April 25, 2024, 02:38:21 PM

Author Topic: Adios Chanders  (Read 2816 times)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Adios Chanders
« on: May 24, 2015, 02:55:02 PM »

Shiv Chanderpaul's selection for the Test series against Australia is under a cloud after he was left out from West Indies' 12-member group for a pre-series training camp in Barbados.

Chanderpaul could still make it to the Test squad when the final team is decided on May 29, 2015 after the conclusion of the practice match between the Australians and the Board President's XI. The chairman of selectors, Clive Lloyd, however indicated West Indies were keen on looking ahead.

"This was a tough decision for the selection panel to make," Lloyd said. "We recognise the significant contribution Chanderpaul has made to the West Indies teams over the last two decades, but we want to take this opportunity to introduce a number of young, promising players into the squad."

Chanderpaul, who has played 164 Tests and is 86 short of equalling Brian Lara's record of highest West Indies run-scorer in Tests, was officially notified.

West Indies training squad Devendra Bishoo, Jermaine Blackwood, Kraigg Brathwaite, Darren Bravo, Shannon Gabriel, Jason Holder, Shai Hope, Veerasammy Permaul, Denesh Ramdin, Kemar Roach, Marlon Samuels, Jerome Taylor
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Adios Chanders
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 05:18:49 AM »

Good decision.
Not because I did not want him to break Lara's record but because of his recent performances.
He should have left when he was on top or announced his retirement during or before the last Kiwi game.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 07:04:20 AM »
I've always had mixed feelings about Chanderpaul. I've always felt that he is for himself but in a less demonstrative way than say Samuels. Just how he bats, Chanders would often bat with the tail-enders but never protected them to retain the strike at the end of an over. Once he got his runs and ended not out to boost his average, that's all that mattered.

Even when he accepted the WI captaincy when the other top-ranked players were on strike... that showed me a lot about his character... not in a good way!

One good memory I have is in the oval during a one-day series with Sri Lanka some years ago. 2 balls left, 10 runs needed. Chanders dispatched Vass for a 4 and a 6 to finish things off... complete pandemonium... I prefer to remember him like this.

With regards to Lara's record I don't think he deserves it like this. If he was in form maybe... but not like this.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 03:45:56 PM »
I've always had mixed feelings about Chanderpaul. I've always felt that he is for himself but in a less demonstrative way than say Samuels. Just how he bats, Chanders would often bat with the tail-enders but never protected them to retain the strike at the end of an over. Once he got his runs and ended not out to boost his average, that's all that mattered.

Even when he accepted the WI captaincy when the other top-ranked players were on strike... that showed me a lot about his character... not in a good way!

One good memory I have is in the oval during a one-day series with Sri Lanka some years ago. 2 balls left, 10 runs needed. Chanders dispatched Vass for a 4 and a 6 to finish things off... complete pandemonium... I prefer to remember him like this.

With regards to Lara's record I don't think he deserves it like this. If he was in form maybe... but not like this.

:beermug:

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 03:47:22 PM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/sport/2015-05-26/rapid-decline-form

...forces selectors to axe Chanderpaul
Published:
Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Convenor of selectors Clive Lloyd, left, and West Indies head coach Phil Simmons during a media conference on Sunday at the Accra Beach Hotel, Barbados.
BRIDGETOWN—Chief selector Clive Lloyd says allowing Shiv Chanderpaul to continue playing in order to surpass Brian Lara as the highest run-getter in West Indies cricket, was not a good enough reason to retain the veteran left-hander.

Chanderpaul was on Sunday axed from the West Indies squad for next month’s two-Test series against Australia, a decision that is likely to end the player’s illustrious 21-year, 164-Test career with him 87 runs shy of overtaking Lara’s 11 953. He has scored 11 867 runs at an average of 51, with 30 Test centuries.

“We’ve taken that into consideration but that should never be the sole thing why you want to choose somebody,” said the legendary former West Indies captain. “As you may notice, he has been given quite a lot of games to probably try and get close to that and he hasn’t looked the part that’s why we’ve decided that now is the time to change.”

In explaining Chanderpaul’s axing, Lloyd said the player had experienced a “rapid decline”, averaging just 16 from his last 11 innings. And with the Guyanese already in the twilight of his career at age 40, Lloyd said the panel had also taken a decision to infuse the team with younger players.

Even if Chanderpaul extended his first class career, Lloyd said the focus would remain on developing younger players. “If he decides to continue, people have done that before. They’ve not been selected but they’ve continued to play first class cricket,” Lloyd explained during Sunday's hastily arranged media conference.

“Our aim as selectors is to continue to play our young players and give them that exposure and I think you can’t get better exposure than playing against one of the best teams in the world, probably the second best team in the world [in Australia]. “They will be tested and that’s what it’s all about. Going forward, we want to play our youngsters and a lot of them are doing well and we feel now is the time to give them that exposure.”

Lloyd said they were several young hopefuls knocking on the door like Shai Hope, wicketkeeper/batsman Shane Dowrich and Tyrone Theophile. The 21-year-old Hope made his debut in the third Test against England, scoring five and nine, as West Indies pulled off a series levelling five-wicket victory.

Dowrich, who averages 35 in first class cricket, and Theophile, who averages 27, are both in the President’s XI squad to face Australia in a three-day game which bowls off Wednesday in Antigua.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 03:54:37 PM »

I was also in de Oval fuh dat. Utter chaos when that happened, then we went Bat & Ball after  :beermug:
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 06:42:00 PM »

Sad to see him go out this way but he had ample time in the last few years to retire instead of being embarrassed like this..

Still a very good career.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 09:30:36 PM »
Truthfully, I think once rested he will regain his form. But no one cares as he is old and we have young guns.

Can't blame him for not retiring before. He was averaging 50 plus and breaking records.
Hope there is life after cricket for him.

VB

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 11:17:02 PM »
Truthfully, I think once rested he will regain his form. But no one cares as he is old and we have young guns.

Can't blame him for not retiring before. He was averaging 50 plus and breaking records.
Hope there is life after cricket for him.

VB

How has he performed in his last 20 test matches?

It's right not to select him. He has himself to blame

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 03:06:58 PM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/sport/2015-05-27/shameful-says-lara-chanderpaul%E2%80%99s-omission

Shameful says Lara on Chanderpaul’s omission

Valentino Singh
Published:
Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Brian Lara and Shivnarine Chanderpaul during the 2003 World Cup.
Legendary West Indies batting icon Brian Lara has described the axing of Shivnarine Chanderpaul as shameful and has called on the West Indies Cricket Board to give the left-handed Guyanese an honourary send-off by selecting him for the two-Test series against Australia.

The 40-year old Chanderpaul was left out of the West Indies 12-member squad for the first Test against the Australians which starts on June 3 in Dominica, effectively ending an illustrious career in which he scored 11,867 runs at an average of 51.37.

The selectors, led by former West Indies captain Clive Lloyd, justified their decision by pointing to the plunge in his form over his last 11 innings in which he averaged 16.

But Lara, who scored 11,953 Test runs, which Chanderpaul is just 87 runs away from passing, said the decision was another example of the way the WICB disrespects its players.

“This has nothing to do with numbers or averages. What are they saying that Chanderpaul was given the last 11 innings to get the desired number of runs to break a record?

“This has absolutely nothing to do with runs or numbers. It has to do with respect and Chanderpaul has earned the right to say goodbye in an acceptable way. In fact, he should be allowed to do it in his own way,” he added.

Lara noted that most of the other cricketing nations ensured an honourary farewell to their heroes and reflected on India when Sachin Tendulkar retired.

He asked: “What did they do? They organised a Test series in his honour and gave him a farewell in keeping with his contribution to the game.”

Lara described Chanderpaul as an extremely competitive individual for whom cricket was his life. “From Guyana in 1994 when he made his debut to his last Test innings he gave his heart to West Indies cricket and what do we do... drop him and that’s it,” he noted.

Lara said it was time the WICB started respecting the contribution of its great players.

“The manner in which they deal with their players is despicable and should no longer be tolerated. When you look back to so many of our heroes and the manner in which they were dumped, it makes you shudder.”

Lara called for Chanderpaul to be reinstated for the two Test matches against the Australians and the series be established as his final series.

“In that way, there will be no hostility and whether he makes a double century or a duck, it doesn’t matter, it will be his farewell series and the entire cricketing world will know that,” he added.

Lara said he would be pleased to be at the grounds when Chanderpaul played his last innings.

“He deserves it. The WICB and the Caribbean owe it to Shiv to send him off with dignity and respect. He has earned it,” added Lara.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 06:37:41 PM »
Well-played, Lara.

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 08:27:14 AM »
Lara is my boy but... I think his emotional response has more to do with how he was and continues to be treated by the WICB. Chanderpaul isn't performing and give chanders a chance and he'll play test cricket until he's 70. You gotta know when to hang it up.

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2015, 10:32:13 AM »
I am not going to be unreasonable and say Chanders should play against OZ, but you are really telling me someone couldn't come to him after the 2nd test and say to him perform next match or that will be it?? So at least the man could say goodbye properly.

Clive Lloyd and crew did him wrong, point blank.
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2015, 08:10:05 PM »
GOOD BYE Judaspaul still upset that you lead the scab team to Sri Lanka
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2015, 05:44:24 AM »
GOOD BYE Judaspaul still upset that you lead the scab team to Sri Lanka
The women in this forum unforgiving!  ;D

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Chanderpaul: I still want to play Test cricket.
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2015, 08:42:57 AM »
http://www.espncricinfo.com/westindies/content/story/891459.html

West Indies batsman Shivnarine Chanderpaul has said he still wants to play Test cricket and that he is unlikely to retire until at least the end of 2015.

"Definitely, but I am on the outside just waiting to see what is happening," Chanderpaul told Cricket365.com when asked if he wanted to play Tests again. "Retirement isn't on the cards at the moment. Not for now, probably the ending of the year maybe then."

Chanderpaul needs 87 runs to overtake Brian Lara as the leading Test run-getter from the Carribean but said he wasn't overly concerned about the record. "Well I am not thinking too much about that," Chanderpaul, who is playing for Guyana Amazon Warriors in the CPL, said. "You can't have all these things at the back of your mind but if it happens it happens, but if it doesn't it doesn't."

Chanderpaul, 40, was dropped for the two-Test series against Australia in June after managing only 92 runs at an average of 15.33 in the three Tests against England in April and May. Chanderpaul had six single-digit scores and only one fifty in his last 10 innings.

His axing from the West Indies squad polarised opinions, with Lara saying his former team-mate deserved a farewell series, even as Michael Holding felt Chanderpaul wasn't good enough to hold down a place in the West Indies team any longer.

West Indies suffered huge defeats in both the Tests against Australia, going down in the first by nine wickets and in the second by 277 runs.

1]; } ?>