March 28, 2024, 03:53:14 AM

Author Topic: POWER SOCA MONARCH AND GROOVY SOCA MONARCH COMPETITION TO BE FUSED IN 2016  (Read 2279 times)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
POWER SOCA MONARCH AND GROOVY SOCA MONARCH COMPETITION TO BE FUSED IN 2016
Wednesday 04 November, 2015 (96.1 WE FM)

Power Soca Monarch and Groovy Soca Monarch are no longer two separate categories in the 2016 International Soca Monarch (ISM), and the competition will no longer be televised LIVE as in previous years.

In addition, the results will not be released immediately after the competition on Fantastic Friday as usual, but on Saturday night when a television package will be aired. Subsequently, the sealed results will be announced by auditors.

In an exclusive interview with TTRN, Director of the International Soca Monarch, Mr. Peter Scoon said, "The Power Soca Monarch has always been viewed as the Father of the Groovy Soca but today, Groovy has come of age having developed enormously throughout the years."

He believes the separation has negatively affected the show in an effort to package it as a television product, adding there were too many gaps and that did not resound well with the pay-per view broadcast. Therefore, it is the best alternative for the 2016 ISM.

The Soca Monarch competition will now have a total of seventeen finalists, two of whom will be selected by social media voting. As for the Breakout Artiste category, it is still very much a part of the competition.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 12:36:37 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: POWER SOCA MONARCH AND GROOVY SOCA MONARCH COMPETITION TO BE FUSED IN 2016
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 12:16:05 PM »
This decision to fuse the groovy and power soca monarch competitions makes no sense to me!
They simply need to have better stage management and smaller gaps between performances. Fusing groovy with power is a regressive step in addition to not bringing the show live, its the 21st century for goodness sake! Is this move supposed to help with ticket sales? The new soca monarch organizers seemed to be determined to ruin the tradition of the competition rather than improving on how they manage the show.

Another correction is that Power Soca ain't no father of groovy soca that is uniformed nonsense. When soca music was born in the 1970's the music was typically at a groovy soca pace. Power soca was born out of a general speeding up of soca music in the early 1990's when Superblue started the Jump & Wave soca craze. It just happened that the Soca Monarch Competition was started in 1993 around the time that power soca music had taken off.

What we have seen in recent years is that soca music has gone back to its original balance where the groovy soca pace of soca is dominant. This is the natural balance of soca music for the majority of songs to be at a groovy soca pace because we can't play mas and pretend its carnival all year long.
Power soca is great for carnival but groovy soca is more at a pace that most folks can dance to and appreciate all year long. The artists just need to get back lyrically to the calypso tradition of telling a decent story in their songs and to stop singing on one dimensional topics of wining at carnival while dumbing down and killing off the rich storytelling tradition in the music.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 12:43:33 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 12:47:24 PM »
And what do they mean by not showing it live?
Hopefully they mean the show will not be shown live in T&T but it will be shown live worldwide outside of T&T if the organizers are serious about promoting Soca music to the world as they so love to claim.
Also the live stream to the outside world should really be FREE unless it is going to be a high quality HD feed and the production is going to be tight and to an international standard.

Also those watching the show live on the outside should be able to vote by text and so influence some of the competition results to make the paying for feed and watching the show live worthwhile for those on the outside.

Its also nonsense not announcing the results of the competition at the end of the competition.
Announcing the results the following night in such a non-transparent manner can lead to even more rumors that the results have been fixed and will further help to discredit the integrity of the competition.
Get your act together Soca Monarch organizers!!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 01:16:15 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 02:34:34 PM »
Hear all about the changes to the 2016 Soca Monarch Competition with Director of CPF, Peter Scoon.
He reveals all the reasons for condensation of the two categories into one.

"The Changes To The 2016 Soca Monarch Competition" with CPF Chairman, Peter Scoon
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/1kcUgQPpWDw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/1kcUgQPpWDw</a>

Morning Show with Rennie Bishop featuring Chairman of Caribbean Prestige Foundation (CPF) and Director of the International Soca Monarch, Peter Scoon.

"The Changes To The 2016 Soca Monarch Competition" with ISM Director, Peter Scoon
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/2R5q0IOcRMs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/2R5q0IOcRMs</a>

Breakfast Party with Jaiga, Nikki, Ro'dey and Raw Fusion featuring the Director of the International Soca Monarch (ISM), Peter Scoon.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 04:28:20 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 02:36:28 PM »
Ideally I would put the Groovy Soca Monarch Finals competition on the Friday or Saturday before Carnival weekend and the Power Soca Monarch Finals by itself on Carnival Friday if having both competitions on the same show makes the competition too long and unviable for pay-per-view TV broadcast.
It’s time to separate both competitions anyway especially with the massive quantity of groovy soca being made and groovy soca dominating the market and most of the build-up to carnival.

Alternatively move the Groovy Soca monarch competition outside of Carnival and make it into a massive show on its own and maybe we will start getting soca artists making way more groovy soca tunes on diverse non-carnival topics which should make the music even more attractive to a non-carnival international audience.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 05:30:20 PM »
I hear on CT 105 this am that cnc playing soca monarch finals right about now, but the online site say offline. Was this by plan? anybody find a workaround?

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
International Soca Monarch Finals 2016 (Full Show with Results)
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 12:49:59 AM »
Here is video recording of entire show with results!!

International Soca Monarch Finals 2016 (Full Show with Results)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/I2eUZ_vAus0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/I2eUZ_vAus0</a>

FANTASTIC FRIDAY 5TH FEBRUARY 2016

Carib Breakout Artiste of the Year Final

1. Jadel "All Of It" (Groovy Chutney Soca)
2. Salty "Gyal Meets Brass" (Groovy Jouvay Soca)

Soca Monarch 2016 Finals - Order of Appearance

Position Number - Name - Sobriquet

1. Jason, Prince, / Phillip, Andrews - Cloud 5  "No Behavior (When we touch down)" (Groovy Jab Soca)
2. Jeremiah Prince - M1 AKA Menace "Trouble" (Groovy Jouvay Soca)
3. Peter Wiggins - Peter Ram "All Ah We" (Groovy Soca)
4. Etienne Damian - Hypasounds "How She Like It" (Groovy Soca)
5. Devon Martin - Lyrikal "Freedom" (Groovy Soca)
6. Nesta Boxill - Sekon Sta ft. Nadia Batson "Magic" (Groovy Soca)
7. Akeem Chance - Preedy "Veteran" (Groovy Soca)
8. Shurwayne Winchester - Shurwayne Winchester "Truck Driver" (Power Groovy Soca)
9. Patrice Roberts - Patrice Roberts "Money Done" (Groovy Soca)
10. Ronny Boyce - Pternsky "Non Stop" (Groovy Soca)
11. Darryl Henry - Farmer Nappy "BamBilamBamBilamBilamBam" (Groovy Soca)
12. Akil Borneo - 5 Star Akil "Different Me" (Groovy Soca)
13. Teddyson John - Teddyson John "Allez" (Groovy Soca)
14. Stephenson Marshall - Shal Marshall "Party" (Groovy Soca)
15. Ricardo Barriteau - Ricardo Drue "Professional" (Groovy Soca)
16. Adrian Hackshaw - Third Bass "Bum Bum" (Groovy Soca)
17. Samraj Jaimungal - Rikki Jai "Leh We Fete" (Groovy Soca)
18. Dexter Stewart - Blaxx "Master of Mass" (Groovy Jouvay Soca)
19. Aaron St. Louis - Voice "Cheers to Life" (Groovy Soca)
20. Olatunji Yearwood - Ola "Oh Yay" (Groovy AfroSoca)

RESULT: Carib Breakout Artiste of the Year

Winner Jadel "All Of It" (Groovy Chutney Soca)

RESULTS: International Soca Monarch Finals 2016

Only Top 3 Announced!

Placing - Name - Sobriquet

1. Aaron St. Louis - Voice "Cheers to Life" (Groovy Soca)
2. Akeem Chance - Preedy "Veteran" (Groovy Soca)
3. Patrice Roberts - Patrice Roberts "Money Done" (Groovy Soca)
3. Dexter Stewart - Blaxx "Master of Mass" (Groovy Jouvay Soca)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 10:21:52 AM by Socapro »

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 10:00:40 AM »
I didn't see the finals but I am surprised by the results. I must say though, this year's groovy soca is nice.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 10:23:19 AM »
I didn't see the finals but I am surprised by the results. I must say though, this year's groovy soca is nice.

This year's Power soca is nice as well but 95% of them got sidelined regards radio airplay.

On a related note it looks like Machel will win the road march with his EDM Power soca tune "Waiting For The Stage".

Parade of the Bands happening in T&T right now and Machel is well ahead in the Road March race!

See link to view live: Ctntworld.com The home of Carnival
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 10:25:20 AM by Socapro »

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 10:39:43 AM »

This year's Power soca is nice as well but 95% of them got sidelined regards radio airplay.

On a related note it looks like Machel will win the road march with his EDM Power soca tune "Waiting For The Stage".

Parade of the Bands happening in T&T right now and Machel is well ahead in the Road March race!

See link to view live: Ctntworld.com The home of Carnival

Thanks pro, I'm taking in the mass right now!  :beermug:

1]; } ?>