March 28, 2024, 11:44:44 AM

Author Topic: David John Williams Thread.  (Read 121660 times)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: David John Williams Thread.
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2015, 04:35:07 PM »
Not only that, but wasn't Tim Kee president? why didn't he hired them then if he knew this?

It's not a matter of "hiring" them... these are elected positions.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2015, 04:54:07 PM »
Unless I hear wrong, John-Williams said that he wanted to possibly add some things that he felt were missing, not necessarily make changes to what was already there. In any event, it would have to go through some approval process.

The larger point is that the Constitution must not be trifled with just to pursue fantasies entertained on the campaign trail.  The present Constitution was the result of a very painstaking process mandated and supervised by FIFA, any changes can only come with the seal of approval by FIFA.  To do otherwise would be to the FA's detriment, as it likely would invoke sanctions all the way up to suspension.  It's a very naive statement, frankly.

I don't think DJW's statement about making some amendments/improvements to the TTFA constitution were naive.
He did say in his first after election interview that he does not plan to change the TTFA constitution away from FIFA guidelines but rather wants to clarify some of the silent sections in the constitution which revealed themselves during the election campaign that can be interrupted in a variety of ways.

Things can always be improved and T&T football supporters can always ask for the new TTFA President to list exactly what he views as currently silent that he wants to clarify in the constitution so that it can be more clearly interpreted. DJW can also be asked to get any new proposed amendments sanctioned by FIFA so that they are all within the FIFA guidelines while helping to improve the TTFA constitution.

Tim Kee must however be commended for the positive changes he made to the TTFA constitution under the guidance of FIFA.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 05:00:31 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2015, 06:32:13 PM »
Congrats to DJW... BIG congrats to the TTFA for ACTUALLY HAVING an Election...

DJW...stick to the basics...do your best..be honest...

I think we should form a " WATCHDOG " group to expose any situations early...

:applause: :applause:

When I think back to say 7 - 8 years ago, anybody did tell me this day would come, I woulda tell dem dey lie.  Never thought it would happen anytime soon.

Think bout it....Scamps gone, Rodent gone, the Vampire gone.....never thought I'd see this day.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2015, 07:08:37 PM »
Be careful what you ask for
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2015, 07:40:04 PM »
Be careful what you ask for 2

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2015, 08:08:06 PM »
Be careful what you ask for
I was about to say the same thing.  :beermug:
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2015, 08:51:31 PM »
I don't think DJW's statement about making some amendments/improvements to the TTFA constitution were naive.
He did say in his first after election interview that he does not plan to change the TTFA constitution away from FIFA guidelines but rather wants to clarify some of the silent sections in the constitution which revealed themselves during the election campaign that can be interrupted in a variety of ways.

Things can always be improved and T&T football supporters can always ask for the new TTFA President to list exactly what he views as currently silent that he wants to clarify in the constitution so that it can be more clearly interpreted. DJW can also be asked to get any new proposed amendments sanctioned by FIFA so that they are all within the FIFA guidelines while helping to improve the TTFA constitution.

Tim Kee must however be commended for the positive changes he made to the TTFA constitution under the guidance of FIFA.

I listened to the interview myself, so trust me when I say they were very naive statements, and are no different from what he said on the campaign trail, and what he said in his manifesto.  I criticized his statements then and my criticism stands now.  Statutory drafting is one of the things that I do, in fact I just did a constitutional amendment for a non-profit client of mine, so I actually know what I'm talking about.  I invite you and others to pay close attention to what Luca Nicola says from around the 1:00 mark to about the 2:00 mark:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/TYnvwjE9j0w" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/TYnvwjE9j0w</a>

People are speaking without knowledge.  FIFA went through a very painstaking process in amending its own constitution.  It then gave every member association a deadline by which to comply and bring their own statutes in compliance with FIFA's.  There is no leeway to deviate from that model.  Maybe some of you only now start paying attention to this TTFA constitutional amendment, but this is not a new issue for me.  From the work of the Independent Reform Commission, to the actual work on the reform of the contitution itself, I have been involved in very closely monitoring the process. 

FIFA Head of Member Associations, Primo Corvaro (who again was there to monitor the elections) spent the better part of a week in TnT about 18 months ago, working with the reform panel in clearly modeling the new constitution on FIFA's own, and mirroring Article for Article, the provisions of the new TTFA Constitution, on FIFA's Constitution.  No constitutional amendment, on any level, should be undertaken lightly, it's just not something you trifle with.  It is very unfortunate that Williams apparently hasn't acquainted himself with the level of care and attention which went into drafting the present constitution, or else he wouldn't be speaking so loosely about something so important.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2015, 10:04:58 PM »
FIFA Manager of Member Associations Luca Nicola congratulates David John Williams on his new post but also talks about a critical matter that he advises the TTFA to treat with seriously. According to Luca, Trinidad and Tobago could face suspension from the 2022 World Cup qualification if it does not pay outstanding salaries to former Women's Under 17 team head coach Even Pellerud based on a decision made by the FIFA Disciplinary Committee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYnvwjE9j0w
We need to contact Pellerud like yesterday and make arrangements to settle things with this man.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2015, 10:10:57 PM »

I listened to the interview myself, so trust me when I say they were very naive statements, and are no different from what he said on the campaign trail, and what he said in his manifesto.  I criticized his statements then and my criticism stands now.  Statutory drafting is one of the things that I do, in fact I just did a constitutional amendment for a non-profit client of mine, so I actually know what I'm talking about.  I invite you and others to pay close attention to what Luca Nicola says from around the 1:00 mark to about the 2:00 mark:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/TYnvwjE9j0w" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/TYnvwjE9j0w</a>

People are speaking without knowledge.  FIFA went through a very painstaking process in amending its own constitution.  It then gave every member association a deadline by which to comply and bring their own statutes in compliance with FIFA's.  There is no leeway to deviate from that model.  Maybe some of you only now start paying attention to this TTFA constitutional amendment, but this is not a new issue for me.  From the work of the Independent Reform Commission, to the actual work on the reform of the contitution itself, I have been involved in very closely monitoring the process. 

FIFA Head of Member Associations, Primo Corvaro (who again was there to monitor the elections) spent the better part of a week in TnT about 18 months ago, working with the reform panel in clearly modeling the new constitution on FIFA's own, and mirroring Article for Article, the provisions of the new TTFA Constitution, on FIFA's Constitution.  No constitutional amendment, on any level, should be undertaken lightly, it's just not something you trifle with.  It is very unfortunate that Williams apparently hasn't acquainted himself with the level of care and attention which went into drafting the present constitution, or else he wouldn't be speaking so loosely about something so important.

The issue DJW addressed was the silent parts of the TTFA constitution which are open to interpretation that he wants to clarify within FIFA guidelines.

What's important is that DJW does not want to or intend to change the TTFA constitution outside of FIFA guidelines.
Everything can be improved and if issues to do with clarity in silent parts of the constitution were encountered during the just concluded TTFA elections then they should be addressed once it is done within FIFA guidelines.

We will eventually see how DJW goes about improving the TTFA constitution but if he sticks to his words then everything should be fine and democracy enforced and safeguarded by the TTFA constitution might even be enhanced.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 10:13:54 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2015, 03:50:58 AM »
Smith willing to meet with new president
By JOEL BAILEY (NEWSDAY).

DARRYL SMITH, Minister of Sports and Youth Affairs, has indicated his willingness to meet with newly-elected president of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA), David John-Williams, to discuss matters affecting the sporting body as well as future plans in which the TTFA may be embarking on.

During a telephone interview yesterday, Smith acknowledged, “we have been embarking on something for the first time. I’ve heard no Minister has done this.

We are consulting a meeting with all the (national) governing bodies.

We have reached 30. In that short time, to meet with 30 NGBs is pretty good. We’re trying to finish all before the year end.

“We’ve already met with the TTFA, with (former president Raymond) Tim Kee at the helm at that time,” he added. “Of course we’ll have to have another meeting with the new (Sports Company) Board that has been put in place. And that will be scheduled pretty soon, before year ends we’ll meet with them again.” Smith stated that he was impressed with John-Williams’ pre-election manifesto and is keen to hear the vision set out by the new TTFA boss.

For a number of years, the TTFA has had to go “cap in hand” to the Sports Ministry for funding. Asked if the TTFA will have to adhere to a budgetary plan, Smith responded, “the TTFA has had their challenges as we all know. I’m hoping that it’s something that could be expedited and fixed.

“Whatever their internal systems and organs, hopefully that (John)-Williams and his new team could fix that because it’s a lot of last-minute requests that we’ve been getting.” The Sports Minister noted, “just a case in point with the women team that are leaving this week. We got that paperwork in on Saturday (and) they’re leaving (today) which is it’s absurd. We’re really trying to not let the athletes and the country on a whole be held back.”

The Minister emphasised, “at the end of the day, it’s an end to all means and we’re working with a budget. We’re working with the Ministry of Finance. It’s not like we have this money sitting on a safe. We have to also account to the Ministry of Finance and request funds. “So I’m optimistic, I’m a positive person and I’m hoping that (John)-Williams could rectify and fix these systems inside of the TTFA, so that the organisation can move forward positively.”

The Sports Minister also touched on the elections on Sunday, which took place at the VIP Lounge of the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo. “I’m happy that the democratic process went through without any hiccups,” said Smith.

“I wish him all the best in his new portfolio in the future.

“It’s a very important year with regards to where the (national men’s team are) now and how well they’re doing under coach (Stephen) Hart,” he added. “I think he will do a good job.

“He has my full support and the Ministry’s full support in whatever capacity we can assist. We’ll try our best to do that.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2015, 08:18:44 AM »
Congrats to DJW... BIG congrats to the TTFA for ACTUALLY HAVING an Election...

DJW...stick to the basics...do your best..be honest...

I think we should form a " WATCHDOG " group to expose any situations early...

CO-SIGNNNNNN
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2015, 09:26:27 AM »
Smith willing to meet with new president
By JOEL BAILEY (NEWSDAY).

“Whatever their internal systems and organs, hopefully that (John)-Williams and his new team could fix that because it’s a lot of last-minute requests that we’ve been getting.” The Sports Minister noted, “just a case in point with the women team that are leaving this week. We got that paperwork in on Saturday (and) they’re leaving (today) which is it’s absurd. We’re really trying to not let the athletes and the country on a whole be held back.”

The Minister emphasised, “at the end of the day, it’s an end to all means and we’re working with a budget. We’re working with the Ministry of Finance. It’s not like we have this money sitting on a safe. We have to also account to the Ministry of Finance and request funds. “So I’m optimistic, I’m a positive person and I’m hoping that (John)-Williams could rectify and fix these systems inside of the TTFA, so that the organisation can move forward positively.”
It's funny to see the new minister dealing with the same crap lol. DJW this is an area you and your team should improve on going forward since we know of dates and schedules for the various programs in advance. Let's take care of business from early!

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2015, 03:24:54 AM »
TTFA talks to Pellerud about outstanding $$.
By Ian Prescott (Express).

Newly-appointed Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) president David John-Williams expects to find a quick solution and have a long-outstanding payment issue with Even Pellerud resolved within a week.

Just two days on the job, John-Williams said the TTFA is urgently attending to the Pellerud issue.

“I feel confident we will resolve it in the next five to seven days,” John Williams told the Express yesterday. “I am scheduled to talk with him (Pellerud) tomorrow (today).”

Pellerud, 62, was hired by former FIFA vice-president Jack Warner in 2008, to prepare the Trinidad and Tobago team which hosted the 2010 FIFA Under-17 Women’s World Cup. He returned to his homeland Norway in 2012 due to salary payment issues.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2015, 09:10:32 AM »
Now that is leadership. Uncle Tim's non-approach was disgraceful. Disgraceful and damaging to T&T's rep.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2015, 12:31:28 PM »
Production! But hear nah...I have been silently waiting to hear bout bravehart contract!
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2015, 06:47:34 PM »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/rFKDj_mmW-s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/rFKDj_mmW-s</a>

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2015, 02:57:47 AM »
John-Williams promises TTFA books in 90 days.
By Nigel Simon (Guardian).

David John-Williams, the newly elected president of the T&T Football Association has vowed to get the financial books of the local association in good standing order within the next 90 days so it can resume accessing the FIFA US$250,000 annual grant available.

Last year, the T&TFA had its granting of the fund halted by FIFA for failing to maintain proper financial records and the cash strapped federation has to be dependent on the local Government as well as co-operate T&T to assist in the conducting of its financial affairs.

Following a meeting with Minister of Sport Darryl Smith and Michael Phillips, chairman of the Sports Company of T&T (SporTT) at the Ministry of Sports Head Office, Abercromby Street, Port-of-Spain, yesterday, John-Williams, the former president of top local professional football club W Connection, said he was focussed on getting the troubled T&TFA financial accounts in order.

He said: “There’s a lot of issues that we need to address, but we don’t want to talk about the past, the past is history, but with regards to the finances of the T&TFA I can publicly say now that we have US$500,000 sitting down in FIFA that my organisation cannot access because the finances are not in order.”

Refering to an article in the Guardian Newspaper yesterday, he said: “Those of you who would have read the newspaper today (yesterday) would have noted that FIFA said they were being more rigid with member associations and their finances, and there is money to be access in addition to an additional US$600,00 for specific projects.

“But unfortunately, the T&TFA cannot access those funds at the moment because of a lack of our financial statements,” he said.

With respect to finding a quick solution to the problem, John-Williams noted that: “I will be meeting with the auditors this afternoon (yesterday), and I can assure you that I have mandated them that we need to get the books in order within 90 days.”

“The impossible we will achieve, and the miracles we will leave to God, but we are not asking for a miracle. We have to do it, because if we don’t we might as well shut down the T&TFA”.

Commenting on the football body dependency on the Ministry of Sport and Sports Company of T&T to come to its rescue on a regular basis over the last four-year term led by Port-of-Spain Mayor, Raymond Tim Kee, John-Williams said: “Yes, I know we are heavily dependent right now on the Government of T&T for some sort of support and we want to thank them for that support”.

In responding to a request from Minister Smith that associations and local sporting bodies must present requests for funding in atimely fashion, the president responded: “It’s no secret that the earlier you book your goods and services its the cheaper. I want to assure the Minister that under my watch things are going to change.

In closing, John-Williams said his new T&TFA executive would have its first meeting on Wednesday December 16, of which all stakeholders will be informed of what is happening, while a road map for T&T football had also been produced and was available for scrutiny on the association’s website.

UNITED: Minister of Sport Darryl Smith, centre, joins hands with Michael Phillips, left, new chairman of SPORTT, and David John-Williams, new TTFA president, at the Ministry of Sport and Youth Affairs yesterday. —Photo: Ayanna Kinsale

« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 02:59:36 AM by Flex »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2015, 08:23:51 AM »
Last year, the T&TFA had its granting of the fund halted by FIFA for failing to maintain proper financial records and the cash strapped federation has to be dependent on the local Government as well as co-operate T&T to assist in the conducting of its financial affairs.

This paragraph sums up The Guardian in a nutshell. Inaccurate facts and poor grammar and spelling. Piss poor journalism.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #78 on: December 10, 2015, 02:08:28 PM »
so whats really going on now, before man was preaching the books was in order and last govt was playing games... but from what I ma reading that doesnt seem to be the case..

interesting

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #79 on: December 10, 2015, 04:50:54 PM »
This man has a great mind for football administration.

But if we have regulations that disallow a club owner from being TTFF Pres., it shows how much of a bananna repulbic we really are.

Not one person in the football fraternity has brought this up.

From JW and Sancho in football to Buxo Potts in Boxing we jus cah fokking learn.

Reaching for my popcorn. 
VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 11, 2015, 10:51:49 AM »
God's speed DJW! We know you inherited an almost complete administrative mess. Dig deep and sacrifice your own ego and friendships, and do the right for the long term happiness of every Trinbagonian on the planet. If you remain blameless in this regard your legacy in T&T football is assured.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 11, 2015, 11:07:08 AM »
This man has a great mind for football administration.

But if we have regulations that disallow a club owner from being TTFF Pres., it shows how much of a bananna repulbic we really are.

Not one person in the football fraternity has brought this up.

From JW and Sancho in football to Buxo Potts in Boxing we jus cah fokking learn.

Reaching for my popcorn. 
VB

The opposite would be true.  While there are no "regulations" prohibiting someone from simultaneously owning a club and being TTFA President, there should be.  The issue of conflicts of interest are apparent for all to see.  Nowhere in any well-run football Association/Federation do you see this conflict existing, but we're the banana republic?

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 12, 2015, 09:45:44 PM »
...so much picture dey takin...dem camera have flim?

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
John-Williams deadline: TTFA financial accounts by mid-February
« Reply #83 on: January 01, 2016, 03:38:56 PM »
John-Williams deadline: TTFA financial accounts by mid-February
By Jonathan Ramnanansingh (T&T Newsday)

Newly appointed Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TT FA) president, David John-Williams, has given his executive a deadline of February 15 to ensure that all audited financial statements from the preceding year are completed and ready for presentation at the FIFA Congress in Zurich, Switzerland, 11 days later.

This comes following a decision by the sport’s governing body to freeze TT ’s annual US$250,000 (approximately TT $1.6 million) Football Assistance Programme (FAP) allocation back in August under the leadership of former president Raymond Tim Kee and general secretary Sheldon Phillips.

FIFA releases just over this amount annually to its member associations under the FAP.

However, this funding only becomes available for use when members present their updated financial accounts. The inability to get hold of these funds now also delays the process of receiving the allotted amount in 2016.

Speaking at a special celebratory function on his presidential election hosted by Mayor of Point Fortin, Cylde Paul, at the Clifton Hill Beach Resort on Wednesday, John-Williams stressed on the importance of properly balancing and auditing TT FA’s accounts to present at the February 26 Congress Meeting.

“FIFA has withheld some of the funding which was due for us for 2015,” said the W-Connection owner. “These monies were kept back by the governing body because we did not comply with their regulation which is providing our audited financial statements. We have, I believe, a couple hundred thousand US dollars just sitting there from 2015. And because of this, we now cannot access the FAP funding for 2016, which is another US$250,000, if we don’t produce our audited financial statements. And this is one of our first tasks that we have to do (as a new executive).

Once we can do this, we will be slowly easing ourselves from the financial burden that we have found ourselves in.” John-Williams, who completed just one month in office on Wednesday, has hit the ground running currently preparing the national senior men’s team for their Copa America Centenario playoff against Haiti on January 8 in Panama City. The squad completed the their third training session at the Manny Ramjohn Stadium in Marabella yesterday but did so without the likes of rising star Keron “Ball Pest” Cummings, who was given an approximate recovery period of ten months, following an incident on Sunday when he was shot on his right leg.

Cummings has been one of TT ’s brightest prospects within recent times and has now been forcibly pushed to the sideline until an optimistic October 2016. He will miss out on several key games such as the Copa America play-off, World Cup qualifiers and other major tournaments within the region, including the TT ProLeague, where he plies his trade with North East Stars.

On this note, John-Williams revealed that the sport’s local fraternity will in fact assist Cummings during his recovery process.

“We have definite plans of helping the young man through this time,” he explained. “We will try to assist him with his therapy in some way. He was thankfully able to undergo a successful surgery on Wednesday and is a professional footballer employed with North East Stars and I would expect that they would also render assistance to him. He is going through a difficult time now but we are very thankful that he was not paralysed or dead. I just want to tell him that the strength of a man is not really when he is down but is when he gets up from being down. He has the support of his teammates and they are rallying around him. The team has dedicated the Copa Caribe game against Haiti to him and it will be tremendous for us to win that game.”
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 06, 2016, 04:25:54 AM »
John-Williams’ TTFA presidency celebrated by Point Fortin
By JONATHAN RAMNANANSINGH (NEWSDAY).

DAVID JOHN-WILLIAMS, president of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA), was paid a special tribute on his appointment as head of the sport’s governing body by Mayor of Point Fortin Clyde Paul and other exemplars of the Borough at the Clifton Hill Beach Resort on Wednesday.

Attending the celebratory function was alderman Paul, MP for Point Fortin and Minister of National Security retired major general Edmund Dillon, MP for La Brea and Minister of Energy and Energy Industries Nicole Olivierre, councillors of the Point Fortin Borough Council and members of the John-Williams family inclusive of the 96-yearold patriarch, Lewis.

The newly appointed president, a deeply rooted son of the South Western peninsula, went on to deliver a highly emotional speech on his journey to the top of TT’s football administration. Also wearing the hats of president and chief executive officer of top TT Pro League club W Connection, John Williams was humbled by the recognition paid to him on his recent works within the local football circuit.

“Not in my wildest dreams I would have seen myself as president of the TTFA,” he said. “But for some reason, when I reflect on my life, it seems that I was being prepared for this.” The astute businessman opted to take a stroll down memory lane by highlighting some of the events throughout his life in Point Fortin which played instrumental roles in developing him as an avid fan of the sport and eventual administrator.

John-Williams reflected on paying a price of 10 cents to enter Mahaica Oval to watch fellow southerners and former national senior footballers such as Monty Douglas, Salim Mohammed, Warren Archibald and Leroy De Leon play. He reminisced on his time at Point Fortin Intermediate RC Primary School, Naparima College and his stints with Point Fortin Civic Centre cricket and athletic teams, who according to him had some form of input towards his trek to TTFA presidency.

“I just want to say thank you to my family and to my dad especially,” he added. “When I was running for office, I said maybe it was written in the stars. The TTFA was formed on July 23, 1908. I was born on July 23 1962.

The election was held on November 29, 2015, and that day my dad turned 96 years old. I missed his celebration however, generally I am a very emotional person, but this one (TTFA victory) was for dad. Thank you very much Point Fortin family and I will take this to my grave.” In Paul’s address, he credited John-Williams’ commitment to the cause and his lengthy years of business and sporting experience both on the local and international stage.

He however, used this opportunity to make a few suggestions to the president on football development within the Point Fortin area.

“In the coming days there will be new beginnings and transformations and will be on the minds and tongues of many,” he said. “We have the right man for the job of TTFA presidency. We are now lobbying to make the abandoned Forest Reserve Football Grounds, better known as The Acre, the National Football Training Centre; all of our national teams would be able to focus on their task ahead.

Mr president this facility is wasting away. It is owned by Petrotrin but is ideal for the purpose I have stated and I see it as a revival of football in this south west.” Paul also issued a gentle reminder to John-Williams towards the implementation of the Mahaica Oval pavilion.

He also asked all those present to ensure that he gets the chance to sit and watch a game at the Mahaica Oval before his term of office comes to an end.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 04:42:41 AM by Flex »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 06, 2016, 08:36:10 AM »
The reporter says that DJW is the chief exec officer for Connection. But did he not pass this position over to his daughter. Correct me!?

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2016, 08:40:21 AM »
The reporter says that DJW is the chief exec officer for Connection. But did he not pass this position over to his daughter. Correct me!?

Yes !!!!

Nothing should surprise you when it comes to mistakes from the T&T dailies.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #87 on: January 07, 2016, 04:43:06 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/IdByFTqQZV8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/IdByFTqQZV8</a>

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #88 on: January 16, 2016, 05:13:50 AM »
TTFA President sets early targets for 2016.
TTFF Media.

John-Williams says six points in March will be ideal for ‘Soca Warriors’

Trinidad and Tobago Football Association President David John-Williams is hoping the “”Soca Warriors” can acquire a maximum six points in its next two 2018 World Cup Qualifying matches against St Vincent/Grenadines on March 25th and 29th. This he says is his New Year’s Wish.

“The Copa Centenario is history. It’s a big blow. We have to take the punch and right now the immediate goal is the two games against St Vincent/Grenadines. We must target six points. Six points are not guaranteed but we must target. I am hoping we can get six points against St Vincent and the United States gets six points against Guatemala and we can start planning for the Hex. That is my New Year’s wish,” John-Williams said.

The TTFA President has already met with T&T Head Coach Stephen Hart to begin planning the preparation for the two matches which will be held in St Vincent on March 25th and at the Hasely Crawford Stadium on March 29th. Six points in both matches will push T&T to ten points in four matches with two remaining games at home to Guatemala and away to the United States in September. The top two teams from the group will advance to the CONCACAF Final round of six teams from which the top three will qualify for the 2018 FIFA World Cup and the fourth place team meeting the fifth best placed team from Asia in the intercontinental playoff.

John-Williams said that inspite of the recession period, he was committed to pushing on with the business of Trinidad and Tobago football as he sees it a potential shining light for the country.

“Of course it’s a headache (financial challenges) but you live in hope. You try to do things that are very important, things to change that situation. It was disappointing that we did not get into the Copa Centenario. It would have been a good financial boost for the FA. But we live and we learn.

“We are still on target to complete our financial statements for February so we can probably access funding from FIFA. It is very critical for us to do our financial statements to show corporate Trinidad and Tobago that we are serious about what we do and that they can come back on board,” he said.

“Yes we are in a recessionary time but I think football is a very important year for us. Football can be the thing that gives the nation hope. We all saw what happened in 2006 and I hope that history can repeat itself. I thin it’s very important that we get into the ‘Hex” and if we can get into it by March 29th it can mean a lot for us as it will give us at least six to seven months planning going into the Hex and that can be a tremendous boost,” John-Williams stated.

He went on to add that the current TTFA administration which includes three newly elected Vice Presidents in Ewing Davis, Joanne Salazar and Alan Warner as well as a new board of directors, will be fully committed to serving in the best interest of Trinidad and Tobago football.

“I just want to tell the public that we are a new administration I haven’t taken up this job to try and fail or feel sorry for myself. There will be challenges. At the end of the day I am President of all football in Trinidad and Tobago. Not everybody will agree with what this administration does but I can assure them is it will be in the interest of Trinidad and Tobago football.

John Williams also spoke more on the dismissal of Randy Waldrum as T&T women’s head coach. Richard Hood was named as the new coach on Wednesday.

“I did approach Randy because people asked me to talk to him. I told him we were on some tight deadlines and we agreed on certain dates for some proposals that didn’t happen. And we as an administration was under some pressure to deal with it and we dealt with it,” John-Williams said.

He touched on one of the reasons being that Waldrum was not  based full-time in the country.

“If I were to tell the current Soca Warriors that Stephen Hart is coaching in Bahrain and is going to come here every twenty days when there is a World Cup qualifier, the public will want to crucify me for it. Why should I do the women the same thing and this is exactly what was happening. You can’t sit in Houston and pick a team for my Trinidad and Tobago. The public needs to understand that.

“While Randy has been doing a tremendous job, I think we want to go in a more positive direction and ensure the women get the attention that they need. Yes he is a very good coach, he has done a tremendous job but I think I want a greater commitment and greater full time responsibility for the national women’s team because we have a good group of women. We have to also take into consideration the finances of the TTFA.”

John-Williams added that Waldrum would not have been available to the team for the two warm-up games against Costa Rica on January 25th and 27th.

The TTFA President is currently in Antigua as the CFU Member Associations gather for a General Meeting in a weekend that opens on Friday with a cocktail reception to be hosted by the Hon. Prime Minister of Antigua and Barbuda Gaston Browne. The general meeting will be held during the day on Saturday. Between Saturday and Monday morning, the CFU delegates will hear from FIFA presidential candidates Jérôme Champagne, HRH Prince Ali Al Hussein, and Gianni Infantino, three of the five candidates who accepted the invitation to present their programs and answer questions posed by CFU Member Associations.

The Draw for the 2016 Men’s Caribbean Cup will also be held on Saturday morning at the Jolly Beach Resort & Spa.

Offline Errol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 16, 2016, 10:00:14 AM »
John-Williams have a valid point about Waldrum.

I am glad he came out and say it.

It's always nice to get updates from the FA frequently, not like under Tim Kee's era.

They obviously don't have the money to hire him full time and bring him down and it's impossible to have a coach coach from Houston.

Jamaal Shabaaz coached Guyana from a laptop once because he couldn't enter the US.

Its always better to have your coach present.

1]; } ?>