April 17, 2024, 09:21:59 PM

Author Topic: 2017 FIFA U-20 World Cup held in South Korea  (Read 81456 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 FIFA U-20 World Cup held in South Korea
« Reply #630 on: May 21, 2017, 06:08:26 PM »
Surprise Venezuela 2- Germany 0!  :o??

In the strictest of senses, yes. 

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: May 23, 2017, 04:26:50 AM »
Vanuatu almost surprised Mex. Lost 3-2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFCxItp1Xqk

And Venezuela just delivered a more authoritative performance versus Vanuatu than Mexico produced versus Vanuatu. Final score: 7-0.

With Germany to play Vanuatu on Friday and clear favorites to prevail, the two key matches in the group are Mexico v Germany (teams warming-up now) and Mexico v Venezuela (on Friday).

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: May 23, 2017, 05:09:27 AM »
So I wonder if DJW will start approaching Ven. for some wrm up games, seeing we just need a pirogue to go there!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: May 26, 2017, 02:48:15 AM »
Another stellar performance from Venezuela in progress. Crisp, fast and precise ball circulation accompanied by some Rondonesque bullying interplay on top. Mexico was forced to make a tactical substitution at 39'.

Still left to be seen whether the neighbours will preserve their lead, but the goalscorer will definitely be flying out on a contract.

Offline chelsealife

• You must be the change you wish to see in this world
  • Hero Warrior
  • Its BLUE, what else matters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: May 26, 2017, 05:19:16 PM »
Penarada from Venezuela is class. Hope Watford brings him back next season to play in the prem

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: June 04, 2017, 04:22:42 AM »
Penarada from Venezuela is class. Hope Watford brings him back next season to play in the prem

Not sure they will be able to keep him. I suspect some business will be done on the back of this tournament.

I thought the US would present difficulty for Venezuela and that was delivered. With that hurdle overcome, the neighbours could pull this off depending on who they progress to play. Have just seen the result. Still to view the match.

Ah have a feeling we've seen the end of Tab Ramos' run as US U-20 coach.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: June 04, 2017, 06:19:14 AM »
One of the best penalty shootouts: Portugal v Uruguay. Score one for ABBA.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: June 04, 2017, 10:06:31 AM »
Glad for Venezuela. They have been at the "doormat" for years. Hope they win it. Kind of wishful thinking.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: June 05, 2017, 04:45:16 AM »
June 5, 2017. Italy v Zambia: highly recommended viewing for a neutral. Easily one of the most gripping U-20 matches ever, but not the best day for the Ecuadoran referee.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: June 05, 2017, 08:25:28 AM »
Glad for Venezuela. They have been at the "doormat" for years. Hope they win it. Kind of wishful thinking.
Venezuela is playing good ball, they could more than well win this tournament.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: June 05, 2017, 10:27:39 AM »
Dominant Venezuela reach semis, eventually
FIFA

Quarterfinals.

Venezuela are into the final four of the FIFA U-20 World Cup Korea Republic 2017 after a dominant display was forced into extra-time by a dogged USA, eventually earning a 2-1 win.

The rhythm of the game was a consistent one, though neither side will be particularly happy with the recurring themes. For USA, it was that they faced a constant barrage of pressure from Venezuela. For the South Americans, it was the fact they were remarkably profligate in front of goal.

The match was barely a minute old before Jonathan Klinsmann was forced into a fine save to deny Nahuel Ferraresi, before stopping Penaranda low to his right. Sergio Cordova thought he had broken the deadlock, but after the referee consulted the VARs, he was found to have been marginally offside before converting.

There was no change in the direction of traffic after the break, with Ronaldo Chacon rattling the bar within three minutes, before Cordova did likewise. The latter similarly spurned a great opportunity as he fired straight at Klinsmann, with a Penaranda cross later causing havoc as the disbelief at the scoreline was evident on both sides.

Erik Palmer-Brown almost completed an incredible smash-and-grab but failed to properly connect with a free header with the final touch of regular time. It was a costly miss, as Penaranda made up for spurning earlier opportunities by firing La Vinotinto ahead in extra time.

Ferraresi was also ultimately able to beat Klinsmann too. Crucially so as Jeremy Ebobisse almost instantly halved the deficit. However, it was not enough to deny Rafael Dudamel’s side extending their best-ever U-20 World Cup.

Match Highlights: Venezuela v USA.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: June 05, 2017, 10:32:48 AM »
Uruguay progress, Portugal pay the penalty
FIFA

Quarterfinals.

Uruguay beat Portugal 5-4 in a penalty shootout after the match ended 2-2 after extra-time to advance to the FIFA U-20 World Cup Korea Republic 2017 semi-finals.

The match took no time at all to spring to life as Xande Silva scored after just 55 seconds, the eighth-fastest goal in U-20 World Cup history. Xadas dispossessed Federico Valverde in midfield before delivering a precise pass into Silva's path. The Vitoria Guimaraes man finished his chance superbly with a dinked shot past Santiago Mele.

Santiago Bueno equalised for Uruguay 15 minutes later with a close-range header after Nicolas Schiappacasse's volley from Valverde's corner kick had initially hit the crossbar.

Portugal then regained the lead courtesy of a goal-of-the-tournament contender from Diogo Goncalves. Portugal's No7 cut in from the left wing with his right foot before firing a venomous effort into the opposite top corner, leaving Mele with no chance.

Uruguay fought back once again, this time with a penalty early in the second half after Yuri Ribeiro fouled Agustin Canobbio in the area. Valverde made no mistake from the spot, making amends for his error in the opening minute.

Neither side could find the winner in regulation or extra-time, so penalties in the "ABBA" format decided the outcome, and it was Uruguay's night as goalkeeper Santiago Mele crucially made two saves in the shootout with Bueno eventually scoring the winner.

There will now be an all-South American semi-final as Uruguay will face Venezuela in the semi-finals on 8 June in Daejeon.

Match Highlights: Portugal v Uruguay.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: June 05, 2017, 10:36:50 AM »
Ten-man Italy edge Zambia, advance to semis
FIFA

Quarterfinals.

Ten-man Italy beat Zambia 3-2 after extra-time in a thrilling encounter to advance to the semi-finals of the FIFA U-20 World Cup Korea Republic 2017.

Patson Daka scored his second goal of the tournament inside the first four minutes to give the Junior Chipolopolo an early lead. Emmanuel Banda found Daka with a carefully-weighted and perfectly-timed through pass, and the forward finished the move with aplomb, chipping his shot past Andrea Zaccagno.

The Italians responded with wave after wave of attack, but failed to find the crucial breakthrough. The match then took a significant turn right before half-time when, after a video assistant referee review, Giuseppe Pezzella received a straight red card for a shove on Edward Chilufya that denied an obvious goalscoring opportunity.

Against all odds, Italy scored an equaliser within five minutes at the start of the second half. Riccardo Orsolini scored his fourth of the tournament when he guided home a header from the back post after a cross by Giuseppe Panico

Fashion Sakala then matched Orsolini with his fourth of the tournament in the 84th minute with a well-placed strike into the top corner from 12 yards. Zambia thought they were through, but substitute Federico Dimarco had other ideas.

The substitute curled in a superb free-kick inside Zambia's left post to send the match into extra-time. Zambia nearly scored in extra-time when substitute Kenneth Kalunga fired just wide of goal after neatly juggling the ball past Italy's defence. The Africans would be made to rue that missed opportunity.

In the 110th minute, two substitutes combined to score the winning goal as Dimarco's corner kick found Luca Vido eight yards from goal and he headed in from close range to send the Italians into the U-20 World Cup semi-finals for the first time.

Match Highlights: Italy v Zambia.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: June 05, 2017, 10:41:21 AM »
Solanke fires England into last four
FIFA

Quarterfinals.

England edged Mexico 1-0 thanks to a second-half strike from Dominic Solanke to book the last semi-final ticket at the FIFA U-20 World Cup Korea Republic 2017.

Solanke received a pin-point pass from Young Lions captain Lewis Cook as he made a run on top of the penalty area. He then hit a low shot which proved too difficult for Abraham Romero to save, deflecting off his leg before hitting the back of the net.

England were able to hold on and keep the clean sheet despite Joshua Onomah's dismissal in the 72nd minute due to receiving two yellow cards.
Paul Simpson's side now face Italy on 8 June in Jeonju to play for a place in the Korea Republic 2017 final.

Match Highlights: Mexico v England.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: June 08, 2017, 08:36:56 AM »
Venezuela and England have qualified for the final. Both rode and made their luck during the tournament, and both demonstrated their ability to overcome adversity during match phases.

It would have been interesting to see how Venezuela would have handled Zambia in the semis, but that was not to be. The Zambians returned to Lusaka yesterday and were met by senior political figures at the airport - a testament to the high quality with which they represented the country. Extremely high technical ability was on display. World-class.

Should be an excellent final featuring the best two teams in the tournament. Tough to call.

Have to ask this: where would England's U-20 NT be without immigrants?

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: June 08, 2017, 08:44:18 AM »
Have to ask this: where would England's U-20 NT be without immigrants?
Seems like they took a page out on France's book :D

Happy for Venezuela though, I will like to see them win it.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: June 11, 2017, 06:04:18 AM »
England finally wins a World Cup honestly. :P

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: June 11, 2017, 07:54:22 AM »
Venezuela,yes folks Venezuela our closest neighbours of just a few miles away.They played baseball,that was their game,and Trinidad and Jamaica wouldn't have given them a second glance as far as football is concerned back in the 60s.Just think or try to work out,why did our football regress to the bottom rung of the ladder,we are going nowhere,one can only assume that the people in charge,don't have a bloody clue,a bunch of dunces and posers.Who would have even mentioned Venezuela getting into an Under 20 WC final 20 years ago,my guess...no one.Big country mentality at work,small island mentality will keep the population down until we change our character.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: June 11, 2017, 08:55:11 AM »
Frico, I agree with your sentiments. But honestly, Venezuela never cared too much about playing the Caribbean teams(with the exception of Cuba) until Haiti, JA,TT made it to the WC. But I always thought we should be playing Ven. because they were always better than us(In my opinion).

In the early 70s, Ven send their national team to TT. They sent a university squad thinking they could handle we. TT destroy them in 3 games. And we did not have any pros on the squad. Steve was with Police. Buggy, Ken and Selwyn Murren, Brewster, Jimmy Springer, etc. So Ven invited TT to play a 2 game series in Caracas and they defeated the TT team. But Ven used their pros. TT was an all amateur team. But I always thought TTFA, especially with Jack on board should have done that. Especially him being a FIFA head honcho at the time.

But look and see all the Venezuelan bandwagonist now. All them Trinis who could be Ven. citizens thru parentage going to be touting that they is Venezuelans now. But honestly, I am extremely glad for Ven. football. This run by the U20 was in the works for a while. And I dare to say the deceased Hugo Chavez had a big hand in that. He spend the money on facilities and programs to improve on the "doormat" status in Conmebol. Going to Caracas for a regular 3 points is no longer guaranteed.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: June 11, 2017, 02:47:33 PM »
Deeks                  I left TT at an early age but up to when I left in 68 we had played many teams,my father took me to games from the age of 10 and up to 68 we never touched even the idea of playing them.I lived very near Skinner Park and many Venezuelians used to play impromtu football matches in the park,people used to laugh at how they played,I did too.I was basing my argument on what I saw,I also had many relatives in Venezuela,Caracas,whenever we visited I would ask about football,and they would laugh,we play baseball no football,maybe that gave me the wrong impression.I always respect what some of you blokes say,and I am now very,very surprised that you say,you have always thought that Venezuela was better than us,in your opinion,i'll accept that you obviously know more than me,and swallow it like a bitter pill,I am pleased to be put right.RESPECT
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 02:49:14 PM by frico »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: June 12, 2017, 10:32:52 PM »
Deeks                  I left TT at an early age but up to when I left in 68 we had played many teams,my father took me to games from the age of 10 and up to 68 we never touched even the idea of playing them.I lived very near Skinner Park and many Venezuelians used to play impromtu football matches in the park,people used to laugh at how they played,I did too.I was basing my argument on what I saw,I also had many relatives in Venezuela,Caracas,whenever we visited I would ask about football,and they would laugh,we play baseball no football,maybe that gave me the wrong impression.I always respect what some of you blokes say,and I am now very,very surprised that you say,you have always thought that Venezuela was better than us,in your opinion,i'll accept that you obviously know more than me,and swallow it like a bitter pill,I am pleased to be put right.RESPECT

Frico, Respect.

I have never been to Ven. but have followed their football thru. newspapers, football magazines, etc. They have had a pro league going back to the 50s. Allan Joseph(Sedly big brother), Mathew Nunes, and some others that I can't remember off hand, all played pro-ball in Ven.  So Archie, Deleon, Cummings, Lincoln, Victor are not the first set of pros to go overseas. When the 74 WC team came back from Haiti, Valencia(the Ven. champs from 71 and 73 runners-up came to TT for a game. I can't remember the score, but the team had Brazilians, Arg. and Colombians. They played some good ball. So despite their baseball pedigree, they do play  decent football. Decent against us but not good enough against the South American giants. But Chavez really put some money into their football when he was alive. But We all agree that TTFA and Ven should set up an annual "Gulf of Paria Cup". Allyuh eh think so?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: July 01, 2017, 04:32:58 AM »

Not sure they will be able to keep him. I suspect some business will be done on the back of this tournament.

I thought the US would present difficulty for Venezuela and that was delivered. With that hurdle overcome, the neighbours could pull this off depending on who they progress to play. Have just seen the result. Still to view the match.

Work permit application denied. And that despite England's U-20 NT coach appearing on his behalf at the hearing to emphasize the player's quality. If Penaranda cyah secure a work permit, woe betide many others.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: July 01, 2017, 07:25:49 PM »

Work permit application denied. And that despite England's U-20 NT coach appearing on his behalf at the hearing to emphasize the player's quality. If Penaranda cyah secure a work permit, woe betide many others.
France or Spain can be options

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: July 02, 2017, 02:55:34 AM »
Or Putigal.

1]; } ?>