this year, behind Steven Gardiner’s 44.27.

Gardiner took first place at the Nationals, breaking Brown’s record – which had stood since 2008 - in the process.

The top four finishers all went under the world championships qualifying standard of 45.50sec, with Michael Mathieu second in 45.00, LaToy Williams third in 45.30 and Ramon Miller ran 45.36 for fourth.

The BAAA mandated that athletes must compete at the Nationals in the event in which they expected to contest at the World Championships.

Brown was denied an exemption from competing in the 400m by federation executives and opted to compete in the 200m instead, where he finished second.

“My coach sent in the letter to the federation and there was no personal communication with me and the federation. For whatever reason the bye was not accepted,” he said.“The reason behind the bye was simply because I was trying to get in the best possible position to be on the podium for the individual event as be as ready as I can be to run with the same ability I have done so for many years. It’s been a busy year but you can’t deny that I have performed. Based upon my training and racing back-to-back many weekends, he decided he wanted to run me in something shorter. My recovery was a factor and of course being 36 my age plays a factor in that. He was hoping that it would give me an easier recovery time as we get ready to head back on the circuit.”

Brown was in the midst of a renaissance season which saw him deliver a series of impressive performances in his signature event, a pair of personal bests and one new national record.

In April, he ran 44.76 at the Drake Relays, followed with a time of 44.74 on the Diamond League Circuit in June and a season’s best time of 44.54 in May, currently the 10th fastest time in the world on the IAAF Top Lists.

Brown also set a national record in the 300m in 31.99s at the Birmingham Grand Prix, and set a new personal best in the 200m at last weekend’s nationals where he ran 20.58.

“It is a shocker to me honestly because I qualified three times. Went under 45 seconds three times, so I thought I would give us a good chance to medal and put our best effort  out there but that looks like that is not the case,” he said. “Only one person in the country has run faster than I have. I would have easily accepted this had the three runners finished ahead of my times this season, no problem. If they had went under that time then I would have known that my sport would have been taken. But if you have guys that finish over 45 seconds and none has beaten my time, then you take two people that have run under 44 seconds consistently.”

While he was not named to the roster to compete in the individual 400m, Brown was placed in the relay pool for the 4x400m relay.

“That does not make sense to me. If your rules say I cannot compete then why would you put me in the 4x400m pool, how would you justify that. I can’t get,” he said. “For me, I hit the standard three times and I don’t know what else I have to do to prove myself.”

Mike Sands, president of the BAAA, refuted claims that the decision was personal in nature, but that Brown simply did not adhere to the rules of competition set forth by the organisation.

“The criterion that all the athletes were made aware of was to come, register and run the event which you would wish to run at the World Championships. All of the athletes came and they registered and they ran the event which they wanted to compete at the World Championships. Mr Brown, through his coach, I think a day or two before the event, submitted a request for a bye that would have excluded him from running the 400m. The executives, after deliberation, did not see a compelling reason, given the nature and competitiveness of the 400m and also the rules of engagements that were known to the athletes long before, that Mr Brown should have been given a bye,” Sands said.

“Mr Brown and his management were advised that it is a grave risk if he chose not to run the 400m because there were a number of qualifiers and potential qualifiers. The integrity of the national championships and the national trials had to be kept intact, so at the end of the day, the risk that Mr Brown took did not pay the dividends he expected and it’s a very sad day for us.”

Brown did not compete in the 400m at the Nationals in 2014 but was still selected to compete in the individual event and the 4x400m at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland.

Sands said that mandatory competition at the BAAA Nationals is a rule that must be enforced to give the meet its proper prestige and place of importance on the athletics calendar.

“We have always encouraged the athletes and insisted on this, but we have to enforce it. You have to maintain the integrity of the meet, of the federation and you have to be careful with the precedence you set,” he said. “I think when the athletes come home and don’t run their specialty event, it also does a disservice to the Bahamian people that are actually paying those subventions. So, to maintain the integrity of the event and the rules and regulations that govern the athletes we have to enforce those rules. This was known to the athletes long before the meet.”

To that end  - in 2016, the Nationals will be dubbed the BTC/BOC/BAAA Olympic Trials and in order for athletes to compete in the Olympic Games, the BOC has announced that it will be mandatory to compete at these trials.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 02:34:54 PM by Socapro »

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Van Neikerk just came 1st in the 200m. He ran 19.94. Warren Weir was 5th with 20.43.

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Van Neikerk just came 1st in the 200m. He ran 19.94. Warren Weir was 5th with 20.43.
...and with that our 4x1 medal hopes become more bleak.
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Jobodwana won the 200m A-race. So yes, our medal hopes are more bleak.

South Africa, France and GB each have at least two sub 10 runners. St Kitts has one sub 10 and about two near 10 flat. We need another sub 10 runner to have a chance.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Why? I don't think that Van Neikerk is in the 4x1 for SA, I believe he is in the 4x4 squad.

I think our medals hopes in the 4x1 is still up there in the top 5 in the world once we get enough relay practice in before Beijing and the guys run in the best order to suit their strenghts.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Jobodwana won the 200m A-race. So yes, our medal hopes are more bleak.

South Africa, France and GB each have at least two sub 10 runners. St Kitts has one sub 10 and about two near 10 flat. We need another sub 10 runner to have a chance.

St Kitts only has one man Antoine Adams near 10 flat 10.03 to be exact (outside of Kim Colin) and Adams recently got injured at the T&T Open Champs. Their next fastest man Brijesh Lawrence is 10.15 and after that they have Jason Rogers with 10.17.

Despite us losing Richard Thompson to injury, T&T still has 4 healthy sprinters who are as fast or faster than the top 4 sprinters from St Kitts.
Apart from sub-10 Keston Bledman, we also have Marcus Duncan 10.15, Jamol James 10.15, Rondel Sorrillo 10.16, Marc Burns 10.17. In addition we also have the experienced Emmanuel Callender 10.21 and Mikel Thomas the Hurdler who ran 10.24 this season.

See 2015 Top 100m List for confirmation: http://www.iaaf.org/records/toplists/sprints/100-metres/outdoor/men/senior/2015

Darrel Brown is a disappointment this season as he is yet to run a time below 10.30. If he was sub10.20 I am sure the NAAA selectors would consider him for our 4x1 relay squad for Beijing based upon his experience.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 01:58:00 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Van Niekerk 19.94 Race video!

Wayde Van Niekerk runs 19.94 Breaks SA 200m NR Luzern 2015
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/MdGNGTakO8w" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/MdGNGTakO8w</a>

http://www.pulscom.ch/sll-ergebnisse/r194000039.htm

Spitzen Leichtathletik 2015
Stadion Allmend, Luzern, am 14.07.2015

200m Heat B, Men - Timed heats
Datum: 14.07.2015 Beginn: 20:54

Lauf   Wind: +0,6
Rk.   StNr.   Name   Jg.   Nat.   Verein   Leistung

1.   294   van Niekerk Wayde   1992   RSA   Republic of South Africa   19.94   1./I
2.   268   Edward Alonso   1989   PAN   Panama   20.03   2./I
3.   295   Fujimitsu Kenji   1986   JPN   Japan   20.13   3./I
4.   220   Mitchell Curtis   1989   USA   United States of America   20.40   4./I
5.   340   Weir Warren   1989   JAM   Jamaica   20.45   5./I
6.   346   Tyquendo Tracey   1993   JAM   Jamaica   20.59   6./I
7.   379   Maurice Mitchell   1989   USA   United States of America   20.70   7./I
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 03:57:53 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Powell wins in 9.87 at Luzern meet
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2015, 02:39:28 AM »
Powell wins in 9.87 at Luzern meet
Published on Jul 14, 2015, 8:45 pm AST (T&T Express)

Impressive: Jamaica’s Asafa Powell, right, and Clayton Voughn of the US in action during the men’s 100m race at the International Athletics Meeting in Lucerne, Switzerland, yesterday. --Photo: AP

Asafa Powell sprinted away from the field in the final stage to pull off another victory this season, the men’s 100m at the Spitzen Leichtathletik meet in Luzern, Switzerland, yesterday.

Powell continued his impressive form clocking 9.87 seconds while distancing himself from the field at the 80m mark to secure a dominant win.

Powell crossed the finished line ahead of fellow countrymen Nesta Carter, who ran 10.06 for second place and Kemar Bailey-Cole (10.10). The winning time was the fourth quickest this season for the former World Championships bronze medallist, who has a season’s best time of 9.81.

Jamaica’s Veronica Campbell-Brown ran a fantastic opening 100m in the 200m, but faded to second place in a season best of 22.61 -– just edging out American Tiffany Townsend (22.62).

Campbell-Brown was denied of first place by Charonda Williams of the USA who finished the course in 11.14 seconds then completed the double with a 22.32 secs to secure the 200m.

South African 400m record holder Wayde van Niekerk, who only recently produced a fast 43.96 to beat Grenada’s Kirani James over 400m in Paris, sizzled to a stunning time of 19.94 secs to win the men’s 200m against a solid field that had also included Olympic bronze medallist Warren Weir of Jamaica.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Big shoe companies could impact USA Athletes' future
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2015, 12:40:21 AM »
Big shoe companies could impact USA Athletes' future
By Noel ‘Bravo’ Francis, Special to TrackAlerts.Com
July 20th, 2015 7:15pm (TrackAlerts.com)

USA Men’s 4x100m relay team wearing jersey sponsored by Nike

A potential firestorm is brewing in US athletics involving shoe sponsor companies Nike and Adidas. Athletes running for Adidas were allegedly barred from wearing the Team USA jersey sponsored by Nike in the men’s 4x100m relay at the Monaco Herculis Diamond League.

The athletes affected were Marvin Bracy and Trell Kimmons who were slated to represent Team USA ‘B’ team.

Both Bracy and Kimmons are Adidas sponsored athletes. Apparently, the only time athletes that have sponsors other than Nike can wear a Team USA kit is at a major championship such as the Olympic Games and the World Championship. Mike Rodgers made these revelations in a post-race interview in Monaco. “I wish our ‘B’ team could run but we had some complications with our federation and Adidas say they couldn’t run. So we need to get that fix or people who sign with Adidas can’t run no relays. They can’t run unless is World Champs or Olympic Games”.

Rodgers noted that he and his teammates were unaware of the situation prior to the race. “We didn’t know until we checked in today, Adidas called and is like none of our athletes can run. We were very upset we didn’t have anybody to race today, it is what it is”.

Nike has a long standing agreement with the USATF which expires in 2040. This is a classic case of whose holding the handle and the blade. It is left to be seen if this powerful struggle between these two giant shoe companies will impact the livelihood of American athletes not sponsored by Nike.

The 4x100m ‘A’ team in Monaco comprising veterans Mike Rodgers, Tyson Gay and Justin Gatlin are all sponsored by Nike. Trayvon Bromell who ran the lead off leg will likely get a Nike deal if and when he makes a decision at the end of August about turning professional.

About the Author:
Noel ‘Bravo’ Francis is a very exciting and creative freelance sports writer specializing in the fields of athletics and cricket. His colourful down to earth yet professional personality makes him a favourite amongst athletes and fans. Readers are often exposed to his detailed knowledge and passion which usually increase their interest in the athletes, events and the sport overall. He has a first degree in Banking & Finance and works in the financial industry. Contact Noel at nanthonyfrancis@gmail.com
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 12:44:17 AM by Socapro »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bolt just ran 9.87 in London.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Not good enough to beat Gatlin

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Time will tell. Still elements to correct. Also eased at the end.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 03:04:58 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Time will tell. Still elements to correct. Also eased at the end.

If Bolt decides to compete in Beijing he will be in 9.7x form or better. The main thing he needs to get together is his start and if he does then he will take care of Gatlin.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
We hope Bolt will be in 9.7x form or better for Beijing. If not he has no chance of beating Gatlin. This is just the reality of the situation

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
UK Athletics clears Farah
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2015, 01:46:46 PM »
UK Athletics clears Farah
Published on Jul 30, 2015, 8:35 pm AST (T&T Express)

No impropriety: Mo Farah

UK Athletics has found no impropriety on the part of Mo Farah after receiving the initial findings of a review into the double Olympic champion’s relationship with coach Alberto Salazar, it said yesterday.

The review followed a BBC documentary last month that alleged Salazar and US Olympic silver medallist Galen Rupp had violated anti-doping rules.

UK Athletics said in a statement that it had received this week the initial findings of the review by its Performance Oversight Group (POG).

It said the findings would have to be shared with Britain’s anti-doping agency before any wider circulation, and did not expect any public announcement until after the world championships in Beijing next month.

“However, with reference to the first and most vital objective of the review, the board can confirm that none of the extensive information supplied to the POG contained any evidence of impropriety on the part of Mo Farah,” it said.

Nor did the information give “UK Athletics any reason to question the appropriateness of the input given by the Oregon Project to Mo Farah’s training regime”.

UK Athletics had sought to establish whether it was right to have confidence in the US training camp where Farah has been based since 2011.

Farah, who has not been accused of any wrongdoing, has expressed anger about the allegations made about Salazar and withdrew from a Diamond League meeting in Birmingham last month.

The 32-year-old, who won gold in the 5,000 and 10,000 metres at the 2012 London Olympics, said then that he was upset his name had “been dragged through the mud”.

American Salazar, who has worked as a consultant for British Athletics since 2013, has denied the allegations made against him.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
US champion off WC roster over Nike uniform squabble
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2015, 08:43:52 PM »
US champion off WC roster over Nike uniform squabble
Published:Wednesday | August 12, 2015 (Jamaica-Gleaner.com)

In this March 7, 2014, file photo, Nick Symmonds runs in the men's 800m heat during the Athletics World Indoor Championships in Sopot, Poland.

MIAMI:

As other runners wrap up their preparation for the World Championships in Beijing, Nick Symmonds plans to retreat into nature, seeking solitude after being left off the United States squad in a squabble over Nike uniforms the team must wear.

Fishing and climbing rocks are a way for the middle-distance runner to clear his mind and deal with the "frustration and letdown that I'm experiencing right now", he said.

Symmonds, a silver medallist at 800 metres at the last World Championships, refused to sign a contract that USA Track and Field (USTATF) requires of all athletes before they're placed on the team. When the official roster was named on Monday, Symmonds wasn't on it despite his win at the US championships in June.

For Symmonds, the issue is Nike's standing as USATF's official uniform sponsor. Anyone going to Beijing later this month on the US team is required to wear Nike gear at team functions. Symmonds is sponsored by a rival shoe company, Brooks, and wanted a clear definition of what a Team USA function was.

"I guess a small part of me thought they weren't stupid enough to leave me off the team," Symmonds said. "Apparently, they are.

"Emotionally and physically, I'm beat up right now."

Except for the exclusion of Symmonds, there were no surprises on the roster released Monday. There are five defending World champions on the US squad, including Ashton Eaton (decathlon), LaShawn Merritt (400 metres), David Oliver (hurdles), Brittney Reese (long jump), and Brianna Rollins (hurdles).

Marquee sprinters such as Justin Gatlin, Tyson Gay, and Allyson Felix are also on the team.

Taking Symmonds' place in the 800m is Clayton Murphy, who finished fourth at nationals.

Too Much Power

The 31-year-old Symmonds is known for taking stances on social and business issues that surround what he believes is a widely corrupt world of track and field. He said he couldn't sit idly by on this topic, believing that giving Nike so much power on what athletes can and can't wear at major events may hinder sponsorship deals down the road.

In this June 28, 2015, file photo, Nick Symmonds wins the 800 metres event at the US Track and Field Championships in Eugene, Oregon.

"We have to wear Team USA kit at all official Team USA functions, which is fine. I'm fine with it," said Symmonds, who plans to eschew training for a bit to fish and rock climb. "The problem is they never define what a Team USA function is. They do that almost on purpose so they can call anything a Team USA function."

USATF makes about $20 million a year in a sponsorship contract with Nike that was recently extended to run through 2040.

The federation issued a statement on Monday, saying, "The only restriction USATF places on athletes' apparel or appearance at any time is when they represent the United States in national team competitions, award ceremonies, official team press conferences, and other official team functions tied to these national team events."

USATF said it invests more than 50 per cent of its revenue directly into athlete support.

"We look forward to continuing to expand our programmes for athletes and we hope to see Nick on future national teams," the statement said.

Symmonds was a Nike-sponsored athlete for about seven years before switching to Brooks last year. He did so because "I needed a company that could work with me and match my personality a little bit better", Symmonds said.

He won the 800m at the National Championships in June, finishing in a time of one minute, 44.53 seconds. Symonds decided to skip lucrative competitions in Europe to concentrate on his training in Seattle so he could be in prime shape for Beijing. He felt like he was possibly in even better condition than when he earned silver at the 2013 World Championships in Moscow.

"We're not going to get a chance to find out what I can do," Symmonds said. "That's a travesty."

Although he has an airline ticket and a visa into China, Symmonds isn't sure if he will attend as a spectator or watch from home.

"I want to apologise to the fans who want to see me run," Symmonds said. "I just feel that I can't go out there and put on that Team USA jersey and feel good about it, while all the athletes are being mercilessly bullied and threatened by USATF at the same time."
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 08:45:46 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Candace Hill | The Fastest Girl in the World
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2016, 02:49:55 PM »
Trans World Sport profile on 16-year-old US sprint sensation Candace Hill. You're going to be hearing a lot more about her in the years to come.

Candace Hill | The Fastest Girl in the World
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yPPMMrnuDJM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yPPMMrnuDJM</a>

TWS features sports action from around the globe, including reports from the biggest international competitions, in-depth features on lesser-known sports and profiles of rising stars of the future.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 01:49:32 PM by Socapro »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: International Track & Field News Thread (featuring Top Non-T&T Athletes)
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2016, 01:37:16 PM »

Daphne Schippers already set the tone for a competitive women sprint Olympic year. She handled the Jamaican (who is topped to be the next JA star) Elaine Thompson very well to win her last race.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

It shouldn't be such a surprise, really, having mothers out there on the track. Not in a garland-holding, tear-dabbing, emoji-moment capacity but in full kit, at the coal face, on the start line, competing.

Of course it happened with some blatancy back in 1948 when Dutch sprinter and mother-of-two Fanny Blankers-Koen won four gold medals at the London Olympics. Commentators called her "The Flying Housewife", perhaps to reassure themselves she was still more at home among pots and pans than the heavily male-dominated world of amateur sport.

So hail the difference in 2016. No-one is going to call Jessica Ennis-Hill a "flying" or any other kind of "housewife".

She is an athlete, reigning Olympic and world heptathlon champion, and mother to Reggie, who will be two when she competes at the age of 30 in Rio this summer -- injury and Zika virus allowing.

The world of sport has moved on since 1948, it has edged closer to a level playing field between the genders so that the competitive will of mothers -- with spectacularly good child care -- can be accommodated and not thwarted by the system.

Read More; http://espn.go.com/athletics/story/_/id/14922938/jessica-ennis-hill-urges-sporting-mums-speak-out

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Runner Boris Berian Goes from McDonald's Employee to World Champion: 'A Year Ago I Was Just a Normal Guy'

http://www.people.com/article/boris-berian-runner-mcdconalds-cook-turned-world-champion

In two years, Boris Berian went from working at McDonald's to becoming a global star in track and field.

On Saturday, the 23-year-old won a gold medal in the 800-meter race at the IAAF world indoor championships in Portland, Oregon. Berian built a 10-meter lead during the first quarter mile of the race and finished in 1:45.83, according to Runner's World.

"It was simple. Just take the lead right away and then hang on," Berian told reporters afterward the race, according to the Denver Post. "That's how I feel most comfortable racing, and that's exactly what I wanted to do."

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Big showdown between Felix and Schippers over 100m in Doha on the 6th May. Interesting because Felix is not a 100m expert, but they say she never lose 100m on this track so we will see what happens.

http://www.diamondleague.com/news/single-news/news/detail/News/doha-felix-and-schippers-to-face-off-in-doha-100m/

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Keni Harrison fastest opener ever for W 100m H -12.36

http://www.iaaf.org/news/report/keni-harrison-100m-hurdles

1]; } ?>