March 28, 2024, 04:49:22 AM

Author Topic: David John Williams Thread.  (Read 121622 times)

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
Re: David John Williams Thread.
« Reply #420 on: September 15, 2017, 04:26:13 PM »
Well go ahead and launch your coup. We waiting.

Just FYI you shoulda take action in January... Or you just talking?

I don't just talk brother, I do, problem was the people I was with, wanted to give this house negroe a chance, they didn't heed my warning, now they are seeing the damage...

2018 there will be a concerted effort... that I know...

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #421 on: September 15, 2017, 04:29:03 PM »
Whenever I see this thread pop up, I always click on it with the hope that there will be news about DJW departure from the TTFA.

On a serious note, is there any way that we the people of SWN, can create some momentum to get rid of DJW before more damage is done?

That's right, the owner of a pro league football team should not be in any position in the TTFA.

There is a way, question is, how bad do the supporters on this board want it? Will they come together in one vision and one focus and unite or continue to fight with one another?

The supporters of this board could change the course of our football forever but will everyone work as one unit?

Will they put aside their ego, differences and work as one to move our football ahead to where it should be?

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #422 on: September 21, 2017, 01:51:22 AM »
John-Williams not interested in CFU pres spot.
By Walter Alibey (Guardian).

David John-Williams, the defeated Caribbean Football Union (CFU) presidential candidate last year, has said he is not interested in assuming the position of president in the wake Gordon Derrick’s six-year ban by the FIFA, the world governing body for football.

On Tuesday Derrick, who had prevailed over an ambitious John-Williams 18-13 in a tight race for the region’s top football spot, was banned from all football related activities for violating several articles of its code of ethics.

The case against Derrick focused on alleged conflicts of interest, offering and accepting gifts, mismanagement of funds, abuse of position and disloyalty.

Derrick however still maintains that he did nothing wrong. This latest development has led to speculation that John-Williams would have been the obvious choice for the position of president until someone if elected.

At present Randy Harris, president of the Barbados Football Association holds the CFU top job.

He took over recently from Grenada’s Cheney Joseph, the first vice president under Derrick, after being the automatic choice when Derrick was being investigated.

John Williams told Guardian Media Sports yesterday that, not only is he not interested in assuming the CFU presidency, but he is not in a position to do so, as the constitution is quite clear concerning the hierarchy in the organization. “The first vice president takes over in the event the president is unable to carry out his responsibilities.

And if not him, the second vice president. Joseph resigned soon after taking over from Derrick which led to fresh election, and that is where Harris was elected”.

The embattled TTFA president who was accused of pursuing regional gains and neglecting development of TT football said “When I decided to contest the presidency of the CFU last year, I had a clear vision for the development of the sport in the region, but I did not get the support, but I still have a vision for the sport and the Caribbean, but just not at this point in time, as my plate is already filled with T&TFA business.”

According to John-Williams he is pleased of his administration’s achievements in the short time they have been put into office. “If you read our manifesto, you would realize we are close to achieving all our promises.

We have not been in office two years yet, but we have seen a home for football, annual accounts being given to FIFA and major financial returns from high profile international matches, fully operational Women’s Programme.” John Williams said.

He believes that in spite of the achievements to date, that his administration has still fallen short of public expectations, which he said is due largely because of football being the the country number one sport.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: September 21, 2017, 11:32:10 AM »
We have not been in office two years yet, but we have seen a home for football
Where nobody comes to watch football

major financial returns from high profile international matches
Yeah....like the recent WC Qualifier against Honduras at the "home for football"

fully operational Women’s Programme.”
Perhaps Carolina Morace and the T&T womens players can provide some insight to that?

He believes that in spite of the achievements to date, that his administration has still fallen short of public expectations, which he said is due largely because of football being the the country number one sport.
Interesting to see that WC qualification in 2018 must NOT have been one of his manifesto items.

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: September 21, 2017, 02:46:23 PM »
There HAS to be a way to oust this guy. Does the TTFA have a constitution? If one exists, we need to go through it with a fine tooth comb. . Women qualification starting next year..

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: September 22, 2017, 07:45:54 AM »
This guy will kill Football ,am thinking kids gonna flock to 20/20 cricket !After seen the cars the red force players driving .

Offline Tobago28

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: October 03, 2017, 04:13:11 PM »
After the next two massacres where we will concede a minimum of 6 goals our FIFA ranking will be close to 120. The U15 and U17 were abused on the pitch. Can anyone call Contro a liar now?

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: October 03, 2017, 06:58:45 PM »
Someone mentioned it before, I forgot who, he will kill it then try to bring it back to life so he can be seen as a hero....but I don't think that's likely.
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline Tobago28

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: October 04, 2017, 09:17:15 AM »
Someone mentioned it before, I forgot who, he will kill it then try to bring it back to life so he can be seen as a hero....but I don't think that's likely.

Anyone thinking that way has to be either a fool or know nothing about the development cycle of football. Maybe BOTH!  It simply takes too long for player development for him to bring it back in the window of a TTFA President's term. He would have been a hero if he kept Hart in a cycle with a weak US team in disarray and let the cards playout but he just prove he is either an ASS, a DUNCE or BOTH

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #429 on: October 06, 2017, 12:44:32 AM »

Anyone thinking that way has to be either a fool or know nothing about the development cycle of football. Maybe BOTH!  It simply takes too long for player development for him to bring it back in the window of a TTFA President's term. He would have been a hero if he kept Hart in a cycle with a weak US team in disarray and let the cards playout but he just prove he is either an ASS, a DUNCE or BOTH

If you notice, TT has to now play the spoiler for the US, but that won’t happen...

You see if hart was still coach and had his way, we would be in the top 3 and the elite teams would be  fighting to qualify..

With the dictator sabotaging our football, we now can make it easier for teams like Mexico and the US to qualify...

Had our team not been sabotaged we would then be in a position to challenge Mexico for first place ...

That could not happen, the house negro ensured that ....

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #430 on: October 06, 2017, 11:11:39 AM »

Sure right Tobago

Doesn’t make any logical sense to do that

Tim kee was hated when he came in and built respect afterwards

The dictator has done no favours for himself and people will remember he sabotaged the team

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: October 06, 2017, 07:05:49 PM »
On step forward two steps back
Babylon

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: October 10, 2017, 04:50:36 AM »
WATCH: TTFA President David John-Williams talks about the work that his organization is doing

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ig3th3zFWn0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ig3th3zFWn0</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: November 11, 2017, 08:11:30 PM »

Ok so under DJW leadership we have failed to qualify for Copa, failed to qualify for the last round of Caribbean Cup thus failing to qualify for Gold Cup, none of our youth teams have improved, women team have regressed, if we fail (I hope I am wrong) to qualify for WC then I hope to see outrage in the media and by football fans and a demand for him to resign. Let us see what happens.

well what has change since this post? , the answer iz we getting even worse and this man STILL is the President. This will never happen in any other country that take dey football serious

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #434 on: December 23, 2017, 05:56:23 AM »
From chaos to catastrophe; why John-Williams is worse than Jack Warner.
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868).

“On the eve of the game, I remember [Russell] Latapy walks in to the team hotel with a woman in tow and declares that he wants to have a meeting with the staff and [technical director] Gally [Cummings] called a meeting.

“And I’m thinking for the whole week Latapy hadn’t trained properly, he was constantly late for team meals and now here he was dictating to the staff…”

In the final instalment of a two-part interview, retired FC Santa Rosa head coach Keith Look Loy discusses his tenure on the bench, life under disgraced ex-TTFF special advisor Jack Warner, why current football president David John-Williams is a failure and who should be the next TTFA president.

Wired868: How would you describe your coaching philosophy?

Keith Look Loy: My coaching philosophy is that we need to win every day and I really don’t care how. I tend to be very pragmatic and I always base my team strategy and tactics on defending first and then countering what the other team intends to do—which is based on scouting—and then ensuring as much as possible that we take the lead. My record generally is when we take the lead, we win.

The entire team must be prepared to contribute to that [defensive effort]. No exceptions. Except, as I said before, an exceptional talent like [Arnold] Dwarika. If we play nice, great—but I intend to win be it ugly or nice. I don’t care which.

Wired868: And how did that philosophy work during your time as Trinidad and Tobago national youth team coach?

Look Loy: I think it was pretty successful bar that CONCACAF Under-17 tournament in El Salvador [in 1999] when I took over two weeks before the tournament. They had fired [coach Muhammad] Isa and, two weeks before the tournament, [then TTFF special advisor] Jack [Warner] called and told me to see what I could do. I was a TTFF employee at the time so I said yes and I went to El Salvador and we got six, six and six [goals in every match].

Even then, we were on even footing with everyone after about an hour. We were leading Mexico 2-0 and eventually lost 6-2. Because what can you do in terms of fitness in two weeks?

Other than that, all my teams only lost to a top side. We beat Colombia in the CAC Games in 1994 when we finished fifth. Then we lost at Under-20 level to Costa Rica in 1995 and Mexico in 1997. In those days in particular, a National Under-20 team comprised of schoolboys—because we had no professional league then and our youth football league was school football—whereas the Costa Ricans and Mexicans were bringing players who were already playing professional football.

We never got to the knockout round of the Concacaf tournament but we also never lost to a Caribbean team. We were always on the top of the Caribbean pile, which is the minimum you should expect from a Trinidad and Tobago coach.

Wired868: You had one spell with the National Senior Team as assistant coach to Zoran Vranes in 1996…

Look Loy: Vranes begged me to be his assistant and I went in against my better judgment because I considered him my friend. That campaign was undermined by certain players and certain staff, by which I mean they were not giving full support and talking to players behind Vranes’ back and encouraging them to be disruptive.

I speak Spanish so they sent me to Costa Rica to see them play Chile before our World Cup qualifier. I came back to our camp in [the] Normandie [Hotel] with an extensive report and proceeded to open up that report. [Russell] Latapy jumps up to say I find we treating them like a big side, why we talking about them. Then Gally [Cummings]—who was the technical director at the time—said he saw no reason to talk about them. So Latapy jumps in his car and gone with three players. I couldn’t believe it.

For that whole preparation, Latapy and [Dwight] Yorke were staying in the Hilton and literally dropping by to the team camp and at training sessions that was allowed. The lunatics were running the asylum. Vranes wanted to drop them but he couldn’t because Gally and [assistant coach] Kenny Joseph were not in favour of [dropping them].

On the eve of the game, I remember Latapy walks in to the team hotel with a woman in tow and declares that he wants to have a meeting with the staff and Gally called a meeting. And I’m thinking for the whole week Latapy hadn’t trained properly, he was constantly late for team meals and now here he was dictating to the staff.

[…] After we lost, I remember they called me to a meeting and it was Sedley [Joseph] and Alvin [Corneal] and so on. And I sat down and told them they’re fixing to fire the wrong man and if they fire Vranes, I quit. I answered the questions and gave them my opinions and then they brought in Clovis [D’Olivierra] and we ended with one point in the whole campaign. The player core was corrupted and the staff that they threw Vranes into was a waste of time.
I remember after Latapy had the scouting report cancelled, I told all the players that I had information on Costa Rica and the assignments for each player and, if they were interested, they only had to knock on my door. [Ancil] Elcock was the only player who came and knocked on my door.

Wired868: Was that a snippet of life during Jack Warner’s era at the TTFA? What can you tell us about that period?

Look Loy: It was chaos and there were a lot of people who liked the chaos and disorganisation because they could get away with things. Jack was not a fan of major planning; he liked to ad lib and make it up as we went along. But there were more resources available to the national teams. When he committed to a project, he would just bring the money and bring the personnel.

[…] If something went wrong, he would just throw money at it but that was still better than now. In those days, we were indisputably top of the Caribbean and our youth teams were going to FIFA Youth Cups and we were hosting major tournaments like two Junior World Cups. Where are we now?

If you use those objective categories, the question answers itself in pure footballing terms. Our national teams were better off and were achieving more, our domestic club football was better off, we went from Semi-Pro League to Pro League. We had teams that ruled the Caribbean football and that were not being embarrassed in CONCACAF club football. Look at what is passing for our domestic club football today.

It is not just down to money. In those days—jump high, jump low—there wasn’t the politicking we have today with national team coach selections; I give Jack that. I remember when we brought [Even] Pellerud [to coach the National Women’s team]. I put together a panel of people to search for a top coach. [Jamaal] Shabazz was on that panel and Isa. Then I went to him and said ‘This is the man’. And Jack got him. That was it. There wasn’t the politicking we see nowadays.

I was the technical advisor and we brought in Angus Eve as a national youth coach on merit and we brought in Shawn Cooper on merit because these were the people who were bringing in trophies at youth level. We said unless we bring in foreigners, we had to use people who were getting results and winning competitions locally. It wasn’t about who is your friend or if you are coaching at W Connection.

On a personal level, I always gave Jack Warner his due respect for giving me the opportunity to work in CONCACAF and FIFA at a high level and he always respected my capacity and my opinions.

On a professional level, in my mind there is no dispute that—whatever else you say about his administration under his reign—Trinidad and Tobago and Caribbean football was much more dynamic and achieving more [than it is it now]. Trinidad and Tobago and Jamaica went to youth and senior World Cups and Haiti went to a Junior World Cup.

[…] His legacy will always be tainted by the charges levelled against him by the FIFA Ethics Committee and the FBI. He will have to deal with that if ever he is extradited. But he facilitated a lot of things through his politicking.

Wired868: Do you plan to run for the post of TTFA president?

Look Loy: No. I am not being coy about it; I have no interest in that. I have taken on the Trinidad and Tobago Super League [TTSL] presidency and when [my term] ends, I will be 68. I do not intend to spend all my time in football. I want to spend some time with my wife and family and I don’t want to be one of those football dinosaurs trying to hang on to power.

I want to work with and for anybody who I believe has the interest of our football at heart and is intent on progressing our football. We have had too many people in football who are intent on progressing their own personal interest and some of them know nothing about football. I will support and work for anyone I believe is the best person for our football.

Wired868: What attributes do you think are necessary for the person at the helm of the TTFA?

Look Loy: The president of the TTFA has to have experience either being a president or being in charge of an enterprise with a lot of management challenges or money passing through it. I would like to get someone from inside football with a proven record of not just work but honesty and openness to discussion.

Everyone says we want a businessman but we have had businessmen who put us in trouble before, starting with Eric James and Jack [Warner] and [Raymond] Tim Kee right up to and including [David] John-Williams; it is the businessmen who are putting us in trouble.

[…] It is better to have someone who knows about football and we bring in the expertise to do business. Russell Simmons and them don’t have MBAs but they hire the expertise. We need football people in charge and we can hire the expertise because the central compass has to be your love and dedication for Trinidad and Tobago football and moving us forward. Football has to guide us and what we don’t have, we hire. I will never change my mind on that.

Wired868: Is there anyone you have in mind?

Look Loy: I can’t say. But I am encouraging people to come to [TTFA] meetings and make your presence felt and exert yourself… When [critics] said I won the Super League presidency without a manifesto, I said my whole life in football is a manifesto. You want somebody to come and make promises like a politician? Anybody can put something on paper. Anybody who wants to run against John-Williams in two years’ time has to be showing their mettle now. Don’t show me a manifesto in two years time; you are not tricking me with that.

The guiding thing here is honesty and openness. If a man doesn’t know something, he can get the expertise and take guidance. Without [honesty and openness], we will go nowhere but backwards and that is where we are going—backwards! Everything in football now is politics where the powers-that-be allow things to happen because they think they can benefit. Moving football forward is by the way and not central.

Everybody is afraid to stand up and be counted. Look at what is going on with the [TTFA Training and Technical] Centre, otherwise known as John-Williams’ monument to himself. Who bid to run the project? Who was hired? What is the completion date?

Nobody knows and big people sit down in a meeting and allow it. Don’t feel I didn’t have ring-down arguments with Jack. We did. He would ask my opinion, I would give it and he would decide what he wanted to do—because I am not a political officer, I am [like] the PS. He valued my opinion even when he didn’t take it on.

With John-Williams, we have one mannism and we have had enough of that; that is the history of our country. That is why I am very proud of the TTSL. Because we have grassroots democracy where everyone is involved in the process. Let us decide collectively what we have to do. If we make an error, we all make an error and we all have to decide how to correct it.

Wired868: What is the first thing you would change about the TTFA if you could?

Look Loy: The first thing I would change is the personnel in charge of football, starting with the elected officers in charge of regional associations. We need vibrant, forward-thinking people to be in charge—at both the regional and national level. Admittedly, that is difficult because people don’t come forward.

[…] Then we need a change in the political culture, which is more difficult. The TTFA remains an association where the dominant philosophy is one mannism. One man decides and everyone hush to get a trip here or an appointment there… The TTFA lacks transparency in important areas like financial, with the most important being the  TTFA project that’s going on. Nobody knows anything and who knows isn’t talking. There is a major problem with the decision making process where we keep trying to force democracy on them and they keep trying to sidestep democracy.
[…] The other area is the bumbling around. It is a very inefficient organisation and the matter of compliance and club licensing are just two examples of that.
Just look at the situation where Sharon O’ Brien is an employee of the TTFA and subject to the direction of general secretary Justin Latapy[-George]. But then Sharon is also president of WOLF and sits on the TTFA board. So in the office she is junior to Justin but, in the TTFA boardroom, she is his boss. How can an employee be on the board of the TTFA? Who is the boss in that relationship?

It speaks to the level of inefficiency in the organisation… When the Central FA was considering getting rid of [Board-appointed Samuel] Saunders, they asked for the TTFA minutes to see his attendance at meetings so they could tell if Saunders was representing them. And I have it on good authority that John-Williams was livid that any board minutes should be shared with anyone [outside of the Board]. What does the Board have to hide? [The TTSL] allows anyone to come in and view minutes because that is the right of the membership.

[…] And, of course, the other issue is the political decision making that is at the heart of appointments for the national team staff. Jabloteh have won the Pro League Youth tournaments for three years in a row and not one coach [from that club] gets an appointment and the majority of the elite youth coaches are from Connection and south Trinidad. You have men from Connection who can’t beat anybody and can’t demonstrate any success but are getting national team appointments.

[…] Why do we not have a general consultation about why our our national teams are consistently coming outside the top five even in youth football? Why is that not a crisis? Why are people failing and constantly coming back as though it is just another day at the office?

Wired868: I asked you about your best moment as coach before—but what is your worst?

Look Loy: There are two. The first one was the period when I had to fight the SSFL in court to overturn an unjustified and unjustifiable ban. That was a terrible time because people had all sorts of things to say about me and I was public enemy number one for call-in programs with Fazeer Mohammed and them.

I wasn’t coaching anybody at the time and I had a young son, Khari, so my wife, Cathy-Ann, said why don’t you start your own club? I said that was a brilliant idea and that is how FC Santa Rosa started.

The next one would be when I took over that Under-17 team that nobody wanted two weeks before the tournament and I went to El Salvador and we got six, six and six. The same thing happened with Joe Public in the CONCACAF Champions Cup when Isa was coach and I was technical director. Again, they fired Isa and a week before the match in the RFK Stadium in Washington, [Warner] said ‘Try and do something with them for me.’ We got [eight] and again Look Loy was the worst coach. But I never doubted my acumen. Maybe I should have been smart and said ‘No’ but those were three moments where I took a real buffeting.

But as I said at our TTSL prize-giving function, by Monday morning I done forget about that loss [against UTT] and I am thinking about 2018. That is how I have always lived my life. I took my licks and I came out alright.

Now, I am returning to the coaching I really love. As a player in the United States, I would coach young children in the off-season and I am going back to that to finish my career. I will handle ages 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12 but nothing over 12. I will be quite happy doing that.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: December 23, 2017, 09:21:01 AM »
Contro. Whey you dey? Keith say that elections is in 2 years. So I hope you have your people ready. I eh eh kickin’ on you Breds. You say you have a group that could do the job. Well now is the time. Merry Christmas and Happy New to the SW forumites.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: December 23, 2017, 10:29:12 AM »
Should Latapy be coaching our youths? seeing he has such a poor discipline record, with stories from Scotland to Trinidad 

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: December 23, 2017, 11:25:39 AM »
I sure hope there's a worthy team or two getting prepared to run for elections.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #438 on: December 23, 2017, 12:09:42 PM »
Contro. Whey you dey? Keith say that elections is in 2 years. So I hope you have your people ready. I eh eh kickin’ on you Breds. You say you have a group that could do the job. Well now is the time. Merry Christmas and Happy New to the SW forumites.

Merry Xmas and god bless to you and the forumites...

I can’t run for president as I haven’t managed a football club in TT sadly, but the group can get behind the right person. Haven’t been on the board for a minute, by that time we should have a manifesto and plan to propose someone, hopefully Keith is still there and we can have a cursory discussion with him...

Main thing is to get rid of the dictator and make a run for 2022 with Hart, that would be ideal...

WHich means Hart would have a year and change to prepare for the big dance with his team, not the dictators team and a full staff, not half staff and funding

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: December 23, 2017, 12:33:08 PM »
Should Latapy be coaching our youths? seeing he has such a poor discipline record, with stories from Scotland to Trinidad

Reasonable question ... with reasonable answers in the yay and nay columns.

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: December 24, 2017, 02:38:29 PM »
John Williams try yuh best and leave us something good for us to remember you by.

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: December 24, 2017, 02:42:04 PM »
Ah jus see a question about Latapy coaching...on a serious note Latapy should go work under a good experienced Coach..de man lacking in de Coaching department ..as a trainer ..he will do well but Coaching is a different animal.

Compliments of de Season Russel ..teach de kids what yuh know.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: December 24, 2017, 08:28:27 PM »
coache, when you say "..as a trainer ..he will do well but Coaching is a different animal". Are you talking about physical training?

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: December 24, 2017, 10:45:30 PM »
skills training/ technical work

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: December 24, 2017, 11:32:20 PM »
skills training/ technical work

Seeing that he was one of TT best mid-field/playmaker, I would think skills training/tech. work would be his forte. But then again ... his stint as the national coach was disappointing. He did bring along one or two good players during his stint. I can't mentioned them off-hand right now.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #445 on: December 27, 2017, 05:12:17 AM »
DJW skips TTFA AGM while board claims ignorance of $.9 million Pro League subvention.

In the David John-Williams’ 2015 election manifesto, entitled “Imperatives for Change,” he promised that, once elected, he would be “committed to immediately appointing the necessary sub committees, as required under the constitution.”

Further, John-Williams, the candidate, noted that “the proper and efficient function (sic) of these committees are (sic) important to regaining stakeholders’ and corporate confidence in the TTFA.”

In a reconvened AGM on Saturday morning, 24 months after John-Williams was elected Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) president, the local football body finally appointed members for its judicial committees.

Industrial relations manager Newtown George, retired Major General Rodney Smart and attorneys Cedric Neptune and Michael Quamina were proposed—and accepted—as chairs for the Disciplinary, Audit and Compliance, Ethics, and Appeals Committees respectively.

The committees are constituted as follows:

Disciplinary: Newton George (chair), Auldrin Neptune (vice-chair), Sushilla Jadoonanan, John Jeffrey ad Norris Ferguson (members).

Ethics: Cedric Neptune (chair), Cheryl Wallace (vice-chair), Dr Beverly Beckles (member).

Appeals: Michael Quamina (chair), Sandra Elcock-Stanisclaus (vice-chair).

Audit and Compliance: Rodney Smart (chair), Ann-Marie Abbott (vice-chair), Kit Kennedy (member).

Former Central Football Association (CFA) representative to the TTFA Board of Directors and attorney Samuel Saunders was also proposed by the board for a role on the Appeals Committee. However, the membership rejected Saunders owing to concerns about his behaviour during his ultimately unsuccessful challenge to the CFA.

Notably, though, the TTFA Board admitted that, despite John-Williams’ tenure as president being half-completed, the local football body—which is over $15 million in debt—has still not appointed a Finance Committee.

According to multiple sources at the AGM, a lack of financial transparency remains the biggest concern about John-Williams’ tenure so far.

Remarkably, not only was the TTFA president absent from yesterday’s AGM; but he also did not forewarn members about his absence.

According to one member, who spoke on condition of anonymity, neither John-Williams nor any of his three vice-presidents—Ewing Davis, Joanne Salazar and Allan Warner—was present for the scheduled 8am start of the AGM at the Ato Boldon Stadium in Couva.

General secretary Justin Latapy-George was not present either while only one of the TTFA’s 11 board members, Wayne Cunningham, was in attendance. So, the TTFA’s members called the meeting to order themselves with Trinidad and Tobago Football Referees Association (TTFRA) vice-president Osmond Downer taking charge.

It was not until roughly 8.33am that Davis showed up with news that John-Williams was allegedly unwell and could not attend.

With no John-Williams or auditor present, it meant that the AGM could not address the Board’s financial statement while the TTFA president did not forward his address or activity report to be presented by Davis.

Still, several members expressed surprise at the apparent ignorance of the TTFA Board members as regards how local football money was being spent.

By mid-morning, there were five board members present: Davis, Cunningham, Sherwyn Dyer (Eastern Counties Football Union), Richard Quan Chan (Southern FA) and Sharon O’Brien (Women’s League Football). But none could confirm whether the local football body had given $945,000 to Pro League clubs in October and November and why this was approved while the Trinidad and Tobago Super League (TTSL) clubs, regional bodies, beach soccer and Futsal remained empty-handed.

“What came across clearly was either [financial] decisions are being taken that the Board knows nothing about,” TTSL president Keith Look Loy told Wired868, “or the board members know about it and are not prepared to talk.

“Only once, Wayne [Cunningham] departed from that and gave some responses on the issue of compliance for members. Other than that, it came across that the Board didn’t know what was going on.

“[…] In October and November, eight Pro League clubs got a total of $135,000 each from the TTFA. This was verified to me by one Pro League club. But when I raised it, Davis said he would have to check that.

“I said the Pro League clubs said they received [that subvention from the TTFA], so either you’re pretending you don’t know or the money was disbursed by someone else and you don’t know about it.”

Latapy-George, who is reported to have said that his late arrival was due to his preparation of refreshments for the AGM, allegedly told the gathering that he was aware that John-Williams wrote FIFA to request funding for the Pro League and the TTSL. But it was the last he had heard about the matter.

“The board members seemed not to be au courant with quite a few things that were going on with the exception of Cunningham, who was able to answer one or two questions,” stated one source, on condition of anonymity. “Even [Davis] seemed not to be too sure, especially about things concerning the finances.”

Wired868 tried unsuccessfully to reach Latapy-George for comment and also posed the following question to John-Williams: “How much money was given to Pro League clubs by/via the TTFA last season? Was that payment(s) approved by the TTFA Board? Were similar payments made to the TTSL?”

Up to the time of publication, Wired868 had received no response from John-Williams, who is president of Pro League club W Connection.

Before his election, the current TTFA boss had promised to recuse himself from all business involving Connection—which is now run by his daughter, Renee John-Williams—while national football president. However, Wired868 last year revealed that he has continued to involve himself in Connection’s affairs.

In July 2016, John-Williams admitted to using TTFA funds without Board approval to host a meeting of Caribbean officials, just before he announced his ultimately unsuccessful bid to become Caribbean Football Union (CFU) president.

John-Williams’ admission came almost two months after the Caribbean meeting and only after Wired868 revealed his improper use of TTFA funds in an exclusive report. He was never censored for that violation of the TTFA Constitution.

Despite the lack of answers on finances, Saturday’s AGM, which was attended by roughly a dozen persons, did make several pronouncements.

Look Loy’s appointment to the TTFA board was ratified along with that of Sam Phillip, who replaces Dexter Skeene as the Pro League’s representative.

Remarkably, though, the CFA again lost its representation on the Board after representative James Toussaint quit, citing medical issues. The timing of Toussaint’s resignation means that the Association will be left unrepresented until late 2018.

“[Toussaint’s resignation] blindsided us,” said CFA general secretary Clynt Taylor. “We had been unable to get in touch with him for some time and the [CFA] board has not decided on his replacement yet because, when this gentleman gave us his resignation letter, we did not have the time frame necessary to submit someone to be considered.”

On Saturday, the board members present were pressed to deliver more transparency in the future, particularly on financial matters.

“A motion was put forward that the board takes all measures to ensure that the TTFA benefits from TV rights in the future,” stated a source, “and that the membership be fully informed of any matters concerning TV rights. We felt [the current process] was not transparent enough and people want to be fully informed.”

Davis also agreed, as meeting chair, to make minutes for board members available for all members to view at the TTFA’s office while one copy will be sent to bodies, such as the Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL), which have no representation on the Board.

Look Loy, who has criticised John-Williams’ stewardship as president, declared that, now that he is officially a board member, he will continue to push for transparency.

“I know FIFA gives money [to its member associations] for the internal development of football,” said Look Loy. “So I proposed a motion that the TTFA Board must look at the equitable distribution of this money so [it will be] filtered down to bodies that run football as it is intended to.

“The board has not been stringent enough in demanding transparency and information from the Executive of TTFA, meaning the elected officers. I see it as my responsibility to try and change that.”

In a recent interview with Wired868, Look Loy said he did not intend to run for the TTFA presidency. However, the current financial problems afflicting the Pro League potentially give him a chance to extend his influence.

The TTSL, which has eight votes, just two shy of the Pro League’s ten, is the second-largest voting bloc in the TTFA, And, with Pro League clubs concerned about the future of their league, Look Loy offered to make room for them in the Super League.

Defence Force, Police FC and Club Sando already have teams in the TTSL but Pro League champions North East Stars, Connection, Central FC, San Juan Jabloteh, Point Fortin Civic, Morvant Caledonia United and St Ann’s Rangers do not.

Look Loy said it would be up to the TTSL membership to decide how to make room for any interested Pro League teams.

“We will have to work out a political formula with the general membership of the Super League,” said Look Loy. “I cannot tell you what that will look like—if it is to expand the top tier or to maybe take the top five [Pro League clubs].

“The clubs from the Pro League cannot go back to zonal football or just fold up. We will be bringing some more structured and better resourced clubs in [to the TTSL] and that can only be to the benefit of the [TTSL] as a whole.”

Any such restructuring also means that the TTSL would automatically become Trinidad and Tobago’s top tier domestic competition. Look Loy called that “a nice benefit.”

“It also means Super League clubs will have the possibility of qualifying to play Caribbean [club] football,” said the TTSL president.

But what about the 10 votes currently held by the Pro League? Would those be written out of the constitution? Or should the TTSL be given 18 votes—which would mean a voting bloc equivalent to 36 percent of the TTFA’s electorate?

“That is politics at the level of the general membership [because] that requires constitutional change,” said Look Loy. “How much weight would this new body have? That is horse trading and the TTFA’s general membership would have to work that out.”

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: December 27, 2017, 06:55:05 AM »

DJW don't even have the respect for T&T football to step down knowing the major regression that continue to happen from youth to senior, male to female in T&T football under his tenure as Prez

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: December 28, 2017, 10:38:36 AM »

DJW don't even have the respect for T&T football to step down knowing the major regression that continue to happen from youth to senior, male to female in T&T football under his tenure as Prez
Any decent honorable leader who respects his reputation would resign, but despots never take responsibility for their failures and only cling to power in their narcissism!
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: December 29, 2017, 05:12:34 AM »
This is not even a case of jumping from frying pan into fire.  Its more like jumping from fire into more fire!!.....steups!!

:banginghead: :frustrated: :cursing:
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #449 on: February 22, 2018, 02:49:49 AM »
TTFA boss misses AGM again.
T&T Newsday Reports.

David John-Williams, president of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA), was once again a no-show at the TTFA Annual General Meeting which had to be postponed for a fourth time yesterday.

John-Williams, who missed the last AGM due to illness, was abroad on CONCACAF business, attending a meeting on an income generating project.

TTFA member Selby Browne, president of the Veteran Footballers Foundation of Trinidad and Tobago, said yesterday there are questions that need to answered regarding transparency and accountability to have the audited financial statements for 2016 approved.

Two months ago when the TTFA Annual General Meeting (AGM) was first convened on November 25 2017 the Audited financial statements were again presented and remain unapproved to date.

TTFA members have also raised questions regarding the “Home of Football” construction project in Couva.

Browne said yesterday, “Questions have also been asked about the Elite Development Programme, along with the funding for national team programmes, which is reflected in the disastrous results in CONCACAF and FIFA tournaments.”

RELATED NEWS

John-Williams absent again as concerns about TTFA financial statement go unanswered for third meeting

Stakeholders of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) must wait another 30 days at least for answers about the spending of the David John-Williams-led administration, after the local football body’s reconvened AGM on Tuesday 20 February again ended without any clarity on the TTFA’s financial statement for 2016.

For the second successive AGM, John-Williams was a no-show. On 23 December 2017, the TTFA president said he was sick. On Tuesday, TTFA vice-president Ewing Davis—who chaired the meeting in John-Williams’ absence—said the administrator was abroad on FIFA business.

John-Williams’ excuse for skipping the meeting as well as the timing of the AGM itself was not universally accepted in good faith.

“That meeting was to be called within 60 days,” said one TTFA member, who spoke on condition of anonymity. “There were so many weekends that it could have been called, yet it was called on a Tuesday night—a working day—and the President was not there.”

The most crucial item outstanding for TTFA members remains the approval of the football body’s financial statement.

On 19 December, 2016, John-Williams became the first football president to publish the TTFA’s annual financial statement—a move that earned him plaudits in the media and from the public. But there was a catch. The figures shared publicly represented the financial activity of the football body in the year ending in December 2015. However, John-Williams only became president on 30 November 2015.

And, thus far, local football’s commander-in-chief has not been as open about his own spending.

At an extraordinary general meeting on Wednesday 5 July 2017, the TTFA made its first attempt to have its financial statement approved, which is a prerequisite for FIFA funding.

However, general secretary Justin Latapy-George did not forward the document to the membership, as mandated by the TTFA Constitution. Instead, the John-Williams-led Administration attempted to simply read out several pages of financial data to bemused listeners for their approval.

“There were no print-outs available,” said Trinidad and Tobago Football Referees Association (TTFRA) vice-president Osmond Downer at the time. “One man read that this book was examined, etc but nothing was in front of members to look at. So it was decided that [the TTFA’s Audit Report] could not be considered.”

The postponement of the Audit Report began what, to a cynical observer, might look like a cat-and-mouse game.

At the following AGM on 25 November 2017, Latapy-George, acting on instructions from John-Williams, gave financial documents to less than a third of the membership on the supposed grounds that the others were not fully compliant. Once more, the membership successfully resisted, as Downer pointed convincingly to the constitution.

Once John-Williams’ attempt to disenfranchise some members was overruled, the membership was back to where they had started, with most members not having copies of the financial statements or sufficient time to peruse the documents while some argued that the meeting itself was unconstitutional. So, the AGM was postponed to a date within 30 days.

The John-Williams-led TTFA board chose two days before Christmas to stage its AGM. And, this time, the President called in sick and didn’t show. In his absence, Davis presided over the meeting but neither he, Latapy-George nor board member Wayne Cunningham was able to answer questions about the football body’s finances.

“What came across clearly was either [financial] decisions are being taken that the Board knows nothing about,” said TTSL president Keith Look Loy, “or the board members know about it and are not prepared to talk.”

The TTFA had another 30 days to reconvene the AGM. And, on Tuesday 20 February, John-Williams was again absent.

“The general feeling of the people present was the absence of the president meant he didn’t think this was important to him,” Veteran Footballers Foundation of Trinidad and Tobago (VFOTT) president Selby Browne told Wired868, “because he had 60 days to pick a date he could be present.

“Saying he was on FIFA business is nonsense. It is not as if FIFA told him on Monday, ‘find yourself in Zurich tomorrow.’ FIFA’s business is scheduled well in advance.”

Once more, Davis, Latapy-George and Cunningham had no answers for the meeting while the TTFA’s financial officer, Tyril Patrick, was absent. Despite being cash-strapped, the local football body still has not formed a financial committee—although John-Williams is already halfway through his term as president.

“We asked why the financial officer was not there to answer our questions,” said Look Loy, “and the response from the chair, Davis, was that the financial officer changed recently and the new person couldn’t answer questions on the previous period. But that is ludicrous. He has been there for several months and he should be up to speed with what is happening.”

For the third time in the last four meetings, Latapy-George failed to forward necessary documents to the members. On this occasion, the general secretary did not pass on the TTFA’s activity report, which was meant to list the going-ons at the football body in 2016.

“[Latapy-George] got up and started reading and we are there trying to jot down points but it was impossible,” said the anonymous TTFA member. “By the time we were four or five pages in, Osmond got up on a point of order and asked for it to be deferred to the same meeting where we will be considering the financial statement.

“When the secretary called the AGM, all these documents should have been circulated so people will have time and opportunity to study them and make valuable contributions.”

TTFA board meetings are usually poorly attended and, at a reconvened meeting, any turn-out would constitute a quorum. Yet, according to Browne, such was the interest in the football body’s financial statement that at least 35 persons showed up.

“The financial statement says TT$1.26 million was spent on legal fees,” said Browne. “Well, I want to know about the television rights dispute [with Telemundo]. That entire business [of refusing to allow them to exercise their contract] was the action of a lunatic.

“There were also no-brainers like going to court with [former general secretary] Sheldon Phillips. There is no defence for that because you can’t win those things in court. All you are doing is pushing up your legal fees!”

The anonymous member pointed to a line item called “Technical expenses” on the financial statement, which mushroomed from roughly TT$15 million in 2015 to just under TT$32 million in John-Williams’ first year in office.

“Professional fees”—which the members interpret as meaning coaching salaries—is a sub-section of Technical expenses, which has shot up from TT$6 million under Tim Kee to over TT$15 million under the current president.

“The statement says some TT$15 million were spent on Technical expenses but there are no details,” said the member. “Nobody knows all the people who were employed and who was paid what. And nobody was there to answer.”

The payment of coaches is a particularly touchy area for members since the current administration has hired more than a half-dozen persons linked to Pro League club, W Connection, which is owned by the president.

The National Under-14 boy’s team, which is fully funded by the NLCB, is almost entirely made up of Connection staff with Stuart Charles-Fevrier (head coach), Leonson Lewis, Clyde Leon (both assistant coaches), Aquelius Sylvester (goalkeeper coach), Troy Boodoosingh (medic) and Gary St Rose (general manager) all linked to the president’s club. The team manager, Wesley Webb, remains the most expensive signing in Connection’s history.

“Are these people getting double salaries?” asked the anonymous TTFA member. “Are they getting money from W Connection? Or TTFA? Or both?

“Is the TTFA paying W Connection’s coaching salaries?”

Cunningham told Wired868 that the postponement of the meeting did not necessarily mean that the board members present were unable to answer questions.

“The members wanted to hear from the President direct so everybody agreed to that,” said Cunningham. “They said they don’t want second-hand information. And also there was a report that wasn’t circulated and they wanted to see it themselves.”

Browne suggested that Cunningham’s version was not entirely accurate.

“Cunningham said [Latapy-George] can answer for financial matters,” said Browne, “and the General Secretary said no.”

Wired868 asked Cunningham if he could answer the financial queries of the membership.

“That is not my thing,” said Cunningham. “I see my role on the board as looking out for the interests of the zonal bodies.”

According to the TTFA’s Constitution, Latapy-George is supposed to handle the day-to-day operation of the football body on the say-so of the Board. However, stakeholders do not believe this is happening.

“The secretary should know everything that goes on but that doesn’t seem to be the case here,” said the source. “Some people are even feeling sorry for the secretary because he is being kept in the dark about many things. Or, at least, that is the impression we get.”

Browne agreed.

“Neither the board nor directors nor the general secretary are, on a daily basis, au courant with what is transpiring in the TTFA,” said Browne, “because you have two meetings without the president and nobody on the board can say what is the position on ‘A’, ‘B’ or ‘C’.”

Look Loy was not as sympathetic towards the supposed bystanders.

“Whatever problems anyone might have, the point is it is not [John-Williams and his slate] who are supposed to govern but the Board,” said the TTSL president. “And they have not been exercising due diligence in the running of the organisation. They have been letting things slide and by that I mean slide into the abyss.

“Good governance by the Board is essential in rescuing the TTFA from itself. The Board has to exercise leadership. I think the governance of the Association is the problem.”

Look Loy was recently nominated to the Board and attended his first board meeting this year. He will get his chance to impose himself soon enough.

Look Loy and Browne both submitted detailed lists of questions about the running of the football body to the TTFA president, general secretary and Board last year. The former said he is not satisfied that his queries were properly answered while the latter got no more than an acknowledgement.

“The general secretary acknowledged receipt [of my list of questions] but there has been no attempt whatsoever to reply,” said Browne. “It tells me you are not prepared to answer questions of accountability, management of the finances and your fiduciary stewardship.

“[…] Anybody who is not prepared to answer that runs the risk of having people believe you have something to hide.”

Look Loy pointed out that the issues at the AGM went beyond unanswered questions.

“They told us the AGM would be held at the Couva Cycling Centre first, then, without notice, they changed it to the Media Room in the Ato Boldon Stadium,” he said, “So all during the meeting, people are calling me and asking if the meeting is still on because they are at the Cycling Centre and they are not seeing anybody there.

“I made the comment in closing the agenda that the performance of the Board and the Executive was particularly shoddy and woeful. I mean, they can’t even stage a meeting?”

« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 02:40:12 AM by Flex »

1]; } ?>